Save on Foods Employee Reviews

"Slave on Foods"
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ladner, BC9 January 2018
Working conditions where horrible, standing for a couple hours on end in one spot sucks. Air conditioning was often broken. Managers at times where unreasonable and co-workers where snotty and boring. I expected way more than minimum wage for the ammount of work we where doing and some of my co-workers agreed. Lunch breaks postponed, at times, if someone more senior to you f'd up. Horrible establishment.
Pros
Decent hours
Cons
pay, co-workers, work environment
The managers don't care
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB8 January 2018
Everyone's grumpy. The mangers don't care about the workers. They have very overly high expectations for a job that's minimum wage,.They expect you to learn everything within a very short period of time and they expect you to just know what's on sale even if you haven't worked in days.You can't talk to them about any problems you're having without them making you feel judged or like it's your fault (even if it's not). They don't care about the well being of their employees at all.
If you work here don't expect any positive reinforcement at all and expect to have everything you do picked at
Pros
None.
Cons
Horrible managers
was ok
Grocery Clerk,deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 January 2018
Was a steady job, full time hours.had enough training, with some nice people. The upper management could have taken some more time in dealing with personal matters among people.The pay is low
Pros
some holiday staff luncheons
Cons
people were not very friendly and open
Save-On-Foods is a great company to work for!
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Newton, BC4 January 2018
I have worked at Save-On-Foods for almost four years. Starting at the company I worked as a cashier for months before I was cross trained into other departments. Overall the company is great with proper training, benefits, and flexible hours.
Benefits
Cons
Management constantly changing
Some people are horrible to work with.
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 January 2018
I only worked for Save On Food for one week. It was ok at the beginning, the department I worked at was easy and people there are nice too.
Schedule was a mess, I took a picture of it one week earlier and came back telling me no hours for me for the rest of couple weeks, disappointed.
What the most terrible part is that some people are racist, they like to pick on new people like me while I didn't even know about their names. It came out from no reasons.
Never ever recommend this company and I will never go back for grocery shopping.
Pros
Some people are nice(few)
Cons
Messy schedule and racist staff.
strong culture
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB28 December 2017
Very friendly, reliable and flexible to employees. Their work schedules are very open to cater to students, and fellow employees are friendly and helpful.
downhill
General Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC27 December 2017
Before Save on changed from Coopers it was a great job. alot of potential since the changeover the management changed and just became a job thats was dreadful. No compassion, integrity. Management think hey are better than everyone else
Beautiful new store
Retail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Parksville, BC22 December 2017
The Parksville store is thriving with lots of long term team members. Like all busy grocery stores with over 150 people we have a lot of turnover with some of the newer staff. We’re hoping the new contract will address some of the issues such as start wage and maximization in all the departments which means people have to learn several departments, The benefits and pension are great. The flexibility is good as well if your going to school or want to work part time. Our management team is both men and women equally and highly approachable. We are also a union shop nobody is terminated unless it is harassment or theft, even the union won’t win an appeal like that!
Pros
Great benefits, free fruit, inclusive all abilities ages
Cons
Physical some repetition
Terrible place to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 December 2017
This place runs in a punishment processing. You are basically a slave and the union does nothing to help staff or even fight for them. The front end staff makes as much as the meat department staff and the cooks make the most. Stupid in all ways. If you can train with save on and move to another food service place.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
All is written above
productive and energetic work place.
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BC18 December 2017
My typical day at Save On Foods was repetitive. I learned the ropes of this amazing grocery store and it felt awesome!
Management was the least helpful which is unfortunate but I loved what I did there.
Although you don't have a say in what department you work I was trained very well in the best departments!
Pros
they always gave usexpired food!
Cons
they dont care to listen.
Gratifying workplace.
Produce clerk (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB17 December 2017
Daily job duties consist of filling the holes in produce with fresh produce . Doing cleaning , organizing and displaying goods in displays that appeal to our customers.Receiving of freight and putting said freight away in our cooler. The hardest part of the job would be the lack of hours. The most enjoyable part is interacting with the customers. Helping people with their produce needs and helping them to find basic things in the store they are looking for.
Pros
Working with some good people.
Cons
Not enough hours.
good place to work
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC17 December 2017
Save-on-Foods is an awesome place to work. The staff is friendly, there is always opportunity for advancement, and it has a good atmosphere. It was a good place to work
Decent Place to work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 December 2017
The staff was great to work with, it was a great experience learning different departments. In the Deli there is some hard work to be done around the ovens and closing the stations. In the Eccommerce department it was a very physical job walking up and down the aisles multiple times in a shift sometimes having to lift heavy items.

