Save-On-Foods Employee Reviews

Would not recommend
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC19 January 2017
Weekly pay is nice. The money you get is not.

Management at Abbotsford location is so out of touch.

The "flexible schedules" and "posted three weeks in advance" is a stretch to say the least. Be prepared to have your schedule changed a couple days before you work without warning.

I've worked with the company for 4 months and haven't met the management yet.

Employees are hung up on when they call in sick, leaving us in the dark.

Staffing is always an issue, you never know how many of your team will be there, and thus how much work you will need to do.

New employees are thrown to the wolves, as the large group of 20+ year workers makes for a bit of an old boys club.

When staffing is right, work is not hard, but with rinkydink management and bush-league leadership, I cannot recommend this company, which is too bad considering the potential of a locally-owned, unionized environment.
Pros
weekly pay, coffee machine
Cons
no leadership, scheduling
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC18 January 2017
Save-On is a great employer. Everyone becomes like a big family, which makes the work days go by quickly. Solid hours, benefits when working the required amount of hours, friendly staff, great management.
repeatitive, team based work
facer (Former Employee) –  109st and jasper ave14 January 2017
works 5-6 hours a day facing grocery aisles, most of the time people will ask where to find something and i'll tell them or show them where it is. hardest thing is getting everything done before the end of the day.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
mostly works at night as a part0time job
Save on Foods
Delivery Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 January 2017
Managment does not understand day to day operations, pay is good though no guaranteed hours.

You can have very good days and very bad days as scheduling isn't done properly and you sometimes have to do the work of two people.
Ok place to work
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC12 January 2017
Fun but didn't like the whole overall direction the company was going with cross departments . To many people don't care cus there part time and only there for a day:(
Pros
Close to home
Cons
My manager and I didn't see eye to eye
weekly pay, lifetime of regret
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 January 2017
Oh Save-On....what a bittersweet meal you serve. Being owned by one of Vancouvers richest and generally cheapest men is strike one, as shown by the completely out-of-touch wages. Strike two being the so-called "supervisors" (except maybe 2-3) who don't train properly & throw the heap of their work on whatever new suck-up is working the hardest (with no chance of ever progressing up the hierarchy). This place (especially the Cambie location) apparently went to the outhouse when the union got in and pretty much sided against the clerks. The only plus? They are always hiring (surprise, surprise) and thus if one needs quick experience and a weekly cheque (not bi-weekly) it's there....anyone else should avoid like the plague.
Pros
weekly pay, always work
Cons
lifetime of regret, supervisors from hades
Great plae to work
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC5 January 2017
Lots of opportunity for advancement, good pay (above minimum wage), great benefits...not always great people to work with
Some managers were okay, others were horrible.
Deli Clerk, Shelf stocking (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 January 2017
Depends on which department you get into whether you will have an enjoyable experience or not. Overall pay was pretty low for the amount of stuff you had to deal with. Good starting job for someone in highschool.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Minimal staff that is over wo
Bullied by management
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grandview-Woodlands, BC23 December 2016
This company is not a positive work environment do not work at grand view location management bullies staff please don't work here it's just a bunch of liars
Pros
Cons
Bullied
great work environment to work in
Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK27 November 2016
I am enjoy the every single day of my work, store management is pretty good. the store has a very friendly environment that what other grocery stores mostly.....
Slave on Foods
Meat clerk (Former Employee) –  Walnut Grove, BC23 November 2016
You are a slave to this company, get out while you can before your soul withers to nothing. Management is terrible and can't lead their team worth anything. There's no communication whatsoever, I've worked there for 4 years and I'm barely making $14/hour. I bust my balls every single day for this company.
On a brighter note, I just quit the other day and I feel more free than I ever have
Cons
Fun place to work at. Easy.
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC21 November 2016
It was an awesome and easy place to work at, it just sucked when new managers came in, and didnt talk to the employees as I would have liked. Every one can be friendly there.
A fun place to work
Casual Part time (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC16 November 2016
Preparation and stocking of daily food items for consumption
Learned to be flexible
Management is fun
Co-workers are special and work very hard
Hardest part of job is lifting heavier food boxes
Most enjoyable is the atmosphere and people
Pros
Fun atmosphere and meeting customers
Cons
Not enough hours
Its like Family
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC15 November 2016
I worked at Save On Foods until I had breast cancer. They were so great with me. They sent me flowers and a fruit basket. Wanted to know how to help me.
Pros
Free Fruit and discounts
Cons
hours
Fun, family like feel to employees
Cashier/Grocery Clerk/ Meat Department Associate (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC12 November 2016
I loved working at Save on foods as i developed strong relationships with coworkers, supervisors and even customers. The way it worked was that it was a unit, If i was done my wheeler or my deck in stocking and i saw my coworker struggling and falling behind i gladly helped him or her finish as they would do the same for me. There was times when i worked for free for a few hours and stayed late to help out fellow employees. We give to the customer and all of us strongly believed that the customer should get what they want even if that meant losing money on a transaction. I never really ran out of energy because the whole work place is very sociable and the people i worked with were great. It really wasn't work and I often miss working there.
Pros
flexible work schedule, break every 2 hours
Cons
management changes every few years
Fun enviroment to work in
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB7 November 2016
Fast pace environment always kept busy helping customers and stocking shelves and displays. Management can be too strict sometimes but mostly they are a great individuals to work around, other staff members are great to work around and are very supportive of one another on most things job related. Like most jobs there are certain employees that will stop at nothing to discredit you to make themselves look better than you even if they are the ones at fault.
Pros
Always chances for moving up
Poor boss let me go after 3 days
Central Kitchen (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 November 2016
Was learning,and had previous experience in the 3 meat plants,Schienders,Maple Leaf Meats,and Freshwater Fish...
Never told me what I did wrong,and I know lots about the smoke house and etc...
Pros
Cons
Bad boss
Daily schedule changes
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 October 2016
I've never worked for a company that is so unorganized in the scheduling department . You provide your availability on a form and its useless because you're scheduled to their needs . You're called in and expected within the hour and if you cannot make it ( long bus commute) you will feel the negative vibe from the ' 25 to life employees ' , they call on almost everyday off and no joke DAILY schedule changes without being asked . Most shifts I got were 4 hours and the occassional 6 . I enjoyed the actual cashier job though especially busy days , learning all the codes ,talking with customers , good standing mats , comfortable working area and the music was today's hits I guess . If you like limited hours, daily schedule changes and if you can be there within a finger snap this will be for you .
Pros
Staff room food
Cons
Daily schedule changes
service clerk
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC25 October 2016
I really like working with people and doing baskets but the only things that I didn't really like about the jobs is that is was way to fast past and I didn't really get breaks
Pros
there was some of the jobs i liked with working with poeple
Cons
long hours and fast past
Really social environment
Cashier/Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mission, BC24 October 2016
On a typical day as a cashier, I would clock in, and be assigned a till to go to. There was a specific schedule that allowed every cashier to get a break every 2 hours (on an 8 hour shift, allowing that the floor wasn't extremely busy). Management for the most part was pretty cool but there were a couple higher-ups that were a bit of a pain. Everyone got along, leaving there was like leaving a family. The hardest part of the job was the scheduling; I could be called an hour in advance and be told I needed to come in. Also, booking days off/knowing which days you'll work was difficult if you wanted to know your schedule a week in advance.
Pros
Union, so great salary and benefits
Cons
Tiring work.