Save on Foods Employee Reviews

horrible company
Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 November 2017
Would never suggest for someone to work there. childish workers and management. Hours always getting taken away. Work way to hard for minimum wage....
Job
Cashier/ Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC2 November 2017
Save on foods was such a great company to work with. The people, management and work ethics was really good. I enjoyed working in the deli and as a cashier
Pros
scheduled breaks
Cons
no discount
Good company until the end
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC29 October 2017
I, for the most part working for the company. Some co-workers were fun to work with. Others not so great. Some management were easy to talk to, others not so much. When I got sick and for health reasons and needed to move, the company wouldn’t transfer me saying there wasn’t enough “evidence “ to support my claim. Transfers are only for those already in management positions. Tried to fight it and in the end was forced to quit and move because of my health.
I will never work for this company again. I guess the 16 years I worked there didn’t mean much to the company and losing a dedicated employee was no big deal to them.
Pros
Wages and benefit packages
Cons
Too many to list
Medical and Dental sells this job
Restaurant Clerk (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BC28 October 2017
The greatest thing about working for Save on Foods is their Medical and Dental plan. The managers can be lazy at times and there is lots of favoritism towards some employees but its normally a friendly atmosphere.

The work environment can be fast paced at times which makes for shorter work days.

Save on Foods will hire you regardless of gender, handicaps or age. I have worked with quite a few older people who work there just to get out of the house a few days of the week.

Normally they can work around your needs and schedule you days and times which work best for you. Going to school? that's ok they can work around your school times so you can work and attend your classes.

Any and all complaints or issues can be dealt with easily and anonymous if you want.
Pros
Medical and Dental are awesome.
Cons
Pay isn't that much and shift times can differ everyday
dead end job
Seafood, Deli, Cashier, Bulk (Current Employee) –  Cloverdale, NB28 October 2017
they pay you $11/hr, make you close one night and open the very next day all the time. after 2 years you still only make $11.50/hr. they don't know how to schedule people properly,
This place needs some serious help
Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  British Columbia25 October 2017
Nothing about the job was enjoyable the pay was not good enough for the work you have to do the hours didn't cover living expenses even for fulltime people they only gave a 5 cent raise for every 500 hours that's like 20 cents a year the fulltime is capped at 37.50 so no overtime and no paid lunches no matter how hard you work you will not be rewarded at all I've worked here and seen others rise above me to management positons when I worked 10 time harder then they do and when trying to get a full time position you will be shot down instantly no consideration at all because only important positions are fulltime which is completely garbage no wonder why long term employees don't stay I could go on forever about how bad my experience with this company was only apply if your lazy or need work experience don't waste your time on a career that has no advancement at all.
Pros
Free expired food Being schedule on days you don't want to work
Cons
No respect for workers, advancement for lazy people, management lives in fairyland
It’s a good job to help get you back on track
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 October 2017
I like save on foods it’s a good company to work for during high school and college/university you get great rewards and you can go management positions
Pros
Get 15% during the first week of every month
Cons
Not getting enough hours
Worst grocery store to work at! Not all, but the location I worked at.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 October 2017
My brother and I used to work in the same grocery chain but in different locations. Unfortunately, I was unlucky that I was hired in the store that gave me the worst job experience I ever had in my life so far. Managers talk to their colleagues/employees like they own them. Colleagues quitting because of the rude and bad the management. They don't care about their employees at all. I was pressured to take more shifts because we were understaffed, and because I have school I just quit. I once heard a manager yelling on the phone to probably one of our colleagues. Colleagues or not, it was so unprofessional. Very stressful environment to work at.
Pros
Okay salary
Cons
Bad management, rude managers
Productive and fun workplace
Sushi Chef (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 October 2017
Co-workers are fun and hard workers. Make me feel happy and comfortable. Help each other to improve their knowledge and skills. Managerment always help team members and give us some rewards when we did a good jobs to encourage us.....
fun work place
SUSHI COOK (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT20 October 2017
good fun loving people and management. the training group that was brought up to help were very friendly. we had alot of struggles with a new store opening but everyone seemed to get it accomplished. unfortunatly i had to leave because of health issues, but once im healed i would hope they would give me another chance.
Save on Foods
Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB18 October 2017
Job is your typical min wage job. Management was alright for the most part, except when it came to schedules. I had to miss a few classes in order to get to work on time because they scheduled me an hour earlier.
Pros
customers
Cons
Mixed schedule and drama
Career Growth
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 October 2017
If you enjoy the business, its a great company to grow with.
There are opportunities to go far if you have the drive. There are a load of courses available online to improve yourself and help qualify yourself for promotions.
Pros
Growth Opp
Cons
Angry Customers
Overall good experience
Cashier and Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC13 October 2017
The store was not very good with scheduling. The schedule changed almost every day. However, the management was awesome and very helpful. The environment at the workplace was very positive aswell.
productive but politics and at times bad co-workers
Meat/ seafood clerk (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC13 October 2017
Save on foods, in recent years has become a striving business yet its employees at some stores ( myself included) have been stressed to the point of quitting, coworkers can at times be lazy to the point that depending on how you handle your work, can lead to no breaks or set behind in the work day, this happens regularly.
Pros
free lunches every Tuesday, great benefits and job security
Service Desk
Front End Cashier (Current Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT10 October 2017
I deal with customers that need assistance with errors on their receipts as well as lottery and selling of cigarettes.
The Assistant Manager is great to work with he is very helpful.
productive environment
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  100 Mile House, BC5 October 2017
everyone works together and days were always busy. days went by fast and I learned a lot about retail. They had a great management team and everyone respected each other.
Doesn't worth it!
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 October 2017
I worked there for a month and half.
-Coworkers were very friendly
-Management is good as well
-You work very hard for 11$
-You are on call for any schedule change in 24hrs
-They call you in your days off to see if you can come if someone sick.
-You work in retail so be ready to see crazy customers
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
low wage, crazy customers, a lot to do
Great teamwork between staff, energetic atmosphere.
Produce department specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 October 2017
I enjoy working with save on foods, the team works well together and is very diverse. No, you do not get discounts on groceries, you only get 15% for a week instead of one day, but you can only use the discount once. Benefits are great, 80% coverage on dental, health, long-term disability, etc. but you need an average of 30 hours per week to qualify, also you get paid weekly. One thing I did not like, is the constant over the shoulder watching by upper management. Instead of helping you when times get busy, they criticize what you didn't get done. (Not sure if that is just my store.) Otherwise, the company is very involved in it's community, and local vendors. They have also recently become very environmentally friendly using composting methods, and trying to reduce the use of plastic bags.
Pros
Benefits, schedules based on your availability, and family oriented.
Cons
Constant greeting reminders
very fun filled place too work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 October 2017
great people. good workplace. great staff. honourable job offers. i met lots of great people and enjoyed working here. i learnt alot working here. i would work here again
I enjoyed working here
Restaurant and Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC2 October 2017
A typical day at work was fun, although slightly disorganized. There was always something to do, which I like. There was quite a bit of gossip that would sometimes interfere with performance of employees (but is to be expected). Wages are low, but not much is expected of you. Union benefits are excellent if you plan to make it a career and not a temp job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.