Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Customer Service Specialist-Meat department (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 January 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my job at save on as well as the people i worked with. it is a great environment and as long as your willing to put in the effort it fairly easy to move up within the company.
Lively
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC19 January 2018
This company is lively.
The workers are very personable.
The management is personable.
The upper management will do as much as they can to make things work for you.
Pros
Goofy coworkers
Cons
Stores closing
Great company to work for
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 January 2018
Good company to work as a student
Management is not so great. Wrong people get promoted. Store Manager takes advantage of being a mgr. Takes Christmas week off but doesn't allow anyone to take it. Take weekends off but gets upset when others do.
Some of the management is great thou as well.
Advancement opportunities are TONS...especially in Calgary, Manitoba, Saskatchewan & Yukon.
Pros
Advancement.
Terrible work environment
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC14 January 2018
Rating is for the specific store I work at, other stores may be better. Toxic work environment, abysmal management. I would recommend anyone stay away from this location at least.
Pros
Decent medical benefits
Cons
Useless union
Mediocre, morally grey, good for students
Online Shopper (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 January 2018
I am currently an E-Commerce employee at Save On. My job consisted of taking online orders, shopping for the customers, and taking the orders out to the parking lot or ensuring they were delivered. Independent job, but at our location it sometimes can be dull when there's not much to do, or crazy when there's too much to do and not enough staff members to do it.

I have honestly mixed feelings on this job, especially because the department is horrendously understaffed, which has meant that multiple times I've had to pull nightmare shifts because there simply weren't enough people to get the job done, and twice when I tried to call in sick the answer that I got was "You can't do that, there's nobody else here to do your job". Several times, when there were many orders and no other staff members, I worked through all of my breaks (even though that's illegal). I wasn't forced to, but if I took even one break than I would have fallen even more behind, and even when I didn't take any breaks I was there from 6 am to 4:30 PM, one day. When the supervisor finally got there at three, he asked me to stay and work even longer and I reluctantly agreed.

When I told my other supervisor about these insane shifts, she laughed and told me that another coworker had to do the same thing a few days prior. In other words, they're bending the rules at best and breaking the law at worst.

The coworkers in most of the store as amiable, there's a decent break room, but the employees don't receive any discounts. Instead, we get three times the Save On Foods points (useless to me, but apparently
  more... other staff members have gotten great benefits from it). The independence is good, you get to move around, but there's too much time to goof off. I learned basic retail and customer service skills while working there, but the amount of work that they expect out of us sometimes is absolutely unreasonable.

