Save on Foods Employee Reviews

good environment to work in.
Cashier/stocker (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC16 July 2017
I learned great customer service and great employees. This job was a fantastic first job. The training was great and if I had any question it was answer properly
Great Environment Overall
Grocery Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC12 July 2017
Worked here for 2 years, and overall enjoyed it.
Probably the best coworkers I've had. Job itself can be repetitive though. Would definitely recommend as entry job.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Repetitive work
Experienc
Cashier majority (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 July 2017
Save on Foods was an experience for myself, that exposed me to tough costumers, early mornings, and very late shifts. Management found it difficult to respect my availability, which led me to end my part time job there.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Fun
Cashier and grocery stock (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC7 July 2017
Working at save on foods was very fun and I was able to learn many skills in a faced paced environment. Being around such a great group of people that are very helpful and nice people that do a lot to better the work place.
Love it here
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC6 July 2017
Save on foods is an amazing place to work. Union job hours depend on date of hire but after 6 months you should be getting 40 hours if thats what you are looking for. Benefits are amazing pay is okay but you can move up if you want to move out of where you are. raises every 520 hours like clockwork. they will give you hours worked for previous experience
Old contract had great wages
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby and Richmond, BC4 July 2017
I loved working at Save-On-Foods for over 20 years, but I was on the old contract. Great benefits and I worked at a store with great team mates. Management changes frequently, so if the new manager is awful, only 2 years, and they will be gone.
Productive and positive workplace/environment
general grocer and cashier (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC3 July 2017
On and off busy days. Learned a lot from cashing to general stocking etc. Management is great and responsible at all times. I enjoyed working with the customers and other workers within the community.
Fort and Foul Bay location's scheduling was awful, wages too low to make it worth it
Coffee shop clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 June 2017
I pride myself on my work ethic, but I couldn't deal with how they managed things there. People don't leave jobs, they leave poor managers.

I worked in the coffee shop in the Save On. My problem wasn't with the job itself, although I can't say I liked the work (the day's felt long, especially when I had to spend hours in the freezer getting supplies and freezing my toes and fingers until they legitimately hurt. The gloves and coat they give you are nothing, and I come from a place famous for its snow and ski hill so I'm used to the cold. It sucked, but it was part of the job so I did it without complaining). My main issue was the terrible scheduling, and I finally got fed up and quit because of it.

The first shift I had after my orientation, I wasn't put on the schedule at all. They called one morning asking where I was and when I said I looked at the schedule and didn't see a shift, they said it was because I was still in training. Sure, but how am I supposed to know to show up when no one tells me? It made no sense, and I spent my training constantly checking and asking when I would work next to make sure. I thought it was the end of the constant changes when I started seeing my schedules online.

They were good enough to not schedule me on the days I wasn't available, but on the days I was they would change my shifts two or three times so it would be extremely difficult for me to make any sort of plans around my shifts. Since I had two jobs this was very frustrating, because I needed to know when I could get errands done. They would never ask me if it was okay to
  more... change my shifts after the original schedule was posted, and would only call me and leave a message letting me know they had changed it (they always called while I was at my other job).

The final straw was when they changed my shift for today without giving me any notification at all, before or after the fact. I showed up for my original shift only to find out that I was apparently 3 hours early because they changed my shift and didn't tell me. I was angry about having wasted my whole day and the plans I made for Tuesday as that shift had been changed without notice as well, so I finally decided I wasn't getting paid enough to deal with that much messing around with my schedule, especially with a considerable portion of my paycheck going to a union that doesn't do enough to justify the loss of wage. (I plan on seeing if I can still file a grievance). So I quit.

The best part is during the interview and orientation they bragged about how we would know our schedules 3 weeks ahead of time. What's the point of uploading a schedule if you're just going to keep changing it until the day before a shift?

I would never recommend working at the Save On on Fort and Foul to my worst enemy. Unless you're completely desperate for work, I wouldn't apply there.

The people that work there are friendly and welcoming, but management and scheduling are poor, and I constantly had to track them down just to sign in and out for the day because they couldn't figure out my schedule.

