Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Good place for a firsst job.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC24 January 2018
Great place to start off as a job. Great training and learning experience. Good place to learn customer service and to get great working experience for the future.
Pros
Good expierence
Cons
no regular hours
Decent workplace
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 January 2018
Great place to work. Fun, relaxed environment, with friendly co-workers. Management could sometimes leave something to be desired, but that was the only rough spot. Break times were flexible, and pay was decent.
Fun Workplace, Hours not so great
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fernie, BC23 January 2018
Got along with everyone and enjoyed my job as a produce clerk. Hated how the hours worked. Ask for one day off and have to work 9 straight just to make up for the one day. Awful.
Meh
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC23 January 2018
I was hired near the start of the christmas rush, and everything was going great! I had a decent amount of hours, almost everyone there I liked to work with, but as soon as Christmas was over, myself and everyone else hired around the same time as me suddenly lost all of our hours, and when questioned on when they would be back, the answer I got was gonna be around the middle of February, and upon further questions, I was told to get a second job if I had to. Not very professional way to treat your employees, if you ask me.
Cashier
Cashier/General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC23 January 2018
I worked very long hours and the pay was not to good, I worked with good people that were very understanding and we had good team effort for the period I worked there.
Disfunctional
Cashier and Shipper/ Receiver (Current Employee) –  Nelson, BC23 January 2018
Worked here for years. Not what it seems. Just pawns to the management and what not. No appreciation for anything that is done. more like slave on foods
Pros
nothing
Cons
management
it was very productive and fun
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB21 January 2018
i did a lot of cleaning and did a lot of production, greeted customers, cut meat and had a wonderful environment, great customers, wonderful boss and co-workers.
Productive and good atmosphere to work.
General Clerk And Cashier. (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 January 2018
> Working with staff is good and they trained you in every department
is also great .
> Management and staff is also very good and friendly.
> The hardest part of job is to maintain your speed of work till the
end of the day .
Pros
celebrates mostly every festival.
Cons
Don't provide you shifts when there are more employees.
Customer Service Specialist-Meat department (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 January 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my job at save on as well as the people i worked with. it is a great environment and as long as your willing to put in the effort it fairly easy to move up within the company.
Lively
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC19 January 2018
This company is lively.
The workers are very personable.
The management is personable.
The upper management will do as much as they can to make things work for you.
Pros
Goofy coworkers
Cons
Stores closing
Great company to work for
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 January 2018
Good company to work as a student
Management is not so great. Wrong people get promoted. Store Manager takes advantage of being a mgr. Takes Christmas week off but doesn't allow anyone to take it. Take weekends off but gets upset when others do.
Some of the management is great thou as well.
Advancement opportunities are TONS...especially in Calgary, Manitoba, Saskatchewan & Yukon.
Pros
Advancement.
Terrible work environment
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC14 January 2018
Rating is for the specific store I work at, other stores may be better. Toxic work environment, abysmal management. I would recommend anyone stay away from this location at least.
Pros
Decent medical benefits
Cons
Useless union
Mediocre, morally grey, good for students
Online Shopper (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 January 2018
I am currently an E-Commerce employee at Save On. My job consisted of taking online orders, shopping for the customers, and taking the orders out to the parking lot or ensuring they were delivered. Independent job, but at our location it sometimes can be dull when there's not much to do, or crazy when there's too much to do and not enough staff members to do it.

I have honestly mixed feelings on this job, especially because the department is horrendously understaffed, which has meant that multiple times I've had to pull nightmare shifts because there simply weren't enough people to get the job done, and twice when I tried to call in sick the answer that I got was "You can't do that, there's nobody else here to do your job". Several times, when there were many orders and no other staff members, I worked through all of my breaks (even though that's illegal). I wasn't forced to, but if I took even one break than I would have fallen even more behind, and even when I didn't take any breaks I was there from 6 am to 4:30 PM, one day. When the supervisor finally got there at three, he asked me to stay and work even longer and I reluctantly agreed.

When I told my other supervisor about these insane shifts, she laughed and told me that another coworker had to do the same thing a few days prior. In other words, they're bending the rules at best and breaking the law at worst.

The coworkers in most of the store as amiable, there's a decent break room, but the employees don't receive any discounts. Instead, we get three times the Save On Foods points (useless to me, but apparently
  more... other staff members have gotten great benefits from it). The independence is good, you get to move around, but there's too much time to goof off. I learned basic retail and customer service skills while working there, but the amount of work that they expect out of us sometimes is absolutely unreasonable.

TLDR: Good job for students, the hours are terrible and sometimes the supervisors expect an unreasonable amount of work from us resulting in ten hour shifts. Minimum wage. Fast turnover rate. Freedom and low supervision. Very little training. Don't expect to work there for more than a few months. Easy to get hired, I was hired on the spot. Be aware of boring shifts and absolutely crazy shifts.
Pros
nice coworkers, low supervision
Cons
bad hours, long hours, boring shifts when slow, ridiculously hard shifts when busy, not flexible
Great entry level job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC12 January 2018
Typical retail experience. It was nice to work with other cashiers who made the day go by fast. Unfortunately as a student the rules changed with how many hours had to be worked and I no longer was able to stay. I had to be available during the week, and I had classes every day so I was forced to quit, but that was my own problem.
Pros
Great work environment and management.
Cons
Lots of standing, not good for someone with plantar fasciitis.
Boring
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 January 2018
Employers werent the friendliest and werent willing to make the environment more inviting, but fellow employees were awesome. Would typically work as cashier for 7 hours then grocery for 1. Bland regimented work but it was work.
Fun enviroment
PERSONAL SHOPPER (ECOMM) (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC11 January 2018
Fun environment to work in. You learn new and valuable skills in this job, Shifts range from 4-9 hours. Fun job to do, You learn a lot, Managers are nice and are easy to work with.
Pros
Fun enviroment
Cons
Not enough shifts given
Days off and hours
VQA Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC10 January 2018
Days off are rarely together and seniority does not offer benefits of preferred shifts.
Managers were open and interested in daily operational procedures and staff morale.
Easy, positive enviroment
Florist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2018
Typical day here was slow, yet enjoyable. I worked as a florist so i was in the back not so much the front of the store. Break time was always fun because staff would get to hang out. The staff room was a comfy pace where you could relax while enjoying some coffee or snacks provided my the co workers or boss.
good place to work, some good people
Barista (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT9 January 2018
job was good, poor communication, lack of good hours, school activities could not be worked around. would have liked to see more though and effort put into the support of the employee
Pros
good co workers
Cons
long hours, no breaks
"Slave on Foods"
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ladner, BC9 January 2018
Working conditions where horrible, standing for a couple hours on end in one spot sucks. Air conditioning was often broken. Managers at times where unreasonable and co-workers where snotty and boring. I expected way more than minimum wage for the ammount of work we where doing and some of my co-workers agreed. Lunch breaks postponed, at times, if someone more senior to you f'd up. Horrible establishment.
Pros
Decent hours
Cons
pay, co-workers, work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.