Save-On-Foods Employee Reviews

great work environment to work in
Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK27 November 2016
I am enjoy the every single day of my work, store management is pretty good. the store has a very friendly environment that what other grocery stores mostly.....
Slave on Foods
Meat clerk (Former Employee) –  Walnut Grove, BC23 November 2016
You are a slave to this company, get out while you can before your soul withers to nothing. Management is terrible and can't lead their team worth anything. There's no communication whatsoever, I've worked there for 4 years and I'm barely making $14/hour. I bust my balls every single day for this company.
On a brighter note, I just quit the other day and I feel more free than I ever have
Cons
Fun place to work at. Easy.
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC21 November 2016
It was an awesome and easy place to work at, it just sucked when new managers came in, and didnt talk to the employees as I would have liked. Every one can be friendly there.
A fun place to work
Casual Part time (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC16 November 2016
Preparation and stocking of daily food items for consumption
Learned to be flexible
Management is fun
Co-workers are special and work very hard
Hardest part of job is lifting heavier food boxes
Most enjoyable is the atmosphere and people
Pros
Fun atmosphere and meeting customers
Cons
Not enough hours
Its like Family
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC15 November 2016
I worked at Save On Foods until I had breast cancer. They were so great with me. They sent me flowers and a fruit basket. Wanted to know how to help me.
Pros
Free Fruit and discounts
Cons
hours
Fun, family like feel to employees
Cashier/Grocery Clerk/ Meat Department Associate (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC12 November 2016
I loved working at Save on foods as i developed strong relationships with coworkers, supervisors and even customers. The way it worked was that it was a unit, If i was done my wheeler or my deck in stocking and i saw my coworker struggling and falling behind i gladly helped him or her finish as they would do the same for me. There was times when i worked for free for a few hours and stayed late to help out fellow employees. We give to the customer and all of us strongly believed that the customer should get what they want even if that meant losing money on a transaction. I never really ran out of energy because the whole work place is very sociable and the people i worked with were great. It really wasn't work and I often miss working there.
Pros
flexible work schedule, break every 2 hours
Cons
management changes every few years
Fun enviroment to work in
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB7 November 2016
Fast pace environment always kept busy helping customers and stocking shelves and displays. Management can be too strict sometimes but mostly they are a great individuals to work around, other staff members are great to work around and are very supportive of one another on most things job related. Like most jobs there are certain employees that will stop at nothing to discredit you to make themselves look better than you even if they are the ones at fault.
Pros
Always chances for moving up
Poor boss let me go after 3 days
Central Kitchen (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 November 2016
Was learning,and had previous experience in the 3 meat plants,Schienders,Maple Leaf Meats,and Freshwater Fish...
Never told me what I did wrong,and I know lots about the smoke house and etc...
Pros
Cons
Bad boss
Daily schedule changes
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 October 2016
I've never worked for a company that is so unorganized in the scheduling department . You provide your availability on a form and its useless because you're scheduled to their needs . You're called in and expected within the hour and if you cannot make it ( long bus commute) you will feel the negative vibe from the ' 25 to life employees ' , they call on almost everyday off and no joke DAILY schedule changes without being asked . Most shifts I got were 4 hours and the occassional 6 . I enjoyed the actual cashier job though especially busy days , learning all the codes ,talking with customers , good standing mats , comfortable working area and the music was today's hits I guess . If you like limited hours, daily schedule changes and if you can be there within a finger snap this will be for you .
Pros
Staff room food
Cons
Daily schedule changes
service clerk
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC25 October 2016
I really like working with people and doing baskets but the only things that I didn't really like about the jobs is that is was way to fast past and I didn't really get breaks
Pros
there was some of the jobs i liked with working with poeple
Cons
long hours and fast past
Really social environment
Cashier/Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mission, BC24 October 2016
On a typical day as a cashier, I would clock in, and be assigned a till to go to. There was a specific schedule that allowed every cashier to get a break every 2 hours (on an 8 hour shift, allowing that the floor wasn't extremely busy). Management for the most part was pretty cool but there were a couple higher-ups that were a bit of a pain. Everyone got along, leaving there was like leaving a family. The hardest part of the job was the scheduling; I could be called an hour in advance and be told I needed to come in. Also, booking days off/knowing which days you'll work was difficult if you wanted to know your schedule a week in advance.
