Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Very flexable with hours when working part time
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2017
Good place to work if you don't mind a little "office drama" here and there.

Wouldn't recommend for a full time job unless you're hoping for a management position at some point and if so its very political; kind of a who you know not what you know.

Hardest part of the job is that its very repetitive and obviously dealing with customers can be brutal.

Most enjoyable part of the job can be coworkers if you get along with them and even if you don't its still decent.
This company is well managed and treats their employees with respect and thoughtfulness
Floral, Produce, and Cut Fruit Worker (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB14 March 2017
This company is pleasant to work for. They treat team members with respect, and are organized, train employees well, consider requests made for time off for doctor visits/holidays. They do not overload employees with work that cannot reasonably be accomplished during their time shift. They are prompt in keeping online information of team members working hours posted. they give raises every 500 hours. After training, they give employees respect to carry out their jobs without daily continued harassment, that has occurred in other jobs I have worked at.
Great environment but hectic schedule
Part-time Cashier - Summer Job (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC6 March 2017
I worked at the Save on in Sahali (Kamloops). The staff were great and friendly (most of them) and management was okay, but the schedule was the only thing I had an issue with. If you needed a day of you couldn't ask for it if it was within 3 weeks of the current date, and the schedule was CONSTANTLY changing; you had to check every time online before you went into work to see if you were still actually working.
Pros
Free food in the break room, 3 breaks/day (15, 30, 15)
Cons
bad schedule
Poor management, misleading interview, lies non flexible
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC23 February 2017
Interviewer lies about job details. Not flexible for student (need to be available ANY TIME not in school with official letter) graveyard required for everyone at some point (even when told otherwise in interview) management not willing to solve problems, half of them are not friendly,managers/supervisors. It's no wonder they have a high turnover rate. Also not environmentally friendly they have a compost but tons of food scrapes/expired food is just thrown in with plastic and non biodegradable stuff.
Pros
Two 15 minute breaks one 30
Cons
Bad management, liars, don't solve issues employees have
Great place for learning skills and starting out
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC11 March 2017
Was my first official paying job, thus I learned a lot about customer service, staying active and positive, learning how to manage cash, customers and phone calls.
Training went well and was thorough, lots of help was provided when needed.
Was busy as a cashier and learned to be conditioned to a constant stream of work.
Gained insight through conversations with customers as well as the great management team who were very caring.
Overall great place to work, clean and tidy
Pros
Many positions to choose from
Cons
May be victimised to scams by customers (Happened to me)
It is an extremely flexible job with no potential
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 February 2017
I find my job to be enjoyable when just following simple orders and performing the basic task. New workers are paid $11/hr.
I learned that workers with XX years of experience are paid 3 times amount of a new worker.
My store manager is completely clueless when it comes to managing people. He probably can manage the store but when it comes to connecting with the workers, he is on another planet. Not relatable and condescending.
Workplace culture: Terrible. People are overworked and tired. Everyone is always in a bad mood.
Pros
Simple job
Cons
Management is terrible
Save on Foods
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, B.C14 March 2017
A typical day at work requires just baking and making cakes. I work in the bakery, but there is a lot of heavy lifting which I consider the hardest part of my job. Our management is consistently changing so there are new rules and regulations every time a new manager comes in. I learned that its hard to adjust to a different work condition depending on new management, but I am always willing to learn. I enjoy working with all my employees, there are many students that work part time like me. Since were all so close in age, it makes the work place more enjoyable.
Pros
monthly lunch provided by our manager.
Cons
Busy on weekends which gets tiring.
Productive workplace, needed better management review process
Supervisor of Dairy department (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2017
Typical day was hard-working but not over the top difficulty. Fairly structured routines. Learned how to receive freight, how to deal with customers well. Managers were either great or terrible, no real in between, and the manager interview process needed to be reviewed as there were many incompetent managers. Hardest part of the job would be receiving freight with a limited amount of warehouse space. Most enjoyable part was the coworkers.
Pros
Fair break times, occasionally good managers
Coworkers are great! Appreciate my supervisor
Full Time Pharmacy Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2017
A good place to work. Has weaknesses like any other organization, but overall I enjoy where I work. Save On tends to attract a favorable demographic (ie) as opposed to organizations that focus ONLY on price point of the products they sell. Large organization, but privately owned, so feels a little more like a family run operation.
Pros
Small perks like providing employees with fruit in the staff room are nice
Cons
Lower end for compensation, somewhat limited opportunity to move up in rank within the organization
Personal Shopper
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Grandview, BC3 January 2017
3 day weeks quickly become 5 day random scheduled days. Bad training. Worse pay. Full time means you work 40 hours a week but are designated part time, so good luck with promised benefits. So many people hired, even more quit. Everyone at the store, even the union members, wished they could be anywhere else but there. Management had no power to reward hard workers.
Cons
Random hours, no advancement, crumby pay
Its a productive fun place
Customer Service Associate & Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 March 2017
Its a terrific place to work although trying to survive on the salary alone is a tough job. My co workers are understandable and appreciative. Were able to joke around and get the work done. Show your effort and you'll most likely be recognized for it. Its a place I would pass down to a friend of mine just for a great working experience.
Fun Place to work with good staff
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2017
Save on foods is a good place for people getting their first jobs. For the bakery, they expect a lot to be done from the workers alone just from the start. The hardest part of the job was closing because of having so much to do with very little time and being the only worker in bakery every night.
Pros
Was very close by. Easy to get to
Cons
Hours aren't flexible for people in school
Good job
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 December 2016
The staff were great and very hard workers. Management was very good. Salary was a bit low for work I did. Small room for advancement. The days were very repetitive. I did learn however how to stock a grocery store in a timely manner during my short time there. Hardest part of the job was being fast enough and being able to deal with the repetitiveness.
Pros
Consistent hours and management that cares about their workers.
Cons
Work was very repetitive.
Good comapany. Nice people. Horrible scheduling. Needs improvement
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 March 2017
I enjoyed my job there but there were a lot of issues such as not being given a proper schedule but being called in to work every day. The management is nice and easy to talk to. An issue i had was that they never fired anyone. They would rather have bad employees instead of a bad reputation.
It was a wonderful place working with flowers!!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC22 November 2016
It was my very first job into the providing customer service; originally it was the store of Richmond that called me and they asked me if willing to drive back and forth Abbotsford, I was willing but they gave a change in Abbotsford and stayed for 10 years. We did wedding, funeral packages; corsages graduations flowers; customer service;
Pros
I learned alot with the floweres arragetments;
Cons
A person got to do alot of funurals:((
A day in the life on a customer service employee
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 February 2017
At my current job I arrive to work, clock in and start my day depending on which department I am in. If I am on the till I clean up my working area, help customers with their groceries, and direct other employees to which till they will be working at and what they will be doing. At the end of the night I count up the money and place it in a pouch, collect all the tills, lotto, and papers and take it upstairs to the safe. It's a very on the go job where you don't get much time to stand around. Heavy lifting required. I learned a lot while working at this job, including customer service skills, how to deal with many different types of customers, using my judgement, and working well with teammates. The hardest part of my job is the heavy lifting and the non-stop dealing with difficult customers. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with great employees and seeing every day friendly customers.
good learning experience
Cashier and Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC2 March 2017
this is a good company to work for if it is your first job. you learn man skills to get you through life.

