Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Unproductive, No team effort, and they do not train anyone properly!
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC16 September 2017
I always walked in to a mess and a bunch of things not even on my tasks to do, every department was very disorganized, also the managers are are okay except for a couple. The only enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with the community especially during the fire season we had! But the hardest part of the job was the constant mess and dysfunction between staff!
Pros
1-unpaid break, and snacks upstairs.
Cons
unfair wages for what the people have to put up with!
A great place to work , very busy all the time.
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Canmore, AB15 September 2017
Enjoyed my job very much . Moved or would still be there. Enjoyed working with the public. I trained new staff members in cash and customer service. Also did scheduling and projections for following weeks .
Fun place great people
Restaurant Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC14 September 2017
Fun place with great people everyone is super nice and friendly. sometimes employees mess up leaving you to fix the problem. managers didn't order products leaving shelf and display cases empty. For new employees, bad hours, start late with a 4 hour shift or no shifts at all, basically on call the first few months.
Pros
sometimes free lunch parties
Cons
sometimes rude customers or other employee mess ups
Fun place to work.
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC13 September 2017
This is a great place to work with regard to people you work with. It can be a very fun environment. There are opportunities to learn new skills if you show initiative. The hours of work are not bad.
Great staff
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB7 September 2017
Love my co-workers, the management is great. Advancement is possible but can be challenging to achieve. The wage is alright but will never really change, you have to put in to many hours for the littlest raise.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Little raise
Fun to work but sometimes not worth it
Clerk and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC6 September 2017
I had some fun working with coworkers my age. Nice benefits and good for full time students as a part time job. However, having this as a full time job can be very exhausting and not worth it.
Job held over your head, management unfair, fake opportunities to advance
Employee (Former Employee) –  Alberta5 September 2017
While working here I learned many important skills, I gained a fair amount of experience, and made some great friends. Overall the employees are optimistic and kind at work, and very helpful.

Management, however, has some issues it needs to work out. Have heard from multiple sources from many different stores that jobs are often "held over" an employee's head, and that opportunities to advance are often given and taken away at will. Managers are also not held to the same professional standard, it seems, that employees are when behind the scenes. Union rules and guidelines are often disregarded; have known (again) multiple people from many locations who have been told, essentially, "come to work today or your career is on the line" , repeated many, many times to the point where certain people have worked upwards of 10-30 days in a row (not always paid to either).

Never had an issue with salary, my coworkers were always great, and the store was always presented great. It was really just the issues with the managers and the little, horrible things that they would get away with that made me quit.
Pros
Great team members, fun atmosphere
Cons
Management, unfair treatment, no way to advance unless you're friends with the managers
co workers were great and store managers were great
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, AB3 September 2017
I didn't really have a problem with this employer but i didn't like how the bakery managers treated people. Overall it was not a bad store and the selection and quality of products was very good.
Pros
friendly
Cons
not enough hours
company needs some work
manager (Former Employee) –  regina1 September 2017
solid core of leadership in the company but very weak training programs in place, especially for lower management. Too much pressure is put on dept managers as opposed to supervisor, asm and sm.
Relatively easy job, decent pay, easy to work with co workers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB31 August 2017
Easy to pick up on the job at hand. Management and co workers are great to get along with. Customers are relatively friendly. Overall great job if you're in school.
Pros
flexible hours, good managment
Cons
pay
Fun place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB29 August 2017
Great management, customers are pleasant, most enjoyable part of the job is all of the people i work with. hardest part of the job is the decreasing number of hours.
Great experience
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC24 August 2017
My first job, enjoyed working with my team mates. Great company with decent benefits (other than waiting period being one year). Good training program
Great Place to start your working experience
Receiver/Junior Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC21 August 2017
Great place to have your first job and build skills that you can take away with you into all future job prospects. Need to be a hard worker and self starter
was not impressed with how some staff were treated
Multi department specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 August 2017
i enjoyed working for save on foods but I would like to share concern about the treatment of some employees. they get taken advantage of by the company bending our rights to the max for their benifit.
Great work environment with friendly co workers.
Grocery Clerk/Department Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 August 2017
A great working environment, Friendly and helpful co workers and management. Not to much for advancements and raises, only 5 cent raise every 500 hours worked.
Pros
Get free food sometimes
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Productive Fun
Cashier/Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC16 August 2017
Dealing with many customers and I have come to realize that you cannot please all the people all the time. I say just do your best and keep smiling. Also have learnt not to take things personally when it comes to a cranky customer because that person could be going through more then you know in life. You just have to keep focused and do your job to the best of your abilities and keep smiling!!
Pros
Good opportunities for advancement
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Great benefits and experience, little time for outside of work schedule
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC12 August 2017
Forced to work a minimum of 20 hours a week while trying to balance full time school. I had to work 4 hours a day after school and try to fit in 4 hours of homework and a sleep schedule on top of it. Not very understand of my situation.
Pros
Great coworkers and supervisors
Cons
No social/school life
Great First Job
Employee (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB9 August 2017
This was a great first job for me, worked many times a week and enjoyed every shift I worked. Fast pace and fun environment, also the team members in my department were very welcoming. I learned alot.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Fun, Welcoming Employees
Cons
Warehouse Receiver/ Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 August 2017
Good place to work, good people and work culture, fast paced abd customer orientated. safety first mentality, with weekly safety meetings and briefings, pay in not the greatest for full time workers but good for students or teenagers looking for a job.
Pros
Good management, flexibility, team lunches
Cons
Minimum wage to start, not ft hours
Severe management issues
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 August 2017
Manager fired 7 different employees on the last day of their 90 day probation and never had an assistant manager the entire time i worked there. Everything in the produce department was a disaster.
Pros
Sometimes you would get your legally allotted break times
Cons
The entire produce department

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.