Safeway Employee Reviews

good job. keeps you busy.
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC11 October 2016
Typical day at work was setting up display and preparing self serve cases and cleaning. Helping customers and being good with customer service is essential. the people at this particular store in the seafood / meat department are top notch, quality people to work with. about an hour before close you take down display and sweep, mop the area and clean and sanitize. Never needing to work passed 6pm was very pleasing for work / life balance.
Pros
You get a paid coffee break every 2 hours of work. Union job.
Cons
Dull. Can be boring if you're used to outdoors, adventurous work.
Hurray for Safeway
Baker (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC8 October 2016
The Safeway Bakery its a great place to learn for all coming upstarts that want a career with Safeway or in the Bakery Field. Great Environment, great staff would recommend.
good place to work enjoyed the job
Meat Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 October 2016
I learned to package and store meat items. cut and do minor butchering cleaning and sanitizing of meat saws tables slicing machines.
Pros
good team of coworkers
good environment
Cashier/Server (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 October 2016
My coworkers were very nice and helpful I loved contributing to new ideas and helping out with file management. The managers were very kind and helpful people
Cashier/Checker
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
I really like meeting new people but I would say the hardest part is memorizing all the produce codes (but still trying to memorize) and the rude customers but I kept smiling and tried to maintain calm as much as possible. My old Safeway job at deli clerk didn't send my deli clerk training money to my bank account. I love this cashier job right now though
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Standing too long
productive
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
As a cashier, whenever there used to be long lines up, all the employees were ready to help including managers. it was always a team work spirit.

I was even transferred to safeway Starbucks, on request asi wanted to experence a different division.
Pros
we celebrated any occasions with joint treats from the management & employees
Cons
there was no long hrs
`Safeway
Deli Worker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB2 October 2016
the managment at safeway was questionable but i apreciated the cash and everything i learned from customer service and from the assosiations i made
Fast working environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 September 2016
It was a great first job learning experience for me, ad I'm excited to move forward with another job opportunity. I would recommend this job to anyone who is looking for their first job and need experience.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
not long lunch break
Good Work Place
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC21 September 2016
I loved my job at Safeway. What I did not like is the fact that I had a very unprofessional department manager who made working at this particular location very difficult. The job itself was very enjoyable.
Good environment, friendly staff, gave guaranteed hours, acomadated school and summer holidays.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB15 September 2016
A typical day at work consist of looking at our production shelf and determining what needs to be filled or if I'm on pizza duty, I would be checking to see what pizza's need to be filled as well. In the deli department, I interact with customers on a daily basis; whether it's weighing sandwich meat, serving salad, or making a sandwich for the customer.
Pros
Regular hours
Cons
Don't really have one, just would like to try something new
Great Job
manager- Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 September 2016
great company to work. I was trained very well by my mentor. Great benefits and and flexible working hours. Worked there for 2 years, but now its time to move on.
Gained experience and excellent costumer service.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 September 2016
In my present job, i learned how to be responsible and extremely reliable. My costumer service skills improved and I connected with my costumers and realized how important it is to engage with every one, so they feel welcome and make them want to come back.
I grew an excellent friendship with my co-workers and supervisor, always was treated fair and welcome. It was always a fun day working with them all at once, but there is days where i work alone and have to work a lot more harder without help, but it wouldn't stop me from getting the job done. In a day of a shift is constantly standing, rushing and creating a great presentation. occasionally lifting, pulling and pushing. Definitely a fast paced environment which i didn't mind at all.
Pros
Buying the product i made and started eating healither
Cons
short shifts and low income
Safeway
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB10 September 2016
Learned how to work efficietly with others, quality work and responsibility.
Learned some customer service skills if i was ever asked a question
Learned to keep a clean, stress free work environment.
There was no hard parts about the job.
Used those electronic stock guns
everyone i workedwith was nice
Pros
Walk to work, flexible hours, nice people.
Productive workplace where all employees looked after each other and were friends
Cashier, Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB10 September 2016
A typical day at work started with greeting customers and helping them find what they needed to find. I learned that hard work and dedication can get you a long way. The management at this establishment was really friendly and always encouraged you too do your best. My co-workers were extremely serviceable they always tried their hardest to please the customers. The hardest part of the job was not being able to satisfy the customers needs. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping out customers fill their needs and seeing them leave happy.
Pros
Fun environment to work in
Cons
short hours
A good company to start a professional career
Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB6 September 2016
I enjoy working knowing i am with good people around and i find it very rewarding to meet customers and assist them with satisfaction.The Management i work with are all team player, very compassionate and professional individuals. Treatment was fair and judgment on all cases are based on facts and governed by policies. The hardest part of my work is when employee/s assigned to work suddenly don't come to work and we have to work for their work or injure too much lifting and bending as things has to be done right away.
Pros
great compensation package governed by Union policies
Cons
too much lifitngs and bendings
Continued learning with productivity
Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB6 September 2016
Current work is more physically demanding. Quite strenuous considering the nature of the business. I enjoy working with several employees and find it more interesting to be acquainted with different people. I end my day knowing at least that i get to serve our customers with satisfaction and leave my work with a SMILE just as when i got started.
Pros
Unionized company with good benefits
Cons
too much liftings and bendings
Good
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2016
Doing the same work every day is a boring routine. It was a monotonous and laborious job which does not need any creativity. Working hours were irregular.
great place to work..
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB3 September 2016
a good company and great people around.store managers are very approchable and they offer a good benefits for the workers..they have a clean workplace
Worst experience of my life; don't work here!
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 September 2016
Pros:

