Saje Natural Wellness Employee Reviews

Underpaying and Distressing on the mind
Management (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2017
Lower than industry pay for retail management, excels in harbouring a gossip and clique kind of environment. There is 0 advancement, just added responsibilities that should be handled by superiors. Not worth your time or mental sanity. Horrid district management that relies on heresay as opposed to facts. Run as fast as you can!
Great coworkers and interesting culture, horrible management, decision making, and workload
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 September 2017
Worked with great coworkers, appreciated the new age culture and efforts to improve working conditions. Great place to work if you are on the creative team but systemic dissatisfaction on the operational side. Executive team is completely disorganized, lack of technical knowledge, lack of planning. Unqualified leadership and decision makers. Volatile and unstable.
Pros
Food program, wellness program, discount
Cons
Management, Work Life Balance
Great environment with daily lunches and wellness events
Customer Experience Team Member (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 July 2017
Poor leadership in Customer Experience department . Growth is one of the companies core values however, growing outside of this department is not supported or encouraged. Company is 25 years old however, feels like it is a start up due to the way it is structured.
4 August 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Being a 25 year old company in growth mode can be challenging so we truly appreciate your feedback. As you said, #growth is one of our core values and we encourage all team members to carve out a path for their own growth, if you need more support in how to apply to opportunities outside of your department, please reach out to people@saje.com and we would be happy to help guide you through the process! – The Saje People Team

Productive workplace with opportunities for advancement
Team Leader/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 July 2017
Great place to work if you are seeking to advance quickly within the company. Lots of fun out of work opportunities and great team of people, including management.
4 August 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! It is great to hear that you have #joblove with Saje and thank you for being an integral part of our dream team!– The Saje People Team

Mixed feelings
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 June 2017
There is good and bad things about the company. Honestly, they think they are the best in this business, so they never create anything new, it is always the same thing. They always do a premium thing: if you purchase a certain amount you can get something for a certain amount and the pressure to sell this thing is ridiculous. If the head office thinks the store is not doing good enough, they drop by to teach the same thing all over again. Then, you have the mystery shoppers, who goes twice or three times every month! So, basically, you have to mention EVERYTHING, EVERYTIME for EVERYBODY, even if they are there to buy ONE soap. It can be pretty annoying.
The products are ridiculously expensive but employees have 50% discount, which is nice.
The management is lazy, they give their job for you to do and they get credit for it.
The company only think about growing and expanding and sometimes don't even have enough supply for one store! People are waiting for the body butters to be "reformulated" for almost a year and still nothing. Then, if you work on the floor, you have to be constantly apologizing for mistakes that the company makes and it is very embarrassing.
The good thing is that the girls are amazing to work with and very fun to be around.
The head office is very stubborn and sometimes they don't even talk to the people at the floor. For a wellness company, it seems they go completely against what they preach.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Low salary, nothing new, very lazy management, not wellness at all
4 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback with us, we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed some of our perks, products and our awesome team members during your time with Saje. Positively Outrageous Customer Service is one of our brand promises and we understand how much of a commitment that is from our team members and we thank you for providing that Outrageous Customer Service to our community members. Feedback such as yours is important to us and will be considered as we continue to grow #SajeNation - The Saje People Team

Positive only to certain types of people
Health and Wellness Coach (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 May 2017
You have to be a certain type of person to work at a store like this. It appears to be very open-minded and open to every type of person, but if you are not peppy and smiling all the time you will not excel here. Scheduling is very inconsistent, hours were taken away without notice leaving many employees unable to pay their bills. You would think wellness would come first in a company such as this but management did not support their staff well when it came to their mental or physical health. An old coworker of mine was told she could not take a 5 minute break when having a panic attack due to work related incidents, then a member of management proceeded to tell her she was "f***ed up". When incidents such as this were brought to the attention of someone higher up, it was not taken seriously. Overall, I enjoyed the staff that I got the chance to work with here, but the management ultimately made me leave. This company shows very cult-like behaviours including exclusion or unfair treatment of specific personality types (yes, they type your personality upon applying), strange rituals that are irrelevant to the workplace, and a condescending CEO that was nearly worshipped.
Cons
Management is lacking.
4 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, it is great to hear that you enjoyed working with the team and community members. If you are open to sharing some more details around your experience we would love to dig in a little deeper – you can reach us at people@saje.com. - The Saje People Team

