Safeway Employee Reviews in Canada

Enjoyed working with amazing people.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BCDecember 30, 2015
I have been with the company for over 14 years. I came to call these people family. We always helped one another. Sad to see that we were split up but will never be forgotten
Pros
Paid days off, paid sick days
Cons
Closing of all vancouver island stores
Fast paced
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 27, 2015
I learned how to make fruit and veggie trays. My co-workers were very nice. The hardest would be to close down the deli by yourself. The best part would be the customers.
Pros
free lunch
Nice place to work
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 14, 2015
Meat cutting is an excellent job if you can make it work.shifts range from early morning to just before lunch to start and end usually around the 7:30 pm area.
Cleanliness is important as is being nice to customers
Pros
Unionized and good working conditions
Cons
poor pay and job prospects
friendly environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 30, 2015
My co-workers and management are so friendly and we work like a family. My day ends so fast everyday talking with customers and serve them good service. i learned so many cultures n nautre of another countries people. the hardest part of job when its not busy n we have to stand just look around and wait for a customer. the most enjoyable part of the job is talking to customers n they are so friendly.
Pros
positive, multitasking
Cons
no cons
Competitive starting wage with a workers union
Barista (Former Employee) –  Sherwood, ABNovember 27, 2015
Challenging at first but everyone is willing to help you learn and get comfortable with the workplace.
As a Starbuck's Barista working at Safeway, especially in slower locations, it is incredibly energy draining. Not because it's busy, but because you must stand around for hours just brewing and dumping coffee every 15 minutes. Due to health regulations, you are not allowed to have any personal items behind the count of the kiosk. Items include cellphones and other smart devices, books, and personal documents. This means a student may not read his books/study/do homework during the slow hours of the day. You are also not permitted to leave your workstation (the kiosk) without reason. Be expected to stand for 6-8 hours doing literally nothing. They do not hire directly into full-time, so there are no grocery benefits. and because it is not a corporate Starbucks's location, no benefits are given to barista's, full time or not.
On the bright side, all staff including part timers are required to join the worker's union UFCW. With standard benefits such as ADB.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
No benefits whatsoever for part-time employees
enjoyable (former employee)
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 26, 2015
What we did packed baked goods listen to gossip helped customers learned to write on cakes and cleaned the store. Good management for the most. Would go back again just not in the bakery
good working environment
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, ABNovember 25, 2015
working at safeway was fun, however they do not hire full time if i could i would apply again in a minute. great management
Pros
greatwork place
Cons
lack of hours
Excellent work environment that prompot productivity and teamwork.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  West Vancouver, BCNovember 17, 2015
Outstanding culture with excellent management, that encourages employees, and maintain a friendly and creative work culture. Its a participation style management where employees are allowed to take initiative in accomplishing tasks and helping customers.
Slow and uneventful
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chestermere, ABNovember 16, 2015
Very repetitive job with nothing to do.
I felt under appreciated and management was always condescending towards me.
The job consisted of gathering grocery carts, sweeping the floor, and bagging groceries during the rush.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Long days, boring work, very unfreindly
great work environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MBNovember 16, 2015
loved working at safeway. Enjoyed all my fellow co-workers time and effort. only wished they had more hours for me to be able to stay.
Pros
familly days.
Cons
not enough hours
Great place for a first job.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCNovember 16, 2015
Overal, Safeway is a wonderful place for your first job. A typical day at work is like any other day, you have your good day's and you have your bad. I've learned that you're not always right, most of the time it's the machines mess up and not the customers cards. My co-workers are wonderful people to be around, they're always there to listen to your stories, and they really make your work ethic much better each time. The hardest part about the job is when you're very low on staff sometimes, and there's not a whole lot of people to handle the job correctly and you're left running around way too much. Best part about my job is getting to chat with strangers about their days, and getting to know your regular customers that come through your cashier till all the time. You get to meet new people among your co-workers and just expierence a great time.
Pros
great people, customers are loyal, managment is on point
Cons
open until midnight, long shifts for part time
Fun easy work place, a little high strung
floral (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 12, 2015
Colleagues were nice, very supportive, not very resourceful, I was never bored, always something to do, never heard anything rude said about anyone (customers included) overall a great place to work or shop.
Good place to work.
Meat Wrapper Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 7, 2015
Have been really enjoying working in the Meat Department in Safeway and would like to continue working in the Meat Industry.
