Save-On-Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
awesome place to work
CLERK (Current Employee), Kamloops, BCApril 8, 2016
Pros: always fed their employees
i love this company. great people to work with. job security, good pay. they work around student schedules and really appreciate their employees.
Good job for students
Grocery clerk (Former Employee), Langley, BCMarch 23, 2016
Pros: Good enviroment
Cons: Inflexible hours
I enjoyed working at Save On Foods, they provided me with a positive work environment and I gained customer service experience.
Productive, and management
Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 15, 2016
Pros: Free food
Cons: Strain injuries
- Customer service is well known and highly prioritize comparing to other grocery stores.
- Manages co-worker's break-time and schedule
Great for part time employment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), South Surrey, BCMarch 7, 2016
I was taking summer courses while at Save-On-Foods, and they were quite flexible with my schedule. They have a great management team, a safe working environment, and they accommodated every employees work schedule.
Thought it would be a good job
Cashier (Current Employee), Burnaby, BCFebruary 23, 2016
Pros: Friendly co-worker, decent paced, weekly pay cheques, benefits
Cons: LACK OF HOURS
I was hired under the premises that it was a full time position, its a great atmosphere and the people I work with are great. At least I think they are but the guaranteed 35-40 hours a week has some how turned into 4 hours over three weeks, and random phone calls asking me to come in. I'd be fine with on-call if it was something they had told us would happen or be a possibility or put on call on the schedule so you know not to plan anything for that day. And when asking about hours or the lack there of, we keep getting the run around about how its normal and they'll call us, or check the schedule online every day as things are always changing. That's nice but my rent doesn't get paid this way.
If it was not for the hours I would love this job and not be looking for a new one. It really is a great place to work
Fast paced and exciting
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 20, 2016
A lot of unqualified workers , but great higher ups. The management was very professional and they ran a tight ship. Hardest part was picking up the slack of other people, sometimes taking the lead is necessary.
Safe and comfortable, and rather enjoyable at times
Deli/Cashier/Grocery clerk (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCFebruary 15, 2016
Pros: Awesome people, good instruction
Cons: Schedule Manager wasn't all that kind most of the time
Was always a fun atmosphere with awesome people to work with! Was only a bit frustrating when it came to getting a couple days off for family, or medical related events.
Good overall
Department Head (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 8, 2016
I worked in many different locations over 13 years of employment and I was lucky enough to only encounter one manager who I did not get along with. Each store is different but overall it was great.
Nice people to work with and for.
Cashier (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 29, 2016
I enjoyed meeting some really nice people at Save- On- Foods;
at both of the stores I worked at.

For the most part, management there was very good.

I was able to bring all my skills I learned working at
Safeway to Save-On.

Working with people, both customers and staff, was the best part
of my job as Cashier.
Pleasant & good synergy
Cashier/Customer Service Desk, Kitchen-Clerk (Former Employee), Canmore, ABJanuary 28, 2016
I like working at Save On Foods because my fellow co workers are kind, responsible, and very helpful with me and others. When my personal life got out of hand my co workers were understanding of my situation and respected that my personal needs needed to be met otherwise work will not be properly done.
productive workplace where i learned many new skills
General clerk/bakery worker (Former Employee), Campbell River, BCJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: hour long lunches and the friendly people (also the free fruit)
Cons: Sporadic hours
Save On Foods is a really good place to work at and i would love to apply there again. the fast paced environment was good for keeping me up and active. each new thing i learned taught me skills that i could then put to my everyday life.
Fast paced and fun working conditions
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCJanuary 5, 2016
My experience with Save On Foods was fun, enjoyable and secure. I learned how to safely handle foods of all kinds, foodsafe cert management was very helpful and understanding. My co-workers were the best part of the job, very fun to work with
its good job
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCDecember 16, 2015
its like a 9-5 job. don't really learn anything new at save on foods. The management is alright. co-workers are fun and some can be very mean at times.
Great people, poor management
Grocery Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee), Langley, BCDecember 14, 2015
Pros: Friendly people, decent hours
Cons: Poor Management, understaffed
Everyone there was really nice to work with, very understanding. What they fail to warn you about during orientation and training is you are on a "three strikes and you're out" kind of rule. They don't tell you this, they don't warn you when you're using them; heaven forbid you actually get really sick during the three month probation and it counts as a strike. Half the supervisors I talked to seemed to not care for whatever reason you had, no matter how personal it was. This particular store was very understaffed as well, yet they'll freely let people go for simply being two minutes late. Doesn't matter how good of a worker you are either.
Besides that, I loved the everyone I worked with, some of the nicest people I've ever met. Standing for 4-8 hours at a till isn't so bad, comfy shoes and the "anti-fatigue" mats really help. In an 8 hour shift you get two 15 minute breaks and a 30 so it's at least spread out a bit.
Would really like to see management change for the new hires, at least have the decency to warn them, it's not hard.
it is a very good place to work, especially if you are starting out.
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee), magrath location, edmontonDecember 11, 2015
I have worked at save-on-foods for 15 years and found it to be very friendly and welcoming to everyone. It did not matter which location that I have worked at, they are always flexible with hours and the needs that you have with your family.They are also very involved in giving back to the community.

The hard part is like any other place , dealing with cranky and angry customers. the Best part is when you help a customer find what they are missing and you get a big smile from them.
great work environment with good training
General Clerk, Bakery, Produce and Floral (Current Employee), White Rock, BCDecember 1, 2015
Pros: Supportive environment
Cons: Not enough staff
It is a fun, fast paced workplace, with many opportunities and ways to move up. Management is supportive and my colleagues make the job enjoyable, as well as teach me new things I didn't already know about my job. I am however, looking to find something new and exciting, as I feel that my time spent at Save-On Foods will lead me to bigger and better opportunities in a new workplace.
Typical retail company
General Clerk (Former Employee), brooks landing nanaimoNovember 12, 2015
Lack of direction from management leading to unnecessary work having to be repeatedly done. Tend to push really hard on good employee's to get way more work then what they pay for out of them. The union seems to pay little to no attention to the workers.
Nice place to work
Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee), Nelson, BCOctober 22, 2015
Nice place to work and the management is friendly to all the employees but it is little bit far for me so that am looking for another job in Castlegar itself.
All In All, I Do Not Remember Much
Night Crew (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCOctober 16, 2015
Pros: Knowing what was in stock.
Cons: Drastic shift changes
While working at Save-On-Foods I would forget which day was which due to weekly shift changes, night and day. I forgot almost everything that happened there. My co-workers were generally fun to work with. Hardest part had to have been that month and half of shift changes. The most enjoyable part was head down and focused aspect.
Terrible culture
Delivery Assistant (Former Employee), Port CoquitlamOctober 3, 2015
Pros: pay is ok
Cons: no consistency, micro managed, no chance to advance, back breaking work, bosses are condescending
I was one of the first hired for this position when this service just got off the ground. At first they make you feel like family then its downhill from there. The managers who run this program hired all their family and friends and promote them immediately over other workers who deserve it or have been there longer. They dont even try to hide what they are doing either. They also micro manage and are constantly watching you via gps. They dont have enough work to do on the down time so they expect you to deliver flyers on foot. No loyalty to their employees its all about the customer. im my opinion if you treat your employees like family they will work hard for you but at save on foods you are expendable and if you dont know any of the higher ups you have no chance to advance at this company. One of the worst places I have ever worked straight up!