SAIL Employee Reviews

Terrible Management, high turnover.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 August 2016
Working at SAIL was very interesting. The work environment was a family setting. Team members respected eachother and the atmosphere was overall great.

However, the cashier's manager was very strict, close minded, and rude. She had terrible customer service skills and lacked the ability to have a normal conversation. She didn't care about personal issues when I worked there. She didnt like working with men. She fired most of us and kept all the females (even though they obtain the high numbers males got)

My VIP numbers were the best on the team, yet that didn't matter. I was fired because I didn't "fit in".

They don't care about their employees.
Pros
Friendly team
Cons
Terrible management
Sail is a reliable fun workplace. Great staff to work with, its always enjoyable, but also hardworking employees.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON5 July 2016
On a typical day at Sail, I would stock the floor as well as re merchandise a few aisles. I learned how to become better at visual merchandising as well as I grew my knowledge in the outdoors. The management as well as my co-workers are all reliable and are never afraid to give a helping hand. I find the hardest part of the job is to re merchandise aisle that you do not have a lot of product for. For example, if I had to re merchandise the freeze dried food aisle and there is not a lot of product I would need to spread product out. The downfall is it looks empty. The most enjoyable part of the day is helping customers finding the exact product they need and seeing them walk out the store with a smile on their face.
My time at Sail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan18 May 2016
Pros; Great team at Sail, made a lot of relationships with fellow co-workers. Meeting customers and learning from them or teaching them was a great experience. Discounts/prostaff deals. SOME managers were friendly and sociable. Benefits.

Cons; Some management were not sociable and would constantly lurk around trying to catch you doing something "bad". Sales are pushed hard to a point of tracking what you sell (non commission job). Can be slow on some days so keep busy for 8 hours facing product, or sweeping if no other tasks are needed. Low pay.

Higher management needs to work a month in the sales environment to see all the product they dont carry that people are wanting.
Horrible management, will not work around other jobs and the politics are unrealistic.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON8 April 2016
I worked at Sail for a year i loved it at first as i worked in the hunting department and i learned alot from my coworkers. But then i got moved into the warehouse full time and it went down hill. I was constantly working weekends when other coworkers had every weekend off, i was accused of false statements and they never even gave me a chance to explain. I was harrased twice while working here once by a male employee calling me ugly and another time by a coworkers girl friend who threatened to beat me up if i talked to her boyfriend. Neither time was anything done by the company. And to top it off i was fired because i apparently am a racist. Not a good place to work. You get a review once a year and your lucky if you get a 25 cent raise. Its a joke.
Pros
The discount
Cons
The management
HORRIBLE
Fishing Dept Emoloyee (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON10 November 2015
Managers have no clue what they're doing, at least in the Oshawa store. Fishing manager didn't even know how to tell the size of a reel. Treated employees like garbage. Every store is the same, they don't carry LOCAL species gear. Horrible selection, average prices. Def not a Bass Pro Shops.
Pros
Discount on gear
Cons
Everything else.
A great place to work!
Merchandiser/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON23 July 2015
There is a very strong sense of team at Sail. Managment staff was always there to listen and help and made me feel valued as a staff member which I beleive is critical in a team environment. Safety standards and cleanliness are a high priority in this compant as well as top nothc customer service. I really enjoyed the customers that ventured into Sail!
Pros
Hour Lunch Break, Great team!
Cons
Far commute for me!
SAIL is a fun, positive place of employment.
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON30 March 2016
A typical day at work consists of greeting customers and giving them the best service and product knowledge possible. This involves finding out the needs and desires of our customers through consistent communication, asking questions and inquiring about each background. Because SAIL is such a huge work environment, it is extremely important to know each department and management team as well as product knowledge. It is an outdoor store so advanced knowledge with regard to outdoor living is required.
Although I do have a vast background related to backpacking, camping, hiking, fishing and outdoor activity, I have learned much more during my experience with SAIL. The management as well as the staff are open and honest. We take pride in working with and assisting one another whenever possible. Not only do we work well together within our work environment, we have created a special bond outside of our work lives through our social committee. We believe that communication, trust and empathy are important aspects to maintain our relationships.
Pros
I have a passion for the outdoors, enjoy learning new places, products, meeting new people
Cons
The most challenging aspect of the job are the hours spent on my feet on the concrete floor. However, I have learned to adapt and thrive in the environment.
Nice people, awful policies.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 November 2015
This job requires employees to be very active and multitask for long hours yet does not give hard working employees 15 minute breaks as a courtesy. They do not makes sures breaks are every 5 hours. For the amount of product an average associate is selling per hour, the fact that they do no provide commission on sales is appalling.

This is not a good job for students because the schedules change often, it is very difficult to get time off and spontaneous "Product Knowledge" nights pop up often, making it hard for students to balance their work and school life.

Sometimes shifts are over 10 hours long but employees are not paid overtime because the "training" hours are paid by the HQ and not from the store budget, so it's as if the employee is working at two different jobs in a day.

