SAIL Employee Reviews

Fun Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON5 April 2017
Productive work environment with successful morals of how to run a business. Fun environment to work in with acceptable salaries and benefits. Great prices and lots of diversity in products!
Great Place to Work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON2 January 2017
As far as part-time jobs go this one is great! Co-workers are incredibly friendly, management is always looking out for you. When you work here you really feel like a part of the team!

As a cashier the hardest part of this job would be getting a hold of another department for knowledge, which can sometimes take a bit of time because they are busy with customers. Other then that its awesome.

Best part of my job would be asking people about their planned trips and adventures and learning about some of the activities our customers do!
Sail is good
Warehouse Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 December 2016
Its Good, fun and exciting people are good management are good, no complaints. Good items and fun items. Understandable and funny.
Fun, safe, workplace, with many intelligible coworkers and a great discount!
Sales Professional - Footwear Department (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON23 August 2016
I have very much enjoyed my time at Sail. I have many likeminded coworkers who all share an interest in the department they happen to be in. Sail employs many that are proficient in excellent customer service, including myself, and that makes for a strong team and enjoyable work environment. While at Sail, I have learned a great deal of information regarding my position in footwear and I have also been given some information from other departments thanks to my coworkers. The most enjoyable parts of this job are definitely the people I have spent the past year getting to know, the customer service I have excelled in, and the discount we are given for working within the company. The hardest part of the job for me personally was the lack of reliability for hours. Working part time, I couldn't always rely on getting a decent amount of hours.
Pros
The Discount
Cons
Terrible Management, high turnover.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 August 2016
Working at SAIL was very interesting. The work environment was a family setting. Team members respected eachother and the atmosphere was overall great.

However, the cashier's manager was very strict, close minded, and rude. She had terrible customer service skills and lacked the ability to have a normal conversation. She didn't care about personal issues when I worked there. She didnt like working with men. She fired most of us and kept all the females (even though they obtain the high numbers males got)

My VIP numbers were the best on the team, yet that didn't matter. I was fired because I didn't "fit in".

They don't care about their employees.
Pros
Friendly team
Cons
Terrible management
Sail is a reliable fun workplace. Great staff to work with, its always enjoyable, but also hardworking employees.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON5 July 2016
On a typical day at Sail, I would stock the floor as well as re merchandise a few aisles. I learned how to become better at visual merchandising as well as I grew my knowledge in the outdoors. The management as well as my co-workers are all reliable and are never afraid to give a helping hand. I find the hardest part of the job is to re merchandise aisle that you do not have a lot of product for. For example, if I had to re merchandise the freeze dried food aisle and there is not a lot of product I would need to spread product out. The downfall is it looks empty. The most enjoyable part of the day is helping customers finding the exact product they need and seeing them walk out the store with a smile on their face.
My time at Sail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan18 May 2016
Pros; Great team at Sail, made a lot of relationships with fellow co-workers. Meeting customers and learning from them or teaching them was a great experience. Discounts/prostaff deals. SOME managers were friendly and sociable. Benefits.

Cons; Some management were not sociable and would constantly lurk around trying to catch you doing something "bad". Sales are pushed hard to a point of tracking what you sell (non commission job). Can be slow on some days so keep busy for 8 hours facing product, or sweeping if no other tasks are needed. Low pay.

Higher management needs to work a month in the sales environment to see all the product they dont carry that people are wanting.
A functional work place with great product knowledge and activities
Sales Associate/Hunting Department (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 April 2016
Work is fast paste, event full and fulfilling. I've never hunted before, and with this job I've learnt how animals work, how to attract them or repel them. I've learnt how to bring my customer service to another leave and to ensure that the customer not only attains what they are looking for but also have an enjoyable time getting what they want. The management at sails is amazing, they take into account everyday life in and out side of work and help to make it mesh well together.
My co-workers have all answered question that I was confused about, and have helped me understand exactly what I am selling.
The hardest part of the job is to make sure that the customers have exactly what they need when they leave. If we don't have it in stalk, we can either order it in or direct them to exactly where they can find it.
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers and learning from them, they all have different experiences and opinions on merchandise.
Pros
a great disciount
Horrible management, will not work around other jobs and the politics are unrealistic.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON8 April 2016
I worked at Sail for a year i loved it at first as i worked in the hunting department and i learned alot from my coworkers. But then i got moved into the warehouse full time and it went down hill. I was constantly working weekends when other coworkers had every weekend off, i was accused of false statements and they never even gave me a chance to explain. I was harrased twice while working here once by a male employee calling me ugly and another time by a coworkers girl friend who threatened to beat me up if i talked to her boyfriend. Neither time was anything done by the company. And to top it off i was fired because i apparently am a racist. Not a good place to work. You get a review once a year and your lucky if you get a 25 cent raise. Its a joke.
Pros
The discount
Cons
The management
SAIL is a fun, positive place of employment.
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON30 March 2016
A typical day at work consists of greeting customers and giving them the best service and product knowledge possible. This involves finding out the needs and desires of our customers through consistent communication, asking questions and inquiring about each background. Because SAIL is such a huge work environment, it is extremely important to know each department and management team as well as product knowledge. It is an outdoor store so advanced knowledge with regard to outdoor living is required.
Although I do have a vast background related to backpacking, camping, hiking, fishing and outdoor activity, I have learned much more during my experience with SAIL. The management as well as the staff are open and honest. We take pride in working with and assisting one another whenever possible. Not only do we work well together within our work environment, we have created a special bond outside of our work lives through our social committee. We believe that communication, trust and empathy are important aspects to maintain our relationships.
Pros
I have a passion for the outdoors, enjoy learning new places, products, meeting new people
Cons
The most challenging aspect of the job are the hours spent on my feet on the concrete floor. However, I have learned to adapt and thrive in the environment.
Productive exciting work place
PART-TIME SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 February 2016
I loved working at the SAIL Outdoor Store and was completely heartbroken when I discovered my employment was seasonal and I was subsequently laid off. Aside from a few individuals, the co-workers and management were friendly and helpful.
Pros
Being in an environment I had a lot of experience with
Cons
Negative manager
Would not recommend for long term or permanent employment
Cashier and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 December 2015
Cons:
In cash and customer service there is little opportunity for advancement or full-time work placement and it also has the highest rate of turnover out of any store department. Information about store policy is at times unclear and not uniformly enforced, and occassional disagreements between different levels of store management result in confusion for staff. Cashiers are limited from learning about outside departments and are not encouraged to participate in seminars that may benefit them from other departments. Cashiers are frequently evaluated by their VIP enrollment, which is somewhat arbitrary.

