Safeway Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
The toxic culture was too much for me
Class 1 driver (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 5, 2015
Pros: Guarateed hours, dental, medical, pension, union
Cons: Weak management, toxic culture, bleak outlook, poor treatment of newer drivers
You punch in, get your paper work and keys, get your truck, hook up to a trailer and deliver the skids to the various stores in Calgary and the surrounding area. Usually a driver will do a 2-4 trailers a night. Most of the shifts are afternoons, 4pm until 1am.
The work is generally clean, most stores have power jacks and most stores have great people whom you get to know and like. The driving is generally local and there are postings for out of town and over night runs but it takes time to get those postings. Its generally 5 days on and 2 off, some get 4 on and 3 off.
I found the work generally mundane and that I was under utilized. Its a pretty good gig if you don't want a challenge, to advance or work hard. The union contract pays time and a half after 8 hrs, double after 10 and double on call ins. Over time and call ins are very rare in an effort to slash expenses.
The management was challenging to work with. I don't think they have much education or training, a lot of people worked up from entry level jobs and scored the opportunity by being at the right place at the right time. They are great people if they like you. However I have had the chance to work with well educated industry leaders and I feel there is a lot left to be desired in this aspect of the company.
The co-workers are mainly senior citizens, close to retirement. I had the chance to meet many good people and make a few good friends too. There are some fantastic guys there and some not so fantastic. The median age is probably around 50. I think there were 3 guys under 40. About 30-40+ – more... guys over 40. So a good place for older, near retirement age people. I felt my co-workers and management were generally condescending towards me.
The most difficult parts of the job are the toxic culture and office politics. As well as unspecified goals and no positive feedback. Its generally a very negative place and the city drivers are treated terribly. Its never good enough, fast enough, smart enough. Yet there are no specific targets or objectives for people to reach for. There is no incentive structure here either. I've found most successful companies have at least some kind of incentive and post some objectives clearly. Not here.
The most enjoyable parts of the job were the steady and predictable hours. Everyone gets paid for the hours that they work which is only fair as some companies try to play games with drivers pay. I enjoyed being busy as it made the shifts go fast and getting to talk to people at the stores or at the warehouses. Being isolated as a long haul highway driver can be difficult so having some social interaction was good.
The company, in my own opinion, is at a cross roads. Its been bought up by Sobeys and they are looking at out sourcing the transportation unit to a third party, most likely Canada Cartage. The future looks very unsure to say the least. – less
Fun and productive workplace
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABNovember 4, 2015
I learned how to interact with customers and to serve their needs. I love helping customers in times of need. I am a people person. And it was always challenging because there was always something new I would be doing. New task, new customer.
Productive and interesting workplace, nice co-workers
Cashier (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKNovember 2, 2015
Pros: Good shifts
Cons: Disorganized schedules
It's a good place to work with nice co-workers. Very helpful employees when it comes to training and teaching people ways to understand different codes and how to use the machines. The only problem was scheduling and shifts, the schedules would conflict on days where I wrote I am unable to work or completely unavailable.
Ability to learn
Seafood/Meat Counter Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 2, 2015
Pros: Flexible in hours for school
Cons: Weekly pay, harder to budget
This was a good place to learn different cuts of meat, information regarding fish, and learning new skills (filleting salmon).
It was also great place to work during school, as they were able to work around my school schedule and provide extra hours when possible.
Supportive management when I fractured my knee, as well as supportive coworkers when questions arose.
A good employer for inexperienced workers
Payroll/scheduling clerk (Former Employee), Mission, BCNovember 1, 2015
Pros: Good job security
Cons: low pay and hours at first
Safeway is a good place for a new worker who would like to learn about the retail sector. Union job with high job security and good advancement for those with the drive and initiative. Pay starts off low but does eventually provide a living wage. Hours start off low as well but as your seniority rises your hours maximize eventually. Best to start when a student or to have management goals quickly
Fun place to work if you like to meet new people.
Caissière / Service à la clientèle (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 27, 2015
Pros: lots of good food around, polite customers
Cons: rude customers
I was a cashier and I absolutely loved my job , I loved to help other employees and customers . I am friendly so being a cashier is a great job for me . I had many friends .
There was no real hardship to the job
I met a lot of interesting people and had other opportunities because of my job.
Good place to work but union environment
Shipping Dock Lead (Former Employee), Calgary SEOctober 22, 2015
Pros: You get BBQ every couple of months
Cons: Lots of heavy lifting and very strict deadlines
You work 81/2 hours a day. There is very minimal opportunity for advancement as there is a union. New employees do not have much chance of advancing into higher roles because senior employees get first call. Management is very strict especially with new employees.
I love the workplace so much
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 21, 2015
Pros: Freedom and wonderful work/life balance
Cons: pays little less
As I said, I love to work again for this company. The manager I worked with is an awesome guy. They understand work/life balance very well.

