Save on Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

Great starter job
Produce Department Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 8, 2016
Great company, lots of opportunity to advance, pay increase every 500 hours and great benefits and discounts are okay. Overall i recommend
Pros
Good union, career advancement, good benefits
Happy place to work
3rd Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 17, 2015
Nice place to work. Super clean out of any grocery store I have shopped at. Super friendly staff and always willing to help. Loved working with my employees.
Pros
Staff were great
Cons
Raise increase sucks every 500hrs. When I worked there 4 years, All I got was an $1.50 raise..
Productive and excellent customer service.
CUSTOMER SERVICE CLERK (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 28, 2015
I have been working at Save On Foods part time since 2013 and at the same time going to school; I am very much happy working with them especially with my coworkers and supervisors who are very considerate and fun to work with. I have enjoyed working with diverse people and worked harmoniously with other coworkers at different departments as well, all in all I love working there, the environment is very good.
Pros
good for part time students like me before to start
Cons
salary is low but will be just enough with good hours worked
Amazing Company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 30, 2015
This company was great, they were very willing to work with the schedule that I needed. Everybody always came to work happy, and ready to work. Even the store manager would stop by daily and just say hi, and have a small conversation.

The benefits were amazing as well. Great unionized company!
Pros
Paid Weekly
Cons
A good job for high school students doing part time.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 8, 2016
typical day at work is finishing all of the freight that comes in and then facing the entire store before closing.
things I learned : memorized all of the aisles of which foods are in, how grocery stores are run.
management is okay. they are helpful and focused but also very unorganized and they do not have set schedules. you work all hours of any day.
my co workers are great people, work hard, very easy to communicate, I consider them my friends.
the hardest part of the job is working in the freezer alone and having to do all of the frozen freight alone within one shift and lifting really heavy boxes without any help.
the most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with.
Pros
the co workers are very pleasent to be around.
Cons
no permanent set hours. call you in to work on your day off. Ask alot of one person. expect too much
customer serivce great company over all
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCFebruary 10, 2016
great company to work for overall. This was my first REAL job during and after high school great hours and pay great co-workers but company no longer has the same pay or benefit package as before for employees. E. I. I had to take a buy out due to my health reasons. was with company for 13 years. I went back to the company as it was great company to work for before but when I got rehired i was no where close to making a living money. I was very close to minimum wage and not many hours.. its a job for high school students who are living at home not for someone who can live on the wage all alone. great company for high school students but not for adult who has bills to pay and family to feed
Great atmosphere to work in; I learned a lot about customer service and people were friendly.
produce associate (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 9, 2016
typical day I would walk in, get ready for work, they would all be welcoming and friendly; and there was no complications between areas of work (Example: Between Bakery and Produce). I would go on break usually on time. Once or twice I nearly missed lunch due to a rush hour but manager was forgiving.
I learned the importance of being reliable, worth ethic, how to stock properly, how to adapt to a new environment, and to ask questions.
The assistant manager had some of the best costumer service skills I had ever seen. Somebody I wanted to impress. My manager made me feel like he didn't like me, but he did his job well.
All co workers were friendly. Conversation easily flowed between me and whomever I was working near. Something I quite wasn't used to.
I found the pace and the amount of work to be done quite hard.
The most enjoyable was the atmosphere and the people I worked with.
Pros
Friendly co workers, forgiving manager, friendly customers, free food in break room, tv in break room
Cons
Long hours, fast paced, overwhelming, the rare rude customer, still not sure why I was terminated.
Procudctive and Friendly Work Enviroment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 10, 2016
Save on Foods, specifically the front end, is an amazing department to work in as we are the faces the customer last see's when leaving the grocery store. We assure they are leaving with a smile and full satisfaction of individual needs. Management has changed continuously during the time I've worked at Save On Foods, and I can confidently say each individual has taught me about either customer service, image or the history/background of Save On Foods. This allowed me to expand my knowledge and deliver high end service for our customers. The most enjoyable part about working at Save On Foods is the customer appreciation that you have done something that will put a smile on their face. I also enjoy seeing regular customers as they become a familiar face and we are able to have great conversations when being served.
Pros
Communacation with regular customers
Cons
Low Salary
Save on is one of the top company that i really admire, they usually does the their customer needs.
Part Time Cashier (Current Employee) –  Squamish, BCApril 2, 2016
I just started at save on as a part time, i do like there, they all nice the management, my co worker and even the customer, i enjoyed most. when i met different kind of people, sharing their thoughts and sometimes an out of the blue stuff, but that's ok i enjoyed, listening to them.
Pros
extra 15 mins break and free treat (fruits)
Cons
sometimes if they ask you to have an over time, but your so tired an exhausted.
Good career for retail foods
Shipper Receiver (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMarch 30, 2016
Typical retail store
Unioned
You learned many new skills that will carry thru to other jobs if needed.
Management is great, they listen and help if need to and are willing to work right beside you to get the job done.
Most enjoyable part of the job is the knowledge you acquire and the different jobs you can learn with in the job.
Pros
Friendly envroment
Cons
Retail
stupid place to work for
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 26, 2015
if your biggest want in this world is to be bossed around and punished for things you never did, or be punished if your child gets sick even if you have saved up worked days and vaca days then this is the place for you, where you wont ever have a schedule it changes daily so you cant have another life or job cause they dont pay well either they would rather you quit then pay you your raise
Fast-paced, challenging, engaging
General clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCFebruary 16, 2015
I spent ten years as part of the Overweitea Food Group at Save On Foods in Fleetwood. I received awesome training working with a great group of people and was placed in head production role because of my ability for production and efficiency on the Job as well as time-management. I had amazing benefits (including ATO's=paid days off bi-weekly, 90% dental and sick bank), fun work environment ideal for coaching, mentoring and challenging people to think on their feet as well as learning various aspects of management through experience and seeking growth.
Pros
awesome people. time and a half on stats which are plenty through the year
Cons
low chance of getting bast benefits now with the direction of the company
Fun place
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCMarch 20, 2016
The job is fun overall, however the management is not understanding of your school life. The team members are easy to get along with and they all enjoy interacting with the customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is the close team us employees are.
The management was rather poor
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaMay 9, 2015
I did not really enjoy working at save on foods near the end of my employment because my department became disorganized and the treatment of employees declined. I have been injured a few times while on shift, and despite me reporting these issues it was completely ignored. The reason for this was because I was not injured enough to be sent home from work. The union (CLAC) was very weak and did not support people who were only working part-time. Save on Foods took advantage of this and only hired people for 34 hours a week so that they would still be registered as part-time but with no benefits. I was being paid less than minimum wage at Save on Foods because I had to account for a union fee. On paper it says I am being paid 11$/ hour, but the reality was that I was being paid 10$/ hour because for every hour I worked I had to pay 1$ to the union. At the time, the minimum wage in Alberta was 10.35$/hour.

