Safeway Employee Reviews

depend on manager
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK10 October 2017
I worked two locations of Safeway pharmacy. One location was very chaotic, some people working, some people setting. Another one, everyone knows what means term work, and the manager knows how to work with different characters.
Pros
some staff nice
Cons
management
A good place to work.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 October 2017
Working at Safeway you see all sorts of things, many positive, some not so much. Customer service is a top priority, even when dealing with unruly customers. Good management, some good coworkers, an okay place to work overall.
Good hours but poor benefits.
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 October 2017
I found the hours to be very flexible for part-time workers but there was no store discount and the health and dental benefits were not good for part-time workers.
fast paced and easy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC9 October 2017
job requires you to stand for long hours doing somewhat repetitive work, good for a part time position while in school. pay is good and breaks are well coordinated.
Steady job, but low pay
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC6 October 2017
Lots of multitasking. Deli was often understaffed when I worked there so there is a lot of work to do. If I had the choice I would work as a cashier or stock clerk instead. Same pay but less demanding.
Pros
Unionized
Cons
Low paying
blah
Cashier/ Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB6 October 2017
Safeway was not exactly a very good experience, many of the customers were either mean or could not be satisfied, the management was very strict, and only a few coworkers were friendly
Not flexible with school schedule, treated like a number.
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON5 October 2017
Wasn't a huge fan of this place. Management only like each other, and they get upset when you come to them with issues about scheduling. They expect you to put work before school.
definitely a highschooler's job, or people unlucky enough to get trapped in the loop.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 October 2017
management is constantly rotated for training making it impossible for managers to really know the store, laziness is rampant due to union protection, and generally not a great place to work for long periods of time. If you really need extra money, this would be an alright place to work in the meantime.
Pros
easy work, decent people most of the time
Cons
zero flexabilty, erratic schedule changes with no confirmation, very limited benefits
Pharmacy Assistant
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB2 October 2017
Enjoyable Staff with very good scheduling, also able to work around family problems and in general needing time off.
Busy and Clean very efficient in their Work and the way they treat their staff. By far one of my favourite jobs
Very friendly and professional
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  South Surrey, BC30 September 2017
Schedules are made far in advance so you do not have to worry about not having your schedule. The co-workers are very friendly and kind. There is regular staff working their shifts so you only get to work the shifts they do not work.
Love the benefits for union
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK29 September 2017
Safeway is a very good starter job because you don't need experience. I went in person and gave my resume and about two weeks later i got a call for an interview. Got hired on the spot. I liked about 90% of staff that was my favourite thing about the job. I hated customers because they always claimed on how their groceries were packed. Breaks were usually on time and it was a friendly environment to work.
Pros
They were pretty good with you taking sick time or booking days off. Never had a problem with that.
Cons
Unhappy customers and hated some of the supervisors
okay
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB27 September 2017
i learned how to cut meats , make different types of salads, sandwiches that I've never heard of or made before so that was interesting to learn new foods
Great
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 September 2017
was good used to get lot of customers before they had the supercenter so shifts flied by quick pending on location great customers never have to think about work once your shift ends
The work is easy once you get into the groove.
PRODUCE CLERK (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 September 2017
Safeway is an alright place to work if you enjoy the freedom of choosing when your breaks are and they offer a decent work life balance as long as you provide adequate notice.
Safeway is enjoyable
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC26 September 2017
I enjoyed working for Safeway it is the same as any grocery store just different prices the manager were great the employees were awesome I made some good friends
Good place for my first job, coworkers and managers made my time fun.
PRODUCE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 September 2017
Good place for my first job, everyone was helpful and friendly. Learned a lot about produce, from, up keeping, packaging, and culling. Good job overall.
Pros
People
Cons
Hours
Good working enviorment
Processed sales through cash, debit/credit cards (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB20 September 2017
I found that working with the company is good, everyone is friendly towards one another. The downside to the job is that the starting wage isn't what i thought it would be.
intense environment
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC17 September 2017
- 8 hour shifts
-always something to do no standing around
-learned good management skills
-hardest part was trying to please everyone
-enjoyed seeing happy costumers
Place where you can grow
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 September 2017
Nice and friendly staff to work with it..
Very fast Pace environment.
Part time and full time benefits are great..
Management in safeway is great they know what they want.
terrible work environment.
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2017
They don't train their employees properly. They expected me to do the work of three different people. I was promised a promotion that was never given. The hours were not good and I only got full time hours when their were on holidays. No benefits. I was treated poorly and still in one year didn't miss a shift. I had no choice for my own mental health too leave there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.