SAIPEM Employee Reviews

Productive workplace, co-workers were like family
Equipment Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 February 2017
Not a terrible place to work, you could go home at the end of the day feeling accomplished, great company for indenturing apprentices, the culture was very diverse which lead to some minor communication issues however for the most part things ran smoothly and safely. The hardest part of the job had to be dealing with management as they had a way of changing plans, dates, and general scope of work at the drop of a hat and applying heavy pressure to the trades in unorthodox ways. The most enjoyable part of the job was building the family like bonds with other workers and seeing them happy and healthy everyday for such a long period of time, which is uncommon in that particular industry.
Pros
competitive wages
Cons
management
Good company with good benefits.
Piping Designer (PDS) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 January 2017
-Salary is good and competitive.
-Working environment is good.
-Benefits are good.
-Work/Life Balance.
-My supervisor is approachable.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Incompetent leadership where bullying is the norm.
Pipefitter/Hydro foreman (Former Employee) –  Alberta1 August 2016
I worked for Saipem for a year. The management badgered employees. Screaming and threatening to get what they want, even when dangerous and inappropriate. We had to purchase our own supplies due to lack of proper planning. They then kept the receipt and taxed my expense money. Refused to hire or promote management instead forcing foreman to lead crews of 20 to 40 people per foreman and wondered why people did not fulfill their quota. Refused to listen to their employees instead attempting to use the strategies employed in the middle east.
Pros
They were kicked out of CNRL
Cons
Long hours, lack of leadership, poor planning, lack of materials to complete job.
good
Project Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 August 2016
I have worked for this company about 4 years.The company overall is a good company. the benefit and salary was fantastic. In recent years there have been significant changes. The company's management doesn't know what direction they are driving the company into. maybe not familiar with business in north America. a massive Layoffs, that's the experience my teammates and I had.
Very capable group of diverse people and good cooperation.
Senior / Lead Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 February 2017
Approaches to engineering function were varied in that there was the Italian SAIPEM engineering group which was leading / managing the work, and the local North American / Canadian engineering culture, as well as employees from Asia, Mexico, Africa, South America, etc.

This special mix of people was still successful within the Company, in communication - this was due I believe to virtually everyone being patient with each other. To the best of my knowledge, whenever I met someone new to me, to collaborate on something, I was never turned away.
Team work
Senior buyer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 September 2016
Procurement department team was excellent, kept the team work relationship going very smoothly

Management were not familiar Canadian work environment

Excellent department team work

advancement, very limited for Canadian employees
Pros
Excellent department team work
Cons
management were not familiar Canadian work environment
Mismanaged, culture of bullies.
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary25 May 2016
A place where respect for people and competence is ignored but favoritism and systemic bullying are fostered. The culture has dwindled to that which keeps the most mediocre of leadership. The hr department is among the least competent of any company that seems to employ only unqualified ex-starbucks employees and college professors who know nothing about the industry or practical hr practices in general. Imagine being in an environment where hr has the authority to fire people without the consent of the department manager.

If you look at the state of the company, it's obvious the mismanagement continues. Any reasonable client with half a brain will avoid doing business with this company at all costs.

Anyone who has left the company has moved on to better jobs in Canadian workplaces where good work is rewarded and people are given the respect they deserve.

The one positive aspect is the worst people in the company are still employed there and are trapped in a job where they can't leave because the pay is too high; this ultimately benefits the entire industry because then they can't cause damage to other organizations. It will be wonderful when the company finally leaves the country.
Pros
Leaving Canada soon, keep bad people employed and out of other organizations
Cons
Mismanaged, favoritism, bullying work environment.
Multi-cultural company, very challenging
ICT Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 September 2016
Interesting place to work during the growth cycle. A lot of challenges when projects are available. A bit less interesting place to work during the downturn. I have enjoyed exposure to international projects and opportunity to interact with professionals from many different countries. I would like to think I have learned a lot from those interactions.
Pros
Interesting challenges
Cons
A chaotic management at times
Excellent experience achieved
Planner/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 August 2016
Nice company, good salary and medical benefits. Coworker were nice with remarkable team work. long hours work sometimes make us uncomfortable.
Pros
Leave benefits
Cons
Long hours during dead line
Good company
Piping Designer and Designer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milan, India, Calgary,16 January 2017
You have to be able to relocate frequently (every two, three years)
Good salary.
Good benefits.
Organization to be improved.
good
Welder Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 February 2017
working with this company is enjoyable and a nice workplace, i did learned a lot over there also met nice people, the workplace culture is fun.it was great working there.
Challenging and fast paced
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 June 2016
As my first experience in an Oil and Gas based company, it was an eye opening experience to work for a international company based out of Italy, with all senior management and executive positions held by Foreign Nationals and not Canadians.

The Canadian engineers and managers were an exceptional and most valued source of experience and guidance. I enjoyed the work and project coordination in a fast paced environment lead by team oriented goals.
Pros
Strong team building and cooperative work
Cons
Italian organizational structure was far too out of date for North Americia
friendly Environment
spool coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB14 October 2016
we worked as a team .we coordinate with every different Department like Procurement, Warehouse,Fabrication,Module Yard,Accounting and Management.we did overtime to finish tasks.
An experience for sure. Unfortunately English wasn't the first language spoken.
Pipefitter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB10 July 2016
Great money, great group of guys. Unfortunately the first language spoken wasn't English. The guilt of not working over time when plans and or other things come up was a little over the top. Management was a joke. But other then that, tools were there, and guys willing to help whenever needed, No matter what crew.
Primitive Management- HR worst management of entire company
Immigration Mobility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 December 2015
Fast-paced environment. HR Management is very primitive, has a system of "friends first", capable people last. Manager privileges his friends (non skilled) and put them in "safe positions" to keep them, while he laid off people that are assets for the company using the "bad economy" as an argument for laid offs.
Pros
Good salary, good work-life balance.
Cons
Unfair treatment, no value hard work.
Good company
Bidding Group Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 February 2017
The leadership and commitment to the highest standards have proven successful since 1880 and continue to drive industry leading safety, environmental and financial performance today. Imperial’s integrated business provides countless opportunities to make an impact and the possibility to explore
job specification at worksights
Iron Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
signal crane operator to position steel units according to blue prints

align and weld or bolt steel units in place .Assemble and Erect

structure steels Dismantling strucure steel and Equipment when

Required. Examine strucure steel and equipment for deterioration.
Productive and good work place environment,safety rules and legislation,enjoyable work place facilities .
Journeyman/Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 May 2016
Productive and good work place environment,safety rules and legislation,good management and staff,have a good communication between me and my co-workers,the most enjoyable part of the job when conducting tool box meeting and safety meeting,i learned a lot of things from safety and others division.
Pros
free lunch and dinner
Cons
regular hours and overtime
productive workplace
equipmrnt operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 November 2016
I enjoyed working for saipem very much. The hours were consistant and the pay was good. I would love to find a job in a similar manner. I like to work lots of hours and I am a very dependable person.
Pros
good hours
Cons
managment
Cultural divide creates communication issues
Internal Communications Officer and Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 February 2016
Plenty of opportunity for this to be a great company, but the mix of expats from Italy who don't speak english or are familiar with the Canadian culture - and the folks from Calgary, makes for poor communication and resentment, which leads to a failing work culture.
Pros
a salary.
Cons
having to drag through a workday, with no incentive to innovate.