I did enjoy working with my co-workers there, but even those who stayed and worked for the company for 4 years were still being yelled at by supervisors. The most common reason was that they were being too slow, however, most of these supervisors ignored other variables that made workers slower at doing their work such as having a shelve fall apart while they are stalking up goods.
Pros
Simple work
Cons
Poor management of employees
Unbelievable management!
Bakery Department Employee (Former Employee) –  Fort St. JohnJuly 11, 2015
To me, management is the key to a successful work force. In order for the employee to continue to do labor for corporation or organization, they desire to have their demands met. Sadly up in Fort St. Johns, B.C. Canada there's no such thing. Many of my peers and I quit due to unfair management, one throwing me back on probation for not making it to work the day I fell down the stairs with a DOCTORS EXCUSE! Was simply given a strike, told if it happens again "people like me" tend to not last for long. I complained to the Union however I haven't heard much back so far. If you can, AVOID this branch for employment!
Pros
Great discounts on store merchandise.
Cons
Long hours, unfair hours, never feel as if opinion is voiced, etc.
Fun and productive workplace
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Aldergrove, BCNovember 8, 2015
At Save On Foods we're like a family.
For me it's a home away from home. Everyone is extremely friendly and always in a happy mood. If i'm ever feeling down I can count on the staff to turn my mood around. There's always something to do so you're always occupied, management makes sure of that. Management is absolutely amazing, always making sure everything is okay. I've learned so much through out my experience.
Pros
Staff draws every 2nd week
Cons
Scattered hours
Lack of Organization
cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 4, 2015
I learned nothing for lack of training. They said I would get part time hours which meant one 8 hour shift once biweekly (until training happened, which never did). Management does not communicate together nor do they really respect staff. The co-workers are very helpful and understanding. The hardest part of the job is keeping manager happy. The most enjoyable part is the customers. I saw on here that it was a fun, enjoyable place to work. Wow, was I wrong!
Pros
Customers
Cons
Miscommunications, stressful
Great people and customers were quite nice because many were regulars.
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BCFebruary 23, 2016
I generally closed so there was the serving of the customers but also maintaining workspace cleanliness and closing everything down preparing for the next day. I learned more social skills and made friends with the customers and learned what the regulars wanted. Most of my co workers were easy to work with and gave good instruction when a task needed to be done.
Fun Work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABMarch 2, 2016
A good place to work just do not get a sufficient amount of hours.
Always keeps you busy
Good interaction with people
Many different things to do
Deal with money and interac
Management is friendly
Slave on by working at Save on
Grocery department specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 19, 2015
Terrible management, too much favoritism, terrible scheduling. Fastest shrink item is employee morale. Only work here if you can't go anywhere else. Could be store I am at, but the managers are awful and do not recognize their employees no matter how hard they slave. Pay is low and raises are very small. Only if you are a favorite will you advance.
Pros
benefits are decent
Cons
terrible environment