Safeway Employee Reviews

Safeway
Cook (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC16 July 2016
I found working at Safeway a very fun and interesting environment. The people I worked with were greta and so was management
stressful place to work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON13 July 2016
A co-worker made me do all the work while she was cutting up her fruits, while i was doing my part of the job. She made me clean her dishes and whatever she used after her shift. Then after her shift I told her off, that i was stressed out, so she did it again later on. SUCKED!
Pros
nice people
Cons
lots of work
Canada Safeway Ltd.
Cashier/ floral/ bakery (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 July 2016
I enjoyed meeting the public and solving their concerns about day to day purchased and dilemas about products at Safeway. Moverover, I enjoyed the Team work environment established at Safeway and the team I worked with.
Pros
Perks such as gift cards, lunches and verbal feedback.
Cons
The only objection I had with Safeway was the lack of hours.
Good place to be with good coworkers.
Gas Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 July 2016
A nice place to be. Not much advancement where I was but I like dealing with customers & the hours were good. Working for the company was good. Ok Managment.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Problem Customers
Enjoyable woking conditions
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Frances, ON12 July 2016
Safeway was a good place to work. It had a lot of in-house training dealing with the job. Co-workers were easy to get along with and were helpful with job training.
Pros
Co-workers, training, using different equipment
Fast-paced, energetic, challenging
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 July 2016
In my time at Safeway I have found the atmosphere to be one that I have thrived in. The energetic and fast-paced daily business has challenged me and brought out many of my best traits.
hard place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 July 2016
I was Cashier. Lot of product numbers. Some managers were hard to talk to. Co-workers were great. The hardest part was memorizing the produce and bakery codes. I enjoyed working with the puplic.
its ok
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  100, 5005 Dalhousie Dr NW7 July 2016
the work is fine and pretty easy but the work environment is not great. a lot of the employees are nice but do not give you any respect as a Courtesy Clerk.
not enough staff
Starbucks Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 June 2016
I enjoyed working there but we were always short staffed and no one wanting to take extra shifts. Did not always get breaks because of how short staffed and heavy lifting.
Pros
enjoyed the customers
Cons
short staffed
positive work experience
Delicatessen/Meat Cutter/Seafood Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  new westminister24 June 2016
It's a great place to work and gives great work experience. Great atmosphere suitable for learning and positivity and all areas.
great workplace with SOME hardworking staff who were kind and knowledgable about the job and were very helpful
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC23 June 2016
a typical day at Safeway for me involves assisting costumers find items on the shelves (i memorized where everything is) carrying groceries out to their cars, cleaning bad messes in the store and in the parking-lot, dealing with the occasional thief or drunkard. we had alot of older customers i would walk them out to their cars and help them find there keys. on days when there is alot of backstock or a large orders i would help work the stock to the shelf and then organize the backstock.
Pros
.free lunches when you helped with volunteer work or store promotions.
Cons
drama, small break room, lack of privacy, lazy assistant managers, lack of staff, my food would be stolen from the fridge.
All depends on the Management Team
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB, Calgary, AB23 June 2016
Can be a great place to work! But it all comes down to the management team that is in the stores. There are so great people working for the company.
Retail work, clean and classy, backpain
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 June 2016
Your schedule is ready for about 3 weeks ahead so that was a good point.
Your day starts with your shift, and as a Cashier, after 3 is the busy hours, and after 8 gets quite.

You will work weekends, if you choose not to, it is OK with them but you will not get good hours. So better to say Yes at the beginning then adjust your time in.

Scheduling is a good point of Safeway.

People are nice, as Safeway is expensive store, you dont see weird people come in and go, often,
Pros
Union
Cons
Insurance after 6 months of work
Safeway and me
General Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC19 June 2016
Well... I worked for Safeway for 10 long years. The first year as a lowly courtesy clerk was alright. The next 4 however slowly deteriorated from alright to unpleasant to thank god I'm moving. As a courtesy clerk I was pushing carts, bagging groceries, helping customers, sweeping, cleaning up spills, and removing graffiti from bathroom stalls with hairspray, That was an interesting learning experience as hairspray actually breaks up ink and stuff! And of course cleaning bathrooms and the lunch room, and garbage's I got paid a maximum of $13.50 up from $11.17 in those five years. The 'benefits' were only available to people working 30 hours for 13 weeks on average. I got those benefits about 5 times. The benefits themselves started out decent. I got an air miles employee card which gave me just under 4000 air miles, that is until they stopped giving air miles as a benefit. Safeway benefits in my experience are not very good. Medical is a huge pain to try to use. Dental too. And that's about it. Other than pension of course. After I moved, I ended up working for Safeway again for 4 3/4 years. A new store, new people. It was so much better.. The atmosphere in that store was positive, and friendly. The work culture was very good. Not too serious. Staff could sing, joke, laugh. It was great! Mostly. In those years I was paid more than ever! Friends were to made everywhere too. The hardest part of working for Safeway as a courtesy clerk was doing the carts. The winters were brutal as there were 2-3 feet of snow. But those carts needed to be done. The hardest part in the last few years  more... was learning all of the positions in the store. I was here, there, and everywhere. It really depends on the store. I would recommend working for Safeway as a survival job. But some end up working there for 30-50 years. It depends on the person I guess. In both stores the management was rather unorganized. Also the managers should be trained better in diplomacy, tact, and in a manner that doesn't create too much ego in the management trainee. If you get hired and like it then awesome! If not there's other opportunities out there. I myself wouldn't work there again, unless there wouldn't be any other choice. So there ya have it. My stellar, and amazing, spectacular, and totally rad review of Safeway.  less
Pros
If you earn safety awards you get free lunch, Depending on the store the people can be awesome, you learn customer service which can actually make you a better person if you let it, Safeway acceptes all people into the company.
Cons
Benifits could benifit with an overhaul, Hours can and will be cut, Hours can be long, Management could be better organised and better trained
a respectful environment
Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 June 2016
i worked a night shift with my mom in safeway where i cleaned the store after work hours. i enjoyed working there because i was around people i wanted to be with and it was a healthy and safe environment. i would like a part time job again.
Pros
good working hours
Cons
low salery
lovely
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC17 June 2016
Co-workers always great to be around and work along side. Always laughing and smiles whatever the day is like for work load.
Good entry level position
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2016
I happily dealt with customers, concerns with the best of my abilities. I packed groceries & scanned them. My co-workers were vastly approachable & supportive of each other. I enhanced my customers service skills & I also learnt how to work under pressure.
good place to start in
Baker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 June 2016
a very standard grocery store bakery. depending on the day and the stock, we will make bread accordingly. flexible hours and a very positive work place
ExampProductive and excellent work ethicle: Productive and fun workplace with table tennis table
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 June 2016
most enjoyable part of my job was working the team of cashiers, produce clerks and customer service.
safeway is a good place for students for starter jobs.
Pros
employee discount offered on some items in store
Cons
nothing to comment
picker/packer, ware house
Warehouse Janitor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 May 2016
clean warehouse , picking/packing, hand jack, fork lift, a team player, available to Mon to Friday. hard worker, valid driver ,
Pros
good money
Cons
lots of overtime