Save on Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive Workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 22, 2015
Great place to work and great team to work along side with. Working at Save on I have gained a lot of experience is customer service and being on till with cash.
Pros
Employees are nice to one another
Cons
Not enough hours
Team oriented and mostly enjoyable experience
Department Specialist (Deli) (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABSeptember 19, 2015
- A typical day at work depended on the shift you were working, for example the 9-4 shift the team member working was responsible for the making of sandwiches and getting a start on salads, an 11-7 shift would be salads and then the finishing of department production and the beginning of the closing of the department. And any shift that went until 9 or 10 would be closing and the finishing of production. I myself worked all of those shifts, and completed them efficiently and effectively.
- I learned to work better in a team, and I actually came to enjoy it and look forward to it. I expanded my interpersonal skills and was always eager to help the customers, in fact it became one of my favourite things about the job!
- Management, in the beginning, was very nice and enjoyable to work with, however as my time in the department progressed I was placed in many situations that I should not have been that burdened me and affected the way I looked at work. This is what ultimately led to my decision to leave the company.
- I came to personally know all my co-workers and I made many new friends who I still talk to now! I got along extremely well with all of them, and this helped me even more to appreciate a team atmosphere.
- The hardest part of my job would have been the extremely busy days, when there was a lot of production to do and a lot of customers to help. However, this led me to the further development of my attentiveness and my ability to work quickly and efficiently and to work well in a team.
- The most enjoyable part of my job was working in sync with my co-workers
  more... and helping the customers. It was always nice to come into work and start on production while carrying a fun conversation with my co-workers and helping and connectiong to my customers.  less
Pros
For the most part it was an amazing atmosphere that I almost always thoroughly enjoyed working in
Cons
The hours began to affect my grades and place strain on relationships outside of work
cashier
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABSeptember 14, 2015
Great flexible hours and a happy environment to work in. Management always there to offer assistance and flexible shifts to work and go to school.
it is a really good job to work at every one helpful
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  summerwoodSeptember 7, 2015
it a great job to learn new skills and every one is vary helpful we always have stuff to do mostly the same stuff everyday some times we have new tasks.
Pros
every one goes for brake all at once
Cons
lots of hard work and vary little rest
Positive work environment
Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaSeptember 2, 2015
For the most part it is a good place to work. Management usually tries to create a fun and encouraging work environment. There's frequent opportunity to advance and free online education for employees. However like all retail there's a heavy work load and high expectations. Also it takes time to build seniority to get the shifts or days off you want. Save-On-Foods is a great first job or part time job.
Pros
Free snacks and coffee
Cons
Heavy work load, start at minimum wage
A workplace that worked entirely on teamwork.
Receiver (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, B.CAugust 29, 2015
I enjoyed my time at save on foods. My coworkers were amazing people and the jobs were fairly easy once you get the hang of them.
Pros
free staff lunches
Cons
Management can be pushy
Fun place to work in
Assistant Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 21, 2015
Great company to work for but not the greatest pay, they're based on union which is hard to deal with. the store that I'm in is a slow store so it becomes hard to find things to do so i venture out and get to do other department. All the co-workers and happy and friendly. I love to interact with customers so that always makes my day
Relaxed workplace
Grocery Clerk/Bulk Food Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ABAugust 19, 2015
It was fun to work at Save-On while I was there. I enjoyed talking to most of the staff and, I liked the work that I was doing.

