Save on Foods

Save on Foods Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Was a very fun workplace and all was great
Produce clerk/ Fresh Cut Department (Former Employee), Cochrane, ABJuly 13, 2015
Pros: Always had some kind of theme at the store!
Cons: Working weekends when short staffed!
My review on this job was I enjoyed getting up and travelling to my job everyday, I was happy and learned so many other skills, I enjoyed having a great boss at my job and other employees treated me with respect as I would to them. We all got along and had fun working together. The hardest part of my job was probably doing the order and knowing what product was needed for that week, or until next order day. The most enjoyable part of my job was having a great day with all the other employees I worked with. It was never a dull moment, and loved helping the customers in the best way I could.
Unbelievable management!
Bakery Department Employee (Former Employee), Fort St. JohnJuly 11, 2015
Pros: Great discounts on store merchandise.
Cons: Long hours, unfair hours, never feel as if opinion is voiced, etc.
To me, management is the key to a successful work force. In order for the employee to continue to do labor for corporation or organization, they desire to have their demands met. Sadly up in Fort St. Johns, B.C. Canada there's no such thing. Many of my peers and I quit due to unfair management, one throwing me back on probation for not making it to work the day I fell down the stairs with a DOCTORS EXCUSE! Was simply given a strike, told if it happens again "people like me" tend to not last for long. I complained to the Union however I haven't heard much back so far. If you can, AVOID this branch for employment!
Produce (Former Employee), edmonton, albertaJuly 11, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: Lots of lifting
A typical day of work consisted of lifting boxes of fruits and vegetables and going out and restocking the fruit shelves. My co-workers were all very friendly and i felt comfortable in the workplace after a while. The hardest part of the job was lifting boxes all day.
Good place to work for high school students looking for a flexible schedule
Cashier (Former Employee), Surrey, BCJune 24, 2015
Pros: Good Staff Room
Cons: Boring
I started working here whilst I was in high school and they were really good about scheduling. If you were a new worker they'd call you in a lot. I received a call and when I hesitated in accepting the shift I was basically told I had to come in because "that's why we hired you," so if you don't want to work that day, don't pick up the phone!
Productive and fun
Service Clerk (Former Employee), St. Albert, ABJune 14, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers. Everyone has a story and it is interesting to learn about other people. The staff were good to work with overall.

It is hard to advance in the company. It is great for part time and therefore offers a great balance for students.
Fun and hard work. Very fulfilling.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Prince George, BCJune 13, 2015
Face to face customer service. I loved everything this job offered. To work fast and accurate was a must. Responsibility to show up for different shifts, (that could change within hours of checking online), and getting along with co-workers.
stupid place to work for
Clerk (Current Employee), Victoria, BCMay 26, 2015
if your biggest want in this world is to be bossed around and punished for things you never did, or be punished if your child gets sick even if you have saved up worked days and vaca days then this is the place for you, where you wont ever have a schedule it changes daily so you cant have another life or job cause they dont pay well either they would rather you quit then pay you your raise
A grocery company that operates in western canada
General Clerk (Former Employee), KelownaMay 16, 2015
The job required customer service and stocking shelves. Keeping the working area clean was also necessary. The job is part of the ufcw union.
Great co-workers and a great atmosphere.
Meat Department specialist (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABMay 11, 2015
Pros: Great attitude.
Cons: Not a lot of compassion.
There was always fresh fruit in the staff room accompanied by a friendly employee willing to chat your break away. Fellow employees always had a smile on their face and a skip in their step.
The management was rather poor
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaMay 9, 2015
Pros: Simple work
Cons: Poor management of employees
I did not really enjoy working at save on foods near the end of my employment because my department became disorganized and the treatment of employees declined. I have been injured a few times while on shift, and despite me reporting these issues it was completely ignored. The reason for this was because I was not injured enough to be sent home from work. The union (CLAC) was very weak and did not support people who were only working part-time. Save on Foods took advantage of this and only hired people for 34 hours a week so that they would still be registered as part-time but with no benefits. – more... I was being paid less than minimum wage at Save on Foods because I had to account for a union fee. On paper it says I am being paid 11$/ hour, but the reality was that I was being paid 10$/ hour because for every hour I worked I had to pay 1$ to the union. At the time, the minimum wage in Alberta was 10.35$/hour.