A good place to work
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCNovember 7, 2015
Fun place to work, always learning something new. A lot of knowledge gained in the years I worked there. Flexibility was a plus. I realised I wanted more for my life then just a retail career.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Hours of shifts
The toxic culture was too much for me
Class 1 driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 5, 2015
You punch in, get your paper work and keys, get your truck, hook up to a trailer and deliver the skids to the various stores in Calgary and the surrounding area. Usually a driver will do a 2-4 trailers a night. Most of the shifts are afternoons, 4pm until 1am.
The work is generally clean, most stores have power jacks and most stores have great people whom you get to know and like. The driving is generally local and there are postings for out of town and over night runs but it takes time to get those postings. Its generally 5 days on and 2 off, some get 4 on and 3 off.
I found the work generally mundane and that I was under utilized. Its a pretty good gig if you don't want a challenge, to advance or work hard. The union contract pays time and a half after 8 hrs, double after 10 and double on call ins. Over time and call ins are very rare in an effort to slash expenses.
The management was challenging to work with. I don't think they have much education or training, a lot of people worked up from entry level jobs and scored the opportunity by being at the right place at the right time. They are great people if they like you. However I have had the chance to work with well educated industry leaders and I feel there is a lot left to be desired in this aspect of the company.
The co-workers are mainly senior citizens, close to retirement. I had the chance to meet many good people and make a few good friends too. There are some fantastic guys there and some not so fantastic. The median age is probably around 50. I think there were 3 guys under 40. About 30-40+
  more... guys over 40. So a good place for older, near retirement age people. I felt my co-workers and management were generally condescending towards me.
The most difficult parts of the job are the toxic culture and office politics. As well as unspecified goals and no positive feedback. Its generally a very negative place and the city drivers are treated terribly. Its never good enough, fast enough, smart enough. Yet there are no specific targets or objectives for people to reach for. There is no incentive structure here either. I've found most successful companies have at least some kind of incentive and post some objectives clearly. Not here.
The most enjoyable parts of the job were the steady and predictable hours. Everyone gets paid for the hours that they work which is only fair as some companies try to play games with drivers pay. I enjoyed being busy as it made the shifts go fast and getting to talk to people at the stores or at the warehouses. Being isolated as a long haul highway driver can be difficult so having some social interaction was good.
The company, in my own opinion, is at a cross roads. Its been bought up by Sobeys and they are looking at out sourcing the transportation unit to a third party, most likely Canada Cartage. The future looks very unsure to say the least.
Pros
Guarateed hours, dental, medical, pension, union
Cons
Weak management, toxic culture, bleak outlook, poor treatment of newer drivers
Fun and productive workplace
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABNovember 4, 2015
I learned how to interact with customers and to serve their needs. I love helping customers in times of need. I am a people person. And it was always challenging because there was always something new I would be doing. New task, new customer.
Productive and interesting workplace, nice co-workers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKNovember 2, 2015
It's a good place to work with nice co-workers. Very helpful employees when it comes to training and teaching people ways to understand different codes and how to use the machines. The only problem was scheduling and shifts, the schedules would conflict on days where I wrote I am unable to work or completely unavailable.
Pros
Good shifts
Cons
Disorganized schedules
Ability to learn
Seafood/Meat Counter Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 2, 2015
This was a good place to learn different cuts of meat, information regarding fish, and learning new skills (filleting salmon).
It was also great place to work during school, as they were able to work around my school schedule and provide extra hours when possible.
Supportive management when I fractured my knee, as well as supportive coworkers when questions arose.
Pros
Flexible in hours for school
Cons
Weekly pay, harder to budget
A good employer for inexperienced workers
Payroll/scheduling clerk (Former Employee) –  Mission, BCNovember 1, 2015
Safeway is a good place for a new worker who would like to learn about the retail sector. Union job with high job security and good advancement for those with the drive and initiative. Pay starts off low but does eventually provide a living wage. Hours start off low as well but as your seniority rises your hours maximize eventually. Best to start when a student or to have management goals quickly
Pros
Good job security
Cons
low pay and hours at first
Fun place to work if you like to meet new people.
Caissière / Service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 27, 2015
I was a cashier and I absolutely loved my job , I loved to help other employees and customers . I am friendly so being a cashier is a great job for me . I had many friends .
There was no real hardship to the job
I met a lot of interesting people and had other opportunities because of my job.
Pros
lots of good food around, polite customers
Cons
rude customers