Save-On-Foods Employee Reviews

Good place to work if you are in for the long haul
DS (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 February 2017
Great people to work with. Good work/life balance and great benefits. You get a raise every 500 hours that you work. Management can be great or horrible depending who they have in the store for top management. Department managers are usually pretty good. Advancement depends more on seniority in the company than other related work experience.
Pros
Great people to work with, good work/life balance
Cons
Unionized, top store management if not the right people
Impossible to balance your personal life with work
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC2 February 2017
They say that schedules are flexible. Truth is you need to be available to work at anytime. One day you work in the morning, the next day in the afternoon, another day in graveyard. And it doesn't have a pattern. Each week is different so you cannot make plans out of work. They don't mind to allocate you in departaments where you don't feel comfortable or safe to work. You will hear many promises before you accept a job there. Managers look cool and smile all the time for you to think you're in the best place in the world. Do not fall for it.
Cons
Irregular shifts, hard life balancing
Beware of supervisors
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC4 February 2017
When it comes to Save-on, you have to hold your pride and values when working under the supervisors they choose. There is a clear sign on what type of person they want as a supervisor, and that person does not like the kid with a leader personality type. They want followers, a yes man for minimum wage. When I call you a kid, you better think you are. The median age in their stores are ~30. There are many elderly and middle-aged workers in the chain. Sure they were the best part of the job, they were really nice, but you will probably get along with them as uncles and aunts more than co-workers. Since they are older, and have worked there longer than you, every mistake you make is going straight to the condesending supervisor.
Pros
Coworkers are nice and helpful
Cons
Condesending Supervisor
weekly pay, lifetime of regret
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 January 2017
Oh Save-On....what a bittersweet meal you serve. Being owned by one of Vancouvers richest and generally cheapest men is strike one, as shown by the completely out-of-touch wages. Strike two being the so-called "supervisors" (except maybe 2-3) who don't train properly & throw the heap of their work on whatever new suck-up is working the hardest (with no chance of ever progressing up the hierarchy). This place (especially the Cambie location) apparently went to the outhouse when the union got in and pretty much sided against the clerks. The only plus? They are always hiring (surprise, surprise) and thus if one needs quick experience and a weekly cheque (not bi-weekly) it's there....anyone else should avoid like the plague.
Pros
weekly pay, always work
Cons
lifetime of regret, supervisors from hades
Fun enviroment to work in
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB7 November 2016
Fast pace environment always kept busy helping customers and stocking shelves and displays. Management can be too strict sometimes but mostly they are a great individuals to work around, other staff members are great to work around and are very supportive of one another on most things job related. Like most jobs there are certain employees that will stop at nothing to discredit you to make themselves look better than you even if they are the ones at fault.
Pros
Always chances for moving up
Slave on Foods
Meat clerk (Former Employee) –  Walnut Grove, BC23 November 2016
You are a slave to this company, get out while you can before your soul withers to nothing. Management is terrible and can't lead their team worth anything. There's no communication whatsoever, I've worked there for 4 years and I'm barely making $14/hour. I bust my balls every single day for this company.
On a brighter note, I just quit the other day and I feel more free than I ever have
Really social environment
Cashier/Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mission, BC24 October 2016
On a typical day as a cashier, I would clock in, and be assigned a till to go to. There was a specific schedule that allowed every cashier to get a break every 2 hours (on an 8 hour shift, allowing that the floor wasn't extremely busy). Management for the most part was pretty cool but there were a couple higher-ups that were a bit of a pain. Everyone got along, leaving there was like leaving a family. The hardest part of the job was the scheduling; I could be called an hour in advance and be told I needed to come in. Also, booking days off/knowing which days you'll work was difficult if you wanted to know your schedule a week in advance.
Pros
Union, so great salary and benefits
Cons
Tiring work.
Not that great
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC28 January 2017
I worked at this ironwood save on for 2 years and the only enjoyable thing in there we my coworkers. The management and supervisors wont care about you and will belittle you. The only reason one would want to get this job is if youre struggling to find a job anywhere else.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Management, supervisors and everthing else
Daily schedule changes
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 October 2016
I've never worked for a company that is so unorganized in the scheduling department . You provide your availability on a form and its useless because you're scheduled to their needs . You're called in and expected within the hour and if you cannot make it ( long bus commute) you will feel the negative vibe from the ' 25 to life employees ' , they call on almost everyday off and no joke DAILY schedule changes without being asked . Most shifts I got were 4 hours and the occassional 6 . I enjoyed the actual cashier job though especially busy days , learning all the codes ,talking with customers , good standing mats , comfortable working area and the music was today's hits I guess . If you like limited hours, daily schedule changes and if you can be there within a finger snap this will be for you .
Pros
Staff room food
Cons
Daily schedule changes
Would not recommend
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC19 January 2017
Weekly pay is nice. The money you get is not.

