Safeway Employee Reviews

safeway
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  2325 preston ave7 August 2016
I liked that I knew what was expected of me by the end of my shift but I could use my discretion on how to make sure it all got done. The hardest part is when everything was done and no customers were shopping because it was too quiet. I liked everybody that worked there, they seemed liked they cared about me if I was sick or not feeling well. I enjoyed being around the people and I was relieved when I got all the tasks done before my shifts ended.
Pros
close to home
Cons
not enough hours
Awesome
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC5 August 2016
Fun job, got to meet lots of new people. this job helped me stay busy

management was very kind and helped me out when i needed it

the hardest part of the job was being in the heat all day long

I enjoyed dealing with fruit
Pros
free lunches
Great overall!
Registered Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Frances, ON2 August 2016
I am truly sad to be leaving the Safeway family. Relocating to Southern Ontario, I could not transfer to another Safeway. Awesome atmosphere, great communication between management and staff, amazing benefits.
Department manager was an amazing man who really cared for his staff and brought out the best in everyone. Great motivator and made sure to follow through with requests and policies.
Pros
Family situation oriented
Very friendly environment
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 August 2016
Great place to work but the hours are not enough. A typical day is steady , I've learned how to deal with people more,work as a team mate,I've learned to focus more on the customers less on the staff from management.
Pros
Union benefit
Cons
Short hrs
Productive place to work, many longterm employees
Senior Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 August 2016
Various shifts available, mine allowed me to head out of the office mid afternoon.
I enjoyed multi-tasking the various claims assigned to me.
I was able to increase my knowledge portfolio to include pharmacy losses and transportation losses.
Pros
Early start to the day
Cons
Short lunch breaks
staff is very helpful and friendly
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 July 2016
A typical day at work consisted of counting the self serve products in the bakery and recording the numbers in the book provided by the manager. Tagging products 50% off as needed according to the dates. Fill the self serve. All this needs to be done before the store opens at 8am. After that a bread order must be done before 9am. Then the bread wall must be filled and any special orders must be ready to go. finally a list is made and the frozen treats are taken out of the freezer and stocked on the shelves. If im the last one in the bakery i must make sure everything is packaged and the bakery freezers like the cake displays are working properly by taking temperatures, the bakery is clean and the ovens are off.
Pros
everyone is a team player
Cons
hard to take a break
Productive, Efficient, Great Work Environment
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB20 July 2016
Great part time job with awesome management. Co-Workers get along well, all work as a team to accomplish joint tasks.
Pros
Flexible, Co-operative Boss, Great Supervisors
Always productive and a great place to work especially with the kind of people there
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 July 2016
I learned a lot working here. I obtained many different skills especially people skills and working with a many different people. The job was never too difficult but of course it had its challenges. Management was excellent other than the fact that you couldn't gain more hours on your schedule.
Pros
good benefits and great people
Cons
not felxible for changes in schedule
Just fun for people of they're on country
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2016
There is no chance to work for this company, specially when is running by people from India or Pakistan they only hire people from their country. Specially Saddle Ridge Location at Calgary AB.
I had bad experience when I applied there, and as a customer I notices the lack of customer service skills.
Pros
Lucky people who already have a job with good benefits
Cons
People with out consideration
Safeway
Cook (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC16 July 2016
I found working at Safeway a very fun and interesting environment. The people I worked with were greta and so was management
stressful place to work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON13 July 2016
A co-worker made me do all the work while she was cutting up her fruits, while i was doing my part of the job. She made me clean her dishes and whatever she used after her shift. Then after her shift I told her off, that i was stressed out, so she did it again later on. SUCKED!
Pros
nice people
Cons
lots of work
Canada Safeway Ltd.
Cashier/ floral/ bakery (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 July 2016
I enjoyed meeting the public and solving their concerns about day to day purchased and dilemas about products at Safeway. Moverover, I enjoyed the Team work environment established at Safeway and the team I worked with.
Pros
Perks such as gift cards, lunches and verbal feedback.
Cons
The only objection I had with Safeway was the lack of hours.
Good place to be with good coworkers.
Gas Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 July 2016
A nice place to be. Not much advancement where I was but I like dealing with customers & the hours were good. Working for the company was good. Ok Managment.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Problem Customers
Enjoyable woking conditions
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Frances, ON12 July 2016
Safeway was a good place to work. It had a lot of in-house training dealing with the job. Co-workers were easy to get along with and were helpful with job training.
Pros
Co-workers, training, using different equipment
Fast-paced, energetic, challenging
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 July 2016
In my time at Safeway I have found the atmosphere to be one that I have thrived in. The energetic and fast-paced daily business has challenged me and brought out many of my best traits.
hard place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 July 2016
I was Cashier. Lot of product numbers. Some managers were hard to talk to. Co-workers were great. The hardest part was memorizing the produce and bakery codes. I enjoyed working with the puplic.
its ok
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  100, 5005 Dalhousie Dr NW7 July 2016
the work is fine and pretty easy but the work environment is not great. a lot of the employees are nice but do not give you any respect as a Courtesy Clerk.
not enough staff
Starbucks Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 June 2016
I enjoyed working there but we were always short staffed and no one wanting to take extra shifts. Did not always get breaks because of how short staffed and heavy lifting.
Pros
enjoyed the customers
Cons
short staffed
positive work experience
Delicatessen/Meat Cutter/Seafood Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  new westminister24 June 2016
It's a great place to work and gives great work experience. Great atmosphere suitable for learning and positivity and all areas.
great workplace with SOME hardworking staff who were kind and knowledgable about the job and were very helpful
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC23 June 2016
a typical day at Safeway for me involves assisting costumers find items on the shelves (i memorized where everything is) carrying groceries out to their cars, cleaning bad messes in the store and in the parking-lot, dealing with the occasional thief or drunkard. we had alot of older customers i would walk them out to their cars and help them find there keys. on days when there is alot of backstock or a large orders i would help work the stock to the shelf and then organize the backstock.
Pros
.free lunches when you helped with volunteer work or store promotions.
Cons
drama, small break room, lack of privacy, lazy assistant managers, lack of staff, my food would be stolen from the fridge.