Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Good workplace with good Managers and co-workers
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 January 2017
A typical day of work as a grocery clerk consisted of stocking and facing shelves, checking dates on stock, cleaning shelves and the floors and assisting costumers to the best of your ability. I learned how to read a planogoram, how to properly stock and face product and how to interact with costumers and deal with bad situations should they arise. The management staff was kind, caring and wanted to see the best that I could do. My co-workers were all kind, helpful and made the workdays more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was facing items as some items would often fall down while facing or items would be stocked in the wrong spot. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interactions with the customers and the pride in seeing the quality of my work when finished.
Pros
Friendly managers and co-workers, easy to understand tasks and good environment.
Cons
Short amount of work hours, odd communication on schedule changes.
Well oginized
Cashier /Deli (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC16 January 2017
One of the best place I've worked fun. Energy of all employees were vibrant in a joyful to be apart of. All are very welcoming in well of doing a good job.
Coworkers are great! Appreciate my supervisor
Full Time Pharmacy Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2017
A good place to work. Has weaknesses like any other organization, but overall I enjoy where I work. Save On tends to attract a favorable demographic (ie) as opposed to organizations that focus ONLY on price point of the products they sell. Large organization, but privately owned, so feels a little more like a family run operation.
Pros
Small perks like providing employees with fruit in the staff room are nice
Cons
Lower end for compensation, somewhat limited opportunity to move up in rank within the organization
easy and enjoyable work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB9 January 2017
management is always easy to work with as they are here to help everyone. i love working at save on because it is a good starting job for someone who has no experience.
Fun place
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC9 January 2017
Work/life balance is really hard as its a union, hours are based on seniority. Also pay could be a little bit better specially when you work multiple departments.
Pros
great environment
Cons
low pay, long hours, have to work multiple departments
Fun And Productive
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2017
It is a fun place to work at and one can learn about all different departments.
The only drawback is that they are not providing the hours of works that they promised.
n/a
Cashier/ Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 January 2017
Worked sometimes 12-18 hrs.. Learned all that I needed to know in constructing roads. Management was terrible, most sites were poorly supervised. The hardest part of the job was long days and no real days off. The most enjoyable was working outdoors and seeing different towns in Alberta.
Personal Shopper
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Grandview, BC3 January 2017
3 day weeks quickly become 5 day random scheduled days. Bad training. Worse pay. Full time means you work 40 hours a week but are designated part time, so good luck with promised benefits. So many people hired, even more quit. Everyone at the store, even the union members, wished they could be anywhere else but there. Management had no power to reward hard workers.
Cons
Random hours, no advancement, crumby pay
Its okay. A good place to begin your work experience.
Department Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB3 January 2017
Its okay.
A good place to begin your work experience.
I love the place. Its a great place to work for everyone. There is no barrier to growth. You progress as you grow in the company.
Pros
Free lunch, Great team members and management
Cons
Na
Great first job and place to meet and make friends with common goals
Bakery Clerk/ General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC30 December 2016
I worked at Save On Foods #968 (Hart location) from July 2013 to December 24 2016. I was trained as a bakery clerk, working mostly 1:30 to 10 closing-shifts. I loved the bakery staff and have made many longlasting friendships while employed there. It was a wonderful first job, but I am a student and found requesting anytime off was difficult as upper-management did not think of post-secondary as important nor having a life outside of work. The hardest part of the job was not being taken seriously as a young adult. The most enjoyable part of the job was the actual work I did. A typical closing shift included: slicing bread, labelling and shelving the bread, traying and glazing pies, traying cookies, traying all products for the following day, making garlic bread, packaging leftover items from the "showcase bins" and extensive cleaning of the department. One typically works alone from 5 pm to 10 pm during a Bakery closing shift. Throughout my time at Save-On I was also trained as a cashier, grocery clerk and general clerk.
Pros
opportunities to advance, great "team" atmosphere
Cons
unsympathetic management
Good Entry Level Position
Cashier / General Clerk (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC18 December 2016
Typical entry level job with very basic benefits. Good for starters, or those wishing to pursue a part time job, in addition to something else. Good environment overall.
Demo work
Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Powell River, BC14 December 2016
Friendly customers , nice coworkers , bad , bad , BAD , management !!! There seems to be a lot favoritism and a little power seems to go to management's head !
Pros
Friendly customers
Cons
Poor management
Good job
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 December 2016
The staff were great and very hard workers. Management was very good. Salary was a bit low for work I did. Small room for advancement. The days were very repetitive. I did learn however how to stock a grocery store in a timely manner during my short time there. Hardest part of the job was being fast enough and being able to deal with the repetitiveness.
Pros
Consistent hours and management that cares about their workers.
Cons
Work was very repetitive.
easy pace with enjoyable work atmosphere
Baker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2016
working in the bakery department was a fun experience and would've liked to continue in this position. it is a great place to work and balance a life at home as well.
Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 December 2016
Management team was excellent to work for and made a fair and enjoyable work atmosphere.
Always kept occupied and had a task at hand.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Pay was low
It was a wonderful place working with flowers!!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC22 November 2016
It was my very first job into the providing customer service; originally it was the store of Richmond that called me and they asked me if willing to drive back and forth Abbotsford, I was willing but they gave a change in Abbotsford and stayed for 10 years. We did wedding, funeral packages; corsages graduations flowers; customer service;
Pros
I learned alot with the floweres arragetments;
Cons
A person got to do alot of funurals:((
Fun workplace with friendly employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2016
I enjoyed my time at save on foods and was treated with respect by my fellow coworkers and management staff. excellent training was provided and i was able to learn how to complete the tasks at hand in a timely manner.
Pros
predictable shifts, good pay
Alright
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 November 2016
Not a greats job I don't like standing in one place for long periods of time I like to be moving around it makes shifts go by way faster
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Rude managers
Great!
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC26 October 2016
Great staff, great environment! Unfortunately I was let go, due to the lack of business with online shopping at the clear brook location.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Not a lot of business for online shopping
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Revelstoke, BC20 October 2016
I really enjoyed my job at Save on Foods. It was fun, everybody I worked with were always happy. I learned how to deal with customers better and professionally handle complaints.
Pros
free food
Cons
far away from where i lived

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.