Save on Foods

Save on Foods Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Not a nice place to work
Cashier Part Time (Former Employee), Edmonton AlbertaMarch 18, 2015
Pros: Some really nice people worked there
Cons: No hours
I worked for Save On Foods at an Edmonton store, for over a year before being finally forced to quit. I was admitted that a couple of the supervisors didn't like me and so harassed me till I quit...though the store is Unionized, nothing was done about these two despite other complaints. Sad...
Long days, but I met a lot of people
Gas Bar Manager (Former Employee), Chilliwack, BCFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: busy all the time, so the days went fast
Cons: no breaks. sore feet and back.
Typical day was 7 and a half hours long, with no breaks. This was due to the fact that the morning shift was always worked alone. However, the time went fast, as I was always busy doing something. Customer service, cleaning, stocking, paperwork. The list was endless. I liked this job very much, and wish it didn't have to end. The Overwaitea Food Group got out of the gas business, and sold all of it's gas bars in 2012.
Slave on by working at Save on
Grocery department specialist (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: benefits are decent
Cons: terrible environment
Terrible management, too much favoritism, terrible scheduling. Fastest shrink item is employee morale. Only work here if you can't go anywhere else. Could be store I am at, but the managers are awful and do not recognize their employees no matter how hard they slave. Pay is low and raises are very small. Only if you are a favorite will you advance.
Fast-paced, challenging, engaging
General clerk (Former Employee), Surrey, BCFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: awesome people. time and a half on stats which are plenty through the year
Cons: low chance of getting bast benefits now with the direction of the company
I spent ten years as part of the Overweitea Food Group at Save On Foods in Fleetwood. I received awesome training working with a great group of people and was placed in head production role because of my ability for production and efficiency on the Job as well as time-management. I had amazing benefits (including ATO's=paid days off bi-weekly, 90% dental and sick bank), fun work environment ideal for coaching, mentoring and challenging people to think on their feet as well as learning various aspects of management through experience and seeking growth.
Not a good place to work
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 6, 2015
Would not recommend this for anyone. The management staff there were not friendly and not helpful in the least. Would never go back to work there.
Internship at Save on Foods- Free Food For All!!
Assistant Pharmacist (Former Employee), Ladner , BCJanuary 5, 2015
I worked as a Pharmacy Assistant at this location. It was a 3 month volunteer experience. Working at the pharmacy at Save on Foods was great. I had a great staff, all of them were different in their own ways and I got to learn so much from each of them. I learnt how difficult it can be to work under pressure and especially when you are under staffed and there are patients and customers wanting service. The most enjoyable part of the day was to be able to smell freshly baked bread throughout my shift and then to be able to go to the lunch room and have a table full of free food and a coffee vending machine for the extra espresso for the not so sunny days. No, in reality I enjoyed learning about different medications and how to tackle difficult situations in the pharmacy forefront and how to correctly speak to health care professionals.
first time job
Cashier (part-time) (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 30, 2014
Pros: part time
Cons: part time
help customers, first part time job. Everyday was different
A very entertaining place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Prince George, BCDecember 30, 2014
Pros: your fellow team members always had your back
Cons: did not fuction well with school
The typical day would be go to work, make sure your uniform is clean. Immediately, you would be taking costumer's orders, and working at a fast pace level. Costumers were quit rude, and sometimes violent. Having people skills is definitely a requirement for this job. However, there was a few bonuses i got from the workplace. I now have better communication skills, as well as more work experience for the future.
Fast paced engaging safety focused
Assistant Deli Manager (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 10, 2014
Pros: busy, coworkers, consistent
Cons: little to no discipline for management
Always busy (made day go by fast)
Always got enough or more hours
Terrible resolution for dealing with corrupt management
Great coworkers
Safety information consistently provided and easily found
Average wages but consistent with raises
Easy work.. it was a deli
Deli Server (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCDecember 4, 2014
it was such a long time ago i honestly don't remember.
i cut meat for people.
and sliced cheese.
and made chicken pot pie.
and swept...alot.
fast past environment. good company to work for
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 29, 2014
Pros: they care and have staff appreciation events
Cons: long days and very busy ones.
Busy store, always on and anticipating customer needs, alot of standing, moving and lifting, Management is great and always helps when we are hit by a surge in customers at tills, Coworkers are great . Hardest part of the job is physical. Alot of lifting, Most enjoyable is the personal interaction with people during the day.
active job
Cashier (Former Employee), StadiumOctober 28, 2014
it was good working at Save On Foods. just couldn't travel the distance at night by myself.
I dont get much hours which I'm disappointed :(
Retail Assistant (Current Employee), Southeast CalgaryOctober 28, 2014
Pros: free meals available
Cons: i havent got long hours. i used to work around 14 hrs weekly.
Its good. But some co-workers don't like newcomers. Our department Manager is very kind & he is a great human being.
Good workplace for Students
Store Clerk (Former Employee), Cloverdale, BCAugust 17, 2014
Very fast-paced environment with many learning opportunities
Great place to work, lots of room to move up
Assistant bakery Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 15, 2014
I like working with the company, great people, great benefits.
Slow and boring
Cashier (Current Employee), AlbertaJuly 14, 2014
Pros: either 20% off or 20x the points on your groceries depending on the month
Cons: slow, boring, not flexible, bad pay
As a student, I usually worked evenings. This was usually about 5-10. However, after abut 7pm the customers start dwindling off and you are left standing at your till for the next 3 hours with nothing to do. Even reading the magazines by the tills was frowned upon.

Also, having two jobs I needed a flexible schedule from Save On Foods, which I did not receive. They book your schedule 3 weeks in advance which was barely enough time to book off doctor appointments, dentist appointments, etc.

Not worth it. I started working there, excited to be starting something new, and left feeling as though I wasted 6 months.

Also, the pay sucks. I got minimum wage, but they took about 5 dollars off every pay check (weekly, and I was only making 50-70 on each pay check) so I wasn't really getting even minimum wage.
great place
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Surrey, BCJuly 2, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: long hours
loved working with everyone
great management
meet new people
great friends made
medical and dental
my job duties
Baker (Former Employee), Edmonton,ABJuly 1, 2014
Baked product and once it was cooled packaged it, dated it and put it on the floor. I also sliced bread and put it on the floor.

i learned how to label food products and how much work goes into preparing thus food
Fun place to work at.
Part Time Employee (Former Employee), DeliJune 6, 2014
Learned a lot of new things and skills.
people were very nice and helpful.
Good part-time job
Cashier (Current Employee), Langley BCMay 10, 2014
Pros: 3 breaks
The scheduling is VERY inconsistent. The management is not the greatest. Co-workers are nice.

1 2 3 4