Schlumberger Employee Reviews

SLB Review
Technical Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 December 2016
I enjoyed my work period with SLB , its one of the best and leading oilfield companies in the oil field

Enjoyed the several assignments and positions which I had ,it has given me a lot of Technical,Marketing and customer service experience

one of the biggest challenges which I had is working in remote location and leading ,train my team, it was a great joy for me which made me realize that I am capable of doing a great achievements.

one of the greatest lessons I learnt that to achieve a goal and to have an outstanding performance is by believing in your team and always give the right coaching and support to them

Good relations with your co-workers is a key for success
Productive, awesome learning experience and global company
Junior Reservoir Engineer (Former Employee) –  Venezuela25 November 2016
Great management
Amazing co-workers
Fun learning, tons of interesting field cases
Fast pace
High level standards of safety, quality and service
Pros
High standards of QHSE
Cons
Moderate Work life/balance
good
TOUGH LOGGING OPERATIONS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB14 November 2016
Excellent way to progress in life and employment. good foundation for growth. able to travel the world in a short amount of time
really nice and friendly place to work
Senior Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC11 November 2016
I love working in the oil patch driving into new territory and the mountains meeting new people also the pay salary was really good
Pros
driving
Fun work
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB8 November 2016
Fracking was a very good job, great benefits base salary is low but bonus are very good
The company is safety oriented and you will learn great deal and that translates in to moving up the latter
Pros
Pension and benefits
Cons
Long hrs
A very safe place to work for due to its safety culture
Field Specialist - Reservoir Evaluation Wireline (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB, Alberta and SK4 November 2016
If you are starting a career in the oil and gas industry this is the perfect place to work for. You learn new things everyday in the oilfield. This company spends more money than any other company with regards to training. They send us around the world in there SLB Engineer/Specialist Schools and is the best perk you get. Applications of new technology is the main plus with SLB. You will work with technologies 5 to 10 yrs ahead of the next competitor.
Pros
Learning new technology
Cons
not much
My working period in schlumberger is very useful to me to add alot of skills to me
Base manager (Current Employee) –  Egypt4 November 2016
- I learned a lot from my working like QHSE , operation skills and management skills and also added to my company
- coordinating meetings and courses to other employees
- there are initiatives co-workers
Good for young graduates
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Aktau31 October 2016
Really good experience to "survive"
working under pressure
lots of trainings to meet new people
work hard party hard type of mentality
Pros
field bonuses
Cons
working during the winter in the field sucks
Great company to learn
General Field Engineer & Engineer In Charge (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 October 2016
Working for Schlumberger gave me a lot of experience, they have an awesome organized system that helps you to grow following a pre set path.
Pros
Awesome Development Program
Cons
This was a challenging occupation, with many days away from home. Physically demanding, with exposure to harsh weather elements.
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB14 October 2016
A typical day at the office started with a pre-trip/maintenance check of my equipment. Then mobilization of a convoy of frac equipment to the next location where after rigging in all the frac equipment and pump lines we would have a pre job safety meeting. The work was always dealing with high pressures, flammable substances and harsh chemicals. A highly dangerous occupation.

I learned to work safe, operate many types of equipment and acquired my Class 1 drivers licence through the Schlumberger driving school located at Didsbury, Alberta. This was a very valuable experience that I will always carry forward with me in my driving skills.

Management was authoritative and strict (for good reason). But fair and non-judgmental.

My co-workers where hard working, hard playing, fearless individuals with a sense of adventure and daring.

The hardest part of the job was being away from home for long periods of time.

The most enjoyable was sharing the days events with my crew after work with cold beverage. And pay day!
Pros
Professional driver training of large rigs, I became proficient at operating many types of heavy equipment.
Cons
Long periods away from home. Heavy work in harsh weather conditions.
Very nice office environment pre-recession, not so good during or post
Production & Drilling Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 September 2016
- Typical day at work, would include daily morning meetings to assess support calls.
- co-workers are really friendly, there is a really nice environment at the office.
- unfortunately I myself experienced bad management due to changes in my direct supervisors and left stranded.
- before the downturn the office environment was very enjoyable, with lot of incentives for employees.
- During and post recession the office environment was very pessimistic.
Pros
Lots of lunch and learns with free lunch
Cons
Too many managment changes
Excellent traings work place,International diversity
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, ON10 September 2016
It is the best Company to work in whole world. It has excellent trainings programmes. Very challenging, Diversity,
I am proud I worked for this company.
Management likes their buddy system
EO (Former Employee) –  BC10 September 2016
as long as you tell your manager how wonderful and great they are...you're good. Once you decide not to go drinking with them or not to always agree you're done and you loose your job. Typical oilfield....everybody is the smartest but at the end they're all talentless nobodies with big financed trucks....I'm happy I'm out...!!!
Pros
I learned how to drive
Cons
Backstabbers, liars and cant trust anyone
Best company to work with.
Various positions as per resume (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2016
- Challenging work
- Individual responsibility
- Yearly work assessment and review
- Accountability
- Financial budgets & targets set well ahead of the year
- Very good Leadership & motivation
- Excellent Managerial skills
- Management information systems
- Team work and job excellence
- Job Training & skills
Pros
Quick promotions, work recognition and salary increases.
Cons
Travelling with family around the world, education for children being effected
Terrible work environment and experience
Geophysical Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 September 2016
I was told " You think too much". And " That's how we've always done it". Upper management had wonderful and logical ideas and goals but middle management were always just covering their bottom lines, and not in the most efficient and fair manner. I really don't understand how anything gets done.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Atmosphere
Busy company with opportunity for advancement
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 August 2016
i really do not wish to publicly review a company. i feel that my opinions are better kept on a personal level, and can be communicated on a one on one basis with those truly interested.
Cons
Life away from family
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB23 August 2016
Schlumberger is a great place to work. They really strive to create a balanced work home life. There is plenty of room for advancement as I have seen over my career. The training is endless due to the significant importance focused on safety.
Pros
training
Cons
Good company to start your professional career
Field Service Manager in Charge (Former Employee) –  Venezuela20 August 2016
SLB is an awesome company to start your professional career, they offer you awesome training and development of your skills, you can follow a career path clear and straight forward. I adquired great skills working with them and was a blessing in my life.
Decent environment, but a bit too high pressure.
Remote Connectivity Manager - staff (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 August 2016
High pressure with poor direction and vision. Management was overly strict.

Every employees is expected to be a salesperson which, if you aren't comfortable doing this, is hard and created unnecessary pressure.
Pros
Decent pay, good benefits and ok environment.
Cons
High pressure, stress and poor direction from management.
Productive and Fun workplace
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB29 July 2016
I work evening shift, I learned a lot from my area. I became team leader. My co- workers are hardworking and easy to get along. The hardest part of the the when the machines breaks down. the most enjoying of the job when everybody are working hard together .
Pros
free dinner once a month