Schlumberger Employee Reviews

Diverse culture, fun working place
Senior Production Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 February 2017
With a history and culture of science and innovation, Schlumberger is the world’s leading provider of production, and processing technologies to the oil and gas industry.
Schlumberger attracts, retain and develop diverse talent. You will always be encouraged to grow and you will never stop learning.
Old Boys Club with a very tight Clique
Technical Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 February 2017
-worked like a dog, expected to help all the old boys out, but get little recognition in return
-seems to be an affinity for Russians in the workplace, they are untouchable
Pros
Good exposure to all parts of the business
Cons
If you dont click with the Old Boys Club Clique, you are a dirt lump
typical oil field day
Equipment Operator/Pressure Pumping (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB27 January 2017
12-16 hrs per day. Doing various tasks
learned a lot from Schlumberger, got my class one and air brakes
learned to run a FRAC. Became and EO1
Satisfied with Management
Diverse Culture
Being away from home for long periods of time was hard
Learning new things and travelling to new places was enjoyable
Pros
Good pay and advancement opportunities
Cons
Being away from home long periods at time and seeing my family only 4 days per months
best place to work for
General Operator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB24 January 2017
It id one of the best companies to work for in the oil patch. had learnt a lot from it in safety, health and environment. very well organized management. work culture is hectic but yet adoptable. I enjoyed working at schlumberger because I get to see new places
Operator - Coil tubing supervisor Nitrogen Operator
Certificate for Work Permit
Others"
Amazing experience
Wireline Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 December 2016
At this company which was only a contract job, I learned a lot about oil fields. My duties were to assemble heads that would be connected to rest of our piping that was connected to our truck spool, get them ready for jobs and then get geological data for clients. Other duties were electrical work, truck driver, daily inspections of company vehicles.
world class training and technology
Wire-line operator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB20 December 2016
Warm up to work. Preform Pre/ post trip. Idw/ journey management. check in. calibrate and service down hold tools. work with engineers to ensure the highest quality of data.

regular infield management safety checks.

Heavy down hole tools and radioactive material. cold environment. slippery environments on and off rigs

Introduction too DOT and hours of service driver training. HVT (heavy vehicle training) SLB Canada
Pros
hotels camp. lots of manpower
Cons
Strict safety and driving standers
A great oil service company for newbie to start with
Senior Geoscience Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 December 2016
Every business day was busy with customer interaction, filed/office jobloads, a little bit more paperwork, but that's the way SLB maintain the highest service quality. A typical service company! I would rate 9 out of 10 scale.
Pros
Great training systems, a lot of chance for relocation
Cons
No Job security, very sensitive to the oil price.
They forgot their core values
Geology (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen19 December 2016
During the downturn, Schlumberger forgot their core values of People, Technology, Profits and merely focused on the latter. The people that gave them their success were treated with a contemptuous disdain and disrespect. People became disposable without adequate communication, consideration or empathy. Their conduct was disgusting.

Those that remain are not hanging around when the upturn comes, and this will mean we bounce back and forth between high cost and cost reduction. The oilfield has made their situation far worse than it was before.
Pros
Varied
Cons
The workers dont matter
Good people to work with.
Shop Hand (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB17 December 2016
Schlumberger was a great company to work for. There was always something to do in the shop or around the yard. The most enjoyable part of working there was the people.
Staff were top notch
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB15 December 2016
In my 15 years working in the oil patch. I learned many great skills I can use today. I had ultimate highs on the job to lows. It is the nature of the business. The one thing that always stood out, was how fellow co workers would always go the extra mile to help people out when something had to be accomplished. Excellent work environment for sure.
Pros
Schedule Flexability
Cons
Your Time Comitment
productive and challenging workplace
ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Egypt9 December 2016
a typical workday extends for an average of 12 hours, however it is a huge opportunity for learning and growing within the company. The interesting part about the job is that the daily duties are remarkably extended beyond the formal job description. The diversity of assigned tasks challenges your capabilities and pushes you even further than your presumed limits.
Pros
Learning curve
Cons
extended hours
 SLB Review
Technical Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 December 2016
I enjoyed my work period with SLB , its one of the best and leading oilfield companies in the oil field

Enjoyed the several assignments and positions which I had ,it has given me a lot of Technical,Marketing and customer service experience

one of the biggest challenges which I had is working in remote location and leading ,train my team, it was a great joy for me which made me realize that I am capable of doing a great achievements.

one of the greatest lessons I learnt that to achieve a goal and to have an outstanding performance is by believing in your team and always give the right coaching and support to them

Good relations with your co-workers is a key for success
Productive, awesome learning experience and global company
Junior Reservoir Engineer (Former Employee) –  Venezuela25 November 2016
Great management
Amazing co-workers
Fun learning, tons of interesting field cases
Fast pace
High level standards of safety, quality and service
Pros
High standards of QHSE
Cons
Moderate Work life/balance
good
TOUGH LOGGING OPERATIONS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB14 November 2016
Excellent way to progress in life and employment. good foundation for growth. able to travel the world in a short amount of time
really nice and friendly place to work
Senior Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC11 November 2016
I love working in the oil patch driving into new territory and the mountains meeting new people also the pay salary was really good
Pros
driving
Fun work
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB8 November 2016
Fracking was a very good job, great benefits base salary is low but bonus are very good
The company is safety oriented and you will learn great deal and that translates in to moving up the latter
Pros
Pension and benefits
Cons
Long hrs
A very safe place to work for due to its safety culture
Field Specialist - Reservoir Evaluation Wireline (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB, Alberta and SK4 November 2016
If you are starting a career in the oil and gas industry this is the perfect place to work for. You learn new things everyday in the oilfield. This company spends more money than any other company with regards to training. They send us around the world in there SLB Engineer/Specialist Schools and is the best perk you get. Applications of new technology is the main plus with SLB. You will work with technologies 5 to 10 yrs ahead of the next competitor.
Pros
Learning new technology
Cons
not much
My working period in schlumberger is very useful to me to add alot of skills to me
Base manager (Current Employee) –  Egypt4 November 2016
- I learned a lot from my working like QHSE , operation skills and management skills and also added to my company
- coordinating meetings and courses to other employees
- there are initiatives co-workers
Good for young graduates
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Aktau31 October 2016
Really good experience to "survive"
working under pressure
lots of trainings to meet new people
work hard party hard type of mentality
Pros
field bonuses
Cons
working during the winter in the field sucks