Save on Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

Save on is one of the top company that i really admire, they usually does the their customer needs.
Part Time Cashier (Current Employee) –  Squamish, BCApril 2, 2016
I just started at save on as a part time, i do like there, they all nice the management, my co worker and even the customer, i enjoyed most. when i met different kind of people, sharing their thoughts and sometimes an out of the blue stuff, but that's ok i enjoyed, listening to them.
Pros
extra 15 mins break and free treat (fruits)
Cons
sometimes if they ask you to have an over time, but your so tired an exhausted.
Good career for retail foods
Shipper Receiver (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMarch 30, 2016
Typical retail store
Unioned
You learned many new skills that will carry thru to other jobs if needed.
Management is great, they listen and help if need to and are willing to work right beside you to get the job done.
Most enjoyable part of the job is the knowledge you acquire and the different jobs you can learn with in the job.
Pros
Friendly envroment
Cons
Retail
Great starter job
Produce Department Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 8, 2016
Great company, lots of opportunity to advance, pay increase every 500 hours and great benefits and discounts are okay. Overall i recommend
Pros
Good union, career advancement, good benefits
Cons
Fun place to work decent pay plus bennefits
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCJune 5, 2016
I worked at save on foods for 3.5 years. They were honestly the best, most fun times I've ever had. Very relaxed work environment, but when there was work to e done everyone kicked in to gear.
Able to very easily balance life and work as schedules come out 3 weeks in advance.
Pay is weekly
Management is awesome and if you need a certain day off all you have to do is ask and they will generally give it to you.
There is some bitterness from the older employees, butbthe use making $30/hour plus so they really shouldn't be complaining.
You get the odd customer who is unruly but overall my experience was awesome. If I didn't lose my seniority and rate of pay when I quit I'd go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
Bennefits (health and dental), good management, time off
Cons
Some bitterness from older employees
A good job for high school students doing part time.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 8, 2016
typical day at work is finishing all of the freight that comes in and then facing the entire store before closing.
things I learned : memorized all of the aisles of which foods are in, how grocery stores are run.
management is okay. they are helpful and focused but also very unorganized and they do not have set schedules. you work all hours of any day.
my co workers are great people, work hard, very easy to communicate, I consider them my friends.
the hardest part of the job is working in the freezer alone and having to do all of the frozen freight alone within one shift and lifting really heavy boxes without any help.
the most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with.
Pros
the co workers are very pleasent to be around.
Cons
no permanent set hours. call you in to work on your day off. Ask alot of one person. expect too much
A job perfect for those with no life outside of work
Meat Clerk and cashier (Former Employee) –  Fleetwood, BCJuly 11, 2016
They started cutting hours severely to the point where we didn't have enough people to run the department properly which resulted in overly stressed works going at each other.
There was no one to train new employees in the meat depart
ment so you very much felt like you were just thrown to the wolves. Most of my coworkers were really nice and easy to get along with how ever there was one that contentiously caused problems yet was never truly reported to head office for it.
The good things about the job was learning new things and meeting new people
Pros
Most costumers were really nice
Cons
must be at their beck and call constantly changing your schedule
Fun place
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCMarch 20, 2016
The job is fun overall, however the management is not understanding of your school life. The team members are easy to get along with and they all enjoy interacting with the customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is the close team us employees are.
Procudctive and Friendly Work Enviroment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 10, 2016
Save on Foods, specifically the front end, is an amazing department to work in as we are the faces the customer last see's when leaving the grocery store. We assure they are leaving with a smile and full satisfaction of individual needs. Management has changed continuously during the time I've worked at Save On Foods, and I can confidently say each individual has taught me about either customer service, image or the history/background of Save On Foods. This allowed me to expand my knowledge and deliver high end service for our customers. The most enjoyable part about working at Save On Foods is the customer appreciation that you have done something that will put a smile on their face. I also enjoy seeing regular customers as they become a familiar face and we are able to have great conversations when being served.
Pros
Communacation with regular customers
Cons
Low Salary
Great atmosphere to work in; I learned a lot about customer service and people were friendly.
produce associate (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 9, 2016
typical day I would walk in, get ready for work, they would all be welcoming and friendly; and there was no complications between areas of work (Example: Between Bakery and Produce). I would go on break usually on time. Once or twice I nearly missed lunch due to a rush hour but manager was forgiving.
I learned the importance of being reliable, worth ethic, how to stock properly, how to adapt to a new environment, and to ask questions.
The assistant manager had some of the best costumer service skills I had ever seen. Somebody I wanted to impress. My manager made me feel like he didn't like me, but he did his job well.
All co workers were friendly. Conversation easily flowed between me and whomever I was working near. Something I quite wasn't used to.
