Saint Mary's University

Saint Mary's University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent research opportunites
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), HalifaxMay 12, 2014
Saint Mary's is a great place to do an undergraduate degree or a Masters degree. The staff are very friendly and extremely knowledgeable. The lab facilities are excellent.
Average teaching assistant job
Saint Mary's Engineering Society Secretary (Former Employee), halifax, nsApril 21, 2014
Helped the professor with his afternoon lab session. Answered questions and helped students solve problems.
Energetic workplace
Academic Assistant Commerce (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMarch 21, 2014
Pros: good environment, supportive students
Cons: standing all the time during exam
Moving around the exam room, my job was to keep an eye on the students and to ensure that no one is cheating during the exam. The job needs "attention to details", so that no one can whisper or copy others. The hardest part of the job is when someone goes to the washroom and try to cheat. Since, in the washroom it is not possible to take a look, therefore – more... one can easily cheat. I also caught one person. He was trying to copy from his mobile. I actually enjoy when the professors supported us, when we say that someone is copying or trying to cheat. – less
Great work environment for students
Coach/Mentor (Current Employee), Halifax, NSFebruary 3, 2014
If you are a student and want a part time job on campus you should definitely apply at any SMU positions. They are flexible with your schedule and provides good reference.
Challenging project but very rewarding
Teacher's Assistant / Research Assistant (Former Employee), Halifax, NSSeptember 21, 2013
Worked independently as a research assistant on a project to help develop curriculum for a political science course in the making.
skills developed
Sustainability Week Volunteer (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJuly 26, 2013
• Possess strong knowledge of financial analysis, accounting, financial principles and tools from academic studies
• Demonstrated financial, analytical and decision making skills; and the ability to work in dynamic environments.
• Developed skills in different approaches to security selection and equity evaluation
• Gained accounting skills and principles – more... from the perspective of managerial decision-making as a result of completing multiple accounting courses including, financial accounting, managerial accounting and Planning and control. – less
productive work place
Student Security Officer (Former Employee), halifax, NSJuly 11, 2013
good
not bad
exclelltent

good
not bad
exclelltent

good
not bad
exclelltent

good
not bad
Great place to work.
Interviewer/Surveyor (Former Employee), Halifax, Nova ScotiaApril 24, 2013
Pros: excellent office hours
I really enjoyed the experience; I learned a great deal which required office management, student counselling, coordinating events, networking, sharing ideas. My co-workers were the greatest.
Good job as a student
Marker (Former Employee), Halifax, NSApril 15, 2013
A good way to earn a little money while at school but high work expectations for the income
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Halifax, NSApril 4, 2013
Pros: could exchange shifts, so flexible in that respect
Cons: benefits were limited in some areas
Good environment to work in,lots of interesting individuals.Also can access work out facilities and exchange ideas with a broad spectrum of people from all walks of life.Money was good with chance of adavancement.Employees were treated as family.I would arrive at work,do opening duties.Make sure all signage was in place.Make sure relevant computers – more... were turned on.Greeted customers,often many familiar faces.made sure did ancilliary work,update membership,process new membership.Responded to concerns.Had meetings with fellow employees and administration to review procedures and policies.Cleaned up shift for fellow employees.Of course,many other details and duties that would ususally crop up. – less
Engaging learning environment
Recruitment Office Assistant (Former Employee), Halifax, NSFebruary 28, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Engagement with student recruits from provincial and international high schools, providing personal assistance in class selection, campus guidance, tours, and delegating information for financial assistance.
• Exercised computer skills by organizing recruit information and data entry using Microsoft Office Excel and Word.
• Received and recorded inquiries – more... of potential applicants with use of the Banner Self-Serve computer software, generating a student ID number.
• Maintained open communication by reporting to superiors, completing voicemail checks, answering and transferring phone calls.
• Broadened the company’s appeal to its target candidates for varsity teams, study abroad and co-op opportunities
• Facilitated first year students’ registration by following academic calendar standards
• Assisted superiors by co-hosting Open House events and prepping materials for Money Matters events. – less
Fun learning environment
Student Athletic Therapist (Current Employee), ClinicFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, gym use, experience, etc.
Great people to work alongside, always entertaining with a great learning environment. There are weekly sessions allowing more practice for each skill, so there is lots of practice. Great place to work.
Back breaking and tedious but fun and sun!
Green Roof Researcher (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: being outdoors most of the time
Cons: tedium and back-breaking labor
A typical day at work was to either collect or enter collected data for the managing professor.

There were 600 3 foot by 3 foot planters filled with over 40 varieties of native Nova Scotian species in every combination imaginable and, of course, the controls.

