Position Title: Operations Coordinator
Department: Scarborough Campus Students' Union (SCSU)
Position Type: Full-time
Compensation: $50,000+ Comprehensive Benefits
Reports to: SCSU Executive Director
The Scarborough Campus Students’ Union (SCSU) is the not-for-profit organization that represents all Full-Time and Part-Time Undergraduate Students at the University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC) and provides to its members a broad range of advocacy work, services and events. The Student Centre is operated by SCSU and serves as the central hub of student life and services in the UTSC community.
SCSU requires an Operations Coordinator to assist in guiding the SCSU in its endeavors and responsible for the operations of the SCSU and the Student Centre and who has the drive and ambition to steer the entire organization forward in a progressive manner.
- University degree or commensurate experience.
- Familiarity with working within a post-secondary student union, or similar non-profit organization will be considered an asset.
- Previous management experience is considered an asset.
- A strong understanding of the aims and goals of students’ unions and the student movement will be considered an asset.
- Experience in dealing with budget development and financial protocols in a non-profit organizational environment will be considered an asset.
- Excellent aptitude and familiarity with budget spreadsheets including annual forecasts and multi-year budget projections.
- Experience in working with the external auditors of the corporation in conducting the annual year-end audit and preparation of the audited year-end financial statements.
- Strong knowledge of reading and understanding contracts and legal documents.
- Working knowledge of Simply Accounting, payroll systems such as Ceridian, ACCPAC and/or other industry standard accounting software
- An understanding of the dynamics and diversity of a suburban university will be considered an asset.
- Experienced in contract negotiations
- Dedication, commitment and a willingness to work overtime and flexible hours.
- Exceptional organizational, planning, and time-management skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to problem solve and work well under pressure.
- Proficiency of computer literacy including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Publisher).
- Demonstrates ability in designing project models.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
Recognizing that the Operations Coordinator position embraces a broad range of roles and responsibilities, it is important to note that not all functions are contained within this posting, and the position itself will be ever-changing and adaptive. Nevertheless, specific roles and responsibilities allocated to this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Primarily responsible for the UTSC Student Centre’s and the SCSU’s financial affairs and operations.
- Develop and utilize measures such that the SCSU and Student Centre is achieving optimum financial performance, subject to the constraints imposed by statutory law and the operating principles, policies and philosophies of the SCSU.
- Ensure the ongoing stability and growth of the UTSC Student Centre by developing and maintaining administrative and financial infrastructures, managing common space, negotiating tenant contracts and promoting the activities and facilities of the UTSC Student Centre.
- Be fully responsible for all financial aspects of the activities of the SCSU including the preparation of the budgets in conjunction with the Vice-President Operations and Chief Accountant and also the verification of financial statements and activities with the accountants and auditors of SCSU.
- Work in conjunction with the Executive Director and Vice-President Operations and staff to aid in the day-to-day operations and services delivery of the SCSU office.
- Negotiate and maintain all contracts and agreements pertaining to the Student Centre.
- Monitor, control and manage student centre operations to meet the organizations expectations and goals.
- Evaluate current operational performance and provide strategic plan for improvements.
- Provide direction and guidance to internal teams to achieve performance targets.
- Identify problems in operations process and resolve them in quickly and timely manner. Coordinate and manage project tasks to ensure project delivery within allotted budget and timelines.
- Build and maintain strong customer relationship through regular meetings and communications.
- Able to work independently or in groups with a firm understanding of SCSU and UTSC student culture.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills an asset for writing and communicating reports.
- Approaches tasks with an innovative mind-set and positive outlook in completing goals.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and pressured environment and must be able to shift to other functions and priorities as needed.
- Open minded to the ideas suggested by students and management.
- Highly organized and able to meet demands on time.
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills.
- Work is driven, detailed and professional
For more information about SCSU, please visit our website at:
PLEASE NOTE: SCSU is an independently incorporated organization working within the University of Toronto community. This position is NOT a University of Toronto staff position.
Interested candidates should send their résumé and cover letter by 5:00 p.m. *bold*Friday January 18th, 2013*bold*. All applications should be received via e-mail or online to the Vice-President Human Resources.
We thank all who apply, but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Ms. Sarah Worku
Vice-President Human Resources
Tel: 416-287-7043 Rec: 416-287-7047 Fax: 416-287-7088
Member of the Canadian Federation of Students, Local 99
SCSU operates year-round through its team of 7 executives, 17 directors, 4 full-time staff, numerous part-time staff, and a great deal of...