I found the pace and the amount of work to be done quite hard.
The most enjoyable was the atmosphere and the people I worked with.
Pros
Friendly co workers, forgiving manager, friendly customers, free food in break room, tv in break room
Cons
Long hours, fast paced, overwhelming, the rare rude customer, still not sure why I was terminated.
The employees and management are all fun and nice people, but the work is tedious and boring.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMay 26, 2016
Stocking shelves is not a fun job to have. It's painfully boring, hard to enjoy, and sometimes exhausting work. But the other employees are fun and interesting people, which helps with the boredom. The management seems like they don't know what they're doing, but they are all courteous and nice people. The best part of the job is definitely helping customers and talking to people, whether they be customers or employees. It's a very social work environment.
Pros
Social, easy
Cons
Boring, sometimes physically tasking.
Happy place to work
3rd Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 17, 2015
Nice place to work. Super clean out of any grocery store I have shopped at. Super friendly staff and always willing to help. Loved working with my employees.
Pros
Staff were great
Cons
Raise increase sucks every 500hrs. When I worked there 4 years, All I got was an $1.50 raise..
customer serivce great company over all
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCFebruary 10, 2016
great company to work for overall. This was my first REAL job during and after high school great hours and pay great co-workers but company no longer has the same pay or benefit package as before for employees. E. I. I had to take a buy out due to my health reasons. was with company for 13 years. I went back to the company as it was great company to work for before but when I got rehired i was no where close to making a living money. I was very close to minimum wage and not many hours.. its a job for high school students who are living at home not for someone who can live on the wage all alone. great company for high school students but not for adult who has bills to pay and family to feed
Unbelievable management!
Bakery Department Employee (Former Employee) –  Fort St. JohnJuly 11, 2015
To me, management is the key to a successful work force. In order for the employee to continue to do labor for corporation or organization, they desire to have their demands met. Sadly up in Fort St. Johns, B.C. Canada there's no such thing. Many of my peers and I quit due to unfair management, one throwing me back on probation for not making it to work the day I fell down the stairs with a DOCTORS EXCUSE! Was simply given a strike, told if it happens again "people like me" tend to not last for long. I complained to the Union however I haven't heard much back so far. If you can, AVOID this branch for employment!
Pros
Great discounts on store merchandise.
Cons
Long hours, unfair hours, never feel as if opinion is voiced, etc.
Fun Work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABMarch 2, 2016
A good place to work just do not get a sufficient amount of hours.
Always keeps you busy
Good interaction with people
Many different things to do
Deal with money and interac
Management is friendly
A highly cooperative and fun environment to work within.
Deli Clerk and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BCJune 28, 2016
A typical day at work would be managing the tills and working with the team members to provide the customers with the best customer service possible. Everyday is exciting and fun. The management team does an amazing job. Especially the store manager; manages everything and everyone at the store efficiently and in an organized way. The environment is quite lite and fun.
Lack of Organization
cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 4, 2015
I learned nothing for lack of training. They said I would get part time hours which meant one 8 hour shift once biweekly (until training happened, which never did). Management does not communicate together nor do they really respect staff. The co-workers are very helpful and understanding. The hardest part of the job is keeping manager happy. The most enjoyable part is the customers. I saw on here that it was a fun, enjoyable place to work. Wow, was I wrong!
Pros
Customers
Cons
Miscommunications, stressful
Fun and productive workplace
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Aldergrove, BCNovember 8, 2015
At Save On Foods we're like a family.
For me it's a home away from home. Everyone is extremely friendly and always in a happy mood. If i'm ever feeling down I can count on the staff to turn my mood around. There's always something to do so you're always occupied, management makes sure of that. Management is absolutely amazing, always making sure everything is okay. I've learned so much through out my experience.
Pros
Staff draws every 2nd week
Cons
Scattered hours
decent place to work
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCJune 28, 2016
It was decent, a good job for a part-time student. Not for full time. Not easy to get ahold of management, they don't know you even when you have worked there for over a year. Otherwise, good job. Understaffed at times and hard to do your job with the time given.
Pros
scheduling in advance, many awesome coworkers, seniority
Cons
late hours, not great management, big company so hard to get to know management.
Bad
Cashier­ help customers (Former Employee) –  Newton, BCJanuary 3, 2016
hardest job ever. very bad mangement, Everything was done by politics in the store. employees were fun to talk to but would say stuff behind your back. overall wouldnt recommend the job
fun place to work
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2016
Stocking the grocery shelves. Helping customers find what they are looking for. The management was great and loved working with everybody. Dealing with the puplic was fun. The only thing that was hard about it was that I didn't realize how heavy liquid could be. Loved everything about the job.
Pros
Free food in the lunch room
Cons
the hours