Save-On-Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

Thought it would be a good job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCFebruary 23, 2016
I was hired under the premises that it was a full time position, its a great atmosphere and the people I work with are great. At least I think they are but the guaranteed 35-40 hours a week has some how turned into 4 hours over three weeks, and random phone calls asking me to come in. I'd be fine with on-call if it was something they had told us would happen or be a possibility or put on call on the schedule so you know not to plan anything for that day. And when asking about hours or the lack there of, we keep getting the run around about how its normal and they'll call us, or check the schedule online every day as things are always changing. That's nice but my rent doesn't get paid this way.
If it was not for the hours I would love this job and not be looking for a new one. It really is a great place to work
Pros
Friendly co-worker, decent paced, weekly pay cheques, benefits
Cons
LACK OF HOURS
friendly co-workers, job security
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJune 27, 2016
I work with cheery people and customers and I am always learning how to work with four generations of co-workers. It's interesting to see how much different people really are and how to approach each person. Management is supportive and always lend a helpful ear. My co-workers are knowledgeable and easy to get along with. There is no really "hard" part of the job. With everyone working together as a team, we work as a solid unit, so all in all, we all help each other work to make things run like a well tuned oiled machine. I won't lie, working in Produce we get to try any new product that comes in so we can educate the customer on the fruit or vegetable. Trying exotic or new fruit or vegetables that come in is fun to taste, but letting people know about what they can actually do with it, is funner.
Not overly fun and not overly satisfying.
Produce/Floral Clerk (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMay 19, 2016
At first it seemed like a great job. I'd go to work and begin the day
by loading wheelers and putting out produce.
I have learned absolutely nothing.
Management sucked for many reasons, they began cutting hours and without warning I could lose a shift or gain a shift. Not once did they call.
I did a few co-workers but only one that was in my department. He was friendly and very helpful.
The hardest part of thr job was coming into work and having to deal with caddy people.
The most enjoyable part was going home.
Cons
not enough hours, rude co-workers, managment sucked.
Great people, poor management
Grocery Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCDecember 14, 2015
Everyone there was really nice to work with, very understanding. What they fail to warn you about during orientation and training is you are on a "three strikes and you're out" kind of rule. They don't tell you this, they don't warn you when you're using them; heaven forbid you actually get really sick during the three month probation and it counts as a strike. Half the supervisors I talked to seemed to not care for whatever reason you had, no matter how personal it was. This particular store was very understaffed as well, yet they'll freely let people go for simply being two minutes late. Doesn't matter how good of a worker you are either.
Besides that, I loved the everyone I worked with, some of the nicest people I've ever met. Standing for 4-8 hours at a till isn't so bad, comfy shoes and the "anti-fatigue" mats really help. In an 8 hour shift you get two 15 minute breaks and a 30 so it's at least spread out a bit.
Would really like to see management change for the new hires, at least have the decency to warn them, it's not hard.
Pros
Friendly people, decent hours
Cons
Poor Management, understaffed
Terrible culture
Delivery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port CoquitlamOctober 3, 2015
I was one of the first hired for this position when this service just got off the ground. At first they make you feel like family then its downhill from there. The managers who run this program hired all their family and friends and promote them immediately over other workers who deserve it or have been there longer. They dont even try to hide what they are doing either. They also micro manage and are constantly watching you via gps. They dont have enough work to do on the down time so they expect you to deliver flyers on foot. No loyalty to their employees its all about the customer. im my opinion if you treat your employees like family they will work hard for you but at save on foods you are expendable and if you dont know any of the higher ups you have no chance to advance at this company. One of the worst places I have ever worked straight up!
Pros
pay is ok
Cons
no consistency, micro managed, no chance to advance, back breaking work, bosses are condescending
Great for part time employment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  South Surrey, BCMarch 7, 2016
I was taking summer courses while at Save-On-Foods, and they were quite flexible with my schedule. They have a great management team, a safe working environment, and they accommodated every employees work schedule.
Alright job
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 4, 2016
Since my job was graveyard hours, I wouldn't say it was the ideal situation. Although, I still really enjoyed this job! I became very close with my co-workers and we always had a great time at work, it was like one big family. Best part about my job was working there! The hardest part about my job was the hours..
okay workplace
food clerk (Current Employee) –  Langley, BCAugust 20, 2015
ive learned a lot from people at saveon foods, i have learned how to listen better when people have complaints, i now know not to take home what happens at work because of what the people at saveon has taught me. the hardest part of the job is not being listened to by management, they really dont care about us.
some of the regular customers that come in makes my job worth it and it has made me stick around for longer than i should have in my opinion.
Pros
coffee machine upstairs, love some of the staff members there.
Cons
long hours on your feet, they dont rotate people around as much as they should, dont properly train people, dont care what we have to say
great work environment with good training
General Clerk, Bakery, Produce and Floral (Current Employee) –  White Rock, BCDecember 1, 2015
It is a fun, fast paced workplace, with many opportunities and ways to move up. Management is supportive and my colleagues make the job enjoyable, as well as teach me new things I didn't already know about my job. I am however, looking to find something new and exciting, as I feel that my time spent at Save-On Foods will lead me to bigger and better opportunities in a new workplace.
Pros
Supportive environment
Cons
Not enough staff
Nice people to work with and for.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 29, 2016
I enjoyed meeting some really nice people at Save- On- Foods;
at both of the stores I worked at.

