Schlumberger Employee Reviews in Canada

Overall SLB experience
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  EgyptJune 21, 2016
The job taught me a lot regarding working under balance, managing people from different background, dealing with customers with different backgrounds and mentalities and maintaining good and long term relationships with them.
Pros
Experience gaining
Cons
Long work hours, work-life not very balanced
Schlumberger
Field Specialist (Former Employee) –  LloydminsterJune 20, 2016
-Great training program and chances to work in various locations. -Management could use more training.
- Not suited for everyone due a lot of traveling and being in remote locations
Productive meetings
Technical Sales Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 5, 2016
My last assignment was very interesting.
We had every week meetings and reviews, to improve the marketing approach to improve the sales of the department. we constantly work to improve our technology, and introduce it to the client.
Pros
learn about marketing skill
Cons
Too many meetings in a week
A best in class oilfield service company. Enlightened an employee to high end business practices and culture.
Planning manager and HSE Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 30, 2016
Expectations and work objective for an employee are known and reviewed quarterly. This is beneficial, if there is clarity for task it is easier to achieve the best outcome. Monetary compensation, salary and benefits, were competitive within the industry.
Pros
Excellent exposure to high end business policies and practices
Cons
VP's for different organization functions can have conflicting objectives, creating stress to employees that could cross report within both corporate functions
Supportive and friendly management in Canada, bad work/life balance
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 30, 2016
Worked two years in Alberta, Canada and also two years in Middle-East (UAE). Great management in Canada especially our direct managers but was quite bad in the middle east (Abu Dhabi, UAE). Due to nature of the job work life balance a bit at low side.
Pros
Good trainings and safety.
Cons
Some night works, average payrate
not fun at all
Systems / Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2016
extremely unstable and loots of preasure

i felt insecure all the time, lots of laid offs all year , people was upset all the time, they took benefits very slowly ,
Great Salary and Benefits
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 14, 2016
You get a great salary and benefits along with plenty of time off but you are a part of a commodity market and feel the both the boom and gloom
Good work practices.
Equipment Operator (Contractor), Fracturing Dept (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 13, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Schlumberger. The way tasks and workloads are divided up amongst the crews and crew members makes sense. Everyone knows what to do because the supervisors are well organized.
Pros
Good work environment.
Cons
I was only a contractor.
If your single and want money good place to start (frac only)
Senior Cement Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB/ Grande prairie abApril 21, 2016
i worked for them for 4 and half years in cement. On call 247 most jobs i did for them i didnt sleep for 24 36 hours... If you want to be home more go to cement but first year or so youll only make 60 70 as a operator. On my 4TH year as SE0 the highest position as operator I made just over 100. if u start in frac be away lots but youll make 90 110 first year.
Pros
uh youll make the most money with them service company wise
Cons
just another brick in the wall. and mangers lie
Great technical and management development
Field Quality Engineer (Wireline Technologies) (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABApril 13, 2016
SLB is a great company with good opportunities to learn management and technical roles. Unfortunately, people do not come first and engineers and lower level management are under compensated for the time sacrificed to the job.
Pros
Personal development
Cons
Dangerous hours, poor compensation
productive and friendly employers
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABApril 2, 2016
Columbian chemical is a good company to work for, you will learn a lot about the product they produce which is a by product of petroleum( Carbon Black).
A company that delivers it is product on time and has a good service to their customer. a company that believes customer comes first.
amazing co-work very easy to interect and learn from co-workers
Technician (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABMarch 31, 2016
every day at work was just fun and the energy among us was just amazing

An example of our great team is:

I remember one day there was a tornado alarm at work, so every one was call to the general lunch room, for a quick safety meeting.
unfortunately I had my ear plugs on, and the back of the shop, and I didn't here the siren sound,
due to our amazing team work protocols in place a head count was implement by my team and I was able to attend the meeting
Pros
before every long weekend
Cons
busy days
Work at Schlumberger
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 21, 2016
The company has about 90,000 employees in more than 30 different countries and very often in many locations there are a shift of the management team every 1 - 2 years which brings new attitudes and orientations.
Pros
nice work culture
Cons
Constant management changes
Very physically and mentally demanding
environmental specialist (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLJanuary 21, 2016
A typical day starts with a tool box talk we discuss and assign responsibilities for the day. Then we identify all the potential hazards associated with task and how to mitigate it. I learned to work with various tools and equipment and also to concentrate on assigned task.
Pros
Never boring lots to learn
Cons
Long hours 12hr/21 days straight
Exciting workplace, multy culture, international
Butler Dean Construction, Calgary, AB (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 17, 2015
Performed production testing, monitor gages, operated a high and low stage tanks.calculated water, gas and oil pumped per hour
Pros
loa
Cons
outdoors
Schlumberger work experience.
Directional Driller Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Europe and AfricaDecember 6, 2015
Worked at Schlumberger for 15 years. Has been a good company to work for. Recent pay cuts, and massive layoffs. Good benefit package, and salary at industry standards. Excellent training, and growth to learn new technologies.
Pros
Technology is advanced, good work rotation.
Cons
Massive layoffs, management can be top heavy.
Large global company with opportunities around the world
engineer (Former Employee) –  AlbertaNovember 18, 2015
Being the largest oilfield service provider in the world, the company has many varied opportunities to offer globally.
Pros
Large global footprint
Cons
Short sighted management structure
I like the people working there
Senior Machinist (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABNovember 5, 2015
It was a very good job, work with very good people, depend too much on the price of oil in the market, not very busy at times because not enough drilling.
Fun place to work with great atmosphere
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABNovember 2, 2015
A great place to work with fantastic benefits. Show up in the morning and have a job meeting with the boss. go out into the yard and grab your unit to bring in and inspect. follow the inspection sheet guidelines, order parts if needed and get her done by the book.
Pros
Long lunch, fantastic benefits
Cons
Long Days when in the field
Great job
Operator /Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABOctober 9, 2015
People were great, work was great and loved doing my job. Nothing really hard about the job. The most enjoyable part was driving and being able to do my job with ease.