Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

St. Alphonsus is a desireable place to work.
Clinical Informatics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boise, ID22 January 2018
Overall, St. Alphonsus is an enjoyable place to work with a friendly environment. A typical day at work involves training a class of nurses and/or Support Associates. Along with training, a support model is also in place for all of our EHR end users. We make sure we do not create silos in our department as we share information fluidly.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
May have to work extra hours depending on the week.
Well Structured Workplace With Opportunities For Advancement
SUPPORT ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID9 January 2018
Saint Alphonsus is a great place to work. They encourage and help pay for employees to go back to work. They off competitive pay. Great benefits for employees and their families.
Summary
Environmental Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID7 January 2018
I cleaned the main hospital, I also cleaned the patient's room. I worked in main surgery for 5 years deep cleaning rooms from top to bottom. Also I cleaned ER.
General Surgery & Trauma
RN III General Surg/Trauma Floor (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID16 November 2017
I enjoyed my time with Saint Alphonsus tremendously. Fast paced and always something new to learn. They did not pay as well as I would have liked but the learning experience was amazing.
Busy & meaningful
Administrative Assistant to Vice President & CNO (Current Employee) –  Boise, ID6 November 2017
Busy & Meaningful
Great culture, Supportive Management. Low pay and low raises & low chance of advancement.
Not enough admins, therefore more work for others.
Wonderfull place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID31 October 2017
Felt very supported by management and co-workers. Learned a lot
about labor and delivery. Worked 12 hour shifts. Great team work.
Management was always around to help and support me it needed, they were physically visible. Hardest part of the job was if a family lost their baby. Another hard part of my job was learning other cultures and their preferences in deliver. Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the joy in those whom had a live birth.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Various cultures
Health Care
Guest Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID27 October 2017
The hospital is part of a larger health system and doesn't have the autonomy it once had. Lay offs and leaving positions unfilled make for tired and disloyal employees.
They are working very lean, hopefully not to the detriment of patient care.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Lack of support of employees
Physician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID30 August 2017
The Orthopedic trauma team is overworked for the pay received. However, it is staffed with an excellent group of Physicians and PAs that work well together.
Free at Last
Direct Patient Care (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID7 August 2017
I am a former employee who recently resigned and I am so grateful to have washed my hands of St Alphonsus Medical Center in Boise, ID. Overworked, understaffed, unappreciated and morbidly under- paid. From HR straight on up the ladder, there is utter disregard for the well being of employees and quite frankly patients as well. In all fairness there are some isolated pockets of good things too from select individuals but, I feel its grossly disproportionate in the wrong direction overall. This company will work you to death then come up with any reason to drop you into a toilet when annual raises and reviews come around. The starting salary is horrible...Even by Idaho's low-pay standards. The raises are even more horrible, or laughable depending on your sense of humor.

This is actually the first time I have ever felt inclined to reach out and post a review of a current or former employer. I felt obligated to speak out. Personally, you can see the lack of moral on the vast majority of faces who work for Al's. Please don't take my word for it. Just pop in there randomly and walk the halls or ask a former employee/patient about their experience. I suspect many employees feel trapped or they would probably speak out more so. Ironically, one of the first things I was told when I started at Al's was to be very tight lipped and careful what you say and who you say it to (the walls have ears), or they will remove you very quickly and without notice. Franky, I think that advice was a bit over the top but who knows...I see many employees who appear to walk on eggshells at work out of
  more... utter fear. Those who did talk about some of these concerns/issues would always start off by telling you, "You didn't here it from me." Nonetheless, I decided to play it safe, for the most part and thought it best to save some of my thoughts/concerns until after I new I would be resigning from St Alphonsus... Then, I voiced these thoughts/concerns to the appropriate people in a constructive manner. However, non to my surprise , it all fell on deaf-ears. Your a cheap number at St Alphonsus and easily replaced.

I have many many years of excellent patient care and experience in the health care field. However, while working for this company it actually made me want to leave the health care field for another career choice all together. However, I stayed in the health-care field and have found an employer who actually appreciates their employees. Good starting salary, decent raises, affordable health insurance for part and full-time employees, good staffing ratios etc...

