Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Really negative place to work
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 June 2017
Having previously worked at both Superstore and Safeway I can honestly say this is the worst Grocery Chain to work for hands down. Store management is horrible which has led to high employee turn over and a lack of training means if you do have previous experience you are expected to carry the workload as the inexperienced teen agers they hire stand around checking their cellphones to see how long till their next break.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, terrible hours, bad management
So-so
Department Specialist in Grocery (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB21 June 2017
Middle management changes frequently, friction between departments, dusty warehouse, late orders, indifference to when people shirk responsibilities onto others. Management can sometimes contradict each other with their instructions. Safe work environment, generally friendly people, interpersonal trust. Often the break room has free food. Staff discount for Chinese food, as well as monthly perks through More Rewards program
Pros
free food in break room
Cons
conflicting instructions
fun place to work
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 June 2017
the manager were very nice there they would help you when you would need it tell you what to do so you would never just stand there the whole place was filled with energy no negativity
False accusation/ Devistationg Job Loss
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Parksville, BC18 June 2017
This was a wonderful Job for 9 years, It was apart of me, like family.
I was wrongfully terminated and fought with union to rectify, awaiting appeal verdict. Unfortunately I made an error that I didn't realise sad part it was as a customer not at work that caused my termination. I had a unblemished work record and great customer service. I had a great boss that knew and trusted my work ethic and dedication. I was very dedicated and believed in company. Unfortunately a new boss with his own ways deflated our team spirit and many of us lost jobs or chose to go else ware. I had a great 9 yrs prior to this and take with me many wonderful skills and experiences.
Pros
Good Team members
Cons
Hard work, long hours on feet, turn over of staff.
Management was good and bad the store that I worked at went through 5 main store managers some were easier to work for then others
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 June 2017
I worked in dairy cooler it was pretty quiet as cooler fans blasted inside the cooler?By far the hardest part about this area was double order days went I would have 2 pallets of dairy freight come in as well as 5-6 pallet of milk and the rotation of it all was tuff as I worked alone most days.That being said was also my favourite part about the job it was over pretty quick as time flew by.
Pros
Cool area for working in summer time
Cons
No ot - over time at all
Award nights
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vernon BC6 June 2017
Parttime
Busy
Communicate more
Was working with the associates
Helpin the Customers
Hard to get time off
Dealing with stressful situations
Pros
Christmas parties
Cons
Lack of communication with management
Reliable
Food Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, AB5 June 2017
They look after their people and are upfront. Hours can be a bit wonky, but are fair overall, and the people, both employees and management are good and supportive.
Told being a good employee and never missing a shift counts for nothing!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB30 May 2017
Horrible place to work!! Expect so much from older employees, but let the teenagers run wild! Play favoritism with family members that work at various stores. If my mom would have worked at save on foods for 30 years, I would immediately qualify as management!!! Not fair to people who are actually qualified. They base hours on availability and not work performance. I was available for full time hours, but not past 7pm as I have small children...I was given 7.5 hours a week. ridiculous!! When I asked for more hours, and explained I could not support my children on 80 bucks a week, they said only the people with open availability get the hours!! That, being a good and loyal employee meant nothing!!! The management team in the Okotoks store have absolutely no clue, and will always have a high turn over of employees, the store has only been opened for 4 months and they are already on their second hiring wave!!! If you value yourself at all...do not work there!!! The best part of the day was going home!
Cons
no benifits
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC27 May 2017
Save On is a friendly secure place to work. Staff is easy to get along with. Customers are friends. I would recommend Save On to students. Good cashier job.
Good part-time job to get you some money
Personal shopper, Online Shopping (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC26 May 2017
Our store management team is good with scheduling and accommodating all possible RTO or hours change requests. People I work with are mostly great, fun and friendly. Pay is low, I don't think anybody can survive on it, only good as a supplement or second income.
