Save-On-Foods

Save-On-Foods Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive workplace
Produce and Grocery Attendant (Former Employee), Surrey,BCAugust 14, 2015
Great for short-term job experience, lots to learn and very helpful people. Everyone works as a team and encourages to take on different tasks
Good Starter Job
Part-time Dairy Manager / General Clerk (Current Employee), Victoria, BCMay 10, 2015
Pros: good people, health, and dental.
Cons: hard to get hours if you're new.
A good first job. You'll learn how to manage your time, how to handle the public, and you can take on as much responsibility as you'd like, but it's union so your wage will only increase with time, not with promotions.
Not the best of jobs
General Clerk (Former Employee), North OkanaganApril 14, 2015
Pros: Mandatory breaks, Coworkers that aren't management are amazing!
Cons: Management sucks, impossible to work with, union dues, hostile environment.
Its a high paced job, if you love people, you'll love the job. But management is terrible. They're disrespectful, and don't treat anybody as equals. It was impossible to get time off, or go to work without being stressed. Only good managers were bakery and ops managers. I have never hated a job as much as I hated that one. 5 years of my life I'll never get back.
Great team members, weak managment
General Clerk/Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Mission BCFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: team work, free lunches
Cons: poor management
The work is easy, the fellow team members are fun and a great emphasizes on team work. Management was not trustful of employees though which made for a tense workplace at times.
Fun place to work even when its busy
Cashier/Customer Service/Stock Department (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 13, 2015
I handle large amount of grocery transaction in a very fast pace.
What I learned from this job is working very fast with a positive attitude towards customers.
Management is great at Save on foods, they are very organized.
My co-workers as will always easy going and very easy to get along with.
The hardest part of this job is when it gets very busy and have to deal with a frustrated customer at the same time.
Save on Foods
PHARMACIST (Former Employee), Maple Ridge, BCFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: good benefits and good scheduling
Cons: sometimes inadequate staffing
Quite a busy store with lots to keep busy, from patient counselling to checking compliance packs for patients. Management and staff always treated me respectfully and were friendly to our patients. Like most pharmacies, insurance issues could be challenging and at times frustrating. Knowing that you made a difference in a patient's health and well being was quite satisfying
not that great of management
KITCHEN STAFF (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaNovember 12, 2014
they wouldnt let you be a little creative if you wanted to be, it had to be their way or leave
Interesting and fun workplace to gain experience.
Deli Specialist (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 1, 2014
Pros: benefits, good hours, flexible.
Cons: low wage.
Save-On-Foods was an interesting place to work which provided an excellent work environment with friendly and supportive co-workers that challenged me to expand my knowledge of the workplace.
Great experience for new workers
Grocery Clerk / Produce / Cashier (Former Employee), Prince George, BCOctober 21, 2014
A great learning experience for youth just entering the working world.
Interesting and Challengin Workplace
Bakery Manager, Cambie (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 15, 2014
Pros: benefits, excellent pay
Cons: not having more say in who gets to work in my department (cross-training store)
The most enjoyable part of the job is leading the team into producing delicious baked goods. I also enjoy working with customers and exceeding their expectations. Nothing is more rewarding than getting customer feedback.

A typical week at work involves scheduling staff, budget forecasts, placing orders, following-up with team to ensure tasks are being accomplished, creating displays, suggest ideas to increase sales per hour, merchandising and communicating with reps from other companies.

