Safeway

4.1K reviews

Safeway Employee Reviews

It's a job.
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BCNovember 8, 2012
It wasn't great, it wasn't bad... it was simply a place to go to and spend time stocking shelves in return for money.

Make sure shelves aren't empty, not much else to learn.

Management was fine, that really depends on the person however.

My co-workers were nice people.

Hardest part of the job would probably have been heavy lifting; however even the heaviest boxes were very manageable.

The part I most enjoyed would be when my shift was over...

PS: I only wrote this because indeed wouldn't leave me alone with the "Review Safeway" text everywhere I look, lol... It's a grocery store, really... what's there to review.
Good only for the survival
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 23, 2012
We start doing scanning costumer's groceries after greetings and bag them in very friendly manner. We offer carry out service if they want some help and finally thank them by their last name. Mostly Safeway costumers are very friendly which we talk a lot during our cashing process. We inspire them for donation for different events too.
Management of Safeway is very helpful which inform any thing happening in the store to all of the workers in morning time and coworkers are also very helpful to each other.
The hardest part of the job is to get sufficient hours to make money for the survival but you achieve it when you show your good performance which is the enjoyable part.
Easy work, enjoyable
Helper (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJuly 5, 2014
A night at work involved easy lifting, placing stock of shelves. easy problem solving.
I learned to work at a fast competitive pace to keep up with other companies in the supermarket industries.
Management was great, kind and understanding, they would help you if you needed help or questions answered.
co-workers were fun to work with but you don't have time to see them much as your at work and at a fast general pace.
The hard part about the job is the its repetitive, same thing every night.
the most enjoyable thing about this job was that your free to work at your own pace and don't have anyone slowing you down. everyone is friendly. I liked helping others if they needed help! some co-workers have disabilities...
Cons
9 hour night or days
Safeway had no human compasion
bakery/ front end (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 31, 2014
Start early morning, clean up from night before,pakage buns, slice bread and wait on customers,
I learned customer is alway right no matter how rude they were
Managment was always changing hands and passing their job down
co-workers only did what they had to
hardest part of job was trying to get 8 hours of work done in 4 hours and working in frezzer
Most enjoyable part was I got along with most of the employees, Days went fast and met a lot of new people
Pros
shares & raise every 500 hrs
Cons
not having a set scedual
Productive, friendly, and quiet workplace.
Cake Decorator & Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABAugust 7, 2014
A typical day at work in the bakery started quite early, I learned a lot more about professional baking; especially in how to use the equipment. This was very informative and pretty fun. My department manager was excellent! My co-workers were enjoyable to work with as they kept up a lively and funny banter. We were all able to join in or listen as we work; this is one of the best parts of life and jobs; is the people you meet. The hardest part of the job for me was to start so early in the morning. This meant your day actually started at least a minimum of an hour before you actually start work.
productive and taught me some new things
deli clerk (Former Employee) –  winnipeg, mbJuly 23, 2015
A typical work day involved prepping salads, sandwiches, subs, using industrial ovens to cook turkeys and chickens. use of deep fryers, cutting meats with slicer and tenting to customers. I learned to use the meat slicers and how to weigh meats and salads on a scale in grams and pounds. How to sanitize all cookware, ovens and deep fryers. Can't really say much about management because they hardly came around. My Co-workers were fun and knowledgeable and I appreciate the things they taught me in so little time. The hardest part of my job at Safeway was cleaning the deep fryer. I enjoyed working their because it was close to home.
Providing outstanding customer service while working in a fast-paced environment.
Deli Team Member (Current Employee) –  Mission, B.C.October 24, 2014
A typical day at Safeway would be arriving at work on time with a positive attitude. Every company has customer that are hard to deal with but we always try to make their shopping experience a friendly one. I have learnt how to act responsibly in a crisis and, also, how to interact with customers efficiently. I absolutely love the atmosphere at work. I got an opportunity to work with great managers and staff. I have been honoured to be a part of Safeway's great staff, however, I would like to move on and find a place that would work better for my future career path.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Productive and Fun Workplace
Seasonal Gift Card Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 9, 2014
Typical day consists of receiving orders by email, phone and fax. Filling out the orders. Sending them out. Updating Client Information and adding new clients to the list.

I learned lots about life in an Office Setting. Steady paced Environment with a sense of fulfillment.

Management was excellent in keeping us goal oriented and changing the days up with a variety of tasks

Co-workers were always cheerful and looking forward to another good day of work.