Growth based and relaxed store with amazing values
Junior Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 April 2017
It's a pretty high traffic store with a very happy team on board who are encouraged to be as outrageous and helpful to everybody as possible. It is a rather relaxed atmosphere where we are encouraged to spend our downtime in discussion about personal growth or on the topic of our store values. The company is very focused on the growth and goal setting of its team members, although management is not really involved in helping anyone who may be struggling with anything job related.
The hardest part of the job is maintaining any status achieved, since any mistakes or lapses can be regarded and recorded quite heavily, making growth a difficult thing at times.
The best part of the job is how encouraged we are to be authentic with everyone and to create deep and genuine connection with our customers. I have had the opportunity now to make several friends through this customer service.
Pros
Very deeply rooted culture, amazing customer service
Cons
Poor management, very little support system in place
4 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, #wellness & #growth are two of our core values and it is amazing to hear that this has been meaningful to you. We understand and appreciate how being part of a rapidly growing business can be tough at times so we thank you for being authentic, connecting with our community members and providing Outrageous Customer Service. - The Saje People Team

Toxic Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario4 April 2017
This place is not all what it seems. From the outside the company appears to be a business focused on health and wellness and the growth of its people (that's what they tell you anyway..). However, it is an extremely toxic work environment. They essentially brainwash you into conforming to their radical ideals of what health and wellness should be. And for a company that preaches about growing its employees, there is ZERO room for growth and development.
The products are fantastic, the discount is 50%, and you have the opportunity to learn A LOT about essential oils and aromatherapy. However, the job just isn't worth the stress. Save yourself some therapy and find another place to work.
Pros
Health benefits, products, employee discount
Cons
No work/life balance, preachy culture, no room for advancement
4 August 2017

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. We are delighted to hear that you love the products as much as we do and that you enjoyed the employee perks! Many of our team members have started their careers with Saje and found space and opportunity to advance within the organization, and we would encourage any team members interesting in new opportunities to reach out to people@saje.com for some guidance on how to apply. Thank you again for your feedback and we will take it into consideration as we continue to grow #SajeNation - The Saje People Team

Positive and great wellness job
Team Member/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Westboro, ON27 February 2017
A typical day at work includes providing good quality customer service based on the customers needs. This may include providing them with a remedy option to help them with the problems they are experiencing. Also includes helping people on cash, administrative duties and closing and auditing at the end of the day.
4 August 2017

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us, your summary of a typical day at Saje is insightful! We are delighted to hear that you are enjoying your experience at Saje and thank you for being a part of a dream team!- The Saje People Team

Amazing product you can stand behind
Key Holder/Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 February 2017
In the retail stores you are surrounded by not just coworkers, but a family that supports you throughout the day and keeps the environment light. You are encouraged to use the testers throughout your shift and to interact with the community with integrity and care. Management will check in with all employees throughout the day to make sure you are well hydrated and taking your breaks on time.
As any retail job, some days can be draining, but it pays off in the end knowing you have assisted people in finding 100% natural products that will change the way they view body care.
Pros
100% natural product, fun work environment, and strong support from your team.
Cons
standing for long hours on hard floors
4 August 2017

Thank you so much for sharing your #joblove with us! We celebrate you for spreading wellness, energy and being part of this amazing dream team and committing your time to working with our community members!– The Saje People Team

