Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Stressful with bad managment
Cook (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB22 February 2017
The people who run Save On Foods (not the managers of the Airdrie branch) have next to no regard for their staff. They over charge (meaning they mark up the price for no reason) on almost every single item in store. The department managers are good managers but now we're lucky if we have two people on the floor at a time. You want to get over worked for next to no pay off? Join the Save On Foods team.
Pros
They tell you they are going to move you up.
Cons
They do not move you up, treat you terribly on your worst days.
Productive workplace, needed better management review process
Supervisor of Dairy department (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2017
Typical day was hard-working but not over the top difficulty. Fairly structured routines. Learned how to receive freight, how to deal with customers well. Managers were either great or terrible, no real in between, and the manager interview process needed to be reviewed as there were many incompetent managers. Hardest part of the job would be receiving freight with a limited amount of warehouse space. Most enjoyable part was the coworkers.
Pros
Fair break times, occasionally good managers
Coworkers are great! Appreciate my supervisor
Full Time Pharmacy Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2017
A good place to work. Has weaknesses like any other organization, but overall I enjoy where I work. Save On tends to attract a favorable demographic (ie) as opposed to organizations that focus ONLY on price point of the products they sell. Large organization, but privately owned, so feels a little more like a family run operation.
Pros
Small perks like providing employees with fruit in the staff room are nice
Cons
Lower end for compensation, somewhat limited opportunity to move up in rank within the organization
Personal Shopper
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Grandview, BC3 January 2017
3 day weeks quickly become 5 day random scheduled days. Bad training. Worse pay. Full time means you work 40 hours a week but are designated part time, so good luck with promised benefits. So many people hired, even more quit. Everyone at the store, even the union members, wished they could be anywhere else but there. Management had no power to reward hard workers.
Cons
Random hours, no advancement, crumby pay
Good job
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 December 2016
The staff were great and very hard workers. Management was very good. Salary was a bit low for work I did. Small room for advancement. The days were very repetitive. I did learn however how to stock a grocery store in a timely manner during my short time there. Hardest part of the job was being fast enough and being able to deal with the repetitiveness.
Pros
Consistent hours and management that cares about their workers.
Cons
Work was very repetitive.
Fun Place to work with good staff
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2017
Save on foods is a good place for people getting their first jobs. For the bakery, they expect a lot to be done from the workers alone just from the start. The hardest part of the job was closing because of having so much to do with very little time and being the only worker in bakery every night.
Pros
Was very close by. Easy to get to
Cons
Hours aren't flexible for people in school
It was a wonderful place working with flowers!!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC22 November 2016
It was my very first job into the providing customer service; originally it was the store of Richmond that called me and they asked me if willing to drive back and forth Abbotsford, I was willing but they gave a change in Abbotsford and stayed for 10 years. We did wedding, funeral packages; corsages graduations flowers; customer service;
Pros
I learned alot with the floweres arragetments;
Cons
A person got to do alot of funurals:((
A day in the life on a customer service employee
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 February 2017
At my current job I arrive to work, clock in and start my day depending on which department I am in. If I am on the till I clean up my working area, help customers with their groceries, and direct other employees to which till they will be working at and what they will be doing. At the end of the night I count up the money and place it in a pouch, collect all the tills, lotto, and papers and take it upstairs to the safe. It's a very on the go job where you don't get much time to stand around. Heavy lifting required. I learned a lot while working at this job, including customer service skills, how to deal with many different types of customers, using my judgement, and working well with teammates. The hardest part of my job is the heavy lifting and the non-stop dealing with difficult customers. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with great employees and seeing every day friendly customers.
Grocery Manager
Grocery Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 September 2016

Grocery Manager is in charge of hiring and training his staff, scheduling, Meet and projecting financial budgets. Proper merchandising, Stays in touch with Community Support, Making sure Store operations are met everyday
Sometimes going to a new store can be challenging every store does somethings a little bit different also adapting to other Manager types.

I enjoy everything about the Position.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Employees are just another number.
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC27 September 2016
Unless you are management or a supervisor you are not treated with respect most of the time. You opinion is never respected and whatever makes it more convenient to management/head office is the way they go, without considering the average employee. Sure there are some good points, however, with the meaner pay, it just isn't worth dealing with.
Pros
Easy to learn
Cons
Lack of respect for employees
A fun work place
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BC28 September 2016
A really fun place to work with team members, developing skills and having a lot of independence working in different departments. The hardest part of the job was being able to multitask in the deli by doing the production and also serving the customers. management was strict but also fair, they would encourage us to determine our goals bigger and better.
Pros
benefits for longer employment
Loved working as a team
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB21 February 2017
Learned how to work alongside of a professional team. I learned the in's and out's of working in a grocery store/different types of foods. Learned how to work on overall professional status. I was able to take in the benefits of working my own hours.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Standing for 8 hours
n/a
Cashier/ Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 January 2017
Worked sometimes 12-18 hrs.. Learned all that I needed to know in constructing roads. Management was terrible, most sites were poorly supervised. The hardest part of the job was long days and no real days off. The most enjoyable was working outdoors and seeing different towns in Alberta.
Good workplace with good Managers and co-workers
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 January 2017
A typical day of work as a grocery clerk consisted of stocking and facing shelves, checking dates on stock, cleaning shelves and the floors and assisting costumers to the best of your ability. I learned how to read a planogoram, how to properly stock and face product and how to interact with costumers and deal with bad situations should they arise. The management staff was kind, caring and wanted to see the best that I could do. My co-workers were all kind, helpful and made the workdays more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was facing items as some items would often fall down while facing or items would be stocked in the wrong spot. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interactions with the customers and the pride in seeing the quality of my work when finished.
Pros
Friendly managers and co-workers, easy to understand tasks and good environment.
Cons
Short amount of work hours, odd communication on schedule changes.
Its okay. A good place to begin your work experience.
Department Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB3 January 2017
Its okay.
A good place to begin your work experience.
I love the place. Its a great place to work for everyone. There is no barrier to growth. You progress as you grow in the company.
Pros
Free lunch, Great team members and management
Cons
NA
Great co-workers
general clerk (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC30 August 2016
My fellow staff members were mainly a wonderful bunch..meeting for coffee even outside of the workplace. Hard with the rotation of management in and out of the store..The wait of 1 full year for benefits and pay increases hard on a family
Pros
great co-workers, goodies at times, wonderful get togethers for fundraising
Cons
dept rotations, no consistant management as they get rotated out, long wait for benefits
A great environment with very nice co workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 October 2016
I enjoyed my job because the shifts and hours were exactly what i wanted them to be. My co-workers were always nice and helpful. My manager was very kind and was generous when talking about changing shifts. I did not think my job was hard at all.
Pros
Free food in lunch room
Cons
far away from where i lived
Fun workplace with friendly employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2016
I enjoyed my time at save on foods and was treated with respect by my fellow coworkers and management staff. excellent training was provided and i was able to learn how to complete the tasks at hand in a timely manner.
Pros
predictable shifts, good pay
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC20 February 2017
Save-On is great for anyone in school. Good at working around your schedule (sports, school, family trips etc). As a cashier the typical day is having lots of conversations with the customers. Sometimes the customers can be hard to deal with.
A busy workplace, always keeping me busy while working
Cashier, Deli, Bakery, Grocery, Dairy (Current Employee) –  Cloverdale, BC8 August 2016
I have enjoyed working at Save On Foods for the past sixteen months. I've learned a lot about the grocery store industry. I've been trained in five departments of the store which has opened myself up to more opportunities. I have made so many great friends with my co workers, and I have made bonds with many customers. Save On foods has been an amazing job for me as a high school student.