Safeway

4.1K reviews

Safeway Employee Reviews

Day as a Coffee Bar Server.
Coffee Bar Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 5, 2014
My typical shift would start mid-afternoon. I would serve customers for around an hour, then I would restock the coffee bar. I would then clean the coffee bar, then tale a dinner break, then serve customers until closing. The hardest part of my job was dealing with a late night rush. Typically I am preparing for closing, when many people would show up at once. I then had to work quickly to serve them all, then would need to get back to closing. The best part were the people I worked with. If where I work has good people working as well, I would enjoy it.
Positive environment
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 2, 2014
Safeway is a good place to work. Employees are treated well and pay is good.
Co-workers were helpful and fun to work with.
The hardest part of the job was picking orders within the time allowed. It was usually a very exhausting day because you had to keep up a fast pace until you were done all of the orders. Physically and mentally demanding, lots of math and organizing required.
Working in the cold was also difficult.
The most enjoyable part of the job I think was the occasional free lunches and the positive environment.
Pros
good pay
Cons
cold temperature
Fun and enjoyable place to work at.
Service Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 22, 2014
Working in the deli was always busy. I learned to make different kinds of recipes. And developed my social skills, like dealing with new and regular customers. I had the best co-workers at that place. Even the management was very considerate about my pregnancy while i was working there. Hardest part of the job is when you get swarmed by customers and there wasn't enough people working to help you.
Pros
unionized/ good benifits
Cons
it takes few years to get a full time job.
Exciting Retail Company to work for
Payroll Clerk, Invoices, H&S Rep, Floral & Cashier (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABNovember 6, 2013
While working at Safeway I was given the opportunity to learn various positions within the store which then lead to more responsibilites & knowledge of the retail sector. Every day I demonstrated good work ethic & dedication. Management & co-workers have showen me how important it is to work as a team. The hardest part of the job is getting enough scheduled hours & the most enjoyable part is the customers. Safeway is a great place to work for.
Pros
my advancement within the company
Cons
not enough hours
Great place to start your work experience
Sales/ Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 29, 2013
The average day for the past little while started at 4A.M. with ordering products to come in for the next day of work. Then I went and removed any expired product from the shelf and restocked them with new product. I then finished the day with another order.
The management here was great, they were friendly very flexible with my holiday hours and nice all around from upper management to the new managers that are just being trained.
Pros
constant raises, flexible hours
Cons
early starts
Very short staffed and with no regard for cleanliness
Part-time / Casual (Former Employee) –  100 mile houseApril 3, 2015
This work place was never cleaned to a proper standard for food services.
There was a limited time frame in which to complete tasks on the closing shift.
The rate of pay did not warrant the work performance or duties.

On the other hand the employees were a delight to work with and I got along with them all very well, We made our work day enjoyable regardless of the circumstances
Pros
good employees
Cons
Long hours, low pay wage
wish nights were longer
Generalist Clerk (Current Employee) –  Leduc, ABFebruary 3, 2015
I enjoy working nights, there is minimal supervision as the freezer section is my department. I go into work at 11:00 pm work until 7:30 am. I really like my job but am finding that when I get off, I come home watch tv until 3 or 4 in the afternoon. I am currently looking for a day time position to fill my early mornings to early afternoons.
Pros
freedom to get job done
Cons
not long enough need daytime position
Wonderful to work for a company that cares about customers as much as I do.
Cashier/Retail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 11, 2014
I would come in early, just in case I was needed... then then best part would be when my customers would start coming into my line so that I could start making their day as bright and wonderful as I could. I LOVE MY CUSTOMERS!! It made the day go so fast cause the best part was each and every customer that came into my line.
Pros
a very happy place to work
Cons
not being able to regulate my weekly hours---ranged from 8 hrs to 30 hrs
Was a friendly place to work.
Customer Service, Part-time (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 1, 2012
I was responsible for customer service, slicing bread, stocking shelves and closing down the bakery front end.

Customer service skills was the most important ability I learned.

Management was fair.

Co workers were always willing to lend a helping hand and assist you in learning new procedures.

The hardest part of the job was slicing the extra large Italian bread.