TLDR: Good job for students, the hours are terrible and sometimes the supervisors expect an unreasonable amount of work from us resulting in ten hour shifts. Minimum wage. Fast turnover rate. Freedom and low supervision. Very little training. Don't expect to work there for more than a few months. Easy to get hired, I was hired on the spot. Be aware of boring shifts and absolutely crazy shifts.
Pros
nice coworkers, low supervision
Cons
bad hours, long hours, boring shifts when slow, ridiculously hard shifts when busy, not flexible
Fun enviroment
PERSONAL SHOPPER (ECOMM) (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC11 January 2018
Fun environment to work in. You learn new and valuable skills in this job, Shifts range from 4-9 hours. Fun job to do, You learn a lot, Managers are nice and are easy to work with.
Pros
Fun enviroment
Cons
Not enough shifts given
Days off and hours
VQA Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC10 January 2018
Days off are rarely together and seniority does not offer benefits of preferred shifts.
Managers were open and interested in daily operational procedures and staff morale.
Easy, positive enviroment
Florist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2018
Typical day here was slow, yet enjoyable. I worked as a florist so i was in the back not so much the front of the store. Break time was always fun because staff would get to hang out. The staff room was a comfy pace where you could relax while enjoying some coffee or snacks provided my the co workers or boss.
good place to work, some good people
Barista (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT9 January 2018
job was good, poor communication, lack of good hours, school activities could not be worked around. would have liked to see more though and effort put into the support of the employee
Pros
good co workers
Cons
long hours, no breaks
"Slave on Foods"
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ladner, BC9 January 2018
Working conditions where horrible, standing for a couple hours on end in one spot sucks. Air conditioning was often broken. Managers at times where unreasonable and co-workers where snotty and boring. I expected way more than minimum wage for the ammount of work we where doing and some of my co-workers agreed. Lunch breaks postponed, at times, if someone more senior to you f'd up. Horrible establishment.
Pros
Decent hours
Cons
pay, co-workers, work environment
The managers don't care
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB8 January 2018
Everyone's grumpy. The mangers don't care about the workers. They have very overly high expectations for a job that's minimum wage,.They expect you to learn everything within a very short period of time and they expect you to just know what's on sale even if you haven't worked in days.You can't talk to them about any problems you're having without them making you feel judged or like it's your fault (even if it's not). They don't care about the well being of their employees at all.
If you work here don't expect any positive reinforcement at all and expect to have everything you do picked at
Pros
None.
Cons
Horrible managers
was ok
Grocery Clerk,deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 January 2018
Was a steady job, full time hours.had enough training, with some nice people. The upper management could have taken some more time in dealing with personal matters among people.The pay is low
Pros
some holiday staff luncheons
Cons
people were not very friendly and open
Some people are horrible to work with.
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 January 2018
I only worked for Save On Food for one week. It was ok at the beginning, the department I worked at was easy and people there are nice too.
Schedule was a mess, I took a picture of it one week earlier and came back telling me no hours for me for the rest of couple weeks, disappointed.
What the most terrible part is that some people are racist, they like to pick on new people like me while I didn't even know about their names. It came out from no reasons.
Never ever recommend this company and I will never go back for grocery shopping.
Pros
Some people are nice(few)
Cons
Messy schedule and racist staff.
fun work days
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC31 December 2017
Save on foods is a good place to work. i didnt care about it too much. i was happy to leave. now i am looking for a more steady job with better hours.
Pros
1 lunch and 2 15 minute breaks
Cons
scheduling
strong culture
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB28 December 2017
Very friendly, reliable and flexible to employees. Their work schedules are very open to cater to students, and fellow employees are friendly and helpful.
downhill
General Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC27 December 2017
Before Save on changed from Coopers it was a great job. alot of potential since the changeover the management changed and just became a job thats was dreadful. No compassion, integrity. Management think hey are better than everyone else
Beautiful new store
Retail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Parksville, BC22 December 2017
The Parksville store is thriving with lots of long term team members. Like all busy grocery stores with over 150 people we have a lot of turnover with some of the newer staff. We’re hoping the new contract will address some of the issues such as start wage and maximization in all the departments which means people have to learn several departments, The benefits and pension are great. The flexibility is good as well if your going to school or want to work part time. Our management team is both men and women equally and highly approachable. We are also a union shop nobody is terminated unless it is harassment or theft, even the union won’t win an appeal like that!
Pros
Great benefits, free fruit, inclusive all abilities ages
Cons
Physical some repetition
Terrible place to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 December 2017
This place runs in a punishment processing. You are basically a slave and the union does nothing to help staff or even fight for them. The front end staff makes as much as the meat department staff and the cooks make the most. Stupid in all ways. If you can train with save on and move to another food service place.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
All is written above
productive and energetic work place.
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BC18 December 2017
My typical day at Save On Foods was repetitive. I learned the ropes of this amazing grocery store and it felt awesome!
Management was the least helpful which is unfortunate but I loved what I did there.
Although you don't have a say in what department you work I was trained very well in the best departments!
Pros
they always gave usexpired food!
Cons
they dont care to listen.
Gratifying workplace.
Produce clerk (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB17 December 2017
Daily job duties consist of filling the holes in produce with fresh produce . Doing cleaning , organizing and displaying goods in displays that appeal to our customers.Receiving of freight and putting said freight away in our cooler. The hardest part of the job would be the lack of hours. The most enjoyable part is interacting with the customers. Helping people with their produce needs and helping them to find basic things in the store they are looking for.
Pros
Working with some good people.
Cons
Not enough hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.