Safeway Employee Reviews in Canada

Challenging and rewarding
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 14, 2016
Rewarding and fulfilling place to work. I have enjoyed the people I have worked with. We have saw many changes as a company and have enjoyed learning new skills.
Pros
challenging
Cons
Shift work
fun place to learn
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 2, 2016
This place was easy to follow tasks. The hours were reasonable. The staff were friendly. The benifits were awesome. I was happy to be offered extra hours or change in days to work if needed.
Pros
freindly place
Cons
far location
Busy environment
Cashier/Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 23, 2016
Busy working place. Learned with all the different walks of life with all different people. Co workers are fun to work with. Every single day is the most enjoyable day there is a hard part which is dealing with complains and try to solve the problems which is our learning grounds as well.
Didn't work long enough to review
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 25, 2016
I wasn't working there long enough so I don't think it's fair to do a review. My short time their was enjoyable.Try it out see if you like it. Staff that I worked with are still there so that must say something..
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Productive space with decent management and lots to do
Baker's assistant (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AlbertaAugust 12, 2015
Great place to work. Had a second job at the time and were very accomodating of that. Sometimes difficult to get hours, lots of employees, and as I was a new employee, hours were given to them before me. So the hierarchical nature of the employee organization made it a bit difficult for me. Shift work meant irregular hours, but that was fine by me, I needed as much work as possible. I was kept very busy, which I enjoyed.
Pros
Regimented, guaranteed breaks, decnt management, great coworkers
Cons
Irregular hours, hours per week not guaranteed
learning a lot
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Delta, BCApril 22, 2016
very hectic but that was fine. management was good. time passes very quickly. there is no fun there . management is nice. i have learnt how creat relationship with oeople
Pros
time passes fasst
Cons
very stress full
good beginner Job
Deli assistant (Former Employee) –  Trail, BCFebruary 18, 2016
not an ideal job for a long term job
job cannot support a life as in paying rent for a house cause you do not make enough but you do learn a lot and get to use your people skills or work on them
Busy fast paced environment
Calgary - Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 3, 2016
typical day

customer service
cleaning
handling money
handling food

I learnt how to handle food safely and how to work quickly
Pros
good co workers
Cons
long hours and low pay for hard work
Was not what I was looking for.
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMarch 13, 2016
I met a few good people. I learned a lot about myself and about retail. It is time to experience something new now.

I am aiming to take what I learned from my time at Safeway to better myself.
Slow and uneventful
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chestermere, ABNovember 16, 2015
Very repetitive job with nothing to do.
I felt under appreciated and management was always condescending towards me.
The job consisted of gathering grocery carts, sweeping the floor, and bagging groceries during the rush.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Long days, boring work, very unfreindly
Was alright despite all the drama
Supervisor, File Maintenance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 29, 2016
it was okay, most customers were nice and co-workers nice most of the time. not too hard of work. a typical day at work was to get ready and serve customers for up to 20 hours a week.
coffee fun
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 25, 2016
Great customers
learned a lot about coffee
great upper management
flexible hours
co-worker were ok not the greatest
the most enjoyable part was meeting nice people
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
pay
not a bad job, good work enviroment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 21, 2016
I enjoyed working here, I enjoyed working with my workmates, not much room for advancement but it was laid back and worth the time I took out of my life to go to work here
I love the workplace so much
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 21, 2015
As I said, I love to work again for this company. The manager I worked with is an awesome guy. They understand work/life balance very well.

all in all great place to work!!
Pros
Freedom and wonderful work/life balance
Cons
pays little less
Not bad at all
Exceptional customer service to customers (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 9, 2016
it was not a bad place to work at the time. Friendly environment and very safe workplace.
Enough work hours too. Won't mind working for them again
i love stocking shelves
stocking shelves (Former Employee) –  Brooks, ABMay 25, 2016
i love learning about new products. meeting new co workers. my most enjoyable part of the jobs is working at your own pace.
Pros
free luches
Cons
need more hours
The toxic culture was too much for me
Class 1 driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 5, 2015
You punch in, get your paper work and keys, get your truck, hook up to a trailer and deliver the skids to the various stores in Calgary and the surrounding area. Usually a driver will do a 2-4 trailers a night. Most of the shifts are afternoons, 4pm until 1am.
The work is generally clean, most stores have power jacks and most stores have great people whom you get to know and like. The driving is generally local and there are postings for out of town and over night runs but it takes time to get those postings. Its generally 5 days on and 2 off, some get 4 on and 3 off.
I found the work generally mundane and that I was under utilized. Its a pretty good gig if you don't want a challenge, to advance or work hard. The union contract pays time and a half after 8 hrs, double after 10 and double on call ins. Over time and call ins are very rare in an effort to slash expenses.
The management was challenging to work with. I don't think they have much education or training, a lot of people worked up from entry level jobs and scored the opportunity by being at the right place at the right time. They are great people if they like you. However I have had the chance to work with well educated industry leaders and I feel there is a lot left to be desired in this aspect of the company.
The co-workers are mainly senior citizens, close to retirement. I had the chance to meet many good people and make a few good friends too. There are some fantastic guys there and some not so fantastic. The median age is probably around 50. I think there were 3 guys under 40. About 30-40+
  more... guys over 40. So a good place for older, near retirement age people. I felt my co-workers and management were generally condescending towards me.
The most difficult parts of the job are the toxic culture and office politics. As well as unspecified goals and no positive feedback. Its generally a very negative place and the city drivers are treated terribly. Its never good enough, fast enough, smart enough. Yet there are no specific targets or objectives for people to reach for. There is no incentive structure here either. I've found most successful companies have at least some kind of incentive and post some objectives clearly. Not here.
The most enjoyable parts of the job were the steady and predictable hours. Everyone gets paid for the hours that they work which is only fair as some companies try to play games with drivers pay. I enjoyed being busy as it made the shifts go fast and getting to talk to people at the stores or at the warehouses. Being isolated as a long haul highway driver can be difficult so having some social interaction was good.
The company, in my own opinion, is at a cross roads. Its been bought up by Sobeys and they are looking at out sourcing the transportation unit to a third party, most likely Canada Cartage. The future looks very unsure to say the least.
Pros
Guarateed hours, dental, medical, pension, union
Cons
Weak management, toxic culture, bleak outlook, poor treatment of newer drivers
Fun but stressful workplace. (so yeah figure that one out)
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 26, 2016
I do not like most of my co-workers, there is only few that I like. Most of my co-workers are bad at what they do (work). The hardest part of the job is working with people who do not want to work.
Cons
No discounts, hours are cut
Nice Place to Work
Night Manager/Food Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kenora, ONMay 25, 2016
Had a wonderful time and I learned many things about how a business operates. It allowed me to increase and polish my customer service skills.
Safeway
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONApril 7, 2016
Cashier jobs are very stressful, working with the public is not for me. Staff is very confrontational. but good for young students to work if its a summer job and not a serious.