Safeway Employee Reviews

Overall, a pretty good place to work.
Baker's Helper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 August 2016
I've only experienced their bakery department; however, I did get to interract with the other people in different departments during breaks.
The average day would simply be organised tasks of meeting the daily quota of production.
The bakery manager was great at keeping a schedule of what to produce on a daily basis.
The coworkers were varied, despite a majority being baker's helpers, were versatile in their productivity.
The hardest part of the job would be the occasional double shift from day to night.
Pros
Gained new experiences from a variety of people.
Cons
Double shifting from day shift to night shift
Productive, Efficient, Great Work Environment
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB20 July 2016
Great part time job with awesome management. Co-Workers get along well, all work as a team to accomplish joint tasks.
Pros
Flexible, Co-operative Boss, Great Supervisors
Excellent place to work
S.E.A. Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 May 2016
Every day was fun and educational. The company wanted everyone to be glad to be an employee with them.
The Management team was exceptional, always encouraging you to accept new programs and upgrade your education. That is how I was invited to learn QuickBooks and haven't looked back. The hardest part of the job was leaving as it was 'home'.
great place to work..
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB3 September 2016
a good company and great people around.store managers are very approchable and they offer a good benefits for the workers..they have a clean workplace
Good environment, friendly staff, gave guaranteed hours, acomadated school and summer holidays.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB15 September 2016
A typical day at work consist of looking at our production shelf and determining what needs to be filled or if I'm on pizza duty, I would be checking to see what pizza's need to be filled as well. In the deli department, I interact with customers on a daily basis; whether it's weighing sandwich meat, serving salad, or making a sandwich for the customer.
Pros
Regular hours
Cons
Don't really have one, just would like to try something new
Fun environment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2016
One of the best jobs I had, the people and environment was awesome, the money and hours weren't bad at all in the beginning. Each month, my hours go shorter and shorter, and my manager didn't seem to care at all that I was having a hard time paying rent and living in general. my advice would to apply for full time, unless you live with your parents and don't mind working 4 hours a week.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Short hours
safeway
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  2325 preston ave7 August 2016
I liked that I knew what was expected of me by the end of my shift but I could use my discretion on how to make sure it all got done. The hardest part is when everything was done and no customers were shopping because it was too quiet. I liked everybody that worked there, they seemed liked they cared about me if I was sick or not feeling well. I enjoyed being around the people and I was relieved when I got all the tasks done before my shifts ended.
Pros
close to home
Cons
not enough hours
Good place to be with good coworkers.
Gas Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 July 2016
A nice place to be. Not much advancement where I was but I like dealing with customers & the hours were good. Working for the company was good. Ok Managment.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Problem Customers
lost their way
food clerk (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK23 May 2016
after 29 years safeway lost their care factor for their emplyees . the management lost touch with the emplyees and the bottom line was the only important thing . in reality the single most valuable asset to a company is their employees and the companies should treat them like they are an asset not an expendature.
Pros
full accomidations included
All depends on the Management Team
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB, Calgary, AB23 June 2016
Can be a great place to work! But it all comes down to the management team that is in the stores. There are so great people working for the company.
Safeway
Cook (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC16 July 2016
I found working at Safeway a very fun and interesting environment. The people I worked with were greta and so was management
Typical day at starbucks
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC4 November 2016
A typical day at work for me includes making freshly brewed coffee, specialty drinks and preparing and stocking the snack case for the customers convenience. Making customers smile and happy about their purchase makes me happy that i'm doing a good job at what I do. I also clean and bus tables, stock the condiment area and upsell merchandise.
Pros
Free drinks, samples
Cashier/Checker
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
I really like meeting new people but I would say the hardest part is memorizing all the produce codes (but still trying to memorize) and the rude customers but I kept smiling and tried to maintain calm as much as possible. My old Safeway job at deli clerk didn't send my deli clerk training money to my bank account. I love this cashier job right now though
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Standing too long
Retail work, clean and classy, backpain
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 June 2016
Your schedule is ready for about 3 weeks ahead so that was a good point.
Your day starts with your shift, and as a Cashier, after 3 is the busy hours, and after 8 gets quite.

You will work weekends, if you choose not to, it is OK with them but you will not get good hours. So better to say Yes at the beginning then adjust your time in.

Scheduling is a good point of Safeway.

People are nice, as Safeway is expensive store, you dont see weird people come in and go, often,
Pros
Union
Cons
Insurance after 6 months of work
....................
Department Manager Starbucks (Former Employee) –  Parkland Mall, Red Deer, AB16 May 2016
It was a job that I needed at the time although I would never become a lifer there. I put in hard working hours every day and tried to not get in people's way but all I got was yelled at.
Pros
unionized so there were breaks every 2 hrs
Cons
the management can be real jack donkeys (insert expletive here)
Nice place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC27 May 2016
Safeway is a good place to work. A typical day at work involved serving customers on the check stand, advertising promotions and answering any questions customers had. I thoroughly enjoyed working with my co-workers and interacting with the public.
Pros
Customer interaction
very fun job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 February 2016
I loved working in the Deli department at Safeway. I learned how to make many different salads, and pasta salads. I learned how to slice lunch meats and eventually knew how many slices equaled so much grams. I learned a lot about food safety and keeping things clean and sanitized. My co-workers were older and very particular, but were wonderful ladies to work with. The hardest part of working in the deli, was learning how to safely clean the meat slicer and cooking the whole chickens, as well as remembering all the codes to the products. The best part was learning how to make the Salads and prepping the display case
Pros
great hours and benifits
Cons
lots of work
Good staff and production along with supervisors
Order Picker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  1100 King Edward street27 October 2016
Will work any shift part time or full. Enjoy walking bowling golf baseball . Im a quick learner and get along with everyone. I would like to work in another productive and fun workplace
Pros
Worked around appointments with notices
Cons
All workable with superior supports put in place
Ping pong politics
produce clerk (Current Employee) –  Ladner, BC11 April 2016
This company gets sold on average every 5 years so the management is continually trying to shine their penny and lean the books.
High pressure on staff with no replacement for ill workers and always trying to impress by running too lean.
Makes for a vicious circle...
Pros
Employees can bed great to work with. Customers were awesome.
Cons
Poor management skills, high production pressure. Standing all day.
i am out going.love working with others,always happy,and positive,help other in need of any assistance,
Deli Clerk/deli second assitant (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB30 October 2016
typical day,getting things ready for customers,learned how to do managers position,enjoying customers,learning about them,helping co-workers.
Pros
always ahead of myself