Schlumberger

Schlumberger Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great salary and benefits and good work/life balance. Large company that treats you like a number and is prone to swings in the price of oil
Drilling Product Engineer (Former Employee), Nisku, ABMarch 16, 2015
Pros: benefits, salary
Cons: work life balance, job security and satisfactions
Position within schlumberger was not typical one, where usually work life balance is extremely bad and family life is near impossible. Had great work life balance. Superb benefits and great benefits. Was however laid off due to low oil price and right after had my first baby, which they do not care about due to their size
Geoscientist presently working in Schlumberger.
Petrophysicist (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaMarch 14, 2015
Pros: great training programs
Cons: long hours and very little work-life balance
A typical day at work is usually busy with a lot to do most especially when there are deadlines to meet.

Great to work with a set of like-minded and technically competent co-workers.

Quite a lot of unqualified folks in middle management.

Upper management mostly oblivious to the concerns of the average worker.

Hardest part of the job is having to work with Managers who have little appreciation for effort/time put in on the job.
Fracker (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABMarch 2, 2015
Hard day when rigging in and out. I learned how to use my time properly. Everybody works as a team and gets the job done together.
A 24-hour lifestyle job
Field Engineer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: diversification enhances learning
Cons: a very demanding job
Schlumberger oilfield services is a multi-national oil servicing company. They have a diversified network of staff from virtually all parts of the world. Working with Schlumberger obviously afforded me the opportunity to travel wide and interact with people of different backgrounds and cultures. I learnt to understand the nuances of different ethnicities and respect their boundaries and ethics while successfully working with them as a team. The compensations from the job was very encouraging however, the job is very demanding depending on ones role. This is why it may be usually referred to as a 24-hour lifestyle- meaning one could be called upon anytime as an employee to render service for the company.
I really enjoyed my time at Schluberger, it came to an end due to slow down in the oilfield and then lay offs took effect.
Administration (Former Employee), Lloydminster, ABFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: some days not enough hours in a day
I loved the variety of tasks in a day. Management was great. The hardest part of the job, is not knowing weather the oilfield is going to slow down and then I would be out of a job.
Coil Tubing
Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: 12 hour days 15 days strait
Over all the crew that you work with is your family, if that sound like the environment for you then your in good hands, Management went through many changes and overall was great, hardest part was adapting if you have never worked in the oil fields before.
The power to train and assess commercial class 1 drivers
Heavy Vehicle Driver Trainer (Temp) (Current Employee), Airdrie, ABJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: staff easy to work with - free lunches
Cons: job through manpower with no hopes of a full-time position
The job for the most part is fun with a few twists along the way from students. Free lunch is a bonus but no opportunity to become a full-time employee because assignment is through Manpower.
Very rewarding place to work if you work hard and work a lot.
Lead Technician/ Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee), Mount Pearl, NLDecember 12, 2014
Good company to work for as long as you pull your weight and are not afraid to work long hours and spend time away from home and family. Very rewarding if you do a good job and want to advance.
The hardest part of the job is the demand from the oil companies, as SLB is a service company we are at the bec and call of the oil companies. There is general a lot of short notice changes or ad hawk projects because of this.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the recognition and working with great co workers.
Great Money and Great Company Large Workload
Equipment Operator Trainee (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABNovember 7, 2014
Great Benefits and Great Culture and work environment. Great money to be made. Very patient staff and strong balance of both professionalism but interpersonal skills. Sometimes work load can be overwhelming and also sites and weather conditions make or break you. Great opportunity for some but not all.
Perfect place to begin carreer
Completion/Production Engineer (Former Employee), WorldwideNovember 6, 2014
Pros: corporate courses
Cons: long hours, overtime
Perfect company to join from university. Good salary, fast progressing and personal development. However, life work balance is badly affected. 2940 working hours a year topped with few month of training is the way above what regular person can outlive.
Productive,learned diffrent skills and zero tolerance policy for quality and safety.
Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 29, 2014
Perform the technical functions involved in assembling, installing, repairing, maintaining, calibrating and modifying mechanical equipment and system circuitry, components and systems.Assist in the production and quality control of electro-mechanical equipment and products
overall a good place to work
CNC Lathe Operator (Former Employee), Nisku, ABOctober 22, 2014
Pros: free lunches at the safety meeting, good pay, nice environment, nice coworkers, safe, clean
Cons: loud, noisy, physically demanding
I enjoyed my time here. My trainer was patient and kind, I enjoyed the work. They even built me a change room as I was the only female working in the shop! The life/work balance was really good. The benefits of working for such a large company was great.

The work itself could be physically demanding but I enjoyed that immensely.
Great but challenging
Well Testing Technician (Former Employee), Hassi MessaoudJuly 14, 2014
Pros: trainings
Cons: long rotations
When you work for SLB, you have to dedicate yourself to this company, forget about everything you have and just devote yourself for your job otherwise you will be unsuccessful.
I learnt how to be persuasive, hard worker, and keep on trying until either you succeed or you broke down.
Management is in between, they just look at the bottom line.
Co-workers are among the worst I have seen, they never share.
The hardest part of the job is to adapt to the system.
The most enjoyable part of it, is when you quite.
Good Place to work
ELECTRONICS ASSEMBLER (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 16, 2014
Great Benefits. High security specially in term of everyones safety.
Field Engineer Trainee activities
FIELD ENGINEER TRAINEE (Former Employee), Las Morochas, VenezuelaJune 9, 2014
Pros: learning.
Cons: working conditions
At that time my job was to be trained and prepared for developing my career as a Wireline Engineer.
good training
Field Engineer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 3, 2014
generally a very good company to work as an engineer lots of travelling and field experience performed in house training for new employees,
People Technology Profits
Well Integrity Domain Champion (Current Employee), KuwaitMay 27, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: bad managment
People Technology Profits. Very challenging environment with diversity as the people motor.
Productive and fun place to work
Electrical Specialist (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 5, 2014
Organized, analytical, precise, committed to quality, creative
Review
Receptionist (contract) (Former Employee), CalgaryFebruary 20, 2014
I was a conract worker there just till Smith Bits was moved into the schlumberger building. So working for smitbits was a joy but was short.
its the oil patch .what else can you expect
Operator (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: money.advancement.free living in hotels.job bonuses.
Cons: away from home alot.too many alcoholics on crews.politics.
Good job ,tons of schooling,room for advancement. poor home life .lots of alcoholics of the crews.

1 2 3

About Schlumberger

Schlumberger has the know-how to get oil and gas drillers out of a slump. One of the world's largest oilfield services companies, – Read more