Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Great teamwork and friendly staff
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 November 2017
Awesome staff, and easy job to learn. Learned a lot of communication skills being a cashier, I was only 14 years old. I would definitely recommend! Great hours.
overall a good experience
supervisor in the wine department (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 November 2017
As a supervisor I worked 830-5pm 5 days a week. I learned the ropes of selling in a retail environment. I was responsible for ordering wine for the store and organizing wine tastings and overall managing the department. The most difficult part of the job was trying to keep all the wines on the shelf as much as possible. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching my staff about wines of B.C., and selling a product I love to people that were willing to trust my opinion and try wines i suggested.
Pros
selling a product I love
Cons
keeping busy during the quiet times
enjoyed my time there
Front End Assistant/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 November 2017
excellent team members and staff. Management was alright and very understanding. Unfortunately, still only made minimum wage and it was hard to climb the ladder, however I enjoyed working there for a year.
Productive aqnd fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 November 2017
This has been a great job so far for me as my first. I think the atmosphere at work is great with so many great coworkers, which makes the job wonderful. There seems to be always something to learn at this place.
horrible company
Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 November 2017
Would never suggest for someone to work there. childish workers and management. Hours always getting taken away. Work way to hard for minimum wage....
Good place to work.
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC6 November 2017
A typical day at work for me was I would be receiving venders and there products during weekdays, and when company trucks showed up I would unload freight to the departments.What I learned from working at Save on Foods is how to be a team player by working with others. It was a good place to work.
Good co-workers but was basiaclly phased out after helping to set up the new store
Grocery Clerk / Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 November 2017
Helped set up the new store but was had my hours reduced to nothing and had no choice but to leave.

People were great to work with but was not given enough hours.
Good workers. Fun environment. Not so good at living a life.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brocklehurst, BC4 November 2017
Was a decent year but felt frustrated and stressed when there should have been no need vacation or any time off is rarely given and no hard work is appreciated.
Pros
Odd luncheon. Fun people to work with
Cons
Bad management
Job
Cashier/ Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC2 November 2017
Save on foods was such a great company to work with. The people, management and work ethics was really good. I enjoyed working in the deli and as a cashier
Pros
scheduled breaks
Cons
no discount
Good work place
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2017
I enjoyed working at save on. It was fun, entry level job. It is a very nice place with many employees.
I learned some new skills for cooking and preparing meats.
Good company until the end
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC29 October 2017
I, for the most part working for the company. Some co-workers were fun to work with. Others not so great. Some management were easy to talk to, others not so much. When I got sick and for health reasons and needed to move, the company wouldn’t transfer me saying there wasn’t enough “evidence “ to support my claim. Transfers are only for those already in management positions. Tried to fight it and in the end was forced to quit and move because of my health.
I will never work for this company again. I guess the 16 years I worked there didn’t mean much to the company and losing a dedicated employee was no big deal to them.
Pros
Wages and benefit packages
Cons
Too many to list
Medical and Dental sells this job
Restaurant Clerk (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BC28 October 2017
The greatest thing about working for Save on Foods is their Medical and Dental plan. The managers can be lazy at times and there is lots of favoritism towards some employees but its normally a friendly atmosphere.

The work environment can be fast paced at times which makes for shorter work days.

Save on Foods will hire you regardless of gender, handicaps or age. I have worked with quite a few older people who work there just to get out of the house a few days of the week.

Normally they can work around your needs and schedule you days and times which work best for you. Going to school? that's ok they can work around your school times so you can work and attend your classes.

Any and all complaints or issues can be dealt with easily and anonymous if you want.
Pros
Medical and Dental are awesome.
Cons
Pay isn't that much and shift times can differ everyday
its a great place but with alot of drama
Bakery clerk (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK28 October 2017
great for the first bit. it then has filled with drama. Costumers had completes about the prices not always being up. it is a friendly place to shop..
dead end job
Seafood, Deli, Cashier, Bulk (Current Employee) –  Cloverdale, NB28 October 2017
they pay you $11/hr, make you close one night and open the very next day all the time. after 2 years you still only make $11.50/hr. they don't know how to schedule people properly,
This place needs some serious help
Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  British Columbia25 October 2017
Nothing about the job was enjoyable the pay was not good enough for the work you have to do the hours didn't cover living expenses even for fulltime people they only gave a 5 cent raise for every 500 hours that's like 20 cents a year the fulltime is capped at 37.50 so no overtime and no paid lunches no matter how hard you work you will not be rewarded at all I've worked here and seen others rise above me to management positons when I worked 10 time harder then they do and when trying to get a full time position you will be shot down instantly no consideration at all because only important positions are fulltime which is completely garbage no wonder why long term employees don't stay I could go on forever about how bad my experience with this company was only apply if your lazy or need work experience don't waste your time on a career that has no advancement at all.
Pros
Free expired food Being schedule on days you don't want to work
Cons
No respect for workers, advancement for lazy people, management lives in fairyland
poor working enviroment
pharmacy manager (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB24 October 2017
overworked and underpaid
hours were ok (closes at 9:00pm)
license and insurance coverage
lowest wages in town, no raises.
bonus okay
old style dispensary
Pros
bonus save-on-more points
Cons
lowest wages in town
It’s a good job to help get you back on track
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 October 2017
I like save on foods it’s a good company to work for during high school and college/university you get great rewards and you can go management positions
Pros
Get 15% during the first week of every month
Cons
Not getting enough hours
Worst grocery store to work at! Not all, but the location I worked at.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 October 2017
My brother and I used to work in the same grocery chain but in different locations. Unfortunately, I was unlucky that I was hired in the store that gave me the worst job experience I ever had in my life so far. Managers talk to their colleagues/employees like they own them. Colleagues quitting because of the rude and bad the management. They don't care about their employees at all. I was pressured to take more shifts because we were understaffed, and because I have school I just quit. I once heard a manager yelling on the phone to probably one of our colleagues. Colleagues or not, it was so unprofessional. Very stressful environment to work at.
Pros
Okay salary
Cons
Bad management, rude managers
Productive and fun workplace
Sushi Chef (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 October 2017
Co-workers are fun and hard workers. Make me feel happy and comfortable. Help each other to improve their knowledge and skills. Managerment always help team members and give us some rewards when we did a good jobs to encourage us.....
Great employers!
Grocery Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC20 October 2017
i have only been here for a few months but it has proven to be one of the best choices i have made career-wise. Hours are slow to start but once you are trained in more departments your hours will increase!
Pros
benefits after 3 months, decent wages to start, very friendly work environment
Cons
short hours to start; Full time not available until a full year with the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.