Safeway Employee Reviews in Canada

A good place to work
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCNovember 7, 2015
Fun place to work, always learning something new. A lot of knowledge gained in the years I worked there. Flexibility was a plus. I realised I wanted more for my life then just a retail career.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Hours of shifts
good working environment
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, ABNovember 25, 2015
working at safeway was fun, however they do not hire full time if i could i would apply again in a minute. great management
Pros
greatwork place
Cons
lack of hours
Productive, top grocery company, very well paid with good benefits
1ST Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond B.C, Ladner B.C.March 9, 2015
Starting at Safeway in 1980 as a 16 yr old I thought I died and went to heaven as that time working for Safeway was akin to working at the Pulp Mill in that the wages were very very lucrative. I started from the bottom and moved my way to close to the top as a 1st assistant manager with stops in West Vancouver, Richmond, Abbotsford, Chilliwack and finally South Delta.
The recession of 2008/2009 helped with my demise plus a change in the management structure was underway.
Besides all that though, Canada Safeway was very good for me and my family as it has allowed us to do things we wouldn't be able to if not for Canada Safeway.
Pros
very well reimbursed monetarily while helping with investment choices
Cons
long hours and sometimes a long commute
Great training environment
Management (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCApril 20, 2016
Great management training within the company!
I have always loved this company however in recent years my view has begin to shift. However after 3 years at the same location with no hint at upward movement or even a location transfer my love for the company has begun to strain.
Pros
Compensation, training
Cons
Working hours, little room for advancement
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Canada, Calgary 130th aveJuly 1, 2015
A typical work day, would start with clocking in then talking to you manager and hearing about any new promotions going on at work, contest..etc. Then you would go to you're till and start working most favourite part was when I was in the till and got to interact with all the different costumers that came through. Break you get to interact with you're co-workers which was nice, asking about their day knowing more about them. Everyone was friendly. Hardest part of the job would be when it is around thanksgiving and they is a lot of turkeys to lift and bag, but it wasn't so bad.
Pros
Great managment team
Cons
short hours giving
Productive, Fast Paced Environment
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONMarch 22, 2016
Great place to work, people are friendly. Learning is never ending, as we're expected to learn qujckly and be self sufficient.
Hardest part of the job is the after hours work schedule.
Most enjoyable is interacting with the public on a continual basis! :)
Pros
Variety of duties to keep you on your toes
Cons
Early mornings and After 5pm shifts
Great Company to work for
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  CalgarySeptember 26, 2015
I worked for this company for 12 years, they pay weekly and plenty of room for advancement. the down side to this company is that they move you from location to location where u may be needed so you are never in just one store.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
moved around alot
Productive workplace that is consistent with workflow
Cashier/Bakery Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 3, 2015
Safeway is like any other grocery store, but focuses on customer service over anything else. All of the departments put concentration into serving the customers and fulfilling their needs.
Pros
Monthly coupon benefits
Cons
Reduced Hours
Busy environment
Cashier/Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 23, 2016
Busy working place. Learned with all the different walks of life with all different people. Co workers are fun to work with. Every single day is the most enjoyable day there is a hard part which is dealing with complains and try to solve the problems which is our learning grounds as well.
Can be challenging working with the public.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 1, 2016
Flexible hours that worked around family life. Easy going customers for the most part, but learned a lot about customer service while there for the past 18 years. Fun atmosphere at times. hard to stand in one place at times, and the items can get heavy, (case lot sales).
Fun work place with lots of interactions
Deli (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABApril 4, 2016
The job was fun with lots of costumer interactions. The co-workers came from different family types with lots of story's to tell. The most enjoyable part of the day was getting to find out what new meats were coming out.
Pros
short shifts
Cons
too little hours
Challenging and rewarding
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 14, 2016
Rewarding and fulfilling place to work. I have enjoyed the people I have worked with. We have saw many changes as a company and have enjoyed learning new skills.
Pros
challenging
Cons
Shift work
Hard and Stressful
Assistant Head Meat Cutter (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 16, 2015
Safeway is a great place if you want to progress your career as a meatcutter. However progression is slow. The work is intense and very stressful. expect to be pushed to your limits
Good learning experience
Pharamacy Assitant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 4, 2016
Co-workers are nice to work with. I have learned all aspects of being a Pharmacy Assistant. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction that I have been able to help someone.
Fun but stressful workplace. (so yeah figure that one out)
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 26, 2016
I do not like most of my co-workers, there is only few that I like. Most of my co-workers are bad at what they do (work). The hardest part of the job is working with people who do not want to work.
Cons
No discounts, hours are cut
Was alright despite all the drama
Supervisor, File Maintenance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 29, 2016
it was okay, most customers were nice and co-workers nice most of the time. not too hard of work. a typical day at work was to get ready and serve customers for up to 20 hours a week.
Management not very helpful
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fort St. JohnSeptember 12, 2015
Mostly employees working alone no manager working along side.
Sometimes its fun. Usually management gives you like 5 tasks and expects them to be done by the time you're done and they don't give you any assistance.
Pros
Can be fun
Cons
Management Sucks
Very enjoyable.
Floral Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 24, 2015
I did all the work that was assigned to me - preparation of flowers, customer service, fruit baskets, cashier, watering plants. I liked my co-workers and management. The hardest part of the job was the amount of knowledge needed to be in this department. There was nothing I disliked about my job.
Pros
Union job
Cons
Competition for job
Was not what I was looking for.
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMarch 13, 2016
I met a few good people. I learned a lot about myself and about retail. It is time to experience something new now.

I am aiming to take what I learned from my time at Safeway to better myself.
productive and fun to work
Fuel Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 16, 2015
Its a good place to work as a start of your career where you can get experience of customer service skills and creates a very good interaction with new and different types people.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
full 8 hours