Safeway
3,320 reviews

Safeway Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
The job goes by fast and that makes you feel like you did something productive.
Cashier (Former Employee), St. Albert, ABApril 4, 2015
Pros: Free 15 minute coffee breaks were a bonus
Cons: I'm not a fan on how they schedule. It should be at least one month in advanced, rather than two weeks.
The hardest part of being a cashier was trying to go as fast as possible without making any mistakes to satisfy the customers. Also while keeping a conversation with the customer.
Very short staffed and with no regard for cleanliness
Part-time / Casual (Former Employee), 100 mile houseApril 3, 2015
Pros: good employees
Cons: Long hours, low pay wage
This work place was never cleaned to a proper standard for food services.
There was a limited time frame in which to complete tasks on the closing shift.
The rate of pay did not warrant the work performance or duties.

On the other hand the employees were a delight to work with and I got along with them all very well, We made our work day enjoyable regardless of the circumstances
competitive work place
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), ABMarch 31, 2015
Cons: long hours
I used to cook, clean and do closing shift.
I learned how to communicate with customers fluently, do group work. I learned more about cleaning and cooking food and how to find the correct temp for the cooked food.
Great environment to work in with great job security
Assistant Manager (Full-time) (Current Employee), Winnipeg ManitobaMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Environment
Cons: long hours
Very good company to work for. My experience in management has helped me become a better leader and to advance myself as a manager.
Productive, fun and challenging. (Fort St. John Location)
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee), Fort St John, BCMarch 27, 2015
Pros: staff parties and free lunches.
I would punch in, run to the back to start the unload, then grab carts and proceed to sort the order before stocking grocery shelves.
How to be more efficient, and how to write and place an order.
Management was great, friendly, and they were there when you needed advice or information.
Co-workers were excellent and fun to work with.
Hardest part of the job is predicting sales for the next day, and placing a solid replenishment order.
Working the order.
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee), leduc, AbMarch 26, 2015
My typical day was packaging product putting it on shelves slicing bread, helping customers, sometimes worked in the back putting dough on pans. Iearned how to work in a very fast paced enviroment. The hardest part of my job was rush orders but i managed to get them done in a fast timely order.
Hard work & some of the best co worker ever
Starbucks Barista & Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Vancouver,BCMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Flexible shifts
Cons: Low on staffing for shifts...
This is a hard job no matter what department you decide to go into.

I cant really give a good review as the company has been sold to Sobes. I worked there before this happened. So i am guessing this is a much better place to work.

This was a good job to have if you needed part time work. Shift time were flexible. I did end up going to school and working at the same time...comfortably.
hard work
Floral designer (Current Employee), northgate mallMarch 24, 2015
Pros: no pros
Cons: bad uneven hours. do not have steady hours.
cashing. making floral arrangements, oasis and vase and wet wraps. taking daily orders. helping customers with picking items to purchase. watering plants and cleaning them. the most fun part is making arrangements when we have the time. hardest part are on the holidays. so much work to be done and numerous customers to deal with.
Great customers, lazy co-workers
Gas station attendant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 20, 2015
I had a great experience working in the gas bar, i loved the regularity of my customers, but most of the people i worked with did not care to do what theyre job was and management never did anything about them or the issues which would be brought to their attention.
Productive and fun place
Deli Production Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 19, 2015
Good and fun place to work. Nice and helpful co-workers. Nothing hard about the job. Enjoyable work place. Good manager.
fast paced work envirnoment
cashier (Former Employee), richmond BCMarch 17, 2015
Pros: fridge for my meals and lockers for my belongings
Cons: long hours
As a cashier at Safeway my typical work day was an 8 hour shift with two -15 minute breaks and 1 -30 minute lunch break. I learned how to talk respectively to customers and how to sucessfully manage the cash register. I also learned the responsibility of money transactions. My co-workers were all pleasant and helped me throughout my training. The hardest part of my job was memorizing the produce codes in Safeway. The most enjoyable part of my job was doing my best to make the customers experience enjoyable and stress free.
Variety clerks were discriminated against in wages.
Variety Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 12, 2015
Pros: the learning experience
Cons: being paid less than all other safeway employees.
I very much enjoyed the diversity of the work. And the diversity of the people that I worked with.

While working and without missing a beat we were able to share a sentence or two and perhaps a heartfelt laugh.

As with every job I learned time management and new skills. I also had the opportunity to grow as an individual and a team member.

As a part time employee, working full time at another job, I did find it extremely difficult to try to accommodate the midnight shift. Eventually it became dangerous for me to work overnight and I needed to bring this difficulty to my employer.

Accommodations were arranged.
Productive, top grocery company, very well paid with good benefits
1ST Assistant manager (Former Employee), Richmond B.C, Ladner B.C.March 9, 2015
Pros: very well reimbursed monetarily while helping with investment choices
Cons: long hours and sometimes a long commute
Starting at Safeway in 1980 as a 16 yr old I thought I died and went to heaven as that time working for Safeway was akin to working at the Pulp Mill in that the wages were very very lucrative. I started from the bottom and moved my way to close to the top as a 1st assistant manager with stops in West Vancouver, Richmond, Abbotsford, Chilliwack and finally South Delta.
The recession of 2008/2009 helped with my demise plus a change in the management structure was underway.
Besides all that though, Canada Safeway was very good for me and my family as it has allowed us to do things we wouldn't be able to if not for Canada Safeway.
Safeway
Cashier and Floral clerk (Current Employee), Chilliwack, BCMarch 8, 2015
Pros: getting to work in floral
Cons: being bullied for doing your job.
Didn't like, still don't like it. Can't wait to start my career doing something that I actually like. Working in floral is a lot of fun! The people are so nice. However, not everyone at Safeway knows how to treat a person with kindness.
It was ok
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABMarch 2, 2015
Come in and get the shelf/ counter all set up for the customers. What I have learn from working there was I have to keep moving and not break until the job is done.
Great experience for a student
Pharmacy Student (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 1, 2015
- Great experience for a student
- Plenty of member and patient interaction
- Internal procedures
- Familiarity with automated dispensing systems.
Excellent Customer service skills.
Cashier (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKFebruary 22, 2015
I have worked for Safeway and very much enjoyed my position as a cashier. I have excellent work ethics and show great respect for Management and my Associates. Please review my resume and please do not hesitate to contact me if you require additional information I have very good people skills and enjoy the people I serve.(Customer Service)..
Harsh place to work
Cash Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: easy tasks, low work expectations
Cons: late nights, narrow job description, little use of employees ideas/suggestions
I found my experience at Safeway, although tolerable, uninspiring and rather negative. with little room for advancement, or cooperation between employees it became increasingly difficult to proceed with working there.
easy to work for
CASHIER (Former Employee), albertaFebruary 16, 2015
very flexible and easy company to work for, just don't like the fact that its union, and have to pay union dues. Other than that good company to be with, easy hours, good people
Flexible job
Cashier (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: nice coworkers
Cons: no benefits for part time workers unless 33+ hours for more than 13 weeks.
A typical day at Safeway consists of interacting with customers and keeping the point of sale systems clean and providing customer service.

I have extended my knowledge on the point of sale system and improved my customer service skills. I also learned to do Payroll on Sobey's Kronos/SAP system and previously Safeway's SSH system. In addition, I have also learned how to do minimal bookkeeping skills.

The hardest part of the job is when it gets busy and you have to balance several customers when there isn't enough staff to accommodate individuals. Or when difficult customers and theft occur.

The people at Safeway are friendly and easily approachable, providing a comfortable environment.

About Safeway

Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), a Fortune 500 company, is North America's second largest supermarket chain after Kroger Co., with, as – Read more