Safeway Employee Reviews in Canada

Fast paced
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 27, 2015
I learned how to make fruit and veggie trays. My co-workers were very nice. The hardest would be to close down the deli by yourself. The best part would be the customers.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Excellent company to work for; we worked hard but our efforts were appreciated.
Journeyman Baker/Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK and Calgary ABMay 26, 2016
Enjoyed my time there. Company was very accommodating during time I was dealing with elderly parents. Truly miss the people I worked with.
Pros
Benefits/training/opportunities for advancement.
Cons
Varied and sometimes demanding schedules.
ExampProductive and excellent work ethicle: Productive and fun workplace with table tennis table
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 3, 2016
most enjoyable part of my job was working the team of cashiers, produce clerks and customer service.
safeway is a good place for students for starter jobs.
Pros
employee discount offered on some items in store
Cons
nothing to comment
Slow and uneventful
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chestermere, ABNovember 16, 2015
Very repetitive job with nothing to do.
I felt under appreciated and management was always condescending towards me.
The job consisted of gathering grocery carts, sweeping the floor, and bagging groceries during the rush.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Long days, boring work, very unfreindly
Productive, Fast Paced Environment
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONMarch 22, 2016
Great place to work, people are friendly. Learning is never ending, as we're expected to learn qujckly and be self sufficient.
Hardest part of the job is the after hours work schedule.
Most enjoyable is interacting with the public on a continual basis! :)
Pros
Variety of duties to keep you on your toes
Cons
Early mornings and After 5pm shifts
Tough, but rewarding
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 20, 2015
My job was very labour- intensive and repetetive, but the pay was good so I stuck it out. My co-workers are friendly and encouraging. I learned the value of having a stick-to-it attitude. Honestly, the most enjoyable part of the job is me being done for the day/ night.
Pros
C- Train accessible, good pay, good co- workers.
Cons
Long hours, repetetive and draining work.
Great Management
Bakery Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 27, 2016
I loved my coworkers and managers but did not like the lack of hours. Went from working 20+ hours a week to 4.
I learned how to slice bread and package goods. I liked working as a team but did not like working by myself after everyone went home.
Pros
Free Baked-Goods
Cons
Not enough work hours
....................
Department Manager Starbucks (Former Employee) –  Parkland Mall, Red Deer, ABMay 16, 2016
It was a job that I needed at the time although I would never become a lifer there. I put in hard working hours every day and tried to not get in people's way but all I got was yelled at.
Pros
unionized so there were breaks every 2 hrs
Cons
the management can be real jack donkeys (insert expletive here)
Great place for a first job.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCNovember 16, 2015
Overal, Safeway is a wonderful place for your first job. A typical day at work is like any other day, you have your good day's and you have your bad. I've learned that you're not always right, most of the time it's the machines mess up and not the customers cards. My co-workers are wonderful people to be around, they're always there to listen to your stories, and they really make your work ethic much better each time. The hardest part about the job is when you're very low on staff sometimes, and there's not a whole lot of people to handle the job correctly and you're left running around way too much. Best part about my job is getting to chat with strangers about their days, and getting to know your regular customers that come through your cashier till all the time. You get to meet new people among your co-workers and just expierence a great time.
Pros
great people, customers are loyal, managment is on point
Cons
open until midnight, long shifts for part time
fun and productive
Produce assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 11, 2015
enjoyed my experience with safeway, but reach my potential in the job i was doing and was no longer rewarding....applied for Management but was overlooked many times even in seniority so time to move on....
Pros
benefits and great people work with
Cons
no chance of moving up in company
Nice place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 27, 2016
Safeway is a good place to work. A typical day at work involved serving customers on the check stand, advertising promotions and answering any questions customers had. I thoroughly enjoyed working with my co-workers and interacting with the public.
Pros
Customer interaction
a respectful environment
Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 17, 2016
i worked a night shift with my mom in safeway where i cleaned the store after work hours. i enjoyed working there because i was around people i wanted to be with and it was a healthy and safe environment. i would like a part time job again.
Pros
good working hours
Cons
low salery
Can be challenging working with the public.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 1, 2016
Flexible hours that worked around family life. Easy going customers for the most part, but learned a lot about customer service while there for the past 18 years. Fun atmosphere at times. hard to stand in one place at times, and the items can get heavy, (case lot sales).
productive,friendly coworker
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 28, 2016
working on a food service is not a joke..your dealing with food that everybody can eat.so it should be healthy and free from unwanted things or not good for the body.
co-workers is very friendly,we have different culture and we learn different things from each other.
Fun work place with lots of interactions
Deli (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABApril 4, 2016
The job was fun with lots of costumer interactions. The co-workers came from different family types with lots of story's to tell. The most enjoyable part of the day was getting to find out what new meats were coming out.
Pros
short shifts
Cons
too little hours
Better than Superstore judging from experience.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 12, 2016
Great Union.
Average coworker, some more than others.
Friendly Manger but not so friendly Assistant Manager at the time.
Miss working there sometimes beside the constant hassle.

Happy Retirement, Sir. :)
Pros
3.5/4 star
Cons
AM is not good person
Great, fun work space with enthusiastic co-workers
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCMay 4, 2016
The work environment at Safeway was enjoyable and safe. Everything was always organized and worked like a machine. Every day was busy but the great co-workers and management team helped relieve any issues that would emerge.
great people to work with.
Deli and seafood clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCApril 29, 2016
I enjoyed serving the customers and working with the great staff.I enjoyed preparing the food.This was a very high paced environment where we had to multitask.The hardest part was finding reliable staff.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
very physical work
Productive space with decent management and lots to do
Baker's assistant (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AlbertaAugust 12, 2015
Great place to work. Had a second job at the time and were very accomodating of that. Sometimes difficult to get hours, lots of employees, and as I was a new employee, hours were given to them before me. So the hierarchical nature of the employee organization made it a bit difficult for me. Shift work meant irregular hours, but that was fine by me, I needed as much work as possible. I was kept very busy, which I enjoyed.
Pros
Regimented, guaranteed breaks, decnt management, great coworkers
Cons
Irregular hours, hours per week not guaranteed
enjoyable (former employee)
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 26, 2015
What we did packed baked goods listen to gossip helped customers learned to write on cakes and cleaned the store. Good management for the most. Would go back again just not in the bakery