Save on Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

Always busy
clerk (Former Employee) –  100 Mile House, BCOctober 14, 2015
You would do many different things depending on which shift you were on. The co workers i worked with were all like family to me it was great.
Pros
breaks
Cons
nothing
Great people to work with, friendly enviornment and its a good workload everyday.
Service clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 8, 2012
save on foods has great managers from top to bottom and everyone in our work place works together. A great place to work for and be apart of, i would reccomend it for anyone to work there.
Pros
50 cent raise automatically every year!
Cons
open late, graveyard shift might also be a possibility.
it is a really good job to work at every one helpful
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  summerwoodSeptember 7, 2015
it a great job to learn new skills and every one is vary helpful we always have stuff to do mostly the same stuff everyday some times we have new tasks.
Pros
every one goes for brake all at once
Cons
lots of hard work and vary little rest
Productive Workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 22, 2015
Great place to work and great team to work along side with. Working at Save on I have gained a lot of experience is customer service and being on till with cash.
Pros
Employees are nice to one another
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun place to work in
Assistant Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 21, 2015
Great company to work for but not the greatest pay, they're based on union which is hard to deal with. the store that I'm in is a slow store so it becomes hard to find things to do so i venture out and get to do other department. All the co-workers and happy and friendly. I love to interact with customers so that always makes my day
One of the best company to work for.
General store clerk duties (Former Employee) –  Delta, BCMarch 1, 2013
An amazing place to work and works around your life style as many as hours you want to work. Great benefits and pay is great too. You get lot of increases. How can I forget to mention amazing staff lunches and discounts. Staff is great. I have nothing negative to say about this company. I would recommend anyone to work for Save on Foods.
Pros
great staff, great hours, work as many hours you like.
Productive good teamwork environment
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 15, 2014
Typical day at work consisted of unpacking and stocking shelves in the store while also leading customers to were certain products were located. Very rewarding job with tons of benefits. Many of the managers were very nice and welcoming. Its a pity
Pros
teamwork environment, travel time, free food
love my job enjoy working with others laughing working is productive
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCApril 12, 2013
i enjoy my job but am looking at possiblity of another store closing and the workers bumping in to my store causing there to be less hours for me
Pros
good coworkers goood managerment good benefits and pay
Cons
worried about my full time status
Good place to work for high school students looking for a flexible schedule
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJune 24, 2015
I started working here whilst I was in high school and they were really good about scheduling. If you were a new worker they'd call you in a lot. I received a call and when I hesitated in accepting the shift I was basically told I had to come in because "that's why we hired you," so if you don't want to work that day, don't pick up the phone!
Pros
Good Staff Room
Cons
Boring
Team oriented and mostly enjoyable experience
Department Specialist (Deli) (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABSeptember 19, 2015
- A typical day at work depended on the shift you were working, for example the 9-4 shift the team member working was responsible for the making of sandwiches and getting a start on salads, an 11-7 shift would be salads and then the finishing of department production and the beginning of the closing of the department. And any shift that went until 9 or 10 would be closing and the finishing of production. I myself worked all of those shifts, and completed them efficiently and effectively.
- I learned to work better in a team, and I actually came to enjoy it and look forward to it. I expanded my interpersonal skills and was always eager to help the customers, in fact it became one of my favourite things about the job!
- Management, in the beginning, was very nice and enjoyable to work with, however as my time in the department progressed I was placed in many situations that I should not have been that burdened me and affected the way I looked at work. This is what ultimately led to my decision to leave the company.
- I came to personally know all my co-workers and I made many new friends who I still talk to now! I got along extremely well with all of them, and this helped me even more to appreciate a team atmosphere.
- The hardest part of my job would have been the extremely busy days, when there was a lot of production to do and a lot of customers to help. However, this led me to the further development of my attentiveness and my ability to work quickly and efficiently and to work well in a team.
- The most enjoyable part of my job was working in sync with my co-workers
  more... and helping the customers. It was always nice to come into work and start on production while carrying a fun conversation with my co-workers and helping and connectiong to my customers.  less
Pros
For the most part it was an amazing atmosphere that I almost always thoroughly enjoyed working in
Cons
The hours began to affect my grades and place strain on relationships outside of work
The variety of work creates a forever changing and fresh feeling environment.
General Clerk & Meat Cutter (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCApril 1, 2015
A typical day at this job requires me to be attentive to all aspects of the store. Each grocery clerk must respond to cashier duties, in assisting a full service and helping regulate the flow of customers, by bagging or opening another register. Customer service, from communication and cleanliness to organization and conflict resolution, are daily skills that are needed to run the business efficiently. I've learned there are many great people to be met in the world and to give the best service possible always. It creates a positive and progressive environment that all should aim to achieve. The management team does a good job at keeping the customers and employees content with their experiences in the store.

