Schlumberger Employee Reviews in Canada

good people, very unorgonized
Instrument Technician Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 31, 2013
You would walk into the building and you would see everyone have a smile on their face and a cheery attitude. My co-workers were very understanding and taught me effectively and explained what was happening with the object we were constructing or testing. Management was going through a change, so everything was left unorgonized and a big mess. This also was the hardest part of the job, because there was no set Manager or supervisor. But the people were easy to talk to, so if there was a problem it could get dealt with effectivly.
Pros
everyone was very friendly
Cons
unorgonized, made it hard to do work
overall a good place to work
CNC Lathe Operator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABOctober 22, 2014
I enjoyed my time here. My trainer was patient and kind, I enjoyed the work. They even built me a change room as I was the only female working in the shop! The life/work balance was really good. The benefits of working for such a large company was great.

The work itself could be physically demanding but I enjoyed that immensely.
Pros
free lunches at the safety meeting, good pay, nice environment, nice coworkers, safe, clean
Cons
loud, noisy, physically demanding
Great but challenging
Well Testing Technician (Former Employee) –  Hassi MessaoudJuly 14, 2014
When you work for SLB, you have to dedicate yourself to this company, forget about everything you have and just devote yourself for your job otherwise you will be unsuccessful.
I learnt how to be persuasive, hard worker, and keep on trying until either you succeed or you broke down.
Management is in between, they just look at the bottom line.
Co-workers are among the worst I have seen, they never share.
The hardest part of the job is to adapt to the system.
The most enjoyable part of it, is when you quite.
Pros
trainings
Cons
long rotations
Great company for advancement but poor work/life balance
MWD specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 5, 2012
Very large multinational company with vast areas for career advancement throughout the world. Good pay and benifits but the no set work schedule
Nice place to work for beginners
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 26, 2015
Nice place to work for beginners. Good training, good money. Travel a lot. Not really paying attention to performance when it comes to lay offs.
Pros
Training
Cons
No life/work balance.
oil field work
HEAVY INDUSTRY OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 8, 2013
Long hours and very dangerous but good salary.The oilfield is unstable and you may find yourself out of work for months at a time. Not stable employment.
Pros
good wage
Cons
too dangerous
Great management
Cenent helper (Former Employee) –  Ft St John BCSeptember 19, 2013
Short time there but great training company. Always busy which is great for job security. Up for sending its people anywhere to get the training they need.
Pros
training
Cons
long long hours
Terrible unless you are an engineer
Wireline Operator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABJune 6, 2013
Worked there for 2 years as a Wire line Operator. No chance of advancement unless you were an Engineer. Engineers that would screw up or injure themselves would be promoted while there was no room for advancement for operators.

Always worked with rookie Engineers that would have no clue in their job but were too "smart" to listen to anyone that was not an Engineer.

Had to fight to receive bonuses that were earned on jobs.
Pros
good pay in busy winter months (3 months per year)
Cons
no respect given to anyone other than engineers
Schlumberger
Coil Tubing Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABOctober 29, 2012
Great group of people both in the field and office, very hard working culture. Schlumberger has the reputation world wide as one of the leading well servicing providers, and in Grande Prairie our division of coil tubing was held to the same title. We frequently would work long term contracts for high profile companies such as Imperial, Encana, Nexen, etc. This working environment was very demanding and helped shape me into the person I am today.
Pros
advanvced experience
Cons
working away from home
Busy work environment . Great food at camp and good pay
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 5, 2013
On call 24/7 get read pre trip the truck dive to fill up then to the job site. Back the truck up get set up . 4 Runs assemble tools first run nap, second run the winch , 3 run nap 4 run the winch. Each time take apart the tools into a new tool string . Clean all the tool every time they come out of the hole. Load the truck back up . drive back to camp sleep till next job.
Pros
expenses for food and travel. good camp food and ok salaries.
Cons
long hours . sleep managment, cold weather, 3 weeks on one week off
Easy going, Productive and Energetic Person
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Morochas - VenezuelaApril 29, 2015
I had the opportunity in this company to improve many skills, such as negotiated, purchased, Managed Event for employees, prioritized task, always be attentive to solve problem and how avoid waste time and money. Oversaw people.
Pros
Be leader, member team
Cons
always busy
Very dynamic due to the nature of the activities
HEALTH, SAFETY AND ENVIRONEMENT ADVISOR/MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Last assignment in Airdrie, AB CanadaMarch 13, 2013
From 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Learned how to manage a facility
Good relationship with co-workers
Dealing with new employees
I enjoyed achieving my individual and company objectives
Enjoy managing the Health, Safety and Environment System
Pros
benefit: free lunch
Cons
long hours as manager
not a bad company to work for
Wire line Operator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABOctober 29, 2012
shop, maintain tools, truck inspection,drive to lease, rig up, run winch to lower tools into well, rig out, drive back or stay in camp, or hotel.
co workers hard to work with not allowing you to get your hands dirty.
direct sunlight with heat and humitity
enjoyed learning different and new things
Pros
golf tournament
Cons
long hours is an understatement, on job from 18 hrs to36 plus hrs
Proactively Innovative with great regards to Employees Development
Chief Acquisition Engineer (Current Employee) –  InternationalSeptember 2, 2012
If you like exciting challenges, if you like to be continuously developed, if you want to believe that you are capable of consistently exceeding limits, if you love to experience the world, then Schlumberger is the place for you.
Pros
employees development
Cons
work life balance
Good company, poor communication
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, albertaJuly 7, 2012
Woeking with SLB (Schlumberger) has been very educational and a challenge. The excessive on-call and the lack of clear future have taken a toll on my personal being and I need change. Wonderful company, it is me that needs the change
Pros
large and places to go
Cons
long hours and excessive on-call
Professional
Bulk Plant Administrator (Former Employee) –  LLoydminster ABMarch 23, 2015
Schlumberger was a good company to work with . They ensured that you had most of the training that you needed to do the job that you were hired to do
Great pay, long hours required
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABMarch 20, 2013
The pay while working at Schlumberger was great, although the tradeoff was long hours and a 15 on, 6 day off schedule. Having 6 days off in a row was great, although some people might prefer a different schedule.
Pros
great pay
Cons
long work hours (12-16 hour days)
The power to train and assess commercial class 1 drivers
Heavy Vehicle Driver Trainer (Temp) (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, ABJanuary 5, 2015
The job for the most part is fun with a few twists along the way from students. Free lunch is a bonus but no opportunity to become a full-time employee because assignment is through Manpower.
Pros
staff easy to work with - free lunches
Cons
job through manpower with no hopes of a full-time position
work and fun
System Engineer (Former Employee) –  work at Schlumberger EgyptOctober 20, 2013
A first thing to do is to check mail to see if a server has send an error notification, then check log for all servers and disk storage to see a warning or fatal error if a major error exist we begin to deal with it immediately by our team . after the daily check , I open the web to take the users ticket ( Intouch tickets) and solve them.It is a good thing to learn how to manage your time to deal with all problems in a way to be sure that things done 100% in the right way without errors,
the preferable part that if a problem appears, all the team deals with it together to eliminate any possibility that an error occur. The hardest part of the job is when we plan for total shutdown of the center to do an upgrade (software or hardware) that continue for more than one day in a weekend, and the most enjoyable part is that we always install the latest technologies for servers or big data storage.
productive work place
Operator 1 (Former Employee) –  WhiteCourt AlbertaSeptember 18, 2012
great company to work for. money can be great to if you get on coil tubing or fracing i was a cementer and work long hours some time for no much pay off
Pros
great guys
Cons
not so good money