Saint Mary's University Employee Reviews in Canada

Flexible and positive work environment
Teaching Assistant/Proctor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 2, 2016
Very flexible work hours as a teaching assistant, some weeks will be busier than others but you have a clear idea of what weeks will be busier ahead of time based on the course syllabus. Responsibilities vary depending on what course and what professor you're assigned to, however no course will exceed roughly 4 hours of work per week. A great work environment!
Flexible timings and friendly culture
Bright space migration & maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 24, 2016
The work culture is very friendly and professional. All the coworkers are so dedicated towards their work and helpful, especially if we are new to the work. Being a part time worker, the timings for me to work there are so flrxible.
Relaxed environment
Student Security Co-Head (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 26, 2016
Pretty good job, stable hours through the school year but sparse in summer. Logical and everyone is understanding about school work coming before shifts.
Pros
very good for school coming first
Cons
Sparse hours in summer
Not a bad job but
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax N.S.May 9, 2016
The pay was small for how much work needed to be done. In order to do the job properly, I ended up working more hours and not getting paid for them. I will not be a teaching assistant again.
productive and fun place.
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 31, 2016
I learned how to manage my time properly and finish marking the tests before the due date. My co-workers were pretty good with me. the hardest part of the job was giving the student a mark, whereas the enjoyable part was marking/done marking the test.
Productive, fun, relaxed environment
SAGA Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSMarch 2, 2016
A great place to volunteer and meet new people! I enjoy the activities we have to do to incease international awareness and further the 'unity' agenda.
Pros
great experiences
Cons
too much time between events
University with opportunity
Ask a SMUdent Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSMarch 28, 2016
Many jobs available to students at SMU who know where to look. Keep an eye on online posting on the school site, and look for specific dates for department specific postings.
Productive and Fun work enviornment
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 22, 2016
Great coworkers. My days here are quite busy between students and my day to day duties.

It is a very comfortable work environment.
It's a good experience working for Saint Mary's University.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSSeptember 14, 2015
I worked as teaching assistants for Saint Mary's University. Through that time I learnt how to colaborate with each other and be a hard worker.
Very professional environment with a family feel!
EQUIPMENT MANAGER, Men's Hockey (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSOctober 1, 2015
I have worked and volunteered here for several years. My primary job is in the Canadian Armed Forces as a Sonar Operator. I was injured in 2009 and needed surgery. I looked for something to pass the time and started as a photographer/ Equipment manager with a local Junior A team. After 5 years with that team I moved over to Saint Marys on request from that organization to clean up the "back room". I can honestly say I would do it again. I normally work 40-50 hrs aside from from my primary job. I order equipment and manage the dressing room and bench duties for all home and away games. I do all the maintenence on equipment from sewing to sharpening skates and even developing new protective gear for players. It is not unusual to spend 12-14 hours a day on weekends at the rink. Definately the most enjoyable part of the game is being at the rink and being a part of a team environment. Interaction with the players and fans is amongst the most enjoyable. One of the hardest parts would be as players leave and season ends. At our level of play in the University level, that final game of the season for some players will be their last at a competitive level.
Fun
IT Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 7, 2015
Well i would say this is my part time experience and i learnt work too many skills from this job as-well