I did not find a hard part to this job.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when all orders were done by the end of our shift.
Good Boss, poor managment, even worse crew
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Taber, ABAugust 26, 2014
Everything was based on seniority, so you go to work everyday hoping someone new is hired so you`re not the lowest on the food chain.
When young people are given the power of supervision it can quickly go to there head. Also when management does not get checked up on it too quickly goes to there head.
Hardest part of the job was the hours, and standing on your feet all day, as a student they over work you, a lot!
Most enjoyable part, customers that come in and express how they know how the cashiers feel on day to day, dealing with customers, and other staff.
Pros
a job, customers
Cons
long hours, management, scheduling
summary reviewed
clerk 11 (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 9, 2013
always show up to work on time. (15 min.before shift)
access all product that may be low on shelves
stock them first, if items not found bring this information to my superior
trust in the management for product knowledge
treat all co- workers with respect
some shifts you can,t get every thing done in an 8 hour shift
knowing i have done a good shift
i find it makes me feel better knowing i have done a good job
Pros
the crue i worked with are fun to be with and always helpful
Cons
at the time the min. wadge was $8.50 per hr. it has improved
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Canada, Calgary 130th aveJuly 1, 2015
A typical work day, would start with clocking in then talking to you manager and hearing about any new promotions going on at work, contest..etc. Then you would go to you're till and start working most favourite part was when I was in the till and got to interact with all the different costumers that came through. Break you get to interact with you're co-workers which was nice, asking about their day knowing more about them. Everyone was friendly. Hardest part of the job would be when it is around thanksgiving and they is a lot of turkeys to lift and bag, but it wasn't so bad.
Pros
Great managment team
Cons
short hours giving
Safeway was a wonderful place to work with many challenges daily.
Acting Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kenora, ONSeptember 15, 2014
Safeway was a Family, we all respected each other and the jobs that each of us did. As part of the Management team I was fortunate enough to be able to be a part of the entire store and have a connection with all employees and learn the aspects of each job there. The hardest part of my job was having to discipline staff as situations occurred. The best part of my job was the satisfaction that I got at the end of the day knowing that my hard work was noticed and appreciated and that it made a difference to the company.
Pros
my hours were quite flexible which was a bonus when appointments or such arose.
Cons
very long hours, lots of heavy lifting and very physical
There needs to be the opportunity for advancement without having to work there for over ten years to receive it
P/T cashier (Former Employee) –  Mission, British ColumbiaFebruary 28, 2013
This job as a cashier is repetitive and hard on the back, I enjoy the customers most of the time. Our manager is really great but he has little say in what transpires. I like my co-workers but the politics are a bit much. I stay out of it. The hardest part of the job is the repetition and lack of variety in the job. The best part is getting to know the customers.
Pros
if you don't need alot of hours, it's great
Cons
not getting enough hours like now, after almost four years there i am getting an average of 5 hours a week
Customer service
Clerk in Charge (Former Employee) –  100 Mile HouseApril 27, 2013
I was the closer, so i had all the late shifts with plenty of Over-time, but even with OT it didn't pay enough for the stress.
Very fast paste and on the spot problem solving, I liked it to a point where you test your limits and learn. I became one of the best customer service employees there and was looking into advancement to management but there was no opening at that time.
hardest part would be dealing with the thieves and terribly stacked truck loads.
best part was seeing and talking to everyone in the community
Pros
worked indoors, got christmas off, benefits, work with nice people
Cons
pay, time
A great company to work for.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SKApril 10, 2013
A typical day at work involves working at a cash register ringing in purchases. As a cashier we are expected to treat each customer with respect and dignity. Keeping our work space clean, tidy and uncluttered is also expected. There are a variety of personalities within the employee pool and one learns to tolerate and appreciate what each fellow employee has to offer on any given work day. The supervisors are well trained and treat each employee fairly. If discipline or correction is needed it is done fairly. Safeway always tried to accomodate the needs of employee with regard to time off or shift changes.
Pros
flexibility of shifts.
Cons
no cons to this job.
I was the friendly cashier everyone stood in line to checkout with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 10, 2014
Helped people checkout their groceries in a fast, friendly fun manner.
Helped them with getting extra airmiles when they weren't informed about special promotions. Had to memorize over 100 4-digit produce codes, and managed well! Co-workers knew to ask me the codes when in doubt. Thanked every customer by last name and offered them help to carry groceries to the car. I grew up in the area, and knew everyone. Today, I still shop there and get along well with all employees and customers.
Pros
seeing familiar faces all day long, and the pay was a great bonus!
Cons
sore back, tendonitis, sore legs
Amazing Experience Provider.
Cashier/ Check-Out Clerk (Former Employee) –  1440 Henderson HighwaySeptember 16, 2013
This job taught me many useful skills in any field of work such as outstanding customer service and an outstanding display of work ethics. Coming to work was never stressful and management was always kind but thorough with their teaching methods. I personally worked as a cashier/ check out clerk which was very enjoyable. The job itself was very easy to maintain and Safeway's number one concern was being kind to their customers thus resulting in them not being very angry or hostel due to the expectation of getting good customer service from us (the employees) resulting in the job environment being very joy filled and positive.
Pros
employee benefits.
Cons
not enough hours.
Productive and fun workplace with great staff.
Assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 16, 2012
On a typical day at work at Safeway I would've either cut meat, assisted customers, restocking merchandise, cooking, make salads and sandwiches, and prepared food for the next day or all of that in one day. I learned so much working at safeway about food safety, customer service, cooking, proper cash handeling and working as part as a team. I had a great team of coworkers behind me, working with me and ready to help me out whenever i needed it, which I'd say was the best part of the job. The harder part of the job was difficult customers and sometimes even getting yelled at.

Overall it was a great experience working at Safeway. I gained a lot of customer service skills.
Productive and friendly environment.
Cashier/Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fort Frances ONSeptember 17, 2012
The managerial staff at Safeway is very motivated in making the customers happy and creating an environment that is enjoyable for everyone. With understanding supervisors, we are able to take time off that is needed and can have a good working relationship.

A typical day at work for me is assisting customers when they arrive at the till. I scan through and bag items and put it in the customers cart. I enjoy being able to have friendly and casual conversations with the customers making them want to come back.

At safeway we call every customer by name so they can feel as though this is truely a friendly neighbourly place.
Not the greatest workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 27, 2015
Hard on your body, I learned their technology quickly and easily and how to deal with conflict or difficult situations with customers.
Management isn't very understanding.
My coworkers like to gossip but are overall nice.
The hardest part of the job is the standing, its hard to stand for such long periods of time.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be when us coworkers have a break and can minimally socialize, but when you get the more social customers you are able to have a good conversation and keep them happy as well.
Pros
not really any
Cons
long periods of time standing, no incentives on groceries