Safeway

4.1K reviews

Safeway Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good place to start off first job
Cashier/Bakery Clerk (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 22, 2015
Pros: Close to home, friendly co-workers
Cons: Hours get cut, inconsistent management
A usual day is occasionally busy with customers, allowing time to pass quickly. I learned the value of customer service and efficiency of providing quick service. The management is usually inconsistent of control, and while most of them are kind and understandable, others just don't provide you with what you ask for, even when you go out of your way to cover a shift.

The co-workers are all generally great, understandable, and overall friendly people. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with a customer that just delays the flow of the cashiers, holding myself back, and making other customers wait longer than they should. The most enjoyable part is being in the bakery and being able to help out customers as much as I can to their satisfaction.
Fun and Busy place to work
Front End Cashier (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 6, 2014
Cons: not enough hours available
Working as a cashier for Safeway is an excellent position. I have been able to hone my customer service skills, working on the front lines. As we have just updated our register systems, it has given everyone the opportunity to learn new things and to more efficiently assist customers. Management and Co workers are pleasant and friendly. The hardest part of being a cashier is the physicality of the position. You are constantly lifting and moving groceries, and standing for long periods can become difficult. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing returning customers and developing a relationship with them. After a while, you get customers who look for you at the checkstand and are willing to wait for you. Working as a front end cashier is a great way to serve people, and you never have the same day twice.
Fast-paced workplace
Cashier (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 8, 2013
Pros: 10% off discount on all safeway brands & friendly co-workers
Cons: shift work & inflexibility to work around your schedule
Being a cashier @ Safeway is fast-paced and the shifts go by very quickly; the other cashiers are fun to work with. Management is pretty good and are easy to talk to and get along with. Unfortunetly, since it's based on seniority, there isn't alot of room for advancement or increase in hours and they are very inflexible about working around my schedule (ie: my spouse is now working night shifts & we have no babysitter for late nights); since I'm unable to work late nights anymore, Safeway wants to cut my hours even though I'm not getting alot of hours.
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people working w/the friendly job. The hardest part of the job is all the shift work and never knowing what shifts you are working the following week (since they're never the same).
Over all
Gas Station Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 25, 2014
Pros: great breaks, i lived right across the street from work
Cons: i sometimes didn't have enough hours
Every Day Was Different Which Applies To Me Because I Love Meeting New People And The Typical Usual Customers That Arrived And Bonding With Them. I Have Learned Tolerance Towards Customers That Was Unsure Of What The Card Meant Or How Much Gas They Have Put In, Or Their Scratch Cards Were Overly Scratched, So I Called The Scratch & Win Card Company To Assist The Problem. Management Was Great, Both My Managers Made Things Quick And Easy To Remember As Well As Bonding With Them. My Co-Workers Always Knew What They Were Doing, They Had Great Energy Towards The Customers As Well As Towards Me. The Hardest Part Would Have To Be The Weather, It Was Too Cold Some Days. I Enjoyed Every Part Of It.
Productive, top grocery company, very well paid with good benefits
1ST Assistant manager (Former Employee), Richmond B.C, Ladner B.C.March 9, 2015
Pros: very well reimbursed monetarily while helping with investment choices
Cons: long hours and sometimes a long commute
Starting at Safeway in 1980 as a 16 yr old I thought I died and went to heaven as that time working for Safeway was akin to working at the Pulp Mill in that the wages were very very lucrative. I started from the bottom and moved my way to close to the top as a 1st assistant manager with stops in West Vancouver, Richmond, Abbotsford, Chilliwack and finally South Delta.
The recession of 2008/2009 helped with my demise plus a change in the management structure was underway.
Besides all that though, Canada Safeway was very good for me and my family as it has allowed us to do things we wouldn't be able to if not for Canada Safeway.
materials distribution
Cashier (Former Employee), winnipeg MBAugust 21, 2012
Pros: coffee fund holds occaisonal employee appreciation events
Cons: gossip
A typical day at work is processing orders for client's throughout Manitoba who recieve home care equipment such as beds, suction machines ect...It is a very fast pace job that keeps me on the go which I enjoy because I get bored easily. I like to be on the go, I like to help people at work so that things run smoother and I enjoy playing my part as customer service to serve to public and help them with thier needs. I love my Managers they have helped me in so many ways personally and in regards to the workplace. I have been employed with the same agency for four years and it has helped shape me into the person I am today.