I learned where every item is in that store and when things were ordered it was a good experience and the staff was like family.
Pros
free lunches on wed.
Cons
union and wages
Always gave you extra hours when needed
Produce Department Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 December 2017
Was a good place to work in high school as far as money goes, every 500 hours you got a 20 cent raise and they paid weekly which I found convenient. I liked that I could work as many hours as I wanted. However, they broke labour laws, at 15 and in grade 10 my hours got out of hand not by my choice, I was working 40-45 hours a week with little breaks. Also I was getting harassed in my last few months there and informed my Manager and they never did anything.
Pros
Union ( if you were 18 you got benefits)
Cons
Poor managment
Great coworkers and customers, Poor management, hours, and feedback
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC8 December 2017
A Typical Day at Work:
- Very much dependant on the department
- Customer service was an integral part of all aspects of the job

What You Learned:
- Food handling skills
- Customer service skills

Management:
- Disorganized
- Friendly but abrasive
- Very little grasp of standard employee duties and how to prioritize around them

Workplace Culture:
- Friendly and accepting
- Always willing to help
- Displeased with management

The Hardest Part of the Job:
- No set work schedule, you are fit in whenever
- Working around Managements unrealistic ideas
- Very little feedback about work performance (good or bad)

The Most Enjoyable part of the Job:
- Friendships with coworkers
- Helping customers
Pros
Friendly coworkers, The satisfaction of helping customers, Extra more rewards points
Cons
Poorly organized management, No set schedule, Little feedback
Very good part-time job
Department Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB7 December 2017
A good job to learn the ins and outs of the retail world. Managers are willing to teach if you are willing to learn to advance withing the company. The work can get repetitive.
Pros
Free food and usually friendly staff
Cons
the pay and sometimes the cutomers are cranky
For beginners only
Customer Service Specialist, Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 December 2017
its good only for beginner and transitioners but not as a career oriented individual who seek to grow professionally. Management should improve on how their treat their employee specially the non-white or those belongs to minority
Pros
nothing
Cons
they don't give enough working hours
I had been a wonderful experience working with save on foods. The management and staff were very professional and provided excellent assistance to us.
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC1 December 2017
- Iwork with the graveyard team the operating action team in night shift.(Shipper/Receiver)
- Isincerely appreciate the assistance and help of my team with regards to respect, understanding and common sense of what to do good during at work .
-Hilarious management mission and vision with regards to their customers care expertise and also with the employees supporting scholarship program and work promotion
Pros
The feeling of happiness and eagerness to work.
Cons
No comment
Only good if you need a safe job.
Assitant Deli Manager (Former Employee) –  British Columbia1 December 2017
This is a great place for young people to get job experience or for anyone looking for an entry job. The Union structure unfortunately holds down the good workers and supports the bad. You can be the greatest worker in the world but all your pay can be based on is your hours work. Unfortunately incredibly poor employees can never be let go once they pass probation. Everyone has an avenue to move up if you want to but is the garbage pay worth the title and responsibility? The staff are not very professional at times and often reminds you of your gossipy stereotypical High School experience. You can request days off 3 weeks in advance and are very often approved. Managers are very good though. In any business you will have some who care about their staff or about business only, often found the managers struck a good balance of caring for employees and looking at the business perspective.
Pros
The people and the challeneges.
Cons
The people and the poor compensation.
Great place!
Deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB26 November 2017
Definitely a place you can climb a power ladder at. Staff is nice, good benefits. Lots of incentives to get staff excited about work. Never had an issue.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.