Safeway Employee Reviews

Other stores are better managed
2nd Lead Hand (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 March 2017
Night crew now does the bulk of the heavy lifting.
I learned
task management, team management, time management, management communications
proper heavy lifting
conflict resolution
Pros
lifting
Cons
in competencies in the company
An okay place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2017
The job its self is very easy, I wish that it was easer to move up in the work place but its all about seniority which means that there is very little possibility of raises, and better hours unless your willing to commit to working there your entire life
fun and great coworkeres
assist in loading and unloading trucks (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 December 2016
Picking and stacking products on pallets, preparing pallets for shipment, constant lifting and carrying of product. Prior power jack experience is an asset but not a requirement. Extensive heavy lifting is required.
Productive fun working environent
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC14 February 2017
Really good benefits worked for ten years i just would have stayed longer if i could have got moved to mission. A good place to work fast and friendly. It was was ten minutes away from home then we moved one hour away from work.
Too much gossip and cut throat
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Manitoba5 March 2017
Toxic environment. Job was okay but seemed like you always watched your back with who you talked to. Managment was awful as well as hr. Glad I left after 6 years; best decision I ever made.
Cons
Back stabbing, poor management, and on and on.
Productive workplace where all employees looked after each other and were friends
Cashier, Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB10 September 2016
A typical day at work started with greeting customers and helping them find what they needed to find. I learned that hard work and dedication can get you a long way. The management at this establishment was really friendly and always encouraged you too do your best. My co-workers were extremely serviceable they always tried their hardest to please the customers. The hardest part of the job was not being able to satisfy the customers needs. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping out customers fill their needs and seeing them leave happy.
Pros
Fun environment to work in
Cons
short hours
Positive teamwork
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
Very positive work atmosphere and very much like a team. Not enough hours a week. I love hearing different accents and seeing different people from all around the world, cons, some people are very unpleasant and hard to cooperate with.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
working hours too short
A good company to start a professional career
Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB6 September 2016
I enjoy working knowing i am with good people around and i find it very rewarding to meet customers and assist them with satisfaction.The Management i work with are all team player, very compassionate and professional individuals. Treatment was fair and judgment on all cases are based on facts and governed by policies. The hardest part of my work is when employee/s assigned to work suddenly don't come to work and we have to work for their work or injure too much lifting and bending as things has to be done right away.
Pros
great compensation package governed by Union policies
Cons
too much lifitngs and bendings
Continued learning with productivity
Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB6 September 2016
Current work is more physically demanding. Quite strenuous considering the nature of the business. I enjoy working with several employees and find it more interesting to be acquainted with different people. I end my day knowing at least that i get to serve our customers with satisfaction and leave my work with a SMILE just as when i got started.
Pros
Unionized company with good benefits
Cons
too much liftings and bendings
Awesome p[lace to work and great co-workers
FORKLIFT DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 February 2017
i would pick orders from a forklift, paper, water and numerous other products. quiet place to work and great pay. the hardest part of that job if i had to say would have been the hours i would have to work.

Want to know more about Safeway?

Ask a question
to many people protected by union.
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK11 January 2017
fun environment, but lots of lazy people who are protected by union. most work is done by a small group of people while others are slow to move. Could have been fixed with better managment
Pros
union based raises
Cons
lazy staff
productive
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
As a cashier, whenever there used to be long lines up, all the employees were ready to help including managers. it was always a team work spirit.

I was even transferred to safeway Starbucks, on request asi wanted to experence a different division.
Pros
we celebrated any occasions with joint treats from the management & employees
Cons
there was no long hrs
only good if you know someone there
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 January 2017
management only takes care of management.. if an employee comes with something serious they need to address they brush it off especially if its about there manager. they refuse to see bad in people management staff..
first job
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 February 2017
As my first job it was an alright experience. I was let go however due to the fact I did not get the correct training and I did not know how to do some task. I asked how you do them and they were unable to show me the correct procedure.
It's okay
Produce Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  British Columbia20 October 2016
Department mangers were great. Store management was not. They hire more people then they need but no one gets any hours as a cashier because they don't want to pay benefits for full time employees. If you need a part time job or are going to school its fine. If you need full time. Work as a clerk or in produce.
not a good place to work
Counsel patients, Medication reviews (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 January 2017
Not a good place to work...suggested by other pharmacist not to take my lunch break many times....professionals putting blame on assistants when they are not checking properly prescriptions...
fun work place
Fuel Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 December 2016
I really enjoyed the people I worked with. They made each day easy going and fun. The customer service that Safeway provides is phenomenal. I always had regular customers that you eventually got to know personally.
Pros
great staff
Cons
wages
Gret environment.
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 March 2017
Great place to work, nice atmosphere and co-workers. First time in a meat department and learning lots,enjoy serving customers and answering questions.
Pros
Good breaks. Short commute, close to home.
Cons
Could use more hours.
nice workplace with co-operative staff
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC30 November 2016
it fun working with the safeway,staff is qute co operating and inetresting thungs to learn everyday .The payscale was also good,i was able to get time off which i requested for. all in all it was good there
Pros
stat pays
Cons
closing shifts
Very Accomodating
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC17 January 2017
Worked here while going to school at Kwantlen. There was a lot of respect towards shifts working with my school schedules.Managers were nice and co-workers were pleasant. Safeway wasn't a bad place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.