Save on Foods Employee Review

View all Save on Foods reviews

decent starter job, personal politics unacceptable
Grocery Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sherwood park alberta5 September 2013
good job to start
not enough pay for the BS excepted
personal opinions and personal life events not separated from work enviroment
Pros
decent pay for grade school students
Cons
practically everything else

Other Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 January 2018
Good company to work as a student
Management is not so great. Wrong people get promoted. Store Manager takes advantage of being a mgr. Takes Christmas week off but doesn't allow anyone to take it. Take weekends off but gets upset when others do.
Some of the management is great thou as well.
Advancement opportunities are TONS...especially in Calgary, Manitoba, Saskatchewan & Yukon.
Pros
Advancement.
Cons
Mediocre, morally grey, good for students
Online Shopper (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 January 2018
I am currently an E-Commerce employee at Save On. My job consisted of taking online orders, shopping for the customers, and taking the orders out to the parking lot or ensuring they were delivered. Independent job, but at our location it sometimes can be dull when there's not much to do, or crazy when there's too much to do and not enough staff members to do it.

I have honestly mixed feelings on this job, especially because the department is horrendously understaffed, which has meant that multiple times I've had to pull nightmare shifts because there simply weren't enough people to get the job done, and twice when I tried to call in sick the answer that I got was "You can't do that, there's nobody else here to do your job". Several times, when there were many orders and no other staff members, I worked through all of my breaks (even though that's illegal). I wasn't forced to, but if I took even one break than I would have fallen even more behind, and even when I didn't take any breaks I was there from 6 am to 4:30 PM, one day. When the supervisor finally got there at three, he asked me to stay and work even longer and I reluctantly agreed.

When I told my other supervisor about these insane shifts, she laughed and told me that another coworker had to do the same thing a few days prior. In other words, they're bending the rules at best and breaking the law at worst.

The coworkers in most of the store as amiable, there's a decent break room, but the employees don't receive any discounts. Instead, we get three times the Save On Foods points (useless to me, but apparently
  more... other staff members have gotten great benefits from it). The independence is good, you get to move around, but there's too much time to goof off. I learned basic retail and customer service skills while working there, but the amount of work that they expect out of us sometimes is absolutely unreasonable.

TLDR: Good job for students, the hours are terrible and sometimes the supervisors expect an unreasonable amount of work from us resulting in ten hour shifts. Minimum wage. Fast turnover rate. Freedom and low supervision. Very little training. Don't expect to work there for more than a few months. Easy to get hired, I was hired on the spot. Be aware of boring shifts and absolutely crazy shifts.
Pros
nice coworkers, low supervision
Cons
bad hours, long hours, boring shifts when slow, ridiculously hard shifts when busy, not flexible