Save-On-Foods

Save-On-Foods Employee Reviews

Slow, Awkward.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BCMay 22, 2014
First 3 days of training everyone was all nice, friendly and helpful. I learned right away there was a "3 strike" rule. I got my first one at 5 after 7 in the morning for a training shift. I waited outside for half an hour. (Had to be there a little early) Because new employees don't get the code to the door. I tried calling but no answer and a few minutes after my shift started my trainer came out and gave me my first strike for being late. My other 2 came from almost that exact reason. There were bugs all over and underneath the tills, it was impossible to do a good cleaning job with nest of bugs everywhere. Other cashiers weren't helpful, there was no training for messes, holdups, or techincal issues. I am doing online schooling so i applied for 30+ hours a week. I got maybe 12 a week. And the days that they called me in on my off days, they would call at 7am or late at night. The worst thing of all though, I was working and had about 2 hours left on my shift and I had started puking on my break. What did my manager say? "Go wash your hands you only have 2 more hours." HELLO, I'm barfing, this is contaigous, and you want me to keep on handling peoples produce and house hold items? EW. I hope my future job is a little more straight forward and understanding of new workers and has some sanitary boundaries.
This was my first ever time working legitimatly and not just volunteer work. And the experience was brutal.
Pros
amazing calzones
Cons
almost everything.
Great people, poor management
Grocery Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCDecember 14, 2015
Everyone there was really nice to work with, very understanding. What they fail to warn you about during orientation and training is you are on a "three strikes and you're out" kind of rule. They don't tell you this, they don't warn you when you're using them; heaven forbid you actually get really sick during the three month probation and it counts as a strike. Half the supervisors I talked to seemed to not care for whatever reason you had, no matter how personal it was. This particular store was very understaffed as well, yet they'll freely let people go for simply being two minutes late. Doesn't matter how good of a worker you are either.
Besides that, I loved the everyone I worked with, some of the nicest people I've ever met. Standing for 4-8 hours at a till isn't so bad, comfy shoes and the "anti-fatigue" mats really help. In an 8 hour shift you get two 15 minute breaks and a 30 so it's at least spread out a bit.
Would really like to see management change for the new hires, at least have the decency to warn them, it's not hard.
Pros
Friendly people, decent hours
Cons
Poor Management, understaffed
Overwaitea is a poorly organized and managed company, but up front it offers good products for customers.
RECEIVER (from Jan. 2009) / GROCERY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABOctober 9, 2014
I was very relieved to retire from Overwaitea in April 2014, after 15 years with the company. There is a lot of ineptness at the h/q in Vancouver, and the company generally is hypocritical with respect to health & safety, customer service, teamwork and communications. Our store that was built three years ago is poorly designed for safety, efficiency, and keeping perishables cool after receiving. Working retail hours is hard on one's family and community involvement. What I learned from the job was the work ethic of putting out on an hour-by-hour and day-in-and-day-out basis. Even though I hated the job, I don't recall taking any more than one day off for sickness. When I walked away at the end of any day, I knew that the company-- warts and all-- was still providing customers with a lot of good products. Even now, I do about half of my grocery shopping at Save-On-Foods.
Pros
easy to do grocery shopping at the end of my shift.
Cons
large high-volume retailer with no warehouse in edmonton region.
Safe and easy workplace
Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 9, 2014
Some of the things I do daily for my job is to head out in the parking lot of Save-On-Foods and to grab all the carts and park them inside where the customers can receive them. I also do returns which are grocery items that have been left behind so my job is to return to its rightful place. I've learned many things about my job and those things are that a grocery store is a very sociable and safe place to work in and the workplace is very appealing. My managers are very serious with their jobs but are still very nice to all our diverse staff. My co-workers are very welcoming and introduce me to things that are new to the place. The hardest part of my job is when all the carts are being occupied by customers on a busy day that are inside the store and my main struggle is to look for any available carts outside to give to the customers. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I get witness a sociable and helpful staff and that I'm proud to be a part of it.
Pros
great staff and free lunches
Cons
short hours
Terrible culture
Delivery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port CoquitlamOctober 3, 2015
I was one of the first hired for this position when this service just got off the ground. At first they make you feel like family then its downhill from there. The managers who run this program hired all their family and friends and promote them immediately over other workers who deserve it or have been there longer. They dont even try to hide what they are doing either. They also micro manage and are constantly watching you via gps. They dont have enough work to do on the down time so they expect you to deliver flyers on foot. No loyalty to their employees its all about the customer. im my opinion if you treat your employees like family they will work hard for you but at save on foods you are expendable and if you dont know any of the higher ups you have no chance to advance at this company. One of the worst places I have ever worked straight up!
Pros
pay is ok
Cons
no consistency, micro managed, no chance to advance, back breaking work, bosses are condescending
A fun and fast paced productive environment.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 3, 2015
A typical day at work included me cutting cheese and helping customers, keeping our products fully stocked and our front case clean and fresh 100% of the time. I made sure that everyone I worked with that day was on task and not goofing off.

