Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Stressful with bad managment
Cook (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB22 February 2017
The people who run Save On Foods (not the managers of the Airdrie branch) have next to no regard for their staff. They over charge (meaning they mark up the price for no reason) on almost every single item in store. The department managers are good managers but now we're lucky if we have two people on the floor at a time. You want to get over worked for next to no pay off? Join the Save On Foods team.
Pros
They tell you they are going to move you up.
Cons
They do not move you up, treat you terribly on your worst days.
Loved working as a team
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB21 February 2017
Learned how to work alongside of a professional team. I learned the in's and out's of working in a grocery store/different types of foods. Learned how to work on overall professional status. I was able to take in the benefits of working my own hours.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Standing for 8 hours
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC20 February 2017
Save-On is great for anyone in school. Good at working around your schedule (sports, school, family trips etc). As a cashier the typical day is having lots of conversations with the customers. Sometimes the customers can be hard to deal with.
A day in the life on a customer service employee
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 February 2017
At my current job I arrive to work, clock in and start my day depending on which department I am in. If I am on the till I clean up my working area, help customers with their groceries, and direct other employees to which till they will be working at and what they will be doing. At the end of the night I count up the money and place it in a pouch, collect all the tills, lotto, and papers and take it upstairs to the safe. It's a very on the go job where you don't get much time to stand around. Heavy lifting required. I learned a lot while working at this job, including customer service skills, how to deal with many different types of customers, using my judgement, and working well with teammates. The hardest part of my job is the heavy lifting and the non-stop dealing with difficult customers. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with great employees and seeing every day friendly customers.
summary
Produce Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 February 2017
housing freezer stocking front facing prepping for floor placement fleshing produce keeping produce floor clean and greeting customers on there way in
Productive workplace, needed better management review process
Supervisor of Dairy department (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2017
Typical day was hard-working but not over the top difficulty. Fairly structured routines. Learned how to receive freight, how to deal with customers well. Managers were either great or terrible, no real in between, and the manager interview process needed to be reviewed as there were many incompetent managers. Hardest part of the job would be receiving freight with a limited amount of warehouse space. Most enjoyable part was the coworkers.
Pros
Fair break times, occasionally good managers
Hard working and fast paced environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC25 January 2017
If you enjoy working hard, this is a good job for you. The Salary leaves a little left to be desired, but there is room for advancement within the company.
Fun Place to work with good staff
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2017
Save on foods is a good place for people getting their first jobs. For the bakery, they expect a lot to be done from the workers alone just from the start. The hardest part of the job was closing because of having so much to do with very little time and being the only worker in bakery every night.
Pros
Was very close by. Easy to get to
Cons
Hours aren't flexible for people in school
Good workplace with good Managers and co-workers
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 January 2017
A typical day of work as a grocery clerk consisted of stocking and facing shelves, checking dates on stock, cleaning shelves and the floors and assisting costumers to the best of your ability. I learned how to read a planogoram, how to properly stock and face product and how to interact with costumers and deal with bad situations should they arise. The management staff was kind, caring and wanted to see the best that I could do. My co-workers were all kind, helpful and made the workdays more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was facing items as some items would often fall down while facing or items would be stocked in the wrong spot. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interactions with the customers and the pride in seeing the quality of my work when finished.
Pros
Friendly managers and co-workers, easy to understand tasks and good environment.
Cons
Short amount of work hours, odd communication on schedule changes.
Well oginized
Cashier /Deli (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC16 January 2017
One of the best place I've worked fun. Energy of all employees were vibrant in a joyful to be apart of. All are very welcoming in well of doing a good job.
Coworkers are great! Appreciate my supervisor
Full Time Pharmacy Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2017
A good place to work. Has weaknesses like any other organization, but overall I enjoy where I work. Save On tends to attract a favorable demographic (ie) as opposed to organizations that focus ONLY on price point of the products they sell. Large organization, but privately owned, so feels a little more like a family run operation.
Pros
Small perks like providing employees with fruit in the staff room are nice
Cons
Lower end for compensation, somewhat limited opportunity to move up in rank within the organization
easy and enjoyable work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB9 January 2017
management is always easy to work with as they are here to help everyone. i love working at save on because it is a good starting job for someone who has no experience.
Fun place
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC9 January 2017
Work/life balance is really hard as its a union, hours are based on seniority. Also pay could be a little bit better specially when you work multiple departments.
Pros
great environment
Cons
low pay, long hours, have to work multiple departments
Fun And Productive
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2017
It is a fun place to work at and one can learn about all different departments.
The only drawback is that they are not providing the hours of works that they promised.
n/a
Cashier/ Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 January 2017
Worked sometimes 12-18 hrs.. Learned all that I needed to know in constructing roads. Management was terrible, most sites were poorly supervised. The hardest part of the job was long days and no real days off. The most enjoyable was working outdoors and seeing different towns in Alberta.
Personal Shopper
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Grandview, BC3 January 2017
3 day weeks quickly become 5 day random scheduled days. Bad training. Worse pay. Full time means you work 40 hours a week but are designated part time, so good luck with promised benefits. So many people hired, even more quit. Everyone at the store, even the union members, wished they could be anywhere else but there. Management had no power to reward hard workers.
Cons
Random hours, no advancement, crumby pay
Its okay. A good place to begin your work experience.
Department Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB3 January 2017
Its okay.
A good place to begin your work experience.
I love the place. Its a great place to work for everyone. There is no barrier to growth. You progress as you grow in the company.
Pros
Free lunch, Great team members and management
Cons
NA
Great first job and place to meet and make friends with common goals
Bakery Clerk/ General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC30 December 2016
I worked at Save On Foods #968 (Hart location) from July 2013 to December 24 2016. I was trained as a bakery clerk, working mostly 1:30 to 10 closing-shifts. I loved the bakery staff and have made many longlasting friendships while employed there. It was a wonderful first job, but I am a student and found requesting anytime off was difficult as upper-management did not think of post-secondary as important nor having a life outside of work. The hardest part of the job was not being taken seriously as a young adult. The most enjoyable part of the job was the actual work I did. A typical closing shift included: slicing bread, labelling and shelving the bread, traying and glazing pies, traying cookies, traying all products for the following day, making garlic bread, packaging leftover items from the "showcase bins" and extensive cleaning of the department. One typically works alone from 5 pm to 10 pm during a Bakery closing shift. Throughout my time at Save-On I was also trained as a cashier, grocery clerk and general clerk.
Pros
opportunities to advance, great "team" atmosphere
Cons
unsympathetic management
Good Entry Level Position
Cashier / General Clerk (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC18 December 2016
Typical entry level job with very basic benefits. Good for starters, or those wishing to pursue a part time job, in addition to something else. Good environment overall.
Demo work
Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Powell River, BC14 December 2016
Friendly customers , nice coworkers , bad , bad , BAD , management !!! There seems to be a lot favoritism and a little power seems to go to management's head !
Pros
Friendly customers
Cons
Poor management