Pros:
Break room has vending machines and fridges for staff food and there are lockers provided for personal affects. SAIL also supports various charity organizations and hosts enjoyable staff parties. There are free breakfasts at early morning staff meetings/training seminars.
environnment de travail calme
Gérante (Former Employee) –  Beloeil, QC6 December 2015
Environnement de travail calme et stimulant..J'y ai appris a marchansdiser
Pros
rabais employes
Cons
6 jours de travail consecutif
Horrible
Fishing Dept Emoloyee (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON10 November 2015
Managers have no clue what they're doing, at least in the Oshawa store. Fishing manager didn't even know how to tell the size of a reel. Treated employees like garbage. Every store is the same, they don't carry LOCAL species gear. Horrible selection, average prices. Def not a Bass Pro Shops.
Pros
Discount on gear
Cons
Everything else.
Nice people, awful policies.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 November 2015
This job requires employees to be very active and multitask for long hours yet does not give hard working employees 15 minute breaks as a courtesy. They do not makes sures breaks are every 5 hours. For the amount of product an average associate is selling per hour, the fact that they do no provide commission on sales is appalling.

This is not a good job for students because the schedules change often, it is very difficult to get time off and spontaneous "Product Knowledge" nights pop up often, making it hard for students to balance their work and school life.

Sometimes shifts are over 10 hours long but employees are not paid overtime because the "training" hours are paid by the HQ and not from the store budget, so it's as if the employee is working at two different jobs in a day.

The staff is very friendly and the discount is good. Otherwise there is no real benefit to working here for part-timers. They do not respect their employees' availability.
Pros
Discount, Friendly Staff
Cons
Long shifts with no overtime, Does not give 15 minute breaks, Inflexible in scheduling, Does not respect employee availability.
A great place to work!
Merchandiser/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON23 July 2015
There is a very strong sense of team at Sail. Managment staff was always there to listen and help and made me feel valued as a staff member which I beleive is critical in a team environment. Safety standards and cleanliness are a high priority in this compant as well as top nothc customer service. I really enjoyed the customers that ventured into Sail!
Pros
Hour Lunch Break, Great team!
Cons
Far commute for me!
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 June 2015
I work cash and customer service and I occasionally work reception. I enjoy working here because I love my co workers. I enjoy my job and I feel the managers are fairly easy to work with and get along with.
2 out of 5 stars
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 March 2015
it is an alright place to work. just needs better managers. i did like the job description: working with customers and restocking the product.
This was the worst job of my career
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON10 March 2015
Start up 15 mins before shift to get a Rah Rah meeting,,

I learned that management from outside a specialty area doesn;t work

as Mentioned,, just because one was a manager at a box store doesn't mean that they can manage everything
Co workers for the most part was the only benefit,, but there was a lot of High School drama in the place

Never sitting all day,,and for the first while not being allowed hydration, with the exception of city water,

started out good,, 5 months in,, the best part of the day was leaving
Pros
staff discount
Cons
everything else, always cutting hours back, and the low hourly pay, very poor customer service, although customer service was preached
Fast pace environment
Sales Representative, Sail (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON15 January 2015
A typical day at the clinic started at 8:00 in the morning checking voicemail's and faxes from clients as well as WSIB claims we received that day. I found that I learnt a lot from this clinic because the diversity when I first moved to the Toronto area. I found it difficult to connect with certain staff members because they didn't see me as a co-worker but a day to day co-operative student. This disappointed me because I felt they used their education to their advantage. That is something I found very difficult to work with. The benefit of this job is I chose to better myself in the situation that I am placed into. I become more mature and responsible for my future. The most enjoyable part of my job is learning everything about WSIB and booking appointments. Handling the methods of payment and working hands on with health care professionals was by far the best experience I could ask for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SAIL. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8