Safeway Employee Reviews

Fun work place with lots of interactions
Deli (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABApril 4, 2016
The job was fun with lots of costumer interactions. The co-workers came from different family types with lots of story's to tell. The most enjoyable part of the day was getting to find out what new meats were coming out.
Pros
short shifts
Cons
too little hours
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 2, 2016
Provided customers the best shopping experience. One of the best teams in the industry to enhance one's skill set and advance career as it's the great place to be.
Pros
Cons
Less work hours as part time
Can be challenging working with the public.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 1, 2016
Flexible hours that worked around family life. Easy going customers for the most part, but learned a lot about customer service while there for the past 18 years. Fun atmosphere at times. hard to stand in one place at times, and the items can get heavy, (case lot sales).
Management was terrible
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stony Plain, ABMarch 30, 2016
I felt that the management took a lot more breaks then was allowed. They went outside to smoke a lot on every break they took. It seemed like they took about 5 breaks per shift. Completely unfair and stuck up management.
Pros
Getting paid was pretty much the only good thing about working there.
Cons
Poor management, some very disrespectful customers, stuck up managers
nice people to work with
deli (Former Employee) –  fort st johnMarch 30, 2016
was a great job great people the job itself just wasn't for me i enjoyed talking with the people and the staff i worked with
Productive, Fast Paced Environment
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONMarch 22, 2016
Great place to work, people are friendly. Learning is never ending, as we're expected to learn qujckly and be self sufficient.
Hardest part of the job is the after hours work schedule.
Most enjoyable is interacting with the public on a continual basis! :)
Pros
Variety of duties to keep you on your toes
Cons
Early mornings and After 5pm shifts
Team-like workplace, working with many different people with different skill sets. Theres much to be learned as a Safeway Deli Clerk.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 18, 2016
A typical day at work would be, you punch in and you're already dressed in the Deli Clerk attire. You say hello to your fellow workers, wash your hands and put on your plastic gloves. Right away you serve any customers that are tending to your service and fulfill any tasks that need to be completed within your shift. Its a long, busy but productive day filled with constant work; serving, cooking, cleaning, and keeping record of everything.

I learned many things at Safeway, how to manage a workplace, to be sanitary in a workplace and to really master the art of customer service. You learn how to work with other people, younger and older, and I was actually the youngest person working in the entire Safeway. I learnt how to record all of the prices, price tags, food, and sales counts and how to prepare different types of food. Service, sanitation, and team work are the 3 main subjects you deal with as a Safeway Deli clerk. Most of my co-workers were very kind, some were grumpy and they had their ups and downs like anyone else but at the end of the day you are there to work together as a team and learn to deal with each other and act like grown up adults.

Without a doubt, the most difficult part of my job was memorizing hundreds of different codes for the food especially the salamis, and the salads. Also, having to wash and use, and re-wash materials got extremely repetitive and tiring but it was part of my job so I did it like anyone else. Ultimately, the most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the smiles on the faces of customers and
  more... the fact that they went home with what they wanted and carried a sense of satisfaction with them.  less
Pros
very kind people and getting to work with customers.
Cons
exhausting work and little training.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABMarch 15, 2016
I enjoyed working at Safeway. I got along with my co workers. The management was good. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers.
Challenging and rewarding
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 14, 2016
Rewarding and fulfilling place to work. I have enjoyed the people I have worked with. We have saw many changes as a company and have enjoyed learning new skills.
Pros
challenging
Cons
Shift work
Was not what I was looking for.
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMarch 13, 2016
I met a few good people. I learned a lot about myself and about retail. It is time to experience something new now.

I am aiming to take what I learned from my time at Safeway to better myself.
Fun workplace
Starbucks Coffee Barista (Current Employee) –  200 Stewart Green SW, Calgary, AlbertaMarch 6, 2016
I enjoy working at Safeway Starbucks as a barista. I try to stay positive and listen to the customers first and suggest healthy menus.
Pros
Flexible schedule
very productive with great co workers.
Cashier/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMarch 3, 2016
When i worked for Safeway in Surrey BC, i had a great time working along side my co workers. I learned different cultures and got to know usual customers and their needs.
Enjoy working while get positive comments
deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 1, 2016
helpful management sometimes, co-worker provide helpful tips, customers are happy with my service. Now working at safeway very stressful. We cannot help customers as soon as possible. Because there are not enough employees to help them.
Pros
good benefit programm
Cons
stressful job
Fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMarch 1, 2016
I enjoyed dealing with the public! I would always try and make sure the customer's were happy, and found everything they were looking for.
Was alright despite all the drama
Supervisor, File Maintenance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 29, 2016
it was okay, most customers were nice and co-workers nice most of the time. not too hard of work. a typical day at work was to get ready and serve customers for up to 20 hours a week.
Great Pharmacy Environment
Retail Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 27, 2016
Excellent place to get started in the retail pharmacy career path. Pharmacists, technicians, and assistants all worked cohesively to ensure the best possible outcome in patient care.

The most enjoyable part of my job was coming in to work and knowing that something as simple as mixing a child's antibiotics could make a difference.
Pros
Excellent training, good atmosphere
Cons
Union controlled
Constantly changing hours
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 26, 2016
My biggest gripe with the deli management was that they often changed the schedule without notice, and often within 2-3 days of the shift that was changing. Since they have no way to view the schedule online, they wanted me to come into work as many times as possible simply to check the schedule. Another thing is that I saw many people get fired a few days before their probation period of 3 months was up.

I usually worked the night shift (3:30 - midnight), and sometimes I stayed an hour longer to get everything done. The management insisted on me clocking out on time, even if I was to work later because of unfinished things.

The night shift has another perk; you are left on your own from 9:00 until midnight, meaning I often did not have a chance to take my 15 and 30 minute breaks.

If you work a night shift on a day where one of the employees working before you isn't all that competent, you'll get left with all their work. The management expects everything to be done by you, no matter what, even if you have to pick up other people's slack and work an extra hour without pay.

Something else I forgot to mention is that if you do not have time to take your 30 minute break (which is unpaid, so you have to clock out) they will want you to clock out, even if you are working.

I found that since there were already too few people to finish all the things required, the workers would almost always sacrifice cleanliness. Despite there being signs everywhere that read "clean every 4 hours", they would usually only get cleaned once or twice a day.

When you did get a chance
  more... to have a break, they had free stale doughnuts from the bakery.  less
Pros
free doughnuts, nice staff
Cons
terrible management, overworking you, and changing the schedule without notice.
good beginner Job
Deli assistant (Former Employee) –  Trail, BCFebruary 18, 2016
not an ideal job for a long term job
job cannot support a life as in paying rent for a house cause you do not make enough but you do learn a lot and get to use your people skills or work on them
very fun job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 18, 2016
I loved working in the Deli department at Safeway. I learned how to make many different salads, and pasta salads. I learned how to slice lunch meats and eventually knew how many slices equaled so much grams. I learned a lot about food safety and keeping things clean and sanitized. My co-workers were older and very particular, but were wonderful ladies to work with. The hardest part of working in the deli, was learning how to safely clean the meat slicer and cooking the whole chickens, as well as remembering all the codes to the products. The best part was learning how to make the Salads and prepping the display case
Pros
great hours and benifits
Cons
lots of work
Productive and fun place to work
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABFebruary 14, 2016
Always looked forward going to work. Learned more skills here. My co-workers were enjoyable. Had good managers of the store.
Pros
Having a boss that cared about his employees