Position Title: Kitchen Utility/Line Cook Keyholder
Position Type: Full-time
Number of Positions: 1
Remuneration: $10.50 per hour
Days Required to Work: Monday – Friday (potential for weekend work)
Hours of work range from: 9 am – 11pm & evenings for pub nights and special events
The Scarborough Campus Students’ Union (SCSU) is the not-for-profit organization that represents all Full-Time and Part-Time Undergraduate Students at the University of Toronto at Scarborough (UTSC), and provides to its members a broad range of services and events. The Student Centre is operated by SCSU and serves as the central hub of student life and services in the UTSC community.
Rex’s Den Restaurant, located at the lower level of the UTSC Student Centre, is the leading food services provider for UTSC, and is owned but not operated by SCSU. It provides the UTSC community with a dynamic, multi-purpose venue that encourages social interaction and offers a wide variety of high-quality, affordable food and entertainment options.
Rex’s Den is seeking part-time kitchen staff to start in the fall semester.
Recognizing that the function of the Kitchen Utility Staff is to embrace a broad range of roles and responsibilities of the REX’S DEN operation, it is important to note that not all functions are contained within this position description, and the position itself will be ever-changing and adaptive. Nevertheless, specific roles and responsibilities allocated to this position include, but are not limited to the following:
1.3.01 Restaurant Maintenance:
- Maintaining cleanliness and orderliness within the Rex’s Den Restaurant
- Ensure that all aspects of cleaning, scraping, washing dishes and floors are completed
- Responsible for ensuring that all tables, prep stations and counter tops are wiped down, cleaned, disinfected.
- Ensure that all couches and other furniture are returned to their original place.
- Sweep, mop the floors and dispose of all waste into the appropriate containers (recycle and waste).
- Responsible for ensuring all materials are properly emptied from the waste and recycle containers.
- Assist with all cleaning
1.3.02 Other Duties:
- Assist with inventory counting when requested to do so.
- Follow all guidelines and procedures outlined in the Department of Health and Safety manuals as set out by the University of Toronto at Scarborough and City of Toronto
- Report indirectly to the Lead Server and/or General Manager and directly to the Kitchen Manager.
- Report any deficiencies and damages promptly to the Kitchen Manager.
- Takes direction from Chef and Cooks, Managers
- Minimum of two years experience with a full service establishment is an asset;
- Joint Health & Safety Knowledge and Standard First-Aid CPR-C training (arrangements can be made);
- Flexible, must be able to shift to other functions and priorities as needs change;
- Superior verbal and written communication skills are an asset; and
- Self motivated, and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Able to stand for 6-8 hours and lift up to 30lbs.
WHAT YOU SHOULD EXPECT:
- Clear and defined goals and objectives.
- Training will be provided.
- A fast-paced and rapidly growing organization.
- A professionally managed, results-driven team atmosphere.
- The ability to earn more responsibility and creative freedom as you demonstrate the ability to handle more duties.
PLEASE NOTE: Rex’s Den is an independently incorporated organization working within the University of Toronto community. This position is NOT a University of Toronto staff position.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION: Interested candidates should send their availability, résumé cover letter. All applications should be received via e-mail or dropped off to SCSU in a sealed envelope by Wednesday November 28th, 2012 at 5pm.
We thank all who apply, but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Vice-President Human Resources
Member of the Canadian Federation of Students, Local 99
Rex’s is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all qualified persons to apply for job vacancies!