Schlumberger Employee Reviews

Good work practices.
Equipment Operator (Contractor), Fracturing Dept (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 13, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Schlumberger. The way tasks and workloads are divided up amongst the crews and crew members makes sense. Everyone knows what to do because the supervisors are well organized.
Pros
Good work environment.
Cons
I was only a contractor.
Great technical and management development
Field Quality Engineer (Wireline Technologies) (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABApril 13, 2016
SLB is a great company with good opportunities to learn management and technical roles. Unfortunately, people do not come first and engineers and lower level management are under compensated for the time sacrificed to the job.
Pros
Personal development
Cons
Dangerous hours, poor compensation
Schlumberger
Field Specialist (Former Employee) –  LloydminsterJune 20, 2016
-Great training program and chances to work in various locations. -Management could use more training.
- Not suited for everyone due a lot of traveling and being in remote locations
not fun at all
Systems / Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2016
extremely unstable and loots of preasure

i felt insecure all the time, lots of laid offs all year , people was upset all the time, they took benefits very slowly ,
productive and friendly employers
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABApril 2, 2016
Columbian chemical is a good company to work for, you will learn a lot about the product they produce which is a by product of petroleum( Carbon Black).
A company that delivers it is product on time and has a good service to their customer. a company that believes customer comes first.
Great Salary and Benefits
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 14, 2016
You get a great salary and benefits along with plenty of time off but you are a part of a commodity market and feel the both the boom and gloom
Good experience
Completion Field Expert (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 13, 2015
I had a good experience working for Schlumberger, they have a good training and development courses. As a former employee I can say that this company deserves to be number one among service companies.
Pros
Trainings
Cons
Salary and bonuses are lower than average
I really enjoyed my time at Schluberger, it came to an end due to slow down in the oilfield and then lay offs took effect.
Administration (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABFebruary 23, 2015
I loved the variety of tasks in a day. Management was great. The hardest part of the job, is not knowing weather the oilfield is going to slow down and then I would be out of a job.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
some days not enough hours in a day
it can be fun at times
Maintenance Mechanic / Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  CalgarySeptember 27, 2015
Pay is decent but you are overworked with very little appreciation
from the Management Team. I learned allot on my 2 years working there, allot of training. Got laid off when the Oil Bug hit
Pros
free lunch
Coil Tubing
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABFebruary 10, 2015
Over all the crew that you work with is your family, if that sound like the environment for you then your in good hands, Management went through many changes and overall was great, hardest part was adapting if you have never worked in the oil fields before.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
12 hour days 15 days strait
20 year career in heavy industry best darn outfit I ever worked for "bar none"
Industrial Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMay 12, 2013
Extremely diverse workforce all races colors and creeds not to mention ages!!!!!!!(more my thing) lol
Awesome management they will find a fit for your level of experience and expand on it if you are willing to put in the effort
Great benefits
Although there seems to be a high turnover rAte even those that are here for a short period of time show great potential I think due to Schlumberger training
Great programs for employee development!
Opportunity to travel the world if so desired
Write your own paycheck. At least in my department (work as much overtime as you want or as little as you want as you desire! Absolutely in heard of.
Continual improvement ( within reason of course)
Company is a bit cheAp with resources but pays people well
Tools and equipment is not shiny but the people realy do shine!!
Concerns with work always seem to be dealt with in a speedy and effective manner. No beating around the bush and no hidden agendas. Management is always willing to listen. I think this is because management is developed from a grassroots level
I have thought of leaving but quite honestly I dont think there is much or any better out there
Pros
covered in previous
Cons
long hours and uncertainty otherwise no cons
overall a good place to work
CNC Lathe Operator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABOctober 22, 2014
I enjoyed my time here. My trainer was patient and kind, I enjoyed the work. They even built me a change room as I was the only female working in the shop! The life/work balance was really good. The benefits of working for such a large company was great.

The work itself could be physically demanding but I enjoyed that immensely.
Pros
free lunches at the safety meeting, good pay, nice environment, nice coworkers, safe, clean
Cons
loud, noisy, physically demanding
Perfect place to begin carreer
Completion/Production Engineer (Former Employee) –  WorldwideNovember 6, 2014
Perfect company to join from university. Good salary, fast progressing and personal development. However, life work balance is badly affected. 2940 working hours a year topped with few month of training is the way above what regular person can outlive.
Pros
corporate courses
Cons
long hours, overtime
alot of on the job safety
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABSeptember 22, 2015
I liked the on the job safety I learned from the company.
Management wasn't always good for communication but I learned a lot from the training and would recommend it to people looking for more training on their class1.
Pros
Trainers were easy to get along with.
Great Money and Great Company Large Workload
Equipment Operator Trainee (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABNovember 7, 2014
Great Benefits and Great Culture and work environment. Great money to be made. Very patient staff and strong balance of both professionalism but interpersonal skills. Sometimes work load can be overwhelming and also sites and weather conditions make or break you. Great opportunity for some but not all.
Room for advancement but no life
Wireline General Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Nisku, ABJune 19, 2015
Room for advancement but terrible work/life balance. Work a lot of hours. Management is always changing sometimes making it very difficult to deal with so many different managers.
Large global company with opportunities around the world
engineer (Former Employee) –  AlbertaNovember 18, 2015
Being the largest oilfield service provider in the world, the company has many varied opportunities to offer globally.
Pros
Large global footprint
Cons
Short sighted management structure
oil field work
HEAVY INDUSTRY OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 8, 2013
Long hours and very dangerous but good salary.The oilfield is unstable and you may find yourself out of work for months at a time. Not stable employment.
Pros
good wage
Cons
too dangerous
Great company for advancement but poor work/life balance
MWD specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 5, 2012
Very large multinational company with vast areas for career advancement throughout the world. Good pay and benifits but the no set work schedule
Geoscientist presently working in Schlumberger.
Petrophysicist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaMarch 14, 2015
A typical day at work is usually busy with a lot to do most especially when there are deadlines to meet.

Great to work with a set of like-minded and technically competent co-workers.

Quite a lot of unqualified folks in middle management.

Upper management mostly oblivious to the concerns of the average worker.

Hardest part of the job is having to work with Managers who have little appreciation for effort/time put in on the job.
Pros
great training programs
Cons
long hours and very little work-life balance