The most enjoyable part was anticipating our customers needs/wants and seeing them walk away happy.
Pros
people interaction.
Cons
workig eery weekend
Fun Experience
Cashier/Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 26, 2015
• Upholds and complies with company procedures, standards and policies in all situations
• Greets customers in a polite and friendly manner
• Demonstrates superior customer service in accordance with Safeway’s programs
• Process cash register payments by cash, cheque, credit card, gift card and debit
• Wrap and place merchandise in bags / carts
• Balance and reconcile cash at end of work shift
• Maintain cleanliness of check stands
• Stock various product in check stand area
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
no student scheduling
A great place to work.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 24, 2014
A typical day usually involves working on the cash register. The hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable, is being around lots of different people. I have learnt great communication skills solely for that fact alone. Before this I had never need to communicate with such a large variety of people and I am grateful that I took this job because of that. I also like the people I get to work with, including the store manager. We all work really well with each other.
Pros
a great place to learn people skills
Cons
shift work
Productive and exceptional work place to start out in
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 15, 2015
Safeway was a fun work place to start providing myself with stability, the best part of the job was being able to interact with customers and learn some great customer service skills that will help me out with other jobs. I met some awesome people and enjoyed my time there but I just wanted to explore other options and experience something different.
Pros
Good starting salary
Cons
Shift work, Having to be available on all sundays
The job goes by fast and that makes you feel like you did something productive.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABApril 4, 2015
The hardest part of being a cashier was trying to go as fast as possible without making any mistakes to satisfy the customers. Also while keeping a conversation with the customer.
Pros
Free 15 minute coffee breaks were a bonus
Cons
I'm not a fan on how they schedule. It should be at least one month in advanced, rather than two weeks.
good place to learn new skills and work with good people
Night Crew Manager (Current Employee) –  Madera, CAMay 30, 2013
I have worked there almost two decades now and I have advanced throughout my time invested at Safeway.
I have learned many skills from ordering additional stock - to operating forklifts for store use.
The hardest part of this job would be the lack of hours to complete the daily activities in each department; especially grocery!!!
Pros
great union benefits; medical
Cons
one hour lunches at night
Enjoy working here.
Part-time Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 3, 2012
•Acknowledge customers in Deli Department and always greet them with a smile.
•Prioritize assisting customers over other tasks.
•Making and preparing different in-house salad, salad kit, different dips such as Veggie, Fruit, Spinach and Snacking tray.
•Preparing and cutting different meat/ham/Bolognese/salami.
•Identifying/Scanning price of goods and tabulated bill using cash register.
•Maintaining the cleanliness and safety of the work place.
•Providing customer’s world class service.
First job in Alberta, worked as a supervisor for Distribution Centre
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 12, 2012
Worked during only day shift but rotated around the different warehouses (grocery, produce, dairy, etc...)
Learned lots on how to do proper food handling according to the CFIA
Got along very well with my colleagues and managers
The hardest was working in the produce or frozen food warehouses, very cold to spend 8 hrs straight
No night shifts and discounts on stores.
Pros
employee discounts on stores
Cons
cold work environment in frozen food and produce
Better than Nothing
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 2, 2016
The paychecks don't bounce and the schedules get put up regularly, which is more than I can say for my last job.

The union fees puts your pay below minimum wage...for nothing exactly apparent in benefits.

Managers intentionally schedule you to give you as few hours as possible and leave the store understaffed. You'll never get enough hours to qualify for any of the benefits, except maybe in summer.
Pros
Paid Breaks
Cons
Limited Hours, High Union Fees
Tedious, brainless work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 7, 2015
Every day is the same. You get on a till, you must endure tens of snobby customers daily just to be yelled at by the supervisor at the end of the day. Co-workers are generally alright, however, the management is awful and disorganized. Smiling for six hours and pretending to be genuinely interested in a customer's life is definitely that hardest part. The most enjoyable part is going home.
Pros
Union
Cons
No benefits for part-time employees
Great union job with good people. Loved helping the charities.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 25, 2014
Duties:
 Memorize product and grocery codes
 Maintained knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges and security practices.
 Maintain till and cash
 Completed all cleaning, stocking and organizing tasks in assigned sales area.
 Built relationships with customers to increase likelihood of repeat business.
Pros
repeat customers were wonderful, helped charities, and union benefits.
Cons
can be stoic, depending on location can be slow and fewer shifts.
not a bad work place, but not the job for me
Cashier/ Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  winnipeg, manitobaJuly 22, 2012
Typical day at work: Scan & bag items, Bring in carts, basic maintenance, cash management.

Learned: Customer service, using an advanced till, interact transaction.

Management: Very well ran

Co-workers: some not very friendly and some super friendly

Hardest part: building a rapport with customers

Most Enjoyable: meeting new people
Pros
above minimum wage pay
Cons
lack of hours