Save-On-Foods Employee Reviews

Great place to work hard and learn many different skills. My favourite job.
general grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Ironwood, Richmond, B.C.15 March 2017
You would work in different departments, and learn anything from how to stock shelves, unload trucks, set up floral displays, clean, cull and fill the produce department, or helping customers on the service desk. My favourite job ever.
Pros
Able to book unpaid days off, and flexible schedules.
Cons
Working an early morning shift and then a late night shift the day after. Hard on the body.
It was good but it got too repetitive.
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB6 March 2017
I liked working there, the people were friendly and the work was manageable. I loved the morning shifts especially since I got to work with other people which i preferred. Sadly due to school I mainly got closing shifts, which meant me, all by my self, alone. But it taught me how to handle problems, sometimes things would go wrong and I'd have to fix it my self, which is good. But in the end It was getting to repetitive.
Pros
Always busy, Flexible Schedule, Great Management
Cons
Repetitive, Handling Frozen Foods
I enjoyed my time with Save on Foods
Cashier, Produce, Meat, and General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 March 2017
While I thoroughly enjoyed being a part of the Save on Foods team, the constant changing of management and lack of communication between levels of management led to tough advancement. The lack of functionality of the website and schedule along with lack of consistent scheduling and frequent last minute schedule changes made maintaining other aspects of life difficult. The team atmosphere was by far my favorite part of the job, having the ability to work in 5 different areas of the store sometimes all in one week let my work with a variety of people from different walks of life and make friendships that I maintain even after working there.
Pros
Wonderful team environment
Cons
No consistency in what job I'd be working, no consistency in hours or days worked, completely different demands from 6 different managers over 12 months
Hard
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB3 March 2017
There is a lot of hard labor depending on which division you work in. Not many hours given to do the job expected. Management is nice and understanding.
An alright place to work temporarily
Everywhere (Current Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC27 February 2017
The managment team that I had tended to not appreciate any of their employees, beside the select favourited people. Nothing was ever good enough. They regularly broke the union contract and guilt tripped you if you ever brought any issues to them.
Pros
Awesome team members
Cons
Managment
Not too bad
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC27 February 2017
I hate the hours, but enjoy working there for the most part.
The Management is nice, almost everyone else is too.
Hard work. Customers can be pretty rude. But most are good!
Pay isnt great, but good benefits.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Horrible hours
Good place to work if you are in for the long haul
DS (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 February 2017
Great people to work with. Good work/life balance and great benefits. You get a raise every 500 hours that you work. Management can be great or horrible depending who they have in the store for top management. Department managers are usually pretty good. Advancement depends more on seniority in the company than other related work experience.
Pros
Great people to work with, good work/life balance
Cons
Unionized, top store management if not the right people
Great
Parkwood, Prince George - Cashier/Clerk (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC7 February 2017
Great people and great hours! great summer job for those going to school, they are very flexible with hours! There is always an opportunity to learn and grow in this company.
Beware of supervisors
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC4 February 2017
When it comes to Save-on, you have to hold your pride and values when working under the supervisors they choose. There is a clear sign on what type of person they want as a supervisor, and that person does not like the kid with a leader personality type. They want followers, a yes man for minimum wage. When I call you a kid, you better think you are. The median age in their stores are ~30. There are many elderly and middle-aged workers in the chain. Sure they were the best part of the job, they were really nice, but you will probably get along with them as uncles and aunts more than co-workers. Since they are older, and have worked there longer than you, every mistake you make is going straight to the condesending supervisor.
Pros
Coworkers are nice and helpful
Cons
Condesending Supervisor
Impossible to balance your personal life with work
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC2 February 2017
They say that schedules are flexible. Truth is you need to be available to work at anytime. One day you work in the morning, the next day in the afternoon, another day in graveyard. And it doesn't have a pattern. Each week is different so you cannot make plans out of work. They don't mind to allocate you in departaments where you don't feel comfortable or safe to work. You will hear many promises before you accept a job there. Managers look cool and smile all the time for you to think you're in the best place in the world. Do not fall for it.
Cons
Irregular shifts, hard life balancing

Want to know more about Save-On-Foods?

Ask a question
Not that great
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC28 January 2017
I worked at this ironwood save on for 2 years and the only enjoyable thing in there we my coworkers. The management and supervisors wont care about you and will belittle you. The only reason one would want to get this job is if youre struggling to find a job anywhere else.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Management, supervisors and everthing else
Would not recommend
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC19 January 2017
Weekly pay is nice. The money you get is not.

Management at Abbotsford location is so out of touch.

The "flexible schedules" and "posted three weeks in advance" is a stretch to say the least. Be prepared to have your schedule changed a couple days before you work without warning.

I've worked with the company for 4 months and haven't met the management yet.

Employees are hung up on when they call in sick, leaving us in the dark.

Staffing is always an issue, you never know how many of your team will be there, and thus how much work you will need to do.

New employees are thrown to the wolves, as the large group of 20+ year workers makes for a bit of an old boys club.

When staffing is right, work is not hard, but with rinkydink management and bush-league leadership, I cannot recommend this company, which is too bad considering the potential of a locally-owned, unionized environment.
Pros
weekly pay, coffee machine
Cons
no leadership, scheduling
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC18 January 2017
Save-On is a great employer. Everyone becomes like a big family, which makes the work days go by quickly. Solid hours, benefits when working the required amount of hours, friendly staff, great management.
repeatitive, team based work
facer (Former Employee) –  109st and jasper ave14 January 2017
works 5-6 hours a day facing grocery aisles, most of the time people will ask where to find something and i'll tell them or show them where it is. hardest thing is getting everything done before the end of the day.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
mostly works at night as a part0time job
Save on Foods
Delivery Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 January 2017
Managment does not understand day to day operations, pay is good though no guaranteed hours.

You can have very good days and very bad days as scheduling isn't done properly and you sometimes have to do the work of two people.
Ok place to work
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC12 January 2017
Fun but didn't like the whole overall direction the company was going with cross departments . To many people don't care cus there part time and only there for a day:(
Pros
Close to home
Cons
My manager and I didn't see eye to eye
weekly pay, lifetime of regret
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 January 2017
Oh Save-On....what a bittersweet meal you serve. Being owned by one of Vancouvers richest and generally cheapest men is strike one, as shown by the completely out-of-touch wages. Strike two being the so-called "supervisors" (except maybe 2-3) who don't train properly & throw the heap of their work on whatever new suck-up is working the hardest (with no chance of ever progressing up the hierarchy). This place (especially the Cambie location) apparently went to the outhouse when the union got in and pretty much sided against the clerks. The only plus? They are always hiring (surprise, surprise) and thus if one needs quick experience and a weekly cheque (not bi-weekly) it's there....anyone else should avoid like the plague.
Pros
weekly pay, always work
Cons
lifetime of regret, supervisors from hades
Great plae to work
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC5 January 2017
Lots of opportunity for advancement, good pay (above minimum wage), great benefits...not always great people to work with
Some managers were okay, others were horrible.
Deli Clerk, Shelf stocking (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 January 2017
Depends on which department you get into whether you will have an enjoyable experience or not. Overall pay was pretty low for the amount of stuff you had to deal with. Good starting job for someone in highschool.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Minimal staff that is over wo
Bullied by management
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grandview-Woodlands, BC23 December 2016
This company is not a positive work environment do not work at grand view location management bullies staff please don't work here it's just a bunch of liars
Pros
Cons
Bullied

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save-On-Foods. Our community is ready to answer.