Save-On-Foods Employee Reviews

not fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BCAugust 21, 2016
Some days were better than most. But only the very busy days. When I had an injury from outside of work and presented a doctors note for light duty they had me take the days off instead, even when I told them I couldn't afford the days off.

Made myself available to work in other departments but they instead hired new people or trained others that already worked in many other departments.
Pros
Free food occasionally
Cons
everything else
Horrible place to work
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  BCSeptember 1, 2016
The managers treat you like you're completely worthless. There is such a divide between employees that have been there 25+ years and employees that have been there less than 10 and the less than 10 group are made to feel like second class citizens. Too much gossip, too much drama. Save yourself the headache and apply elsewhere.
Pros
Its a job with a paycheck
Cons
treated badly, low pay, drama
Great job opportunities.
Ecommerce Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKAugust 18, 2016
I am proud to work for Save-On-Foods. The Ecommerce department is relatively new but the culture of the company is what's impressed me the most. I have met many managers from Langley who starred working as a part time job and 25 or 35 years later they are still here. Now,that alone says a lot for the company.
Pros
The training programs give you whatever you want to succeed.
General Deli Clerk
General Deli Clerk & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCAugust 24, 2016
Worked as a General Deli Clerk & Cashier
Created a positive customer experience at every interaction
Went above and beyond to help customers find what they were in need of
Followed the save on protocol “customer service first”
Responsible for making sure product was out and the case was full
Showed a clean environment by keeping it tidy
friendly co-workers, job security
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJune 27, 2016
I work with cheery people and customers and I am always learning how to work with four generations of co-workers. It's interesting to see how much different people really are and how to approach each person. Management is supportive and always lend a helpful ear. My co-workers are knowledgeable and easy to get along with. There is no really "hard" part of the job. With everyone working together as a team, we work as a solid unit, so all in all, we all help each other work to make things run like a well tuned oiled machine. I won't lie, working in Produce we get to try any new product that comes in so we can educate the customer on the fruit or vegetable. Trying exotic or new fruit or vegetables that come in is fun to taste, but letting people know about what they can actually do with it, is funner.
Not overly fun and not overly satisfying.
Produce/Floral Clerk (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMay 19, 2016
At first it seemed like a great job. I'd go to work and begin the day
by loading wheelers and putting out produce.
I have learned absolutely nothing.
Management sucked for many reasons, they began cutting hours and without warning I could lose a shift or gain a shift. Not once did they call.
I did a few co-workers but only one that was in my department. He was friendly and very helpful.
The hardest part of thr job was coming into work and having to deal with caddy people.
The most enjoyable part was going home.
Cons
not enough hours, rude co-workers, managment sucked.
Alright job
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 4, 2016
Since my job was graveyard hours, I wouldn't say it was the ideal situation. Although, I still really enjoyed this job! I became very close with my co-workers and we always had a great time at work, it was like one big family. Best part about my job was working there! The hardest part about my job was the hours..
great place to work
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABSeptember 12, 2016
Save on foods was great to work for workers there are so friendly while working towards daily tasks like helping customers doing orders working with the managment and other staff members from different departments
Fun environment.
Front End Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 15, 2016
Perfect oppurnitunity for those who are looking for their first job. Most positions ads part time, not a lot of full time hours. Very warming, and welcoming management team.
Thought it would be a good job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCFebruary 23, 2016
I was hired under the premises that it was a full time position, its a great atmosphere and the people I work with are great. At least I think they are but the guaranteed 35-40 hours a week has some how turned into 4 hours over three weeks, and random phone calls asking me to come in. I'd be fine with on-call if it was something they had told us would happen or be a possibility or put on call on the schedule so you know not to plan anything for that day. And when asking about hours or the lack there of, we keep getting the run around about how its normal and they'll call us, or check the schedule online every day as things are always changing. That's nice but my rent doesn't get paid this way.
If it was not for the hours I would love this job and not be looking for a new one. It really is a great place to work
Pros
Friendly co-worker, decent paced, weekly pay cheques, benefits
Cons
LACK OF HOURS
Safe and comfortable, and rather enjoyable at times
Deli/Cashier/Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCFebruary 15, 2016
Was always a fun atmosphere with awesome people to work with! Was only a bit frustrating when it came to getting a couple days off for family, or medical related events.
Pros
Awesome people, good instruction
Cons
Schedule Manager wasn't all that kind most of the time
Pleasant & good synergy
Cashier/Customer Service Desk, Kitchen-Clerk (Former Employee) –  Canmore, ABJanuary 28, 2016
I like working at Save On Foods because my fellow co workers are kind, responsible, and very helpful with me and others. When my personal life got out of hand my co workers were understanding of my situation and respected that my personal needs needed to be met otherwise work will not be properly done.
productive workplace where i learned many new skills
General clerk/bakery worker (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BCJanuary 13, 2016
Save On Foods is a really good place to work at and i would love to apply there again. the fast paced environment was good for keeping me up and active. each new thing i learned taught me skills that i could then put to my everyday life.
Pros
hour long lunches and the friendly people (also the free fruit)
Cons
Sporadic hours
Great for part time employment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  South Surrey, BCMarch 7, 2016
I was taking summer courses while at Save-On-Foods, and they were quite flexible with my schedule. They have a great management team, a safe working environment, and they accommodated every employees work schedule.
Nice people to work with and for.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 29, 2016
I enjoyed meeting some really nice people at Save- On- Foods;
at both of the stores I worked at.

For the most part, management there was very good.

I was able to bring all my skills I learned working at
Safeway to Save-On.

Working with people, both customers and staff, was the best part
of my job as Cashier.
it is a very good place to work, especially if you are starting out.
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  magrath location, edmontonDecember 11, 2015
I have worked at save-on-foods for 15 years and found it to be very friendly and welcoming to everyone. It did not matter which location that I have worked at, they are always flexible with hours and the needs that you have with your family.They are also very involved in giving back to the community.

The hard part is like any other place , dealing with cranky and angry customers. the Best part is when you help a customer find what they are missing and you get a big smile from them.
great work environment with good training
General Clerk, Bakery, Produce and Floral (Current Employee) –  White Rock, BCDecember 1, 2015
It is a fun, fast paced workplace, with many opportunities and ways to move up. Management is supportive and my colleagues make the job enjoyable, as well as teach me new things I didn't already know about my job. I am however, looking to find something new and exciting, as I feel that my time spent at Save-On Foods will lead me to bigger and better opportunities in a new workplace.
Pros
Supportive environment
Cons
Not enough staff
awesome place to work
CLERK (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BCApril 8, 2016
i love this company. great people to work with. job security, good pay. they work around student schedules and really appreciate their employees.
Pros
always fed their employees
productive work place
Restaurant Clerk (Current Employee) –  Langley, BCApril 13, 2016
i have morning shifts and i love my job.
its the best part of my day to spend over there.
its fun and productive work place .
i have very nice co workers
Fast paced and exciting
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 20, 2016
A lot of unqualified workers , but great higher ups. The management was very professional and they ran a tight ship. Hardest part was picking up the slack of other people, sometimes taking the lead is necessary.