Safeway Employee Reviews

N/a
Warehouse Picker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
It was great work environment. I enjoy it while I was there. The hours were great. Work life and home life was okay. Safeway is now Sobeys. Sobeys has a different head office.
Excellent company to work for; we worked hard but our efforts were appreciated.
Journeyman Baker/Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK and Calgary AB26 May 2016
Enjoyed my time there. Company was very accommodating during time I was dealing with elderly parents. Truly miss the people I worked with.
Pros
Benefits/training/opportunities for advancement.
Cons
Varied and sometimes demanding schedules.
An enjoyable but busy atmosphere.
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 May 2016
A typical day of work used to be working with one or two other people on the weekend and working on your own for three hours out of a four hour shift on the weekend. It changed so that one was working by oneself for most of an eight hour shift on the weekend, leading to excess stress and making time management difficult.
While working with co-workers or working by oneself time management and efficiency were learned to enable one to make one drink in as little as thirty seconds.
Management in the kiosk was usually good. Upon switching to the downtown Red Deer location, the manager was careless about scheduling.
Co-workers were friendly and helpful.
The hardest part of the job was being scheduled to work alone on a very busy day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to taste test new drinks.
Best Job I've Had
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 May 2016
Grocery & Retail are not my normal lines of work. I put my resume online and was contact by Safeway for an interview so I went. I passed the screening and was selected for hiring and eventual training.

The training process was smooth and well-oiled. I became a proficient cashier, nearly, and consistently, doubling normal sales in under 90 days. My speed, accuracy and mystery shopper reviews had opened doors into specialized positions.

As a file maintenance personnel, I had been given a lot more freedom to grow, manoeuvre, and be creative so long as it fell within the job parameters.

