SAIPEM CANADA Employee Reviews in Canada

Mismanaged, culture of bullies.
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  CalgaryMay 25, 2016
A place where respect for people and competence is ignored but favoritism and systemic bullying are fostered. The culture has dwindled to that which keeps the most mediocre of leadership. The hr department is among the least competent of any company that seems to employ only unqualified ex-starbucks employees and college professors who know nothing about the industry or practical hr practices in general. Imagine being in an environment where hr has the authority to fire people without the consent of the department manager.

If you look at the state of the company, it's obvious the mismanagement continues. Any reasonable client with half a brain will avoid doing business with this company at all costs.

Anyone who has left the company has moved on to better jobs in Canadian workplaces where good work is rewarded and people are given the respect they deserve.

The one positive aspect is the worst people in the company are still employed there and are trapped in a job where they can't leave because the pay is too high; this ultimately benefits the entire industry because then they can't cause damage to other organizations. It will be wonderful when the company finally leaves the country.
Pros
Leaving Canada soon, keep bad people employed and out of other organizations
Cons
Mismanaged, favoritism, bullying work environment.
Fun and enjoy
Ironworker Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABMay 15, 2016
That company is very good unfortunately they don't have anymore projects so thats why they layoff somepeople , but when im working there its fun all of the people are nice !
Medium place to work with good benefits package
Intermediate Auto-Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 1, 2016
No the best place to learn
Needs a complete change at management level
No chance of advancement at the position you are assigned, stuck for as long as work there
Cultural divide creates communication issues
Internal Communications Officer and Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 5, 2016
Plenty of opportunity for this to be a great company, but the mix of expats from Italy who don't speak english or are familiar with the Canadian culture - and the folks from Calgary, makes for poor communication and resentment, which leads to a failing work culture.
Pros
a salary.
Cons
having to drag through a workday, with no incentive to innovate.
Primitive Management- HR worst management of entire company
Immigration Mobility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 29, 2015
Fast-paced environment. HR Management is very primitive, has a system of "friends first", capable people last. Manager privileges his friends (non skilled) and put them in "safe positions" to keep them, while he laid off people that are assets for the company using the "bad economy" as an argument for laid offs.
Pros
Good salary, good work-life balance.
Cons
Unfair treatment, no value hard work.
Magnificent company!
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
I had a real pleasure to have such a work experience with Saipem.
All employees were just concentrated on job implementation, not meetings, and the team was splendidly professional and friendly.
Beautiful Italian Office
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 10, 2015
Working with over 50% Italian ex-pats, the office environment has a different feel in terns of fashion, language and office policies.
Pros
Lots of espresso
Cons
Fridays are long as most of the staff leave by noon.
Awesome Comppany to work for
Apprentice Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 30, 2015
Was an great company to work for, It was always fun to be on the job, I met so many people from all over the world.Learning about their culture was interesting. The company always allowed workers to learn new skills and were very safety oriented. I enjoyed my job, as my forman and co-workers, we were all an team and worked hard to get the job done. The company taught me new skills,as I started as labor and worked up to 1st year pipefitter. I would certainly still be working there, if I was not laid off.
Pros
Helping me get my 1st apprentice ticket
Husky Sunrise was mismanaged from day one
Welder (Former Employee) –  Husky SunriseNovember 16, 2015
I worked there at the start of building the project as a B welder and from day one the place was in shambles. There was no tools or proper precedes on how to do things safely here in Canada. Everywhere I went on the job was rush rush rush to get things done but no tools or proper guidelines on how to do a job. When coming back on my 1st rotation I sat next to a accountant and found the reason why no tools cause they hadn't paid the supply bills. When coming back on my rotation I got my toolbox finally and set it up only to discover they started a night shift and needed all tools in including my welding helmet. I started to follow the proper procedures on welding with the same standards in the welding industry code book but I found it was broken way to often. They asked me to cut into a 3" pipe that was xrayed and hydrotested from the shop and I refused it cause I needed QA a procedure to do the job and they wouldn't or want to go to QA for this and it's supposed to b hush hush. Sry a foreign worker from poland who hadn't done his qualifying welds yet went and did the weld. This is not the only one of many weld procedure codes I witness that were broken and unsafe.

