Save on Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

A job perfect for those with no life outside of work
Meat Clerk and cashier (Former Employee) –  Fleetwood, BCJuly 11, 2016
They started cutting hours severely to the point where we didn't have enough people to run the department properly which resulted in overly stressed works going at each other.
There was no one to train new employees in the meat depart
ment so you very much felt like you were just thrown to the wolves. Most of my coworkers were really nice and easy to get along with how ever there was one that contentiously caused problems yet was never truly reported to head office for it.
The good things about the job was learning new things and meeting new people
Pros
Most costumers were really nice
Cons
must be at their beck and call constantly changing your schedule
A highly cooperative and fun environment to work within.
Deli Clerk and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BCJune 28, 2016
A typical day at work would be managing the tills and working with the team members to provide the customers with the best customer service possible. Everyday is exciting and fun. The management team does an amazing job. Especially the store manager; manages everything and everyone at the store efficiently and in an organized way. The environment is quite lite and fun.
The employees and management are all fun and nice people, but the work is tedious and boring.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMay 26, 2016
Stocking shelves is not a fun job to have. It's painfully boring, hard to enjoy, and sometimes exhausting work. But the other employees are fun and interesting people, which helps with the boredom. The management seems like they don't know what they're doing, but they are all courteous and nice people. The best part of the job is definitely helping customers and talking to people, whether they be customers or employees. It's a very social work environment.
Pros
Social, easy
Cons
Boring, sometimes physically tasking.
decent place to work
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCJune 28, 2016
It was decent, a good job for a part-time student. Not for full time. Not easy to get ahold of management, they don't know you even when you have worked there for over a year. Otherwise, good job. Understaffed at times and hard to do your job with the time given.
Pros
scheduling in advance, many awesome coworkers, seniority
Cons
late hours, not great management, big company so hard to get to know management.
Fun place to work decent pay plus bennefits
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCJune 5, 2016
I worked at save on foods for 3.5 years. They were honestly the best, most fun times I've ever had. Very relaxed work environment, but when there was work to e done everyone kicked in to gear.
Able to very easily balance life and work as schedules come out 3 weeks in advance.
Pay is weekly
Management is awesome and if you need a certain day off all you have to do is ask and they will generally give it to you.
There is some bitterness from the older employees, butbthe use making $30/hour plus so they really shouldn't be complaining.
You get the odd customer who is unruly but overall my experience was awesome. If I didn't lose my seniority and rate of pay when I quit I'd go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
Bennefits (health and dental), good management, time off
Cons
Some bitterness from older employees
Save on is one of the top company that i really admire, they usually does the their customer needs.
Part Time Cashier (Current Employee) –  Squamish, BCApril 2, 2016
I just started at save on as a part time, i do like there, they all nice the management, my co worker and even the customer, i enjoyed most. when i met different kind of people, sharing their thoughts and sometimes an out of the blue stuff, but that's ok i enjoyed, listening to them.
Pros
extra 15 mins break and free treat (fruits)
Cons
sometimes if they ask you to have an over time, but your so tired an exhausted.
A good job for high school students doing part time.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 8, 2016
typical day at work is finishing all of the freight that comes in and then facing the entire store before closing.
things I learned : memorized all of the aisles of which foods are in, how grocery stores are run.
management is okay. they are helpful and focused but also very unorganized and they do not have set schedules. you work all hours of any day.
my co workers are great people, work hard, very easy to communicate, I consider them my friends.
the hardest part of the job is working in the freezer alone and having to do all of the frozen freight alone within one shift and lifting really heavy boxes without any help.
the most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with.
Pros
the co workers are very pleasent to be around.
Cons
no permanent set hours. call you in to work on your day off. Ask alot of one person. expect too much
fun place to work
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2016
Stocking the grocery shelves. Helping customers find what they are looking for. The management was great and loved working with everybody. Dealing with the puplic was fun. The only thing that was hard about it was that I didn't realize how heavy liquid could be. Loved everything about the job.