Not a career
2nd Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: flexible scheduling, helping people
Cons: lack of positive reinforcement, dead end job
I worked for Safeway for 14 years and could not advance past 2nd Assistant for the life of me. I jumped through every hoop that they presented (rural relocation, across the city, working holidays etc.) When they were sold to Sobey's they started closing stores which lead to me having to take a step back in the pecking order and take a pay cut. When they offered their employees that were making more than they were comfortable they offered a buy-out I jumped all over it. I had many instances where a promotion that I deserved was given to a female or visible minority with less experience and effectiveness. I would not recommend this job to anyone.
A Usual Day at Work
Deli sales clerk (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 24, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: not enough hours
Every shift I work is relatively normal with fluctuations of either it being busy or a slow day. Every day though is quite enjoyable whether it's helping customers or bringing food out from cooking it in the back, or even preparing food for the customer. I learn something new nearly every shift I work, and I personally love stocking the food and any supplies need like crates in the back. Moving around is my absolute favourite. My coworkers are always great when it comes to either just asking for help or a question about how to do something, to joking around with and cleaning up when we have a little bit of time. The only difficult part about the job is the very little hours a week (between 9-13 a week).
nice people but bored a lot
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: nice atmosphere and good people
Cons: little hours, doesn't keep me busy for the most part
typically i would get there and check the washrooms and do a sweep log (i look though all the isles and make sure all clean) then go about checking the carts and baskets, seeing if people need a hand and just repeat that.
i haven't really learned a whole lot working there that i can think of its a straight forward job.
the people i work with there are all nice and friendly and they all like me as well.
the hardest part of working there is trying to talk to people who don't know how to speak proper English and the most enjoyable part is talking to all the nice and cool customers that come in the store, so i like talking with people and don't at the same time.
Safeway was a good job at first, but got old fast.
Cashier (Former Employee), Mission BCJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: days off were reasonable if you gave good notice
Cons: rude people.
I usually just went to my till at work and rung through customers, as well as solved their problems and answered any questions they had all in a patient and calm manner. I learned how to be more patient, calm and relaxed under pressure. Management was varied at times depending on who was on shift. I had some amazingly kind and understandable managers, a few others not so much. My co-workers were great people, a lot of them I still talk to today. The hardest part of the job was dealing with rude people and sometimes closing shifts. The best part was getting to meet some great people, co-workers and customers.
Fast-paced and energetic retail job.
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 29, 2013
Pros: free samples, benefits, raises, flexible schedule for part-time
Cons: standing, interrupted breaks, understaffed holidays
As a bakery clerk I did not handle transactions, so most of my customer interactions involved locating products for them or answering questions about products. Customer service for this job is very important and every month a mystery shopper will show up to evaluate you. Either I was packaging items all day or slicing bread all day, depending on the shift. My co-workers were very involved and the hours went by quickly but beware there is lots and lots of standing. The average starting wage was around $10-$11 hourly for part-time but you earn raises after working a certain amount of hours.
we make work what we want it to be come in with a positive attitude and your day will be good
cashier (Former Employee), edmonton albertaFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: meeting new people and helping others
Cons: not knowing how to cover some shifts due to short staff
a typical day would be come in and make sure all customers are satisfied if not possible try to find a solution if an empyloee does not come in cover the shift to the best of your ability or have someone come in early or stay later do what is needed to make the company work to its best ability.consult your management team to see if you need to cover the shift or if the production is down you do not need to.i enjoyed meeting new people everyday and makin their shopping exprience the best you can. i enjoyed my co-workers, but like most jobs there is tension among some
Variety clerks were discriminated against in wages.
Variety Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 12, 2015
Pros: the learning experience
Cons: being paid less than all other safeway employees.
I very much enjoyed the diversity of the work. And the diversity of the people that I worked with.

