SAIPEM CANADA Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Cultural divide creates communication issues
Internal Communications Officer and Designer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 5, 2016
Pros: a salary.
Cons: having to drag through a workday, with no incentive to innovate.
Plenty of opportunity for this to be a great company, but the mix of expats from Italy who don't speak english or are familiar with the Canadian culture - and the folks from Calgary, makes for poor communication and resentment, which leads to a failing work culture.
Primitive Management- HR worst management of entire company
Immigration Mobility Specialist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 29, 2015
Pros: Good salary, good work-life balance.
Cons: Unfair treatment, no value hard work.
Fast-paced environment. HR Management is very primitive, has a system of "friends first", capable people last. Manager privileges his friends (non skilled) and put them in "safe positions" to keep them, while he laid off people that are assets for the company using the "bad economy" as an argument for laid offs.
Magnificent company!
Buyer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
I had a real pleasure to have such a work experience with Saipem.
All employees were just concentrated on job implementation, not meetings, and the team was splendidly professional and friendly.
Beautiful Italian Office
Receptionist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 10, 2015
Pros: Lots of espresso
Cons: Fridays are long as most of the staff leave by noon.
Working with over 50% Italian ex-pats, the office environment has a different feel in terns of fashion, language and office policies.
Awesome Comppany to work for
Apprentice Pipefitter (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 30, 2015
Pros: Helping me get my 1st apprentice ticket
Was an great company to work for, It was always fun to be on the job, I met so many people from all over the world.Learning about their culture was interesting. The company always allowed workers to learn new skills and were very safety oriented. I enjoyed my job, as my forman and co-workers, we were all an team and worked hard to get the job done. The company taught me new skills,as I started as labor and worked up to 1st year pipefitter. I would certainly still be working there, if I was not laid off.
Husky Sunrise was mismanaged from day one
Welder (Former Employee), Husky SunriseNovember 16, 2015
Pros: great workers from all nations except for management
Cons: lack of tools and shared PPE
I worked there at the start of building the project as a B welder and from day one the place was in shambles. There was no tools or proper precedes on how to do things safely here in Canada. Everywhere I went on the job was rush rush rush to get things done but no tools or proper guidelines on how to do a job. When coming back on my 1st rotation I sat next to a accountant and found the reason why no tools cause they hadn't paid the supply bills. When coming back on my rotation I got my toolbox finally and set it up only to discover they started a night shift and needed all tools in including my welding helmet. I started to follow the proper procedures on welding with the same standards in the welding industry code book but I found it was broken way to often. They asked me to cut into a 3" pipe that was xrayed and hydrotested from the shop and I refused it cause I needed QA a procedure to do the job and they wouldn't or want to go to QA for this and it's supposed to b hush hush. Sry a foreign worker from poland who hadn't done his qualifying welds yet went and did the weld. This is not the only one of many weld procedure codes I witness that were broken and unsafe.

As for the management I would say the draw back they have is there is no Canadian managers that know the codes and work safe practices. I know the project is in operation already but I am really concerned about the quality of the work and their work practices to make the company's first show in oils and projects.
Saipem Canada - Oil Sands
Redliner/Drafter, Quality Control (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 10, 2015
Pros: Compensation for our hard work
Cons: 21 days working straight
I started working for Saipem right after completing the Architectural Technology course. We worked 12 hour days for 21 days straight and then were flown home for 7 days. Although the days work long and the work was very repetitive, the job itself was very accommodating to our needs and allowed myself to see a larger portion of what the different positions that were needed to make our site come together and function. Co-workers were all very helpful when myself or someone else was stuck and we operated as a unit to accomplish a bigger goal than just the daily tasks we were given. Our workflow was constant but we supplied to client with the best product we could put together and were ultimately thanked and recognized as one of the strongest teams on the site. The best part of the job was learning new fields of work and being able to accomplish something as a team rather than as an individual.
