Description & Link to Mission
This volunteer position looks for a creative and independent individual with strong leadership, training, video production, journalism and writing skills to manage a range of different projects in accordance with the goals of the Youth Media Training Program (YMTP). You will have a great opportunity to work closely with the field team in Uganda to assist with the development of the YMTP and play a leadership role in guiding the monthly tasks that are expected from our Youth Reporters in Uganda.
Sawa World uses a ground-breaking approach to solve extreme poverty for 1 billion people in the world’s poorest countries - www.sawaworld.org
- Highly creative and fun personality
- A background in video production and citizen journalism
- Considered an asset to have experience developing and conducting training courses, workshops and/or formal programs in video production/citizen journalism
- Experience in storyboard development
- Strong knowledge of video editing, specifically with Adobe Premiere Pro
- Excellent writing skills and a keen eye for grammatical and spelling errors
- Knowledge of social issues related to extreme poverty
- The ability to or the experience of working closely with team members in a different cultural context
- Strong leadership and coaching skills
Benefits & Recognition
Gain networking contacts, learn/develop skills, gain work experience, meet a dynamic and fun group of people, feel valued and make a difference on a global level.
Deliverables / Duties
- Assisting with the revisions and development of internal training manuals for the YMTP together with our local trainers in Uganda (Phase I and Phase II)
- Connecting with team members and trainers in Uganda via Skype as needed to ensure adequate communication flow for the development of the YMTP
- Assisting with the logistics and organization of training
- Developing internal procedures, if time permits, to help fulfill program goals (e.g. storyboard templates, guidelines for video production and editing).
- Reviewing monthly storyboards for Sawa World’s youth reporters to maximize the usefulness and impact of the videos
- Reviewing monthly videos produced by Sawa World’s Youth Reporters and providing detailed feedback for revisions and overall improvement
- Acting as an Advisor to the Youth Reporters
- Recommending new ideas or projects to grow the YMTP
- Meeting with the Operational Director in Canada on a regular basis
- Attending monthly team meetings and other relevant meetings and workshops
- Access to a computer and internet * A minimal commitment of 5 hours per week * Attend monthly team meetings and events * Respond to emails in a timely matter (within 2 days) * Strong passion for Sawa World’s Mission
Number of Volunteers Required 1
Approximate Position Start Date
5 hours per week
- 107 East 3rd Avenue (2nd Floor) , Vancouver, V5T 1C7
Please send your resume and cover letter to the Administrative Coordinator using the means provided on this website.