For the most part, management there was very good.

I was able to bring all my skills I learned working at
Safeway to Save-On.

Working with people, both customers and staff, was the best part
of my job as Cashier.
Fast paced and exciting
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 20, 2016
A lot of unqualified workers , but great higher ups. The management was very professional and they ran a tight ship. Hardest part was picking up the slack of other people, sometimes taking the lead is necessary.
Interesting and Challengin Workplace
Bakery Manager, Cambie (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 15, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is leading the team into producing delicious baked goods. I also enjoy working with customers and exceeding their expectations. Nothing is more rewarding than getting customer feedback.

A typical week at work involves scheduling staff, budget forecasts, placing orders, following-up with team to ensure tasks are being accomplished, creating displays, suggest ideas to increase sales per hour, merchandising and communicating with reps from other companies.

I've learned a lot in my time at Save-On-Foods. Skills and contacts I'll have for the rest of my career.
Pros
benefits, excellent pay
Cons
not having more say in who gets to work in my department (cross-training store)
it is a very good place to work, especially if you are starting out.
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  magrath location, edmontonDecember 11, 2015
I have worked at save-on-foods for 15 years and found it to be very friendly and welcoming to everyone. It did not matter which location that I have worked at, they are always flexible with hours and the needs that you have with your family.They are also very involved in giving back to the community.

The hard part is like any other place , dealing with cranky and angry customers. the Best part is when you help a customer find what they are missing and you get a big smile from them.
Pleasant & good synergy
Cashier/Customer Service Desk, Kitchen-Clerk (Former Employee) –  Canmore, ABJanuary 28, 2016
I like working at Save On Foods because my fellow co workers are kind, responsible, and very helpful with me and others. When my personal life got out of hand my co workers were understanding of my situation and respected that my personal needs needed to be met otherwise work will not be properly done.
Fast paced and fun working conditions
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJanuary 5, 2016
My experience with Save On Foods was fun, enjoyable and secure. I learned how to safely handle foods of all kinds, foodsafe cert management was very helpful and understanding. My co-workers were the best part of the job, very fun to work with
Save on Foods
PHARMACIST (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCFebruary 7, 2015
Quite a busy store with lots to keep busy, from patient counselling to checking compliance packs for patients. Management and staff always treated me respectfully and were friendly to our patients. Like most pharmacies, insurance issues could be challenging and at times frustrating. Knowing that you made a difference in a patient's health and well being was quite satisfying
Pros
good benefits and good scheduling
Cons
sometimes inadequate staffing
productive workplace where i learned many new skills
General clerk/bakery worker (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BCJanuary 13, 2016
Save On Foods is a really good place to work at and i would love to apply there again. the fast paced environment was good for keeping me up and active. each new thing i learned taught me skills that i could then put to my everyday life.
Pros
hour long lunches and the friendly people (also the free fruit)
Cons
Sporadic hours
Safe and comfortable, and rather enjoyable at times
Deli/Cashier/Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCFebruary 15, 2016
Was always a fun atmosphere with awesome people to work with! Was only a bit frustrating when it came to getting a couple days off for family, or medical related events.
Pros
Awesome people, good instruction
Cons
Schedule Manager wasn't all that kind most of the time
Productive, and management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 15, 2016
- Customer service is well known and highly prioritize comparing to other grocery stores.
- Manages co-worker's break-time and schedule
Pros
Free food
Cons
Strain injuries
awesome place to work
CLERK (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BCApril 8, 2016
i love this company. great people to work with. job security, good pay. they work around student schedules and really appreciate their employees.
Pros
always fed their employees