-Coworkers are generally pretty nice and helpful. They are what makes the job bearable.

-Most customers are kind people and the really friendly ones can make your day. It's nice to have people genuinely smile at you.

-It's unionized.

-Always hiring, even in the bad economy. They will literally take anyone. If you're in dire straits, then you can work for minimum wage and not freeze to death while you wait for even McDonalds or Walmart to give you a call.

Cons:
Where to begin... long rant ahead.

-Training was awful. They sent me to a store 20km away from the store I was to be employed at, which was ridiculous. The trainer was a nasty sexiest woman who took pleasure in knocking people down and then kicking them while they were down there. She only critiqued women who were training (particularly overweight women) and either ignored questions or got angry when you did ask. She wanted people to jump in with only a minute or two maximum of instruction, but if people made mistakes, she chewed them out. All-in-all, it was a miserable experience to be involved in. There were times I felt like throwing my uniform in the trash and quitting in a fantastical manner and this was only the first week. It got worse from here.
--You get treated much the same in your store (although your supervisor is unlikely to be as bad as the cruel egomaniacs that they have who do the training), only you're expected to do much more without ever asking for guidance.

-They expect you to know everything very early on (think within ten minutes of your first training day) and to not
  more... make any mistakes or inconvenience people by asking for assistance, particularly one-on-one assistance.

-They tell you to ask questions when you need help, but often times they ignore you.

-You work on your own very early on which is incredibly stressful

-The pay is terrible, there are no benefits, and the hours are really long.

-It hurts to be on your feet all day.

-Company rules and policies about things like earrings and other piercings, tattoos, hair colour, scruff and beards, social media, etc. are ridiculous and outdated. Having to believe in the brand without ever critically discussing it is incredibly wrong. No wonder safeway is losing tons of customers to Walmart.

-The store and breakroom are outdated; the lockers are all busted (and thus there are no safe places to store valuables), there are no windows, the chairs are uncomfortable, small and crowded fridge, etc.

-Management uses secret shoppers which is a really nasty thing to do, particularly to new employees who are just learning. I've seen people sobbing in the washroom from this treatment. It sucks to tell them about this practice that the company denies but clearly does. Most of these people quit within a month which results in extremely high rates of turnover and resulted in even more stress.

-Mean customers who act like you exist to wait on them hand, foot, and finger. Thankfully this is rare; you might get one person like this out of fifty during an eight hour shift.

-The store is dirty; greasy floors in the deli area (so bad that I almost slipped even with brand new non-skid shoes with grip tape on them) with tons of garbage on them and on the counters. Handwashing and proper glove procedure is rarely enforced and when you inadvertently make a hygiene mistake (which could have been prevented with proper reinforcement early on) that someone notices, they will be harsh in their treatment of you, be it a know-it-all customer or lazy supervisors who pick that one moment to humiliate you in front of others.

-They throw out a ton of food and keep the ovens on 24/7 which is terrible for the environment. No matter what I said, they were never willing to look at alternatives.

-Things were very disorganized. The clock in machine rejected people half the time, the schedule varied like crazy, there were always either too many or too few people working. There were never enough medium and large sized gloves. Breaks tended to be at random times and varied from shift to shift. Always tons of turnover which makes keeping up hard. Can't see the labels on the products which means that people who don't or can't memorize what products look like constantly have to ask customers for help which can be very annoying for them.

-This is petty, but the uniform is ugly and uncomfortable. I got a rash from where the seam rubbed my shoulder.
Safeway is my learning school.
Frontend Cashier and Grocery clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 August 2016
Well, I don't have any bad experience but ya there were some hectic days when i was getting tired before my shift, though it was a good learning experience. I was working as a grocery clerk and I have leant how to put groceries that it looks good and properly arranged. How we order our groceries and how we decide the price and discounts. We change every end t the end of the month so it is long process.
The most enjoyable part of the job is my collegues. They teach me everything. They are always there for me to solve my problems, my doubts and the atmosphere of the work-place.
Pros
Have been learning about team work at work-place
Cons
Not really