Schlumberger Employee Reviews

Management likes their buddy system
EO (Former Employee) –  BCSeptember 10, 2016
as long as you tell your manager how wonderful and great they are...you're good. Once you decide not to go drinking with them or not to always agree you're done and you loose your job. Typical oilfield....everybody is the smartest but at the end they're all talentless nobodies with big financed trucks....I'm happy I'm out...!!!
Pros
I learned how to drive
Cons
Backstabbers, liars and cant trust anyone
Best company to work with.
Various positions as per resume (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 9, 2016
- Challenging work
- Individual responsibility
- Yearly work assessment and review
- Accountability
- Financial budgets & targets set well ahead of the year
- Very good Leadership & motivation
- Excellent Managerial skills
- Management information systems
- Team work and job excellence
- Job Training & skills
Pros
Quick promotions, work recognition and salary increases.
Cons
Travelling with family around the world, education for children being effected
Good company to start your professional career
Field Service Manager in Charge (Former Employee) –  VenezuelaAugust 20, 2016
SLB is an awesome company to start your professional career, they offer you awesome training and development of your skills, you can follow a career path clear and straight forward. I adquired great skills working with them and was a blessing in my life.
I enjoyed it there
Engineer-in-training (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJuly 14, 2016
lots of training, quality training, focuses creating a work life balance. Only place i have seen that encourages dating internally...weird, not a fan of the idea..but probably a strong business plan, if you have a married couple working there, the company only has to pay for one relocation.
if you don't fit in their idea of a perfect box, you will find yourself unemployed.
Pros
pay, schedule
Cons
if you get sick, or hurt, you become unemployed
slum
store keeper (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 13, 2016
in this company you are just a number, you might work your hardest for 6 months and they will let you go because they can find cheaper labor around the world, no union to support any employees, and one of the top companies to cut down jobs in alberta so the CEO can still make his billion of dollar of bonus
Pros
n/a
Cons
no training, no job bonuses, not alot of travel allowance, no gurantee of a job
Productivity and development career
Fluid Engineer (Former Employee) –  venezuelaJune 30, 2016
A typical day of work is very hard but with amazing satisfaction
Im learned technology in fluids and estimulation, I-committed.
In the area of management the are superior.
Good co-workers and excellent ambient.
The hardest part of this job is to give at client the best service with total responsibility.
The enjoyable part of the job is to have stunning experience with different cultures.
Pros
Knwolege
Cons
little bit time free
great place to work
Wellhead operations and Cement Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJune 23, 2016
I worked here in coil tubing and fracing. This a great company and recommend it to anyone in the oilfield. These guys are the leader of the oil industry and the sky is the limit
Pros
lots of room for advancement
Overall SLB experience
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  EgyptJune 21, 2016
The job taught me a lot regarding working under balance, managing people from different background, dealing with customers with different backgrounds and mentalities and maintaining good and long term relationships with them.
Pros
Experience gaining
Cons
Long work hours, work-life not very balanced
Schlumberger
Field Specialist (Former Employee) –  LloydminsterJune 20, 2016
-Great training program and chances to work in various locations. -Management could use more training.
- Not suited for everyone due a lot of traveling and being in remote locations
Productive meetings
Technical Sales Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 5, 2016
My last assignment was very interesting.
We had every week meetings and reviews, to improve the marketing approach to improve the sales of the department. we constantly work to improve our technology, and introduce it to the client.
Pros
learn about marketing skill
Cons
Too many meetings in a week
A best in class oilfield service company. Enlightened an employee to high end business practices and culture.
Planning manager and HSE Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 30, 2016
Expectations and work objective for an employee are known and reviewed quarterly. This is beneficial, if there is clarity for task it is easier to achieve the best outcome. Monetary compensation, salary and benefits, were competitive within the industry.
Pros
Excellent exposure to high end business policies and practices
Cons
VP's for different organization functions can have conflicting objectives, creating stress to employees that could cross report within both corporate functions
Supportive and friendly management in Canada, bad work/life balance
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 30, 2016
Worked two years in Alberta, Canada and also two years in Middle-East (UAE). Great management in Canada especially our direct managers but was quite bad in the middle east (Abu Dhabi, UAE). Due to nature of the job work life balance a bit at low side.
Pros
Good trainings and safety.
Cons
Some night works, average payrate
not fun at all
Systems / Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2016
extremely unstable and loots of preasure

i felt insecure all the time, lots of laid offs all year , people was upset all the time, they took benefits very slowly ,
Great Salary and Benefits
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 14, 2016
You get a great salary and benefits along with plenty of time off but you are a part of a commodity market and feel the both the boom and gloom
Good work practices.
Equipment Operator (Contractor), Fracturing Dept (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 13, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Schlumberger. The way tasks and workloads are divided up amongst the crews and crew members makes sense. Everyone knows what to do because the supervisors are well organized.
Pros
Good work environment.
Cons
I was only a contractor.
If your single and want money good place to start (frac only)
Senior Cement Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB/ Grande prairie abApril 21, 2016
i worked for them for 4 and half years in cement. On call 247 most jobs i did for them i didnt sleep for 24 36 hours... If you want to be home more go to cement but first year or so youll only make 60 70 as a operator. On my 4TH year as SE0 the highest position as operator I made just over 100. if u start in frac be away lots but youll make 90 110 first year.
Pros
uh youll make the most money with them service company wise
Cons
just another brick in the wall. and mangers lie
Great technical and management development
Field Quality Engineer (Wireline Technologies) (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABApril 13, 2016
SLB is a great company with good opportunities to learn management and technical roles. Unfortunately, people do not come first and engineers and lower level management are under compensated for the time sacrificed to the job.
Pros
Personal development
Cons
Dangerous hours, poor compensation
productive and friendly employers
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABApril 2, 2016
Columbian chemical is a good company to work for, you will learn a lot about the product they produce which is a by product of petroleum( Carbon Black).
A company that delivers it is product on time and has a good service to their customer. a company that believes customer comes first.
amazing co-work very easy to interect and learn from co-workers
Technician (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABMarch 31, 2016
every day at work was just fun and the energy among us was just amazing

An example of our great team is:

I remember one day there was a tornado alarm at work, so every one was call to the general lunch room, for a quick safety meeting.
unfortunately I had my ear plugs on, and the back of the shop, and I didn't here the siren sound,
due to our amazing team work protocols in place a head count was implement by my team and I was able to attend the meeting
Pros
before every long weekend
Cons
busy days
Work at Schlumberger
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 21, 2016
The company has about 90,000 employees in more than 30 different countries and very often in many locations there are a shift of the management team every 1 - 2 years which brings new attitudes and orientations.
Pros
nice work culture
Cons
Constant management changes