Save on Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

Good People and Environment
Front End Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 5, 2015
I had a good amount of training when I started which was helpful. I learned a variety of codes and how to operate the cash register. The management was okay. I would have enjoyed interacting more with the manager of my department as well as getting offered opportunities for advancement based on my career aspirations. A lot of the people I worked with were nice and helpful. The hardest part of my job was the lack of flexibility when it came to sick days and the most enjoyable part were the regular customers who came in and the overall enjoyable attitude of the people who I worked with.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Repetitive
nice people
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 16, 2016
Fun place to work and great people just below average wages. Hours were good and management were very reasonable. Would recommend this job to a student or someone looking for a part-time job
no hours
Grocery clerk and training (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BCNovember 16, 2015
work was ok but not enough hours and sometimes none at all. the management team has no respect for their associates. it was oo farto travel to and too muchtraffic on the way to get there, i had school close to all the shifts i got too.
Great job to start with.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 9, 2016
This is a great starting job. Salary is good. They are willing to train staff at whatever is needed. Union based and christian company.
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cloverdale, BCApril 11, 2016
great place to work, friendly management, and flexible hours for students. Really easy to get adjusted and be apart of the save on family
Pros
great team, and break schedule
Slave on by working at Save on
Grocery department specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 19, 2015
Terrible management, too much favoritism, terrible scheduling. Fastest shrink item is employee morale. Only work here if you can't go anywhere else. Could be store I am at, but the managers are awful and do not recognize their employees no matter how hard they slave. Pay is low and raises are very small. Only if you are a favorite will you advance.
Pros
benefits are decent
Cons
terrible environment
not good
Bakery Department Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABNovember 23, 2015
I packaged goods, provided customer service, made items and worked as apart of a team. I stacked shelves, cleaned and did what management told me
stupid place to work for
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 26, 2015
if your biggest want in this world is to be bossed around and punished for things you never did, or be punished if your child gets sick even if you have saved up worked days and vaca days then this is the place for you, where you wont ever have a schedule it changes daily so you cant have another life or job cause they dont pay well either they would rather you quit then pay you your raise
Fast-paced, challenging, engaging
General clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCFebruary 16, 2015
I spent ten years as part of the Overweitea Food Group at Save On Foods in Fleetwood. I received awesome training working with a great group of people and was placed in head production role because of my ability for production and efficiency on the Job as well as time-management. I had amazing benefits (including ATO's=paid days off bi-weekly, 90% dental and sick bank), fun work environment ideal for coaching, mentoring and challenging people to think on their feet as well as learning various aspects of management through experience and seeking growth.
Pros
awesome people. time and a half on stats which are plenty through the year
Cons
low chance of getting bast benefits now with the direction of the company
Productive and fun
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 10, 2016
I enjoy working there and all my co-workers are nice to me.
the most enjoyable part on my job is making sandwiches and serve the customer.
Amazing Company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 30, 2015
This company was great, they were very willing to work with the schedule that I needed. Everybody always came to work happy, and ready to work. Even the store manager would stop by daily and just say hi, and have a small conversation.

The benefits were amazing as well. Great unionized company!
Pros
Paid Weekly
Filling fruit/Veggies
Produce Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABFebruary 16, 2016
Just filling fruits and Veggies all day, very long day
Rotation of fruit
Managers are somewhat nice
Co-workers will work if they are responsible
Days are very long
When the work day is over is the most enjoyable part of the job
Save on
Deli Clerk, Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCOctober 17, 2015
Great place to work. Good management and coworkers are fun and lovely to work with at every store. Very flexiable with scheduales.
Pros
free lunches, good coworkers
Cons
lots of scheduale changes
Productive and excellent customer service.
CUSTOMER SERVICE CLERK (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 28, 2015
I have been working at Save On Foods part time since 2013 and at the same time going to school; I am very much happy working with them especially with my coworkers and supervisors who are very considerate and fun to work with. I have enjoyed working with diverse people and worked harmoniously with other coworkers at different departments as well, all in all I love working there, the environment is very good.
Pros
good for part time students like me before to start
Cons
salary is low but will be just enough with good hours worked
Great Experience with customers
Department Specialist (Deli) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 19, 2016
good job to improve on customer service/satisfaction, multitasking skills were used a lot, energetic place to work at especially with fun out going people.
friendly and productive work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCJanuary 26, 2016
This is a very pleasant work environment working with customers to get their groceries through the till in a friendly atmosphere in a positive manner. It is a good company to work for and I would recommend it to anyone
okay
Cashier/ costumer service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 16, 2016
learnt PLU codes
learnt to deal with costumers
learnt to handle upset costumers
learnt the store
learnt how to bag groceries
learnt how to use the intercom
The management was rather poor
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaMay 9, 2015
I did not really enjoy working at save on foods near the end of my employment because my department became disorganized and the treatment of employees declined. I have been injured a few times while on shift, and despite me reporting these issues it was completely ignored. The reason for this was because I was not injured enough to be sent home from work. The union (CLAC) was very weak and did not support people who were only working part-time. Save on Foods took advantage of this and only hired people for 34 hours a week so that they would still be registered as part-time but with no benefits. I was being paid less than minimum wage at Save on Foods because I had to account for a union fee. On paper it says I am being paid 11$/ hour, but the reality was that I was being paid 10$/ hour because for every hour I worked I had to pay 1$ to the union. At the time, the minimum wage in Alberta was 10.35$/hour.

I did enjoy working with my co-workers there, but even those who stayed and worked for the company for 4 years were still being yelled at by supervisors. The most common reason was that they were being too slow, however, most of these supervisors ignored other variables that made workers slower at doing their work such as having a shelve fall apart while they are stalking up goods.
Pros
Simple work
Cons
Poor management of employees
Fun and Energetic Place
gereral clerk (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BCJanuary 8, 2016
I had a lot of fun working for save on foods for the past 4.5 years. Everyone there made each day a different type of experience. Great atmosphere when it came to everyone's customer service.
cashier
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABSeptember 14, 2015
Great flexible hours and a happy environment to work in. Management always there to offer assistance and flexible shifts to work and go to school.