Sargent & Lundy Employee Reviews

Productive and Knowledgeable
Coal & Nuclear power plant consultant firm (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 4, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of creating system sizing calculations & PIDs. At times work can be challenging but with the right team you can easily manage through. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE PEOPLE YOU WORK WITH! Being on a huge project I was still able to have a flexible lifestyle.
Pros
Free Lunch & Learns, Work/Life Balance, Flexible, Learn alot
Great training program
ASME Section 2&3 Pipe Stress Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 23, 2016
Sargent and Lundy has a great training program, however during my time at the company there was never enough work for everyone. Lack of projects and assignments.
Pros
Training
Cons
Lack of projects
Good Job/Life Balance
Associate 1 (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 13, 2016
They are flexible with employees regarding PTO and flex-time and compensation for overtime.
They have one of the better employee benefits packages I have seen.
Ok Place to Work
Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2016
The business model is outdated, and environment is slow, but the people are nice to work with, but the managers are often incompetent.
A workplace with very high quality deliverable standards!
Senior Structural Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 9, 2015
Expectations from employees is very high (for Structural Discipline). Very knowledgeable staff. Over 100 years of experience. Very well reputed!
Very professional and enjoyable atmosphere.
Nuclear Drafting Specialist/Designer (Current Employee) –  Seneca, SCAugust 6, 2015
Typical day at work, revising drawings and downloading them into Document Management Program ( Fusion P8 ). Assigning drawing numbers for new documents and inputting information into the Data base. Scanning drawings with PE stamps and wet signatures for future cataloging.

My co-workers are very professional and very knowledgeable.

The hardest part of the job is trying to make completion dates, when a new program is being installed.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the different people you get to work with.
Pros
Assistance with commuting costs
Cons
Location of office
Technical engineering environment with opportunities to learn
Structural Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 8, 2015
The benefits and paid overtime are fantastic. However, long hours are expected to meet aggressive schedules. With the technical nature of nuclear power there are many of opportunities to learn from the experts in the field as well as chances to advance your knowledge of code requirements.
I enjoy working there, I wish they had more work.
PROJECT DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEAugust 7, 2015
I work on emergency Flex Piping Systems at Salem and Hope Creek Nuclear Power Stations. My job consist of designing, material take-off, demolition ans assisting construction during installation. The work was challenging, required design accuracy, schedule and budget driven.
Pros
I enjoy work.
Cons
City and Stae taxes
Productive, High energy company
Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 20, 2015
I enjoyed working for this company. However, the work volume sometimes required additional staff and budget cuts didn't allow hiring additional staff on board. Which resulted in working tons of overtime. My bank account loved it but it got a little overwhelming.
S&L
Mechanical Project Engineering Lead (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2015
S&L is a quality company with good job security and compensation. Work/Life balance is what you make it out to be. I recommend working at S&L.
engineer
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 4, 2015
Pros
downtown chicago
Cons
lay offs
Very good workplace where leaders are not afraid to teach and train.
Thermal Insulation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2015
I am a former employee which did make it up the ladder from the bottom up. I began my career as a draftsman in the Mechanical Division working my way up to scheduling. It was then that I moved up to mechanical specifications and eventually to right hand man to the Insulation Section Head in the Mechanical Analytical Dept. The time worked at Sargent & Lundy was the best of my lifetime.
Pros
not afraid to train personnel into new areas. each and every project had its excitement.
Interesting/challenging at times, but lots of fluctuation.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2015
Work is interesting/challenging at times, but can fluctuate greatly depending on active projects. Company has significant technical expertise and resources due to its long history in the engineering services industry.
Pros
Resources, work environment
Cons
Growth and development
Enjoyable Environment
Mechanical Engineering (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2015
Always a new project to work on so never becomes boring. Get sent out to power plants across the country. Work with a team to produce answers and solve problems. Staff is enjoyable to work with and always trying to internally promote.
Pros
free lunches at training. 401k, health benefits
Cons
always moving around to where ever the work is at.
A great place to learn a lot about the power industry
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2015
This place has managers and directors that are engineers, so they know exactly what is required for the project deliverable and can build a project schedule which will be ambitious but achievable.
Pros
Flexibility in time off, Good 401k with vast options
productive and professional
Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2015
very productive professional environment, excellent management, excellent working conditions and good pay master with six month rise, quality work and very good client appraisal, provided good benefits including family health insurance
Pros
free health insurance
Good starting place for engineers but volatile atmosphere
Mechanical Associate II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 16, 2013
Sargent & Lundy provided solid training and a rigid structure to the completion and management of system design projects. With standards in place helping one design a system, source the components for said system, and develop all related documentation and control schemes, I quickly improved my system design abilities. However, due to the company's lean hiring practices and volatile power industry, turnover was very high. Advancement seemed luck-of-the-draw, while a full quarter of the company's engineers was laid off in a three month period.
Pros
excellent structure, location, benefits
Cons
high turnover, distant management
You've been warned, now run, don't just walk away.
You just be an Associate (Former Employee) –  North American ContinentMarch 27, 2013
Employment security is totally based upon the kiss factor. Management is totally based upon the intimidation style. If you want to see the world, but not your home, family, or friends, then come on down. Make your ultimate sacrifices, and you'll get your just reward, no good deed goes unpunished. Any legitimate complaint to HR will earn you a door knob where the sun don't shine. Interesting how all the people who have praise for this place are listed as "former employees."
Pros
can't think of 1
Cons
too many to identify
Contractor for utilities providing engineering and design.
SGI Custodian / Engineering Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 21, 2014
Regional office with several clients and potential for extensive growth. Work is largely project driven and can sometimes slow down. Due to nature of the work, extensive overtimes is sometimes required. The office is largely younger engineers and designers, with some senior managemenet that relocated when the regional office opened. At entry level, opportunities for advancement are much greater than once a few years of accumulated experience have been acquired. Once that ceiling hits, an employee is often required to take field assignments or relocate to corporate to advance any further in their career.

Overall, a very good company in an interesting and fast paced industry.
Consulting Engineering firm in Power Generation
Environmental Project Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 16, 2014
S&L is my first job out of college. I have found it to be an environment that produces high quality engineers with a focus on power generation. My typical deliverables include studies, specifications and calculations.