On the other hand, I could sit here and give hundreds of specific examples as to how lousy St Alphonsus Medical Center treats their staff but, I think I will stop here. In closing, I worked with some really fantastic people too. My criticisms for the most part are in regards to my experiences with hr, management, upper management, the terrible starting pay and raises, and being constantly understaffed/overworked by spreading the floors so thin its literally impossible to effectively and properly care for yourself and your patients in a safe healthy manner. I feel its purposeful and utterly disgraceful. .
Pros
Food is decent
Cons
Overworked, understaffed, unappreciated and morbidly underpaid.
Mismanagement and unethical
Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID5 August 2017
Worst employer ever. Human Resources does not do their job when it comes to harassment complaints, nor does it provide proper treatment of employees who are being written up for policies never written.
A great place to learn the skills of Phlebotomy.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID 837063 August 2017
Fast paced, well rounded, great people to work with in the lab, office central processing and inpatient staff!
The manager really tries to do his best with the constraints he's dealt. He always had our backs and was very supportive.
The hardest part of the job was constantly being understaffed.
Pros
great place to learn
Cons
constantly understaffed
Echo Technologist (Current Employee) –  Boise, ID23 July 2017
It is a wonderful place to work, and great staff! Always new experiences everyday there that provide excellent career experiences to build upon.
Work/Life Balance skewed
Clinical Resource Manager (Current Employee) –  Boise, ID30 May 2017
Too many required morning meetings while the expectation to discharge patients remains the same.
Work life balance is not as it was portrayed. When salaried, this should have been transparent during the interview process.
However, I adore the providers and colleagues that I work with!
Pros
Great providers and colleagues
Cons
Poor work/life balance
Growing hospital meeting needs of the community
Surgical Nurse & University Preceptor (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID5 May 2017
Fast pace environment. Leading hospital meeting the needs of the community. Strong leadership that fosters team cohesion. Opportunities for advancement and education.
State of the art facility, too many chiefs, not enough indians
Central Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID16 December 2016
As a non profit facility, Saint Alphonsus offers the employees a huge array of devices within their department to help make working there much more convenient. Which would be fantastic, if they were in working order most of the time.

They have a large enough budget to spend excessively, yet underpay their staff and continue to add on additional expectations as senior leadership pressured the department into performing beyond their means.

As a former enployee with 6+ years of certified experience, I was shocked to learn that new hires were making as much as myself. I was threatened with my job when I brought this up to my manager.

Working with other departments was a struggle at best. Their detachment from the work day is amazing. Pulling strings to a facility they have never actually used. The experience leaves a lot to be desired.

Being understaffed means you have a job for as long as you can stand being overworked, or answer to a clueless management team.

The great employees I have worked with have since found other things to do with their time, all driven out by the same problems.

Typical big business.
Pros
Made some lifelong friendships, gained valuable work experience, large facility
Cons
Long nights, half wits. Poor compensation. Clueless team leads.
Excellent Organization.
Environmental Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID12 November 2015
A typical day at work involved going to meetings, counseling colleagues, and directing the Environmental Services and Linen Services Departments. The other managers were excellent to work with when collaborating on business decisions and process improvement meetings. The hardest part of the job were keeping ahead of many projects that were on going, and being able to include your professional personal goals that you have in mind for your departments to improve in efficiencies and cost savings measures.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the organizations culture of serving the poor and underserved in the community.
Pros
Staff that enjoy what they do.
Very difficult job
Cytotechnologist (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID2 August 2014
A typical day at work involved screening imaged gyn specimens on a review scope, gyn quality control, conventional smears and non-gyn specimens. I assisted on FNA procedures and prepared non-gyn specimens for review. Management was awful. The daily workload was put in the hands of a micro managing overbearing control freak. Once one was able to get past the constantly changing instructions and criticism, work was rather routine. Co-workers were drawn into clicks. If you were in a click then you were fine. Resist being drawn into a click and you were shunned. Dealing with the management and clicks was the most difficult part of my job. The most enjoyable part of my job was simply doing cytology and knowing that my work was helping patients.
Pros
Good compensation and benefits.
Cons
Poor to nonexistant management.
Quality and Integrity based Health System
Certified Coding Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Boise Idaho11 July 2014
The most rewarding part of my job is knowing that I am ensuring that the best possible coding and compliance practices are being followed and completed by myself and my peers every day. A typical day for me starts by opening up my system and getting right to the "meat" of my job reviewing the documentation of what the physicians did for each patient. Ensuring that every code is correct and that everything is documented fully on each patient. Management is always approachable and continues to be a huge support when needed. My co-workers are wonderful to work with, we are able to bounce information and questions off of each other to get another perspective on information to do the best job that we can.
Pros
Continuing Education opportunities
Excellent Work Environment
Patient and Equipment Transporter (Current Employee) –  Boise, ID16 June 2014
A typical day as a transporter includes 10+ miles of walking around the hospital interacting with patients, nurses, and doctors. A lot of heavy lifting and pushing heavy beds and carts.
Confidential, personable, detail focused, professional, dependable
Lead Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID3 June 2014
Throughout my years of experience in the medical field, I have consistently exceeded projections, gaining a reputation as an expert with the ability to calmly and professionally deal with all levels of patient issues, from financial conversations to helping them to remain calm in crisis situations. In addition, I ensure that all daily duties were carried out in an ethical, confidential dependable, professional, safe, economical and timely manner. As an Office Manager I also ensure that my staff carries out all the business requirements with customer service as a priority as well as coaching and motivating everyone to achieve excellence.

My organization, and detail focus, combined with my professional attitude have allowed me to successfully gain valuable insight into how to ask the right questions of the patients, to ensure that their needs are met, and that I develop and maintain positive, collaborative relationships with all levels of the Medical family I belong to.