Save-On-Foods

Save-On-Foods Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Nice people to work with and for.
Cashier (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 29, 2016
I enjoyed meeting some really nice people at Save- On- Foods;
at both of the stores I worked at.

For the most part, management there was very good.

I was able to bring all my skills I learned working at
Safeway to Save-On.

Working with people, both customers and staff, was the best part
of my job as Cashier.
Pleasant & good synergy
Cashier/Customer Service Desk, Kitchen-Clerk (Former Employee), Canmore, ABJanuary 28, 2016
I like working at Save On Foods because my fellow co workers are kind, responsible, and very helpful with me and others. When my personal life got out of hand my co workers were understanding of my situation and respected that my personal needs needed to be met otherwise work will not be properly done.
productive workplace where i learned many new skills
General clerk/bakery worker (Former Employee), Campbell River, BCJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: hour long lunches and the friendly people (also the free fruit)
Cons: Sporadic hours
Save On Foods is a really good place to work at and i would love to apply there again. the fast paced environment was good for keeping me up and active. each new thing i learned taught me skills that i could then put to my everyday life.
Fast paced and fun working conditions
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCJanuary 5, 2016
My experience with Save On Foods was fun, enjoyable and secure. I learned how to safely handle foods of all kinds, foodsafe cert management was very helpful and understanding. My co-workers were the best part of the job, very fun to work with
its good job
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCDecember 16, 2015
its like a 9-5 job. don't really learn anything new at save on foods. The management is alright. co-workers are fun and some can be very mean at times.
Great people, poor management
Grocery Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee), Langley, BCDecember 14, 2015
Pros: Friendly people, decent hours
Cons: Poor Management, understaffed
Everyone there was really nice to work with, very understanding. What they fail to warn you about during orientation and training is you are on a "three strikes and you're out" kind of rule. They don't tell you this, they don't warn you when you're using them; heaven forbid you actually get really sick during the three month probation and it counts as a strike. Half the supervisors I talked to seemed to not care for whatever reason you had, no matter how personal it was. This particular store was very understaffed as well, yet they'll freely let people go for simply being two minutes late. Doesn't matter how good of a worker you are either.
Besides that, I loved the everyone I worked with, some of the nicest people I've ever met. Standing for 4-8 hours at a till isn't so bad, comfy shoes and the "anti-fatigue" mats really help. In an 8 hour shift you get two 15 minute breaks and a 30 so it's at least spread out a bit.
Would really like to see management change for the new hires, at least have the decency to warn them, it's not hard.
it is a very good place to work, especially if you are starting out.
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee), magrath location, edmontonDecember 11, 2015
I have worked at save-on-foods for 15 years and found it to be very friendly and welcoming to everyone. It did not matter which location that I have worked at, they are always flexible with hours and the needs that you have with your family.They are also very involved in giving back to the community.

