Save on Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

Save on Foods
Currently a cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCAugust 19, 2016
A typical day at work would be me checking out costumers groceries. I would also get to sometimes clean up and fence yes isles .
Pro: Friendly Environment Cons: Minimum Wage, Understaffed, Untrained, and flawed System of Management
Restuarant Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCAugust 16, 2016
Serving, baking, dishwashing, and prepackaging of items at the workplace for customers. Friendly co-workers for the most part. Being in a seniority system. Hardest part being understaffed and not being just a restuarant clerk but a cleaner, food prepper, and cashier as well. Having minimum wage, and dealing with industrial chemicals that's toxic and causes cancer as well as other cleaning chemicals that may cause skin allergies, burns from unexpected places. Has a lot of hazards at the work environment. Best part of the job is being able to be yourself.
Pros
Friendly environment, steady work environment, stable job, slight benefits for buying or joining clubs.
Cons
Lack of Safety in environment, dealing with industrial chemicals, medical benefits cover 1 year later, minimum wage, working overtime.
A busy workplace, always keeping me busy while working
Cashier, Deli, Bakery, Grocery, Dairy (Current Employee) –  Cloverdale, BCAugust 8, 2016
I have enjoyed working at Save On Foods for the past sixteen months. I've learned a lot about the grocery store industry. I've been trained in five departments of the store which has opened myself up to more opportunities. I have made so many great friends with my co workers, and I have made bonds with many customers. Save On foods has been an amazing job for me as a high school student.
Fun Workplace
Fresh Cut Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ABAugust 5, 2016
I really enjoyed my job at Save on Foods, it was fun,evrybody I worked with were always happy. I learned how to deal with customers better, I learned how to cope with other co workers when they are in a bad mood. My Manager was very happy all the time dealt with every problem that anyone had,She was very understanding and was a good teacher, I learnt fast about my job. The hardest part of my job was doing the product orders. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people.
Pros
very enjoyable workplace
Cons
working late evenings
An Overall Steady Job
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABAugust 4, 2016
Serves good for a first job and I've learnt to work efficiently and co-operatively, to manage my time well within my shift to complete tasks, and to be responsible for my own safety. Most days are quite standard and predictable as you would expect from a grocery store. There is a heavy load of packaging to be done most days but is still manageable along with other tasks. My co-workers most of the time are helpful and positive individuals who work hard and are considerate of others. The hardest parts of the job are managing time and product during sales or large orders as it can create a stressful and fast paced work day. The most enjoyable aspects of working for Save On Foods is the organization of the company/store in terms of payment of employees and scheduling as they do provide an online schedule. The biggest issue i have with working at Save On Foods is the payment/pay scale. Opportunity to move up and/or receive a pay increase are difficult and when a raise is earned its quite minuscule.
Pros
payment always on time, organized, online schedules, free food
Cons
poor pay/raises, monotonous work
Very productive. Give 200% all the time.
Grocery Clerk/Personel&Health (Former Employee) –  Canmore, ABJuly 28, 2016
A typical day for me is having great team work with my co-workers. Getting the job done. Feeling great about the job i have done. Always smiling. Love being around people. Being positive.
Pros
Hard work Ethic
great work environment
Bakery Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 27, 2016
i would start with breakout then i would finish the day with cleaning up
my co workers were always helpful
remembering all of the codes for things was hard
Pros
every first Tuesday of every month there would be a pot luck
Cons
over staffed
A job perfect for those with no life outside of work
Meat Clerk and cashier (Former Employee) –  Fleetwood, BCJuly 11, 2016
They started cutting hours severely to the point where we didn't have enough people to run the department properly which resulted in overly stressed works going at each other.
There was no one to train new employees in the meat depart
ment so you very much felt like you were just thrown to the wolves. Most of my coworkers were really nice and easy to get along with how ever there was one that contentiously caused problems yet was never truly reported to head office for it.
The good things about the job was learning new things and meeting new people
Pros
Most costumers were really nice
Cons
must be at their beck and call constantly changing your schedule
I honestly quite liked it.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJuly 8, 2016
I honestly really liked working in that environment. My manager was great and my coworkers were helpful and kind. They gave me constructive criticism and helped me out when i was having a rough time. So, overall i really liked working there.
fun place to work
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2016
Stocking the grocery shelves. Helping customers find what they are looking for. The management was great and loved working with everybody. Dealing with the puplic was fun. The only thing that was hard about it was that I didn't realize how heavy liquid could be. Loved everything about the job.
Pros
Free food in the lunch room
Cons
the hours
A highly cooperative and fun environment to work within.
Deli Clerk and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BCJune 28, 2016
A typical day at work would be managing the tills and working with the team members to provide the customers with the best customer service possible. Everyday is exciting and fun. The management team does an amazing job. Especially the store manager; manages everything and everyone at the store efficiently and in an organized way. The environment is quite lite and fun.
decent place to work
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCJune 28, 2016
It was decent, a good job for a part-time student. Not for full time. Not easy to get ahold of management, they don't know you even when you have worked there for over a year. Otherwise, good job. Understaffed at times and hard to do your job with the time given.
Pros
scheduling in advance, many awesome coworkers, seniority
Cons
late hours, not great management, big company so hard to get to know management.
need to be more flexible with time off
Meat cutter/ deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BCJune 24, 2016
i did not like how the scheduling works, life happens, if I needed time off, it was really hard to just hand my shift off to someone that worked in my department, because it goes by seniority, it made it rally hard
Save On Foods
DELI CLERK/GROCERY GENERAL CLERK (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BCJune 18, 2016
I loved my job! I worked with great people and it was a great atmosphere! The company provided benefits and were understanding! Hardest part about my job was sometimes customers did get angry if the product was not in store but I worked my way around and found the best solution possible!
Lead Cake Decorator
LEAD CAKE DECORATOR (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 17, 2016
The manager is an ignorant idiot, do NOT work in Bakery!!!

All cakes come in iced, and frozen, there is barely any work to be done to them,
not much to say
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 6, 2016
Liked the coworkers, hated the regulations. Couldn't do much- had to either stand in front of the till or at the till. Liked it when I had to do something that let me move around; do carts, clean, run things back.
Fun place to work decent pay plus bennefits
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCJune 5, 2016
I worked at save on foods for 3.5 years. They were honestly the best, most fun times I've ever had. Very relaxed work environment, but when there was work to e done everyone kicked in to gear.
Able to very easily balance life and work as schedules come out 3 weeks in advance.
Pay is weekly
Management is awesome and if you need a certain day off all you have to do is ask and they will generally give it to you.
There is some bitterness from the older employees, butbthe use making $30/hour plus so they really shouldn't be complaining.
You get the odd customer who is unruly but overall my experience was awesome. If I didn't lose my seniority and rate of pay when I quit I'd go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
Bennefits (health and dental), good management, time off
Cons
Some bitterness from older employees
Rude Manager
Bakery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 2, 2016
I was a bakery specialist and my friend was as well, our Manager used to harass us and make us feel horrible and made us hate our job. She got so mad one time for no reason and yelled at my friend, she then cried because she was overwhelmed. Most people in the bakery quit due to this manager.
Pros
good money and hours
Cons
horrible manager
Great staff not so great management
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 31, 2016
The new management team stinks ! Not great scheduling either, inconsistent scheduling, and they do not corporate with your schedule
Pros
Great team members
Cons
Management sucks
Good place to start
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 31, 2016
Nice place to start gaining experience in the work field.
Best part of the job is the co-workers.
Management could use some improvement but they will get there.