Save on Foods Employee Reviews

An Overall Steady Job
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB4 August 2016
Serves good for a first job and I've learnt to work efficiently and co-operatively, to manage my time well within my shift to complete tasks, and to be responsible for my own safety. Most days are quite standard and predictable as you would expect from a grocery store. There is a heavy load of packaging to be done most days but is still manageable along with other tasks. My co-workers most of the time are helpful and positive individuals who work hard and are considerate of others. The hardest parts of the job are managing time and product during sales or large orders as it can create a stressful and fast paced work day. The most enjoyable aspects of working for Save On Foods is the organization of the company/store in terms of payment of employees and scheduling as they do provide an online schedule. The biggest issue i have with working at Save On Foods is the payment/pay scale. Opportunity to move up and/or receive a pay increase are difficult and when a raise is earned its quite minuscule.
Pros
payment always on time, organized, online schedules, free food
Cons
poor pay/raises, monotonous work
Grocery Manager
Grocery Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 September 2016

Grocery Manager is in charge of hiring and training his staff, scheduling, Meet and projecting financial budgets. Proper merchandising, Stays in touch with Community Support, Making sure Store operations are met everyday
Sometimes going to a new store can be challenging every store does somethings a little bit different also adapting to other Manager types.

I enjoy everything about the Position.
Pros
Salary
A fun work place
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BC28 September 2016
A really fun place to work with team members, developing skills and having a lot of independence working in different departments. The hardest part of the job was being able to multitask in the deli by doing the production and also serving the customers. management was strict but also fair, they would encourage us to determine our goals bigger and better.
Pros
benefits for longer employment
Great co-workers
general clerk (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC30 August 2016
My fellow staff members were mainly a wonderful bunch..meeting for coffee even outside of the workplace. Hard with the rotation of management in and out of the store..The wait of 1 full year for benefits and pay increases hard on a family
Pros
great co-workers, goodies at times, wonderful get togethers for fundraising
Cons
dept rotations, no consistant management as they get rotated out, long wait for benefits
A good job for high school students doing part time.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 May 2016
typical day at work is finishing all of the freight that comes in and then facing the entire store before closing.
things I learned : memorized all of the aisles of which foods are in, how grocery stores are run.
management is okay. they are helpful and focused but also very unorganized and they do not have set schedules. you work all hours of any day.
my co workers are great people, work hard, very easy to communicate, I consider them my friends.
the hardest part of the job is working in the freezer alone and having to do all of the frozen freight alone within one shift and lifting really heavy boxes without any help.
the most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with.
Pros
the co workers are very pleasent to be around.
Cons
no permanent set hours. call you in to work on your day off. Ask alot of one person. expect too much
Procudctive and Friendly Work Enviroment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2016
Save on Foods, specifically the front end, is an amazing department to work in as we are the faces the customer last see's when leaving the grocery store. We assure they are leaving with a smile and full satisfaction of individual needs. Management has changed continuously during the time I've worked at Save On Foods, and I can confidently say each individual has taught me about either customer service, image or the history/background of Save On Foods. This allowed me to expand my knowledge and deliver high end service for our customers. The most enjoyable part about working at Save On Foods is the customer appreciation that you have done something that will put a smile on their face. I also enjoy seeing regular customers as they become a familiar face and we are able to have great conversations when being served.
Pros
Communacation with regular customers
Cons
Low Salary
Pro: Friendly Environment Cons: Minimum Wage, Understaffed, Untrained, and flawed System of Management
Restuarant Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC16 August 2016
Serving, baking, dishwashing, and prepackaging of items at the workplace for customers. Friendly co-workers for the most part. Being in a seniority system. Hardest part being understaffed and not being just a restuarant clerk but a cleaner, food prepper, and cashier as well. Having minimum wage, and dealing with industrial chemicals that's toxic and causes cancer as well as other cleaning chemicals that may cause skin allergies, burns from unexpected places. Has a lot of hazards at the work environment. Best part of the job is being able to be yourself.
Pros
Friendly environment, steady work environment, stable job, slight benefits for buying or joining clubs.
Cons
Lack of Safety in environment, dealing with industrial chemicals, medical benefits cover 1 year later, minimum wage, working overtime.
Fun place to work decent pay plus bennefits
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC5 June 2016
I worked at save on foods for 3.5 years. They were honestly the best, most fun times I've ever had. Very relaxed work environment, but when there was work to e done everyone kicked in to gear.
Able to very easily balance life and work as schedules come out 3 weeks in advance.
Pay is weekly
Management is awesome and if you need a certain day off all you have to do is ask and they will generally give it to you.
