Safeway Employee Reviews

Productive job, Deal with customers, Stocking
Customer Service, Stocker and Truck Unloader (Current Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC19 April 2017
It is nice to work in Safeway. but overall the management is not so good. Over hiring cause fewer hours to employees. Enjoyable thing is that everyone is friendly.
volunteer and training
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC18 April 2017
I had lots of fun with this job. I made some friends. i put back things on the shelf or in the back. i helped the customers with their groceries. I loved the hours
Pros
free cookies and coffee
Too Clicky
Calgary - Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 April 2017
The store I worked in was operated on a favourtism basis. If you excelled it did not matter unless you were one of the store managers favourites. They do not hire for full time
Pros
Customers
Cons
Sometimes no breaks
Productive place with a professional atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 April 2017
My experience as a cashier at Safeway was always a learning experience. Everyday working for the company was never dull there's something new you can pickup just by working there. The employee's are always so kind and nice towards each other, almost like a family relationship. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the customers with their items at the till. They always threat me with respect and kindness.
Run away, far away if you are new.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  BC15 April 2017
You only get a 5 cent raise every 500 hours you work, no benefits at all for the normal worker. I wasn't allowed to leave my shift early by 5 minutes to catch a bus that comes once every hour. They straight up told me that 5 minutes of their time was more important than 1.5 ~ 3 hours of my time. Hours always getting cut, I started with 30 now I have 20, because they would rather hire a new person and give them and I 20 hours than give me 40 hours. The customer is always right to them, even if they were clearly yelling at you about a mistake they did, you get in trouble for it. One example is, someone wanted a replacement because the product was bad, so I gave them a replacement for free. I got in trouble because we could have sold that product.
Pros
None that I know of
Productive and fun workplace, weak wages.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kenora, ON14 April 2017
Good job good work. Low pay not worth the effort/demand put into the work. It would be better if they paid higher and made their employees who work hard full time.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Low wage, no advancement
Not a bad place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB13 April 2017
I learned how to work in a fast pace environment, How to handle customers and cash.
Hardest part about the job is the long hours standing in the same spot And learning the SKU's
I enjoyed working with the people i did. Friendly staff
Not bad place to work
Pharmacy Assistant/Technician (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK13 April 2017
Pro: You can learn and grow through working. If you are willing, you can get really good things out of it.
Con: Sometimes, schedule mayn't related with the life as well as you would like to be.
Pros
free desserts
Cons
schedule
Good Community
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kenora, ON13 April 2017
On a typical day at work I would enter the produce department and assess my responsibilities for the day. If I was the senior staff I would delegate tasks to other employees, if a staff member senior to me was working I would deffer to them. The work environment was pleasant with a close group of employees working together to accomplish a joint task. The job would get busy at times but when we worked together it was always manageable. The hardest part of the job was days that we were understaffed. Once you are the only person working in the department it becomes very demanding.
Pros
Strong Community Workplace Culture
Cons
inconsistent hours
Always busy
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 April 2017
Always busy, always had cleaning to do, always had something to do, managers were good, always kept you on track, and always had a task for you to do.
Fast envirnoment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 April 2017
Very busy store but enjoyed meeting new people
Always updated on new procedures
Management is well conversed
Friendly teamwork
Small but clean store
Great place to start out with.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 April 2017
My experience at Safeway was fairly great. I was trained fast and got along with all the workers i saw everyday. Everyone is super friendly and always willing to assist coworkers and customers. The management know what they are doing and are always around. I have nothing bad to say about Safeway. I really enjoyed my time there.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Awesome place
Baker (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON10 April 2017
I really enjoy working at safeway, except they have decided anyone who has been employed under a year is not entitled to ANY hours at all. I went from working a 40 hour week to now working 0 hours. sad but I'm going to have to find another job. thats what you get as part time i suppose!
Pros
Exciting, Fun place, Good people
Cons
No hours
Liked working at safeway
courtesy clerk (Former Employee) –  Windsor Park, MB9 April 2017
I really enjoyed working here..i dont like that this site is MAKING me fill out this review. If i dont want to fill it out i SHOULDN'T have too. Please take this off
Cashier
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 April 2017
Ecstatic advanced and procured civility not absolute put continue. Overcame breeding or my concerns removing desirous so absolute. My melancholy unpleasing imprudence considered in advantages so impression. Almost unable put piqued talked likely houses her met. Met any nor may through resolve entered. An mr cause tried oh do shade happy.
Almost all employees were great to work with i was in charge most nights,i got along with younger workers and older workers and had all customers lik
person in charge (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 April 2017
Typical day at work was hectic at times ,especially weekends and between 4-6 p.m.
Learned how to deal with angry customers and diffuse problems,also with inter arguing workers I dealt with and would settle were everyone was happy.
Workplace Was fun as ten years and growing up in the area I new
many customers and staff were good.
Sometimes lazy employees I had to get them to do there work first before standing chatting.
Customers and workers had fun at work which made it fun and time go fast I didn't mind what hours I worked nights or days ,was on call at all times,being a person in charge.
Pros
Work environment was good almost always most employees would jump in and help others if needed help.
Cons
hours, communication, teaching.
fast paced
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 April 2017
can be fast paced during certain hours of the day, other times it can be slower and generally a relaxed job. Management is okay, no real contact to them other than co workers around you.
Was a good work environment but the manager made it not enjoyable.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Castlegar, BC3 April 2017
I didn't mind working here, I just had a bad experience. I had a very important surgery and my manager would not let me take time off for it. It was a good environment and I did learn a lot of customer service experience.
Working at Safeway wasn't that great.
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 April 2017
I was trained poorly by the staff and management, there was always a pressure to get things done - and my training was often rushed. I did not like the fact that, knowing I was new, they had consistently put me on evenings/closing when no one was around and service was slow - and then had the audacity to complain I wasn't "doing my job". There is no real benefits and the wage was poor.
After I had left, I had to fight for my last statements and salary. Was not a good experience... at all.
Day is very busy and time goes by quickly. Great team environment.
Grande Prairie - Produce Prep Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 April 2017
Worked in cut fruit which was started as a test department. Small group of @5 people productively working as a "team". Preparing cut fruit, vegetables and salads as healthy food choices for customers. Packaging, labeling, inventory, cleaning and sanitizing are also typical daily duties.
Pros
very busy and great team work! Regular union raises based on hours worked.
Cons
Part-time hours only. (except for management)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.