Sally Beauty Employee Reviews

good
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS29 October 2017
it was super good, i throughly enjoyed it and it wasnt too difficult but gave me day to day challenges to overcome proving that i have the ability to work quick on my feet and think quickly
Awful management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 September 2017
My title says it all. I've worked for Sally Beauty twice, and it is no different than the first time. The teams are great, at least my teams were fantastic, upper management however was zero help on many many occassions. As an assistant manager, I kept sales driven and the team focused. The new manager however, liked to leave early, leave while on shift to attend to her many "appointments" and treated her employees like absolute garbage. Again, uppermanagement had no help, and refused to help. I came from a staff of ten, and all ten, including myself, quit under the direction of this manager. Sally Beauty needs to focus on the Alberta area's DM, and TM's. Corruption is afoot.
They need to look into better managers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 August 2017
I worked at Sallys in a city that had several locations I admit it I've always dreamt of working there, but honestly not until I started did I notice how horribly run it is. Between customer running us over at our location and loss prevention from the company not helping with the amount of theft we had. The girls I worked with we were always on our feet and watching out for theft and no matter the measures loss prevention would tell us to do nothing actually prevented theft or even stopped it. Not to mention the mall security would never respond to when we had a problem the police would show up sooner than them and that's 30 minutes later. Other locations when we would ring them for customers looking for products they wouldn't answer at all and give customers the wrong information about the products and than we'd have angry customers and upset people come in and throw fits at us when we tried to help fix whatever the other locations did. I really hope that they start hiring more people that actually know and care about products and the people because I loved that job and helping out the customers but even I got tired from that job. I was hired as a part time and I worked full time. Try balancing school and work with that when it's a few hour bus ride to work every day there and than back again. Honestly Sallys needs to make sure also that they're managers aren't drug addicts too because they would be aware of managers like that and not do anything about it and than wonder why all of they're money would go missing. As a cosmetology student you learn even more at Sallys than you  more... do in school, it adds to the information which is a bonus. But other than that it's a really poor work environment with the polices in place that don't keep employees actually safe from anything, the amount of times fellow employees or I would end up going home injured from customers was endless. Also if they worked out a better time table program that would be great because I know tons of outgoing students that loved working there as well but couldn't handle it because the job is way more demanding than it advertises. They're under new management the company and there were a few weekends when we had to also write invoices the old fasishomed way which took a whole day of just writing them because that takes a long time when on a Saturday the busiest day. If you can handle long hours and unexpected work environment than it's perfect for you but if you can't than save yourself the trouble, I'm sure working at Walmart would be better than Sallys. They're always out of high selling products for more than a year in the warehouse. We'd check every week and they would be completely out like they're never ordering them which would make no sense because they're the products in demand. Plus the district managers even when constantly will forget to give you your raise by half a year too late. When paying rent and student loans that really sucks with the delay when I could've made more money and be out of debt. So save yourself the trouble don't work there it will save your insanity for the most part. I'm an honest person and I honestly wish I had seen an honest review about Sallys I would've taken a job else where.  less
Pros
Employees discount, shipment day
Cons
Might get a day off every three weeks, customers can injure you over hair products, minimum wage, raises are forgetten by the district managers no matter how many times they are reminded, no overtime pay
Managing a succeful team
point of sale
inventory
reports
purchase orders
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
no comment
Solid company
Beauty advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2017
Slackers stay away. Good workers are treated very well. If you are lazy, you won't last. Good career if you are honest and care about others. Free product for staff every month. Love it!
Pros
Great manager
Cons
Till problems
Good place to learn about beauty products
Sales Associate / Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 July 2017
A typical day at Sally Beauty would include interaction with customers and staff about new product and trending products.
The most valuable thing was to able to provide my opinion about products I was familiar with before joining Sally beauty.
The most enjoyable part of the job was receiving monthly free product. The hardest part of the job was poor management which did not allow me to feel comfortable at work.
Pros
free samples, close to home, interested in beauty industry
Cons
poor managment, immature co-workers, lack of respect
Great company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON4 July 2017
I was at Sally Beauty for quite a few years. It was a great job and helped me to open up my eyes into the beauty world. Sally's was what inspired me to go to school for Esthetics. They are always coming out with the newest products and appliances and are always concerned about their customers experience.
For a minimum wage job, they expect A LOT
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON26 June 2017
The first week of your training flies by and if you have a great store manager they will make you feel welcomed and make sure you're learning on the floor as well. after a few months you should be a pro at all the products and day-to-day tasks however, behind the scenes there is a lot of other information and numbers to make sure you're up on. You have to have a certain number of sales and if you don't meet them the district manager comes in to play sometimes and my district manager wasn't the best team leader and sometimes I felt like it was more personal than anything. She was also not professional at times. Overall this job did have room for growth but there was a lot of stress that came with a part time minimum wage job and if you're not serious about this in the long run, it's really not worth it.
Pros
Free monthly samples
Cons
district manager, low pay, lots of stress
Fun place to wofk
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC14 June 2017
Great to work for. Friendly environment. Great leadership. Lots of little bonuses if you work hard. Very well organized company. Lots of training involved
Okay place to work
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia8 June 2017
You will learn a lot about beauty products and will get free samples and a great discount! Great health care benefits and a yearly two week vacation. Schedules are supposed to be made two months in advance. Paid mileage for bank runs.

