Safeway Employee Reviews

Safeway and me
General Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC19 June 2016
Well... I worked for Safeway for 10 long years. The first year as a lowly courtesy clerk was alright. The next 4 however slowly deteriorated from alright to unpleasant to thank god I'm moving. As a courtesy clerk I was pushing carts, bagging groceries, helping customers, sweeping, cleaning up spills, and removing graffiti from bathroom stalls with hairspray, That was an interesting learning experience as hairspray actually breaks up ink and stuff! And of course cleaning bathrooms and the lunch room, and garbage's I got paid a maximum of $13.50 up from $11.17 in those five years. The 'benefits' were only available to people working 30 hours for 13 weeks on average. I got those benefits about 5 times. The benefits themselves started out decent. I got an air miles employee card which gave me just under 4000 air miles, that is until they stopped giving air miles as a benefit. Safeway benefits in my experience are not very good. Medical is a huge pain to try to use. Dental too. And that's about it. Other than pension of course. After I moved, I ended up working for Safeway again for 4 3/4 years. A new store, new people. It was so much better.. The atmosphere in that store was positive, and friendly. The work culture was very good. Not too serious. Staff could sing, joke, laugh. It was great! Mostly. In those years I was paid more than ever! Friends were to made everywhere too. The hardest part of working for Safeway as a courtesy clerk was doing the carts. The winters were brutal as there were 2-3 feet of snow. But those carts needed to be done. The hardest part in the last few years  more... was learning all of the positions in the store. I was here, there, and everywhere. It really depends on the store. I would recommend working for Safeway as a survival job. But some end up working there for 30-50 years. It depends on the person I guess. In both stores the management was rather unorganized. Also the managers should be trained better in diplomacy, tact, and in a manner that doesn't create too much ego in the management trainee. If you get hired and like it then awesome! If not there's other opportunities out there. I myself wouldn't work there again, unless there wouldn't be any other choice. So there ya have it. My stellar, and amazing, spectacular, and totally rad review of Safeway.  less
Pros
If you earn safety awards you get free lunch, Depending on the store the people can be awesome, you learn customer service which can actually make you a better person if you let it, Safeway acceptes all people into the company.
Cons
Benifits could benifit with an overhaul, Hours can and will be cut, Hours can be long, Management could be better organised and better trained
Safeway is my learning school.
Frontend Cashier and Grocery clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 August 2016
Well, I don't have any bad experience but ya there were some hectic days when i was getting tired before my shift, though it was a good learning experience. I was working as a grocery clerk and I have leant how to put groceries that it looks good and properly arranged. How we order our groceries and how we decide the price and discounts. We change every end t the end of the month so it is long process.
The most enjoyable part of the job is my collegues. They teach me everything. They are always there for me to solve my problems, my doubts and the atmosphere of the work-place.
Pros
Have been learning about team work at work-place
Cons
Not really
aaaaa
Assistant Manager - Starbucks, Safeway (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 February 2017
Take a minute to review Safeway.
Help people find a great job. It's easy aA bizarre new theory suggests that a mysterious anomaly discovered in the Antarctic may hide a
The theory comes from a team of UFO Hunters, who claim that
Pros
aaaaaaa
Cons
aaaaaaa
some good people to work with
Cake Decorator and Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 January 2017
On a daily basis was a full day of orders, customers and just hard work. On your feet for 6 to 7 hours on concrete floors was hard on the feet and back. I did enjoy decorating cakes and the baking of some goods.
Pros
decorating
Cons
overload of work
Awesome p[lace to work and great co-workers
FORKLIFT DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 February 2017
i would pick orders from a forklift, paper, water and numerous other products. quiet place to work and great pay. the hardest part of that job if i had to say would have been the hours i would have to work.
great place to work..
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB3 September 2016
a good company and great people around.store managers are very approchable and they offer a good benefits for the workers..they have a clean workplace
Typical day at starbucks
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC4 November 2016
A typical day at work for me includes making freshly brewed coffee, specialty drinks and preparing and stocking the snack case for the customers convenience. Making customers smile and happy about their purchase makes me happy that i'm doing a good job at what I do. I also clean and bus tables, stock the condiment area and upsell merchandise.
