Safeway Employee Reviews in Canada

productive and fun to work
Fuel Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 16, 2015
Its a good place to work as a start of your career where you can get experience of customer service skills and creates a very good interaction with new and different types people.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
full 8 hours
Hard and Stressful
Assistant Head Meat Cutter (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 16, 2015
Safeway is a great place if you want to progress your career as a meatcutter. However progression is slow. The work is intense and very stressful. expect to be pushed to your limits
Management not very helpful
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fort St. JohnSeptember 12, 2015
Mostly employees working alone no manager working along side.
Sometimes its fun. Usually management gives you like 5 tasks and expects them to be done by the time you're done and they don't give you any assistance.
Pros
Can be fun
Cons
Management Sucks
Great fast-paced environment to work in.
Service Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCSeptember 9, 2015
I enjoyed working at Safeway. The management and my co-workers were very nice. I did not have a problem with anyone there. I became good friends with a lot of my colleagues there.
A typical day at work was always good. It usually was quite in the morning and picked up around lunch time. I usually brought the carts in 3-4 times a day, depending on how busy it was. I always helped bag customer's groceries and helped customer's at the customer service desk. I also did all the garbage at the front of the store every night and took it to the back.
The hardest part of the job was all my responsibilities. I had so many things to do and I was always needed by someone. I was running all over the store trying to do so many things at once.
Even though it was very hard at times, I did enjoy it and I wouldn't have changed anything.

It became different when I decided to become a cashier as well. It brought on more responsibilities for me, but I was also able to do something different than my usual duties.
When I became a full cashier, my hours went down drastically. Sometimes I would only get 8 hours a week. But I knew that would happen when I became a cashier.
Other then the hours, I really enjoyed working there.
Pros
I
childs play at work.
Meat clerk (Former Employee) –  3900 grant aveSeptember 9, 2015
job was not bad but management were on high horses and never did anything if you would talk to them about something, infant they would spread it around fairly childish i would say.
Pros
leaving.
Cons
management
Stressful but financially rewarding
DELI MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Canmore, ABSeptember 8, 2015
Long hours, personal satisfaction of enhanced sales and customer satisfaction, nice benefits, helpful key staff, opportunities for advancement
Benefits
Cons
Lousy life/work balance
Learning expierience
Couritsy Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay , OntarioSeptember 8, 2015
I have learnt to do many new skills like working on a cashier as well as working in a fast pace environment, Looking at things and make sense of them, figure out what makes things work, why there is a problem, Listen/pay attention to what others are saying, without daydreaming or forming judgement about them.
Pros
Discount on store items
This was not great.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  calgary, ABSeptember 4, 2015
It is customer service, you are an object and not a person. Your hard work is rewarded with screaming customers and your poor work is rewarded by screaming managers, you are an object, not a person.
Person in Charge (Current Employee) –  WinnipegSeptember 4, 2015
Enjoy working at Safeway. Very accommodating to my schedule.
Great staff, easy to get along with very friendly. very fast to move up if you work hard
Good people to work with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  130th SE CalgarySeptember 2, 2015
Even we had difficult customers, managers helps us a lot. Very good teamwork.
Co-workers and mangers are all nice people to work with.
FUN PLACE TO WORK ..
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 31, 2015
BLIND IS LEADING HERE ,,, NO S.O.P OR PROPER TRAINING. IF THAT WAS PROVIDED AND MENTORED PROPERLY I WOULD BE WORKING THERE.
Pros
HELPING OUT CUSTOMERS. SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO EXPERIENCE EVERY TIME
Cons
NO PROPER TRAINING OR S.O.P
clean and respectful
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 27, 2015
I worked there for 1 year it was nice while I study, I learned how to deal with different people which the location was very close to a university comps. Very clean job and feel helping other was makes me feel good about myself.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
it was my english
Very enjoyable.
Floral Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 24, 2015
I did all the work that was assigned to me - preparation of flowers, customer service, fruit baskets, cashier, watering plants. I liked my co-workers and management. The hardest part of the job was the amount of knowledge needed to be in this department. There was nothing I disliked about my job.
Pros
Union job
Cons
Competition for job
Good experience while at Canada Safeway
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey BCAugust 21, 2015
The produce section was very well run. Efficiency was maintained in all aspects at all times. My fellow employees and the Produce Manager were a pleasure to work alongside.
Pros
Good company that trains employees well
Cons
Hours initially were sporadic.
Like this job
Front Desk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCAugust 20, 2015
Fun coworkers fun atmosphere! I like the people here and the people like me. Customers are fun too. Just watch out for the shoplifters....theres a lot of them
Great working environment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  EdmontonAugust 14, 2015
A lot of running around doing your own tasks and helping other employees with others whether its watching the customer service desk, cashing, filing out timecards to ensure employees get paid, helping meet customers needs and ensuring they are happy with the service you are providing them.

I learn that it takes hard work to move up in the company, and that you have to prioritize the tasks you are given on a daily basis and ensure they all get completed.

The most enjoyable part of the job has to for sure be interacting with customers and employees on a daily basis.
Pros
Great working with people
Cons
Not enough hours.
Love
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 12, 2015
This was my favourite job so far.
The customers were for the most part really nice and understanding
My boss and co-workers were a blast to work with
They were willing to teach you every part of the job
Taking time was very fair and easy.
Productive space with decent management and lots to do
Baker's assistant (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AlbertaAugust 12, 2015
Great place to work. Had a second job at the time and were very accomodating of that. Sometimes difficult to get hours, lots of employees, and as I was a new employee, hours were given to them before me. So the hierarchical nature of the employee organization made it a bit difficult for me. Shift work meant irregular hours, but that was fine by me, I needed as much work as possible. I was kept very busy, which I enjoyed.
Pros
Regimented, guaranteed breaks, decnt management, great coworkers
Cons
Irregular hours, hours per week not guaranteed
Work at Safeway
Acting Manager and staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB OgdenAugust 6, 2015
Work at Safeway was fun and quite good. I was a valued staff. I would have stayed but needed to help my wife with our baby since she was was going to Nursing school during the day. This was the reason I joined Shoppers first as an overnight pharmacists. The benefits and compensation was quite good.
Pros
Unknown Shopper on the spot check.
Cons
Air miles Tuesday.
great place
Deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BCJuly 31, 2015
great place to work. always liked being busy and the fast paced environment. enjoyed helping customers and general customer service. the hardest part of the job there was the lack of flexibility with my daughter. overall i liked working for the company.