It's no wonder people who work there quit all the time.
Pros
Free fruit and etc. in break room
Cons
Poor scheduling, long days, others
Really negative place to work
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 June 2017
Having previously worked at both Superstore and Safeway I can honestly say this is the worst Grocery Chain to work for hands down. Store management is horrible which has led to high employee turn over and a lack of training means if you do have previous experience you are expected to carry the workload as the inexperienced teen agers they hire stand around checking their cellphones to see how long till their next break.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, terrible hours, bad management
So-so
Department Specialist in Grocery (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB21 June 2017
Middle management changes frequently, friction between departments, dusty warehouse, late orders, indifference to when people shirk responsibilities onto others. Management can sometimes contradict each other with their instructions. Safe work environment, generally friendly people, interpersonal trust. Often the break room has free food. Staff discount for Chinese food, as well as monthly perks through More Rewards program
Pros
free food in break room
Cons
conflicting instructions
fun place to work
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 June 2017
the manager were very nice there they would help you when you would need it tell you what to do so you would never just stand there the whole place was filled with energy no negativity
False accusation/ Devistationg Job Loss
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Parksville, BC18 June 2017
This was a wonderful Job for 9 years, It was apart of me, like family.
I was wrongfully terminated and fought with union to rectify, awaiting appeal verdict. Unfortunately I made an error that I didn't realise sad part it was as a customer not at work that caused my termination. I had a unblemished work record and great customer service. I had a great boss that knew and trusted my work ethic and dedication. I was very dedicated and believed in company. Unfortunately a new boss with his own ways deflated our team spirit and many of us lost jobs or chose to go else ware. I had a great 9 yrs prior to this and take with me many wonderful skills and experiences.
Pros
Good Team members
Cons
Hard work, long hours on feet, turn over of staff.
Management was good and bad the store that I worked at went through 5 main store managers some were easier to work for then others
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 June 2017
I worked in dairy cooler it was pretty quiet as cooler fans blasted inside the cooler?By far the hardest part about this area was double order days went I would have 2 pallets of dairy freight come in as well as 5-6 pallet of milk and the rotation of it all was tuff as I worked alone most days.That being said was also my favourite part about the job it was over pretty quick as time flew by.
Pros
Cool area for working in summer time
Cons
No ot - over time at all
Award nights
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vernon BC6 June 2017
Parttime
Busy
Communicate more
Was working with the associates
Helpin the Customers
Hard to get time off
Dealing with stressful situations
Pros
Christmas parties
Cons
Lack of communication with management
Reliable
Food Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, AB5 June 2017
They look after their people and are upfront. Hours can be a bit wonky, but are fair overall, and the people, both employees and management are good and supportive.
Told being a good employee and never missing a shift counts for nothing!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB30 May 2017
Horrible place to work!! Expect so much from older employees, but let the teenagers run wild! Play favoritism with family members that work at various stores. If my mom would have worked at save on foods for 30 years, I would immediately qualify as management!!! Not fair to people who are actually qualified. They base hours on availability and not work performance. I was available for full time hours, but not past 7pm as I have small children...I was given 7.5 hours a week. ridiculous!! When I asked for more hours, and explained I could not support my children on 80 bucks a week, they said only the people with open availability get the hours!! That, being a good and loyal employee meant nothing!!! The management team in the Okotoks store have absolutely no clue, and will always have a high turn over of employees, the store has only been opened for 4 months and they are already on their second hiring wave!!! If you value yourself at all...do not work there!!! The best part of the day was going home!
Cons
no benifits
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC27 May 2017
Save On is a friendly secure place to work. Staff is easy to get along with. Customers are friends. I would recommend Save On to students. Good cashier job.
Good part-time job to get you some money
Personal shopper, Online Shopping (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC26 May 2017
Our store management team is good with scheduling and accommodating all possible RTO or hours change requests. People I work with are mostly great, fun and friendly. Pay is low, I don't think anybody can survive on it, only good as a supplement or second income.
Pros
Free fruits in a lunchroom
Cons
Low pay
work
Cashier/Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BC26 May 2017
have lockers for employees
many part timers
work seems to go by fast when its busy
when its not busy its difficult to stay busy because of procedures and senority
Great Place
Restaurant Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 May 2017
-Fresh products
-Clean store
-Stocked Shelves
-Friendly Staff
-Help customers locate products
-Store can get busy depening on the time of day/week/year
Pros
Cons
Not given enough hours to meet basic needs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval