Save on Foods Employee Reviews

Good part-time job to get you some money
Personal shopper, Online Shopping (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC26 May 2017
Our store management team is good with scheduling and accommodating all possible RTO or hours change requests. People I work with are mostly great, fun and friendly. Pay is low, I don't think anybody can survive on it, only good as a supplement or second income.
Pros
Free fruits in a lunchroom
Cons
Low pay
work
Cashier/Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BC26 May 2017
have lockers for employees
many part timers
work seems to go by fast when its busy
when its not busy its difficult to stay busy because of procedures and senority
Great Place
Restaurant Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 May 2017
-Fresh products
-Clean store
-Stocked Shelves
-Friendly Staff
-Help customers locate products
-Store can get busy depening on the time of day/week/year
Pros
Cons
Not given enough hours to meet basic needs
Fun Place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 May 2017
I enjoyed working there. It was a comfortable environment to work with and it was a team work to help customers and give them most importance for their requirement.
Fast paced work atmosphere with good benefits.
Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC16 May 2017
My current management team has been very helpful and encouraging during my time working at Save On Foods. Because of this I have had the opportunity the assistant Deli Manager for the past year. During this time i have improved my work ethic, learned valuable management and customer service skills, and discovered my enthusiasm for challenging work. On a typical day I spend my hours working freight, setting up display cases, directing product assembly for the day, and making order adjustments, all while serving customers intermittently. The hardest part of the job, which is also the most satisfying, would be having to constantly balance many different responsibilities at one time.
Pros
Good Benefits, Opportunity for promotion, Excellent management
Cons
Unpredictable schedule
review
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC14 May 2017
it was a really friendly environment i got good hours it was usually very busy.The hardest part of the job was remembering the codes.Them most enjoyable part of the job was talking to new people everyday and hearing their stories and just helping them out. good customer service
Okay for part time/temporary, not that you'll get full time anyways
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC13 May 2017
Since it's a union, it takes forever to get even close to full time hours (sometimes up to a year) unless you work in an extremely small department. After a year, you get full medical and fairly good dental as well, plus paid vacation. However, the first couple of months they can fire you without reason, and you would be lucky to get 2 or 3 shifts a month.

Also because it's a union, there are far too many long term employees who are making 25 to 30 dollars an hour, and getting 6 weeks paid vacation, while doing the exact same work as you. It is now impossible to work your way up to that wage, as they have capped entry level positions at a maximum of 16 an hour.

Along the lines of long-term employees, management will let many things slide and look past certain rules broken by longer term employees. When you start, they will tell you that if you ever have a problem, you can just go to one of the union representatives, however the two times I did take advantage of that, my confidential problems were told to other people within management, which made me feel very awkward and unsafe in my work environment. I have heard many stories like this one from my old coworkers.
Pros
Paid holiday's, good benefits after a year, free lunches/food in staff room, job security after probational period
Cons
Unsympathetic management, constantly fluctuating schedule, hard to get time off, unable to book time off over Christmas holiday's
Flexible schedule and cross training
Cashier/ Deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC10 May 2017
In the deli department, I would assist customers and serve deli products. I learned to work as a team member and to multi-task when working on production. The hardest part of the job is to complete extra work tasks when a coworker calls in sick. The small group of employees would then have to delegate tasks efficiently. As for the enjoyable part of work, I'd say working with the Grid B employees because we share the same employee rights and payscale. The Grid B employees are fun to work with and create a positive atmosphere in the workplace. The Grid A employees voted out the Grid B employees in 1997 from having additional employments benefits and security.
Pros
flexible schedule, cross training
Cons
lack of benefits, unfair pay wages, segregation of employees
Stiff, unpleasent environment with tension in the air. On break there were no words shared only silence.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 May 2017
A typical day at work was fairly boring, facing and stocking shelves was my job, and it seems like a monkey could do it. Some of the employees said what they thought, no matter how it might make others feel. Trash talk about management.
Pros
easy work
Cons
no discounts
Productive, Positive hard working environment
Cashier/Bakery Department (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC5 May 2017
I have learned many skills such as using a cash register along with memorising the codes for fruits and vegetables. I also learned closing duties and got to work in a team with positive and hard working people. The most enjoyable part was always being busy with something that the time flew by quickly. The staff were also super sweet. A typical day at work meant that everything was finished at the end of each shift, such as cleaning, and serving customers to the fullest.
Pros
Free Snacks, hot beverages
Cons
Long bus ride to work

Want to know more about Save on Foods?

Ask a question
fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tsawwassen, BC4 May 2017
Greeting people is the best part. When you offer them some help and they look back at you with a smile, is very satisfying. Would recommend others to try retailing as well :)
Pros
Complimentry fruit
Cons
Long Hours
Chill workplace
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 May 2017
Learned nothing significant
Your average grocery clerk job
workplace was friendly
best part of the job was my breaks
Hardest part was dealing with customers
I hated this job
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC3 May 2017
Job while in high school, was taken advantage of in more than one way. Never received a raise and was given minimal hours. Employees only stay because the union gave good wages for those who started 15 years ago. Very monotonous and boring.
Good benefits and flexible
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC26 April 2017
You have the chance to learn different departments, the environment is fast-paced during the day and slow at nights. I have learned how to have really good customer service and patience while working at Save On Foods. The management is alright, and the most enjoyable part is working with friends my age.
Seniors are top priority
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC26 April 2017
Younger and less experienced staff seem to often have their schedules change the day before or even the day of just to please the upper staff. Was a pleasant job otherwise.
Pros
Kind staff
Cons
Awkward hours
poor managment
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 April 2017
not enough staff to get the job done, favoritism is ramped among managers. not enough training for all staff including managers for them to perform at their best.
Pros
free snacks in break room
Cons
hard to move up if your not in with the right people
Productive workplace with different positions for advancement
General Clerk, Meat Department & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC19 April 2017
Easy to move between departments creating the ability to have a more diverse work experience each day. Learned different skills: money management, customer service etc..
Pros
free bakery treats
Cons
bad scheduling
Productive constantly busy
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC12 April 2017
It is always enjoyable greeting n helping customers as much I can. Helping them through the line ups quickly as I can is a must.. just know the feeling of standing in a line up. Love the experiences good or bad with the customers always a learning tool every day. I am getting close to so many of my customers to which they look for me specifically now to help them they tell me about their every day and I enjoy I am a part of their lives. :)
Pros
free fruit in the lunch room loving that
Cons
long hours standing
friendly co-workers and management
General Clerk meat dpt. (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC11 April 2017
working at save on was a great experience i made long lasting friends and had regular costumer to would come sometimes just to talk especially elder costumers.
i liked helping around so if i had everything done in my dpt i would go to other dpts and see if they needed help or just started to help if i seen it getting busy. i enjoyed the most the costumers and building that relationship with them.
i wanted to move up in the company but i overworked myself and got tendinitis on my shoulder which prevented me from doing the jobs that i usually liked the best that were fast paced and usually lifting the heavy things that other employees didn't always want to do. but in all that i learned quite a bit there was still more that i would've liked to learn.
Pros
room fr advancement
Cons
schedule wasnt always the greatest
Worst Place to Work
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 April 2017
Worst Company Ever
Worst Pay,Worst Scheduling of shifts and Worst Managers
Managers dont listen to employees and give them work schedule against their availabilty.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save on Foods. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval