Internal/External Employment Opportunity
Component/Team: Health Services
Status: Four (4) Month Contract, 0.6 FTE Part-time (21 hours per week)
Salary Scale: $74,218 - $89,421 annualized salary (pro-rated to Part-time Status), plus 4% vacation pay in lieu of benefits
Start Date: August 12, 2013 – December 13, 2013
The Nurse Practitioner is a member of the Health Services team and works closely with team members to provide the highest possible quality of health care services to clients (see Health Services Team description). The role of the Nurse Practitioner is to work with all clients to help them achieve their desired health goals.
Skills, Education and Experience:
Requirements for this position include:
Education and Language
- A Baccalaureate degree in nursing from a recognized university.
- Certificate of competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Nurse in the Extended Class
- Under the Centre’s designation to provide French Language Services:
- French (oral expression): Advanced +
- French (oral comprehension): Advanced +
- French (reading comprehension): Advanced +
- Fluency in English, both oral and written
- Three to five years’ experience in community and/or public health settings
- Experience in mental health and addictions
- Experience working with clients with diverse socio-economic and cultural backgrounds
- Experience working within a harm reduction approach
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the impact of social/cultural/economic factors on the determinants of health
- Knowledge, understanding, and sensitivity to the complexity of issues arising for individuals who have experienced homelessness, addictions, poverty and/or mental illness
- Excellent counseling skills
- Excellent physical assessment skills
- Strong crisis intervention skills, suicide intervention skills, organizational skills, communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively within and across multi-disciplinary teams and community partners.
- Ability to work with psychiatrically challenged clients, disenfranchised groups and multicultural communities of all ages
- Ability to work with clients presenting a wide range of health issues
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment
- Commitment to and knowledge of community-based health care
- Demonstrated flexibility, sound judgment, initiative & creativity
- Proficiency in the use of computers and various software applications
- Respects and values the diversity of communities and individuals
The Nurse Practitioner reports directly to the Director of Health Services.
Conditions of Employment:
Hours of work will be developed in collaboration with the successful candidate to ensure a healthy work-life balance. A schedule of work will be based on the Centre’s hours of operation and program requirements and may include some evenings.
An offer of employment will be will be conditional upon the candidate completing a criminal reference check and linguistic profile to the satisfaction of the Sandy Hill Community Health Centre.
How to Apply:
Please submit curriculum vitae and covering letter no later than June 5, 2013 at 4:00pm, quoting #13-12 INT/EXT, to Human Resources, 221 Nelson St., Ottawa ON K1N 1C7, by e-mail, or by fax (613) 789-7962. No phone calls please.
POSTING DATE: May 22, 2013
CLOSING DATE: June 5, 2013, 4:00 p.m.