I've learned a lot in my time at Save-On-Foods. Skills and contacts I'll have for the rest of my career.
Overwaitea is a poorly organized and managed company, but up front it offers good products for customers.
RECEIVER (from Jan. 2009) / GROCERY CLERK (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABOctober 9, 2014
Pros: easy to do grocery shopping at the end of my shift.
Cons: large high-volume retailer with no warehouse in edmonton region.
I was very relieved to retire from Overwaitea in April 2014, after 15 years with the company. There is a lot of ineptness at the h/q in Vancouver, and the company generally is hypocritical with respect to health & safety, customer service, teamwork and communications. Our store that was built three years ago is poorly designed for safety, efficiency, and keeping perishables cool after receiving. Working retail hours is hard on one's family and community involvement. What I learned from the job was the work ethic of putting out on an hour-by-hour and day-in-and-day-out basis. Even though I hated the job, I don't recall taking any more than one day off for sickness. When I walked away at the end of any day, I knew that the company-- warts and all-- was still providing customers with a lot of good products. Even now, I do about half of my grocery shopping at Save-On-Foods.
Save-on-Foods
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Grande Prairie, ABOctober 5, 2014
Pros: lots of hours
Cons: poor managment, short of staff, late breaks, constantly getting new people and lots of people quitting
I would processed costumers items, clean area, gather carts, work on the self check out, work on the costumer service desk selling lottery tickets and smokes.
I learned how to manage a till and how to manage disrespectful people.
The management was great until the manager had moved then we received poor management.
The hardest part is doing the buggies and standing in the same spot for long periods of time.
Bagging Groceries
Surrey, Bc. Courtesy clerk (Former Employee), south point, south surrey, BCSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: low wage and hours
I worked here when I was young, 13-14 actually. id say it was an easy job the main duties were bagging groceries, pushing carts, helping customers load groceries into their car, helping customers find products, engaging and having a nice conversation with the customer, and the occasional clean up.
Safe and easy workplace
Service Clerk (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 9, 2014
Pros: great staff and free lunches
Cons: short hours
Some of the things I do daily for my job is to head out in the parking lot of Save-On-Foods and to grab all the carts and park them inside where the customers can receive them. I also do returns which are grocery items that have been left behind so my job is to return to its rightful place. I've learned many things about my job and those things are that a grocery store is a very sociable and safe place to work in and the workplace is very appealing. My managers are very serious with their jobs but are still very nice to all our diverse staff. My co-workers are very welcoming and introduce me to things that are new to the place. The hardest part of my job is when all the carts are being occupied by customers on a busy day that are inside the store and my main struggle is to look for any available carts outside to give to the customers. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I get witness a sociable and helpful staff and that I'm proud to be a part of it.
Fast Paced environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 5, 2014
Kept changing schedule without notice, I enjoyed working with amazing people, but could not handle constantly checking when to be in for a shift.
lots of work, but it was good to work.
Grocery Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee), Cranbrook, BCJuly 11, 2014
Pros: free food in staff room
Cons: grinding days
it was good, life is good. occasional long days, but it was nice meeting new people. Management is great, people I worked with were nice
store closed down
Jr. Deli, Meat clerk (Current Employee), surrey bcJune 12, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: graveyrds
management is ok great place to work well in school
local business
will give u time off school
shifts are all over place unless if you have been there for 10 years
Slow, Awkward.
Cashier (Former Employee), Terrace, BCMay 22, 2014
Pros: amazing calzones
Cons: almost everything.
First 3 days of training everyone was all nice, friendly and helpful. I learned right away there was a "3 strike" rule. I got my first one at 5 after 7 in the morning for a training shift. I waited outside for half an hour. (Had to be there a little early) Because new employees don't get the code to the door. I tried calling but no answer and a few minutes after my shift started my trainer came out and gave me my first strike for being late. My other 2 came from almost that exact reason. There were bugs all over and underneath the tills, it was impossible to do a good cleaning job with nest of bugs everywhere. Other cashiers weren't helpful, there was no training for messes, holdups, or techincal issues. I am doing online schooling so i applied for 30+ hours a week. I got maybe 12 a week. And the days that they called me in on my off days, they would call at 7am or late at night. The worst thing of all though, I was working and had about 2 hours left on my shift and I had started puking on my break. What did my manager say? "Go wash your hands you only have 2 more hours." HELLO, I'm barfing, this is contaigous, and you want me to keep on handling peoples produce and house hold items? EW. I hope my future job is a little more straight forward and understanding of new workers and has some sanitary boundaries.
This was my first ever time working legitimatly and not just volunteer work. And the experience was brutal.
Not bad
Cashier (Former Employee), Langley, WilloughbyMay 15, 2014
Pros: good hours
Cons: hard to get days off
The location I worked at was understaffed. It was impossible for me to take a day off without begging the manager for it. Also, every time i asked for a day off the manager always gave me a hard time. Also people from other departments were not very friendly. The schedules were VERY inconsistent and literally changed on a daily basis. My co-workers were all full timers who had been working there for several years and i was only a student. I didnt mind the gender gap but I felt like they were giving me too many shifts because I was unable to concentrate on school. But other than that, I worked as a cashier and it was whatever. I worked here for roughly 6 months because it was becoming tough to balance school and work. I also worked at McDonalds prior to this job and I liked McDonalds better.
Fantastic Work Environment
Produce Associate (Former Employee), Wye Road, Sherwood Park, AlbertaMay 3, 2014
This is a fantastic work environment where everyone has fun with each other. My co-workers were fantastic, the hours were flexible and the hardest part of the job was lifting bags of potatoes in produce and getting cold in the coolers. It was fantastic and the management is very well connected to the staff.