Safeway Employee Reviews

Good people, paralyzing upper-management
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC28 November 2017
For the time that I worked here, there were both good and bad moments. My coworkers were all nice people who were willing to lend a hand if you needed it, and they were easy to get along with; the same could be said of our direct manager. Unfortunately, a lot of the equipment we needed to do our job was so old that it was either near-obsolete or completely broken. Our manager did what he could to get things for us, but he was unable to get most of what we needed without the go ahead from his own superiors, who often had no clue about our situations.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Paralyzing management
Understaffed
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 November 2017
Most of the co-workers are easy to get along with, but as with all retail stores, they are quite understaffed at night.

There is no opportunity to become a supervisor/manager. This may have changed since I was last there.
Pros
Decent pay for Grid A
Cons
Take forever to get to Grid A
flexible hours for students
Cashier and bakery clerk (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC25 November 2017
As a student, they work around my schedule and allow me to have a flexible schedule. It's a relaxed job, but it can be kind of boring. Management is good.
Pros
flexible
Cons
boring
Productive Work Place In The Meat Dept
MEAT CLERK (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 November 2017
Working with Sobey's was a good opportunity to work and learn future employment skills.The hours were good and my department manager was a good boss and team leader.
Union Job UFCW1518
Manager (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC19 November 2017
Was only part time had no benefits and no stat pay for my position. Was working towards getting full time hours but is hard in a union environment. Great company
Pros
Clean work environment
Cons
Hard work in dusty areas at times
Easy going
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 November 2017
Nice staff and co-workers sometimes very annoying customers and struggled to remember produce codes which irritated some. Training was provided and very well done.
Pros
Nice staff, forgiving
Cons
Takes up weekends
Awful Management, worse "lifers"
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC13 November 2017
absolutely hated management, absolutely no help, if you ever had an issue they were never helpful and I would always feel belittled when I had an issue. Management are bullies who dont know how to do their job. If you are coming into the store as a fresh face, be prepared to be talked down to, not only from management but from the "lifers"
early morning, fast paced
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC12 November 2017
I would help to get fresh baked goods ready to deliver to a couple locations that didn't have in store bakeries. I would fry doughnut, package buns and muffins etc. and a little cake decorating.
Professional and an extremely caring environment to be included in.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 November 2017
I enjoyed working with co-workers whom were much older than I am, I aspire to be as professional and driven as them. They truly make you feel welcomed, and will take care of you as a new member of the team. Understandings when it comes to flexibility and work hours, and awesome management!
enjoyed
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 November 2017
I loved working at Safeway, they became family. Majority of the employees were kind and respectful and I loved it about Safeway. I felt at home and safe.
Fast paced, highly motivated, team focused, high level of communication
Bakery Production Helper (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB10 November 2017
In the bakery department as a helper you learn various tasks. I learned how to proof, fry and decorate donuts. I also got to help assist the bakers with bread, cookies, muffins and setting up various other goods to be baked. Keeping areas clean and organized was another task, as well as washing dishes and taking out trash.

The staff were always highly motivated and had high levels of communication. Everyone got along and was eager to help others when needed.

The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the fast pace, especially when there were special orders added to the regular work load. That wasn't bad though, because of how helpful and encouraging the team was.

The most enjoyable part of the job was continually learning new tasks and being surrounded by hard working, positive people! The manager was amazing. He always ensure all staff were sure of the expectation and confident in what they were learning.
Pros
Highly motivated staff, high communication skills, raises, stability, morning meetings, positive work environemt
Cons
Limited Full-Time positions available, very high pased, working with very high heat as well as frozen products
It’s a good working area
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB10 November 2017
Possibly an easy job, employees are great and job management is good and hours are sometimes good basing on what type of work time you choose. Work hours are terrible during this time of year
Pros
Cons
Midueam hours
Wonderful place to work
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 November 2017
Learned a lot
the longer you are there the more the will show you and train you
it was fun
the have great benefits
hardest part was the hours but after awhile I got stable hours
the most enjoyable part was how friendly everyone was and how great of an environment it was working there
Pros
free food
Cons
the hours where not the grates
Entry Level
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2017
Working at Safeway was a good entry level job. I worked in the produce department and learned about many different veggies and fruits.

I met many nice people and the atmosphere was good
Fun work place, busy, and good for experience
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB1 November 2017
-Typical day at work is always busy
-I've learned to be independent and how to solve conflict problems
- Management are great and we always resolve the problems that we are having.
- Our workplace culture is nice, we teach our employees professionalism to avoid mistakes engaging to customer.
- The hardest part of the job is to take off most of the stuff on the floor when floor waxers are coming in.
- The most enjoyable part of the job is i can supervised the employees and to help them when they are having problem.
Pros
I can talk to the customers and have conversation
Typical
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 October 2017
Safeway isn't what it was. Salary min wage and wage bumps at very small over long periodic intervals. Management is not really your friend in this union environment and the union can't really do much unless there is a clear case of discrimination of sorts. Even contacting the union, management will lower your hours or threaten to do so. Safeway being a competition with more and more supermarkets, it is more cut-throat than ever. I can't recommend Safeway as a career path in good conscience.
Pros
experience?
Cons
low wage
Okay job, nothing special
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 October 2017
Worked here for a very short time due to the fact that I injured myself on the job. The manager didn't really like me and was writing me up every other week for silly things that had nothing to do with my performance as an employee. When I got hurt using the meat slicer, the manager refused to fill out the worker's comp form honestly and claimed that I was injured at home. I left the position when I realized that I was never going to move up the ranks or payscale here.
Pros
Fun environment, good supervisor, great staff and customers
Cons
Poor management from the higher ups, no opportunity for advancement
Very productive work place.
Seafood Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC26 October 2017
Make up fresh seafood case.Fill and rotate stock.Fill out orders for fresh and frozen products.Inventory done monthly.Writing up work schedules for employees.Customer service.
Pros
Great benefit package
Cons
Some night shift work
It was alright
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 October 2017
get there and wait for customers
I learned how to use the cash register like a pro
The hardest part of the job was showing that I could do the job. Ihardest part of the job was trying to please the supervisor as well as the customers. I went to work every schedule. Most enjoyable part wouldve been bagging. The people loved how I did it.
Pros
Good job
Cons
The coworkers are up tight with new people
Good part time
Cake Decorator, Sales & Service, Baker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 October 2017
Worked in Bakery, decorating cakes. Many grumpy bakery staff. serving customers is part of the job. learned many bakery jobs and appreciate the experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K