Management at Abbotsford location is so out of touch.

The "flexible schedules" and "posted three weeks in advance" is a stretch to say the least. Be prepared to have your schedule changed a couple days before you work without warning.

I've worked with the company for 4 months and haven't met the management yet.

Employees are hung up on when they call in sick, leaving us in the dark.

Staffing is always an issue, you never know how many of your team will be there, and thus how much work you will need to do.

New employees are thrown to the wolves, as the large group of 20+ year workers makes for a bit of an old boys club.

When staffing is right, work is not hard, but with rinkydink management and bush-league leadership, I cannot recommend this company, which is too bad considering the potential of a locally-owned, unionized environment.
Pros
weekly pay, coffee machine
Cons
no leadership, scheduling
Fun, family like feel to employees
Cashier/Grocery Clerk/ Meat Department Associate (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC12 November 2016
I loved working at Save on foods as i developed strong relationships with coworkers, supervisors and even customers. The way it worked was that it was a unit, If i was done my wheeler or my deck in stocking and i saw my coworker struggling and falling behind i gladly helped him or her finish as they would do the same for me. There was times when i worked for free for a few hours and stayed late to help out fellow employees. We give to the customer and all of us strongly believed that the customer should get what they want even if that meant losing money on a transaction. I never really ran out of energy because the whole work place is very sociable and the people i worked with were great. It really wasn't work and I often miss working there.
Pros
flexible work schedule, break every 2 hours
Cons
management changes every few years
it was a good place to work with good salery but there was no job security
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC8 October 2016
i had a goood experiecne with my fellow workers there. but i had no idea how less my job was secured. i had good working enviornment. but the main problem was that, in some parts my training was not good and they dont even gave a single idea about how my job was.that was my 1st job. the casheier job was really good. i learned a lot about this job
Some managers were okay, others were horrible.
Deli Clerk, Shelf stocking (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 January 2017
Depends on which department you get into whether you will have an enjoyable experience or not. Overall pay was pretty low for the amount of stuff you had to deal with. Good starting job for someone in highschool.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Minimal staff that is over wo
A fun place to work
Casual Part time (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC16 November 2016
Preparation and stocking of daily food items for consumption
Learned to be flexible
Management is fun
Co-workers are special and work very hard
Hardest part of job is lifting heavier food boxes
Most enjoyable is the atmosphere and people
Pros
Fun atmosphere and meeting customers
Cons
Not enough hours
repeatitive, team based work
facer (Former Employee) –  109st and jasper ave14 January 2017
works 5-6 hours a day facing grocery aisles, most of the time people will ask where to find something and i'll tell them or show them where it is. hardest thing is getting everything done before the end of the day.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
mostly works at night as a part0time job
Horrible place to work
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  BC1 September 2016
The managers treat you like you're completely worthless. There is such a divide between employees that have been there 25+ years and employees that have been there less than 10 and the less than 10 group are made to feel like second class citizens. Too much gossip, too much drama. Save yourself the headache and apply elsewhere.
Pros
Its a job with a paycheck
Cons
treated badly, low pay, drama
not fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC21 August 2016
Some days were better than most. But only the very busy days. When I had an injury from outside of work and presented a doctors note for light duty they had me take the days off instead, even when I told them I couldn't afford the days off.

Made myself available to work in other departments but they instead hired new people or trained others that already worked in many other departments.
Pros
Free food occasionally
Cons
everything else
Save on Foods
Delivery Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 January 2017
Managment does not understand day to day operations, pay is good though no guaranteed hours.

You can have very good days and very bad days as scheduling isn't done properly and you sometimes have to do the work of two people.
Great job opportunities.
Ecommerce Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK18 August 2016
I am proud to work for Save-On-Foods. The Ecommerce department is relatively new but the culture of the company is what's impressed me the most. I have met many managers from Langley who starred working as a part time job and 25 or 35 years later they are still here. Now,that alone says a lot for the company.
Pros
The training programs give you whatever you want to succeed.
General Deli Clerk
General Deli Clerk & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC24 August 2016
Worked as a General Deli Clerk & Cashier
Created a positive customer experience at every interaction
Went above and beyond to help customers find what they were in need of
Followed the save on protocol “customer service first”
Responsible for making sure product was out and the case was full
Showed a clean environment by keeping it tidy

2.9