Save on Foods Employee Reviews

need to be more flexible with time off
Meat cutter/ deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC24 June 2016
i did not like how the scheduling works, life happens, if I needed time off, it was really hard to just hand my shift off to someone that worked in my department, because it goes by seniority, it made it rally hard
Save on Foods
Currently a cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC19 August 2016
A typical day at work would be me checking out costumers groceries. I would also get to sometimes clean up and fence yes isles .
Great atmosphere to work in; I learned a lot about customer service and people were friendly.
produce associate (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 January 2016
typical day I would walk in, get ready for work, they would all be welcoming and friendly; and there was no complications between areas of work (Example: Between Bakery and Produce). I would go on break usually on time. Once or twice I nearly missed lunch due to a rush hour but manager was forgiving.
I learned the importance of being reliable, worth ethic, how to stock properly, how to adapt to a new environment, and to ask questions.
The assistant manager had some of the best costumer service skills I had ever seen. Somebody I wanted to impress. My manager made me feel like he didn't like me, but he did his job well.
All co workers were friendly. Conversation easily flowed between me and whomever I was working near. Something I quite wasn't used to.
I found the pace and the amount of work to be done quite hard.
The most enjoyable was the atmosphere and the people I worked with.
Pros
Friendly co workers, forgiving manager, friendly customers, free food in break room, tv in break room
Cons
Long hours, fast paced, overwhelming, the rare rude customer, still not sure why I was terminated.
Rude Manager
Bakery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 June 2016
I was a bakery specialist and my friend was as well, our Manager used to harass us and make us feel horrible and made us hate our job. She got so mad one time for no reason and yelled at my friend, she then cried because she was overwhelmed. Most people in the bakery quit due to this manager.
Pros
good money and hours
Cons
horrible manager
Happy place to work
3rd Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 November 2015
Nice place to work. Super clean out of any grocery store I have shopped at. Super friendly staff and always willing to help. Loved working with my employees.
Pros
Staff were great
Cons
Raise increase sucks every 500hrs. When I worked there 4 years, All I got was an $1.50 raise..
not much to say
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 June 2016
Liked the coworkers, hated the regulations. Couldn't do much- had to either stand in front of the till or at the till. Liked it when I had to do something that let me move around; do carts, clean, run things back.
Slave on by working at Save on
Grocery department specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 February 2015
Terrible management, too much favoritism, terrible scheduling. Fastest shrink item is employee morale. Only work here if you can't go anywhere else. Could be store I am at, but the managers are awful and do not recognize their employees no matter how hard they slave. Pay is low and raises are very small. Only if you are a favorite will you advance.
Pros
benefits are decent
Cons
terrible environment
customer serivce great company over all
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 February 2016
great company to work for overall. This was my first REAL job during and after high school great hours and pay great co-workers but company no longer has the same pay or benefit package as before for employees. E. I. I had to take a buy out due to my health reasons. was with company for 13 years. I went back to the company as it was great company to work for before but when I got rehired i was no where close to making a living money. I was very close to minimum wage and not many hours.. its a job for high school students who are living at home not for someone who can live on the wage all alone. great company for high school students but not for adult who has bills to pay and family to feed
Fun Work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB2 March 2016
A good place to work just do not get a sufficient amount of hours.
Always keeps you busy
Good interaction with people
Many different things to do
Deal with money and interac
Management is friendly
Fast-paced, challenging, engaging
General clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 February 2015
I spent ten years as part of the Overweitea Food Group at Save On Foods in Fleetwood. I received awesome training working with a great group of people and was placed in head production role because of my ability for production and efficiency on the Job as well as time-management. I had amazing benefits (including ATO's=paid days off bi-weekly, 90% dental and sick bank), fun work environment ideal for coaching, mentoring and challenging people to think on their feet as well as learning various aspects of management through experience and seeking growth.
Pros
awesome people. time and a half on stats which are plenty through the year
Cons
low chance of getting bast benefits now with the direction of the company
Good People and Environment
Front End Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 April 2015
I had a good amount of training when I started which was helpful. I learned a variety of codes and how to operate the cash register. The management was okay. I would have enjoyed interacting more with the manager of my department as well as getting offered opportunities for advancement based on my career aspirations. A lot of the people I worked with were nice and helpful. The hardest part of my job was the lack of flexibility when it came to sick days and the most enjoyable part were the regular customers who came in and the overall enjoyable attitude of the people who I worked with.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Repetitive
Lead Cake Decorator
LEAD CAKE DECORATOR (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK17 June 2016
The manager is an ignorant idiot, do NOT work in Bakery!!!

All cakes come in iced, and frozen, there is barely any work to be done to them,
Lack of Organization
cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 November 2015
I learned nothing for lack of training. They said I would get part time hours which meant one 8 hour shift once biweekly (until training happened, which never did). Management does not communicate together nor do they really respect staff. The co-workers are very helpful and understanding. The hardest part of the job is keeping manager happy. The most enjoyable part is the customers. I saw on here that it was a fun, enjoyable place to work. Wow, was I wrong!
Pros
Customers
Cons
Miscommunications, stressful
Fun and productive workplace
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC8 November 2015
At Save On Foods we're like a family.
For me it's a home away from home. Everyone is extremely friendly and always in a happy mood. If i'm ever feeling down I can count on the staff to turn my mood around. There's always something to do so you're always occupied, management makes sure of that. Management is absolutely amazing, always making sure everything is okay. I've learned so much through out my experience.
Pros
Staff draws every 2nd week
Cons
Scattered hours
Fast paced engaging safety focused
Assistant Deli Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 December 2014
Always busy (made day go by fast)
Always got enough or more hours
Terrible resolution for dealing with corrupt management
Great coworkers
Safety information consistently provided and easily found
Average wages but consistent with raises
Pros
Busy, Coworkers, Consistent
Cons
Little to no discipline for management
Bad
Cashier­ help customers (Former Employee) –  Newton, BC3 January 2016
hardest job ever. very bad mangement, Everything was done by politics in the store. employees were fun to talk to but would say stuff behind your back. overall wouldnt recommend the job
stupid place to work for
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 May 2015
if your biggest want in this world is to be bossed around and punished for things you never did, or be punished if your child gets sick even if you have saved up worked days and vaca days then this is the place for you, where you wont ever have a schedule it changes daily so you cant have another life or job cause they dont pay well either they would rather you quit then pay you your raise
fun place to work and everyone was friendly
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC4 April 2016
Helped everyone out when needed help and greeted customers everyday. the pay was great and i loved working with everyone there. i gained a lot of customer service skills and working in fast paste environments. i love working with people
Pros
great environment and pay
Cons
too far
Interesting place to work
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB27 January 2016
It's not a bad place to work, most of the staff that works there are friendly, management could learn a few things though.
Great people and customers were quite nice because many were regulars.
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC23 February 2016
I generally closed so there was the serving of the customers but also maintaining workspace cleanliness and closing everything down preparing for the next day. I learned more social skills and made friends with the customers and learned what the regulars wanted. Most of my co workers were easy to work with and gave good instruction when a task needed to be done.