SAIPEM CANADA Employee Reviews

Multi-cultural company, very challenging
ICT Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 20, 2016
Interesting place to work during the growth cycle. A lot of challenges when projects are available. A bit less interesting place to work during the downturn. I have enjoyed exposure to international projects and opportunity to interact with professionals from many different countries. I would like to think I have learned a lot from those interactions.
Pros
Interesting challenges
Cons
A chaotic management at times
Productive and very well maintained facility.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 13, 2016
I really enjoyed my positions at Saipem Canada. The company took care of their employees. They were very strong on safety and overall care of their employees. I look forward to any other opportunities with the company in the future.
Pros
Good work hours with strong family values. Time off if needed with family was never an issue
Cons
No issues
Team work
Senior buyer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 13, 2016
Procurement department team was excellent, kept the team work relationship going very smoothly

Management were not familiar Canadian work environment

Excellent department team work

advancement, very limited for Canadian employees
Pros
Excellent department team work
Cons
management were not familiar Canadian work environment
Great place to learn
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABSeptember 1, 2016
Made some great friends working here and definitely miss not seeing them. As with any job, it has its ups and downs but it was a good place. If the economy didn't dive, I definitely would have stayed there.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Economy slowdown = more stress
Overall a good company
HSE Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 25, 2016
This company has so much potential, but like most new companies, has to overcome their learning curves in Canada.

Id work for them again. Great wages, flexible, and fun
excellent experience in working with International Company
Project Planner/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 25, 2016
It was excellent experience working with Europeans co-workers and managers, involved me very quickly in all tasks and new jobs. friendly environment and fun to be part of the team.
Pros
good place to learn and gain new experience
Cons
Main organization is in Italy, No ideas about the North American Client expectations.
Incompetent leadership where bullying is the norm.
Pipefitter/Hydro foreman (Former Employee) –  AlbertaAugust 1, 2016
I worked for Saipem for a year. The management badgered employees. Screaming and threatening to get what they want, even when dangerous and inappropriate. We had to purchase our own supplies due to lack of proper planning. They then kept the receipt and taxed my expense money. Refused to hire or promote management instead forcing foreman to lead crews of 20 to 40 people per foreman and wondered why people did not fulfill their quota. Refused to listen to their employees instead attempting to use the strategies employed in the middle east.
Pros
They were kicked out of CNRL
Cons
Long hours, lack of leadership, poor planning, lack of materials to complete job.
An experience for sure. Unfortunately English wasn't the first language spoken.
Pipefitter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABJuly 10, 2016
Great money, great group of guys. Unfortunately the first language spoken wasn't English. The guilt of not working over time when plans and or other things come up was a little over the top. Management was a joke. But other then that, tools were there, and guys willing to help whenever needed, No matter what crew.
nice place to work
QC Inspector (Former Employee) –  albertaJuly 7, 2016
nice people to work with, nice place to work good working , good managemengt and I was able to help other people with my work experience
It was a great experience working with Saipem.
QC Inspector - Mechanical / Welding (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 7, 2016
Working with Saipem is the best illustration of "working in a fast-paced environment".
Since I joined the organization, I was on a busy mode most of the time. Had to complete the modules inspection with client so they can be delivered on time up to the completion of turn-over documentation.

It was really great though. I was able to deliver what they expected from me.

Its just sad that we are closing the operation here in Canada. More power.
Pros
Overtime hours.
Cons
Coming to work due to rail roads along the way.
Challenging and fast paced
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 13, 2016
As my first experience in an Oil and Gas based company, it was an eye opening experience to work for a international company based out of Italy, with all senior management and executive positions held by Foreign Nationals and not Canadians.

The Canadian engineers and managers were an exceptional and most valued source of experience and guidance. I enjoyed the work and project coordination in a fast paced environment lead by team oriented goals.
Pros
Strong team building and cooperative work
Cons
Italian organizational structure was far too out of date for North Americia
Mismanaged, culture of bullies.
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  CalgaryMay 25, 2016
A place where respect for people and competence is ignored but favoritism and systemic bullying are fostered. The culture has dwindled to that which keeps the most mediocre of leadership. The hr department is among the least competent of any company that seems to employ only unqualified ex-starbucks employees and college professors who know nothing about the industry or practical hr practices in general. Imagine being in an environment where hr has the authority to fire people without the consent of the department manager.

