Safeway Employee Reviews

Great Pharmacy Environment
Retail Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 27, 2016
Excellent place to get started in the retail pharmacy career path. Pharmacists, technicians, and assistants all worked cohesively to ensure the best possible outcome in patient care.

The most enjoyable part of my job was coming in to work and knowing that something as simple as mixing a child's antibiotics could make a difference.
Pros
Excellent training, good atmosphere
Cons
Union controlled
productive,friendly coworker
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 28, 2016
working on a food service is not a joke..your dealing with food that everybody can eat.so it should be healthy and free from unwanted things or not good for the body.
co-workers is very friendly,we have different culture and we learn different things from each other.
productive work environment
Manager Trainee (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKAugust 12, 2016
physically demanding and rewarding job. I only want to leave because there is not many opportunities for growth and development past the stage I am already at.
Pros
great staff
Cons
no development
Better than Superstore judging from experience.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 12, 2016
Great Union.
Average coworker, some more than others.
Friendly Manger but not so friendly Assistant Manager at the time.
Miss working there sometimes beside the constant hassle.

Happy Retirement, Sir. :)
Pros
3.5/4 star
Cons
AM is not good person
not enough staff
Starbucks Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 29, 2016
I enjoyed working there but we were always short staffed and no one wanting to take extra shifts. Did not always get breaks because of how short staffed and heavy lifting.
Pros
enjoyed the customers
Cons
short staffed
very fun job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 18, 2016
I loved working in the Deli department at Safeway. I learned how to make many different salads, and pasta salads. I learned how to slice lunch meats and eventually knew how many slices equaled so much grams. I learned a lot about food safety and keeping things clean and sanitized. My co-workers were older and very particular, but were wonderful ladies to work with. The hardest part of working in the deli, was learning how to safely clean the meat slicer and cooking the whole chickens, as well as remembering all the codes to the products. The best part was learning how to make the Salads and prepping the display case
Pros
great hours and benifits
Cons
lots of work
Good place to be with good coworkers.
Gas Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 13, 2016
A nice place to be. Not much advancement where I was but I like dealing with customers & the hours were good. Working for the company was good. Ok Managment.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Problem Customers
Great, fun work space with enthusiastic co-workers
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCMay 4, 2016
The work environment at Safeway was enjoyable and safe. Everything was always organized and worked like a machine. Every day was busy but the great co-workers and management team helped relieve any issues that would emerge.
Can be challenging working with the public.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 1, 2016
Flexible hours that worked around family life. Easy going customers for the most part, but learned a lot about customer service while there for the past 18 years. Fun atmosphere at times. hard to stand in one place at times, and the items can get heavy, (case lot sales).
great people to work with.
Deli and seafood clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCApril 29, 2016
I enjoyed serving the customers and working with the great staff.I enjoyed preparing the food.This was a very high paced environment where we had to multitask.The hardest part was finding reliable staff.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
very physical work
Productive, Efficient, Great Work Environment
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJuly 20, 2016
Great part time job with awesome management. Co-Workers get along well, all work as a team to accomplish joint tasks.
Pros
Flexible, Co-operative Boss, Great Supervisors
Fast-paced, energetic, challenging
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJuly 9, 2016
In my time at Safeway I have found the atmosphere to be one that I have thrived in. The energetic and fast-paced daily business has challenged me and brought out many of my best traits.
Productive and fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 11, 2016
I really enjoyed going into work and cleaning up and organizing everything as well as assisted with answering phones and filing. Run by awesome people, over all great place to work
Pros
free food, great salary, short days
Cons
far from my house
Better than Nothing
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 2, 2016
The paychecks don't bounce and the schedules get put up regularly, which is more than I can say for my last job.

The union fees puts your pay below minimum wage...for nothing exactly apparent in benefits.

Managers intentionally schedule you to give you as few hours as possible and leave the store understaffed. You'll never get enough hours to qualify for any of the benefits, except maybe in summer.
Pros
Paid Breaks
Cons
Limited Hours, High Union Fees
Good hours, room for advancement, not a bad job.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Medicine HatMay 11, 2016
Typical days at work were simple, most of the tasks i was assigned were easy and quick. I learned how to operate a cash register, as well as increased exposure and practice in the customer service fields. Management was always positive and easy to get along with, however getting tough answers out of them proved difficult at times.
My co-workers were always helpful and easy to work with, they did whatever they could to help out one another. The hardest part of my job was getting tough answers out of management, they lacked grit and toughness in certain situations. They seemed too eager to please everyone at times and thus certain problems were left unfixed and not solved. The most enjoyable part of my job was the amount of trust I was given, I was able to work individually and indepenenatly when the situation called for it.
Pros
Lots of hours, flexible hours, good discounts, flexible break times, lots of room and opportunity for advancement
Cons
Lack of grit and tenacity from management
hard place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2016
I was Cashier. Lot of product numbers. Some managers were hard to talk to. Co-workers were great. The hardest part was memorizing the produce and bakery codes. I enjoyed working with the puplic.
Fun work place with lots of interactions
Deli (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABApril 4, 2016
The job was fun with lots of costumer interactions. The co-workers came from different family types with lots of story's to tell. The most enjoyable part of the day was getting to find out what new meats were coming out.
Pros
short shifts
Cons
too little hours
Fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCAugust 23, 2016
The best part of the job was my co workers, they were all friendly and outgoing. Worst part was working so late, it closes at 12 so we were usually there until 1230.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Long Hours
positive work experience
Delicatessen/Meat Cutter/Seafood Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  new westministerJune 24, 2016
It's a great place to work and gives great work experience. Great atmosphere suitable for learning and positivity and all areas.
fun place to learn
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 2, 2016
This place was easy to follow tasks. The hours were reasonable. The staff were friendly. The benifits were awesome. I was happy to be offered extra hours or change in days to work if needed.
Pros
freindly place
Cons
far location