Safeway Employee Reviews

Loved my job but did not like the new management
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 June 2017
Loved my job but did not like the new management. Loved that I had lots of work to do and was kept very busy. My co-workers in bakery were great and we all worked very well as a team.
Pros
Gave me different jobs to do so it wasn't boring
Cons
New management from Sobeys buyout not caring about employees. Talked down to us.
GReat
Deli production clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 June 2017
everu one is respectable i enjioyed it a lot. I learnt time management very diverse people of various cultures. Lifting and late night. The coupons for emploess.
Good job but not enough hours
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC2 June 2017
The job was interesting and good people worked there. However it was very difficult to get more hours. a typical week was only 12 hours of work. They did give regular pay raises although they were not very large
meh
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB31 May 2017
It was a pretty okay place to work. There really isn't much to say, i'm literally just filling this out because the site requires it. So I hope you enjoyed wasting your time reading this.
Good people, bad pay
Produce Clerk, Grocery Clerk, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 May 2017
Safeway is a good place to work part time for high school students or younger, but the pay starts way too low for anyone older with bills or school to pay for. You start off with low hours and it takes years to become full time. The best part is meeting and working with lots of different people.
Pros
Meet lots of people
Cons
Low pay, high work
fun workplace being deli-clerk at safeway
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Canmore, AB29 May 2017
My typical day at work included making sandwiches, cleaning the area, and selling products to customers. I had used the cash register due to having cashier experience. I learned how to test water and other substances required to clean with. Management was great! The hardest part of the job was just standing all through shifts, i am an active person so it was not THAT hard.most enjoyable apart of the job was meeting new customers daily fro mall around the world.
the best training I've ever had!
Pharmacy Assistant Trainee (Former Employee) –  North Edmonton, AB29 May 2017
busy but enjoyable is a typical day at work, learned a lot from co-workers as a trainee, everybody is nice from the manager to co-workers, co-workers were supportive and patient with a trainee like me.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
far from where i live
It's okay.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 May 2017
Working with Safeway was amazing... until Sobeys bought it out. I had 8 hours a day, 40+ hours a week, benefits, and there was a raise every 500 hours worked and I was part time. Now (still working part time) I only have up to 7.5 hours a day, less than 28 hours a week. No benefits and I do not get the raise every 500 hours because I cannot put in enough hours.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
No discounts, benefits, and no working longer than 7.5 hours a day.
Some nice staff but faltering communication in front end
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alberta22 May 2017
A typical workday would vary from decent to stressing very quickly; with staff at front end who have poor communication skills and are seemingly arrogant. These statistics have been made from my experience working at Safeway but on recent accounts from my friend who also worked at a Safeway claimed the exact same issues.
Pros
OK Management
Cons
Hostile staff
Fun workplace atmospher
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 May 2017
Working here is fun because of the people around you. Most of the people in the workplace, whether they directly work with you or indirectly, want to see you be happy and succeed. Everyone works together as a unit and if one slips up, everyone usually bands together to pick up the slack. Sometimes, customer interactions can bring out bad emotions in you such as becoming mad, sad etc. The work, although easy, it is very tedious. Good place to work if you are just getting into the job market and don't have prior experience, but the people that have been there for many years take it to a different level altogether.
Benefits
Cons
Compounding work

Want to know more about Safeway?

Ask a question
Nice.
Meat Attendant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 May 2017
Nice place to work but they had a hard time managing personal life and work life. They often expected more then what was required and would be sure to bring this to your attention
Boring Job nature, but great work benefits.
General Clerk/ Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 May 2017
Safeway is a great place to work if you are just searching for an easy job and do it for life. As described in the title, Safeway UFCW provides great union protection on its employees, like heath care, dental care, etc. However, the job nature of Safeway is extremely boring as stocking products to shelves, receiving inventory, etc. It might be fun to begin with, but eventually, you might find the job is really boring, and lack of motivation.
Pros
Union protection
Cons
Job Nature is extremely boring
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 May 2017
Great workplace with a superb management. I learned a lot of my time with Safeway. Being more customer oriented and multitasking different jobs that I've been assigned.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not enough hours
Professional, clean
Assistant Meat Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 May 2017
Departments were kept clean and tidy at my store. They made it very easy to interact with customers. Great setup which always made you part of the customers interactions.
Pros
Easy to schule days off
Cons
many
dont work here
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC18 May 2017
dont work here, its awful, worst job, they dont listen to you, nothing is done there, management is the worst ive ever seen, worst company to work for.
Warehouse wrok enviornment
Order Picker, forklift (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 May 2017
a warehouse culture in a grocury warehouse. great wage per hour, physically demanding work at times but also keeps you physically fit. days go by quickly the quicker you work
Pros
Wage
Cons
Lifestyle
Staff is good to work with
Deli clerk and trainer (Current Employee) –  Calgary Alberta16 May 2017
Competitive work environment. Looking for better quality .strive to meet the customer needs.always looking to make a better shopping experience for the customers.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Hours
Decent part-time job
Front End Bakery (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 May 2017
Reasonably enjoyable job. Knew what to expect every shift. Learned how to manage time (how much I can reasonably get done in a shift). Mostly worked closing shift, so I often only saw my other coworkers for maybe an hour before they all went home. At times this was a pro, as it meant I could quietly go about my business. Cons were that if you encountered a problem (either with a customer or with a machine) you couldn't ask for help. When asking for time off, you had to submit a paper request which was put into a folder. I was a little paranoid that there was a possibility that the paper could get lost. Would have preferred and electronic system. Management was alright. Store managers were friendly and came when paged on the intercom. Bakery manager was really nice. Only issue was sometimes I wouldn't get my schedule until a few days before the start of the next week. Would have preferred something like 3 weeks scheduling in advance. Overall, pleasant experience. There was enough for me to do that kept me busy every shift. So time went by quickly which I appreciated.
Pros
Enough tasks to keep you busy all shift
Cons
May have to work overtime, not always satisfied with number of hours
Good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kenora, ON15 May 2017
This was a good summer job. The management was good, they were able to give you more/less hours depending on what you wanted. Everyone was very nice and approachable.
Pros
good, flexible hours
Cons
No free lunches
Good workplace
Deli Counter Attendant (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC14 May 2017
It was a good place to work but there is no room for advancement since most people who are on top have been working there fir 30 years + who don't want to retire.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval