Save on Foods

Save on Foods Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great co-workers and a great atmosphere.
Meat Department specialist (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABMay 11, 2015
Pros: Great attitude.
Cons: Not a lot of compassion.
There was always fresh fruit in the staff room accompanied by a friendly employee willing to chat your break away. Fellow employees always had a smile on their face and a skip in their step.
The management was rather poor
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaMay 9, 2015
Pros: Simple work
Cons: Poor management of employees
I did not really enjoy working at save on foods near the end of my employment because my department became disorganized and the treatment of employees declined. I have been injured a few times while on shift, and despite me reporting these issues it was completely ignored. The reason for this was because I was not injured enough to be sent home from work. The union (CLAC) was very weak and did not support people who were only working part-time. Save on Foods took advantage of this and only hired people for 34 hours a week so that they would still be registered as part-time but with no benefits. I was being paid less than minimum wage at Save on Foods because I had to account for a union fee. On paper it says I am being paid 11$/ hour, but the reality was that I was being paid 10$/ hour because for every hour I worked I had to pay 1$ to the union. At the time, the minimum wage in Alberta was 10.35$/hour.

I did enjoy working with my co-workers there, but even those who stayed and worked for the company for 4 years were still being yelled at by supervisors. The most common reason was that they were being too slow, however, most of these supervisors ignored other variables that made workers slower at doing their work such as having a shelve fall apart while they are stalking up goods.
Productive workplace
Cashier, Deli, Bakery, Meat and Seafood, Grocery (Former Employee), Maple Ridge, BCMay 8, 2015
Working at save on foods provided me with knowledge of how to work in multiple departments as they cross trained me. Management was easy to bring issues to.
Save On Foods creates a positive work environment.
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 1, 2015
Pros: Benifits, free meal monthly
Cons: I was not able to dress up.
I enjoyed working at Save On Foods. Save On Foods has good employee incentives which helps keeps a positive work place. Schedules were posted in advance so it was easy to have a good work and home balance.
Always treated like a great team player
Cashier (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABApril 30, 2015
Each day we always had regular customers who made who that much more great. My co-workers were awesome! Such outgoing and kind hearted people and it was a very sad day when I was no longer working for them anymore due to leaving for maternity leave. I would recommend this store for anyone to work for!
Save On Foods
Coffee Bar Barista (Former Employee), calgary, ABApril 18, 2015
Pros: Free breaks
Cons: overtime
On a typical day at work I would do the following:
-Serve coffee to customers
-Work on till
-Clean your surroundings
-Assist customers with their groceries
-Help the kitchen when it got too busy (make food, clean etc.)
a
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 15, 2015
Pros: Paid Weekly + extra $1 per hour on Sunday's.
Cons: Can't really think of anything.
I learned how to work under pressure, and time myself accordingly! I was able to provide a fast, friendly and fun checkout experience.
Clerk
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee), New Westminster, BCApril 12, 2015
its a decent job. typical day at work same thing over and over gets boring. i like a challenge at times. Co workers are very good people
Good People and Environment
Front End Specialist (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 5, 2015
Pros: Free food
Cons: Repetitive
I had a good amount of training when I started which was helpful. I learned a variety of codes and how to operate the cash register. The management was okay. I would have enjoyed interacting more with the manager of my department as well as getting offered opportunities for advancement based on my career aspirations. A lot of the people I worked with were nice and helpful. The hardest part of my job was the lack of flexibility when it came to sick days and the most enjoyable part were the regular customers who came in and the overall enjoyable attitude of the people who I worked with.
no review
Cashier (Former Employee), Victoria, BCApril 2, 2015
Pros: meeting. new people
Cons: working conditions
The company was union was great for older staff. Newer staff worked 40 hrs a week but were considered part time and so no big wages or health caree.
The variety of work creates a forever changing and fresh feeling environment.
General Clerk & Meat Cutter (Current Employee), Maple Ridge, BCApril 1, 2015
Pros: Varied team membership bonuses, outside of business operations
Cons: No static discount
A typical day at this job requires me to be attentive to all aspects of the store. Each grocery clerk must respond to cashier duties, in assisting a full service and helping regulate the flow of customers, by bagging or opening another register. Customer service, from communication and cleanliness to organization and conflict resolution, are daily skills that are needed to run the business efficiently. I've learned there are many great people to be met in the world and to give the best service possible always. It creates a positive and progressive environment that all should aim to achieve. The management team does a good job at keeping the customers and employees content with their experiences in the store.

