Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Seniors are top priority
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC26 April 2017
Younger and less experienced staff seem to often have their schedules change the day before or even the day of just to please the upper staff. Was a pleasant job otherwise.
Pros
Kind staff
Cons
Awkward hours
poor managment
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 April 2017
not enough staff to get the job done, favoritism is ramped among managers. not enough training for all staff including managers for them to perform at their best.
Pros
free snacks in break room
Cons
hard to move up if your not in with the right people
Productive workplace with different positions for advancement
General Clerk, Meat Department & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC19 April 2017
Easy to move between departments creating the ability to have a more diverse work experience each day. Learned different skills: money management, customer service etc..
Pros
free bakery treats
Cons
bad scheduling
Productive constantly busy
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC12 April 2017
It is always enjoyable greeting n helping customers as much I can. Helping them through the line ups quickly as I can is a must.. just know the feeling of standing in a line up. Love the experiences good or bad with the customers always a learning tool every day. I am getting close to so many of my customers to which they look for me specifically now to help them they tell me about their every day and I enjoy I am a part of their lives. :)
Pros
free fruit in the lunch room loving that
Cons
long hours standing
friendly co-workers and management
General Clerk meat dpt. (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC11 April 2017
working at save on was a great experience i made long lasting friends and had regular costumer to would come sometimes just to talk especially elder costumers.
i liked helping around so if i had everything done in my dpt i would go to other dpts and see if they needed help or just started to help if i seen it getting busy. i enjoyed the most the costumers and building that relationship with them.
i wanted to move up in the company but i overworked myself and got tendinitis on my shoulder which prevented me from doing the jobs that i usually liked the best that were fast paced and usually lifting the heavy things that other employees didn't always want to do. but in all that i learned quite a bit there was still more that i would've liked to learn.
Pros
room fr advancement
Cons
schedule wasnt always the greatest
Worst Place to Work
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 April 2017
Worst Company Ever
Worst Pay,Worst Scheduling of shifts and Worst Managers
Managers dont listen to employees and give them work schedule against their availabilty.
It could be better.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC2 April 2017
Younger co-workers were amazing. Management needs to learn how to respect employees because they only care about the bottom line. I would not work there ever again. If you can, avoid any job at any Slave-On Foods. Also, benefits were a joke, no store discount.
Productive and clean, but needs to be clearer.
Restaurant Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 April 2017
A good, clean workplace for the most part. Managers and supervisors are nice and knowledgeable. Training doesn't cover a lot of what you have to know, and so you have to constantly ask questions.
Typically in the restaurant we're constantly cooking wings. It gets faster and easier the farther you get into the job. You have to constantly be doing things, which is expected, but a lot of the time they understaff and you cannot take your required breaks.
Management means well. They're good people.
The coworkers are the best part, they're extremely hard working people.
The hardest part of the job would be the fact that people, including customers, do not bother to read anything.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to make foods.
Pros
Clean, nice coworkers, decently frequent demos
Cons
Frequently understaffed, long hours, no chances to take breaks
management
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Mission, BC29 March 2017
my store was red flagged under our unions contract. We had manager's come in and downsize our store, with that It also meant we lost some of our guest.
Company was not nice to me
Night Crew (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 March 2017
I only received one day off at a time for eight months no one noticed or cared. I was scolded everyday for not going fast enough even though they would over order and I would be dripping in sweat working my butt off. After receiving the nightshift bonus for a total of one quarter they took it away saying it might come back to get us to work harder when in reality they had no intentions of brining it back. During this period the only days they would give me off were Tuesday and Thursday.
Pros
free apples
Cons
they dont care about you're life or youre scheduel

Want to know more about Save on Foods?

Ask a question
Good Company, Poorly Managed
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  BC27 March 2017
The company overall is good, the pay is decent and the benefits are good as well, however the way the company has started making some of its operational choices have caused the work enviroment to become stressful. Hour cuts have caused employees to feel rushed and overworked, and product quality is being effected as well as proper cleaning not being completed. Shifts are changed weekly and this makes managing life outside work difficult.
Pros
Good pay with steady raises, full medical coverage as well as other benefits, such as extended medical.
Cons
overworked, major hour cuts, understaffed, poor team morale, inconsistent scheduling
save on foods
part-time sales associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 March 2017
Awful management. Hours are constantly cut down to half or more for all workers.Very unsafe workplace, manager taking advantage for workers, just a poor place to work.
Pros
people
Cons
not provide with enough hours
Deli girl, hot and cold, slicing, cleaning and customer service.
Deli worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 March 2017
Ran hot and cold side of the deli, cleaning and operating slicing equipment. Taking orders and good customer service was a must,
Stocking and refilling all items. Logging your products and wastes.
Good place to work and friendly coworkers
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Alberni, BC16 March 2017
Got along with all co worker's and had a good time working in produce and helping customer's. Over all friendly work environment with good work hours.
Good First Time Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 March 2017
I enjoyed my time at Save on Foods. This employment allowed for me to grow my skills as an employee, and rewards hard work with ample opportunity to move up the ladder.
Save on Foods
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, B.C14 March 2017
A typical day at work requires just baking and making cakes. I work in the bakery, but there is a lot of heavy lifting which I consider the hardest part of my job. Our management is consistently changing so there are new rules and regulations every time a new manager comes in. I learned that its hard to adjust to a different work condition depending on new management, but I am always willing to learn. I enjoy working with all my employees, there are many students that work part time like me. Since were all so close in age, it makes the work place more enjoyable.
Pros
monthly lunch provided by our manager.
Cons
Busy on weekends which gets tiring.
This company is well managed and treats their employees with respect and thoughtfulness
Floral, Produce, and Cut Fruit Worker (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB14 March 2017
This company is pleasant to work for. They treat team members with respect, and are organized, train employees well, consider requests made for time off for doctor visits/holidays. They do not overload employees with work that cannot reasonably be accomplished during their time shift. They are prompt in keeping online information of team members working hours posted. they give raises every 500 hours. After training, they give employees respect to carry out their jobs without daily continued harassment, that has occurred in other jobs I have worked at.
terrible stay away!!
Dairy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 March 2017
a bunch of lairs stay away from this company they promise shifts but dont schedule you bringing you round and round in circle not giving any answers on why you haven't been getting shifts
Great place for learning skills and starting out
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC11 March 2017
Was my first official paying job, thus I learned a lot about customer service, staying active and positive, learning how to manage cash, customers and phone calls.
Training went well and was thorough, lots of help was provided when needed.
Was busy as a cashier and learned to be conditioned to a constant stream of work.
Gained insight through conversations with customers as well as the great management team who were very caring.
Overall great place to work, clean and tidy
Pros
Many positions to choose from
Cons
May be victimised to scams by customers (Happened to me)
A welcoming team focused environment
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lake Country, BC9 March 2017
An excellent place to work long term, with room for steady advancement. My favourite part of the job was helping regular customers and fellow members of my community.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.