Save on Foods Employee Reviews

It is an extremely flexible job with no potential
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 February 2017
I find my job to be enjoyable when just following simple orders and performing the basic task. New workers are paid $11/hr.
I learned that workers with XX years of experience are paid 3 times amount of a new worker.
My store manager is completely clueless when it comes to managing people. He probably can manage the store but when it comes to connecting with the workers, he is on another planet. Not relatable and condescending.
Workplace culture: Terrible. People are overworked and tired. Everyone is always in a bad mood.
Pros
Simple job
Cons
Management is terrible
Was a good team environment, managers for the most part were pretty good and helpful with the staff and myself
Meat Clerk, Grocery Clerk, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC24 February 2017
All in all Save on Foods is a good company for people looking to get into the retail business and provide strong customer service on a regular basis, my experience with Save On Foods thus far has been good and the staff provide a team environment where we all work hard for each other as well as the store itself. Being a hands on person I enjoyed working in the meat department As you are always physically active and moving, and the fast pace of the job I enjoyed doing the most. Cashier is an ideal job for someone who is less Kean on the physical demands of the meat and Grocery departments and more so on the side of socially interacting with customers and providing quality customer service at the front end of the store. Management was overall pretty good at the store and make the store a likeavle work place.
Pros
Good working environment, Good hours, flexible with schedule
Cons
Have to be quick, Have to be strong socially in interacting with customers
Poor management, misleading interview, lies non flexible
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC23 February 2017
Interviewer lies about job details. Not flexible for student (need to be available ANY TIME not in school with official letter) graveyard required for everyone at some point (even when told otherwise in interview) management not willing to solve problems, half of them are not friendly,managers/supervisors. It's no wonder they have a high turnover rate. Also not environmentally friendly they have a compost but tons of food scrapes/expired food is just thrown in with plastic and non biodegradable stuff.
Pros
Two 15 minute breaks one 30
Cons
Bad management, liars, don't solve issues employees have
Stressful with bad managment
Cook (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB22 February 2017
The people who run Save On Foods (not the managers of the Airdrie branch) have next to no regard for their staff. They over charge (meaning they mark up the price for no reason) on almost every single item in store. The department managers are good managers but now we're lucky if we have two people on the floor at a time. You want to get over worked for next to no pay off? Join the Save On Foods team.
Pros
They tell you they are going to move you up.
Cons
They do not move you up, treat you terribly on your worst days.
Loved working as a team
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB21 February 2017
Learned how to work alongside of a professional team. I learned the in's and out's of working in a grocery store/different types of foods. Learned how to work on overall professional status. I was able to take in the benefits of working my own hours.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Standing for 8 hours
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC20 February 2017
Save-On is great for anyone in school. Good at working around your schedule (sports, school, family trips etc). As a cashier the typical day is having lots of conversations with the customers. Sometimes the customers can be hard to deal with.
A day in the life on a customer service employee
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 February 2017
At my current job I arrive to work, clock in and start my day depending on which department I am in. If I am on the till I clean up my working area, help customers with their groceries, and direct other employees to which till they will be working at and what they will be doing. At the end of the night I count up the money and place it in a pouch, collect all the tills, lotto, and papers and take it upstairs to the safe. It's a very on the go job where you don't get much time to stand around. Heavy lifting required. I learned a lot while working at this job, including customer service skills, how to deal with many different types of customers, using my judgement, and working well with teammates. The hardest part of my job is the heavy lifting and the non-stop dealing with difficult customers. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with great employees and seeing every day friendly customers.
summary
Produce Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 February 2017
housing freezer stocking front facing prepping for floor placement fleshing produce keeping produce floor clean and greeting customers on there way in
Productive workplace, needed better management review process
Supervisor of Dairy department (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2017
Typical day was hard-working but not over the top difficulty. Fairly structured routines. Learned how to receive freight, how to deal with customers well. Managers were either great or terrible, no real in between, and the manager interview process needed to be reviewed as there were many incompetent managers. Hardest part of the job would be receiving freight with a limited amount of warehouse space. Most enjoyable part was the coworkers.
Pros
Fair break times, occasionally good managers
Hard working and fast paced environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC25 January 2017
If you enjoy working hard, this is a good job for you. The Salary leaves a little left to be desired, but there is room for advancement within the company.
Fun Place to work with good staff
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2017
Save on foods is a good place for people getting their first jobs. For the bakery, they expect a lot to be done from the workers alone just from the start. The hardest part of the job was closing because of having so much to do with very little time and being the only worker in bakery every night.
Pros
Was very close by. Easy to get to
Cons
Hours aren't flexible for people in school
Good workplace with good Managers and co-workers
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 January 2017
A typical day of work as a grocery clerk consisted of stocking and facing shelves, checking dates on stock, cleaning shelves and the floors and assisting costumers to the best of your ability. I learned how to read a planogoram, how to properly stock and face product and how to interact with costumers and deal with bad situations should they arise. The management staff was kind, caring and wanted to see the best that I could do. My co-workers were all kind, helpful and made the workdays more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was facing items as some items would often fall down while facing or items would be stocked in the wrong spot. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interactions with the customers and the pride in seeing the quality of my work when finished.
Pros
Friendly managers and co-workers, easy to understand tasks and good environment.
Cons
Short amount of work hours, odd communication on schedule changes.
Well oginized
Cashier /Deli (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC16 January 2017
One of the best place I've worked fun. Energy of all employees were vibrant in a joyful to be apart of. All are very welcoming in well of doing a good job.
Coworkers are great! Appreciate my supervisor
Full Time Pharmacy Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2017
A good place to work. Has weaknesses like any other organization, but overall I enjoy where I work. Save On tends to attract a favorable demographic (ie) as opposed to organizations that focus ONLY on price point of the products they sell. Large organization, but privately owned, so feels a little more like a family run operation.
Pros
Small perks like providing employees with fruit in the staff room are nice
Cons
Lower end for compensation, somewhat limited opportunity to move up in rank within the organization
easy and enjoyable work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB9 January 2017
management is always easy to work with as they are here to help everyone. i love working at save on because it is a good starting job for someone who has no experience.
Fun place
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC9 January 2017
Work/life balance is really hard as its a union, hours are based on seniority. Also pay could be a little bit better specially when you work multiple departments.
Pros
great environment
Cons
low pay, long hours, have to work multiple departments
Fun And Productive
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2017
It is a fun place to work at and one can learn about all different departments.
The only drawback is that they are not providing the hours of works that they promised.
n/a
Cashier/ Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 January 2017
Worked sometimes 12-18 hrs.. Learned all that I needed to know in constructing roads. Management was terrible, most sites were poorly supervised. The hardest part of the job was long days and no real days off. The most enjoyable was working outdoors and seeing different towns in Alberta.
Personal Shopper
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Grandview, BC3 January 2017
3 day weeks quickly become 5 day random scheduled days. Bad training. Worse pay. Full time means you work 40 hours a week but are designated part time, so good luck with promised benefits. So many people hired, even more quit. Everyone at the store, even the union members, wished they could be anywhere else but there. Management had no power to reward hard workers.
Cons
Random hours, no advancement, crumby pay
Its okay. A good place to begin your work experience.
Department Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB3 January 2017
Its okay.
A good place to begin your work experience.
I love the place. Its a great place to work for everyone. There is no barrier to growth. You progress as you grow in the company.
Pros
Free lunch, Great team members and management
Cons
NA