Save-On-Foods

Save-On-Foods Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Interesting and Challengin Workplace
Bakery Manager, Cambie (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 15, 2014
Pros: benefits, excellent pay
Cons: not having more say in who gets to work in my department (cross-training store)
The most enjoyable part of the job is leading the team into producing delicious baked goods. I also enjoy working with customers and exceeding their expectations. Nothing is more rewarding than getting customer feedback.

A typical week at work involves scheduling staff, budget forecasts, placing orders, following-up with team to ensure tasks are being – more... accomplished, creating displays, suggest ideas to increase sales per hour, merchandising and communicating with reps from other companies.

I've learned a lot in my time at Save-On-Foods. Skills and contacts I'll have for the rest of my career. – less
Overwaitea is a poorly organized and managed company, but up front it offers good products for customers.
RECEIVER (from Jan. 2009) / GROCERY CLERK (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABOctober 9, 2014
Pros: easy to do grocery shopping at the end of my shift.
Cons: large high-volume retailer with no warehouse in edmonton region.
I was very relieved to retire from Overwaitea in April 2014, after 15 years with the company. There is a lot of ineptness at the h/q in Vancouver, and the company generally is hypocritical with respect to health & safety, customer service, teamwork and communications. Our store that was built three years ago is poorly designed for safety, efficiency, – more... and keeping perishables cool after receiving. Working retail hours is hard on one's family and community involvement. What I learned from the job was the work ethic of putting out on an hour-by-hour and day-in-and-day-out basis. Even though I hated the job, I don't recall taking any more than one day off for sickness. When I walked away at the end of any day, I knew that the company-- warts and all-- was still providing customers with a lot of good products. Even now, I do about half of my grocery shopping at Save-On-Foods. – less
Save-on-Foods
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Grande Prairie, ABOctober 5, 2014
Pros: lots of hours
Cons: poor managment, short of staff, late breaks, constantly getting new people and lots of people quitting
I would processed costumers items, clean area, gather carts, work on the self check out, work on the costumer service desk selling lottery tickets and smokes.
I learned how to manage a till and how to manage disrespectful people.
The management was great until the manager had moved then we received poor management.
The hardest part is doing the buggies – more... and standing in the same spot for long periods of time. – less
Bagging Groceries
Surrey, Bc. Courtesy clerk (Former Employee), south point, south surrey, BCSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: low wage and hours
I worked here when I was young, 13-14 actually. id say it was an easy job the main duties were bagging groceries, pushing carts, helping customers load groceries into their car, helping customers find products, engaging and having a nice conversation with the customer, and the occasional clean up.
Safe and easy workplace
Service Clerk (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 9, 2014
Pros: great staff and free lunches
Cons: short hours
Some of the things I do daily for my job is to head out in the parking lot of Save-On-Foods and to grab all the carts and park them inside where the customers can receive them. I also do returns which are grocery items that have been left behind so my job is to return to its rightful place. I've learned many things about my job and those things are – more... that a grocery store is a very sociable and safe place to work in and the workplace is very appealing. My managers are very serious with their jobs but are still very nice to all our diverse staff. My co-workers are very welcoming and introduce me to things that are new to the place. The hardest part of my job is when all the carts are being occupied by customers on a busy day that are inside the store and my main struggle is to look for any available carts outside to give to the customers. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I get witness a sociable and helpful staff and that I'm proud to be a part of it. – less
Fast Paced environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 5, 2014
Kept changing schedule without notice, I enjoyed working with amazing people, but could not handle constantly checking when to be in for a shift.
lots of work, but it was good to work.
Grocery Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee), Cranbrook, BCJuly 11, 2014
Pros: free food in staff room
Cons: grinding days
it was good, life is good. occasional long days, but it was nice meeting new people. Management is great, people I worked with were nice
store closed down
Jr. Deli, Meat clerk (Current Employee), surrey bcJune 12, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: graveyrds
management is ok great place to work well in school
local business
will give u time off school
shifts are all over place unless if you have been there for 10 years
Slow, Awkward.
Cashier (Former Employee), Terrace, BCMay 22, 2014
Pros: amazing calzones
Cons: almost everything.
First 3 days of training everyone was all nice, friendly and helpful. I learned right away there was a "3 strike" rule. I got my first one at 5 after 7 in the morning for a training shift. I waited outside for half an hour. (Had to be there a little early) Because new employees don't get the code to the door. I tried calling but no answer and a few – more... minutes after my shift started my trainer came out and gave me my first strike for being late. My other 2 came from almost that exact reason. There were bugs all over and underneath the tills, it was impossible to do a good cleaning job with nest of bugs everywhere. Other cashiers weren't helpful, there was no training for messes, holdups, or techincal issues. I am doing online schooling so i applied for 30+ hours a week. I got maybe 12 a week. And the days that they called me in on my off days, they would call at 7am or late at night. The worst thing of all though, I was working and had about 2 hours left on my shift and I had started puking on my break. What did my manager say? "Go wash your hands you only have 2 more hours." HELLO, I'm barfing, this is contaigous, and you want me to keep on handling peoples produce and house hold items? EW. I hope my future job is a little more straight forward and understanding of new workers and has some sanitary boundaries.
This was my first ever time working legitimatly and not just volunteer work. And the experience was brutal. – less
Not bad
Cashier (Former Employee), Langley, WilloughbyMay 15, 2014
Pros: good hours
Cons: hard to get days off
The location I worked at was understaffed. It was impossible for me to take a day off without begging the manager for it. Also, every time i asked for a day off the manager always gave me a hard time. Also people from other departments were not very friendly. The schedules were VERY inconsistent and literally changed on a daily basis. My co-workers – more... were all full timers who had been working there for several years and i was only a student. I didnt mind the gender gap but I felt like they were giving me too many shifts because I was unable to concentrate on school. But other than that, I worked as a cashier and it was whatever. I worked here for roughly 6 months because it was becoming tough to balance school and work. I also worked at McDonalds prior to this job and I liked McDonalds better. – less
Fantastic Work Environment
Produce Associate (Former Employee), Wye Road, Sherwood Park, AlbertaMay 3, 2014
This is a fantastic work environment where everyone has fun with each other. My co-workers were fantastic, the hours were flexible and the hardest part of the job was lifting bags of potatoes in produce and getting cold in the coolers. It was fantastic and the management is very well connected to the staff.
Meh.
Bakery clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2014
closing shift you clean, package product, clean, answer questions, clean, stock shelves, clean, make garlic bread. day shifts you prep for what you need, bake fresh products for the day, package and label goods and everything that the night shift does. hardest part of this job is time management, have to have everything done in the time given.
fun working
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Williams Lake, BCJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: some really great people
Cons: not alot of hours and some really rude people
A normal day at was was that same as most jobs long but fun i learned alot of new thing and the managers were understanding and polite. Most of the co-workers were very friendly but as in all jobs there are a few that were just plane rude and i would have to say the the hardest part of the job was when a rush happend and we didnt have the people for – more... it. The most enjoyable part i would have to say was makeing all the new friends i did and working with them – less
Lovely product codes.
Cashier (Former Employee), West KelownaJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: good at my job
Cons: product code memorization
The Hardest part of this job was to learn and memorize all product codes for each fruit or vegetable. I loved to be a cashier and converse and help customers. I was able to have them memorized but that was the most difficult for me. I spent nights upon nights studying the product codes.

