Sargent & Lundy

Sargent & Lundy Employee Reviews

Good workplace, does not supply enough work
Structural Drafter III (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL3 January 2017
Pretty good place to work when there are projects to work on, competitive compensation, great benefits, good teachers.It's a quiet office, management is ok. Coworkers are friendly and willing to help out and teach.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not enough work, hard to tell if you will have a job for months to come
Okay - Management
Associate II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL1 February 2017
There is little to no training. Everything is on the fly. You learn an okay amount, but I do not see myself wanting to continue at this job any longer than I have to.
Pros
free lunch sometimes
Cons
Long hours, little guidance, old/poor management
Not for new engineers
Associate 2 Substation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL26 October 2016
A lot of the experience that's expected of the employees at Sargent & Lundy cannot be gained by working within the firm. The most valued employees at the company are people who'd worked in the utility or power industry for years prior. So, if you want to go far within the firm, you'll want to come in from another sector of the industry rather than fresh out of college.

The work atmosphere is pretty stiff. Employees fear arriving five minutes late or taking too long of a lunch break. Most people eat at their desks and put in 9 hour work days.

I enjoyed the company's professionalism, but I felt like the entire company took its self to seriously. As a result, there was no flexibility within the firm, no room for growth, no room for innovation. They are a firm that has figured out what they're doing, and they're going to continue doing that until they run out of clients.
Friendly and team player environment
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL31 January 2017
I worked with this company for over 5 years, and during that time, I managed to establish a solid work foundation and life long contacts. I only quit to be closer to home.
Pros
Flexible lunch hours
Cons
Slow promotions
Good company
DCS Owner's Representative (Current Employee) –  United States9 February 2017
S&L has treated me very well, but I have no work life balance. I am thankful that they give trips home, but there are not enough of them.
Pros
Good pay, great people
Cons
Travel, Away from friends and family
Productive and Knowledgeable
Coal & Nuclear power plant consultant firm (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL4 August 2016
A typical day at work consisted of creating system sizing calculations & PIDs. At times work can be challenging but with the right team you can easily manage through. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE PEOPLE YOU WORK WITH! Being on a huge project I was still able to have a flexible lifestyle.
Pros
Free Lunch & Learns, Work/Life Balance, Flexible, Learn alot
Great Company
Structural Engineering Assisociate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH30 November 2016
This is an excellent place to work. It's a small company filled with extremely intelligent and driven employees. There is a lot of knowledge sharing which makes getting up to speed relatively easy. Great place to work. 10/10 would recommend.
Sargent and Lundy
Human Resources Specialist, Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL13 October 2016
Sargent & Lundy is a global engineering consulting firm that provides complete consulting, engineering, and project development services for all types of fossil-fuel, nuclear, and renewable power generation and power delivery projects. S&L has been dedicated exclusively to serving the electric power industry and related businesses for 120 years.
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL10 January 2017
I enjoyed working at S/L I would recommend them for employment. Work was a challenge, I learned a lot while work there, and learned about the people, and increased my skillset.
Pros
great people
Cons
location
I give a poor rating.
Designer 2 (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL15 December 2016
This is a good place if you are an engineer. If you are not I recommend looking elsewhere. The more you produce the more they give you while others who do the same work as you are playing around doing nothing.
Cons
A lot of people on the internet, smart phones etc. all day long, not doing actual work.
Good Company
Senior Associate Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL25 May 2016
S&L is a good place to work with stable hours and a good group of engineers. Some middle management is not great to work with and they do not seem to care for employees thinking outside the box. Fossil Power is on the way out. S&L sees high turnover, however, they are very good at rehiring past employees from what I have seen.
Good starting place for engineers but volatile atmosphere
Mechanical Associate II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL16 January 2013
Sargent & Lundy provided solid training and a rigid structure to the completion and management of system design projects. With standards in place helping one design a system, source the components for said system, and develop all related documentation and control schemes, I quickly improved my system design abilities. However, due to the company's lean hiring practices and volatile power industry, turnover was very high. Advancement seemed luck-of-the-draw, while a full quarter of the company's engineers was laid off in a three month period.
Pros
excellent structure, location, benefits
Cons
high turnover, distant management
You've been warned, now run, don't just walk away.
You just be an Associate (Former Employee) –  North American Continent27 March 2013
Employment security is totally based upon the kiss factor. Management is totally based upon the intimidation style. If you want to see the world, but not your home, family, or friends, then come on down. Make your ultimate sacrifices, and you'll get your just reward, no good deed goes unpunished. Any legitimate complaint to HR will earn you a door knob where the sun don't shine. Interesting how all the people who have praise for this place are listed as "former employees."
Pros
can't think of 1
Cons
too many to identify
S&L
Mechanical Project Engineering Lead (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL19 October 2015
S&L is a quality company with good job security and compensation. Work/Life balance is what you make it out to be. I recommend working at S&L.
Good Job/Life Balance
Associate 1 (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL13 April 2016
They are flexible with employees regarding PTO and flex-time and compensation for overtime.
They have one of the better employee benefits packages I have seen.
Chicago Office Operations Manager - CSSD (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL13 June 2013
Great place to learn about the power generation industry and associated technologies. Very structured work environment with clear path for engineering personnel careers. Management is corporate minded but provides open door policy in general. Comps and benes are good and competitive in the industry.
Great training program
ASME Section 2&3 Pipe Stress Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL23 May 2016
Sargent and Lundy has a great training program, however during my time at the company there was never enough work for everyone. Lack of projects and assignments.
Pros
Training
Cons
Lack of projects
Technical engineering environment with opportunities to learn
Structural Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL8 August 2015
The benefits and paid overtime are fantastic. However, long hours are expected to meet aggressive schedules. With the technical nature of nuclear power there are many of opportunities to learn from the experts in the field as well as chances to advance your knowledge of code requirements.
Solid Company
Mechanical Engineer Associate 2 (Current Employee) –  Delaware27 January 2015
This is a solid company to work for, especially those already in the Nuclear field or looking to enter the Nuclear field. The compensation is almost unbeatable for young engineers fresh out of school. If you perform well they will treat you well. The downside is the lack of interesting work. The projects are different ins a sense that you are replacing or upgrading a different piece of equipment or routing piping from point A to point B (mechanical only). These types of projects have been done hundreds of times and it really is a copy and paste job, with minimal engineering input. Yes you need the correct education and training. Also, the clients the S&L works for are very demanding and unrealistic, they expect us to perform miracles in terms of scheduling. The work/life balance is OK, it really depends on the week, but if you want to be a manager here it is terrible (but that is why they make more money). However, the compensation and benefits are really one of the best in the industry. All in all S&L is a very fair company, and treats their employees somewhat fairly (they do expect you to drop everything you have planned to finish a project).
Pros
Reimburesments for traveling, compensation and benefits, good work environment, field work (walkdowns and outage work) is interesting, teamwork environment within the office (not with the clients thought)
Cons
Work/life balance, work is up and down (forced to take vacation if slow), management is hit or miss
Very professional and enjoyable atmosphere.
Nuclear Drafting Specialist/Designer (Current Employee) –  Seneca, SC6 August 2015
Typical day at work, revising drawings and downloading them into Document Management Program ( Fusion P8 ). Assigning drawing numbers for new documents and inputting information into the Data base. Scanning drawings with PE stamps and wet signatures for future cataloging.

My co-workers are very professional and very knowledgeable.

The hardest part of the job is trying to make completion dates, when a new program is being installed.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the different people you get to work with.
Pros
Assistance with commuting costs
Cons
Location of office