I sought work in the corporate sector but fell short in education. I pursued that education but lost my position. My education had opened further doors to which I pursued.
Pros
Hours, Benefits, Atmosphere, Structured, Secured
Cons
Co-worker drama, primarily a female job
great place to work
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB12 December 2016
A very busy pace... great group of people to work with. Lots of learning opportunities. With an excellent safety culture.
Pros
face pace
Cons
reail hours
Gained experience and excellent costumer service.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 September 2016
In my present job, i learned how to be responsible and extremely reliable. My costumer service skills improved and I connected with my costumers and realized how important it is to engage with every one, so they feel welcome and make them want to come back.
I grew an excellent friendship with my co-workers and supervisor, always was treated fair and welcome. It was always a fun day working with them all at once, but there is days where i work alone and have to work a lot more harder without help, but it wouldn't stop me from getting the job done. In a day of a shift is constantly standing, rushing and creating a great presentation. occasionally lifting, pulling and pushing. Definitely a fast paced environment which i didn't mind at all.
Pros
Buying the product i made and started eating healither
Cons
short shifts and low income
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MB13 January 2017
A typical day at work would be getting there 15 minutes early to change into my uniform and then going to clock in. I would ask where they would need me right away and then continue to do what they asked. After that i would spend my shift in a till helping customers. At the end of the day i would sign out and say goodbye to my co-workers while proceeding to get unchanged and go home.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
long time standing in one place
good environment
Cashier/Server (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 October 2016
My coworkers were very nice and helpful I loved contributing to new ideas and helping out with file management. The managers were very kind and helpful people
Hurray for Safeway
Baker (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC8 October 2016
The Safeway Bakery its a great place to learn for all coming upstarts that want a career with Safeway or in the Bakery Field. Great Environment, great staff would recommend.
Just fun for people of they're on country
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2016
There is no chance to work for this company, specially when is running by people from India or Pakistan they only hire people from their country. Specially Saddle Ridge Location at Calgary AB.
I had bad experience when I applied there, and as a customer I notices the lack of customer service skills.
Pros
Lucky people who already have a job with good benefits
Cons
People with out consideration
good job. keeps you busy.
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC11 October 2016
Typical day at work was setting up display and preparing self serve cases and cleaning. Helping customers and being good with customer service is essential. the people at this particular store in the seafood / meat department are top notch, quality people to work with. about an hour before close you take down display and sweep, mop the area and clean and sanitize. Never needing to work passed 6pm was very pleasing for work / life balance.
Pros
You get a paid coffee break every 2 hours of work. Union job.
Cons
Dull. Can be boring if you're used to outdoors, adventurous work.
regular pace at moving around the building
stocking shelves (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB25 January 2017
clock in on time as always, get started on sorting out food products for the shelves to be stocked. i also learned the basics of knowing where food product came from and knowing where its to be place in groceries store. getting to other in work area gave us all a chance to get to know one another in work area. i enjoyed the friendliness of fellow co workers and the convenient of making new friends.
Fun environment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2016
One of the best jobs I had, the people and environment was awesome, the money and hours weren't bad at all in the beginning. Each month, my hours go shorter and shorter, and my manager didn't seem to care at all that I was having a hard time paying rent and living in general. my advice would to apply for full time, unless you live with your parents and don't mind working 4 hours a week.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Short hours
Great Job
manager- Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 September 2016
great company to work. I was trained very well by my mentor. Great benefits and and flexible working hours. Worked there for 2 years, but now its time to move on.
Safeway and me
General Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC19 June 2016
Well... I worked for Safeway for 10 long years. The first year as a lowly courtesy clerk was alright. The next 4 however slowly deteriorated from alright to unpleasant to thank god I'm moving. As a courtesy clerk I was pushing carts, bagging groceries, helping customers, sweeping, cleaning up spills, and removing graffiti from bathroom stalls with hairspray, That was an interesting learning experience as hairspray actually breaks up ink and stuff! And of course cleaning bathrooms and the lunch room, and garbage's I got paid a maximum of $13.50 up from $11.17 in those five years. The 'benefits' were only available to people working 30 hours for 13 weeks on average. I got those benefits about 5 times. The benefits themselves started out decent. I got an air miles employee card which gave me just under 4000 air miles, that is until they stopped giving air miles as a benefit. Safeway benefits in my experience are not very good. Medical is a huge pain to try to use. Dental too. And that's about it. Other than pension of course. After I moved, I ended up working for Safeway again for 4 3/4 years. A new store, new people. It was so much better.. The atmosphere in that store was positive, and friendly. The work culture was very good. Not too serious. Staff could sing, joke, laugh. It was great! Mostly. In those years I was paid more than ever! Friends were to made everywhere too. The hardest part of working for Safeway as a courtesy clerk was doing the carts. The winters were brutal as there were 2-3 feet of snow. But those carts needed to be done. The hardest part in the last few years  more... was learning all of the positions in the store. I was here, there, and everywhere. It really depends on the store. I would recommend working for Safeway as a survival job. But some end up working there for 30-50 years. It depends on the person I guess. In both stores the management was rather unorganized. Also the managers should be trained better in diplomacy, tact, and in a manner that doesn't create too much ego in the management trainee. If you get hired and like it then awesome! If not there's other opportunities out there. I myself wouldn't work there again, unless there wouldn't be any other choice. So there ya have it. My stellar, and amazing, spectacular, and totally rad review of Safeway.  less
Pros
If you earn safety awards you get free lunch, Depending on the store the people can be awesome, you learn customer service which can actually make you a better person if you let it, Safeway acceptes all people into the company.
Cons
Benifits could benifit with an overhaul, Hours can and will be cut, Hours can be long, Management could be better organised and better trained
Very friendly environment
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 August 2016
Great place to work but the hours are not enough. A typical day is steady , I've learned how to deal with people more,work as a team mate,I've learned to focus more on the customers less on the staff from management.
Pros
Union benefit
Cons
Short hrs
Worst experience of my life; don't work here!
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 September 2016
Pros:

-Coworkers are generally pretty nice and helpful. They are what makes the job bearable.

-Most customers are kind people and the really friendly ones can make your day. It's nice to have people genuinely smile at you.

-It's unionized.

-Always hiring, even in the bad economy. They will literally take anyone. If you're in dire straits, then you can work for minimum wage and not freeze to death while you wait for even McDonalds or Walmart to give you a call.

