Saskatoon Health Region Employee Reviews

a lot of team work which is helpful
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 November 2017
being a nurse requires you to think outside the box, it also shows you how to be compassionate and understanding. A nurse has a lot of experience working with a wide variety of cultures and backgrounds, which gives us insight into what people struggle with and succeed in. Hardest part of the job is to not take the job/day home with you, finding coping mechanisms and distressing techniques.
SWITCHBOARD OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK7 November 2017
Working a 12 hour shift at switchboard took some getting used to, but the 4 person team is close knit and focused on getting the over 5500 calls handled in a professional manner each day.

Couldn't ask for better management, and if any issues come up (which happens at any job site) the managers were proactive and supportive.

The most difficult part of the job is the initial learning curve. It takes about 8 months of training to be able to handle the volume of information you need to know, but once you understand the health care system, the work becomes pretty basic.

The most enjoyable part was working with the wonderful women on our team. Just knowing you made a difference makes the hours fly by. I also loved that every day brought different experiences--traumas, codes, alarms. It definitely keeps you on your toes.
Fast Paced Environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK2 November 2017
Faced paced hospital environment with lots of learning opportunities being a teaching hospital. Lots of communication and collaboration with many interprofessional teams in coordinating care for patients.
Stressful place to work
Special Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK13 October 2017
Not a happy environment to work in always conflict between management and staff. Patients never looked after right. Unhealthy place for patients and staff
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
I want to a job for learning experience
Work Readiness (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 September 2017
I learnt a few skills in getting ready to work but I need an actual job. Resume writing was the first thing I learnt and to keep my education a priority
Something different every day
Addictions Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK12 September 2017
Great place to work with lot of opportunities to advance. Great environment and something new every day. Have the chance to interact with clients and learn new things from them.
Increasing number of racist and discriminatory staff
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK16 August 2017
I've worked at St. Paul's Hospital on 5th Med for quite a while. I had to get out really quick. You will never feel welcome and you can only pick a few staff that are genuinely nice. The nurse educator is really intimidating. You'll be scared if you're a colored person.
Pros
High salary and nice benefits
Cons
Discrimination is rampant
Good enviroment and people to work with
Office Administrative (Current Employee) –  Saskaton, SK30 May 2017
Great place to learn and professional advance. Good enviroment and people to work with. I like my work although it is temporary.
I work in the division of mental health and I am passionate about collaborating in the recovery.
Pros
career advance
Cons
Temporary position
Busy Acute surgical ward.
Acute surgical nurse (Current Employee) –  5B Surgery18 September 2016
The ward I work on is typically very busy, we deal with general surgery patients which can be very acute with changes happening at all times. The hardest part of the job is not being able to spend enough time with the patients due to work load. The best part of my job is when a patients thanks you for your care, especially if you have been this patients nurse for the course of their stay. Our ward is team nursing which makes it easy to work with one another. You need to count on each other to make your day flow at times.
exciting and challening work environment
Director, Practitioner Staff Affairs (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK6 August 2016
dynamic work environment, talented, dedicated and highly committed team members, collaborative partnerships internal and external to the organization

Want to know more about Saskatoon Health Region?

Ask a question
Great Place to work
Distribution Clerk (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK21 July 2016
Its always a pleasant day working for the Saskatoon Health Region. Great staff and management. Constant learning and adapting to new things.
Health Region
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 June 2016
Overall the Health Region was good to work for. Training wise I felt like I learned a lot but due to my full time work schedule I couldn't finish all my training shifts and shortly after that resigned.
n/a
Maintenance Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK25 May 2016
It was a fast paced position I was involved in. I learned a lot of different things based on equipment in the facility. It was an overall good experience.
Wonderful place to work
Medical Radiation and CT Technologist (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 September 2015
I love working at the SHR. The staff is friendly and welcoming. Its a fast pace environment. Lots of opportunities to continue education and lots of ways to achieve the position you desire.
Interesting cases
Medical Genetics Technologist I (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK12 April 2015
I found that although the work was diagnostic rather than research it never seemed repetitive. I enjoyed that the cases were varied and was always learning about rare genetic disorders.
a good place to work
3rd Class Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK19 January 2015
a learned how to take care of 3 different types of buildings, h-vac & different types of boilers, chiller systems. management was at times hard to deal with, because of my own doing. co-workers were great to work with, along with my supervisors. the alternating shifts were kind of hard to adapt with.
The best job I have ever have.
Finance Assistant (Current Employee) –  saskatoon sk6 December 2014
I do Accounts Receivable invoices and enter payments. I also relieve Cashiers at ST PAULS AND SASKATOON CITY HOSPITAL.
All the people I've worked are nice and happy.
Excellent stepping stone
Client Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon2 July 2014
There is great opportunity to explore many different practice settings with various social work roles in SHR.
Metabolic Diseases Laboratory
RT,MLT (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK28 May 2014
All aspects of Metabolic Disease testing. Running various specimen types for Amino acid and Organic acid analysis. Interpretation and reporting of these results.

Mangement of the department and day to day operations, managing workflow, ordering reagents, QC specimen running and reporting, calibrations, patient data management
Very dynamic work culture, Goals are fixed and enthusiastically pursued
Intern (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 March 2014
Worked as an intern with the Saskatoon Health Region's 'Oral Health Department'
Worked with a very dedicated team of oral health nurses doing their work diligently on the field across the health region.
Very disciplined work culture, very motivated in achieving goals.
Pros
Generic benifits working with government health organisations
Cons
No comments