Save-On-Foods Employee Reviews

Good place to work if you are in for the long haul
DS (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 February 2017
Great people to work with. Good work/life balance and great benefits. You get a raise every 500 hours that you work. Management can be great or horrible depending who they have in the store for top management. Department managers are usually pretty good. Advancement depends more on seniority in the company than other related work experience.
Pros
Great people to work with, good work/life balance
Cons
Unionized, top store management if not the right people
Really social environment
Cashier/Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mission, BC24 October 2016
On a typical day as a cashier, I would clock in, and be assigned a till to go to. There was a specific schedule that allowed every cashier to get a break every 2 hours (on an 8 hour shift, allowing that the floor wasn't extremely busy). Management for the most part was pretty cool but there were a couple higher-ups that were a bit of a pain. Everyone got along, leaving there was like leaving a family. The hardest part of the job was the scheduling; I could be called an hour in advance and be told I needed to come in. Also, booking days off/knowing which days you'll work was difficult if you wanted to know your schedule a week in advance.
Pros
Union, so great salary and benefits
Cons
Tiring work.
Not too bad
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC27 February 2017
I hate the hours, but enjoy working there for the most part.
The Management is nice, almost everyone else is too.
Hard work. Customers can be pretty rude. But most are good!
Pay isnt great, but good benefits.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Horrible hours
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC18 January 2017
Save-On is a great employer. Everyone becomes like a big family, which makes the work days go by quickly. Solid hours, benefits when working the required amount of hours, friendly staff, great management.
Great plae to work
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC5 January 2017
Lots of opportunity for advancement, good pay (above minimum wage), great benefits...not always great people to work with
I enjoyed my time with Save on Foods
Cashier, Produce, Meat, and General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 March 2017
While I thoroughly enjoyed being a part of the Save on Foods team, the constant changing of management and lack of communication between levels of management led to tough advancement. The lack of functionality of the website and schedule along with lack of consistent scheduling and frequent last minute schedule changes made maintaining other aspects of life difficult. The team atmosphere was by far my favorite part of the job, having the ability to work in 5 different areas of the store sometimes all in one week let my work with a variety of people from different walks of life and make friendships that I maintain even after working there.
Pros
Wonderful team environment
Cons
No consistency in what job I'd be working, no consistency in hours or days worked, completely different demands from 6 different managers over 12 months
Would not recommend
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC19 January 2017
Weekly pay is nice. The money you get is not.

Management at Abbotsford location is so out of touch.

The "flexible schedules" and "posted three weeks in advance" is a stretch to say the least. Be prepared to have your schedule changed a couple days before you work without warning.

I've worked with the company for 4 months and haven't met the management yet.

Employees are hung up on when they call in sick, leaving us in the dark.

Staffing is always an issue, you never know how many of your team will be there, and thus how much work you will need to do.

New employees are thrown to the wolves, as the large group of 20+ year workers makes for a bit of an old boys club.