One night i was closing and the last cashier to be at the cash – more... registers and a family came through my till. They were looking for a certain item and I had helped them find it. They happened to be out of town and I pointed them in the right direction. As my manager watched, she gave me a free lunch card afterwards for all the customer service I showed – less
Was a good job
Cashier (Former Employee), Prince georgeDecember 1, 2013
Not really room to move up, co-workers were awesome. Needed to learn 100 000 codes!
It was plessure work with people at Save-on-Foos
cosmetic, cashier, deli (Former Employee), Delta, BCSeptember 19, 2013
I liked working at Save on Foods.
Busy place that I learned a lot.The management very nice people.
Everyday I had a fun at work.I did not had a any difficulties working in this envirement I enjoyed...My co-workers was awsome very helpfull.
Good job while in school
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Abbotsford, BCJanuary 16, 2013
Gave me a flexible schedule so that I could work around by High School schedule. Was not a job that I thought could turn into a career.
great place to work
Grocery stock worker (Former Employee), Langley, BCDecember 27, 2012
Pros: responsibilities
I would order the stock for bulk grocery frozen and dairy and help customers out than train the new workers and out away stock. management was very good and so where all the people i worked with.
Grande Prairie Store
General Merchandise-non foods clerk (Former Employee), Grande PrairieDecember 9, 2012
Pros: union ensured raises according to hours worked
Cons: pay isn't great to start, but is good once you work a year or so.
It was great to work there. Good company.

Fun people to work with.
Very unprofessional management
Building Maintenance (Former Employee), Langley, BCNovember 13, 2012
Co-workers were great but management were very childish and unprofessional.

About Save-On-Foods

Save-On-Foods is a chain of supermarkets located across the Western Canadian provinces of British Columbia and Alberta.

Save-On-Foods Photos