Save on Foods Employee Reviews

This company is well managed and treats their employees with respect and thoughtfulness
Floral, Produce, and Cut Fruit Worker (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB14 March 2017
This company is pleasant to work for. They treat team members with respect, and are organized, train employees well, consider requests made for time off for doctor visits/holidays. They do not overload employees with work that cannot reasonably be accomplished during their time shift. They are prompt in keeping online information of team members working hours posted. they give raises every 500 hours. After training, they give employees respect to carry out their jobs without daily continued harassment, that has occurred in other jobs I have worked at.
Coworkers are great! Appreciate my supervisor
Full Time Pharmacy Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2017
A good place to work. Has weaknesses like any other organization, but overall I enjoy where I work. Save On tends to attract a favorable demographic (ie) as opposed to organizations that focus ONLY on price point of the products they sell. Large organization, but privately owned, so feels a little more like a family run operation.
Pros
Small perks like providing employees with fruit in the staff room are nice
Cons
Lower end for compensation, somewhat limited opportunity to move up in rank within the organization
Personal Shopper
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Grandview, BC3 January 2017
3 day weeks quickly become 5 day random scheduled days. Bad training. Worse pay. Full time means you work 40 hours a week but are designated part time, so good luck with promised benefits. So many people hired, even more quit. Everyone at the store, even the union members, wished they could be anywhere else but there. Management had no power to reward hard workers.
Cons
Random hours, no advancement, crumby pay
Good job
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 December 2016
The staff were great and very hard workers. Management was very good. Salary was a bit low for work I did. Small room for advancement. The days were very repetitive. I did learn however how to stock a grocery store in a timely manner during my short time there. Hardest part of the job was being fast enough and being able to deal with the repetitiveness.
Pros
Consistent hours and management that cares about their workers.
Cons
Work was very repetitive.
Its a productive fun place
Customer Service Associate & Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 March 2017
Its a terrific place to work although trying to survive on the salary alone is a tough job. My co workers are understandable and appreciative. Were able to joke around and get the work done. Show your effort and you'll most likely be recognized for it. Its a place I would pass down to a friend of mine just for a great working experience.
Grocery Manager
Grocery Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 September 2016

Grocery Manager is in charge of hiring and training his staff, scheduling, Meet and projecting financial budgets. Proper merchandising, Stays in touch with Community Support, Making sure Store operations are met everyday
Sometimes going to a new store can be challenging every store does somethings a little bit different also adapting to other Manager types.