Pros
Union, so great salary and benefits
Cons
Tiring work.
It was okay
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 October 2016
Job wasn't fun or anything, often were rushing to finish days work, forcing the job to be rast paced, environment and co-workers were good though
Cons
Often called in, often understaffed
Fun workplace
Customer service rep/ team member (Former Employee) –  Fort Mcmurray18 October 2016
Crazy busy place to work, always busy and keeps you on your feet day in and day out. If you want to be distracted from life, thats the place to be.
it was a good place to work with good salery but there was no job security
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC8 October 2016
i had a goood experiecne with my fellow workers there. but i had no idea how less my job was secured. i had good working enviornment. but the main problem was that, in some parts my training was not good and they dont even gave a single idea about how my job was.that was my 1st job. the casheier job was really good. i learned a lot about this job
Fun environment.
Front End Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 September 2016
Perfect oppurnitunity for those who are looking for their first job. Most positions ads part time, not a lot of full time hours. Very warming, and welcoming management team.
Okay Place to Work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC14 September 2016
It's on way place to work. Just started working at Save on Foods since the past 2 months and the only good thing I found good about the job was the pay, $11 hour ( higher than minimum wage). The hours for the job are just terrible, there have been moments where I got a call from Save On and they said " Hey you have to work with us in the next hour, can you come?". This is really terrible as someone could have plans for the day you can't just randomly call them and say to come within 60 minutes. Fixed schedule is way better as you can plan way ahead. Now towards the job, I started working as a cashier which was pretty okay-ish (Better than Walmart). You meet new people everyday and interact with them and handling money gives you experience. Slowly and slowly they make you work at places like the Bakery Department which is just horrible. The place is not clean and they make you work at the same spot for 8 hours with no one around you. It gets really boring as no one is around you and you can't even interact with people which is a big MINUS. Now, Im considering changing my job since I gathered some experience. The Management isn't that nice either, they don't even acknowledge your existence and treat you like you're a working robot.
Pros
Pay, experience
Cons
Terrible Hours, Bad Management
great place to work
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB12 September 2016
Save on foods was great to work for workers there are so friendly while working towards daily tasks like helping customers doing orders working with the managment and other staff members from different departments
Horrible place to work
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  BC1 September 2016
The managers treat you like you're completely worthless. There is such a divide between employees that have been there 25+ years and employees that have been there less than 10 and the less than 10 group are made to feel like second class citizens. Too much gossip, too much drama. Save yourself the headache and apply elsewhere.
Pros
Its a job with a paycheck
Cons
treated badly, low pay, drama
Not a great place to work at all
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 August 2016
In the 2 and a half years I worked there, I felt belittled constantly. I found I was doing everything right but felt personally slighted by both my department manager and store assistant manager. The department assistant manager was great, as was the store manager. I was put on probation for 6 months after working there for 4 months because I was 2 minutes late coming down from break. This was an isolated incident. When you are on break, you don't feel like you are on break. Bosses will be there supervising your breaks. I wish I could say this was only true about the particular store I worked at but I've heard similar things about other stores. On stock days bosses kept unrealistic quotas about the amount of product everyone was putting on the shelves per hour (something like 200 pieces). They would shame you in front of other staff and customers if you failed to meet the quota or if they caught you talking with customers for too long, or with coworkers at all. One time I called in sick twice in 3 days (god forbid I have a flu) and they implemented a protocol that if you call in sick twice in a row you must provide a doctors note. Felt bullied by bosses.

Hours were good though.
Pros
Good hours and flexibility
General Deli Clerk
General Deli Clerk & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC24 August 2016
Worked as a General Deli Clerk & Cashier
Created a positive customer experience at every interaction
Went above and beyond to help customers find what they were in need of
Followed the save on protocol “customer service first”
Responsible for making sure product was out and the case was full
Showed a clean environment by keeping it tidy