Sargent & Lundy Employee Reviews

Structural/Civil Designer
Designer - Structural/Civil (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL11 August 2017
Working with engineers to produce structural/civil design drawings utilizing MicroStation and AutoCad. Communicating with clients to make sure that there needs and wants are delivered in a timely manner.
Great Organization
EXECUTIVE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL14 July 2017
Great organization to work for. It's an incredibly large organization so there are endless opportunities for growth and development for employees. I would recommend the organization to perspective employees.
Pros
Room for growth/advancement
Cons
Sargent Lundy has an outstanding benefits package.
Senior Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL5 July 2017
I highly recommend SL as an employer. The variety of work is both interesting and challenging, with the opportunity for travel. The CEO and managers are highly experienced and able to manage highly complex projects while maintaining a cool head.
Pros
Smart people
No Balance
Senior Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL10 June 2017
Some days it is extremely stressful with too much to do. Other days you are stressed out with no work while you waste other project budgets. You have to deal with all aspects of the job from scheduling to project management, while the actual managers just set arbitrary deadlines. Working in the nuclear industry is not real engineering. You will not be prepared to do real work if all of your experience is in nuclear. Configuration management is most of the job.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management
Excellent overall
SENIOR PROJECT/SYSTEM ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL2 June 2017
I gained a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge while working at Sargent & Lundy. Employees and management are supportive and helpful. The workplace is diverse and supportive of this diversity.
Pros
Great working environment.
Cons
Job security is subject to industry ups and downs.
All eggs in one basket
Physical Designer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL6 May 2017
This is a good, long standing firm. They have great experience and fairly good vision but the tendency to grow from within became a disadvantage. Many of the Lead staff were not very knowledgeable about what needed doing and they could not answer technical questions. In addition, some of the directions given were not practical for field installation. Training was largely having the team lead showing where the instruction manuals were. This left some things up to individual interpretation which usually proved incorrect. Consequently, much time was wasted. I never saw efficiency being considered in relation to tasks or asset management. Also, the group I was working in had only one client. This became a problem in the end. In spite of all this, I enjoyed my time at this company.
Pros
Large company in center of Chicago, good salary
Cons
Wasteful and inefficient, seeming lack of experience on the floor
Good Company For the Long Haul
Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL19 April 2017
If you want to make a career at a single employer than this may be the company for you. Over 125 years old, they are very set in their ways and do not quickly shift their processes or approach to projects. It is a private company and most management opportunities come from within. Their culture gets passed down internally. Much of their software has been developed in house and is far behind the times. What this means is stability and a chance to spend your life with a company that will allow you to learn and advance, just over a long period of time.
Pros
Do as little or as much as you want
Cons
Slow moving and not open to major change
So Far its been good
Senior Designer NP Electrical & Controls (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ12 April 2017
So Far its been good and thankful to have the opportunity to learn a new field, however this industry haves slow times which can cause major disruption in our day to day lives.
About sargent and lundy
Mechanical Designer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL8 April 2017
Sargent and lundy has long history in designing and engineering power plants including fossil power plants and nuclear power plants. The company also has a division for power delivery system.
Little appreciation for employees
Associate II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL31 March 2017
Sargent & Lundy's management cares only about their bottom line and the management's jobs. They often overwork their employees (60+ hours per week) as they promise schedules to the clients that are not realistic. They also underbid in order to get projects, then berate employees for going over budget when they were simply trying to put together a quality project.

There is little to no incentive for anyone to help others out, so young engineers simply have to learn the ropes and getting advice/information from managers and older employees is often like pulling teeth.
Pros
Good benefits, competitive salary, great location
Cons
Poor management, management doesn't care about employees
Excellent A/E firm to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL20 March 2017
Sargent & Lundy is excellent at power plant design and engineering. For 125 years they have led the industry and advanced the field of power plant engineering.
Great workplace
Structural Engineering Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL19 March 2017
Great place to work. Many opportunities to show your abilities. the work is demanding but also very interesting and rewarding. You are not left alone. The structure of the company is set up for your success.
Project Work
Design/ Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Two Rivers, WI22 February 2017
The typical day at Point Beach was driven by the work that I was involved with. The job was to implement the approved design at a scheduled timeline.

The implementation of the design and the work in the field was the most job.
Pros
The successful installation of the design.
Cons
Meetings
Good company
DCS Owner's Representative (Current Employee) –  United States9 February 2017
S&L has treated me very well, but I have no work life balance. I am thankful that they give trips home, but there are not enough of them.
Pros
Good pay, great people
Cons
Travel, Away from friends and family
Okay - Management
Associate II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL1 February 2017
There is little to no training. Everything is on the fly. You learn an okay amount, but I do not see myself wanting to continue at this job any longer than I have to.
Pros
free lunch sometimes
Cons
Long hours, little guidance, old/poor management
Friendly and team player environment
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL31 January 2017
I worked with this company for over 5 years, and during that time, I managed to establish a solid work foundation and life long contacts. I only quit to be closer to home.
Pros
Flexible lunch hours
Cons
Slow promotions
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL10 January 2017
I enjoyed working at S/L I would recommend them for employment. Work was a challenge, I learned a lot while work there, and learned about the people, and increased my skillset.
Pros
great people
Cons
location
Good workplace, does not supply enough work
Structural Drafter III (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL3 January 2017
Pretty good place to work when there are projects to work on, competitive compensation, great benefits, good teachers.It's a quiet office, management is ok. Coworkers are friendly and willing to help out and teach.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not enough work, hard to tell if you will have a job for months to come
I give a poor rating.
Designer 2 (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL15 December 2016
This is a good place if you are an engineer. If you are not I recommend looking elsewhere. The more you produce the more they give you while others who do the same work as you are playing around doing nothing.
Cons
A lot of people on the internet, smart phones etc. all day long, not doing actual work.
Great Company
Structural Engineering Assisociate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH30 November 2016
This is an excellent place to work. It's a small company filled with extremely intelligent and driven employees. There is a lot of knowledge sharing which makes getting up to speed relatively easy. Great place to work. 10/10 would recommend.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sargent & Lundy. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval