Safeway Employee Reviews in Canada

Cashier (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABMarch 15, 2016
I enjoyed working at Safeway. I got along with my co workers. The management was good. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers.
Challenging and rewarding
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 14, 2016
Rewarding and fulfilling place to work. I have enjoyed the people I have worked with. We have saw many changes as a company and have enjoyed learning new skills.
Pros
challenging
Cons
Shift work
Was not what I was looking for.
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMarch 13, 2016
I met a few good people. I learned a lot about myself and about retail. It is time to experience something new now.

I am aiming to take what I learned from my time at Safeway to better myself.
Fun workplace
Starbucks Coffee Barista (Current Employee) –  200 Stewart Green SW, Calgary, AlbertaMarch 6, 2016
I enjoy working at Safeway Starbucks as a barista. I try to stay positive and listen to the customers first and suggest healthy menus.
Pros
Flexible schedule
very productive with great co workers.
Cashier/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMarch 3, 2016
When i worked for Safeway in Surrey BC, i had a great time working along side my co workers. I learned different cultures and got to know usual customers and their needs.
Enjoy working while get positive comments
deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 1, 2016
helpful management sometimes, co-worker provide helpful tips, customers are happy with my service. Now working at safeway very stressful. We cannot help customers as soon as possible. Because there are not enough employees to help them.
Pros
good benefit programm
Cons
stressful job
Fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMarch 1, 2016
I enjoyed dealing with the public! I would always try and make sure the customer's were happy, and found everything they were looking for.
Was alright despite all the drama
Supervisor, File Maintenance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 29, 2016
it was okay, most customers were nice and co-workers nice most of the time. not too hard of work. a typical day at work was to get ready and serve customers for up to 20 hours a week.
Great Pharmacy Environment
Retail Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 27, 2016
Excellent place to get started in the retail pharmacy career path. Pharmacists, technicians, and assistants all worked cohesively to ensure the best possible outcome in patient care.

The most enjoyable part of my job was coming in to work and knowing that something as simple as mixing a child's antibiotics could make a difference.
Pros
Excellent training, good atmosphere
Cons
Union controlled
Constantly changing hours
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 26, 2016
My biggest gripe with the deli management was that they often changed the schedule without notice, and often within 2-3 days of the shift that was changing. Since they have no way to view the schedule online, they wanted me to come into work as many times as possible simply to check the schedule. Another thing is that I saw many people get fired a few days before their probation period of 3 months was up.

I usually worked the night shift (3:30 - midnight), and sometimes I stayed an hour longer to get everything done. The management insisted on me clocking out on time, even if I was to work later because of unfinished things.

The night shift has another perk; you are left on your own from 9:00 until midnight, meaning I often did not have a chance to take my 15 and 30 minute breaks.

If you work a night shift on a day where one of the employees working before you isn't all that competent, you'll get left with all their work. The management expects everything to be done by you, no matter what, even if you have to pick up other people's slack and work an extra hour without pay.

Something else I forgot to mention is that if you do not have time to take your 30 minute break (which is unpaid, so you have to clock out) they will want you to clock out, even if you are working.

I found that since there were already too few people to finish all the things required, the workers would almost always sacrifice cleanliness. Despite there being signs everywhere that read "clean every 4 hours", they would usually only get cleaned once or twice a day.

When you did get a chance
  more... to have a break, they had free stale doughnuts from the bakery.  less
Pros
free doughnuts, nice staff
Cons
terrible management, overworking you, and changing the schedule without notice.
good beginner Job
Deli assistant (Former Employee) –  Trail, BCFebruary 18, 2016
not an ideal job for a long term job
job cannot support a life as in paying rent for a house cause you do not make enough but you do learn a lot and get to use your people skills or work on them
very fun job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 18, 2016
I loved working in the Deli department at Safeway. I learned how to make many different salads, and pasta salads. I learned how to slice lunch meats and eventually knew how many slices equaled so much grams. I learned a lot about food safety and keeping things clean and sanitized. My co-workers were older and very particular, but were wonderful ladies to work with. The hardest part of working in the deli, was learning how to safely clean the meat slicer and cooking the whole chickens, as well as remembering all the codes to the products. The best part was learning how to make the Salads and prepping the display case
Pros
great hours and benifits
Cons
lots of work
Productive and fun place to work
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABFebruary 14, 2016
Always looked forward going to work. Learned more skills here. My co-workers were enjoyable. Had good managers of the store.
Pros
Having a boss that cared about his employees
Cons
A solid place to work, where teamwork is a plus.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day at Safeway was starting your shift as you relieved the other cashier. You worked for 2 hours then got your first 15 minute break, though sometimes it could differ a bit and you might have to wait up to an extra 30 minutes before you got your break. Lunch was a half hour break usually would depend on the order of when who started, people who started at 8 am went first obviously. The last 15 minute break was around 2 hours after lunch. During the day you would simply put customers through your till in a polite and fast way. When you had no customers you would tidy up your till area and organize the front of shelf's in front of your till.

You learn how to better your communication skills, including people skills team work skills problem solving as well as how to handle money.

Management was fair for the most part, only one of the managers was unpleasant.

Almost every co-worker was nice and fun to be around. We all helped each other out.

The most difficult part of the job was when you had to deal with an upset costumer. Or the busy 2 hours from 4pm-6pm.

The most enjoyable aspect was simply working with people you got along with.
Pros
Friendly enviroment
Cons
Possible angry customers
Good learning experience
Pharamacy Assitant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 4, 2016
Co-workers are nice to work with. I have learned all aspects of being a Pharmacy Assistant. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction that I have been able to help someone.
Better than Nothing
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 2, 2016
The paychecks don't bounce and the schedules get put up regularly, which is more than I can say for my last job.

The union fees puts your pay below minimum wage...for nothing exactly apparent in benefits.

Managers intentionally schedule you to give you as few hours as possible and leave the store understaffed. You'll never get enough hours to qualify for any of the benefits, except maybe in summer.
Pros
Paid Breaks
Cons
Limited Hours, High Union Fees
Pushing carts wasnt soo bad
GENERAL CLERK (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 27, 2016
I enjoyed working at safeway, i didnt mind retreiving carts and baskets, i would have liked to do more though. I would definitely work there again
Fun but stressful workplace. (so yeah figure that one out)
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 26, 2016
I do not like most of my co-workers, there is only few that I like. Most of my co-workers are bad at what they do (work). The hardest part of the job is working with people who do not want to work.
Cons
No discounts, hours are cut
Great and busy place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 24, 2016
It was busy day at work. It was all about daily teller service. Hard work but really enjoyable in the way to get more ideas about grocery business.
Busy environment
Cashier/Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 23, 2016
Busy working place. Learned with all the different walks of life with all different people. Co workers are fun to work with. Every single day is the most enjoyable day there is a hard part which is dealing with complains and try to solve the problems which is our learning grounds as well.