Cons:
Where to begin... long rant ahead.

-Training was awful. They sent me to a store 20km away from the store I was to be employed at, which was ridiculous. The trainer was a nasty sexiest woman who took pleasure in knocking people down and then kicking them while they were down there. She only critiqued women who were training (particularly overweight women) and either ignored questions or got angry when you did ask. She wanted people to jump in with only a minute or two maximum of instruction, but if people made mistakes, she chewed them out. All-in-all, it was a miserable experience to be involved in. There were times I felt like throwing my uniform in the trash and quitting in a fantastical manner and this was only the first week. It got worse from here.
--You get treated much the same in your store (although your supervisor is unlikely to be as bad as the cruel egomaniacs that they have who do the training), only you're expected to do much more without ever asking for guidance.

-They expect you to know everything very early on (think within ten minutes of your first training day) and to not
  more... make any mistakes or inconvenience people by asking for assistance, particularly one-on-one assistance.

-They tell you to ask questions when you need help, but often times they ignore you.

-You work on your own very early on which is incredibly stressful

-The pay is terrible, there are no benefits, and the hours are really long.

-It hurts to be on your feet all day.

-Company rules and policies about things like earrings and other piercings, tattoos, hair colour, scruff and beards, social media, etc. are ridiculous and outdated. Having to believe in the brand without ever critically discussing it is incredibly wrong. No wonder safeway is losing tons of customers to Walmart.

-The store and breakroom are outdated; the lockers are all busted (and thus there are no safe places to store valuables), there are no windows, the chairs are uncomfortable, small and crowded fridge, etc.

-Management uses secret shoppers which is a really nasty thing to do, particularly to new employees who are just learning. I've seen people sobbing in the washroom from this treatment. It sucks to tell them about this practice that the company denies but clearly does. Most of these people quit within a month which results in extremely high rates of turnover and resulted in even more stress.

-Mean customers who act like you exist to wait on them hand, foot, and finger. Thankfully this is rare; you might get one person like this out of fifty during an eight hour shift.

-The store is dirty; greasy floors in the deli area (so bad that I almost slipped even with brand new non-skid shoes with grip tape on them) with tons of garbage on them and on the counters. Handwashing and proper glove procedure is rarely enforced and when you inadvertently make a hygiene mistake (which could have been prevented with proper reinforcement early on) that someone notices, they will be harsh in their treatment of you, be it a know-it-all customer or lazy supervisors who pick that one moment to humiliate you in front of others.

-They throw out a ton of food and keep the ovens on 24/7 which is terrible for the environment. No matter what I said, they were never willing to look at alternatives.

-Things were very disorganized. The clock in machine rejected people half the time, the schedule varied like crazy, there were always either too many or too few people working. There were never enough medium and large sized gloves. Breaks tended to be at random times and varied from shift to shift. Always tons of turnover which makes keeping up hard. Can't see the labels on the products which means that people who don't or can't memorize what products look like constantly have to ask customers for help which can be very annoying for them.

-This is petty, but the uniform is ugly and uncomfortable. I got a rash from where the seam rubbed my shoulder.
Safeway is my learning school.
Frontend Cashier and Grocery clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 August 2016
Well, I don't have any bad experience but ya there were some hectic days when i was getting tired before my shift, though it was a good learning experience. I was working as a grocery clerk and I have leant how to put groceries that it looks good and properly arranged. How we order our groceries and how we decide the price and discounts. We change every end t the end of the month so it is long process.
The most enjoyable part of the job is my collegues. They teach me everything. They are always there for me to solve my problems, my doubts and the atmosphere of the work-place.
Pros
Have been learning about team work at work-place
Cons
Not really
Productive job and great learning experience
Safeway Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mission, BC5 January 2017
Safeway is a wonderful job for a first job.
I learned better people skills and communication skills and how to deal with upset customers.
I worked with friendly and helpful coworkers and they made it easier to do my job right while also helping with anything I needed.
great place to work..
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB3 September 2016
a good company and great people around.store managers are very approchable and they offer a good benefits for the workers..they have a clean workplace