While working and without missing a beat we were able to share a sentence or two and perhaps a heartfelt laugh.

As with every job I learned time management and new skills. I also had the opportunity to grow as an individual and a team member.

As a part time employee, working full time at another job, I did find it extremely difficult to try to accommodate the midnight shift. Eventually it became dangerous for me to work overnight and I needed to bring this difficulty to my employer.

Accommodations were arranged.
Productive and exciting job as Courtesy Clerk
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 29, 2014
Pros: reasonable hours
Cons: can't think of any
Going around the store and giving co-workers my help whenever they needed it.

I learned how to do a variety of jobs, What it's like working with co- workers and how to deal with customers.

Management would tell me what I needed to do for that day and send me on my way. They were patient and helpful and they liked my work.

Co-workers were a lot a like Management. I did what ever they asked me to and I tried to be as helpful as possible. They would give me constructive criticism and thank me for doing a good job.

The hardest part for me was keeping up with facing shelves I would do a good job I was just slow.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that I got to try a lot of new things. Rather then doing the same thing all day every day.
Fun, great people, awesome learning experience and room for advancement
File Maintenance (Current Employee), Airdrie, ABMarch 6, 2014
In a typical day I punch in my time card head down to my designated till and starting ringing through customers. I have learned many codes, PLU's, and how to work the till successfully. It has grown me as a person putting me out of my usual comfort zone and talking to complete strangers as well as establishing relationships with regular customers. I work with friendly easy to talk to people and have great relationships with all of them. The hardest part of my job would probably be having to stand for 9 hours. The part I enjoy the most is working with my co-workers. The Safeway I work for has great management, the store owner is a friendly easy to talk to guy and all my supervisors or managers are nice and friendly.
Flexible job
Cashier (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: nice coworkers
Cons: no benefits for part time workers unless 33+ hours for more than 13 weeks.
A typical day at Safeway consists of interacting with customers and keeping the point of sale systems clean and providing customer service.

I have extended my knowledge on the point of sale system and improved my customer service skills. I also learned to do Payroll on Sobey's Kronos/SAP system and previously Safeway's SSH system. In addition, I have also learned how to do minimal bookkeeping skills.

The hardest part of the job is when it gets busy and you have to balance several customers when there isn't enough staff to accommodate individuals. Or when difficult customers and theft occur.

The people at Safeway are friendly and easily approachable, providing a comfortable environment.
Fort and Foul bay Safeway
Customer Service - Courtesy (Former Employee), Victoria, BCOctober 9, 2014
A day working at Safeway was very full filling! Working at Safeway, I learned people skills, of what people are all about to an an extreme, what they look for in a shopping experience. What customers like and don't like while shopping.
The management there was very calm and would try their best to help me do a better job each day! My co - workers were a great team to encourage my self esteem while on the job.
I would have to say , the hardest part was on slow days, as I would try to keep myself busy and not look as if i were walking around doing nothing, always kept on looking though! The best part of the job was knowing I gave a good day worth of work while it lasted.
Very satisfactory workplace; team work is much encouraged and safety within the workplace. Dynamic management and job security and benefits..
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 22, 2012
Pros: prompt payment, and the associated premium; insurance coverage, and benefits; advancement opportunity
Cons: working night shift always.
A very challenging job, ensuring that customers are satisfied starting from greeting them; the stocks at the store are well stacked and well arranged.

Team work and safety consciousness are emphasised always. The management are dynamic and supportive, and the co-workers are very warm and amiable. Nothing in the job considered too hard except where the assignment of the day has to be at the cooler (cool room) and when the volume of the stock is very large and has to be completed within a specific time limit. Meeting people with a view to assisting them and accomplishing the assignment/task of the day can be very satisfying
good workplace with good team work
Cashier (Former Employee), Surrey, BCMay 20, 2015
A typical day at work constructed of for me working as a cashier and making sure each and every customer was pleased with the service and did not leave the store disappointed. I learned that it is important to be patient and have good communication skill in order to satisfy customer needs. My co-workers were well supportive, some were a little engrossed into their own work without helping out a new employee but others were of great help. The hardest part of the job was when a customer stated that they did not have a good experience and having to deal with their distress was very sad. The most enjoyable part was seeing a smile on a customers face and helping people.
Pharmacy had a great team to work with
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABAugust 7, 2014
The team of people I worked with at Safeway were excellent. We had little to no problems dividing up work to conquer it as individuals when needed or coming to together to get it done. The management in the Pharmacy was good at delegating tasks when needed and allowing us room to work. We filled an average of 100-150 prescriptions a day and had an extensive list of bubble pack patients. The hardest part of the job was balancing phone calls, prescription filling and patient interaction when it was busy or we were short staffed, but this is where we really came together and cooperated. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the interactions with some of the regulars that you build up a relationship with and entering/filling prescriptions.
Industry