Schlumberger Employee Reviews in Canada

it can be fun at times
Maintenance Mechanic / Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  CalgarySeptember 27, 2015
Pay is decent but you are overworked with very little appreciation
from the Management Team. I learned allot on my 2 years working there, allot of training. Got laid off when the Oil Bug hit
Pros
free lunch
Cons
I like the people working there
Senior Machinist (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABNovember 5, 2015
It was a very good job, work with very good people, depend too much on the price of oil in the market, not very busy at times because not enough drilling.
Fast pace, long hours, great benefits, good bonus system.
Equipment operator/Cementer (Former Employee) –  Whitecourt, ABJune 30, 2015
Good company to work for:
- Great bonus system
-All right salary
- Good amount of days off 15 on 6 off
- Training is good but needs work
- Management needs work but works hard to get the answers for you
-hardest part is being on call and be woken up around midnight onwards.
Pros
great pay, great benefits, good amount of time off
Cons
long hours, on call for 15 days without much warning.
Great job
Operator /Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABOctober 9, 2015
People were great, work was great and loved doing my job. Nothing really hard about the job. The most enjoyable part was driving and being able to do my job with ease.
Professional company
Field service Engineer (Current Employee) –  TorontoSeptember 21, 2015
Schlumberger is a very professionally run company with excellent perks. I have spent good times working here. It is a multinational firm with branched world wide.
Good for fresh out
Senior Directional Driller & OSE Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 22, 2015
Worked over 8 years with slb. enjoyed the training system as well as hard working time in the field. I gained both operations experience and valuable skills, that provides me solid foundation to competently work in both oil field and office.
Hard but rewarding
Well tester (Former Employee) –  AberdeenSeptember 10, 2015
Good development opportunities and help progression, never standing still.

The company expects complete dedication but you are rewarding for your efforts.
Pros
travel the world
Cons
Good workplace with different multinationals
Maintenance Supervisor in Charge of Akpo (Former Employee) –  Harcourt, ONJune 19, 2015
A good workplace where emphasis on training and retraining of personnel. A workplace with different multinationals in achieving a desire goal. It's one the best in Oilfield services world wide, that provide quality services to clients.
Cons
Long hours while on the field
Great salary and benefits and good work/life balance. Large company that treats you like a number and is prone to swings in the price of oil
Drilling Product Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABMarch 16, 2015
Position within schlumberger was not typical one, where usually work life balance is extremely bad and family life is near impossible. Had great work life balance. Superb benefits and great benefits. Was however laid off due to low oil price and right after had my first baby, which they do not care about due to their size
Pros
benefits, salary
Cons
work life balance, job security and satisfactions
Geoscientist presently working in Schlumberger.
Petrophysicist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaMarch 14, 2015
A typical day at work is usually busy with a lot to do most especially when there are deadlines to meet.

Great to work with a set of like-minded and technically competent co-workers.

Quite a lot of unqualified folks in middle management.

Upper management mostly oblivious to the concerns of the average worker.

Hardest part of the job is having to work with Managers who have little appreciation for effort/time put in on the job.
Pros
great training programs
Cons
long hours and very little work-life balance
Room for advancement but no life
Wireline General Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Nisku, ABJune 19, 2015
Room for advancement but terrible work/life balance. Work a lot of hours. Management is always changing sometimes making it very difficult to deal with so many different managers.
Easy going, Productive and Energetic Person
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Morochas - VenezuelaApril 29, 2015
I had the opportunity in this company to improve many skills, such as negotiated, purchased, Managed Event for employees, prioritized task, always be attentive to solve problem and how avoid waste time and money. Oversaw people.
Pros
Be leader, member team
Cons
always busy
Good experience
Completion Field Expert (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 13, 2015
I had a good experience working for Schlumberger, they have a good training and development courses. As a former employee I can say that this company deserves to be number one among service companies.
Pros
Trainings
Cons
Salary and bonuses are lower than average
A 24-hour lifestyle job
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 25, 2015
Schlumberger oilfield services is a multi-national oil servicing company. They have a diversified network of staff from virtually all parts of the world. Working with Schlumberger obviously afforded me the opportunity to travel wide and interact with people of different backgrounds and cultures. I learnt to understand the nuances of different ethnicities and respect their boundaries and ethics while successfully working with them as a team. The compensations from the job was very encouraging however, the job is very demanding depending on ones role. This is why it may be usually referred to as a 24-hour lifestyle- meaning one could be called upon anytime as an employee to render service for the company.
Pros
diversification enhances learning
Cons
a very demanding job
Nice place to work for beginners
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 26, 2015
Nice place to work for beginners. Good training, good money. Travel a lot. Not really paying attention to performance when it comes to lay offs.
Pros
Training
Cons
No life/work balance.
I really enjoyed my time at Schluberger, it came to an end due to slow down in the oilfield and then lay offs took effect.
Administration (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABFebruary 23, 2015
I loved the variety of tasks in a day. Management was great. The hardest part of the job, is not knowing weather the oilfield is going to slow down and then I would be out of a job.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
some days not enough hours in a day
Very rewarding place to work if you work hard and work a lot.
Lead Technician/ Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NLDecember 12, 2014
Good company to work for as long as you pull your weight and are not afraid to work long hours and spend time away from home and family. Very rewarding if you do a good job and want to advance.
The hardest part of the job is the demand from the oil companies, as SLB is a service company we are at the bec and call of the oil companies. There is general a lot of short notice changes or ad hawk projects because of this.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the recognition and working with great co workers.
The power to train and assess commercial class 1 drivers
Heavy Vehicle Driver Trainer (Temp) (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, ABJanuary 5, 2015
The job for the most part is fun with a few twists along the way from students. Free lunch is a bonus but no opportunity to become a full-time employee because assignment is through Manpower.
Pros
staff easy to work with - free lunches
Cons
job through manpower with no hopes of a full-time position
Coil Tubing
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABFebruary 10, 2015
Over all the crew that you work with is your family, if that sound like the environment for you then your in good hands, Management went through many changes and overall was great, hardest part was adapting if you have never worked in the oil fields before.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
12 hour days 15 days strait
overall a good place to work
CNC Lathe Operator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABOctober 22, 2014
I enjoyed my time here. My trainer was patient and kind, I enjoyed the work. They even built me a change room as I was the only female working in the shop! The life/work balance was really good. The benefits of working for such a large company was great.

The work itself could be physically demanding but I enjoyed that immensely.
Pros
free lunches at the safety meeting, good pay, nice environment, nice coworkers, safe, clean
Cons
loud, noisy, physically demanding