The hard part is like any other place , dealing with cranky and angry customers. the Best part is when you help a customer find what they are missing and you get a big smile from them.
great work environment with good training
General Clerk, Bakery, Produce and Floral (Current Employee), White Rock, BCDecember 1, 2015
Pros: Supportive environment
Cons: Not enough staff
It is a fun, fast paced workplace, with many opportunities and ways to move up. Management is supportive and my colleagues make the job enjoyable, as well as teach me new things I didn't already know about my job. I am however, looking to find something new and exciting, as I feel that my time spent at Save-On Foods will lead me to bigger and better opportunities in a new workplace.
Typical retail company
General Clerk (Former Employee), brooks landing nanaimoNovember 12, 2015
Lack of direction from management leading to unnecessary work having to be repeatedly done. Tend to push really hard on good employee's to get way more work then what they pay for out of them. The union seems to pay little to no attention to the workers.
Nice place to work
Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee), Nelson, BCOctober 22, 2015
Nice place to work and the management is friendly to all the employees but it is little bit far for me so that am looking for another job in Castlegar itself.
All In All, I Do Not Remember Much
Night Crew (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCOctober 16, 2015
Pros: Knowing what was in stock.
Cons: Drastic shift changes
While working at Save-On-Foods I would forget which day was which due to weekly shift changes, night and day. I forgot almost everything that happened there. My co-workers were generally fun to work with. Hardest part had to have been that month and half of shift changes. The most enjoyable part was head down and focused aspect.
Terrible culture
Delivery Assistant (Former Employee), Port CoquitlamOctober 3, 2015
Pros: pay is ok
Cons: no consistency, micro managed, no chance to advance, back breaking work, bosses are condescending
I was one of the first hired for this position when this service just got off the ground. At first they make you feel like family then its downhill from there. The managers who run this program hired all their family and friends and promote them immediately over other workers who deserve it or have been there longer. They dont even try to hide what they are doing either. They also micro manage and are constantly watching you via gps. They dont have enough work to do on the down time so they expect you to deliver flyers on foot. No loyalty to their employees its all about the customer. im my opinion if you treat your employees like family they will work hard for you but at save on foods you are expendable and if you dont know any of the higher ups you have no chance to advance at this company. One of the worst places I have ever worked straight up!
Not an initially friendly environment, constantly testing its employees
General Clerk (Former Employee), Langley, BCSeptember 15, 2015
Pros: Direct deposit payment every week, abundance of hours
Cons: hours vary between dull and brutal
Anyone who works at Save On is usually friendly to one another but the management seeks its employees to constantly prove their skills and that they can function efficiently. Very much about the numbers instead of the people, so long as the people can work then not much is done in their way.
A fun and fast paced productive environment.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 3, 2015
A typical day at work included me cutting cheese and helping customers, keeping our products fully stocked and our front case clean and fresh 100% of the time. I made sure that everyone I worked with that day was on task and not goofing off.

I learned how to smile everyday when I came into work and I learned how to make customers happy, even if they came to me dissatisfied.

My co-workers were very kind and supportive the majority of the time, and my manager always had something to say to improve upon my work and make me into a better employee.

The hardest part of the job was to continue putting on a smile daily when some days i really did not feel like smiling. But I managed it.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work with such a fantastic team that taught me so much about working, life, and most of all about myself.
fun place to work
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 2, 2015
Pros: discounts and bonus points
Cons: favortism
I enjoy working for this company. They are flexible with the schedule. The management is good and understanding about taking time off for family events.
A good work environment with flexible scheduling
Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 29, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: bad pay
I believe that save on foods limits itself by paying its employees bad wages. They want people to provide quality customer service to people for a wage that is not worth dealing with bad customers. I do believe that save on is a great start up job with lots of friendly people that provide a good work experience.
okay workplace
food clerk (Current Employee), Langley, BCAugust 20, 2015
Pros: coffee machine upstairs, love some of the staff members there.
Cons: long hours on your feet, they dont rotate people around as much as they should, dont properly train people, dont care what we have to say
ive learned a lot from people at saveon foods, i have learned how to listen better when people have complaints, i now know not to take home what happens at work because of what the people at saveon has taught me. the hardest part of the job is not being listened to by management, they really dont care about us.
some of the regular customers that come in makes my job worth it and it has made me stick around for longer than i should have in my opinion.
Productive workplace
Produce and Grocery Attendant (Former Employee), Surrey,BCAugust 14, 2015
Great for short-term job experience, lots to learn and very helpful people. Everyone works as a team and encourages to take on different tasks
Good Starter Job
Part-time Dairy Manager / General Clerk (Current Employee), Victoria, BCMay 10, 2015
Pros: good people, health, and dental.
Cons: hard to get hours if you're new.
A good first job. You'll learn how to manage your time, how to handle the public, and you can take on as much responsibility as you'd like, but it's union so your wage will only increase with time, not with promotions.
Not the best of jobs
General Clerk (Former Employee), North OkanaganApril 14, 2015
Pros: Mandatory breaks, Coworkers that aren't management are amazing!
Cons: Management sucks, impossible to work with, union dues, hostile environment.
Its a high paced job, if you love people, you'll love the job. But management is terrible. They're disrespectful, and don't treat anybody as equals. It was impossible to get time off, or go to work without being stressed. Only good managers were bakery and ops managers. I have never hated a job as much as I hated that one. 5 years of my life I'll never get back.