This job only assisted in a healthier lifestyle and healthy mental health
Customer service responsibilities (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2017
They encourage you to be healthy. They don't usually preach. But they have programs that you can join to assist you in a healthier lifestyle. I had to fly to Montreal to see my father whom was ill. He ended up passing away. I was in a program at the time with Saje called 30 days of gratitude. It helped me through the grieving process immensely.
Cons
Have to work weekends
Compassionate and Fun workplace
TEAM MEMBER (Current Employee) –  Balzac, AB5 January 2017
Seriously such an amazing company to work for! Very good to the staff and community members! Great product too, Lots of hands on training and never a wrong question. Love the team and the atmosphere.
Great company for long-term employment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON2 November 2016
The managers and staff all worked as a team, and if anyone was feeling not themselves we would work together to make sure everyone is doing their job right and is happy. I learned so much about natural remedies and essential oils, as well as how to deal with difficult customers. You have to greet every customer with a long speech about the history of the company and over-sell their products which teaches you a lot about sales.
Pros
Nice managers, good wage, steady hours
Cons
Extra "take home" work that was required online
Great Company to work for.
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 October 2016
Process payroll on a weekly basis. Administer benefits.
Every day is a learning process.
Great payroll team and manager is amazing.
The hardest part of the job is the long commute hours.
To be part of the success of a growing company.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
long commute hours
Great Products - Less than awesome place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB12 September 2016
I learned a lot about the hundreds of products Saje offers, and had some really cool learning experiences.

But the management and the way Saje as a company is run makes going to work every day a nightmare. Very rude and snotty Management, you are talked down to and treated with little respect.

Besides Management, other team members are very kind and caring people. It was a privilege to meet them and interact with them on a daily basis.
Holistic work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 August 2016
I enjoyed my time working in an environment that was chemical free. I enjoyed helping our customers see the benefits of using 100% natural plant materials to treat their illnesses.
Pros
helping people
Cons
bad management
Holistically Healing the World
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Balzac, AB17 August 2016
Working at Saje was my first time working with almost no supervision and working at a Kiosk. The average day was relatively simple, open up the kiosk by taking the tarp down, set up the merchandise, open the till, and remain looking busy during down times and even sometimes call them over to the kiosk, and help valued customers when they approached the kiosk. I didn't really work along side with my co-workers because there was generally one person at the kiosk during a shift, but management and my co-workers were generally very helpful individuals.

There wasn't really anything too difficult about working there, it was generally enjoyable.

The most enjoyable part of working there was the discounts!
Pros
Discounts
Cons
None that I can think of
Not what one would expect
Part Time Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Balzac, AB15 July 2016
Let me preface this by saying that I was a points collecting, diehard, regular/frequent Saje shopper for nearly a decade. I recommended and gifted the products to family, friends, and coworkers. Saje was my ride or die. I always thought it looked like such a marvelous place to work, so last fall I applied for a part time, seasonal position. Who couldn't use some extra cash for Christmas?

I have to say, I really enjoyed my coworkers. They were a really lovely group! My store management team was also great, and the manager was so hard working and dedicated and put in so much overtime, yet she was always a dream to work for. I later heard that she had been let go without cause or warning after her hard work and dedication for the past 5 years. And, I recently heard that Saje let an entire store go without reason. They apparently decided to relocate the store, but decided they'd rather hire all new staff, rather than work with the great group of people they already had.

Unfortunately, I didn't stay long due to the way Saje is run. The district manager seemed to play favorites, and relentlessly bullied my manager. The sales goals were unrealistically high and unattainable. Head office seemed to be totally out of touch with reality and the staff at the retail level, choosing to blindly lord over the company from their ivory towers in Vancouver and Toronto.

The pressure to sell, sell, sell and upsell was incredible. And, on top of it all, there was never enough inventory, and quality control issues were common place. Add to that having to be indoctrinated in the company culture,
  more... and the expectation that you'd bathe in it was just too weird and time consuming for me. Saje culture is akin to a religion. And, if you have a full life outside of the company, you'll simply have to choose between that and Saje culture, because the company wants all your time and attention.

