Safeway Employee Reviews

Early mornings, long hours and fast paced work.
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 March 2017
Working in stock and cake decorating, Bread slicing in the morning, packaging and putting out fresh stock with first in first out rotation.
Pulling and distressing items, taking orders and preparing them. Leaving notes of future orders to be completed, organization is a must! Independent and a team player!
Pros
Staff. scheduled breaks
Cons
Early mornings!
No comment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 February 2017
Safeway, Inc. is an American supermarket chain founded in 1915. It is a subsidiary of Albertsons, having been acquired by private equity investors led by Cerberus Capital Management in January 2015.
only good if you know someone there
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 January 2017
management only takes care of management.. if an employee comes with something serious they need to address they brush it off especially if its about there manager. they refuse to see bad in people management staff..
Good Place to work but low hours
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Neepawa, MB13 February 2017
I enjoy customer contact and trying to resolve their wishes, but I am very displeased with their hours, as I used to work almost 40 hours a week and now, at most, I work 12 due to major hours cut.
Pros
Love the people contact
Cons
poor hours, short shifts, low wage
Safeway
Cashier / Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 November 2016
I loved working for Safeway I wish it would have bin full time not part time. the wages were so so . The management was great to work for . Safeway was close to my home.
Pros
good wages
Cons
not enough hours
Geat place to work
Shipper/receiver helper, sears canada (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 February 2017
management staff taught me how to do my job better. some days work can be busy and some days are not as busy. making the customer very happy.
Pros
fun
Fun, hard, busy
Deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB31 January 2017
It was fun fast working environment. At times it was hard to keep up but managed. My Coworkers were fun to work with, we worked as a team. I cooked the deli meals a lot, assisted customers.
Pros
lunch breaks and coffee breaks
Cons
hours were sometimes short or sometimes full 8 hour shifts
good job. keeps you busy.
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC11 October 2016
Typical day at work was setting up display and preparing self serve cases and cleaning. Helping customers and being good with customer service is essential. the people at this particular store in the seafood / meat department are top notch, quality people to work with. about an hour before close you take down display and sweep, mop the area and clean and sanitize. Never needing to work passed 6pm was very pleasing for work / life balance.
Pros
You get a paid coffee break every 2 hours of work. Union job.
Cons
Dull. Can be boring if you're used to outdoors, adventurous work.
Safeway and me
General Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC19 June 2016
Well... I worked for Safeway for 10 long years. The first year as a lowly courtesy clerk was alright. The next 4 however slowly deteriorated from alright to unpleasant to thank god I'm moving. As a courtesy clerk I was pushing carts, bagging groceries, helping customers, sweeping, cleaning up spills, and removing graffiti from bathroom stalls with hairspray, That was an interesting learning experience as hairspray actually breaks up ink and stuff! And of course cleaning bathrooms and the lunch room, and garbage's I got paid a maximum of $13.50 up from $11.17 in those five years. The 'benefits' were only available to people working 30 hours for 13 weeks on average. I got those benefits about 5 times. The benefits themselves started out decent. I got an air miles employee card which gave me just under 4000 air miles, that is until they stopped giving air miles as a benefit. Safeway benefits in my experience are not very good. Medical is a huge pain to try to use. Dental too. And that's about it. Other than pension of course. After I moved, I ended up working for Safeway again for 4 3/4 years. A new store, new people. It was so much better.. The atmosphere in that store was positive, and friendly. The work culture was very good. Not too serious. Staff could sing, joke, laugh. It was great! Mostly. In those years I was paid more than ever! Friends were to made everywhere too. The hardest part of working for Safeway as a courtesy clerk was doing the carts. The winters were brutal as there were 2-3 feet of snow. But those carts needed to be done. The hardest part in the last few years  more... was learning all of the positions in the store. I was here, there, and everywhere. It really depends on the store. I would recommend working for Safeway as a survival job. But some end up working there for 30-50 years. It depends on the person I guess. In both stores the management was rather unorganized. Also the managers should be trained better in diplomacy, tact, and in a manner that doesn't create too much ego in the management trainee. If you get hired and like it then awesome! If not there's other opportunities out there. I myself wouldn't work there again, unless there wouldn't be any other choice. So there ya have it. My stellar, and amazing, spectacular, and totally rad review of Safeway.  less
Pros
If you earn safety awards you get free lunch, Depending on the store the people can be awesome, you learn customer service which can actually make you a better person if you let it, Safeway acceptes all people into the company.
Cons
Benifits could benifit with an overhaul, Hours can and will be cut, Hours can be long, Management could be better organised and better trained
Depends on location and coworkers
Cashier and Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 October 2015
Depending on who you're working with this job can be fantastic or great pain in the neck. Some of the management is really friendly, where as others would really like to abuse their authority.

