Sargent & Lundy

Sargent & Lundy Employee Reviews

Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL10 January 2017
I enjoyed working at S/L I would recommend them for employment. Work was a challenge, I learned a lot while work there, and learned about the people, and increased my skillset.
Pros
great people
Cons
location
I give a poor rating.
Designer 2 (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL15 December 2016
This is a good place if you are an engineer. If you are not I recommend looking elsewhere. The more you produce the more they give you while others who do the same work as you are playing around doing nothing.
Cons
A lot of people on the internet, smart phones etc. all day long, not doing actual work.
Great Company
Structural Engineering Assisociate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH30 November 2016
This is an excellent place to work. It's a small company filled with extremely intelligent and driven employees. There is a lot of knowledge sharing which makes getting up to speed relatively easy. Great place to work. 10/10 would recommend.
Not for new engineers
Associate 2 Substation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL26 October 2016
A lot of the experience that's expected of the employees at Sargent & Lundy cannot be gained by working within the firm. The most valued employees at the company are people who'd worked in the utility or power industry for years prior. So, if you want to go far within the firm, you'll want to come in from another sector of the industry rather than fresh out of college.

The work atmosphere is pretty stiff. Employees fear arriving five minutes late or taking too long of a lunch break. Most people eat at their desks and put in 9 hour work days.

I enjoyed the company's professionalism, but I felt like the entire company took its self to seriously. As a result, there was no flexibility within the firm, no room for growth, no room for innovation. They are a firm that has figured out what they're doing, and they're going to continue doing that until they run out of clients.
Sargent and Lundy
Human Resources Specialist, Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL13 October 2016
Sargent & Lundy is a global engineering consulting firm that provides complete consulting, engineering, and project development services for all types of fossil-fuel, nuclear, and renewable power generation and power delivery projects. S&L has been dedicated exclusively to serving the electric power industry and related businesses for 120 years.
Productive and Knowledgeable
Coal & Nuclear power plant consultant firm (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL4 August 2016
A typical day at work consisted of creating system sizing calculations & PIDs. At times work can be challenging but with the right team you can easily manage through. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE PEOPLE YOU WORK WITH! Being on a huge project I was still able to have a flexible lifestyle.
Pros
Free Lunch & Learns, Work/Life Balance, Flexible, Learn alot
Good Company
Senior Associate Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL25 May 2016
S&L is a good place to work with stable hours and a good group of engineers. Some middle management is not great to work with and they do not seem to care for employees thinking outside the box. Fossil Power is on the way out. S&L sees high turnover, however, they are very good at rehiring past employees from what I have seen.
Great training program
ASME Section 2&3 Pipe Stress Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL23 May 2016
Sargent and Lundy has a great training program, however during my time at the company there was never enough work for everyone. Lack of projects and assignments.
Pros
Training
Cons
Lack of projects
Good Job/Life Balance
Associate 1 (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL13 April 2016
They are flexible with employees regarding PTO and flex-time and compensation for overtime.
They have one of the better employee benefits packages I have seen.
Ok Place to Work
Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL23 February 2016
The business model is outdated, and environment is slow, but the people are nice to work with, but the managers are often incompetent.
A workplace with very high quality deliverable standards!
Senior Structural Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL9 December 2015
Expectations from employees is very high (for Structural Discipline). Very knowledgeable staff. Over 100 years of experience. Very well reputed!
S&L
Mechanical Project Engineering Lead (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL19 October 2015
S&L is a quality company with good job security and compensation. Work/Life balance is what you make it out to be. I recommend working at S&L.
Technical engineering environment with opportunities to learn
Structural Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL8 August 2015
The benefits and paid overtime are fantastic. However, long hours are expected to meet aggressive schedules. With the technical nature of nuclear power there are many of opportunities to learn from the experts in the field as well as chances to advance your knowledge of code requirements.
I enjoy working there, I wish they had more work.
PROJECT DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DE7 August 2015
I work on emergency Flex Piping Systems at Salem and Hope Creek Nuclear Power Stations. My job consist of designing, material take-off, demolition ans assisting construction during installation. The work was challenging, required design accuracy, schedule and budget driven.
Pros
I enjoy work.
Cons
City and Stae taxes
Very professional and enjoyable atmosphere.
Nuclear Drafting Specialist/Designer (Current Employee) –  Seneca, SC6 August 2015
Typical day at work, revising drawings and downloading them into Document Management Program ( Fusion P8 ). Assigning drawing numbers for new documents and inputting information into the Data base. Scanning drawings with PE stamps and wet signatures for future cataloging.

My co-workers are very professional and very knowledgeable.

The hardest part of the job is trying to make completion dates, when a new program is being installed.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the different people you get to work with.
Pros
Assistance with commuting costs
Cons
Location of office
engineer
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL4 August 2015
Pros
downtown chicago
Cons
lay offs
Productive, High energy company
Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL20 July 2015
I enjoyed working for this company. However, the work volume sometimes required additional staff and budget cuts didn't allow hiring additional staff on board. Which resulted in working tons of overtime. My bank account loved it but it got a little overwhelming.
Interesting/challenging at times, but lots of fluctuation.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL24 March 2015
Work is interesting/challenging at times, but can fluctuate greatly depending on active projects. Company has significant technical expertise and resources due to its long history in the engineering services industry.
Pros
Resources, work environment
Cons
Growth and development
A great place to learn a lot about the power industry
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL17 March 2015
This place has managers and directors that are engineers, so they know exactly what is required for the project deliverable and can build a project schedule which will be ambitious but achievable.
Pros
Flexibility in time off, Good 401k with vast options
Review
Mechanical Drafter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL.9 March 2015
This company is not a very great company. It's very big and it's too much high school play with grown profeesional. It's like they compete against the same peoPle on thier project team