Save on Foods Employee Reviews

This company is well managed and treats their employees with respect and thoughtfulness
Floral, Produce, and Cut Fruit Worker (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB14 March 2017
This company is pleasant to work for. They treat team members with respect, and are organized, train employees well, consider requests made for time off for doctor visits/holidays. They do not overload employees with work that cannot reasonably be accomplished during their time shift. They are prompt in keeping online information of team members working hours posted. they give raises every 500 hours. After training, they give employees respect to carry out their jobs without daily continued harassment, that has occurred in other jobs I have worked at.
Personal Shopper
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Grandview, BC3 January 2017
3 day weeks quickly become 5 day random scheduled days. Bad training. Worse pay. Full time means you work 40 hours a week but are designated part time, so good luck with promised benefits. So many people hired, even more quit. Everyone at the store, even the union members, wished they could be anywhere else but there. Management had no power to reward hard workers.
Cons
Random hours, no advancement, crumby pay
Good job
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 December 2016
The staff were great and very hard workers. Management was very good. Salary was a bit low for work I did. Small room for advancement. The days were very repetitive. I did learn however how to stock a grocery store in a timely manner during my short time there. Hardest part of the job was being fast enough and being able to deal with the repetitiveness.
Pros
Consistent hours and management that cares about their workers.
Cons
Work was very repetitive.
Was a good team environment, managers for the most part were pretty good and helpful with the staff and myself
Meat Clerk, Grocery Clerk, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC24 February 2017
All in all Save on Foods is a good company for people looking to get into the retail business and provide strong customer service on a regular basis, my experience with Save On Foods thus far has been good and the staff provide a team environment where we all work hard for each other as well as the store itself. Being a hands on person I enjoyed working in the meat department As you are always physically active and moving, and the fast pace of the job I enjoyed doing the most. Cashier is an ideal job for someone who is less Kean on the physical demands of the meat and Grocery departments and more so on the side of socially interacting with customers and providing quality customer service at the front end of the store. Management was overall pretty good at the store and make the store a likeavle work place.
Pros
Good working environment, Good hours, flexible with schedule
Cons
Have to be quick, Have to be strong socially in interacting with customers
It is an extremely flexible job with no potential
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 February 2017
I find my job to be enjoyable when just following simple orders and performing the basic task. New workers are paid $11/hr.
I learned that workers with XX years of experience are paid 3 times amount of a new worker.
My store manager is completely clueless when it comes to managing people. He probably can manage the store but when it comes to connecting with the workers, he is on another planet. Not relatable and condescending.
Workplace culture: Terrible. People are overworked and tired. Everyone is always in a bad mood.
Pros
Simple job
Cons
Management is terrible
An Overall Steady Job
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB4 August 2016
Serves good for a first job and I've learnt to work efficiently and co-operatively, to manage my time well within my shift to complete tasks, and to be responsible for my own safety. Most days are quite standard and predictable as you would expect from a grocery store. There is a heavy load of packaging to be done most days but is still manageable along with other tasks. My co-workers most of the time are helpful and positive individuals who work hard and are considerate of others. The hardest parts of the job are managing time and product during sales or large orders as it can create a stressful and fast paced work day. The most enjoyable aspects of working for Save On Foods is the organization of the company/store in terms of payment of employees and scheduling as they do provide an online schedule. The biggest issue i have with working at Save On Foods is the payment/pay scale. Opportunity to move up and/or receive a pay increase are difficult and when a raise is earned its quite minuscule.
Pros
payment always on time, organized, online schedules, free food
Cons
poor pay/raises, monotonous work
Good comapany. Nice people. Horrible scheduling. Needs improvement
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 March 2017
I enjoyed my job there but there were a lot of issues such as not being given a proper schedule but being called in to work every day. The management is nice and easy to talk to. An issue i had was that they never fired anyone. They would rather have bad employees instead of a bad reputation.
Good workplace with good Managers and co-workers
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 January 2017
A typical day of work as a grocery clerk consisted of stocking and facing shelves, checking dates on stock, cleaning shelves and the floors and assisting costumers to the best of your ability. I learned how to read a planogoram, how to properly stock and face product and how to interact with costumers and deal with bad situations should they arise. The management staff was kind, caring and wanted to see the best that I could do. My co-workers were all kind, helpful and made the workdays more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was facing items as some items would often fall down while facing or items would be stocked in the wrong spot. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interactions with the customers and the pride in seeing the quality of my work when finished.
Pros
Friendly managers and co-workers, easy to understand tasks and good environment.
Cons
Short amount of work hours, odd communication on schedule changes.
Poor management, misleading interview, lies non flexible
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC23 February 2017
Interviewer lies about job details. Not flexible for student (need to be available ANY TIME not in school with official letter) graveyard required for everyone at some point (even when told otherwise in interview) management not willing to solve problems, half of them are not friendly,managers/supervisors. It's no wonder they have a high turnover rate. Also not environmentally friendly they have a compost but tons of food scrapes/expired food is just thrown in with plastic and non biodegradable stuff.
Pros
Two 15 minute breaks one 30
Cons
Bad management, liars, don't solve issues employees have
Save on Foods
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, B.C14 March 2017
A typical day at work requires just baking and making cakes. I work in the bakery, but there is a lot of heavy lifting which I consider the hardest part of my job. Our management is consistently changing so there are new rules and regulations every time a new manager comes in. I learned that its hard to adjust to a different work condition depending on new management, but I am always willing to learn. I enjoy working with all my employees, there are many students that work part time like me. Since were all so close in age, it makes the work place more enjoyable.
Pros
monthly lunch provided by our manager.
Cons
Busy on weekends which gets tiring.
Hard working and fast paced environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC25 January 2017
If you enjoy working hard, this is a good job for you. The Salary leaves a little left to be desired, but there is room for advancement within the company.
Grocery Manager
Grocery Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 September 2016