I hope to find another job there soon.
all the team members were friendly so it was fun on a job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCAugust 16, 2015
when I started a work in save on foods I have a no work experience but my manager she teach me every single thing related to the work.i learnt how to make sandwiches,party platters and many more.every month she review our working reports and gave us rating marks.my co workers were very friendly in nature,always helpful.the hardest part of my life is working with blades and machines.
Pros
lunch parties
Cons
long hour shift
Productive and excellent customer service.
CUSTOMER SERVICE CLERK (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 28, 2015
I have been working at Save On Foods part time since 2013 and at the same time going to school; I am very much happy working with them especially with my coworkers and supervisors who are very considerate and fun to work with. I have enjoyed working with diverse people and worked harmoniously with other coworkers at different departments as well, all in all I love working there, the environment is very good.
Pros
good for part time students like me before to start
Cons
salary is low but will be just enough with good hours worked
Was a very fun workplace and all was great
Produce clerk/ Fresh Cut Department (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ABJuly 13, 2015
My review on this job was I enjoyed getting up and travelling to my job everyday, I was happy and learned so many other skills, I enjoyed having a great boss at my job and other employees treated me with respect as I would to them. We all got along and had fun working together. The hardest part of my job was probably doing the order and knowing what product was needed for that week, or until next order day. The most enjoyable part of my job was having a great day with all the other employees I worked with. It was never a dull moment, and loved helping the customers in the best way I could.
Pros
Always had some kind of theme at the store!
Cons
Working weekends when short staffed!
Unbelievable management!
Bakery Department Employee (Former Employee) –  Fort St. JohnJuly 11, 2015
To me, management is the key to a successful work force. In order for the employee to continue to do labor for corporation or organization, they desire to have their demands met. Sadly up in Fort St. Johns, B.C. Canada there's no such thing. Many of my peers and I quit due to unfair management, one throwing me back on probation for not making it to work the day I fell down the stairs with a DOCTORS EXCUSE! Was simply given a strike, told if it happens again "people like me" tend to not last for long. I complained to the Union however I haven't heard much back so far. If you can, AVOID this branch for employment!
Pros
Great discounts on store merchandise.
Cons
Long hours, unfair hours, never feel as if opinion is voiced, etc.
Produce (Former Employee) –  edmonton, albertaJuly 11, 2015
A typical day of work consisted of lifting boxes of fruits and vegetables and going out and restocking the fruit shelves. My co-workers were all very friendly and i felt comfortable in the workplace after a while. The hardest part of the job was lifting boxes all day.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Lots of lifting
Good place to work for high school students looking for a flexible schedule
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJune 24, 2015
I started working here whilst I was in high school and they were really good about scheduling. If you were a new worker they'd call you in a lot. I received a call and when I hesitated in accepting the shift I was basically told I had to come in because "that's why we hired you," so if you don't want to work that day, don't pick up the phone!
Pros
Good Staff Room
Cons
Boring
Productive and fun
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABJune 14, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers. Everyone has a story and it is interesting to learn about other people. The staff were good to work with overall.

It is hard to advance in the company. It is great for part time and therefore offers a great balance for students.
Fun and hard work. Very fulfilling.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCJune 13, 2015
Face to face customer service. I loved everything this job offered. To work fast and accurate was a must. Responsibility to show up for different shifts, (that could change within hours of checking online), and getting along with co-workers.
stupid place to work for
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 26, 2015
if your biggest want in this world is to be bossed around and punished for things you never did, or be punished if your child gets sick even if you have saved up worked days and vaca days then this is the place for you, where you wont ever have a schedule it changes daily so you cant have another life or job cause they dont pay well either they would rather you quit then pay you your raise
A grocery company that operates in western canada
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  KelownaMay 16, 2015
The job required customer service and stocking shelves. Keeping the working area clean was also necessary. The job is part of the ufcw union.
Great co-workers and a great atmosphere.
Meat Department specialist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMay 11, 2015
There was always fresh fruit in the staff room accompanied by a friendly employee willing to chat your break away. Fellow employees always had a smile on their face and a skip in their step.
Pros
Great attitude.
Cons
Not a lot of compassion.
The management was rather poor
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaMay 9, 2015
I did not really enjoy working at save on foods near the end of my employment because my department became disorganized and the treatment of employees declined. I have been injured a few times while on shift, and despite me reporting these issues it was completely ignored. The reason for this was because I was not injured enough to be sent home from work. The union (CLAC) was very weak and did not support people who were only working part-time. Save on Foods took advantage of this and only hired people for 34 hours a week so that they would still be registered as part-time but with no benefits. I was being paid less than minimum wage at Save on Foods because I had to account for a union fee. On paper it says I am being paid 11$/ hour, but the reality was that I was being paid 10$/ hour because for every hour I worked I had to pay 1$ to the union. At the time, the minimum wage in Alberta was 10.35$/hour.

I did enjoy working with my co-workers there, but even those who stayed and worked for the company for 4 years were still being yelled at by supervisors. The most common reason was that they were being too slow, however, most of these supervisors ignored other variables that made workers slower at doing their work such as having a shelve fall apart while they are stalking up goods.
Pros
Simple work
Cons
Poor management of employees