The largest obstacle to overcome while working has to be knowing where all the variety of products are located across the store, which comes with time. The best part of working at this job is knowing there is room for expansion in particular skills and knowledge courses.
save on foods
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 31, 2015
Was a great company to work for.Very helpful great people to work for, didn't like we didn't get any discounts, liked everything was online etch
Not a nice place to work
Cashier Part Time (Former Employee), Edmonton AlbertaMarch 18, 2015
Pros: Some really nice people worked there
Cons: No hours
I worked for Save On Foods at an Edmonton store, for over a year before being finally forced to quit. I was admitted that a couple of the supervisors didn't like me and so harassed me till I quit...though the store is Unionized, nothing was done about these two despite other complaints. Sad...
Long days, but I met a lot of people
Gas Bar Manager (Former Employee), Chilliwack, BCFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: busy all the time, so the days went fast
Cons: no breaks. sore feet and back.
Typical day was 7 and a half hours long, with no breaks. This was due to the fact that the morning shift was always worked alone. However, the time went fast, as I was always busy doing something. Customer service, cleaning, stocking, paperwork. The list was endless. I liked this job very much, and wish it didn't have to end. The Overwaitea Food Group got out of the gas business, and sold all of it's gas bars in 2012.
Slave on by working at Save on
Grocery department specialist (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: benefits are decent
Cons: terrible environment
Terrible management, too much favoritism, terrible scheduling. Fastest shrink item is employee morale. Only work here if you can't go anywhere else. Could be store I am at, but the managers are awful and do not recognize their employees no matter how hard they slave. Pay is low and raises are very small. Only if you are a favorite will you advance.
Fast-paced, challenging, engaging
General clerk (Former Employee), Surrey, BCFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: awesome people. time and a half on stats which are plenty through the year
Cons: low chance of getting bast benefits now with the direction of the company
I spent ten years as part of the Overweitea Food Group at Save On Foods in Fleetwood. I received awesome training working with a great group of people and was placed in head production role because of my ability for production and efficiency on the Job as well as time-management. I had amazing benefits (including ATO's=paid days off bi-weekly, 90% dental and sick bank), fun work environment ideal for coaching, mentoring and challenging people to think on their feet as well as learning various aspects of management through experience and seeking growth.
Not a good place to work
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 6, 2015
Would not recommend this for anyone. The management staff there were not friendly and not helpful in the least. Would never go back to work there.
Internship at Save on Foods- Free Food For All!!
Assistant Pharmacist (Former Employee), Ladner , BCJanuary 5, 2015
I worked as a Pharmacy Assistant at this location. It was a 3 month volunteer experience. Working at the pharmacy at Save on Foods was great. I had a great staff, all of them were different in their own ways and I got to learn so much from each of them. I learnt how difficult it can be to work under pressure and especially when you are under staffed and there are patients and customers wanting service. The most enjoyable part of the day was to be able to smell freshly baked bread throughout my shift and then to be able to go to the lunch room and have a table full of free food and a coffee vending machine for the extra espresso for the not so sunny days. No, in reality I enjoyed learning about different medications and how to tackle difficult situations in the pharmacy forefront and how to correctly speak to health care professionals.
first time job
Cashier (part-time) (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 30, 2014
Pros: part time
Cons: part time
help customers, first part time job. Everyday was different
A very entertaining place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Prince George, BCDecember 30, 2014
Pros: your fellow team members always had your back
Cons: did not fuction well with school
The typical day would be go to work, make sure your uniform is clean. Immediately, you would be taking costumer's orders, and working at a fast pace level. Costumers were quit rude, and sometimes violent. Having people skills is definitely a requirement for this job. However, there was a few bonuses i got from the workplace. I now have better communication skills, as well as more work experience for the future.

1 2 3 4 5