The job would be much more enjoyable and less stressful if your average sale, as well as other numbers, were not monitored extremely closely. Sally Beauty takes retail to an extreme.

Part time employees only get between 10 and 20 hours a week, sometimes more if another employee is on vacation. Full time employees take on a lot of responsibility and work up to forty hours a week. This wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't tons to do on top of giving customers your full attention when they come in. This can lead to high stress because on one had there is deadlines for certain jobs, but on the other you can get spoken too for not giving every customer your full attention. If your numbers drop, you can get in trouble for that too.

Conflicts are also not dealt with appropriately, professionally, nor quickly.

Very unfortunate, because if you take away even half of the bad experiences, it is a really great place with awesome products and great benefits!
Pros
Free monthly samples, employee discount, health benefits
Cons
Micro-managment, long hours, not a high wage for high expectations

Want to know more about Sally Beauty?

Ask a question
fun place to work
Full Time - Keyholder/Sr. Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC31 May 2017
great place too work if you love working with beauty supplies and learning about all the things they can do. must be willing to work ALOT of night shifts.
Fun, laid back job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC24 May 2017
I learned a lot about hair products and hair dyes. Learned how to push sales and how to meet daily quota appropriately. Organized and fun work environment.
Training
Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON8 May 2017
Sally beauty is a great company to work for, the training that you receive will help you in work experiences and also life experiences.

The company is always willing to help there employees in anyway that can and they are always looking for new ways to expand and grow in the beauty industry.
awful workplace, overly high expectations of work for very little pay or benefits
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS2 May 2017
Save yourself the stress and just go work somewhere else! This company gives little credit where due and the small staff of USUALLY girls, very drama filled.
Fun Place,
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC10 April 2017
Great place to work, flexible hours, learn about beauty products, get interesting clients. very fun place to work. Staff in Penticton location is the best

Surrey Locations are horrible.
Pros
free product of the month
Cons
not enough hours
Horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary5 April 2017
Worst place I ever worked! At first everyone seemed friendly but then it turned to a nightmare. Horrible management horrible pay and hours. They don't care about you or customers and are understaffed. They have employees giving hair advice that have no prior experience. This is for all of Calgary, my advice..RUN!!
Pros
Free product
Horrible mangement
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK21 March 2017
Rude people, rude manger and everything. Old systems, bad hours and if you have surgery you will still have to work and if you dont you will be fired and if you book days off a month in advance or more for a funeral you probably wont get it off.
Pros
Points
Cons
everything
Not a good place to work at all.
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB15 March 2017
Worked minimum wage while working my butt off and doing everything the manager was doing, first raise only after 6 months IF you pass their review. VERY poor management. I used my Sally points from selling products to purchase a gift card, and then left the company a week or so later and I am now being refused the $50 gift card, even though I rightfully purchased it. Company does not care about its employees. Rude, passive aggressive management. I was not happy while working there at all.
Pros
Free employee product samples every month
Cons
Poor wage, hours, benefits, management
awful pay no benefits
Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 March 2017
great for part time but has no consistency day to day schedule. Manager is amazing and very accommodating Enjoy working but ethics and waste of company need to be reviewed.
Mediocre
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS27 February 2017
Good job. Some staff members were not overly friendly. Flexible job hours. Fun learning experience for different beauty products. Overall good job for those interested in beauty products.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sally Beauty. Our community is ready to answer.