Pros
Free fruits in a lunchroom
Cons
Low pay
work
Cashier/Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BC26 May 2017
have lockers for employees
many part timers
work seems to go by fast when its busy
when its not busy its difficult to stay busy because of procedures and senority
Great Place
Restaurant Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 May 2017
-Fresh products
-Clean store
-Stocked Shelves
-Friendly Staff
-Help customers locate products
-Store can get busy depening on the time of day/week/year
Pros
Cons
Not given enough hours to meet basic needs
Fun Place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 May 2017
I enjoyed working there. It was a comfortable environment to work with and it was a team work to help customers and give them most importance for their requirement.
Fast paced work atmosphere with good benefits.
Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC16 May 2017
My current management team has been very helpful and encouraging during my time working at Save On Foods. Because of this I have had the opportunity the assistant Deli Manager for the past year. During this time i have improved my work ethic, learned valuable management and customer service skills, and discovered my enthusiasm for challenging work. On a typical day I spend my hours working freight, setting up display cases, directing product assembly for the day, and making order adjustments, all while serving customers intermittently. The hardest part of the job, which is also the most satisfying, would be having to constantly balance many different responsibilities at one time.
Pros
Good Benefits, Opportunity for promotion, Excellent management
Cons
Unpredictable schedule
review
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC14 May 2017
it was a really friendly environment i got good hours it was usually very busy.The hardest part of the job was remembering the codes.Them most enjoyable part of the job was talking to new people everyday and hearing their stories and just helping them out. good customer service
Okay for part time/temporary, not that you'll get full time anyways
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC13 May 2017
Since it's a union, it takes forever to get even close to full time hours (sometimes up to a year) unless you work in an extremely small department. After a year, you get full medical and fairly good dental as well, plus paid vacation. However, the first couple of months they can fire you without reason, and you would be lucky to get 2 or 3 shifts a month.

Also because it's a union, there are far too many long term employees who are making 25 to 30 dollars an hour, and getting 6 weeks paid vacation, while doing the exact same work as you. It is now impossible to work your way up to that wage, as they have capped entry level positions at a maximum of 16 an hour.

Along the lines of long-term employees, management will let many things slide and look past certain rules broken by longer term employees. When you start, they will tell you that if you ever have a problem, you can just go to one of the union representatives, however the two times I did take advantage of that, my confidential problems were told to other people within management, which made me feel very awkward and unsafe in my work environment. I have heard many stories like this one from my old coworkers.
Pros
Paid holiday's, good benefits after a year, free lunches/food in staff room, job security after probational period
Cons
Unsympathetic management, constantly fluctuating schedule, hard to get time off, unable to book time off over Christmas holiday's
Flexible schedule and cross training
Cashier/ Deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC10 May 2017
In the deli department, I would assist customers and serve deli products. I learned to work as a team member and to multi-task when working on production. The hardest part of the job is to complete extra work tasks when a coworker calls in sick. The small group of employees would then have to delegate tasks efficiently. As for the enjoyable part of work, I'd say working with the Grid B employees because we share the same employee rights and payscale. The Grid B employees are fun to work with and create a positive atmosphere in the workplace. The Grid A employees voted out the Grid B employees in 1997 from having additional employments benefits and security.
Pros
flexible schedule, cross training
Cons
lack of benefits, unfair pay wages, segregation of employees
Stiff, unpleasent environment with tension in the air. On break there were no words shared only silence.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 May 2017
A typical day at work was fairly boring, facing and stocking shelves was my job, and it seems like a monkey could do it. Some of the employees said what they thought, no matter how it might make others feel. Trash talk about management.
Pros
easy work
Cons
no discounts
Productive, Positive hard working environment
Cashier/Bakery Department (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC5 May 2017
I have learned many skills such as using a cash register along with memorising the codes for fruits and vegetables. I also learned closing duties and got to work in a team with positive and hard working people. The most enjoyable part was always being busy with something that the time flew by quickly. The staff were also super sweet. A typical day at work meant that everything was finished at the end of each shift, such as cleaning, and serving customers to the fullest.
Pros
Free Snacks, hot beverages
Cons
Long bus ride to work
fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tsawwassen, BC4 May 2017
Greeting people is the best part. When you offer them some help and they look back at you with a smile, is very satisfying. Would recommend others to try retailing as well :)
Pros
Complimentry fruit
Cons
Long Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.