Safeway Employee Reviews in Canada

Fast-paced, energetic, challenging
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJuly 9, 2016
In my time at Safeway I have found the atmosphere to be one that I have thrived in. The energetic and fast-paced daily business has challenged me and brought out many of my best traits.
Fast paced and busy workplace
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 25, 2015
It was a great place to work, I didn't work there for very long, but it was a good start for experience, and they're pretty relaxed as long as you do what you're supposed to.
Pros
benefits when you did good.
Cons
break time too short
hard place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2016
I was Cashier. Lot of product numbers. Some managers were hard to talk to. Co-workers were great. The hardest part was memorizing the produce and bakery codes. I enjoyed working with the puplic.
fun place to learn
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 2, 2016
This place was easy to follow tasks. The hours were reasonable. The staff were friendly. The benifits were awesome. I was happy to be offered extra hours or change in days to work if needed.
Pros
freindly place
Cons
far location
positive work experience
Delicatessen/Meat Cutter/Seafood Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  new westministerJune 24, 2016
It's a great place to work and gives great work experience. Great atmosphere suitable for learning and positivity and all areas.
Ability to learn
Seafood/Meat Counter Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 2, 2015
This was a good place to learn different cuts of meat, information regarding fish, and learning new skills (filleting salmon).
It was also great place to work during school, as they were able to work around my school schedule and provide extra hours when possible.
Supportive management when I fractured my knee, as well as supportive coworkers when questions arose.
Pros
Flexible in hours for school
Cons
Weekly pay, harder to budget
All depends on the Management Team
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB, Calgary, ABJune 23, 2016
Can be a great place to work! But it all comes down to the management team that is in the stores. There are so great people working for the company.
Didn't work long enough to review
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 25, 2016
I wasn't working there long enough so I don't think it's fair to do a review. My short time their was enjoyable.Try it out see if you like it. Staff that I worked with are still there so that must say something..
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
left to focus on studies.
General Merchandise Clerk/ Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ABMay 31, 2016
I left Safeway to focus on my studies in Hospitality Management at SAIT Polytechnic. The hours avaliable did not work for my school schedule.
Great place for a first job.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCNovember 16, 2015
Overal, Safeway is a wonderful place for your first job. A typical day at work is like any other day, you have your good day's and you have your bad. I've learned that you're not always right, most of the time it's the machines mess up and not the customers cards. My co-workers are wonderful people to be around, they're always there to listen to your stories, and they really make your work ethic much better each time. The hardest part about the job is when you're very low on staff sometimes, and there's not a whole lot of people to handle the job correctly and you're left running around way too much. Best part about my job is getting to chat with strangers about their days, and getting to know your regular customers that come through your cashier till all the time. You get to meet new people among your co-workers and just expierence a great time.
Pros
great people, customers are loyal, managment is on point
Cons
open until midnight, long shifts for part time
Busy fast paced environment
Calgary - Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 3, 2016
typical day

customer service
cleaning
handling money
handling food

I learnt how to handle food safely and how to work quickly
Pros
good co workers
Cons
long hours and low pay for hard work
learning a lot
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Delta, BCApril 22, 2016
very hectic but that was fine. management was good. time passes very quickly. there is no fun there . management is nice. i have learnt how creat relationship with oeople
Pros
time passes fasst
Cons
very stress full
very productive with great co workers.
Cashier/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMarch 3, 2016
When i worked for Safeway in Surrey BC, i had a great time working along side my co workers. I learned different cultures and got to know usual customers and their needs.
not a bad job, good work enviroment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 21, 2016
I enjoyed working here, I enjoyed working with my workmates, not much room for advancement but it was laid back and worth the time I took out of my life to go to work here
picker/packer, ware house
Warehouse Janitor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 31, 2016
clean warehouse , picking/packing, hand jack, fork lift, a team player, available to Mon to Friday. hard worker, valid driver ,
Pros
good money
Cons
lots of overtime
Excellent work environment that prompot productivity and teamwork.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  West Vancouver, BCNovember 17, 2015
Outstanding culture with excellent management, that encourages employees, and maintain a friendly and creative work culture. Its a participation style management where employees are allowed to take initiative in accomplishing tasks and helping customers.
i love stocking shelves
stocking shelves (Former Employee) –  Brooks, ABMay 25, 2016
i love learning about new products. meeting new co workers. my most enjoyable part of the jobs is working at your own pace.
Pros
free luches
Cons
need more hours
Tough, but rewarding
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 20, 2015
My job was very labour- intensive and repetetive, but the pay was good so I stuck it out. My co-workers are friendly and encouraging. I learned the value of having a stick-to-it attitude. Honestly, the most enjoyable part of the job is me being done for the day/ night.
Pros
C- Train accessible, good pay, good co- workers.
Cons
Long hours, repetetive and draining work.
good place to start in
Baker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 9, 2016
a very standard grocery store bakery. depending on the day and the stock, we will make bread accordingly. flexible hours and a very positive work place
safeway tought me alot about being a real good cashier, i hope ill be an asset to your company,
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Quesnel, BCJanuary 1, 2015
i loved going to work, i get along with most everyone, the only hardest part of my job was standing all day,the most enjoyable part was seeing the same customers coming through my till, and we would carry on our conversation where we had left off from the last visit.i learned alot knowing all the codes for the friut and vegetables was a big one, knowing them, makes the job so much easier,
Pros
we had a 10%discount on store brands
Cons
the raises