Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Bad
Cashier­ help customers (Former Employee) –  Newton, BC3 January 2016
hardest job ever. very bad mangement, Everything was done by politics in the store. employees were fun to talk to but would say stuff behind your back. overall wouldnt recommend the job
fun place to work and everyone was friendly
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC4 April 2016
Helped everyone out when needed help and greeted customers everyday. the pay was great and i loved working with everyone there. i gained a lot of customer service skills and working in fast paste environments. i love working with people
Pros
great environment and pay
Cons
too far
Interesting place to work
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB27 January 2016
It's not a bad place to work, most of the staff that works there are friendly, management could learn a few things though.
Great people and customers were quite nice because many were regulars.
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC23 February 2016
I generally closed so there was the serving of the customers but also maintaining workspace cleanliness and closing everything down preparing for the next day. I learned more social skills and made friends with the customers and learned what the regulars wanted. Most of my co workers were easy to work with and gave good instruction when a task needed to be done.
nice part-time with flexible hours
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 January 2016
Nice work environment but average management. Very flexible hours, so not a bad part-time job. Too little room for growth.
Great place to work with great people
Front End Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 April 2016
I loved working at Save On Foods, the people I worked with were friendly yet professional. The hours were flexible and they were willing to accommodate everyone's needs.
Fast paced engaging safety focused
Assistant Deli Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 December 2014
Always busy (made day go by fast)
Always got enough or more hours
Terrible resolution for dealing with corrupt management
Great coworkers
Safety information consistently provided and easily found
Average wages but consistent with raises
Pros
Busy, Coworkers, Consistent
Cons
Little to no discipline for management
stupid place to work for
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 May 2015
if your biggest want in this world is to be bossed around and punished for things you never did, or be punished if your child gets sick even if you have saved up worked days and vaca days then this is the place for you, where you wont ever have a schedule it changes daily so you cant have another life or job cause they dont pay well either they would rather you quit then pay you your raise
fun work place
Sales Person & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BC18 February 2016
 Over 5 years of experience as a cashier & customer service at Save on foods
 To obtain a position in your Institution- Entry Level-in order to utilize my skills and knowledge, as well as, to enjoy the positive and fruitful environment that your place is offering.
 Excellent customer service
awful place
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC2 November 2015
very bad place do not work there they pay you nothing and work is terrible. place is so bad it legit sucks balls. managers r terrible. co workers r dumb and annoying af. gabrage company. complete dirt.
Pros
its a job
Cons
long hours plus bad everything
fun and productive
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 November 2015
Positive co-workers and management very challenging everyday because there's lots of customers. Also i learned that you have to be patient to people. The most enjoyable is meeting new people everyday with smile.
Positive work environment
Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta2 September 2015
For the most part it is a good place to work. Management usually tries to create a fun and encouraging work environment. There's frequent opportunity to advance and free online education for employees. However like all retail there's a heavy work load and high expectations. Also it takes time to build seniority to get the shifts or days off you want. Save-On-Foods is a great first job or part time job.
Pros
Free snacks and coffee
Cons
Heavy work load, start at minimum wage
It just wasn't for me
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB16 December 2015
It wasn't the worst place to be i just didn't like the produce management and i wasn't getting nearly enough hours as i wanted.
The management was rather poor
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta9 May 2015
I did not really enjoy working at save on foods near the end of my employment because my department became disorganized and the treatment of employees declined. I have been injured a few times while on shift, and despite me reporting these issues it was completely ignored. The reason for this was because I was not injured enough to be sent home from work. The union (CLAC) was very weak and did not support people who were only working part-time. Save on Foods took advantage of this and only hired people for 34 hours a week so that they would still be registered as part-time but with no benefits. I was being paid less than minimum wage at Save on Foods because I had to account for a union fee. On paper it says I am being paid 11$/ hour, but the reality was that I was being paid 10$/ hour because for every hour I worked I had to pay 1$ to the union. At the time, the minimum wage in Alberta was 10.35$/hour.

I did enjoy working with my co-workers there, but even those who stayed and worked for the company for 4 years were still being yelled at by supervisors. The most common reason was that they were being too slow, however, most of these supervisors ignored other variables that made workers slower at doing their work such as having a shelve fall apart while they are stalking up goods.
Pros
Simple work
Cons
Poor management of employees
Productive and excellent customer service.
CUSTOMER SERVICE CLERK (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB28 July 2015
I have been working at Save On Foods part time since 2013 and at the same time going to school; I am very much happy working with them especially with my coworkers and supervisors who are very considerate and fun to work with. I have enjoyed working with diverse people and worked harmoniously with other coworkers at different departments as well, all in all I love working there, the environment is very good.
Pros
good for part time students like me before to start
Cons
salary is low but will be just enough with good hours worked
no hours
Grocery clerk and training (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC16 November 2015
work was ok but not enough hours and sometimes none at all. the management team has no respect for their associates. it was oo farto travel to and too muchtraffic on the way to get there, i had school close to all the shifts i got too.
Productive and fun
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 March 2016
I enjoy working there and all my co-workers are nice to me.
the most enjoyable part on my job is making sandwiches and serve the customer.
Filling fruit/Veggies
Produce Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB16 February 2016
Just filling fruits and Veggies all day, very long day
Rotation of fruit
Managers are somewhat nice
Co-workers will work if they are responsible
Days are very long
When the work day is over is the most enjoyable part of the job
Amazing Company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 September 2015
This company was great, they were very willing to work with the schedule that I needed. Everybody always came to work happy, and ready to work. Even the store manager would stop by daily and just say hi, and have a small conversation.

The benefits were amazing as well. Great unionized company!
Pros
Paid Weekly
not good
Bakery Department Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB23 November 2015
I packaged goods, provided customer service, made items and worked as apart of a team. I stacked shelves, cleaned and did what management told me