Saint Mary's University Employee Reviews

Great Company
Cultural Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 August 2016
Great company to work with, great CEO and great environment. Pay is also good too. Friendly environment, clean and safe workplace
Volunteering
Data Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 October 2016
At this job I learned how to manage a large group of people at a time and also learned how to organize events and arrange logistics for that specific event.
Very convenient position
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 September 2016
Working at Saint Mary's while attending school there was very convenient. They worked around my schedule, and I was able to experience different events.
work at st marys
Custodian (Current Employee) –  halifax ns22 August 2012
we start and clean residence so that when students get up evrything is nice and clean for them.we learn how to cope on a day to day bases what to do in emergency situations and how to prioritize a work day. management is fair and reasonable. coworkersare awesome goodto get along with and really good team spirits.the hardest part of job would be having to leave things undone cuz something else came up or we are short handed. the most enjoyable part would be looking at your days work and feeling good about it ,knowing that you ve nade a difference.
Pros
vacation time increases with time you have worked here., you are off with pay over xmas holidays, 15 sick days a year that you can carry over.great benifits.
Cons
sometimes its hard to workaround the public to ensure a good job is done
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 April 2013
Good environment to work in,lots of interesting individuals.Also can access work out facilities and exchange ideas with a broad spectrum of people from all walks of life.Money was good with chance of adavancement.Employees were treated as family.I would arrive at work,do opening duties.Make sure all signage was in place.Make sure relevant computers were turned on.Greeted customers,often many familiar faces.made sure did ancilliary work,update membership,process new membership.Responded to concerns.Had meetings with fellow employees and administration to review procedures and policies.Cleaned up shift for fellow employees.Of course,many other details and duties that would ususally crop up.
Pros
could exchange shifts, so flexible in that respect
Cons
benefits were limited in some areas
Flexible timings and friendly culture
Bright space migration & maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS24 April 2016
The work culture is very friendly and professional. All the coworkers are so dedicated towards their work and helpful, especially if we are new to the work. Being a part time worker, the timings for me to work there are so flrxible.
student assistant
Assistant Librarian (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 June 2016
It's a good job for student with no working experience, especially for international students to practice english and develop social skills.
Pros
improve communication
Cons
only for part-time job except summer
Flexible and positive work environment
Teaching Assistant/Proctor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 April 2016
Very flexible work hours as a teaching assistant, some weeks will be busier than others but you have a clear idea of what weeks will be busier ahead of time based on the course syllabus. Responsibilities vary depending on what course and what professor you're assigned to, however no course will exceed roughly 4 hours of work per week. A great work environment!
Not a bad job but
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax N.S.9 May 2016
The pay was small for how much work needed to be done. In order to do the job properly, I ended up working more hours and not getting paid for them. I will not be a teaching assistant again.
Relaxed environment
Student Security Co-Head (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 April 2016
Pretty good job, stable hours through the school year but sparse in summer. Logical and everyone is understanding about school work coming before shifts.
Pros
very good for school coming first
Cons
Sparse hours in summer
Productive and Fun work enviornment
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 April 2016
Great coworkers. My days here are quite busy between students and my day to day duties.

It is a very comfortable work environment.
University with opportunity
Ask a SMUdent Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS28 March 2016
Many jobs available to students at SMU who know where to look. Keep an eye on online posting on the school site, and look for specific dates for department specific postings.
Productive, fun, relaxed environment
SAGA Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 March 2016
A great place to volunteer and meet new people! I enjoy the activities we have to do to incease international awareness and further the 'unity' agenda.
Pros
great experiences
Cons
too much time between events
productive and fun place.
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS31 January 2016
I learned how to manage my time properly and finish marking the tests before the due date. My co-workers were pretty good with me. the hardest part of the job was giving the student a mark, whereas the enjoyable part was marking/done marking the test.
Back breaking and tedious but fun and sun!
Green Roof Researcher (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 January 2013
A typical day at work was to either collect or enter collected data for the managing professor.

There were 600 3 foot by 3 foot planters filled with over 40 varieties of native Nova Scotian species in every combination imaginable and, of course, the controls.

Water retention, Albedo, Surface and sub-surface temperature readings, species count and growth rates were measured each once per week. Each data parameter took itself one day minimum to complete so it was a non-stop cycle of rotating data collection.

Several hours were spent each day entering data collected into spreadsheets (excel) for statistical analysis by the managing professor.

My co-workers were fun and quirky and we would always head to the local lake for a dip after the hot and sweaty work of lugging the planters to and fro all day long. This made for a nicely satisfyingly complete day.

The managing professor is wonderful and we were pretty close friends by the end of the work term.

I learned a lot about green roofs, their benefits both environmentally and economically.

I also learned that if I was ever going to be in position where I could make my own green roof in Nova Scotia I would know the optimal combination of native plants to place on it.

The hardest part of the job was both the tedium and the physical labor.

The best part of the job aside from the above was the wonderful people I became family with and the glorious days of soaking in the sun.
Pros
being outdoors most of the time
Cons
tedium and back-breaking labor
Very professional environment with a family feel!
EQUIPMENT MANAGER, Men's Hockey (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 October 2015
I have worked and volunteered here for several years. My primary job is in the Canadian Armed Forces as a Sonar Operator. I was injured in 2009 and needed surgery. I looked for something to pass the time and started as a photographer/ Equipment manager with a local Junior A team. After 5 years with that team I moved over to Saint Marys on request from that organization to clean up the "back room". I can honestly say I would do it again. I normally work 40-50 hrs aside from from my primary job. I order equipment and manage the dressing room and bench duties for all home and away games. I do all the maintenence on equipment from sewing to sharpening skates and even developing new protective gear for players. It is not unusual to spend 12-14 hours a day on weekends at the rink. Definately the most enjoyable part of the game is being at the rink and being a part of a team environment. Interaction with the players and fans is amongst the most enjoyable. One of the hardest parts would be as players leave and season ends. At our level of play in the University level, that final game of the season for some players will be their last at a competitive level.
Fun
IT Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 June 2015
Well i would say this is my part time experience and i learnt work too many skills from this job as-well

Management was awesome at work place

i enjoyed my job
Hardest part to deal with professor regarding the technical issue
It's a good experience working for Saint Mary's University.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 September 2015
I worked as teaching assistants for Saint Mary's University. Through that time I learnt how to colaborate with each other and be a hard worker.
Engaging learning environment
Recruitment Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS28 February 2013
Engagement with student recruits from provincial and international high schools, providing personal assistance in class selection, campus guidance, tours, and delegating information for financial assistance.
• Exercised computer skills by organizing recruit information and data entry using Microsoft Office Excel and Word.
• Received and recorded inquiries of potential applicants with use of the Banner Self-Serve computer software, generating a student ID number.
• Maintained open communication by reporting to superiors, completing voicemail checks, answering and transferring phone calls.
• Broadened the company’s appeal to its target candidates for varsity teams, study abroad and co-op opportunities
• Facilitated first year students’ registration by following academic calendar standards
• Assisted superiors by co-hosting Open House events and prepping materials for Money Matters events.
Pros
free lunches
A valuable work experience with mechatronics and robotics
Mechatronics Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 December 2012
The beginning of the work term was slower paced, having picked up a lot by the end of the term. The main task involved being available to advise students on how to improve their Mars Rover designs for the Design 2 course, but also to ensure their safety in the lab.

As every student offered different ideas on how to approach a problem, it was a learning experience that helped to expand knowledge related with mechatronics.

My favourite part of the job was watching the students perform the robotics competition at the end of the term.
Pros
engineering department, mechatronics, in school, part time
Cons
may have effected gpa

4.3