Sargent & Lundy

Sargent & Lundy Employee Reviews

Productive and Knowledgeable
Coal & Nuclear power plant consultant firm (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 4, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of creating system sizing calculations & PIDs. At times work can be challenging but with the right team you can easily manage through. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE PEOPLE YOU WORK WITH! Being on a huge project I was still able to have a flexible lifestyle.
Pros
Free Lunch & Learns, Work/Life Balance, Flexible, Learn alot
Great training program
ASME Section 2&3 Pipe Stress Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 23, 2016
Sargent and Lundy has a great training program, however during my time at the company there was never enough work for everyone. Lack of projects and assignments.
Pros
Training
Cons
Lack of projects
Good Job/Life Balance
Associate 1 (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 13, 2016
They are flexible with employees regarding PTO and flex-time and compensation for overtime.
They have one of the better employee benefits packages I have seen.
Ok Place to Work
Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2016
The business model is outdated, and environment is slow, but the people are nice to work with, but the managers are often incompetent.
A workplace with very high quality deliverable standards!
Senior Structural Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 9, 2015
Expectations from employees is very high (for Structural Discipline). Very knowledgeable staff. Over 100 years of experience. Very well reputed!
S&L
Mechanical Project Engineering Lead (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2015
S&L is a quality company with good job security and compensation. Work/Life balance is what you make it out to be. I recommend working at S&L.
Technical engineering environment with opportunities to learn
Structural Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 8, 2015
The benefits and paid overtime are fantastic. However, long hours are expected to meet aggressive schedules. With the technical nature of nuclear power there are many of opportunities to learn from the experts in the field as well as chances to advance your knowledge of code requirements.
I enjoy working there, I wish they had more work.
PROJECT DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEAugust 7, 2015
I work on emergency Flex Piping Systems at Salem and Hope Creek Nuclear Power Stations. My job consist of designing, material take-off, demolition ans assisting construction during installation. The work was challenging, required design accuracy, schedule and budget driven.
Pros
I enjoy work.
Cons
City and Stae taxes
Very professional and enjoyable atmosphere.
Nuclear Drafting Specialist/Designer (Current Employee) –  Seneca, SCAugust 6, 2015
Typical day at work, revising drawings and downloading them into Document Management Program ( Fusion P8 ). Assigning drawing numbers for new documents and inputting information into the Data base. Scanning drawings with PE stamps and wet signatures for future cataloging.

My co-workers are very professional and very knowledgeable.

The hardest part of the job is trying to make completion dates, when a new program is being installed.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the different people you get to work with.
Pros
Assistance with commuting costs
Cons
Location of office
engineer
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 4, 2015
Pros
downtown chicago
Cons
lay offs
Productive, High energy company
Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 20, 2015
I enjoyed working for this company. However, the work volume sometimes required additional staff and budget cuts didn't allow hiring additional staff on board. Which resulted in working tons of overtime. My bank account loved it but it got a little overwhelming.
Interesting/challenging at times, but lots of fluctuation.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2015
Work is interesting/challenging at times, but can fluctuate greatly depending on active projects. Company has significant technical expertise and resources due to its long history in the engineering services industry.
Pros
Resources, work environment
Cons
Growth and development
A great place to learn a lot about the power industry
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2015
This place has managers and directors that are engineers, so they know exactly what is required for the project deliverable and can build a project schedule which will be ambitious but achievable.
Pros
Flexibility in time off, Good 401k with vast options
Review
Mechanical Drafter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL.March 9, 2015
This company is not a very great company. It's very big and it's too much high school play with grown profeesional. It's like they compete against the same peoPle on thier project team
productive and professional
Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2015
very productive professional environment, excellent management, excellent working conditions and good pay master with six month rise, quality work and very good client appraisal, provided good benefits including family health insurance
Pros
free health insurance
Very good workplace where leaders are not afraid to teach and train.
Thermal Insulation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2015
I am a former employee which did make it up the ladder from the bottom up. I began my career as a draftsman in the Mechanical Division working my way up to scheduling. It was then that I moved up to mechanical specifications and eventually to right hand man to the Insulation Section Head in the Mechanical Analytical Dept. The time worked at Sargent & Lundy was the best of my lifetime.
Pros
not afraid to train personnel into new areas. each and every project had its excitement.
Enjoyable Environment
Mechanical Engineering (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2015
Always a new project to work on so never becomes boring. Get sent out to power plants across the country. Work with a team to produce answers and solve problems. Staff is enjoyable to work with and always trying to internally promote.
Pros
free lunches at training. 401k, health benefits
Cons
always moving around to where ever the work is at.
Solid Company
Mechanical Engineer Associate 2 (Current Employee) –  DelawareJanuary 27, 2015
This is a solid company to work for, especially those already in the Nuclear field or looking to enter the Nuclear field. The compensation is almost unbeatable for young engineers fresh out of school. If you perform well they will treat you well. The downside is the lack of interesting work. The projects are different ins a sense that you are replacing or upgrading a different piece of equipment or routing piping from point A to point B (mechanical only). These types of projects have been done hundreds of times and it really is a copy and paste job, with minimal engineering input. Yes you need the correct education and training. Also, the clients the S&L works for are very demanding and unrealistic, they expect us to perform miracles in terms of scheduling. The work/life balance is OK, it really depends on the week, but if you want to be a manager here it is terrible (but that is why they make more money). However, the compensation and benefits are really one of the best in the industry. All in all S&L is a very fair company, and treats their employees somewhat fairly (they do expect you to drop everything you have planned to finish a project).
Pros
reimburesments for traveling, compensation and benefits, good work environment, field work (walkdowns and outage work) is interesting, teamwork environment within the office (not with the clients thought)
Cons
work/life balance, work is up and down (forced to take vacation if slow), management is hit or miss
Consulting Engineering firm in Power Generation
Environmental Project Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 16, 2014
S&L is my first job out of college. I have found it to be an environment that produces high quality engineers with a focus on power generation. My typical deliverables include studies, specifications and calculations.
This is a very good company to work for.
Electrical Associate Engineer (Former Employee) –  Newarik DESeptember 29, 2014
Very good consulting company.
There is room for growth due to the different energy businesses the company is involved in.
The fellow employees I worked with were easy to get along with