There is some bitterness from the older employees, butbthe use making $30/hour plus so they really shouldn't be complaining.
You get the odd customer who is unruly but overall my experience was awesome. If I didn't lose my seniority and rate of pay when I quit I'd go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
Bennefits (health and dental), good management, time off
Cons
Some bitterness from older employees
Employees are just another number.
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC27 September 2016
Unless you are management or a supervisor you are not treated with respect most of the time. You opinion is never respected and whatever makes it more convenient to management/head office is the way they go, without considering the average employee. Sure there are some good points, however, with the meaner pay, it just isn't worth dealing with.
Pros
Easy to learn
Cons
Lack of respect for employees
The employees and management are all fun and nice people, but the work is tedious and boring.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB26 May 2016
Stocking shelves is not a fun job to have. It's painfully boring, hard to enjoy, and sometimes exhausting work. But the other employees are fun and interesting people, which helps with the boredom. The management seems like they don't know what they're doing, but they are all courteous and nice people. The best part of the job is definitely helping customers and talking to people, whether they be customers or employees. It's a very social work environment.
Pros
Social, easy
Cons
Boring, sometimes physically tasking.
A highly cooperative and fun environment to work within.
Deli Clerk and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC28 June 2016
A typical day at work would be managing the tills and working with the team members to provide the customers with the best customer service possible. Everyday is exciting and fun. The management team does an amazing job. Especially the store manager; manages everything and everyone at the store efficiently and in an organized way. The environment is quite lite and fun.
decent place to work
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC28 June 2016
It was decent, a good job for a part-time student. Not for full time. Not easy to get ahold of management, they don't know you even when you have worked there for over a year. Otherwise, good job. Understaffed at times and hard to do your job with the time given.
Pros
scheduling in advance, many awesome coworkers, seniority
Cons
late hours, not great management, big company so hard to get to know management.
Fun workplace with friendly employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2016
I enjoyed my time at save on foods and was treated with respect by my fellow coworkers and management staff. excellent training was provided and i was able to learn how to complete the tasks at hand in a timely manner.
Pros
predictable shifts, good pay
fun place to work
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 July 2016
Stocking the grocery shelves. Helping customers find what they are looking for. The management was great and loved working with everybody. Dealing with the puplic was fun. The only thing that was hard about it was that I didn't realize how heavy liquid could be. Loved everything about the job.
Pros
Free food in the lunch room
Cons
the hours
Productive and Fun environment
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 September 2016
Good environment, fun people to work with, very warm and welcoming management team. Perfect for first time workers. Mostly part time work.not a lot of full time hours
A job perfect for those with no life outside of work
Meat Clerk and cashier (Former Employee) –  Fleetwood, BC11 July 2016
They started cutting hours severely to the point where we didn't have enough people to run the department properly which resulted in overly stressed works going at each other.
There was no one to train new employees in the meat depart
ment so you very much felt like you were just thrown to the wolves. Most of my coworkers were really nice and easy to get along with how ever there was one that contentiously caused problems yet was never truly reported to head office for it.
The good things about the job was learning new things and meeting new people
Pros
Most costumers were really nice
Cons
must be at their beck and call constantly changing your schedule
Save On Foods
DELI CLERK/GROCERY GENERAL CLERK (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC18 June 2016
I loved my job! I worked with great people and it was a great atmosphere! The company provided benefits and were understanding! Hardest part about my job was sometimes customers did get angry if the product was not in store but I worked my way around and found the best solution possible!
good company
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC29 August 2016
I enjoy working there, with all great customer service I love work environment. staff and management work as friendly, wages and benefit reasonable.
It was a wonderful place working with flowers!!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC22 November 2016
It was my very first job into the providing customer service; originally it was the store of Richmond that called me and they asked me if willing to drive back and forth Abbotsford, I was willing but they gave a change in Abbotsford and stayed for 10 years. We did wedding, funeral packages; corsages graduations flowers; customer service;
Pros
I learned alot with the floweres arragetments;
Cons
A person got to do alot of funurals:((
Fun Workplace
Fresh Cut Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB5 August 2016
I really enjoyed my job at Save on Foods, it was fun,evrybody I worked with were always happy. I learned how to deal with customers better, I learned how to cope with other co workers when they are in a bad mood. My Manager was very happy all the time dealt with every problem that anyone had,She was very understanding and was a good teacher, I learnt fast about my job. The hardest part of my job was doing the product orders. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people.
Pros
very enjoyable workplace
Cons
working late evenings