Saint Mary's University Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Flexible timings and friendly culture
Bright space migration & maintenance Engineer (Current Employee), Halifax, NSApril 24, 2016
The work culture is very friendly and professional. All the coworkers are so dedicated towards their work and helpful, especially if we are new to the work. Being a part time worker, the timings for me to work there are so flrxible.
Productive and Fun work enviornment
Office Manager (Current Employee), Halifax, NSApril 22, 2016
Great coworkers. My days here are quite busy between students and my day to day duties.

It is a very comfortable work environment.
Flexible and positive work environment
Teaching Assistant/Proctor (Current Employee), Halifax, NSApril 2, 2016
Very flexible work hours as a teaching assistant, some weeks will be busier than others but you have a clear idea of what weeks will be busier ahead of time based on the course syllabus. Responsibilities vary depending on what course and what professor you're assigned to, however no course will exceed roughly 4 hours of work per week. A great work environment!
University with opportunity
Ask a SMUdent Volunteer (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMarch 28, 2016
Many jobs available to students at SMU who know where to look. Keep an eye on online posting on the school site, and look for specific dates for department specific postings.
Productive, fun, relaxed environment
SAGA Volunteer (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMarch 2, 2016
Pros: great experiences
Cons: too much time between events
A great place to volunteer and meet new people! I enjoy the activities we have to do to incease international awareness and further the 'unity' agenda.
productive and fun place.
Teaching assistant (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJanuary 31, 2016
I learned how to manage my time properly and finish marking the tests before the due date. My co-workers were pretty good with me. the hardest part of the job was giving the student a mark, whereas the enjoyable part was marking/done marking the test.
Very professional environment with a family feel!
EQUIPMENT MANAGER, Men's Hockey (Current Employee), Halifax, NSOctober 1, 2015
I have worked and volunteered here for several years. My primary job is in the Canadian Armed Forces as a Sonar Operator. I was injured in 2009 and needed surgery. I looked for something to pass the time and started as a photographer/ Equipment manager with a local Junior A team. After 5 years with that team I moved over to Saint Marys on request from that organization to clean up the "back room". I can honestly say I would do it again. I normally work 40-50 hrs aside from from my primary job. I order equipment and manage the dressing room and bench duties for all home and away games. I do all the maintenence on equipment from sewing to sharpening skates and even developing new protective gear for players. It is not unusual to spend 12-14 hours a day on weekends at the rink. Definately the most enjoyable part of the game is being at the rink and being a part of a team environment. Interaction with the players and fans is amongst the most enjoyable. One of the hardest parts would be as players leave and season ends. At our level of play in the University level, that final game of the season for some players will be their last at a competitive level.
It's a good experience working for Saint Mary's University.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Halifax, NSSeptember 14, 2015
I worked as teaching assistants for Saint Mary's University. Through that time I learnt how to colaborate with each other and be a hard worker.
Fun
IT Technical Support (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJune 7, 2015
Well i would say this is my part time experience and i learnt work too many skills from this job as-well

Management was awesome at work place

i enjoyed my job
Hardest part to deal with professor regarding the technical issue
SMU
GIS Assistant (Former Employee), Halifax, Nova ScotiaMay 4, 2015
This was a summer contract job. it provided me work experience that helped me with my education and getting work with the Nova Scotia Government
great accounting program
student (Former Employee), Halifax, NSAugust 18, 2014
Love this school, great teacher, great accounting program, learned a lot
Excellent research opportunites
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), HalifaxMay 12, 2014
Saint Mary's is a great place to do an undergraduate degree or a Masters degree. The staff are very friendly and extremely knowledgeable. The lab facilities are excellent.
Average teaching assistant job
Saint Mary's Engineering Society Secretary (Former Employee), halifax, nsApril 21, 2014
Helped the professor with his afternoon lab session. Answered questions and helped students solve problems.
Energetic workplace
Academic Assistant Commerce (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMarch 21, 2014
Pros: good environment, supportive students
Cons: standing all the time during exam
Moving around the exam room, my job was to keep an eye on the students and to ensure that no one is cheating during the exam. The job needs "attention to details", so that no one can whisper or copy others. The hardest part of the job is when someone goes to the washroom and try to cheat. Since, in the washroom it is not possible to take a look, therefore one can easily cheat. I also caught one person. He was trying to copy from his mobile. I actually enjoy when the professors supported us, when we say that someone is copying or trying to cheat.
Great work environment for students
Coach/Mentor (Current Employee), Halifax, NSFebruary 3, 2014
If you are a student and want a part time job on campus you should definitely apply at any SMU positions. They are flexible with your schedule and provides good reference.
Challenging project but very rewarding
Teacher's Assistant / Research Assistant (Former Employee), Halifax, NSSeptember 21, 2013
Worked independently as a research assistant on a project to help develop curriculum for a political science course in the making.
skills developed
Sustainability Week Volunteer (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJuly 26, 2013
• Possess strong knowledge of financial analysis, accounting, financial principles and tools from academic studies
• Demonstrated financial, analytical and decision making skills; and the ability to work in dynamic environments.
• Developed skills in different approaches to security selection and equity evaluation
• Gained accounting skills and principles from the perspective of managerial decision-making as a result of completing multiple accounting courses including, financial accounting, managerial accounting and Planning and control.
Great place to work.
Interviewer/Surveyor (Former Employee), Halifax, Nova ScotiaApril 24, 2013
Pros: excellent office hours
I really enjoyed the experience; I learned a great deal which required office management, student counselling, coordinating events, networking, sharing ideas. My co-workers were the greatest.
Good job as a student
Marker (Former Employee), Halifax, NSApril 15, 2013
A good way to earn a little money while at school but high work expectations for the income
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Halifax, NSApril 4, 2013
Pros: could exchange shifts, so flexible in that respect
Cons: benefits were limited in some areas
Good environment to work in,lots of interesting individuals.Also can access work out facilities and exchange ideas with a broad spectrum of people from all walks of life.Money was good with chance of adavancement.Employees were treated as family.I would arrive at work,do opening duties.Make sure all signage was in place.Make sure relevant computers were turned on.Greeted customers,often many familiar faces.made sure did ancilliary work,update membership,process new membership.Responded to concerns.Had meetings with fellow employees and administration to review procedures and policies.Cleaned up shift for fellow employees.Of course,many other details and duties that would ususally crop up.