Schlumberger Employee Reviews

busy in learning

learnt all oilfield knowledge

managed a team of 30 people

very friendly environment

working with different people at same time
productive at work hours
Cementing Intern (Former Employee) –  Caire, QC22 February 2017
it's very useful for a undergraduate petroleum engineer like me to learn more about cementing and know the practical life of that hard career
At ras shukier base of SLB , i learned everything about Cementing
Diverse culture, fun working place
Senior Production Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 February 2017
With a history and culture of science and innovation, Schlumberger is the world’s leading provider of production, and processing technologies to the oil and gas industry.
Schlumberger attracts, retain and develop diverse talent. You will always be encouraged to grow and you will never stop learning.
Old Boys Club with a very tight Clique
Technical Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 February 2017
-worked like a dog, expected to help all the old boys out, but get little recognition in return
-seems to be an affinity for Russians in the workplace, they are untouchable
Pros
Good exposure to all parts of the business
Cons
If you dont click with the Old Boys Club Clique, you are a dirt lump
Amazing company to work for
Finance / Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB1 February 2017
During my employment i found this to be an amzing company to work for. Lots of opportunties for additional learig and skills training to improve your position within the company. Positive work place with ease of access to ask questions directly to management.
Pros
additional education and learing opportunities
typical oil field day
Equipment Operator/Pressure Pumping (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB27 January 2017
12-16 hrs per day. Doing various tasks
learned a lot from Schlumberger, got my class one and air brakes
learned to run a FRAC. Became and EO1
Satisfied with Management
Diverse Culture
Being away from home for long periods of time was hard
Learning new things and travelling to new places was enjoyable
Pros
Good pay and advancement opportunities
Cons
Being away from home long periods at time and seeing my family only 4 days per months
This is from 23+ years ago
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 January 2017
I was hired by Finder Graphics as it was being purchased by Schlumberger. Finder Graphics was merged with GeoQuest systems. That job lasted just over two years before all Finder Graphics software development was centralized in Houston.

Finder Graphics was a late-stage startup. Schlumberger is a large multi-national. I leave it to the imagination of the reader to consider the culture clash that occurred.
best place to work for
General Operator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB24 January 2017
It id one of the best companies to work for in the oil patch. had learnt a lot from it in safety, health and environment. very well organized management. work culture is hectic but yet adoptable. I enjoyed working at schlumberger because I get to see new places
Operator - Coil tubing supervisor Nitrogen Operator
H2S Certified
StuckPipe Certificate
Certificate for Work Permit
Others"
New Managers have brought down working conditions
Wellsite Supervisor (Current Employee) –  various18 January 2017
It used to be a great place to work but with the new management team it has quickly gone down hill. No communication is given anymore and expected to work in unsafe conditions and threaten jobs if you refuse to work more than 16 hours a day.
Pros
salary
Cons
management
Summary
Quality Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Indonesia7 January 2017
I liked the fact that I had the opportunity to work at Schlumberger. This exposed me to so many oil and gas companies around the world with lots of travelling. I met so many people and got trained in HSE, Sales, operations management and leadership.
Amazing experience
Wireline Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 December 2016
At this company which was only a contract job, I learned a lot about oil fields. My duties were to assemble heads that would be connected to rest of our piping that was connected to our truck spool, get them ready for jobs and then get geological data for clients. Other duties were electrical work, truck driver, daily inspections of company vehicles.
world class training and technology
Wire-line operator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB20 December 2016
Warm up to work. Preform Pre/ post trip. Idw/ journey management. check in. calibrate and service down hold tools. work with engineers to ensure the highest quality of data.

regular infield management safety checks.

Heavy down hole tools and radioactive material. cold environment. slippery environments on and off rigs

Introduction too DOT and hours of service driver training. HVT (heavy vehicle training) SLB Canada
Pros
hotels camp. lots of manpower
Cons
Strict safety and driving standers
A great oil service company for newbie to start with
Senior Geoscience Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 December 2016
Every business day was busy with customer interaction, filed/office jobloads, a little bit more paperwork, but that's the way SLB maintain the highest service quality. A typical service company! I would rate 9 out of 10 scale.
Pros
Great training systems, a lot of chance for relocation
Cons
No Job security, very sensitive to the oil price.
They forgot their core values
Geology (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen19 December 2016
During the downturn, Schlumberger forgot their core values of People, Technology, Profits and merely focused on the latter. The people that gave them their success were treated with a contemptuous disdain and disrespect. People became disposable without adequate communication, consideration or empathy. Their conduct was disgusting.

Those that remain are not hanging around when the upturn comes, and this will mean we bounce back and forth between high cost and cost reduction. The oilfield has made their situation far worse than it was before.
Pros
Varied
Cons
The workers dont matter
Good people to work with.
Shop Hand (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB17 December 2016
Schlumberger was a great company to work for. There was always something to do in the shop or around the yard. The most enjoyable part of working there was the people.
Staff were top notch
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB15 December 2016
In my 15 years working in the oil patch. I learned many great skills I can use today. I had ultimate highs on the job to lows. It is the nature of the business. The one thing that always stood out, was how fellow co workers would always go the extra mile to help people out when something had to be accomplished. Excellent work environment for sure.
Pros
Schedule Flexability
Cons
Your Time Comitment
productive and challenging workplace
ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Egypt9 December 2016
a typical workday extends for an average of 12 hours, however it is a huge opportunity for learning and growing within the company. The interesting part about the job is that the daily duties are remarkably extended beyond the formal job description. The diversity of assigned tasks challenges your capabilities and pushes you even further than your presumed limits.
Pros
Learning curve
Cons
extended hours
 SLB Review
Technical Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 December 2016
I enjoyed my work period with SLB , its one of the best and leading oilfield companies in the oil field

Enjoyed the several assignments and positions which I had ,it has given me a lot of Technical,Marketing and customer service experience

one of the biggest challenges which I had is working in remote location and leading ,train my team, it was a great joy for me which made me realize that I am capable of doing a great achievements.

one of the greatest lessons I learnt that to achieve a goal and to have an outstanding performance is by believing in your team and always give the right coaching and support to them

Good relations with your co-workers is a key for success
Productive, awesome learning experience and global company
Junior Reservoir Engineer (Former Employee) –  Venezuela25 November 2016
Great management
Amazing co-workers
Fun learning, tons of interesting field cases
Fast pace
High level standards of safety, quality and service
Pros
High standards of QHSE
Cons
Moderate Work life/balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schlumberger. Our community is ready to answer.