I enjoy everything about the Position.
Pros
Salary
An Overall Steady Job
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB4 August 2016
Serves good for a first job and I've learnt to work efficiently and co-operatively, to manage my time well within my shift to complete tasks, and to be responsible for my own safety. Most days are quite standard and predictable as you would expect from a grocery store. There is a heavy load of packaging to be done most days but is still manageable along with other tasks. My co-workers most of the time are helpful and positive individuals who work hard and are considerate of others. The hardest parts of the job are managing time and product during sales or large orders as it can create a stressful and fast paced work day. The most enjoyable aspects of working for Save On Foods is the organization of the company/store in terms of payment of employees and scheduling as they do provide an online schedule. The biggest issue i have with working at Save On Foods is the payment/pay scale. Opportunity to move up and/or receive a pay increase are difficult and when a raise is earned its quite minuscule.
Pros
payment always on time, organized, online schedules, free food
Cons
poor pay/raises, monotonous work
Pro: Friendly Environment Cons: Minimum Wage, Understaffed, Untrained, and flawed System of Management
Restuarant Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC16 August 2016
Serving, baking, dishwashing, and prepackaging of items at the workplace for customers. Friendly co-workers for the most part. Being in a seniority system. Hardest part being understaffed and not being just a restuarant clerk but a cleaner, food prepper, and cashier as well. Having minimum wage, and dealing with industrial chemicals that's toxic and causes cancer as well as other cleaning chemicals that may cause skin allergies, burns from unexpected places. Has a lot of hazards at the work environment. Best part of the job is being able to be yourself.
Pros
Friendly environment, steady work environment, stable job, slight benefits for buying or joining clubs.
Cons
Lack of Safety in environment, dealing with industrial chemicals, medical benefits cover 1 year later, minimum wage, working overtime.
Loved working as a team
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB21 February 2017
Learned how to work alongside of a professional team. I learned the in's and out's of working in a grocery store/different types of foods. Learned how to work on overall professional status. I was able to take in the benefits of working my own hours.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Standing for 8 hours
Hard working and fast paced environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC25 January 2017
If you enjoy working hard, this is a good job for you. The Salary leaves a little left to be desired, but there is room for advancement within the company.
A fun work place
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BC28 September 2016
A really fun place to work with team members, developing skills and having a lot of independence working in different departments. The hardest part of the job was being able to multitask in the deli by doing the production and also serving the customers. management was strict but also fair, they would encourage us to determine our goals bigger and better.
Pros
benefits for longer employment
Good Entry Level Position
Cashier / General Clerk (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC18 December 2016
Typical entry level job with very basic benefits. Good for starters, or those wishing to pursue a part time job, in addition to something else. Good environment overall.
Great co-workers
general clerk (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC30 August 2016
My fellow staff members were mainly a wonderful bunch..meeting for coffee even outside of the workplace. Hard with the rotation of management in and out of the store..The wait of 1 full year for benefits and pay increases hard on a family
Pros
great co-workers, goodies at times, wonderful get togethers for fundraising
Cons
dept rotations, no consistant management as they get rotated out, long wait for benefits
Was a good team environment, managers for the most part were pretty good and helpful with the staff and myself
Meat Clerk, Grocery Clerk, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC24 February 2017
All in all Save on Foods is a good company for people looking to get into the retail business and provide strong customer service on a regular basis, my experience with Save On Foods thus far has been good and the staff provide a team environment where we all work hard for each other as well as the store itself. Being a hands on person I enjoyed working in the meat department As you are always physically active and moving, and the fast pace of the job I enjoyed doing the most. Cashier is an ideal job for someone who is less Kean on the physical demands of the meat and Grocery departments and more so on the side of socially interacting with customers and providing quality customer service at the front end of the store. Management was overall pretty good at the store and make the store a likeavle work place.
Pros
Good working environment, Good hours, flexible with schedule
Cons
Have to be quick, Have to be strong socially in interacting with customers
It is an extremely flexible job with no potential
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 February 2017
I find my job to be enjoyable when just following simple orders and performing the basic task. New workers are paid $11/hr.
I learned that workers with XX years of experience are paid 3 times amount of a new worker.
My store manager is completely clueless when it comes to managing people. He probably can manage the store but when it comes to connecting with the workers, he is on another planet. Not relatable and condescending.
Workplace culture: Terrible. People are overworked and tired. Everyone is always in a bad mood.
Pros
Simple job
Cons
Management is terrible
Procudctive and Friendly Work Enviroment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2016
Save on Foods, specifically the front end, is an amazing department to work in as we are the faces the customer last see's when leaving the grocery store. We assure they are leaving with a smile and full satisfaction of individual needs. Management has changed continuously during the time I've worked at Save On Foods, and I can confidently say each individual has taught me about either customer service, image or the history/background of Save On Foods. This allowed me to expand my knowledge and deliver high end service for our customers. The most enjoyable part about working at Save On Foods is the customer appreciation that you have done something that will put a smile on their face. I also enjoy seeing regular customers as they become a familiar face and we are able to have great conversations when being served.
Pros
Communacation with regular customers
Cons
Low Salary
Company was not nice to me
Night Crew (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 March 2017
I only received one day off at a time for eight months no one noticed or cared. I was scolded everyday for not going fast enough even though they would over order and I would be dripping in sweat working my butt off. After receiving the nightshift bonus for a total of one quarter they took it away saying it might come back to get us to work harder when in reality they had no intentions of brining it back. During this period the only days they would give me off were Tuesday and Thursday.
Pros
free apples
Cons
they dont care about you're life or youre scheduel
Good workplace with good Managers and co-workers
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 January 2017
A typical day of work as a grocery clerk consisted of stocking and facing shelves, checking dates on stock, cleaning shelves and the floors and assisting costumers to the best of your ability. I learned how to read a planogoram, how to properly stock and face product and how to interact with costumers and deal with bad situations should they arise. The management staff was kind, caring and wanted to see the best that I could do. My co-workers were all kind, helpful and made the workdays more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was facing items as some items would often fall down while facing or items would be stocked in the wrong spot. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interactions with the customers and the pride in seeing the quality of my work when finished.
Pros
Friendly managers and co-workers, easy to understand tasks and good environment.
Cons
Short amount of work hours, odd communication on schedule changes.
Poor management, misleading interview, lies non flexible
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC23 February 2017
Interviewer lies about job details. Not flexible for student (need to be available ANY TIME not in school with official letter) graveyard required for everyone at some point (even when told otherwise in interview) management not willing to solve problems, half of them are not friendly,managers/supervisors. It's no wonder they have a high turnover rate. Also not environmentally friendly they have a compost but tons of food scrapes/expired food is just thrown in with plastic and non biodegradable stuff.
Pros
Two 15 minute breaks one 30
Cons
Bad management, liars, don't solve issues employees have
Save on Foods
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, B.C14 March 2017
A typical day at work requires just baking and making cakes. I work in the bakery, but there is a lot of heavy lifting which I consider the hardest part of my job. Our management is consistently changing so there are new rules and regulations every time a new manager comes in. I learned that its hard to adjust to a different work condition depending on new management, but I am always willing to learn. I enjoy working with all my employees, there are many students that work part time like me. Since were all so close in age, it makes the work place more enjoyable.
Pros
monthly lunch provided by our manager.
Cons
Busy on weekends which gets tiring.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.