Pros
Free drinks, samples
Excellent place to work with friendly people.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 December 2016
Great work environment. Everyone works well together. Slightly monotonous with being a cashier. Learned a great deal of new skills. Not extremely difficult but still needs effort.
Pros
Free lunches every month or so. Can choose some hours you want to work
first job
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 February 2017
As my first job it was an alright experience. I was let go however due to the fact I did not get the correct training and I did not know how to do some task. I asked how you do them and they were unable to show me the correct procedure.
always busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kenora, ON4 February 2017
you'll often never be bored working as you'll always have customers from the start to the end of your shift. Since the price reductions there's been an influx of customers.
Pros
sometimes food in the staffroom
Cons
too much standing
Gret environment.
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 March 2017
Great place to work, nice atmosphere and co-workers. First time in a meat department and learning lots,enjoy serving customers and answering questions.
Pros
Good breaks. Short commute, close to home.
Cons
Could use more hours.
Overall, a pretty good place to work.
Baker's Helper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 August 2016
I've only experienced their bakery department; however, I did get to interract with the other people in different departments during breaks.
The average day would simply be organised tasks of meeting the daily quota of production.
The bakery manager was great at keeping a schedule of what to produce on a daily basis.
The coworkers were varied, despite a majority being baker's helpers, were versatile in their productivity.
The hardest part of the job would be the occasional double shift from day to night.
Pros
Gained new experiences from a variety of people.
Cons
Double shifting from day shift to night shift
Good environment, friendly staff, gave guaranteed hours, acomadated school and summer holidays.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB15 September 2016
A typical day at work consist of looking at our production shelf and determining what needs to be filled or if I'm on pizza duty, I would be checking to see what pizza's need to be filled as well. In the deli department, I interact with customers on a daily basis; whether it's weighing sandwich meat, serving salad, or making a sandwich for the customer.
Pros
Regular hours
Cons
Don't really have one, just would like to try something new
good place to work
Bakery Helper (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC19 January 2017
nice and friendly place to work, always busy, If you want to learn lot of room for that. sometimes difficult to go with the senior staff who dont want to change.
Pros
flexbile timing
Cons
geting up early in the morning
i wont even shop at safeway now.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB4 January 2017
Horrible. worked 10hrs a week for $11 an hour I could afford to work there spent more money on gas to get there than I was making.
staff were cliquey, the store manager care more about clash of clans more than anything
fun and great coworkeres
assist in loading and unloading trucks (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 December 2016
Picking and stacking products on pallets, preparing pallets for shipment, constant lifting and carrying of product. Prior power jack experience is an asset but not a requirement. Extensive heavy lifting is required.
staff is very helpful and friendly
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 July 2016
A typical day at work consisted of counting the self serve products in the bakery and recording the numbers in the book provided by the manager. Tagging products 50% off as needed according to the dates. Fill the self serve. All this needs to be done before the store opens at 8am. After that a bread order must be done before 9am. Then the bread wall must be filled and any special orders must be ready to go. finally a list is made and the frozen treats are taken out of the freezer and stocked on the shelves. If im the last one in the bakery i must make sure everything is packaged and the bakery freezers like the cake displays are working properly by taking temperatures, the bakery is clean and the ovens are off.
Pros
everyone is a team player
Cons
hard to take a break
Productive, fast paced, great co-workers
Full time Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC6 December 2016
One of the best things I liked about working at Safeway was my coworkers. They were friendly, helpful, and team players. I enjoyed the 10 months I worked for them. It taught me so much and gave me a strong work ethic.
not a good place to work
Counsel patients, Medication reviews (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 January 2017
Not a good place to work...suggested by other pharmacist not to take my lunch break many times....professionals putting blame on assistants when they are not checking properly prescriptions...
Cashier position
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2017
It was a fine job for a minimum wage place. I did not love this job but there was nothing bad about it. The location I worked at had nice staff, they gave hours out based on seniority.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.