I don't believe the management staff was very well trained in dealing with the staff, but i liked working there very much
Cons
constant schedule changes with little to no notice
Loved working as a team
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB21 February 2017
Learned how to work alongside of a professional team. I learned the in's and out's of working in a grocery store/different types of foods. Learned how to work on overall professional status. I was able to take in the benefits of working my own hours.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Standing for 8 hours
n/a
Cashier/ Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 January 2017
Worked sometimes 12-18 hrs.. Learned all that I needed to know in constructing roads. Management was terrible, most sites were poorly supervised. The hardest part of the job was long days and no real days off. The most enjoyable was working outdoors and seeing different towns in Alberta.
Good workplace with good Managers and co-workers
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 January 2017
A typical day of work as a grocery clerk consisted of stocking and facing shelves, checking dates on stock, cleaning shelves and the floors and assisting costumers to the best of your ability. I learned how to read a planogoram, how to properly stock and face product and how to interact with costumers and deal with bad situations should they arise. The management staff was kind, caring and wanted to see the best that I could do. My co-workers were all kind, helpful and made the workdays more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was facing items as some items would often fall down while facing or items would be stocked in the wrong spot. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interactions with the customers and the pride in seeing the quality of my work when finished.
Pros
Friendly managers and co-workers, easy to understand tasks and good environment.
Cons
Short amount of work hours, odd communication on schedule changes.