Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Its a productive fun place
Customer Service Associate & Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 March 2017
Its a terrific place to work although trying to survive on the salary alone is a tough job. My co workers are understandable and appreciative. Were able to joke around and get the work done. Show your effort and you'll most likely be recognized for it. Its a place I would pass down to a friend of mine just for a great working experience.
It's a fun environment to work in
Na (Former Employee) –  Tsawwassen, BC7 March 2017
It's a very fun environment to work in.
Friendly staff// team members
I didn't like the wage for the amount of work they make u do and the fairness of union old employees.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Very flexable with hours when working part time
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2017
Good place to work if you don't mind a little "office drama" here and there.

Wouldn't recommend for a full time job unless you're hoping for a management position at some point and if so its very political; kind of a who you know not what you know.

Hardest part of the job is that its very repetitive and obviously dealing with customers can be brutal.

Most enjoyable part of the job can be coworkers if you get along with them and even if you don't its still decent.
Accessibility and customer service experience.
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 March 2017
Fun place to work and accessible. I have learned more about customer service and work with efficiently from junior to senior team. The most enjoyable part of the job is talking to people from different culture.
Great environment but hectic schedule
Part-time Cashier - Summer Job (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC6 March 2017
I worked at the Save on in Sahali (Kamloops). The staff were great and friendly (most of them) and management was okay, but the schedule was the only thing I had an issue with. If you needed a day of you couldn't ask for it if it was within 3 weeks of the current date, and the schedule was CONSTANTLY changing; you had to check every time online before you went into work to see if you were still actually working.
Pros
Free food in the break room, 3 breaks/day (15, 30, 15)
Cons
bad schedule
good learning experience
Cashier and Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC2 March 2017
this is a good company to work for if it is your first job. you learn man skills to get you through life.

I don't believe the management staff was very well trained in dealing with the staff, but i liked working there very much
Cons
constant schedule changes with little to no notice
Good comapany. Nice people. Horrible scheduling. Needs improvement
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 March 2017
I enjoyed my job there but there were a lot of issues such as not being given a proper schedule but being called in to work every day. The management is nice and easy to talk to. An issue i had was that they never fired anyone. They would rather have bad employees instead of a bad reputation.
Fun work place
Deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB28 February 2017
Save on foods is a great place to work and provides you with lots of skills. It is a fun work environment and the management team does everything they can to help you do your job.
Happy workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC26 February 2017
Good place to work, you get rewarded for doing your job great, with chocolate bars and gift cards to save on foods. Friendly staff.
It is an extremely flexible job with no potential
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 February 2017
I find my job to be enjoyable when just following simple orders and performing the basic task. New workers are paid $11/hr.
I learned that workers with XX years of experience are paid 3 times amount of a new worker.
My store manager is completely clueless when it comes to managing people. He probably can manage the store but when it comes to connecting with the workers, he is on another planet. Not relatable and condescending.
Workplace culture: Terrible. People are overworked and tired. Everyone is always in a bad mood.
Pros
Simple job
Cons
Management is terrible
Was a good team environment, managers for the most part were pretty good and helpful with the staff and myself
Meat Clerk, Grocery Clerk, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC24 February 2017
All in all Save on Foods is a good company for people looking to get into the retail business and provide strong customer service on a regular basis, my experience with Save On Foods thus far has been good and the staff provide a team environment where we all work hard for each other as well as the store itself. Being a hands on person I enjoyed working in the meat department As you are always physically active and moving, and the fast pace of the job I enjoyed doing the most. Cashier is an ideal job for someone who is less Kean on the physical demands of the meat and Grocery departments and more so on the side of socially interacting with customers and providing quality customer service at the front end of the store. Management was overall pretty good at the store and make the store a likeavle work place.
Pros
Good working environment, Good hours, flexible with schedule
Cons
Have to be quick, Have to be strong socially in interacting with customers
Poor management, misleading interview, lies non flexible
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC23 February 2017
Interviewer lies about job details. Not flexible for student (need to be available ANY TIME not in school with official letter) graveyard required for everyone at some point (even when told otherwise in interview) management not willing to solve problems, half of them are not friendly,managers/supervisors. It's no wonder they have a high turnover rate. Also not environmentally friendly they have a compost but tons of food scrapes/expired food is just thrown in with plastic and non biodegradable stuff.
Pros
Two 15 minute breaks one 30
Cons
Bad management, liars, don't solve issues employees have
Loved working as a team
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB21 February 2017
Learned how to work alongside of a professional team. I learned the in's and out's of working in a grocery store/different types of foods. Learned how to work on overall professional status. I was able to take in the benefits of working my own hours.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Standing for 8 hours
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC20 February 2017
Save-On is great for anyone in school. Good at working around your schedule (sports, school, family trips etc). As a cashier the typical day is having lots of conversations with the customers. Sometimes the customers can be hard to deal with.
A day in the life on a customer service employee
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 February 2017
At my current job I arrive to work, clock in and start my day depending on which department I am in. If I am on the till I clean up my working area, help customers with their groceries, and direct other employees to which till they will be working at and what they will be doing. At the end of the night I count up the money and place it in a pouch, collect all the tills, lotto, and papers and take it upstairs to the safe. It's a very on the go job where you don't get much time to stand around. Heavy lifting required. I learned a lot while working at this job, including customer service skills, how to deal with many different types of customers, using my judgement, and working well with teammates. The hardest part of my job is the heavy lifting and the non-stop dealing with difficult customers. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with great employees and seeing every day friendly customers.
summary
Produce Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 February 2017
housing freezer stocking front facing prepping for floor placement fleshing produce keeping produce floor clean and greeting customers on there way in
Productive workplace, needed better management review process
Supervisor of Dairy department (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2017
Typical day was hard-working but not over the top difficulty. Fairly structured routines. Learned how to receive freight, how to deal with customers well. Managers were either great or terrible, no real in between, and the manager interview process needed to be reviewed as there were many incompetent managers. Hardest part of the job would be receiving freight with a limited amount of warehouse space. Most enjoyable part was the coworkers.
Pros
Fair break times, occasionally good managers
Hard working and fast paced environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC25 January 2017
If you enjoy working hard, this is a good job for you. The Salary leaves a little left to be desired, but there is room for advancement within the company.
Fun Place to work with good staff
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2017
Save on foods is a good place for people getting their first jobs. For the bakery, they expect a lot to be done from the workers alone just from the start. The hardest part of the job was closing because of having so much to do with very little time and being the only worker in bakery every night.
Pros
Was very close by. Easy to get to
Cons
Hours aren't flexible for people in school
Good workplace with good Managers and co-workers
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 January 2017
A typical day of work as a grocery clerk consisted of stocking and facing shelves, checking dates on stock, cleaning shelves and the floors and assisting costumers to the best of your ability. I learned how to read a planogoram, how to properly stock and face product and how to interact with costumers and deal with bad situations should they arise. The management staff was kind, caring and wanted to see the best that I could do. My co-workers were all kind, helpful and made the workdays more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was facing items as some items would often fall down while facing or items would be stocked in the wrong spot. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interactions with the customers and the pride in seeing the quality of my work when finished.
Pros
Friendly managers and co-workers, easy to understand tasks and good environment.
Cons
Short amount of work hours, odd communication on schedule changes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval