Safeway Employee Reviews

Mixed review
Part time / Temp (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC25 January 2018
Excellent training and educational processes, but my location had too many managers and not enough staff, Which puts stress on employees when demands are made from multiple sources, each wanting their job done first. Tried discussing these concerns with management but was ignored then later let go, placing blame on me rather than the disorganization. With that said the company as a whole is good to work for, would have loved to have transferred to another department that was more organized.
Pros
Good work environment, excellent learning potential. decent benefits
Cons
Bad communication, organization and general management.
Learning experience
Meat Clerk and Full (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK24 January 2018
A typical day included of taking a look around at the product that needed to be made, then after seeing what needed to be done you would then go ahead and start on the tasks which would include, cuttings of different meats, seasoning of different products, fileting seafood, helping and serving customers etc.

I learned a lot from the different cuts of meat, to the way you can make different products from chicken or seafood. I learnt on how to deal with different types of customers and how to make sure they were satisfied with my service.

I think the hardest part of the job was learning that each steak has a different cut, for example you would not cut a strip loin steak the same way as a sirloin or a tenderlion.
No room for advancement, poor pay and work environment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 January 2018
Pay is minimal, often dropping below minimum wage after union fees. Benefits are minimal. Employees come and go. Managers don't care what your think. No room for advancement in any area. Employees know more about how the store runs than the managers and managers often have to come to customer service to ask us how to do simple tasks.
Pros
Hours are good when you have seniority of over 1 year
Cons
Job sucks, people suck, no emotional support for front end staff that get yelled at by customers for the managers decisions.
Easy to move up
Cashier/Starbucks Barista Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2018
Very easy environment to move up/advance. Plenty of departments/areas to excel. Friendly environment for the most part. Guaranteed 40 hours a week and full good benefits if full time.
Great place to grow in your workplace and learn
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Castlegar, BC21 January 2018
Safeway is a good job to grow within and use teamwork to get the job done, to make the customer satisfied. My job consists of making sandwiches, making pizzas, doing production, making hot food and salads, and cleaning duties.
Pros
good health benefits
Cons
Can be stressful when unorganized
The deli is horrible do not work there
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC19 January 2018
Terrible disgusting work, rude aggressive, abusive managers. Long unpredictable hours, unmotivated, unhelpful co-workers. Break room is nice but no reason to work there at all.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Was physically demanding but rewarding
Baker/Baker's assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 January 2018
The job in itself was a wonderful job. Working with others and working with the public is a very rewarding job. Unfortunately, this company has issues with being fair to everyone.
Pros
rewarding, good benefits
Cons
unfair
Another good company.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK19 January 2018
I got provided good training for the job. The hours were fine, and the pay was great! I wouldn't mind working there again. the staff and management were very cooperative!
good
Courtesy clerk, Cashier Produce (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB19 January 2018
Safeway I've always liked as their perishable departments are usually very good especially their meat department. Their house brands are all very good in quality and selection but Safeway tends to be higher in price. They usually run pretty good ads. I have moved where the nearest Safeway is 30 miles away and I miss Safeway. When I have to go that way near the Safeway, I always stop by as I still have my old Club card!
Pros
lunch and breaks
Cons
customer service not good for customer care
PHARMACIST INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2018
Very balanced day at pharmacy
Work load is high but enough manpower
many clinical services performed, great place for beginner or intern
small place but many clients
Pros
get half hr break, steady hours, balanced work flow
Retail grocery sales/ management
Various Department Manager Positions (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 January 2018
Great company to work for. Most innovative, well managed, good working conditions, good wages. Well provided training, work tools, & necessary requirements provided to do the job, well
Pros
Great training, As far as I am concerned, The best retail grocery outlet in canada, Today
Cons
Too much, Do as I say, Not as I do attitude
It's ok
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 January 2018
I stock different commodities in the grocery store shelves. Clean the area.work in midnight shift. There is a union. The company management is ok. The union benifits are ok.
It was a suitable part time job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 January 2018
It is a great place to work as a student or for your first job. Typical minimum wage experience with a few added perks. Not perfect by any means but they do their best.
Stock flower and water plants And help customers
Floral Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southland11 January 2018
I like working with flowers and stockings plants and help customers And be the best work I can be and learn new things and to help others employee out
Pros
Hard work
Cons
16 to 20
deli clerk
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC10 January 2018
cut and made food early days and days off, worked in a slow environment most part had experience in handling knifes and cutting utensils. I enjoyed it..
Pros
Half off food
Cons
no coment
Very fast paced environment with lots of interesting customers around the world.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Canmore, AB10 January 2018
It has been a really good expirience of starting working in the industry which I am not familiar at all, at the moment I became very knoledgable and confident at the products we are offering. It is one of the busiest location across country, with summer sales aroind 150 000$ in a week of liqour.
Good workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK9 January 2018
Good workplace for everyone. Everyone is smiling and friendly. Managment helps everyone learn everything. I would highly recommend this place for working and shopping.
Laid back workplace, great co workers and employees, bad management.
Meat/Seafood Department (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC7 January 2018
Working at Safeway was not exactly enjoyable. I worked in the meat department serving customers, preparing different meals, and cleaning the several machines and flooring. My coworkers were very nice but the management was not very good.
Good to work there just not enough hours
Bakery, front end sales clerk (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB5 January 2018
It was ok to work there're just not enough hours, I worked in the bakery, I really enjoyed it. If I would have had gotten more hours I would have stayed.
Pros
Got to meet people
Safeway was good for the most part
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 January 2018
first job in a grocery store, felt very welcome and overall good morale,but when new management takes over,things tend to change and newer management did not care if they got rid of long time workers just get new workers in to pay them low wages,was not impressed with the company after awhile.
Pros
had a good wage at the end of the job
Cons
long hours with not alot of help.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K