Schlumberger Employee Reviews in Canada

Work at Schlumberger
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 21, 2016
The company has about 90,000 employees in more than 30 different countries and very often in many locations there are a shift of the management team every 1 - 2 years which brings new attitudes and orientations.
Pros
nice work culture
Cons
Constant management changes
Schlumberger work experience.
Directional Driller Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Europe and AfricaDecember 6, 2015
Worked at Schlumberger for 15 years. Has been a good company to work for. Recent pay cuts, and massive layoffs. Good benefit package, and salary at industry standards. Excellent training, and growth to learn new technologies.
Pros
Technology is advanced, good work rotation.
Cons
Massive layoffs, management can be top heavy.
A best in class oilfield service company. Enlightened an employee to high end business practices and culture.
Planning manager and HSE Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 30, 2016
Expectations and work objective for an employee are known and reviewed quarterly. This is beneficial, if there is clarity for task it is easier to achieve the best outcome. Monetary compensation, salary and benefits, were competitive within the industry.
Pros
Excellent exposure to high end business policies and practices
Cons
VP's for different organization functions can have conflicting objectives, creating stress to employees that could cross report within both corporate functions
Very physically and mentally demanding
environmental specialist (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLJanuary 21, 2016
A typical day starts with a tool box talk we discuss and assign responsibilities for the day. Then we identify all the potential hazards associated with task and how to mitigate it. I learned to work with various tools and equipment and also to concentrate on assigned task.
Pros
Never boring lots to learn
Cons
Long hours 12hr/21 days straight
amazing co-work very easy to interect and learn from co-workers
Technician (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABMarch 31, 2016
every day at work was just fun and the energy among us was just amazing

An example of our great team is:

I remember one day there was a tornado alarm at work, so every one was call to the general lunch room, for a quick safety meeting.
unfortunately I had my ear plugs on, and the back of the shop, and I didn't here the siren sound,
due to our amazing team work protocols in place a head count was implement by my team and I was able to attend the meeting
Pros
before every long weekend
Cons
busy days
Productivity and development career
Fluid Engineer (Former Employee) –  venezuelaJune 30, 2016
A typical day of work is very hard but with amazing satisfaction
Im learned technology in fluids and estimulation, I-committed.
In the area of management the are superior.
Good co-workers and excellent ambient.
The hardest part of this job is to give at client the best service with total responsibility.
The enjoyable part of the job is to have stunning experience with different cultures.
Pros
Knwolege
Cons
little bit time free
If your single and want money good place to start (frac only)
Senior Cement Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB/ Grande prairie abApril 21, 2016
i worked for them for 4 and half years in cement. On call 247 most jobs i did for them i didnt sleep for 24 36 hours... If you want to be home more go to cement but first year or so youll only make 60 70 as a operator. On my 4TH year as SE0 the highest position as operator I made just over 100. if u start in frac be away lots but youll make 90 110 first year.
Pros
uh youll make the most money with them service company wise
Cons
just another brick in the wall. and mangers lie
Fast pace, long hours, great benefits, good bonus system.
Equipment operator/Cementer (Former Employee) –  Whitecourt, ABJune 30, 2015
Good company to work for:
- Great bonus system
-All right salary
- Good amount of days off 15 on 6 off
- Training is good but needs work
- Management needs work but works hard to get the answers for you
-hardest part is being on call and be woken up around midnight onwards.
Pros
great pay, great benefits, good amount of time off
Cons
long hours, on call for 15 days without much warning.
slum
store keeper (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 13, 2016
in this company you are just a number, you might work your hardest for 6 months and they will let you go because they can find cheaper labor around the world, no union to support any employees, and one of the top companies to cut down jobs in alberta so the CEO can still make his billion of dollar of bonus
Pros
n/a
Cons
no training, no job bonuses, not alot of travel allowance, no gurantee of a job
it can be fun at times
Maintenance Mechanic / Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  CalgarySeptember 27, 2015
Pay is decent but you are overworked with very little appreciation
from the Management Team. I learned allot on my 2 years working there, allot of training. Got laid off when the Oil Bug hit
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Supportive and friendly management in Canada, bad work/life balance
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 30, 2016
Worked two years in Alberta, Canada and also two years in Middle-East (UAE). Great management in Canada especially our direct managers but was quite bad in the middle east (Abu Dhabi, UAE). Due to nature of the job work life balance a bit at low side.
Pros
Good trainings and safety.
Cons
Some night works, average payrate
alot of on the job safety
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABSeptember 22, 2015
I liked the on the job safety I learned from the company.
Management wasn't always good for communication but I learned a lot from the training and would recommend it to people looking for more training on their class1.
Pros
Trainers were easy to get along with.
Productive meetings
Technical Sales Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 5, 2016
My last assignment was very interesting.
We had every week meetings and reviews, to improve the marketing approach to improve the sales of the department. we constantly work to improve our technology, and introduce it to the client.
Pros
learn about marketing skill
Cons
Too many meetings in a week
Overall SLB experience
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  EgyptJune 21, 2016
The job taught me a lot regarding working under balance, managing people from different background, dealing with customers with different backgrounds and mentalities and maintaining good and long term relationships with them.
Pros
Experience gaining
Cons
Long work hours, work-life not very balanced
Great technical and management development
Field Quality Engineer (Wireline Technologies) (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABApril 13, 2016
SLB is a great company with good opportunities to learn management and technical roles. Unfortunately, people do not come first and engineers and lower level management are under compensated for the time sacrificed to the job.
Pros
Personal development
Cons
Dangerous hours, poor compensation
Good work practices.
Equipment Operator (Contractor), Fracturing Dept (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 13, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Schlumberger. The way tasks and workloads are divided up amongst the crews and crew members makes sense. Everyone knows what to do because the supervisors are well organized.
Pros
Good work environment.
Cons
I was only a contractor.
great place to work
Wellhead operations and Cement Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJune 23, 2016
I worked here in coil tubing and fracing. This a great company and recommend it to anyone in the oilfield. These guys are the leader of the oil industry and the sky is the limit
Pros
lots of room for advancement
Cons
Great salary and benefits and good work/life balance. Large company that treats you like a number and is prone to swings in the price of oil
Drilling Product Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABMarch 16, 2015
Position within schlumberger was not typical one, where usually work life balance is extremely bad and family life is near impossible. Had great work life balance. Superb benefits and great benefits. Was however laid off due to low oil price and right after had my first baby, which they do not care about due to their size
Pros
benefits, salary
Cons
work life balance, job security and satisfactions
productive and friendly employers
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABApril 2, 2016
Columbian chemical is a good company to work for, you will learn a lot about the product they produce which is a by product of petroleum( Carbon Black).
A company that delivers it is product on time and has a good service to their customer. a company that believes customer comes first.
Room for advancement but no life
Wireline General Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Nisku, ABJune 19, 2015
Room for advancement but terrible work/life balance. Work a lot of hours. Management is always changing sometimes making it very difficult to deal with so many different managers.