When staffing is right, work is not hard, but with rinkydink management and bush-league leadership, I cannot recommend this company, which is too bad considering the potential of a locally-owned, unionized environment.
Pros
weekly pay, coffee machine
Cons
no leadership, scheduling
Fun, family like feel to employees
Cashier/Grocery Clerk/ Meat Department Associate (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC12 November 2016
I loved working at Save on foods as i developed strong relationships with coworkers, supervisors and even customers. The way it worked was that it was a unit, If i was done my wheeler or my deck in stocking and i saw my coworker struggling and falling behind i gladly helped him or her finish as they would do the same for me. There was times when i worked for free for a few hours and stayed late to help out fellow employees. We give to the customer and all of us strongly believed that the customer should get what they want even if that meant losing money on a transaction. I never really ran out of energy because the whole work place is very sociable and the people i worked with were great. It really wasn't work and I often miss working there.
Pros
flexible work schedule, break every 2 hours
Cons
management changes every few years
It was good but it got too repetitive.
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB6 March 2017
I liked working there, the people were friendly and the work was manageable. I loved the morning shifts especially since I got to work with other people which i preferred. Sadly due to school I mainly got closing shifts, which meant me, all by my self, alone. But it taught me how to handle problems, sometimes things would go wrong and I'd have to fix it my self, which is good. But in the end It was getting to repetitive.
Pros
Always busy, Flexible Schedule, Great Management
Cons
Repetitive, Handling Frozen Foods
weekly pay, lifetime of regret
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 January 2017
Oh Save-On....what a bittersweet meal you serve. Being owned by one of Vancouvers richest and generally cheapest men is strike one, as shown by the completely out-of-touch wages. Strike two being the so-called "supervisors" (except maybe 2-3) who don't train properly & throw the heap of their work on whatever new suck-up is working the hardest (with no chance of ever progressing up the hierarchy). This place (especially the Cambie location) apparently went to the outhouse when the union got in and pretty much sided against the clerks. The only plus? They are always hiring (surprise, surprise) and thus if one needs quick experience and a weekly cheque (not bi-weekly) it's there....anyone else should avoid like the plague.
Pros
weekly pay, always work
Cons
lifetime of regret, supervisors from hades
Beware of supervisors
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC4 February 2017
When it comes to Save-on, you have to hold your pride and values when working under the supervisors they choose. There is a clear sign on what type of person they want as a supervisor, and that person does not like the kid with a leader personality type. They want followers, a yes man for minimum wage. When I call you a kid, you better think you are. The median age in their stores are ~30. There are many elderly and middle-aged workers in the chain. Sure they were the best part of the job, they were really nice, but you will probably get along with them as uncles and aunts more than co-workers. Since they are older, and have worked there longer than you, every mistake you make is going straight to the condesending supervisor.
Pros
Coworkers are nice and helpful
Cons
Condesending Supervisor
Impossible to balance your personal life with work
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC2 February 2017
They say that schedules are flexible. Truth is you need to be available to work at anytime. One day you work in the morning, the next day in the afternoon, another day in graveyard. And it doesn't have a pattern. Each week is different so you cannot make plans out of work. They don't mind to allocate you in departaments where you don't feel comfortable or safe to work. You will hear many promises before you accept a job there. Managers look cool and smile all the time for you to think you're in the best place in the world. Do not fall for it.
Cons
Irregular shifts, hard life balancing
Thought it would be a good job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC23 February 2016
I was hired under the premises that it was a full time position, its a great atmosphere and the people I work with are great. At least I think they are but the guaranteed 35-40 hours a week has some how turned into 4 hours over three weeks, and random phone calls asking me to come in. I'd be fine with on-call if it was something they had told us would happen or be a possibility or put on call on the schedule so you know not to plan anything for that day. And when asking about hours or the lack there of, we keep getting the run around about how its normal and they'll call us, or check the schedule online every day as things are always changing. That's nice but my rent doesn't get paid this way.
If it was not for the hours I would love this job and not be looking for a new one. It really is a great place to work
Pros
Friendly co-worker, decent paced, weekly pay cheques, benefits
Cons
LACK OF HOURS
Fun enviroment to work in
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB7 November 2016
Fast pace environment always kept busy helping customers and stocking shelves and displays. Management can be too strict sometimes but mostly they are a great individuals to work around, other staff members are great to work around and are very supportive of one another on most things job related. Like most jobs there are certain employees that will stop at nothing to discredit you to make themselves look better than you even if they are the ones at fault.
Pros
Always chances for moving up
Daily schedule changes
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 October 2016
I've never worked for a company that is so unorganized in the scheduling department . You provide your availability on a form and its useless because you're scheduled to their needs . You're called in and expected within the hour and if you cannot make it ( long bus commute) you will feel the negative vibe from the ' 25 to life employees ' , they call on almost everyday off and no joke DAILY schedule changes without being asked . Most shifts I got were 4 hours and the occassional 6 . I enjoyed the actual cashier job though especially busy days , learning all the codes ,talking with customers , good standing mats , comfortable working area and the music was today's hits I guess . If you like limited hours, daily schedule changes and if you can be there within a finger snap this will be for you .
Pros
Staff room food
Cons
Daily schedule changes
Some managers were okay, others were horrible.
Deli Clerk, Shelf stocking (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 January 2017
Depends on which department you get into whether you will have an enjoyable experience or not. Overall pay was pretty low for the amount of stuff you had to deal with. Good starting job for someone in highschool.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Minimal staff that is over wo
Not that great
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC28 January 2017
I worked at this ironwood save on for 2 years and the only enjoyable thing in there we my coworkers. The management and supervisors wont care about you and will belittle you. The only reason one would want to get this job is if youre struggling to find a job anywhere else.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Management, supervisors and everthing else
Slave on Foods
Meat clerk (Former Employee) –  Walnut Grove, BC23 November 2016
You are a slave to this company, get out while you can before your soul withers to nothing. Management is terrible and can't lead their team worth anything. There's no communication whatsoever, I've worked there for 4 years and I'm barely making $14/hour. I bust my balls every single day for this company.
On a brighter note, I just quit the other day and I feel more free than I ever have
Cons
Great place to work hard and learn many different skills. My favourite job.
general grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Ironwood, Richmond, B.C.15 March 2017
You would work in different departments, and learn anything from how to stock shelves, unload trucks, set up floral displays, clean, cull and fill the produce department, or helping customers on the service desk. My favourite job ever.
Pros
Able to book unpaid days off, and flexible schedules.
Cons
Working an early morning shift and then a late night shift the day after. Hard on the body.
service clerk
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC25 October 2016
I really like working with people and doing baskets but the only things that I didn't really like about the jobs is that is was way to fast past and I didn't really get breaks
Pros
there was some of the jobs i liked with working with poeple
Cons
long hours and fast past