Wages are woefully low. I was told the bonus program would more than make up for the lack of hourly pay, but I later found out that since the recession hit, nobody had seen a bonus all year. So, I assume the unrealistically high sales targets save Saje from having to pay out bonus cheques.

After my very short experience working at Saje, and seeing what goes on behind the scenes, I can tell you I will no longer support a company that is so hypocritical and treats its staff so poorly. For a company that is all about "living wellness", they have absolutely no regard for the health and wellness of their staff.
Pros
50% staff discount, opportunity to learn about aromatherapy
Cons
No work:life balance, low pay, no job security, stressful
Great learning experience, but otherwise a toxic work environment
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 July 2016
A typical day entails opening/closing the store, which is fairly easy, but involves a lot of repeating the same information 3 times over. The rest of the day is spent assisting customers, cleaning, tidying, restocking, receiving shipments, etc. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was learning about essential oils and working with some really fantastic people. The hardest part of the job was having to explain to customers why so many products were being recalled, and dealing with the many quality control issues. My Store Manager and Assistant Managers were absolutely wonderful, as were my coworkers. Our location had a strict "No Drama" rule, so there was none of the gossip and backstabbing I've experienced at other work places.

The District Manager and Head Office are completely out of touch with the realities of day to day store operations. Despite being in a recession and an over saturated market, daily and monthly sales targets are unrealistic and unattainable. And, while competitors constantly introduce new and exciting products, Saje just repackages the same old products, making it very hard for staff and customers to get excited. The company's main focus is on "culture", growth, and opening new stores, which has led to an unacceptable level of quality control issues, in addition to extremely slow stock levels.

There is no job security at Saje at any level. No matter how many years you've been with the company, you could be let go for no good reason without warning. Saje recently "laid off" an entire team without any reason!

Merchandising changes and Inventory
  more... always seem to be scheduled during celebratory times (Christmas Eve/Boxing Day, New Year's Eve/Day, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Halloween, etc), making celebrations with friends and family very tricky.

Although Saje claims "competitive" wages, the pay is unlivable and woefully low. Upper management claims that sales bonuses will make up for the pitifully low wages, but with unattainable sales targets the vast majority of stores haven't had a bonus in over a year. And the benefits package is an absolute waste of your money.

Saje is HUGE on ramming their "culture" down your throat, which makes it a very CULTish place to work. If you have a family or interests/friends outside of Saje, this CULTure poses a big problem, as the company expects employees to eat, breathe, and live Saje 24/7/365.

For a company selling "wellness", Saje shows blatant disregard for the wellness of their staff, which is hypocritical.

Depending on your location/management team, Saje can be a fun, rewarding and educational place to work.
Pros
The opportunity to learn a lot about aromatherapy
Cons
Low, low pay. The cult mentality. No work/life balance. No job security.
Good team, bad company
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 July 2016
It used to be a great place to work at, but as they started getting popular, the quality of product, treatment of team members went down hill. They are more concerned with opening new stores, hiring for head office, than improving their products or coming out with new items. The owners have no idea what is going on or do not care, because you are not allowed to complain. It is a big no-no to "criticize" or comment on anything that may be bad.

If you do not subscribe their beliefs, do not expect to move up in the company (they rather hire outside than promote within and the District Manager plays favorites) and if you are expecting decent pay, you should look elsewhere. They do not pay well to their staff (they think that the "bonuses" make up for unlivable wages, but what you to be here as a lifer), but have no problem spending money on events that only head office can enjoy, trips for only managers and head office. For a company that is all into "health and wellness", they are missing the mark, their benefits are only for managers and assistant managers and it is not very good.

Typical day at work: help customers, demo product on the customers, answer any questions, restock, tidy, set the store to company standards. Easy opening and closing procedures though some of it is redundant.

The location I worked at was fabulous, worked with a great team and had fun every day, which made it the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
The discount
Cons
Upper management, pay, attitude towards the team members, the company's "cultish" beliefs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Saje Natural Wellness. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6