Safeway Employee Reviews

Gained experience and excellent costumer service.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 September 2016
In my present job, i learned how to be responsible and extremely reliable. My costumer service skills improved and I connected with my costumers and realized how important it is to engage with every one, so they feel welcome and make them want to come back.
I grew an excellent friendship with my co-workers and supervisor, always was treated fair and welcome. It was always a fun day working with them all at once, but there is days where i work alone and have to work a lot more harder without help, but it wouldn't stop me from getting the job done. In a day of a shift is constantly standing, rushing and creating a great presentation. occasionally lifting, pulling and pushing. Definitely a fast paced environment which i didn't mind at all.
Pros
Buying the product i made and started eating healither
Cons
short shifts and low income
Safeway
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB10 September 2016
Learned how to work efficietly with others, quality work and responsibility.
Learned some customer service skills if i was ever asked a question
Learned to keep a clean, stress free work environment.
There was no hard parts about the job.
Used those electronic stock guns
everyone i workedwith was nice
Pros
Walk to work, flexible hours, nice people.
Loved it
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 August 2016
I really enjoyed working for Safeway. Safeway was my very first official job. My co-workers were always a pleasure to work with. The part I enjoyed most about working for Safeway was the customers. I met and got to know so many kind and down to earth people. It feels really good to be able to go visit and have customers recognize and make good conversation you.
staff is very helpful and friendly
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 July 2016
A typical day at work consisted of counting the self serve products in the bakery and recording the numbers in the book provided by the manager. Tagging products 50% off as needed according to the dates. Fill the self serve. All this needs to be done before the store opens at 8am. After that a bread order must be done before 9am. Then the bread wall must be filled and any special orders must be ready to go. finally a list is made and the frozen treats are taken out of the freezer and stocked on the shelves. If im the last one in the bakery i must make sure everything is packaged and the bakery freezers like the cake displays are working properly by taking temperatures, the bakery is clean and the ovens are off.
Pros
everyone is a team player
Cons
hard to take a break
Always productive and a great place to work especially with the kind of people there
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 July 2016
I learned a lot working here. I obtained many different skills especially people skills and working with a many different people. The job was never too difficult but of course it had its challenges. Management was excellent other than the fact that you couldn't gain more hours on your schedule.
Pros
good benefits and great people
Cons
not felxible for changes in schedule
Just fun for people of they're on country
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2016
There is no chance to work for this company, specially when is running by people from India or Pakistan they only hire people from their country. Specially Saddle Ridge Location at Calgary AB.
I had bad experience when I applied there, and as a customer I notices the lack of customer service skills.
Pros
Lucky people who already have a job with good benefits
Cons
People with out consideration
It's okay
Produce Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  British Columbia20 October 2016
Department mangers were great. Store management was not. They hire more people then they need but no one gets any hours as a cashier because they don't want to pay benefits for full time employees. If you need a part time job or are going to school its fine. If you need full time. Work as a clerk or in produce.
I enjoyed my job
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 November 2016
Working there was great. I worked at Safeway in the warehouse for over 25 years and retired in 2015, I emptied trailers, lifted pallets, assorted stock. I used a fork lift to move heavy pallets. Maintainted the area for safety reasons. Got as many trailers backed up and emptied as possible.
i am out going.love working with others,always happy,and positive,help other in need of any assistance,
Deli Clerk/deli second assitant (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB30 October 2016
typical day,getting things ready for customers,learned how to do managers position,enjoying customers,learning about them,helping co-workers.
Pros
always ahead of myself
Pleasant C0-Workers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB24 October 2016
A typical day as a cashier would involve:
Greet customers
Scan or register customers’ purchases
Accept payments from customers and give change and receipts
Bag or wrap customers’ purchases
Process returns and exchanges of merchandise
Answer customers’ questions and provide information about store policies
Help customers sign up for store rewards programs or credit cards
The management at Safeway are all pleasant and friendly
The hardest part of my job is minimum pay and currently working 12-16 hours per week definitely need more hours.
The most enjoyable part of my job is always being around other people, whether it be co-workers or customers, and constantly interacting with other people
Learning how to deal with people, how to talk to people and how to treat people with respect is a valuable skill that will carry me far in any career, and in my everyday life.
Pros
opportunity to get out, and interact with other adults
Cons
low hours and pay
Retail work, clean and classy, backpain
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 June 2016
Your schedule is ready for about 3 weeks ahead so that was a good point.
Your day starts with your shift, and as a Cashier, after 3 is the busy hours, and after 8 gets quite.

You will work weekends, if you choose not to, it is OK with them but you will not get good hours. So better to say Yes at the beginning then adjust your time in.

Scheduling is a good point of Safeway.

People are nice, as Safeway is expensive store, you dont see weird people come in and go, often,
Pros
Union
Cons
Insurance after 6 months of work
Positive teamwork
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
Very positive work atmosphere and very much like a team. Not enough hours a week. I love hearing different accents and seeing different people from all around the world, cons, some people are very unpleasant and hard to cooperate with.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
working hours too short
Productive place to work, many longterm employees
Senior Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 August 2016
Various shifts available, mine allowed me to head out of the office mid afternoon.
I enjoyed multi-tasking the various claims assigned to me.
I was able to increase my knowledge portfolio to include pharmacy losses and transportation losses.
Pros
Early start to the day
Cons
Short lunch breaks
great workplace with SOME hardworking staff who were kind and knowledgable about the job and were very helpful
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC23 June 2016
a typical day at Safeway for me involves assisting costumers find items on the shelves (i memorized where everything is) carrying groceries out to their cars, cleaning bad messes in the store and in the parking-lot, dealing with the occasional thief or drunkard. we had alot of older customers i would walk them out to their cars and help them find there keys. on days when there is alot of backstock or a large orders i would help work the stock to the shelf and then organize the backstock.
Pros
.free lunches when you helped with volunteer work or store promotions.
Cons
drama, small break room, lack of privacy, lazy assistant managers, lack of staff, my food would be stolen from the fridge.
Canada Safeway Ltd.
Cashier/ floral/ bakery (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 July 2016
I enjoyed meeting the public and solving their concerns about day to day purchased and dilemas about products at Safeway. Moverover, I enjoyed the Team work environment established at Safeway and the team I worked with.
Pros
Perks such as gift cards, lunches and verbal feedback.
Cons
The only objection I had with Safeway was the lack of hours.
a typical day at work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC14 November 2016
I worked as a Deli- Clerk, my job was to prepare lunch meats, make sandwiches or cook food for hot case. We had to feel the case by 9:30 AM and it was more stressful by lunch because we had a large amount of people waiting for food
Pros
closer to home
Cons
always on call
nice workplace with co-operative staff
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC30 November 2016
it fun working with the safeway,staff is qute co operating and inetresting thungs to learn everyday .The payscale was also good,i was able to get time off which i requested for. all in all it was good there
Pros
stat pays
Cons
closing shifts
Productive, fast paced, great co-workers
Full time Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC6 December 2016
One of the best things I liked about working at Safeway was my coworkers. They were friendly, helpful, and team players. I enjoyed the 10 months I worked for them. It taught me so much and gave me a strong work ethic.
Employees
Lead Man (Night Crew) (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC6 December 2016
Managers and employees were really fun part there because of their nature and after couple months i started, everyone started to know more about me and same applies for me. i still have really good relations with all managers at safeway
Great for someone in school
Grocery/Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 November 2016
Was a great place to begin in looking how to deal in customer service. This job taught me a lot. Overall a very good job. I would recommend working for Safeway.
Pros
Good learning experience
Cons
Rookies not treated all that well