Pros
Free food in the lunch room
Cons
the hours
Rude Manager
Bakery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 2, 2016
I was a bakery specialist and my friend was as well, our Manager used to harass us and make us feel horrible and made us hate our job. She got so mad one time for no reason and yelled at my friend, she then cried because she was overwhelmed. Most people in the bakery quit due to this manager.
Pros
good money and hours
Cons
horrible manager
Terrible Management, Changing shifts, Assigned shifts exceeding avaliability.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 16, 2016
The management was terrible. The co-workers were easy to work with but the environment was unsettling. An average workday would consist of being discouraged due to comments made towards me by Management.
Pros
Enjoyed talking to customers
Cons
Terrible Management
Good career for retail foods
Shipper Receiver (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMarch 30, 2016
Typical retail store
Unioned
You learned many new skills that will carry thru to other jobs if needed.
Management is great, they listen and help if need to and are willing to work right beside you to get the job done.
Most enjoyable part of the job is the knowledge you acquire and the different jobs you can learn with in the job.
Pros
Friendly envroment
Cons
Retail
Save On Foods
DELI CLERK/GROCERY GENERAL CLERK (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BCJune 18, 2016
I loved my job! I worked with great people and it was a great atmosphere! The company provided benefits and were understanding! Hardest part about my job was sometimes customers did get angry if the product was not in store but I worked my way around and found the best solution possible!
Great people and customers were quite nice because many were regulars.
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BCFebruary 23, 2016
I generally closed so there was the serving of the customers but also maintaining workspace cleanliness and closing everything down preparing for the next day. I learned more social skills and made friends with the customers and learned what the regulars wanted. Most of my co workers were easy to work with and gave good instruction when a task needed to be done.
Procudctive and Friendly Work Enviroment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 10, 2016
Save on Foods, specifically the front end, is an amazing department to work in as we are the faces the customer last see's when leaving the grocery store. We assure they are leaving with a smile and full satisfaction of individual needs. Management has changed continuously during the time I've worked at Save On Foods, and I can confidently say each individual has taught me about either customer service, image or the history/background of Save On Foods. This allowed me to expand my knowledge and deliver high end service for our customers. The most enjoyable part about working at Save On Foods is the customer appreciation that you have done something that will put a smile on their face. I also enjoy seeing regular customers as they become a familiar face and we are able to have great conversations when being served.
Pros
Communacation with regular customers
Cons
Low Salary
customer serivce great company over all
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCFebruary 10, 2016
great company to work for overall. This was my first REAL job during and after high school great hours and pay great co-workers but company no longer has the same pay or benefit package as before for employees. E. I. I had to take a buy out due to my health reasons. was with company for 13 years. I went back to the company as it was great company to work for before but when I got rehired i was no where close to making a living money. I was very close to minimum wage and not many hours.. its a job for high school students who are living at home not for someone who can live on the wage all alone. great company for high school students but not for adult who has bills to pay and family to feed
fun place to work and everyone was friendly
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCApril 4, 2016
Helped everyone out when needed help and greeted customers everyday. the pay was great and i loved working with everyone there. i gained a lot of customer service skills and working in fast paste environments. i love working with people
Pros
great environment and pay
Cons
too far
I honestly quite liked it.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJuly 8, 2016
I honestly really liked working in that environment. My manager was great and my coworkers were helpful and kind. They gave me constructive criticism and helped me out when i was having a rough time. So, overall i really liked working there.
Great Place to Work...Not A Lot of Room for Growth
Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BCMay 14, 2016
A typical day at work starts with a great attitude. I have learned how to serve customers more efficiently and I've learned how to try and keep every single person happy. Management is great. They're fair, and non-judgmental.
need to be more flexible with time off
Meat cutter/ deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BCJune 24, 2016
i did not like how the scheduling works, life happens, if I needed time off, it was really hard to just hand my shift off to someone that worked in my department, because it goes by seniority, it made it rally hard
fun work place
Sales Person & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BCFebruary 18, 2016
 Over 5 years of experience as a cashier & customer service at Save on foods
 To obtain a position in your Institution- Entry Level-in order to utilize my skills and knowledge, as well as, to enjoy the positive and fruitful environment that your place is offering.
 Excellent customer service