Save on Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

need to be more flexible with time off
Meat cutter/ deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BCJune 24, 2016
i did not like how the scheduling works, life happens, if I needed time off, it was really hard to just hand my shift off to someone that worked in my department, because it goes by seniority, it made it rally hard
Save On Foods
DELI CLERK/GROCERY GENERAL CLERK (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BCJune 18, 2016
I loved my job! I worked with great people and it was a great atmosphere! The company provided benefits and were understanding! Hardest part about my job was sometimes customers did get angry if the product was not in store but I worked my way around and found the best solution possible!
Lead Cake Decorator
LEAD CAKE DECORATOR (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 17, 2016
The manager is an ignorant idiot, do NOT work in Bakery!!!

All cakes come in iced, and frozen, there is barely any work to be done to them,
not much to say
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 6, 2016
Liked the coworkers, hated the regulations. Couldn't do much- had to either stand in front of the till or at the till. Liked it when I had to do something that let me move around; do carts, clean, run things back.
Fun place to work decent pay plus bennefits
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCJune 5, 2016
I worked at save on foods for 3.5 years. They were honestly the best, most fun times I've ever had. Very relaxed work environment, but when there was work to e done everyone kicked in to gear.
Able to very easily balance life and work as schedules come out 3 weeks in advance.
Pay is weekly
Management is awesome and if you need a certain day off all you have to do is ask and they will generally give it to you.
There is some bitterness from the older employees, butbthe use making $30/hour plus so they really shouldn't be complaining.
You get the odd customer who is unruly but overall my experience was awesome. If I didn't lose my seniority and rate of pay when I quit I'd go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
Bennefits (health and dental), good management, time off
Cons
Some bitterness from older employees
Rude Manager
Bakery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 2, 2016
I was a bakery specialist and my friend was as well, our Manager used to harass us and make us feel horrible and made us hate our job. She got so mad one time for no reason and yelled at my friend, she then cried because she was overwhelmed. Most people in the bakery quit due to this manager.
Pros
good money and hours
Cons
horrible manager
Great staff not so great management
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 31, 2016
The new management team stinks ! Not great scheduling either, inconsistent scheduling, and they do not corporate with your schedule
Pros
Great team members
Cons
Management sucks
Good place to start
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 31, 2016
Nice place to start gaining experience in the work field.
Best part of the job is the co-workers.
Management could use some improvement but they will get there.
The employees and management are all fun and nice people, but the work is tedious and boring.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMay 26, 2016
Stocking shelves is not a fun job to have. It's painfully boring, hard to enjoy, and sometimes exhausting work. But the other employees are fun and interesting people, which helps with the boredom. The management seems like they don't know what they're doing, but they are all courteous and nice people. The best part of the job is definitely helping customers and talking to people, whether they be customers or employees. It's a very social work environment.
Pros
Social, easy
Cons
Boring, sometimes physically tasking.
gerenal help
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 24, 2016
i was a good company to work had some nice co workers and i liked working inside i learned alot about cumtoer service it was hard working outside and in the winter the management was ok
Terrible Management, Changing shifts, Assigned shifts exceeding avaliability.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 16, 2016
The management was terrible. The co-workers were easy to work with but the environment was unsettling. An average workday would consist of being discouraged due to comments made towards me by Management.
Pros
Enjoyed talking to customers
Cons
Terrible Management
Great Place to Work...Not A Lot of Room for Growth
Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BCMay 14, 2016
A typical day at work starts with a great attitude. I have learned how to serve customers more efficiently and I've learned how to try and keep every single person happy. Management is great. They're fair, and non-judgmental.
Great job to start with.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 9, 2016
This is a great starting job. Salary is good. They are willing to train staff at whatever is needed. Union based and christian company.
A good job for high school students doing part time.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 8, 2016
typical day at work is finishing all of the freight that comes in and then facing the entire store before closing.
things I learned : memorized all of the aisles of which foods are in, how grocery stores are run.
management is okay. they are helpful and focused but also very unorganized and they do not have set schedules. you work all hours of any day.
my co workers are great people, work hard, very easy to communicate, I consider them my friends.
the hardest part of the job is working in the freezer alone and having to do all of the frozen freight alone within one shift and lifting really heavy boxes without any help.
the most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with.
Pros
the co workers are very pleasent to be around.
Cons
no permanent set hours. call you in to work on your day off. Ask alot of one person. expect too much
nice people
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 16, 2016
Fun place to work and great people just below average wages. Hours were good and management were very reasonable. Would recommend this job to a student or someone looking for a part-time job
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cloverdale, BCApril 11, 2016
great place to work, friendly management, and flexible hours for students. Really easy to get adjusted and be apart of the save on family
Pros
great team, and break schedule
Procudctive and Friendly Work Enviroment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 10, 2016
Save on Foods, specifically the front end, is an amazing department to work in as we are the faces the customer last see's when leaving the grocery store. We assure they are leaving with a smile and full satisfaction of individual needs. Management has changed continuously during the time I've worked at Save On Foods, and I can confidently say each individual has taught me about either customer service, image or the history/background of Save On Foods. This allowed me to expand my knowledge and deliver high end service for our customers. The most enjoyable part about working at Save On Foods is the customer appreciation that you have done something that will put a smile on their face. I also enjoy seeing regular customers as they become a familiar face and we are able to have great conversations when being served.
Pros
Communacation with regular customers
Cons
Low Salary
Great place to work with great people
Front End Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 5, 2016
I loved working at Save On Foods, the people I worked with were friendly yet professional. The hours were flexible and they were willing to accommodate everyone's needs.
fun place to work and everyone was friendly
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCApril 4, 2016
Helped everyone out when needed help and greeted customers everyday. the pay was great and i loved working with everyone there. i gained a lot of customer service skills and working in fast paste environments. i love working with people
Pros
great environment and pay
Cons
too far
Save on is one of the top company that i really admire, they usually does the their customer needs.
Part Time Cashier (Current Employee) –  Squamish, BCApril 2, 2016
I just started at save on as a part time, i do like there, they all nice the management, my co worker and even the customer, i enjoyed most. when i met different kind of people, sharing their thoughts and sometimes an out of the blue stuff, but that's ok i enjoyed, listening to them.
Pros
extra 15 mins break and free treat (fruits)
Cons
sometimes if they ask you to have an over time, but your so tired an exhausted.