Management was awesome at work place

i enjoyed my job
Hardest part to deal with professor regarding the technical issue
Energetic workplace
Academic Assistant Commerce (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSMarch 21, 2014
Moving around the exam room, my job was to keep an eye on the students and to ensure that no one is cheating during the exam. The job needs "attention to details", so that no one can whisper or copy others. The hardest part of the job is when someone goes to the washroom and try to cheat. Since, in the washroom it is not possible to take a look, therefore one can easily cheat. I also caught one person. He was trying to copy from his mobile. I actually enjoy when the professors supported us, when we say that someone is copying or trying to cheat.
Pros
good environment, supportive students
Cons
standing all the time during exam
skills developed
Sustainability Week Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 26, 2013
• Possess strong knowledge of financial analysis, accounting, financial principles and tools from academic studies
• Demonstrated financial, analytical and decision making skills; and the ability to work in dynamic environments.
• Developed skills in different approaches to security selection and equity evaluation
• Gained accounting skills and principles from the perspective of managerial decision-making as a result of completing multiple accounting courses including, financial accounting, managerial accounting and Planning and control.
Great university experience
Youth University Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 13, 2012
since I was an international student in Saint Mary's university, I had difficult time blending in a new country as I missed the international orientation sessions. I decided to join the international orientation crew the next year to help new students blend in easier. I got to meet new people from every where in the world which helped me gain more experience through dealing with different nationalities.
Pros
it was so much fun
A valuable work experience with mechatronics and robotics
Mechatronics Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSDecember 29, 2012
The beginning of the work term was slower paced, having picked up a lot by the end of the term. The main task involved being available to advise students on how to improve their Mars Rover designs for the Design 2 course, but also to ensure their safety in the lab.

As every student offered different ideas on how to approach a problem, it was a learning experience that helped to expand knowledge related with mechatronics.

My favourite part of the job was watching the students perform the robotics competition at the end of the term.
Pros
engineering department, mechatronics, in school, part time
Cons
may have effected gpa
work at st marys
Custodian (Current Employee) –  halifax nsAugust 22, 2012
we start and clean residence so that when students get up evrything is nice and clean for them.we learn how to cope on a day to day bases what to do in emergency situations and how to prioritize a work day. management is fair and reasonable. coworkersare awesome goodto get along with and really good team spirits.the hardest part of job would be having to leave things undone cuz something else came up or we are short handed. the most enjoyable part would be looking at your days work and feeling good about it ,knowing that you ve nade a difference.
Pros
vacation time increases with time you have worked here., you are off with pay over xmas holidays, 15 sick days a year that you can carry over.great benifits.
Cons
sometimes its hard to workaround the public to ensure a good job is done
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 4, 2013
Good environment to work in,lots of interesting individuals.Also can access work out facilities and exchange ideas with a broad spectrum of people from all walks of life.Money was good with chance of adavancement.Employees were treated as family.I would arrive at work,do opening duties.Make sure all signage was in place.Make sure relevant computers were turned on.Greeted customers,often many familiar faces.made sure did ancilliary work,update membership,process new membership.Responded to concerns.Had meetings with fellow employees and administration to review procedures and policies.Cleaned up shift for fellow employees.Of course,many other details and duties that would ususally crop up.
Pros
could exchange shifts, so flexible in that respect
Cons
benefits were limited in some areas
SMU
GIS Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, Nova ScotiaMay 4, 2015
This was a summer contract job. it provided me work experience that helped me with my education and getting work with the Nova Scotia Government
Fun learning environment
Student Athletic Therapist (Current Employee) –  ClinicFebruary 11, 2013
Great people to work alongside, always entertaining with a great learning environment. There are weekly sessions allowing more practice for each skill, so there is lots of practice. Great place to work.
Pros
flexible hours, gym use, experience, etc.
Engaging learning environment
Recruitment Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSFebruary 28, 2013
Engagement with student recruits from provincial and international high schools, providing personal assistance in class selection, campus guidance, tours, and delegating information for financial assistance.
• Exercised computer skills by organizing recruit information and data entry using Microsoft Office Excel and Word.
• Received and recorded inquiries of potential applicants with use of the Banner Self-Serve computer software, generating a student ID number.
• Maintained open communication by reporting to superiors, completing voicemail checks, answering and transferring phone calls.
• Broadened the company’s appeal to its target candidates for varsity teams, study abroad and co-op opportunities
• Facilitated first year students’ registration by following academic calendar standards
• Assisted superiors by co-hosting Open House events and prepping materials for Money Matters events.
Pros
free lunches

4.2