Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Rude Manager
Bakery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 June 2016
I was a bakery specialist and my friend was as well, our Manager used to harass us and make us feel horrible and made us hate our job. She got so mad one time for no reason and yelled at my friend, she then cried because she was overwhelmed. Most people in the bakery quit due to this manager.
Pros
good money and hours
Cons
horrible manager
I honestly quite liked it.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB8 July 2016
I honestly really liked working in that environment. My manager was great and my coworkers were helpful and kind. They gave me constructive criticism and helped me out when i was having a rough time. So, overall i really liked working there.
A good job for high school students doing part time.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 May 2016
typical day at work is finishing all of the freight that comes in and then facing the entire store before closing.
things I learned : memorized all of the aisles of which foods are in, how grocery stores are run.
management is okay. they are helpful and focused but also very unorganized and they do not have set schedules. you work all hours of any day.
my co workers are great people, work hard, very easy to communicate, I consider them my friends.
the hardest part of the job is working in the freezer alone and having to do all of the frozen freight alone within one shift and lifting really heavy boxes without any help.
the most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with.
Pros
the co workers are very pleasent to be around.
Cons
no permanent set hours. call you in to work on your day off. Ask alot of one person. expect too much
Terrible Management, Changing shifts, Assigned shifts exceeding avaliability.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2016
The management was terrible. The co-workers were easy to work with but the environment was unsettling. An average workday would consist of being discouraged due to comments made towards me by Management.
Pros
Enjoyed talking to customers
Cons
Terrible Management
Great first job and place to meet and make friends with common goals
Bakery Clerk/ General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC30 December 2016
I worked at Save On Foods #968 (Hart location) from July 2013 to December 24 2016. I was trained as a bakery clerk, working mostly 1:30 to 10 closing-shifts. I loved the bakery staff and have made many longlasting friendships while employed there. It was a wonderful first job, but I am a student and found requesting anytime off was difficult as upper-management did not think of post-secondary as important nor having a life outside of work. The hardest part of the job was not being taken seriously as a young adult. The most enjoyable part of the job was the actual work I did. A typical closing shift included: slicing bread, labelling and shelving the bread, traying and glazing pies, traying cookies, traying all products for the following day, making garlic bread, packaging leftover items from the "showcase bins" and extensive cleaning of the department. One typically works alone from 5 pm to 10 pm during a Bakery closing shift. Throughout my time at Save-On I was also trained as a cashier, grocery clerk and general clerk.
Pros
opportunities to advance, great "team" atmosphere
Cons
unsympathetic management
need to be more flexible with time off
Meat cutter/ deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC24 June 2016
i did not like how the scheduling works, life happens, if I needed time off, it was really hard to just hand my shift off to someone that worked in my department, because it goes by seniority, it made it rally hard
Save on is one of the top company that i really admire, they usually does the their customer needs.
Part Time Cashier (Current Employee) –  Squamish, BC2 April 2016
I just started at save on as a part time, i do like there, they all nice the management, my co worker and even the customer, i enjoyed most. when i met different kind of people, sharing their thoughts and sometimes an out of the blue stuff, but that's ok i enjoyed, listening to them.
Pros
extra 15 mins break and free treat (fruits)
Cons
sometimes if they ask you to have an over time, but your so tired an exhausted.
good company
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC29 August 2016
I enjoy working there, with all great customer service I love work environment. staff and management work as friendly, wages and benefit reasonable.
An Overall Steady Job
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB4 August 2016
Serves good for a first job and I've learnt to work efficiently and co-operatively, to manage my time well within my shift to complete tasks, and to be responsible for my own safety. Most days are quite standard and predictable as you would expect from a grocery store. There is a heavy load of packaging to be done most days but is still manageable along with other tasks. My co-workers most of the time are helpful and positive individuals who work hard and are considerate of others. The hardest parts of the job are managing time and product during sales or large orders as it can create a stressful and fast paced work day. The most enjoyable aspects of working for Save On Foods is the organization of the company/store in terms of payment of employees and scheduling as they do provide an online schedule. The biggest issue i have with working at Save On Foods is the payment/pay scale. Opportunity to move up and/or receive a pay increase are difficult and when a raise is earned its quite minuscule.
Pros
payment always on time, organized, online schedules, free food
Cons
poor pay/raises, monotonous work
Good career for retail foods
Shipper Receiver (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB30 March 2016
Typical retail store
Unioned
You learned many new skills that will carry thru to other jobs if needed.
Management is great, they listen and help if need to and are willing to work right beside you to get the job done.
Most enjoyable part of the job is the knowledge you acquire and the different jobs you can learn with in the job.
Pros
Friendly envroment
Cons
Retail
Save on Foods
Currently a cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC19 August 2016
A typical day at work would be me checking out costumers groceries. I would also get to sometimes clean up and fence yes isles .
Great Place to Work...Not A Lot of Room for Growth
Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC14 May 2016
A typical day at work starts with a great attitude. I have learned how to serve customers more efficiently and I've learned how to try and keep every single person happy. Management is great. They're fair, and non-judgmental.
Procudctive and Friendly Work Enviroment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2016
Save on Foods, specifically the front end, is an amazing department to work in as we are the faces the customer last see's when leaving the grocery store. We assure they are leaving with a smile and full satisfaction of individual needs. Management has changed continuously during the time I've worked at Save On Foods, and I can confidently say each individual has taught me about either customer service, image or the history/background of Save On Foods. This allowed me to expand my knowledge and deliver high end service for our customers. The most enjoyable part about working at Save On Foods is the customer appreciation that you have done something that will put a smile on their face. I also enjoy seeing regular customers as they become a familiar face and we are able to have great conversations when being served.
Pros
Communacation with regular customers
Cons
Low Salary
Fun
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC25 August 2016
Excellent work environment, a lot of staff to make your shift fun.
Training provided excellent for students and/or seniors
fun place to work and everyone was friendly
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC4 April 2016
Helped everyone out when needed help and greeted customers everyday. the pay was great and i loved working with everyone there. i gained a lot of customer service skills and working in fast paste environments. i love working with people
Pros
great environment and pay
Cons
too far
not much to say
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 June 2016
Liked the coworkers, hated the regulations. Couldn't do much- had to either stand in front of the till or at the till. Liked it when I had to do something that let me move around; do carts, clean, run things back.
Great people and customers were quite nice because many were regulars.
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC23 February 2016
I generally closed so there was the serving of the customers but also maintaining workspace cleanliness and closing everything down preparing for the next day. I learned more social skills and made friends with the customers and learned what the regulars wanted. Most of my co workers were easy to work with and gave good instruction when a task needed to be done.
Great staff not so great management
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC31 May 2016
The new management team stinks ! Not great scheduling either, inconsistent scheduling, and they do not corporate with your schedule
Pros
Great team members
Cons
Management sucks
customer serivce great company over all
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 February 2016
great company to work for overall. This was my first REAL job during and after high school great hours and pay great co-workers but company no longer has the same pay or benefit package as before for employees. E. I. I had to take a buy out due to my health reasons. was with company for 13 years. I went back to the company as it was great company to work for before but when I got rehired i was no where close to making a living money. I was very close to minimum wage and not many hours.. its a job for high school students who are living at home not for someone who can live on the wage all alone. great company for high school students but not for adult who has bills to pay and family to feed
gerenal help
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2016
i was a good company to work had some nice co workers and i liked working inside i learned alot about cumtoer service it was hard working outside and in the winter the management was ok