Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Save on Foods
Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB18 October 2017
Job is your typical min wage job. Management was alright for the most part, except when it came to schedules. I had to miss a few classes in order to get to work on time because they scheduled me an hour earlier.
Pros
customers
Cons
Mixed schedule and drama
Career Growth
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 October 2017
If you enjoy the business, its a great company to grow with.
There are opportunities to go far if you have the drive. There are a load of courses available online to improve yourself and help qualify yourself for promotions.
Pros
Growth Opp
Cons
Angry Customers
Overall good experience
Cashier and Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC13 October 2017
The store was not very good with scheduling. The schedule changed almost every day. However, the management was awesome and very helpful. The environment at the workplace was very positive aswell.
productive but politics and at times bad co-workers
Meat/ seafood clerk (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC13 October 2017
Save on foods, in recent years has become a striving business yet its employees at some stores ( myself included) have been stressed to the point of quitting, coworkers can at times be lazy to the point that depending on how you handle your work, can lead to no breaks or set behind in the work day, this happens regularly.
Pros
free lunches every Tuesday, great benefits and job security
Service Desk
Front End Cashier (Current Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT10 October 2017
I deal with customers that need assistance with errors on their receipts as well as lottery and selling of cigarettes.
The Assistant Manager is great to work with he is very helpful.
productive environment
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  100 Mile House, BC5 October 2017
everyone works together and days were always busy. days went by fast and I learned a lot about retail. They had a great management team and everyone respected each other.
Doesn't worth it!
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 October 2017
I worked there for a month and half.
-Coworkers were very friendly
-Management is good as well
-You work very hard for 11$
-You are on call for any schedule change in 24hrs
-They call you in your days off to see if you can come if someone sick.
-You work in retail so be ready to see crazy customers
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
low wage, crazy customers, a lot to do
Great teamwork between staff, energetic atmosphere.
Produce department specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 October 2017
I enjoy working with save on foods, the team works well together and is very diverse. No, you do not get discounts on groceries, you only get 15% for a week instead of one day, but you can only use the discount once. Benefits are great, 80% coverage on dental, health, long-term disability, etc. but you need an average of 30 hours per week to qualify, also you get paid weekly. One thing I did not like, is the constant over the shoulder watching by upper management. Instead of helping you when times get busy, they criticize what you didn't get done. (Not sure if that is just my store.) Otherwise, the company is very involved in it's community, and local vendors. They have also recently become very environmentally friendly using composting methods, and trying to reduce the use of plastic bags.
Pros
Benefits, schedules based on your availability, and family oriented.
Cons
Constant greeting reminders
very fun filled place too work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 October 2017
great people. good workplace. great staff. honourable job offers. i met lots of great people and enjoyed working here. i learnt alot working here. i would work here again
I enjoyed working here
Restaurant and Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC2 October 2017
A typical day at work was fun, although slightly disorganized. There was always something to do, which I like. There was quite a bit of gossip that would sometimes interfere with performance of employees (but is to be expected). Wages are low, but not much is expected of you. Union benefits are excellent if you plan to make it a career and not a temp job.
Love it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC26 September 2017
Save on foods was a great place to work. Love that they train you in all departments not just one. So one week your in deli next your in cash next your in bakery so on and so forth so you get a feel of everything
Unproductive, No team effort, and they do not train anyone properly!
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC16 September 2017
I always walked in to a mess and a bunch of things not even on my tasks to do, every department was very disorganized, also the managers are are okay except for a couple. The only enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with the community especially during the fire season we had! But the hardest part of the job was the constant mess and dysfunction between staff!
Pros
1-unpaid break, and snacks upstairs.
Cons
unfair wages for what the people have to put up with!
A great place to work , very busy all the time.
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Canmore, AB15 September 2017
Enjoyed my job very much . Moved or would still be there. Enjoyed working with the public. I trained new staff members in cash and customer service. Also did scheduling and projections for following weeks .
Fun place great people
Restaurant Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC14 September 2017
Fun place with great people everyone is super nice and friendly. sometimes employees mess up leaving you to fix the problem. managers didn't order products leaving shelf and display cases empty. For new employees, bad hours, start late with a 4 hour shift or no shifts at all, basically on call the first few months.
Pros
sometimes free lunch parties
Cons
sometimes rude customers or other employee mess ups
Fun place to work.
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC13 September 2017
This is a great place to work with regard to people you work with. It can be a very fun environment. There are opportunities to learn new skills if you show initiative. The hours of work are not bad.
Great staff
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB7 September 2017
Love my co-workers, the management is great. Advancement is possible but can be challenging to achieve. The wage is alright but will never really change, you have to put in to many hours for the littlest raise.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Little raise
Fun to work but sometimes not worth it
Clerk and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC6 September 2017
I had some fun working with coworkers my age. Nice benefits and good for full time students as a part time job. However, having this as a full time job can be very exhausting and not worth it.
Job held over your head, management unfair, fake opportunities to advance
Employee (Former Employee) –  Alberta5 September 2017
While working here I learned many important skills, I gained a fair amount of experience, and made some great friends. Overall the employees are optimistic and kind at work, and very helpful.

Management, however, has some issues it needs to work out. Have heard from multiple sources from many different stores that jobs are often "held over" an employee's head, and that opportunities to advance are often given and taken away at will. Managers are also not held to the same professional standard, it seems, that employees are when behind the scenes. Union rules and guidelines are often disregarded; have known (again) multiple people from many locations who have been told, essentially, "come to work today or your career is on the line" , repeated many, many times to the point where certain people have worked upwards of 10-30 days in a row (not always paid to either).

Never had an issue with salary, my coworkers were always great, and the store was always presented great. It was really just the issues with the managers and the little, horrible things that they would get away with that made me quit.
Pros
Great team members, fun atmosphere
Cons
Management, unfair treatment, no way to advance unless you're friends with the managers
co workers were great and store managers were great
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, AB3 September 2017
I didn't really have a problem with this employer but i didn't like how the bakery managers treated people. Overall it was not a bad store and the selection and quality of products was very good.
Pros
friendly
Cons
not enough hours
company needs some work
manager (Former Employee) –  regina1 September 2017
solid core of leadership in the company but very weak training programs in place, especially for lower management. Too much pressure is put on dept managers as opposed to supervisor, asm and sm.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.