Safeway Employee Reviews in Canada

its ok
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  100, 5005 Dalhousie Dr NWJuly 7, 2016
the work is fine and pretty easy but the work environment is not great. a lot of the employees are nice but do not give you any respect as a Courtesy Clerk.
not enough staff
Starbucks Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 29, 2016
I enjoyed working there but we were always short staffed and no one wanting to take extra shifts. Did not always get breaks because of how short staffed and heavy lifting.
Pros
enjoyed the customers
Cons
short staffed
positive work experience
Delicatessen/Meat Cutter/Seafood Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  new westministerJune 24, 2016
It's a great place to work and gives great work experience. Great atmosphere suitable for learning and positivity and all areas.
great workplace with SOME hardworking staff who were kind and knowledgable about the job and were very helpful
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCJune 23, 2016
a typical day at Safeway for me involves assisting costumers find items on the shelves (i memorized where everything is) carrying groceries out to their cars, cleaning bad messes in the store and in the parking-lot, dealing with the occasional thief or drunkard. we had alot of older customers i would walk them out to their cars and help them find there keys. on days when there is alot of backstock or a large orders i would help work the stock to the shelf and then organize the backstock.
Pros
.free lunches when you helped with volunteer work or store promotions.
Cons
drama, small break room, lack of privacy, lazy assistant managers, lack of staff, my food would be stolen from the fridge.
All depends on the Management Team
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB, Calgary, ABJune 23, 2016
Can be a great place to work! But it all comes down to the management team that is in the stores. There are so great people working for the company.
Retail work, clean and classy, backpain
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 21, 2016
Your schedule is ready for about 3 weeks ahead so that was a good point.
Your day starts with your shift, and as a Cashier, after 3 is the busy hours, and after 8 gets quite.

You will work weekends, if you choose not to, it is OK with them but you will not get good hours. So better to say Yes at the beginning then adjust your time in.

Scheduling is a good point of Safeway.

