The Electrical and Automation Estimator works with our sales team, and is responsible for estimating the cost of electrical, control systems integration projects. This position offers a wide variety of interaction with our sales team, technical teams, and our vendors and suppliers. Creative thinking and team problem solving are required to clearly define the scope of services and materials to be provided for a project and to accurately assign costs to those services and materials. Key responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Determine accurate bills of material for proposed projects either from customer provided specifications or input from the technical team assigned to the proposal;
- Analyze blueprints, construction drawings and other documentation to prepare time, cost, materials, and labor estimates;
- Obtain accurate pricing for proposed materials;
- Determine labour scope of responsibility either from customer provided specifications or input from the technical team assigned to the project;
- Work with the technical team assigned to the project to accurately estimate the type and quantity of labour required to complete the scope of responsibility
- Write proposals;
- Assess cost effectiveness of products, projects or services, tracking actual costs relative to bids as the project develops;
- Set up cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures;
- Prepare and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors
- Establish and maintain tendering processes;
- Interact with vendors and suppliers to understand their products and pricing structures;
- Assist with purchasing;
- Other duties as assigned.
To meet the challenge of this role, we are seeking an energetic, extremely organized self-starter who enjoys a challenge. The ideal candidate will process solid skills in written and oral communication, problem-solving, trouble-shooting and proven ability to adapt when challenged.
The ideal candidate will have 3 - 5 years’ experience, complimented by a college or university education in electrical, electronic, or instrumentation engineering technology, journeyman electrician or a related field. 2 or more years of formal estimating experience is a requirement. Applicants must have a valid driver’s license and be prepared to travel to all sites including remote locations. Strong computer skills are essential, and experience with a project management program is an asset. A high level of proficiency in both oral and written communication skills is a must.