Save-On-Foods Employee Reviews

Fun environment.
Front End Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 15, 2016
Perfect oppurnitunity for those who are looking for their first job. Most positions ads part time, not a lot of full time hours. Very warming, and welcoming management team.
Okay Place to Work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 14, 2016
It's on way place to work. Just started working at Save on Foods since the past 2 months and the only good thing I found good about the job was the pay, $11 hour ( higher than minimum wage). The hours for the job are just terrible, there have been moments where I got a call from Save On and they said " Hey you have to work with us in the next hour, can you come?". This is really terrible as someone could have plans for the day you can't just randomly call them and say to come within 60 minutes. Fixed schedule is way better as you can plan way ahead. Now towards the job, I started working as a cashier which was pretty okay-ish (Better than Walmart). You meet new people everyday and interact with them and handling money gives you experience. Slowly and slowly they make you work at places like the Bakery Department which is just horrible. The place is not clean and they make you work at the same spot for 8 hours with no one around you. It gets really boring as no one is around you and you can't even interact with people which is a big MINUS. Now, Im considering changing my job since I gathered some experience. The Management isn't that nice either, they don't even acknowledge your existence and treat you like you're a working robot.
Pros
Pay, experience
Cons
Terrible Hours, Bad Management
great place to work
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABSeptember 12, 2016
Save on foods was great to work for workers there are so friendly while working towards daily tasks like helping customers doing orders working with the managment and other staff members from different departments
Horrible place to work
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  BCSeptember 1, 2016
The managers treat you like you're completely worthless. There is such a divide between employees that have been there 25+ years and employees that have been there less than 10 and the less than 10 group are made to feel like second class citizens. Too much gossip, too much drama. Save yourself the headache and apply elsewhere.
Pros
Its a job with a paycheck
Cons
treated badly, low pay, drama
Not a great place to work at all
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 25, 2016
In the 2 and a half years I worked there, I felt belittled constantly. I found I was doing everything right but felt personally slighted by both my department manager and store assistant manager. The department assistant manager was great, as was the store manager. I was put on probation for 6 months after working there for 4 months because I was 2 minutes late coming down from break. This was an isolated incident. When you are on break, you don't feel like you are on break. Bosses will be there supervising your breaks. I wish I could say this was only true about the particular store I worked at but I've heard similar things about other stores. On stock days bosses kept unrealistic quotas about the amount of product everyone was putting on the shelves per hour (something like 200 pieces). They would shame you in front of other staff and customers if you failed to meet the quota or if they caught you talking with customers for too long, or with coworkers at all. One time I called in sick twice in 3 days (god forbid I have a flu) and they implemented a protocol that if you call in sick twice in a row you must provide a doctors note. Felt bullied by bosses.

Hours were good though.
Pros
Good hours and flexibility
General Deli Clerk
General Deli Clerk & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCAugust 24, 2016
Worked as a General Deli Clerk & Cashier
Created a positive customer experience at every interaction
Went above and beyond to help customers find what they were in need of
Followed the save on protocol “customer service first”
Responsible for making sure product was out and the case was full
Showed a clean environment by keeping it tidy
not fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BCAugust 21, 2016
Some days were better than most. But only the very busy days. When I had an injury from outside of work and presented a doctors note for light duty they had me take the days off instead, even when I told them I couldn't afford the days off.

