Safeway Employee Reviews in Canada

productive,friendly coworker
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 28, 2016
working on a food service is not a joke..your dealing with food that everybody can eat.so it should be healthy and free from unwanted things or not good for the body.
co-workers is very friendly,we have different culture and we learn different things from each other.
hard place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2016
I was Cashier. Lot of product numbers. Some managers were hard to talk to. Co-workers were great. The hardest part was memorizing the produce and bakery codes. I enjoyed working with the puplic.
Great, fun work space with enthusiastic co-workers
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCMay 4, 2016
The work environment at Safeway was enjoyable and safe. Everything was always organized and worked like a machine. Every day was busy but the great co-workers and management team helped relieve any issues that would emerge.
Tedious, brainless work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 7, 2015
Every day is the same. You get on a till, you must endure tens of snobby customers daily just to be yelled at by the supervisor at the end of the day. Co-workers are generally alright, however, the management is awful and disorganized. Smiling for six hours and pretending to be genuinely interested in a customer's life is definitely that hardest part. The most enjoyable part is going home.
Pros
Union
Cons
No benefits for part-time employees
Productive, Fast Paced Environment
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONMarch 22, 2016
Great place to work, people are friendly. Learning is never ending, as we're expected to learn qujckly and be self sufficient.
Hardest part of the job is the after hours work schedule.
Most enjoyable is interacting with the public on a continual basis! :)
Pros
Variety of duties to keep you on your toes
Cons
Early mornings and After 5pm shifts
great people to work with.
Deli and seafood clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCApril 29, 2016
I enjoyed serving the customers and working with the great staff.I enjoyed preparing the food.This was a very high paced environment where we had to multitask.The hardest part was finding reliable staff.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
very physical work
positive work experience
Delicatessen/Meat Cutter/Seafood Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  new westministerJune 24, 2016
It's a great place to work and gives great work experience. Great atmosphere suitable for learning and positivity and all areas.
Productive and fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 11, 2016
I really enjoyed going into work and cleaning up and organizing everything as well as assisted with answering phones and filing. Run by awesome people, over all great place to work
Pros
free food, great salary, short days
Cons
far from my house
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABMarch 15, 2016
I enjoyed working at Safeway. I got along with my co workers. The management was good. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers.
All depends on the Management Team
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB, Calgary, ABJune 23, 2016
Can be a great place to work! But it all comes down to the management team that is in the stores. There are so great people working for the company.
Can be challenging working with the public.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 1, 2016
Flexible hours that worked around family life. Easy going customers for the most part, but learned a lot about customer service while there for the past 18 years. Fun atmosphere at times. hard to stand in one place at times, and the items can get heavy, (case lot sales).
left to focus on studies.
General Merchandise Clerk/ Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ABMay 31, 2016
I left Safeway to focus on my studies in Hospitality Management at SAIT Polytechnic. The hours avaliable did not work for my school schedule.
its ok
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  100, 5005 Dalhousie Dr NWJuly 7, 2016
the work is fine and pretty easy but the work environment is not great. a lot of the employees are nice but do not give you any respect as a Courtesy Clerk.
fun place to learn
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 2, 2016
This place was easy to follow tasks. The hours were reasonable. The staff were friendly. The benifits were awesome. I was happy to be offered extra hours or change in days to work if needed.
Pros
freindly place
Cons
far location
Very satisfactory workplace; team work is much encouraged and safety within the workplace. Dynamic management and job security and benefits..
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 22, 2012
A very challenging job, ensuring that customers are satisfied starting from greeting them; the stocks at the store are well stacked and well arranged.

Team work and safety consciousness are emphasised always. The management are dynamic and supportive, and the co-workers are very warm and amiable. Nothing in the job considered too hard except where the assignment of the day has to be at the cooler (cool room) and when the volume of the stock is very large and has to be completed within a specific time limit. Meeting people with a view to assisting them and accomplishing the assignment/task of the day can be very satisfying
Pros
prompt payment, and the associated premium; insurance coverage, and benefits; advancement opportunity
Cons
working night shift always.
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCApril 7, 2012
The most enjoyable part of the job was building the rapport with the customers. I loved talking to them and asking them about their day and making a friendly conversation with them while processing their orders. I also liked asking them the questions such as would you like car service - although not for all customers (even those who had light bags). I also liked telling them the benefits of signing up for an Air-miles card or for a Safeway club card. I truly believed it was beneficial or else I wouldn't have recommended it. I also liked fund-raising for certain charities such as Muscular Dystrophy because I really feel for those people who can't move their muscles and can't walk! I would personally never like to be in a position where I couldn't walk! So I enthusiastically raised a lot of money and once I was in the top three for raising the most money for that charity!
Pros
good management and team members
Cons
late nights
Fun work place with lots of interactions
Deli (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABApril 4, 2016
The job was fun with lots of costumer interactions. The co-workers came from different family types with lots of story's to tell. The most enjoyable part of the day was getting to find out what new meats were coming out.
Pros
short shifts
Cons
too little hours
First Job
Checker (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAAugust 10, 2016
This was my first real job. It was not my favorite and it was very dull, but it's good for people who just got out of high school and need an easy job.
picker/packer, ware house
Warehouse Janitor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 31, 2016
clean warehouse , picking/packing, hand jack, fork lift, a team player, available to Mon to Friday. hard worker, valid driver ,
Pros
good money
Cons
lots of overtime
Good place to work but union environment
Shipping Dock Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary SEOctober 22, 2015
You work 81/2 hours a day. There is very minimal opportunity for advancement as there is a union. New employees do not have much chance of advancing into higher roles because senior employees get first call. Management is very strict especially with new employees.
Pros
You get BBQ every couple of months
Cons
Lots of heavy lifting and very strict deadlines