The largest obstacle to overcome while working has to be knowing where all the variety of products are located across the store, which comes with time. The best part of working at this job is knowing there is room for expansion in particular skills and knowledge courses.
Pros
Varied team membership bonuses, outside of business operations
Cons
No static discount
Relaxed workplace
Grocery Clerk/Bulk Food Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ABAugust 19, 2015
It was fun to work at Save-On while I was there. I enjoyed talking to most of the staff and, I liked the work that I was doing.

I hope to find another job there soon.
Produce (Former Employee) –  edmonton, albertaJuly 11, 2015
A typical day of work consisted of lifting boxes of fruits and vegetables and going out and restocking the fruit shelves. My co-workers were all very friendly and i felt comfortable in the workplace after a while. The hardest part of the job was lifting boxes all day.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Lots of lifting
Great place to work, lots of room to move up
Assistant bakery Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 15, 2014
I like working with the company, great people, great benefits.
Productive and fun
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABJune 14, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers. Everyone has a story and it is interesting to learn about other people. The staff were good to work with overall.

It is hard to advance in the company. It is great for part time and therefore offers a great balance for students.
Fun and hard work. Very fulfilling.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCJune 13, 2015
Face to face customer service. I loved everything this job offered. To work fast and accurate was a must. Responsibility to show up for different shifts, (that could change within hours of checking online), and getting along with co-workers.
Productive workplace
Cashier, Deli, Bakery, Meat and Seafood, Grocery (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCMay 8, 2015
Working at save on foods provided me with knowledge of how to work in multiple departments as they cross trained me. Management was easy to bring issues to.
Internship at Save on Foods- Free Food For All!!
Assistant Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Ladner , BCJanuary 5, 2015
I worked as a Pharmacy Assistant at this location. It was a 3 month volunteer experience. Working at the pharmacy at Save on Foods was great. I had a great staff, all of them were different in their own ways and I got to learn so much from each of them. I learnt how difficult it can be to work under pressure and especially when you are under staffed and there are patients and customers wanting service. The most enjoyable part of the day was to be able to smell freshly baked bread throughout my shift and then to be able to go to the lunch room and have a table full of free food and a coffee vending machine for the extra espresso for the not so sunny days. No, in reality I enjoyed learning about different medications and how to tackle difficult situations in the pharmacy forefront and how to correctly speak to health care professionals.
Slow and boring
Cashier (Current Employee) –  AlbertaJuly 14, 2014
As a student, I usually worked evenings. This was usually about 5-10. However, after abut 7pm the customers start dwindling off and you are left standing at your till for the next 3 hours with nothing to do. Even reading the magazines by the tills was frowned upon.

Also, having two jobs I needed a flexible schedule from Save On Foods, which I did not receive. They book your schedule 3 weeks in advance which was barely enough time to book off doctor appointments, dentist appointments, etc.

Not worth it. I started working there, excited to be starting something new, and left feeling as though I wasted 6 months.

Also, the pay sucks. I got minimum wage, but they took about 5 dollars off every pay check (weekly, and I was only making 50-70 on each pay check) so I wasn't really getting even minimum wage.
Pros
either 20% off or 20x the points on your groceries depending on the month
Cons
slow, boring, not flexible, bad pay
Great co-workers and a great atmosphere.
Meat Department specialist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMay 11, 2015
There was always fresh fruit in the staff room accompanied by a friendly employee willing to chat your break away. Fellow employees always had a smile on their face and a skip in their step.
Pros
Great attitude.
Cons
Not a lot of compassion.