The staff is very friendly and the discount is good. Otherwise there is no real benefit to working here for part-timers. They do not respect their employees' availability.
Pros
Discount, Friendly Staff
Cons
Long shifts with no overtime, Does not give 15 minute breaks, Inflexible in scheduling, Does not respect employee availability.
Get to communicate with great customers and meet new people
Cashier/Shipping & Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan15 October 2012
•Assisted customers with all inquiries related to promotions, products and services
•Handled cash and debit transactions including returns
•Leaded activities designed to promote in-store sales including shelf layout, point of purchase displays, and promotional events demonstrating my leadership skills
•Set up new plan-o-grams
•Maintained a clean working environment at all times.
Pros
get to see first hand new products that will be coming out on shelves
Cons
cleaning up after hours
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 June 2015
I work cash and customer service and I occasionally work reception. I enjoy working here because I love my co workers. I enjoy my job and I feel the managers are fairly easy to work with and get along with.
Fast pace environment
Sales Representative, Sail (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON15 January 2015
A typical day at the clinic started at 8:00 in the morning checking voicemail's and faxes from clients as well as WSIB claims we received that day. I found that I learnt a lot from this clinic because the diversity when I first moved to the Toronto area. I found it difficult to connect with certain staff members because they didn't see me as a co-worker but a day to day co-operative student. This disappointed me because I felt they used their education to their advantage. That is something I found very difficult to work with. The benefit of this job is I chose to better myself in the situation that I am placed into. I become more mature and responsible for my future. The most enjoyable part of my job is learning everything about WSIB and booking appointments. Handling the methods of payment and working hands on with health care professionals was by far the best experience I could ask for.
2 out of 5 stars
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 March 2015
it is an alright place to work. just needs better managers. i did like the job description: working with customers and restocking the product.
Very technical knowledge job with a comfortable work environment.
Clothing and Apparel Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON25 March 2014
A typical day at work would be to arrive 10 minutes early, be on the floor and working 3 minutes prior my shift beginning. My duties were to maintain the department (make merchandise visually appealing and tidy) as well as help customers with any questions they had about our merchandise.

I strengthened many transferable skills such as organization, cleanliness, attention to detail and time management,

My co-workers were an excellent group of energetic people that were always ready to work and inspired me to work harder.

The hardest part of the job would be the lack of tasks to keep workers productive. If no customers were in the store, the employees were expected to be infinitely busy folding/straightening clothes.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the rewarding feeling of helping a customer narrow their search down to a few specific products and find the one tailored to their every need.
Pros
Excellent break room, understanding & reliable management
Cons
Not enough shifts, dry climate inside the building
Nice play to work,
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa23 June 2014
It is a nice place to work however buses don't run to often from north Oshawa to SAIL after 9 pm
Pros
Great Co-workers
Cons
Hours, Distance
New company with lots to offer.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  ontario30 June 2012
great enviroment
look after their staff
customer focused
competitive
Pros
great culture
Cons
long hrs
some of these company reviews ARE NOT for SAIL
n a (Former Employee) –  oshawa7 December 2013
This company is based out of Quebec, Canada. SAIL is an outdoor sporting goods store.
environnment de travail calme
Gérante (Former Employee) –  Beloeil, QC6 December 2015
Environnement de travail calme et stimulant..J'y ai appris a marchansdiser
Pros
rabais employes
Cons
6 jours de travail consecutif
Environnement de travail agréable
Responsable du vêtement (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC31 August 2014
Les gens sont très gentils, personnellement mes collègues de travail sont des collègues en or qui me font sentir bien et appréciée. L'ambiance global est bonne. Une compagnie ou l'on a des opportunités d'apprendre et de monter de grade si l'on veux avec le temps.
Pros
on a des assurances collectives ce qui est très rare dans le commerce du détail
Cons
il y a trop de gestionnaires et ils n'ont pas l'air de savoir sur quel pied danser, les façons de faire changent beaucoup trop souvent, on a jamais de fin de semaine de congé complète pour passer du temps avec notre famille et amis.
environnement de tavail agréable
Assistante-Gérante magasin (Current Employee) –  Québec, QC22 August 2012
Le travail chez Sail est stimulant. Il me challenge chaque jour. Ma journée commence par une tournée du magasin, afin d’évaluer l’ensemble de la mise en marché. Redressé des situations qui sont incorrects. Gestions des e-mails et des différentes demandes de l’ensemble des employés et du bureau chef. Établissement des priorités. Le bureau chef est encore en développement. Beaucoup de points sont oubliés pour la bonne marche des affaires. Mes gérants et employés sont tous de bonnes personnes qui travaillent avec beaucoup de cœur au ventre. Le succès de notre magasin est en partie à cause de l’équipe fantastique qui y travail. L’aspect le plus difficile pour moi est que le superviseur de Montréal n’a pas d’expérience de gérance et il manque de professionnalisme. Il manque souvent de jugement lors de situations au niveau des ressources humaines. Aussi, je trouve difficile de n’avoir jamais de fin de semaine complète.
Je trouve mon travail chez Sail agréable, les clients et les personnes du magasin m’apportent beaucoup. J’ai le sentiment d’être utile.
Cons
pas de weekend complet pour pouvoir avoir une vie plus agréable.