Excellent Learning Experience
Welding Engineer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 30, 2015
Pros: Benefits and Salary
Cons: not interested in process or personal improvement
Strong minded European management that are successful in developing countries, were un-willing to adopt a Canadian mentality of preforming business and treatment of people. Due to the close minded nature of management made the work environment tough to achieve personal satisfaction or raise moral of employees.
Productive and Fun Workplace with Table Tennis table
E & I QA Lead (Former Employee), Calgary, canadaOctober 15, 2015
Pros: Free Accomodation and Lodging
Cons: Unnecessary bossism at times
Enough opportunity for learning. Freedom for taking decision. Wider responsibility.Performance is rewarded yearly. Bossism is little at higher side. Overall management was supportive. Sport and recreation facility was adequate.
Professional and Respectful workplace
Senior Structural Designer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 17, 2015
Learned a lot about oil and gas facilities while working here. Got to know more about engineering structures, and had a chance to work on a whole structure compared to just doing small modules or structures. Very well compensated and health benefits are awesome.
Journeyman Carpenter (Lead Hand) (Former Employee), Fort MakySeptember 9, 2015
no my onion remains mine they were ce
heap with employer shortage of material. hired some low skilled workers in some trades..
new installations
Millwright (Former Employee), Fort Mackay, ABAugust 25, 2015
met a lot of good people here
made some good friends
had to go out and rotate machinery as there sitting idle for a while waiting for plant to be built
Experience at Husky Sunrise
Husky Sunrise Site QA Mechanical Supervisor (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, AlbertaJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Supplied workwear: shirts, pants, winter gear
Cons: Information was slow to get for systems in the first year
Surveillances and inspections were conducted inside of electrical substations, OTSG, transition ducts, storage tanks and various coatings and welding (structural and piping).
Overall experience was unique for the flow of information from start to fishing of the project.
Enjoyed the time on site, people I met and experience gained.
positive work culture in a camp with rotational schedule.
Quality Office Support (Former Employee), Fort McMurraayJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Free accommodation, Good place to learn new things.
Cons: none
One of the things I liked most about my last job was the culture of the company, we worked with people from different places with different cultures, and we all managed to support each other not only in work but also when someone was going through difficult situation or any support.
Great coworkers, inexperienced management.
Pipefitter Apprentice (Former Employee), Husky SunriseJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Free work wear
Business as usually in the oil patch, with a mismanaged twist. Camp job, paid flight, good pay, Very cramped lunch trailers constantly running out of water/cups. TFW's as far as the eye can see, Low moral, and management that mismanaged the project to the point of getting kicked off site, both sites they have ever been on. Pay was always right though, and I met some great people! I think their management problems will be resolved in the future, they were on the mend before getting kicked off sunrise. too little too late though.
productive and funs and good co-worcker
PIPEFITTER APRENTICE 3 years (Former Employee), albertaJuly 9, 2015
Pros: free food
Cons: 10 hours a day 14-7
its was a good camp and good food and they hade a store and at work its was fun good co-worker and we hade the same gold get the job done in a safe way
Dissorganized and cnfused
Yard Foreman - Logistics Department (Former Employee), Edmonton, AbJune 16, 2015
Working here was very chaotic and disorganized. I learnt that communication is key part for a company to be successful The management always changing was a hard thing do deal with, for example in the time that I was there I had seven different department leads. The only good part of working here was the fellow employees.
a place to work in the city with certain benefits
Apprentice Pipefitter (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 4, 2015
a fun workplace with a couple of benefits yet a bit bad experience on co workers and superiors,freedom to work and opportunities to improve some personal and professional skills.
Saipem
SCAFFOLDING LABOURER /APPRENTICE (Former Employee), Edmonton AlbertaMarch 24, 2015
At Saipem a typical day at work I would load and unload trucks with scaffolding gear, delver gear to locations on site,

I learned many things about Scaffolding, such as tools required to put up and tear down.
Project Management System Engineer (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 18, 2015
1. Management changes every time.
2. Stressful day right from Morning
3. Good to have a team. Co-workers were awesome.
4. Learning news things every single time.