all in all great place to work!!
an excellent place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Delta, BCOctober 21, 2015
Pros: happy environement
Cons: can be stressful at times / must be fast paced oriented
processing customer purchases
to work quickly
courteous
working as fast as you can
talking with customers and helping them
Tough, but rewarding
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 20, 2015
Pros: C- Train accessible, good pay, good co- workers.
Cons: Long hours, repetetive and draining work.
My job was very labour- intensive and repetetive, but the pay was good so I stuck it out. My co-workers are friendly and encouraging. I learned the value of having a stick-to-it attitude. Honestly, the most enjoyable part of the job is me being done for the day/ night.
fun, friendly workplace
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 16, 2015
Most days went smoothly and even if it didn't the staff was always cheery and on top of things. Nice flexible hours with great people
Productive and exceptional work place to start out in
Cashier (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 15, 2015
Pros: Good starting salary
Cons: Shift work, Having to be available on all sundays
Safeway was a fun work place to start providing myself with stability, the best part of the job was being able to interact with customers and learn some great customer service skills that will help me out with other jobs. I met some awesome people and enjoyed my time there but I just wanted to explore other options and experience something different.
Cashier customer service representative
Clerk II Cashier (Former Employee), Burnaby, B.C.October 14, 2015
Pros: free dental coverage
Cons: n/s
Very good for students and those that want effortless working. Very friendly and supportive team will definitely work their if given a chance
Productive and fun workplace
Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 13, 2015
Pros: free lunches on special occassions
Cons: work overload
Working in Deli Safeway is fun. Dealing with different kinds of customers everyday is cool, seeing diffferent personalities & attitude makes my work more challenging. Co-workers are very easy to deal with.
Depends on location and coworkers
Cashier and Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 8, 2015
Pros: Take Lunch when you want, fantastic benefits
Cons: Over night shifts
Depending on who you're working with this job can be fantastic or great pain in the neck. Some of the management is really friendly, where as others would really like to abuse their authority.

The hardest part of the job by far is dealing with the customers, as they have all sorts of questions and they're not always something you're knowledgeable or trained in. Regardless you're expected to resolve this customers issue while still getting your general tasks for the day done.

Most enjoyable, you're able to take lunch whenever you want and you've got plenty to choose from within the store.

Aside from this, produce clerks work alone and more often than not independent workers. This can be nice if you don't enjoy working in a group situation.
Exciting, Eventful
butcher (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 7, 2015
Pros: excellent bennefits
Cons: poor managment
Working at Safeway in the meat department was always an exciting day. my Duties included cleaning meat and cutting it into the appropriate sizes for steaks, ribs, ext.. It was exciting to learn all the ways there are to cut and label meats. There was a variety of what i did each day, including Cleaning the equipment used, washing dishes, preparing different foods and cutting steaks and different meat products.
Fun place to work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 6, 2015
Pros: family environment
Cons: short hours
every one worked as a team. being a new employee the seniors were right on top of you training you, helping you when needing help.

they all were like a little family. which is a great atmosphere to work in.
Flexable and fun
Cashier/Stock (Former Employee), grande prairieOctober 5, 2015
Pros: flexable, fun, enjoyable
Cons: random shifts
Busy. Always kept the time going. They were flexable. Lovely ladies and gentlemen that work there.
I learned how to run the till and pack groceries properly.
Management was amazing and caring.
the co-workers were fun and awesome to work with. Loved them all.
hardest part was learning how to pack what where.
most enjoyable part was talking with the ladies and meeting new faces almost everyday.
Productive workplace that is consistent with workflow
Cashier/Bakery Assistant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 3, 2015
Pros: Monthly coupon benefits
Cons: Reduced Hours
Safeway is like any other grocery store, but focuses on customer service over anything else. All of the departments put concentration into serving the customers and fulfilling their needs.
Great Company to work for
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), CalgarySeptember 26, 2015
Pros: great place to work
Cons: moved around alot
I worked for this company for 12 years, they pay weekly and plenty of room for advancement. the down side to this company is that they move you from location to location where u may be needed so you are never in just one store.
Links