The hardest part of the job by far is dealing with the customers, as they have all sorts of questions and they're not always something you're knowledgeable or trained in. Regardless you're expected to resolve this customers issue while still getting your general tasks for the day done.

Most enjoyable, you're able to take lunch whenever you want and you've got plenty to choose from within the store.

Aside from this, produce clerks work alone and more often than not independent workers. This can be nice if you don't enjoy working in a group situation.
Pros
Take Lunch when you want, fantastic benefits
Cons
Over night shifts
It was an amazing job, I met a lot of fun people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC4 January 2017
It was your typical deli job
I learnt how to further my customer service skills
The management was friendly
The hardest part of the job would be rush hour
Better than Nothing
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC2 February 2016
The paychecks don't bounce and the schedules get put up regularly, which is more than I can say for my last job.

The union fees puts your pay below minimum wage...for nothing exactly apparent in benefits.

Managers intentionally schedule you to give you as few hours as possible and leave the store understaffed. You'll never get enough hours to qualify for any of the benefits, except maybe in summer.
Pros
Paid Breaks
Cons
Limited Hours, High Union Fees
PRoductive and fun place to work in.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 December 2016
Amazing Company with professional people and management. Great customer service with clean and professional environment. Diverse work atmosphere with helpful staff.
good people bad hours
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB23 March 2017
I like my co-workers and work well with them in my department and in others. I would like for the hours to be more consistent but they are flexible in that they will let you take time off easily.
Develop life skills
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 August 2016
Routine is not
the word I would use to describe a typical work day .Every day is a new experience .It is a learned skill to meet and greet a variety of people every day. This would include management as well as co-workers.The variety was both the most enjoyable as well as the most difficult part of any customer service position. The only person you can control is yourself and your interaction with all the different people you may encounter in any given day..
I have also found age to be a mellowing agent .
great workplace with SOME hardworking staff who were kind and knowledgable about the job and were very helpful
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC23 June 2016
a typical day at Safeway for me involves assisting costumers find items on the shelves (i memorized where everything is) carrying groceries out to their cars, cleaning bad messes in the store and in the parking-lot, dealing with the occasional thief or drunkard. we had alot of older customers i would walk them out to their cars and help them find there keys. on days when there is alot of backstock or a large orders i would help work the stock to the shelf and then organize the backstock.
Pros
.free lunches when you helped with volunteer work or store promotions.
Cons
drama, small break room, lack of privacy, lazy assistant managers, lack of staff, my food would be stolen from the fridge.
Lots of demand for no pay
General Retail Clerk and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Trail, BC23 February 2017
I was in the produce department mainly. My tasks were simple: fill new produce, get rid of bad produce, order more produce to come in.
Safeway liked my no nonsense attitude and all of a sudden i was getting grocery/bakery/cashier shifts.
Pros
customer service
Cons
customer service
Great Work Place
GENERAL CLERK (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, AB23 March 2017
I have been recently hired at Safeway after applying for customer service positions, as that is my specialty.

It is a great work environment and the people are kind, knowledgeable and just over good people to work with.

I look forward to growing with the company.
Cashier position
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2017
It was a fine job for a minimum wage place. I did not love this job but there was nothing bad about it. The location I worked at had nice staff, they gave hours out based on seniority.
Good hours, room for advancement, not a bad job.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat11 May 2016
Typical days at work were simple, most of the tasks i was assigned were easy and quick. I learned how to operate a cash register, as well as increased exposure and practice in the customer service fields. Management was always positive and easy to get along with, however getting tough answers out of them proved difficult at times.
My co-workers were always helpful and easy to work with, they did whatever they could to help out one another. The hardest part of my job was getting tough answers out of management, they lacked grit and toughness in certain situations. They seemed too eager to please everyone at times and thus certain problems were left unfixed and not solved. The most enjoyable part of my job was the amount of trust I was given, I was able to work individually and indepenenatly when the situation called for it.
Pros
Lots of hours, flexible hours, good discounts, flexible break times, lots of room and opportunity for advancement
Cons
Lack of grit and tenacity from management

66%