Safeway Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent company to work for; we worked hard but our efforts were appreciated.
Journeyman Baker/Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK and Calgary ABMay 26, 2016
Enjoyed my time there. Company was very accommodating during time I was dealing with elderly parents. Truly miss the people I worked with.
Pros
Benefits/training/opportunities for advancement.
Cons
Varied and sometimes demanding schedules.
Very awesome team!
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 10, 2016
I really enjoy working for Safeway, you start off above minimum wadge which is nice, the training is great and the job itself is vrey fun if you enjoy interacting with people! However they canot provide newer employees with enough hours (only 10-15 a week) so a lot of students cant afford to only have the one job!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 2, 2016
Provided customers the best shopping experience. One of the best teams in the industry to enhance one's skill set and advance career as it's the great place to be.
Pros
Cons
Less work hours as part time
a respectful environment
Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 17, 2016
i worked a night shift with my mom in safeway where i cleaned the store after work hours. i enjoyed working there because i was around people i wanted to be with and it was a healthy and safe environment. i would like a part time job again.
Pros
good working hours
Cons
low salery
Very friendly environment
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2016
Great place to work but the hours are not enough. A typical day is steady , I've learned how to deal with people more,work as a team mate,I've learned to focus more on the customers less on the staff from management.
Pros
Union benefit
Cons
Short hrs
Great training environment
Management (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCApril 20, 2016
Great management training within the company!
I have always loved this company however in recent years my view has begin to shift. However after 3 years at the same location with no hint at upward movement or even a location transfer my love for the company has begun to strain.
Pros
Compensation, training
Cons
Working hours, little room for advancement
Great Management
Bakery Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 27, 2016
I loved my coworkers and managers but did not like the lack of hours. Went from working 20+ hours a week to 4.
I learned how to slice bread and package goods. I liked working as a team but did not like working by myself after everyone went home.
Pros
Free Baked-Goods
Cons
Not enough work hours
Enjoy working while get positive comments
deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 1, 2016
helpful management sometimes, co-worker provide helpful tips, customers are happy with my service. Now working at safeway very stressful. We cannot help customers as soon as possible. Because there are not enough employees to help them.
Pros
good benefit programm
Cons
stressful job
Constantly changing hours
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 26, 2016
My biggest gripe with the deli management was that they often changed the schedule without notice, and often within 2-3 days of the shift that was changing. Since they have no way to view the schedule online, they wanted me to come into work as many times as possible simply to check the schedule. Another thing is that I saw many people get fired a few days before their probation period of 3 months was up.

I usually worked the night shift (3:30 - midnight), and sometimes I stayed an hour longer to get everything done. The management insisted on me clocking out on time, even if I was to work later because of unfinished things.

The night shift has another perk; you are left on your own from 9:00 until midnight, meaning I often did not have a chance to take my 15 and 30 minute breaks.

If you work a night shift on a day where one of the employees working before you isn't all that competent, you'll get left with all their work. The management expects everything to be done by you, no matter what, even if you have to pick up other people's slack and work an extra hour without pay.

Something else I forgot to mention is that if you do not have time to take your 30 minute break (which is unpaid, so you have to clock out) they will want you to clock out, even if you are working.

I found that since there were already too few people to finish all the things required, the workers would almost always sacrifice cleanliness. Despite there being signs everywhere that read "clean every 4 hours", they would usually only get cleaned once or twice a day.

When you did get a chance
  more... to have a break, they had free stale doughnuts from the bakery.  less
Pros
free doughnuts, nice staff
Cons
terrible management, overworking you, and changing the schedule without notice.
Nice place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 27, 2016
Safeway is a good place to work. A typical day at work involved serving customers on the check stand, advertising promotions and answering any questions customers had. I thoroughly enjoyed working with my co-workers and interacting with the public.
Pros
Customer interaction
Flexible job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 15, 2015
A typical day at Safeway consists of interacting with customers and keeping the point of sale systems clean and providing customer service.

I have extended my knowledge on the point of sale system and improved my customer service skills. I also learned to do Payroll on Sobey's Kronos/SAP system and previously Safeway's SSH system. In addition, I have also learned how to do minimal bookkeeping skills.

The hardest part of the job is when it gets busy and you have to balance several customers when there isn't enough staff to accommodate individuals. Or when difficult customers and theft occur.

The people at Safeway are friendly and easily approachable, providing a comfortable environment.
Pros
nice coworkers
Cons
no benefits for part time workers unless 33+ hours for more than 13 weeks.
Awesome
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCAugust 5, 2016
Fun job, got to meet lots of new people. this job helped me stay busy

management was very kind and helped me out when i needed it

the hardest part of the job was being in the heat all day long

I enjoyed dealing with fruit
Pros
free lunches
....................
Department Manager Starbucks (Former Employee) –  Parkland Mall, Red Deer, ABMay 16, 2016
It was a job that I needed at the time although I would never become a lifer there. I put in hard working hours every day and tried to not get in people's way but all I got was yelled at.
Pros
unionized so there were breaks every 2 hrs
Cons
the management can be real jack donkeys (insert expletive here)
Enjoyable woking conditions
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Frances, ONJuly 12, 2016
Safeway was a good place to work. It had a lot of in-house training dealing with the job. Co-workers were easy to get along with and were helpful with job training.
Pros
Co-workers, training, using different equipment
productive work environment
Manager Trainee (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKAugust 12, 2016
physically demanding and rewarding job. I only want to leave because there is not many opportunities for growth and development past the stage I am already at.
Pros
great staff
Cons
no development
not enough staff
Starbucks Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 29, 2016
I enjoyed working there but we were always short staffed and no one wanting to take extra shifts. Did not always get breaks because of how short staffed and heavy lifting.
Pros
enjoyed the customers
Cons
short staffed
Good place to be with good coworkers.
Gas Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 13, 2016
A nice place to be. Not much advancement where I was but I like dealing with customers & the hours were good. Working for the company was good. Ok Managment.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Problem Customers
Productive, Efficient, Great Work Environment
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJuly 20, 2016
Great part time job with awesome management. Co-Workers get along well, all work as a team to accomplish joint tasks.
Pros
Flexible, Co-operative Boss, Great Supervisors
friendly environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 30, 2015
My co-workers and management are so friendly and we work like a family. My day ends so fast everyday talking with customers and serve them good service. i learned so many cultures n nautre of another countries people. the hardest part of job when its not busy n we have to stand just look around and wait for a customer. the most enjoyable part of the job is talking to customers n they are so friendly.
Pros
positive, multitasking
Cons
no cons
Fast-paced, energetic, challenging
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJuly 9, 2016
In my time at Safeway I have found the atmosphere to be one that I have thrived in. The energetic and fast-paced daily business has challenged me and brought out many of my best traits.