As for the management I would say the draw back they have is there is no Canadian managers that know the codes and work safe practices. I know the project is in operation already but I am really concerned about the quality of the work and their work practices to make the company's first show in oils and projects.
Pros
great workers from all nations except for management
Cons
lack of tools and shared PPE
Saipem Canada - Oil Sands
Redliner/Drafter, Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 10, 2015
I started working for Saipem right after completing the Architectural Technology course. We worked 12 hour days for 21 days straight and then were flown home for 7 days. Although the days work long and the work was very repetitive, the job itself was very accommodating to our needs and allowed myself to see a larger portion of what the different positions that were needed to make our site come together and function. Co-workers were all very helpful when myself or someone else was stuck and we operated as a unit to accomplish a bigger goal than just the daily tasks we were given. Our workflow was constant but we supplied to client with the best product we could put together and were ultimately thanked and recognized as one of the strongest teams on the site. The best part of the job was learning new fields of work and being able to accomplish something as a team rather than as an individual.
Pros
Compensation for our hard work
Cons
21 days working straight
Excellent Learning Experience
Welding Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 30, 2015
Strong minded European management that are successful in developing countries, were un-willing to adopt a Canadian mentality of preforming business and treatment of people. Due to the close minded nature of management made the work environment tough to achieve personal satisfaction or raise moral of employees.
Pros
Benefits and Salary
Cons
not interested in process or personal improvement
Productive and Fun Workplace with Table Tennis table
E & I QA Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, canadaOctober 15, 2015
Enough opportunity for learning. Freedom for taking decision. Wider responsibility.Performance is rewarded yearly. Bossism is little at higher side. Overall management was supportive. Sport and recreation facility was adequate.
Pros
Free Accomodation and Lodging
Cons
Unnecessary bossism at times
Professional and Respectful workplace
Senior Structural Designer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 17, 2015
Learned a lot about oil and gas facilities while working here. Got to know more about engineering structures, and had a chance to work on a whole structure compared to just doing small modules or structures. Very well compensated and health benefits are awesome.
Journeyman Carpenter (Lead Hand) (Former Employee) –  Fort MakySeptember 9, 2015
no my onion remains mine they were ce
heap with employer shortage of material. hired some low skilled workers in some trades..
new installations
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, ABAugust 25, 2015
met a lot of good people here
made some good friends
had to go out and rotate machinery as there sitting idle for a while waiting for plant to be built
Experience at Husky Sunrise
Husky Sunrise Site QA Mechanical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AlbertaJuly 31, 2015
Surveillances and inspections were conducted inside of electrical substations, OTSG, transition ducts, storage tanks and various coatings and welding (structural and piping).
Overall experience was unique for the flow of information from start to fishing of the project.
Enjoyed the time on site, people I met and experience gained.
Pros
Supplied workwear: shirts, pants, winter gear
Cons
Information was slow to get for systems in the first year
positive work culture in a camp with rotational schedule.
Quality Office Support (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurraayJuly 24, 2015
One of the things I liked most about my last job was the culture of the company, we worked with people from different places with different cultures, and we all managed to support each other not only in work but also when someone was going through difficult situation or any support.
Pros
Free accommodation, Good place to learn new things.
Cons
Great coworkers, inexperienced management.
Pipefitter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Husky SunriseJuly 23, 2015
Business as usually in the oil patch, with a mismanaged twist. Camp job, paid flight, good pay, Very cramped lunch trailers constantly running out of water/cups. TFW's as far as the eye can see, Low moral, and management that mismanaged the project to the point of getting kicked off site, both sites they have ever been on. Pay was always right though, and I met some great people! I think their management problems will be resolved in the future, they were on the mend before getting kicked off sunrise. too little too late though.
Pros
Free work wear
productive and funs and good co-worcker
PIPEFITTER APRENTICE 3 years (Former Employee) –  albertaJuly 9, 2015
its was a good camp and good food and they hade a store and at work its was fun good co-worker and we hade the same gold get the job done in a safe way
Pros
free food
Cons
10 hours a day 14-7
Dissorganized and cnfused
Yard Foreman - Logistics Department (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AbJune 16, 2015
Working here was very chaotic and disorganized. I learnt that communication is key part for a company to be successful The management always changing was a hard thing do deal with, for example in the time that I was there I had seven different department leads. The only good part of working here was the fellow employees.