Water retention, Albedo, Surface and sub-surface temperature readings, species count and – more... growth rates were measured each once per week. Each data parameter took itself one day minimum to complete so it was a non-stop cycle of rotating data collection.

Several hours were spent each day entering data collected into spreadsheets (excel) for statistical analysis by the managing professor.

My co-workers were fun and quirky and we would always head to the local lake for a dip after the hot and sweaty work of lugging the planters to and fro all day long. This made for a nicely satisfyingly complete day.

The managing professor is wonderful and we were pretty close friends by the end of the work term.

I learned a lot about green roofs, their benefits both environmentally and economically.

I also learned that if I was ever going to be in position where I could make my own green roof in Nova Scotia I would know the optimal combination of native plants to place on it.

The hardest part of the job was both the tedium and the physical labor.

The best part of the job aside from the above was the wonderful people I became family with and the glorious days of soaking in the sun. – less
A valuable work experience with mechatronics and robotics
Mechatronics Lab Technician (Current Employee), Halifax, NSDecember 29, 2012
Pros: engineering department, mechatronics, in school, part time
Cons: may have effected gpa
The beginning of the work term was slower paced, having picked up a lot by the end of the term. The main task involved being available to advise students on how to improve their Mars Rover designs for the Design 2 course, but also to ensure their safety in the lab.

As every student offered different ideas on how to approach a problem, it was a learning – more... experience that helped to expand knowledge related with mechatronics.

My favourite part of the job was watching the students perform the robotics competition at the end of the term. – less
work at st marys
Custodian (Current Employee), halifax nsAugust 22, 2012
Pros: vacation time increases with time you have worked here., you are off with pay over xmas holidays, 15 sick days a year that you can carry over.great benifits.
Cons: sometimes its hard to workaround the public to ensure a good job is done
we start and clean residence so that when students get up evrything is nice and clean for them.we learn how to cope on a day to day bases what to do in emergency situations and how to prioritize a work day. management is fair and reasonable. coworkersare awesome goodto get along with and really good team spirits.the hardest part of job would be having – more... to leave things undone cuz something else came up or we are short handed. the most enjoyable part would be looking at your days work and feeling good about it ,knowing that you ve nade a difference. – less
University security position
Residence Services Officer (Former Employee), Halifax, NSAugust 13, 2012
on call for any emergency that could happen on a university campus
Great university experience
Youth University Coordinator (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJuly 13, 2012
Pros: it was so much fun
since I was an international student in Saint Mary's university, I had difficult time blending in a new country as I missed the international orientation sessions. I decided to join the international orientation crew the next year to help new students blend in easier. I got to meet new people from every where in the world which helped me gain more experience – more... through dealing with different nationalities. – less
coworkers
Secretary to Facilities Management (Former Employee), Halifax NSJune 7, 2012
Pros: provide financial help for university tuition
Cons: senior managers and vp's
not paid competitevely for job position
major HR issues with difficult employees
mental stress dealing with these managers that you report to
Working on Academic Financial Analysis Projects as a Finance Student
Financial Analyst Trainee (Former Employee), Halifax, NSMay 3, 2012
I have learned the following:

• Trained in the Financial Industry
• Trained in collecting, examining and analyzing financial and investment information (using Fundamental, Technical and Quantitative Analysis)
• Trained in preparing and presenting comprehensive financial, statistical, narrative and analytical reports for senior executive and other stakeholders
 – more... Skilled in preparing company, industry and economic outlooks, analytical reports, briefing notes and correspondence
• Knowledgeable of financial regulatory practices
• Skilled in conducting various types of analysis such as trend, cost benefit, comparative, statistical and economic
• Strong knowledge of financial market instruments & Financial Derivatives
• Skilled in applying various Financial Risk Management techniques
• Skilled in assessing and forecasting the financial performance of different industries
• Skilled in providing investment advice and recommendations
• Able to work under pressure, independently and as a team player
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and willing to work in a fast-paced environment
• Proficient in using MS Office (Excel, Access, Word, PP...). Worked with Bloomberg – less
Productive and Fun workplace
Guidance Counselor (Former Employee), R02October 16, 2014
Pros: good administration
Cons: 3 years of service before being a regular employee
i learned to enjoy life while working. I was able to enhance my counseling skills and is able to have a research based output. Develop more my confidence in talking in front of group of people. i gained more friends. learned more of myself and that of others to better understand them.

About Saint Mary's University

Founded in 1911 by what is now The United Methodist Church, Southern Methodist University (SMU) is nonsectarian in its teaching – Read more

Saint Mary's University Photos