Safeway Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun work place with lots of interactions
Deli (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABApril 4, 2016
The job was fun with lots of costumer interactions. The co-workers came from different family types with lots of story's to tell. The most enjoyable part of the day was getting to find out what new meats were coming out.
Pros
short shifts
Cons
too little hours
Better than Superstore judging from experience.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 12, 2016
Great Union.
Average coworker, some more than others.
Friendly Manger but not so friendly Assistant Manager at the time.
Miss working there sometimes beside the constant hassle.

Happy Retirement, Sir. :)
Pros
3.5/4 star
Cons
AM is not good person
Great, fun work space with enthusiastic co-workers
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCMay 4, 2016
The work environment at Safeway was enjoyable and safe. Everything was always organized and worked like a machine. Every day was busy but the great co-workers and management team helped relieve any issues that would emerge.
friendly environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 30, 2015
My co-workers and management are so friendly and we work like a family. My day ends so fast everyday talking with customers and serve them good service. i learned so many cultures n nautre of another countries people. the hardest part of job when its not busy n we have to stand just look around and wait for a customer. the most enjoyable part of the job is talking to customers n they are so friendly.
Pros
positive, multitasking
Cons
no cons
Busy environment
Cashier/Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 23, 2016
Busy working place. Learned with all the different walks of life with all different people. Co workers are fun to work with. Every single day is the most enjoyable day there is a hard part which is dealing with complains and try to solve the problems which is our learning grounds as well.
Supportive and productivity work place
Retail Shelf Stocker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 20, 2016
I enjoyed working at this business. I had a good supporting cast and the job was fulfilling. My co-workers were supportive and so was management. I enjoyed my job and I couldn't think of a negative experience.
Pros
I was earning money to take of my family
Cons
no complains
Productive and fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 11, 2016
I really enjoyed going into work and cleaning up and organizing everything as well as assisted with answering phones and filing. Run by awesome people, over all great place to work
Pros
free food, great salary, short days
Cons
far from my house
Good hours, room for advancement, not a bad job.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Medicine HatMay 11, 2016
Typical days at work were simple, most of the tasks i was assigned were easy and quick. I learned how to operate a cash register, as well as increased exposure and practice in the customer service fields. Management was always positive and easy to get along with, however getting tough answers out of them proved difficult at times.
My co-workers were always helpful and easy to work with, they did whatever they could to help out one another. The hardest part of my job was getting tough answers out of management, they lacked grit and toughness in certain situations. They seemed too eager to please everyone at times and thus certain problems were left unfixed and not solved. The most enjoyable part of my job was the amount of trust I was given, I was able to work individually and indepenenatly when the situation called for it.
Pros
Lots of hours, flexible hours, good discounts, flexible break times, lots of room and opportunity for advancement
Cons
Lack of grit and tenacity from management
fun place to learn
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 2, 2016
This place was easy to follow tasks. The hours were reasonable. The staff were friendly. The benifits were awesome. I was happy to be offered extra hours or change in days to work if needed.
Pros
freindly place
Cons
far location
Didn't work long enough to review
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 25, 2016
I wasn't working there long enough so I don't think it's fair to do a review. My short time their was enjoyable.Try it out see if you like it. Staff that I worked with are still there so that must say something..
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Ability to learn
Seafood/Meat Counter Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 2, 2015
This was a good place to learn different cuts of meat, information regarding fish, and learning new skills (filleting salmon).
It was also great place to work during school, as they were able to work around my school schedule and provide extra hours when possible.
Supportive management when I fractured my knee, as well as supportive coworkers when questions arose.
Pros
Flexible in hours for school
Cons
Weekly pay, harder to budget
A good employer for inexperienced workers
Payroll/scheduling clerk (Former Employee) –  Mission, BCNovember 1, 2015
Safeway is a good place for a new worker who would like to learn about the retail sector. Union job with high job security and good advancement for those with the drive and initiative. Pay starts off low but does eventually provide a living wage. Hours start off low as well but as your seniority rises your hours maximize eventually. Best to start when a student or to have management goals quickly
Pros
Good job security
Cons
low pay and hours at first
learning a lot
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Delta, BCApril 22, 2016
very hectic but that was fine. management was good. time passes very quickly. there is no fun there . management is nice. i have learnt how creat relationship with oeople
Pros
time passes fasst
Cons
very stress full
awesome
customer service (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCJanuary 4, 2016
typical day is stocking the shelves and handling the customers orders. how to handle currency and price things out. management wasnt all the best they barely did anything. my co workers were lazy and never really tried to pick up there slack and never fully applied themselves.
Productive and interesting workplace, nice co-workers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKNovember 2, 2015
It's a good place to work with nice co-workers. Very helpful employees when it comes to training and teaching people ways to understand different codes and how to use the machines. The only problem was scheduling and shifts, the schedules would conflict on days where I wrote I am unable to work or completely unavailable.
Pros
Good shifts
Cons
Disorganized schedules
Fun but stressful workplace. (so yeah figure that one out)
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 26, 2016
I do not like most of my co-workers, there is only few that I like. Most of my co-workers are bad at what they do (work). The hardest part of the job is working with people who do not want to work.
Cons
No discounts, hours are cut
Busy fast paced environment
Calgary - Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 3, 2016
typical day

customer service
cleaning
handling money
handling food

I learnt how to handle food safely and how to work quickly
Pros
good co workers
Cons
long hours and low pay for hard work
Was alright despite all the drama
Supervisor, File Maintenance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 29, 2016
it was okay, most customers were nice and co-workers nice most of the time. not too hard of work. a typical day at work was to get ready and serve customers for up to 20 hours a week.
Fun place to work if you like to meet new people.
Caissière / Service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 27, 2015
I was a cashier and I absolutely loved my job , I loved to help other employees and customers . I am friendly so being a cashier is a great job for me . I had many friends .
There was no real hardship to the job
I met a lot of interesting people and had other opportunities because of my job.
Pros
lots of good food around, polite customers
Cons
rude customers
Was not what I was looking for.
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMarch 13, 2016
I met a few good people. I learned a lot about myself and about retail. It is time to experience something new now.

I am aiming to take what I learned from my time at Safeway to better myself.