Made myself available to work in other departments but they instead hired new people or trained others that already worked in many other departments.
Pros
Free food occasionally
Cons
everything else
Great job opportunities.
Ecommerce Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKAugust 18, 2016
I am proud to work for Save-On-Foods. The Ecommerce department is relatively new but the culture of the company is what's impressed me the most. I have met many managers from Langley who starred working as a part time job and 25 or 35 years later they are still here. Now,that alone says a lot for the company.
Pros
The training programs give you whatever you want to succeed.
Alright job
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 4, 2016
Since my job was graveyard hours, I wouldn't say it was the ideal situation. Although, I still really enjoyed this job! I became very close with my co-workers and we always had a great time at work, it was like one big family. Best part about my job was working there! The hardest part about my job was the hours..
friendly co-workers, job security
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJune 27, 2016
I work with cheery people and customers and I am always learning how to work with four generations of co-workers. It's interesting to see how much different people really are and how to approach each person. Management is supportive and always lend a helpful ear. My co-workers are knowledgeable and easy to get along with. There is no really "hard" part of the job. With everyone working together as a team, we work as a solid unit, so all in all, we all help each other work to make things run like a well tuned oiled machine. I won't lie, working in Produce we get to try any new product that comes in so we can educate the customer on the fruit or vegetable. Trying exotic or new fruit or vegetables that come in is fun to taste, but letting people know about what they can actually do with it, is funner.
Not overly fun and not overly satisfying.
Produce/Floral Clerk (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMay 19, 2016
At first it seemed like a great job. I'd go to work and begin the day
by loading wheelers and putting out produce.
I have learned absolutely nothing.
Management sucked for many reasons, they began cutting hours and without warning I could lose a shift or gain a shift. Not once did they call.
I did a few co-workers but only one that was in my department. He was friendly and very helpful.
The hardest part of thr job was coming into work and having to deal with caddy people.
The most enjoyable part was going home.
Cons
not enough hours, rude co-workers, managment sucked.
productive work place
Restaurant Clerk (Current Employee) –  Langley, BCApril 13, 2016
i have morning shifts and i love my job.
its the best part of my day to spend over there.
its fun and productive work place .
i have very nice co workers
awesome place to work
CLERK (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BCApril 8, 2016
i love this company. great people to work with. job security, good pay. they work around student schedules and really appreciate their employees.
Pros
always fed their employees
Good job for students
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCMarch 23, 2016
I enjoyed working at Save On Foods, they provided me with a positive work environment and I gained customer service experience.
Pros
Good enviroment
Cons
Inflexible hours
Productive, and management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 15, 2016
- Customer service is well known and highly prioritize comparing to other grocery stores.
- Manages co-worker's break-time and schedule
Pros
Free food
Cons
Strain injuries
Great for part time employment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  South Surrey, BCMarch 7, 2016
I was taking summer courses while at Save-On-Foods, and they were quite flexible with my schedule. They have a great management team, a safe working environment, and they accommodated every employees work schedule.
Thought it would be a good job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCFebruary 23, 2016
I was hired under the premises that it was a full time position, its a great atmosphere and the people I work with are great. At least I think they are but the guaranteed 35-40 hours a week has some how turned into 4 hours over three weeks, and random phone calls asking me to come in. I'd be fine with on-call if it was something they had told us would happen or be a possibility or put on call on the schedule so you know not to plan anything for that day. And when asking about hours or the lack there of, we keep getting the run around about how its normal and they'll call us, or check the schedule online every day as things are always changing. That's nice but my rent doesn't get paid this way.
If it was not for the hours I would love this job and not be looking for a new one. It really is a great place to work
Pros
Friendly co-worker, decent paced, weekly pay cheques, benefits
Cons
LACK OF HOURS
Fast paced and exciting
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 20, 2016
A lot of unqualified workers , but great higher ups. The management was very professional and they ran a tight ship. Hardest part was picking up the slack of other people, sometimes taking the lead is necessary.
Safe and comfortable, and rather enjoyable at times
Deli/Cashier/Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCFebruary 15, 2016
Was always a fun atmosphere with awesome people to work with! Was only a bit frustrating when it came to getting a couple days off for family, or medical related events.
Pros
Awesome people, good instruction
Cons
Schedule Manager wasn't all that kind most of the time
Good overall
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 8, 2016
I worked in many different locations over 13 years of employment and I was lucky enough to only encounter one manager who I did not get along with. Each store is different but overall it was great.