I did enjoy working with my co-workers there, but even those who stayed and worked for the company for 4 years were still being yelled at by supervisors. The most common reason was that they were being too slow, however, most of these supervisors ignored other variables that made workers slower at doing their work such as having a shelve fall apart while they are stalking up goods. – less
Productive workplace
Cashier, Deli, Bakery, Meat and Seafood, Grocery (Former Employee), Maple Ridge, BCMay 8, 2015
Working at save on foods provided me with knowledge of how to work in multiple departments as they cross trained me. Management was easy to bring issues to.
Save On Foods creates a positive work environment.
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 1, 2015
Pros: Benifits, free meal monthly
Cons: I was not able to dress up.
I enjoyed working at Save On Foods. Save On Foods has good employee incentives which helps keeps a positive work place. Schedules were posted in advance so it was easy to have a good work and home balance.
Always treated like a great team player
Cashier (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABApril 30, 2015
Each day we always had regular customers who made who that much more great. My co-workers were awesome! Such outgoing and kind hearted people and it was a very sad day when I was no longer working for them anymore due to leaving for maternity leave. I would recommend this store for anyone to work for!
Save On Foods
Coffee Bar Barista (Former Employee), calgary, ABApril 18, 2015
Pros: Free breaks
Cons: overtime
On a typical day at work I would do the following:
-Serve coffee to customers
-Work on till
-Clean your surroundings
-Assist customers with their groceries
-Help the kitchen when it got too busy (make food, clean etc.)
a
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 15, 2015
Pros: Paid Weekly + extra $1 per hour on Sunday's.
Cons: Can't really think of anything.
I learned how to work under pressure, and time myself accordingly! I was able to provide a fast, friendly and fun checkout experience.
Clerk
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee), New Westminster, BCApril 12, 2015
its a decent job. typical day at work same thing over and over gets boring. i like a challenge at times. Co workers are very good people
Good People and Environment
Front End Specialist (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 5, 2015
Pros: Free food
Cons: Repetitive
I had a good amount of training when I started which was helpful. I learned a variety of codes and how to operate the cash register. The management was okay. I would have enjoyed interacting more with the manager of my department as well as getting offered opportunities for advancement based on my career aspirations. A lot of the people I worked with were nice and helpful. The hardest part of my job was the lack of flexibility when it came to sick days and the most enjoyable part were the regular customers who came in and the overall enjoyable attitude of the people who I worked with.
no review
Cashier (Former Employee), Victoria, BCApril 2, 2015
Pros: meeting. new people
Cons: working conditions
The company was union was great for older staff. Newer staff worked 40 hrs a week but were considered part time and so no big wages or health caree.
The variety of work creates a forever changing and fresh feeling environment.
General Clerk & Meat Cutter (Current Employee), Maple Ridge, BCApril 1, 2015
Pros: Varied team membership bonuses, outside of business operations
Cons: No static discount
A typical day at this job requires me to be attentive to all aspects of the store. Each grocery clerk must respond to cashier duties, in assisting a full service and helping regulate the flow of customers, by bagging or opening another register. Customer service, from communication and cleanliness to organization and conflict resolution, are daily skills that are needed to run the business efficiently. I've learned there are many great people to be met in the world and to give the best service possible always. It creates a positive and progressive environment that all should aim to achieve. The management team does a good job at keeping the customers and employees content with their experiences in the store.

The largest obstacle to overcome while working has to be knowing where all the variety of products are located across the store, which comes with time. The best part of working at this job is knowing there is room for expansion in particular skills and knowledge courses.
save on foods
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 31, 2015
Was a great company to work for.Very helpful great people to work for, didn't like we didn't get any discounts, liked everything was online etch

1 2 3 4 5