If you look at the state of the company, it's obvious the mismanagement continues. Any reasonable client with half a brain will avoid doing business with this company at all costs.

Anyone who has left the company has moved on to better jobs in Canadian workplaces where good work is rewarded and people are given the respect they deserve.

The one positive aspect is the worst people in the company are still employed there and are trapped in a job where they can't leave because the pay is too high; this ultimately benefits the entire industry because then they can't cause damage to other organizations. It will be wonderful when the company finally leaves the country.
Pros
Leaving Canada soon, keep bad people employed and out of other organizations
Cons
Mismanaged, favoritism, bullying work environment.
Fun and enjoy
Ironworker Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABMay 15, 2016
That company is very good unfortunately they don't have anymore projects so thats why they layoff somepeople , but when im working there its fun all of the people are nice !
Medium place to work with good benefits package
Intermediate Auto-Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 1, 2016
No the best place to learn
Needs a complete change at management level
No chance of advancement at the position you are assigned, stuck for as long as work there
Cultural divide creates communication issues
Internal Communications Officer and Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 5, 2016
Plenty of opportunity for this to be a great company, but the mix of expats from Italy who don't speak english or are familiar with the Canadian culture - and the folks from Calgary, makes for poor communication and resentment, which leads to a failing work culture.
Pros
a salary.
Cons
having to drag through a workday, with no incentive to innovate.
Primitive Management- HR worst management of entire company
Immigration Mobility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 29, 2015
Fast-paced environment. HR Management is very primitive, has a system of "friends first", capable people last. Manager privileges his friends (non skilled) and put them in "safe positions" to keep them, while he laid off people that are assets for the company using the "bad economy" as an argument for laid offs.
Pros
Good salary, good work-life balance.
Cons
Unfair treatment, no value hard work.
Magnificent company!
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
I had a real pleasure to have such a work experience with Saipem.
All employees were just concentrated on job implementation, not meetings, and the team was splendidly professional and friendly.
Beautiful Italian Office
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 10, 2015
Working with over 50% Italian ex-pats, the office environment has a different feel in terns of fashion, language and office policies.
Pros
Lots of espresso
Cons
Fridays are long as most of the staff leave by noon.
Awesome Comppany to work for
Apprentice Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 30, 2015
Was an great company to work for, It was always fun to be on the job, I met so many people from all over the world.Learning about their culture was interesting. The company always allowed workers to learn new skills and were very safety oriented. I enjoyed my job, as my forman and co-workers, we were all an team and worked hard to get the job done. The company taught me new skills,as I started as labor and worked up to 1st year pipefitter. I would certainly still be working there, if I was not laid off.
Pros
Helping me get my 1st apprentice ticket
Husky Sunrise was mismanaged from day one
Welder (Former Employee) –  Husky SunriseNovember 16, 2015
I worked there at the start of building the project as a B welder and from day one the place was in shambles. There was no tools or proper precedes on how to do things safely here in Canada. Everywhere I went on the job was rush rush rush to get things done but no tools or proper guidelines on how to do a job. When coming back on my 1st rotation I sat next to a accountant and found the reason why no tools cause they hadn't paid the supply bills. When coming back on my rotation I got my toolbox finally and set it up only to discover they started a night shift and needed all tools in including my welding helmet. I started to follow the proper procedures on welding with the same standards in the welding industry code book but I found it was broken way to often. They asked me to cut into a 3" pipe that was xrayed and hydrotested from the shop and I refused it cause I needed QA a procedure to do the job and they wouldn't or want to go to QA for this and it's supposed to b hush hush. Sry a foreign worker from poland who hadn't done his qualifying welds yet went and did the weld. This is not the only one of many weld procedure codes I witness that were broken and unsafe.

As for the management I would say the draw back they have is there is no Canadian managers that know the codes and work safe practices. I know the project is in operation already but I am really concerned about the quality of the work and their work practices to make the company's first show in oils and projects.
Pros
great workers from all nations except for management
Cons
lack of tools and shared PPE

2.9