I learned how to smile everyday when I came into work and I learned how to make customers happy, even if they came to me dissatisfied.

My co-workers were very kind and supportive the majority of the time, and my manager always had something to say to improve upon my work and make me into a better employee.

The hardest part of the job was to continue putting on a smile daily when some days i really did not feel like smiling. But I managed it.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work with such a fantastic team that taught me so much about working, life, and most of all about myself.
Not bad
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, WilloughbyMay 15, 2014
The location I worked at was understaffed. It was impossible for me to take a day off without begging the manager for it. Also, every time i asked for a day off the manager always gave me a hard time. Also people from other departments were not very friendly. The schedules were VERY inconsistent and literally changed on a daily basis. My co-workers were all full timers who had been working there for several years and i was only a student. I didnt mind the gender gap but I felt like they were giving me too many shifts because I was unable to concentrate on school. But other than that, I worked as a cashier and it was whatever. I worked here for roughly 6 months because it was becoming tough to balance school and work. I also worked at McDonalds prior to this job and I liked McDonalds better.
Pros
good hours
Cons
hard to get days off
Interesting and Challengin Workplace
Bakery Manager, Cambie (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 15, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is leading the team into producing delicious baked goods. I also enjoy working with customers and exceeding their expectations. Nothing is more rewarding than getting customer feedback.

A typical week at work involves scheduling staff, budget forecasts, placing orders, following-up with team to ensure tasks are being accomplished, creating displays, suggest ideas to increase sales per hour, merchandising and communicating with reps from other companies.

I've learned a lot in my time at Save-On-Foods. Skills and contacts I'll have for the rest of my career.
Pros
benefits, excellent pay
Cons
not having more say in who gets to work in my department (cross-training store)
Lovely product codes.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West KelownaJanuary 24, 2014
The Hardest part of this job was to learn and memorize all product codes for each fruit or vegetable. I loved to be a cashier and converse and help customers. I was able to have them memorized but that was the most difficult for me. I spent nights upon nights studying the product codes.

One night i was closing and the last cashier to be at the cash registers and a family came through my till. They were looking for a certain item and I had helped them find it. They happened to be out of town and I pointed them in the right direction. As my manager watched, she gave me a free lunch card afterwards for all the customer service I showed
Pros
good at my job
Cons
product code memorization
Good experience with flexible hours
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta (Ellerslie location)May 2, 2013
Being a meat clerk i usually worked early mornings or late nights. My duties included preparing all the meat/seafood, changing product, changing prices, facing, stocking the back, cleaning, preparing food, and clean up.

Least enjoyable part was being allergic to the majority of the seafood section and feeling sick on the job. Most enjoyable to me was talking to returning customers and hearing about their experiences.