People are nice, as Safeway is expensive store, you dont see weird people come in and go, often,
Pros
Union
Cons
Insurance after 6 months of work
Safeway and me
General Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BCJune 19, 2016
Well... I worked for Safeway for 10 long years. The first year as a lowly courtesy clerk was alright. The next 4 however slowly deteriorated from alright to unpleasant to thank god I'm moving. As a courtesy clerk I was pushing carts, bagging groceries, helping customers, sweeping, cleaning up spills, and removing graffiti from bathroom stalls with hairspray, That was an interesting learning experience as hairspray actually breaks up ink and stuff! And of course cleaning bathrooms and the lunch room, and garbage's I got paid a maximum of $13.50 up from $11.17 in those five years. The 'benefits' were only available to people working 30 hours for 13 weeks on average. I got those benefits about 5 times. The benefits themselves started out decent. I got an air miles employee card which gave me just under 4000 air miles, that is until they stopped giving air miles as a benefit. Safeway benefits in my experience are not very good. Medical is a huge pain to try to use. Dental too. And that's about it. Other than pension of course. After I moved, I ended up working for Safeway again for 4 3/4 years. A new store, new people. It was so much better.. The atmosphere in that store was positive, and friendly. The work culture was very good. Not too serious. Staff could sing, joke, laugh. It was great! Mostly. In those years I was paid more than ever! Friends were to made everywhere too. The hardest part of working for Safeway as a courtesy clerk was doing the carts. The winters were brutal as there were 2-3 feet of snow. But those carts needed to be done. The hardest part in the last few years  more... was learning all of the positions in the store. I was here, there, and everywhere. It really depends on the store. I would recommend working for Safeway as a survival job. But some end up working there for 30-50 years. It depends on the person I guess. In both stores the management was rather unorganized. Also the managers should be trained better in diplomacy, tact, and in a manner that doesn't create too much ego in the management trainee. If you get hired and like it then awesome! If not there's other opportunities out there. I myself wouldn't work there again, unless there wouldn't be any other choice. So there ya have it. My stellar, and amazing, spectacular, and totally rad review of Safeway.  less
Pros
If you earn safety awards you get free lunch, Depending on the store the people can be awesome, you learn customer service which can actually make you a better person if you let it, Safeway acceptes all people into the company.
Cons
Benifits could benifit with an overhaul, Hours can and will be cut, Hours can be long, Management could be better organised and better trained
a respectful environment
Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 17, 2016
i worked a night shift with my mom in safeway where i cleaned the store after work hours. i enjoyed working there because i was around people i wanted to be with and it was a healthy and safe environment. i would like a part time job again.
Pros
good working hours
Cons
low salery
lovely
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCJune 17, 2016
Co-workers always great to be around and work along side. Always laughing and smiles whatever the day is like for work load.
good place to start in
Baker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 9, 2016
a very standard grocery store bakery. depending on the day and the stock, we will make bread accordingly. flexible hours and a very positive work place
ExampProductive and excellent work ethicle: Productive and fun workplace with table tennis table
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 3, 2016
most enjoyable part of my job was working the team of cashiers, produce clerks and customer service.
safeway is a good place for students for starter jobs.
Pros
employee discount offered on some items in store
Cons
nothing to comment
picker/packer, ware house
Warehouse Janitor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 31, 2016
clean warehouse , picking/packing, hand jack, fork lift, a team player, available to Mon to Friday. hard worker, valid driver ,
Pros
good money
Cons
lots of overtime
left to focus on studies.
General Merchandise Clerk/ Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ABMay 31, 2016
I left Safeway to focus on my studies in Hospitality Management at SAIT Polytechnic. The hours avaliable did not work for my school schedule.
An enjoyable but busy atmosphere.
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMay 28, 2016
A typical day of work used to be working with one or two other people on the weekend and working on your own for three hours out of a four hour shift on the weekend. It changed so that one was working by oneself for most of an eight hour shift on the weekend, leading to excess stress and making time management difficult.
While working with co-workers or working by oneself time management and efficiency were learned to enable one to make one drink in as little as thirty seconds.
Management in the kiosk was usually good. Upon switching to the downtown Red Deer location, the manager was careless about scheduling.
Co-workers were friendly and helpful.
The hardest part of the job was being scheduled to work alone on a very busy day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to taste test new drinks.
Great Management
Bakery Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 27, 2016
I loved my coworkers and managers but did not like the lack of hours. Went from working 20+ hours a week to 4.
I learned how to slice bread and package goods. I liked working as a team but did not like working by myself after everyone went home.
Pros
Free Baked-Goods
Cons
Not enough work hours
Nice place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 27, 2016
Safeway is a good place to work. A typical day at work involved serving customers on the check stand, advertising promotions and answering any questions customers had. I thoroughly enjoyed working with my co-workers and interacting with the public.
Pros
Customer interaction
Excellent company to work for; we worked hard but our efforts were appreciated.
Journeyman Baker/Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK and Calgary ABMay 26, 2016
Enjoyed my time there. Company was very accommodating during time I was dealing with elderly parents. Truly miss the people I worked with.
Pros
Benefits/training/opportunities for advancement.
Cons
Varied and sometimes demanding schedules.
Excellent place to work
S.E.A. Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 26, 2016
Every day was fun and educational. The company wanted everyone to be glad to be an employee with them.
The Management team was exceptional, always encouraging you to accept new programs and upgrade your education. That is how I was invited to learn QuickBooks and haven't looked back. The hardest part of the job was leaving as it was 'home'.
The management culture within Safeway was very driven to succeed
PLANT OFFICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 26, 2016
Safeway was a very forward thinking organization in terms of policies and procedure's, such as Sarbanes Oxley as well as the Five S program.

My career began as a part time employee, working my way to Plant Office Supervisor managing a staff of three.

I learned to multitask and prioritize because of the nature of the business.
Pros
I had the opportunity to travel for training
Cons
Working Saturdays for inventory each month
Nice Place to Work
Night Manager/Food Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kenora, ONMay 25, 2016
Had a wonderful time and I learned many things about how a business operates. It allowed me to increase and polish my customer service skills.