Grocery Manager is in charge of hiring and training his staff, scheduling, Meet and projecting financial budgets. Proper merchandising, Stays in touch with Community Support, Making sure Store operations are met everyday
Sometimes going to a new store can be challenging every store does somethings a little bit different also adapting to other Manager types.

I enjoy everything about the Position.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Great place for learning skills and starting out
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC11 March 2017
Was my first official paying job, thus I learned a lot about customer service, staying active and positive, learning how to manage cash, customers and phone calls.
Training went well and was thorough, lots of help was provided when needed.
Was busy as a cashier and learned to be conditioned to a constant stream of work.
Gained insight through conversations with customers as well as the great management team who were very caring.
Overall great place to work, clean and tidy
Pros
Many positions to choose from
Cons
May be victimised to scams by customers (Happened to me)
Coworkers are great! Appreciate my supervisor
Full Time Pharmacy Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2017
A good place to work. Has weaknesses like any other organization, but overall I enjoy where I work. Save On tends to attract a favorable demographic (ie) as opposed to organizations that focus ONLY on price point of the products they sell. Large organization, but privately owned, so feels a little more like a family run operation.
Pros
Small perks like providing employees with fruit in the staff room are nice
Cons
Lower end for compensation, somewhat limited opportunity to move up in rank within the organization
A fun work place
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BC28 September 2016
A really fun place to work with team members, developing skills and having a lot of independence working in different departments. The hardest part of the job was being able to multitask in the deli by doing the production and also serving the customers. management was strict but also fair, they would encourage us to determine our goals bigger and better.
Pros
benefits for longer employment
Great environment but hectic schedule
Part-time Cashier - Summer Job (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC6 March 2017
I worked at the Save on in Sahali (Kamloops). The staff were great and friendly (most of them) and management was okay, but the schedule was the only thing I had an issue with. If you needed a day of you couldn't ask for it if it was within 3 weeks of the current date, and the schedule was CONSTANTLY changing; you had to check every time online before you went into work to see if you were still actually working.
Pros
Free food in the break room, 3 breaks/day (15, 30, 15)
Cons
bad schedule
Very flexable with hours when working part time
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2017
Good place to work if you don't mind a little "office drama" here and there.

Wouldn't recommend for a full time job unless you're hoping for a management position at some point and if so its very political; kind of a who you know not what you know.

Hardest part of the job is that its very repetitive and obviously dealing with customers can be brutal.

Most enjoyable part of the job can be coworkers if you get along with them and even if you don't its still decent.
Great co-workers
general clerk (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC30 August 2016
My fellow staff members were mainly a wonderful bunch..meeting for coffee even outside of the workplace. Hard with the rotation of management in and out of the store..The wait of 1 full year for benefits and pay increases hard on a family
Pros
great co-workers, goodies at times, wonderful get togethers for fundraising
Cons
dept rotations, no consistant management as they get rotated out, long wait for benefits
Great first job and place to meet and make friends with common goals
Bakery Clerk/ General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC30 December 2016
I worked at Save On Foods #968 (Hart location) from July 2013 to December 24 2016. I was trained as a bakery clerk, working mostly 1:30 to 10 closing-shifts. I loved the bakery staff and have made many longlasting friendships while employed there. It was a wonderful first job, but I am a student and found requesting anytime off was difficult as upper-management did not think of post-secondary as important nor having a life outside of work. The hardest part of the job was not being taken seriously as a young adult. The most enjoyable part of the job was the actual work I did. A typical closing shift included: slicing bread, labelling and shelving the bread, traying and glazing pies, traying cookies, traying all products for the following day, making garlic bread, packaging leftover items from the "showcase bins" and extensive cleaning of the department. One typically works alone from 5 pm to 10 pm during a Bakery closing shift. Throughout my time at Save-On I was also trained as a cashier, grocery clerk and general clerk.
Pros
opportunities to advance, great "team" atmosphere
Cons
unsympathetic management
Its a productive fun place
Customer Service Associate & Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 March 2017
Its a terrific place to work although trying to survive on the salary alone is a tough job. My co workers are understandable and appreciative. Were able to joke around and get the work done. Show your effort and you'll most likely be recognized for it. Its a place I would pass down to a friend of mine just for a great working experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.