Management was excellent except for the few power hungry superiors who seemed to enjoy bossing the part time employ's.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
wasteful, felt like i couldn't advance, some managers were not good to work with
okay workplace
food clerk (Current Employee) –  Langley, BCAugust 20, 2015
ive learned a lot from people at saveon foods, i have learned how to listen better when people have complaints, i now know not to take home what happens at work because of what the people at saveon has taught me. the hardest part of the job is not being listened to by management, they really dont care about us.
some of the regular customers that come in makes my job worth it and it has made me stick around for longer than i should have in my opinion.
Pros
coffee machine upstairs, love some of the staff members there.
Cons
long hours on your feet, they dont rotate people around as much as they should, dont properly train people, dont care what we have to say
Save-on-Foods
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABOctober 5, 2014
I would processed costumers items, clean area, gather carts, work on the self check out, work on the costumer service desk selling lottery tickets and smokes.
I learned how to manage a till and how to manage disrespectful people.
The management was great until the manager had moved then we received poor management.
The hardest part is doing the buggies and standing in the same spot for long periods of time.
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
poor managment, short of staff, late breaks, constantly getting new people and lots of people quitting
it is a very good place to work, especially if you are starting out.
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  magrath location, edmontonDecember 11, 2015
I have worked at save-on-foods for 15 years and found it to be very friendly and welcoming to everyone. It did not matter which location that I have worked at, they are always flexible with hours and the needs that you have with your family.They are also very involved in giving back to the community.

The hard part is like any other place , dealing with cranky and angry customers. the Best part is when you help a customer find what they are missing and you get a big smile from them.
fun working
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BCJanuary 24, 2014
A normal day at was was that same as most jobs long but fun i learned alot of new thing and the managers were understanding and polite. Most of the co-workers were very friendly but as in all jobs there are a few that were just plane rude and i would have to say the the hardest part of the job was when a rush happend and we didnt have the people for it. The most enjoyable part i would have to say was makeing all the new friends i did and working with them
Pros
some really great people
Cons
not alot of hours and some really rude people
Not the best of jobs
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  North OkanaganApril 14, 2015
Its a high paced job, if you love people, you'll love the job. But management is terrible. They're disrespectful, and don't treat anybody as equals. It was impossible to get time off, or go to work without being stressed. Only good managers were bakery and ops managers. I have never hated a job as much as I hated that one. 5 years of my life I'll never get back.
Pros
Mandatory breaks, Coworkers that aren't management are amazing!
Cons
Management sucks, impossible to work with, union dues, hostile environment.
great work environment with good training
General Clerk, Bakery, Produce and Floral (Current Employee) –  White Rock, BCDecember 1, 2015
It is a fun, fast paced workplace, with many opportunities and ways to move up. Management is supportive and my colleagues make the job enjoyable, as well as teach me new things I didn't already know about my job. I am however, looking to find something new and exciting, as I feel that my time spent at Save-On Foods will lead me to bigger and better opportunities in a new workplace.
Pros
Supportive environment
Cons
Not enough staff
Fun place to work even when its busy
Cashier/Customer Service/Stock Department (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 13, 2015
I handle large amount of grocery transaction in a very fast pace.
What I learned from this job is working very fast with a positive attitude towards customers.
Management is great at Save on foods, they are very organized.
My co-workers as will always easy going and very easy to get along with.
The hardest part of this job is when it gets very busy and have to deal with a frustrated customer at the same time.
Save on Foods
PHARMACIST (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCFebruary 7, 2015
Quite a busy store with lots to keep busy, from patient counselling to checking compliance packs for patients. Management and staff always treated me respectfully and were friendly to our patients. Like most pharmacies, insurance issues could be challenging and at times frustrating. Knowing that you made a difference in a patient's health and well being was quite satisfying
Pros
good benefits and good scheduling
Cons
sometimes inadequate staffing
Not an initially friendly environment, constantly testing its employees
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCSeptember 15, 2015
Anyone who works at Save On is usually friendly to one another but the management seeks its employees to constantly prove their skills and that they can function efficiently. Very much about the numbers instead of the people, so long as the people can work then not much is done in their way.
Pros
Direct deposit payment every week, abundance of hours
Cons
hours vary between dull and brutal
All In All, I Do Not Remember Much
Night Crew (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCOctober 16, 2015
While working at Save-On-Foods I would forget which day was which due to weekly shift changes, night and day. I forgot almost everything that happened there. My co-workers were generally fun to work with. Hardest part had to have been that month and half of shift changes. The most enjoyable part was head down and focused aspect.
Pros
Knowing what was in stock.
Cons
Drastic shift changes