Save-On-Foods Employee Reviews

Good place to work if you are in for the long haul
DS (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 February 2017
Great people to work with. Good work/life balance and great benefits. You get a raise every 500 hours that you work. Management can be great or horrible depending who they have in the store for top management. Department managers are usually pretty good. Advancement depends more on seniority in the company than other related work experience.
Pros
Great people to work with, good work/life balance
Cons
Unionized, top store management if not the right people
Great
Parkwood, Prince George - Cashier/Clerk (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC7 February 2017
Great people and great hours! great summer job for those going to school, they are very flexible with hours! There is always an opportunity to learn and grow in this company.
Beware of supervisors
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC4 February 2017
When it comes to Save-on, you have to hold your pride and values when working under the supervisors they choose. There is a clear sign on what type of person they want as a supervisor, and that person does not like the kid with a leader personality type. They want followers, a yes man for minimum wage. When I call you a kid, you better think you are. The median age in their stores are ~30. There are many elderly and middle-aged workers in the chain. Sure they were the best part of the job, they were really nice, but you will probably get along with them as uncles and aunts more than co-workers. Since they are older, and have worked there longer than you, every mistake you make is going straight to the condesending supervisor.
Pros
Coworkers are nice and helpful
Cons
Condesending Supervisor
Impossible to balance your personal life with work
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC2 February 2017
They say that schedules are flexible. Truth is you need to be available to work at anytime. One day you work in the morning, the next day in the afternoon, another day in graveyard. And it doesn't have a pattern. Each week is different so you cannot make plans out of work. They don't mind to allocate you in departaments where you don't feel comfortable or safe to work. You will hear many promises before you accept a job there. Managers look cool and smile all the time for you to think you're in the best place in the world. Do not fall for it.
Cons
Irregular shifts, hard life balancing
Not that great
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC28 January 2017
I worked at this ironwood save on for 2 years and the only enjoyable thing in there we my coworkers. The management and supervisors wont care about you and will belittle you. The only reason one would want to get this job is if youre struggling to find a job anywhere else.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Management, supervisors and everthing else
Would not recommend
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC19 January 2017
Weekly pay is nice. The money you get is not.

Management at Abbotsford location is so out of touch.

The "flexible schedules" and "posted three weeks in advance" is a stretch to say the least. Be prepared to have your schedule changed a couple days before you work without warning.

I've worked with the company for 4 months and haven't met the management yet.

Employees are hung up on when they call in sick, leaving us in the dark.

Staffing is always an issue, you never know how many of your team will be there, and thus how much work you will need to do.

New employees are thrown to the wolves, as the large group of 20+ year workers makes for a bit of an old boys club.

When staffing is right, work is not hard, but with rinkydink management and bush-league leadership, I cannot recommend this company, which is too bad considering the potential of a locally-owned, unionized environment.
Pros
weekly pay, coffee machine
Cons
no leadership, scheduling
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC18 January 2017
Save-On is a great employer. Everyone becomes like a big family, which makes the work days go by quickly. Solid hours, benefits when working the required amount of hours, friendly staff, great management.
repeatitive, team based work
facer (Former Employee) –  109st and jasper ave14 January 2017
works 5-6 hours a day facing grocery aisles, most of the time people will ask where to find something and i'll tell them or show them where it is. hardest thing is getting everything done before the end of the day.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
mostly works at night as a part0time job
Save on Foods
Delivery Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 January 2017
Managment does not understand day to day operations, pay is good though no guaranteed hours.

You can have very good days and very bad days as scheduling isn't done properly and you sometimes have to do the work of two people.
Ok place to work
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC12 January 2017
Fun but didn't like the whole overall direction the company was going with cross departments . To many people don't care cus there part time and only there for a day:(
Pros
Close to home
Cons
My manager and I didn't see eye to eye
weekly pay, lifetime of regret
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 January 2017
Oh Save-On....what a bittersweet meal you serve. Being owned by one of Vancouvers richest and generally cheapest men is strike one, as shown by the completely out-of-touch wages. Strike two being the so-called "supervisors" (except maybe 2-3) who don't train properly & throw the heap of their work on whatever new suck-up is working the hardest (with no chance of ever progressing up the hierarchy). This place (especially the Cambie location) apparently went to the outhouse when the union got in and pretty much sided against the clerks. The only plus? They are always hiring (surprise, surprise) and thus if one needs quick experience and a weekly cheque (not bi-weekly) it's there....anyone else should avoid like the plague.
Pros
weekly pay, always work
Cons
lifetime of regret, supervisors from hades
Great plae to work
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC5 January 2017
Lots of opportunity for advancement, good pay (above minimum wage), great benefits...not always great people to work with
Some managers were okay, others were horrible.
Deli Clerk, Shelf stocking (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 January 2017
Depends on which department you get into whether you will have an enjoyable experience or not. Overall pay was pretty low for the amount of stuff you had to deal with. Good starting job for someone in highschool.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Minimal staff that is over wo
Bullied by management
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grandview-Woodlands, BC23 December 2016
This company is not a positive work environment do not work at grand view location management bullies staff please don't work here it's just a bunch of liars
Pros
Cons
Bullied
great work environment to work in
Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK27 November 2016
I am enjoy the every single day of my work, store management is pretty good. the store has a very friendly environment that what other grocery stores mostly.....
Slave on Foods
Meat clerk (Former Employee) –  Walnut Grove, BC23 November 2016
You are a slave to this company, get out while you can before your soul withers to nothing. Management is terrible and can't lead their team worth anything. There's no communication whatsoever, I've worked there for 4 years and I'm barely making $14/hour. I bust my balls every single day for this company.
On a brighter note, I just quit the other day and I feel more free than I ever have
Cons
Fun place to work at. Easy.
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC21 November 2016
It was an awesome and easy place to work at, it just sucked when new managers came in, and didnt talk to the employees as I would have liked. Every one can be friendly there.
A fun place to work
Casual Part time (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC16 November 2016
Preparation and stocking of daily food items for consumption
Learned to be flexible
Management is fun
Co-workers are special and work very hard
Hardest part of job is lifting heavier food boxes
Most enjoyable is the atmosphere and people
Pros
Fun atmosphere and meeting customers
Cons
Not enough hours
Its like Family
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC15 November 2016
I worked at Save On Foods until I had breast cancer. They were so great with me. They sent me flowers and a fruit basket. Wanted to know how to help me.
Pros
Free Fruit and discounts
Cons
hours
Fun, family like feel to employees
Cashier/Grocery Clerk/ Meat Department Associate (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC12 November 2016
I loved working at Save on foods as i developed strong relationships with coworkers, supervisors and even customers. The way it worked was that it was a unit, If i was done my wheeler or my deck in stocking and i saw my coworker struggling and falling behind i gladly helped him or her finish as they would do the same for me. There was times when i worked for free for a few hours and stayed late to help out fellow employees. We give to the customer and all of us strongly believed that the customer should get what they want even if that meant losing money on a transaction. I never really ran out of energy because the whole work place is very sociable and the people i worked with were great. It really wasn't work and I often miss working there.
Pros
flexible work schedule, break every 2 hours
Cons
management changes every few years

2.9