Safeway Employee Reviews

Great Job
manager- Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 September 2016
great company to work. I was trained very well by my mentor. Great benefits and and flexible working hours. Worked there for 2 years, but now its time to move on.
great place to work..
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB3 September 2016
a good company and great people around.store managers are very approchable and they offer a good benefits for the workers..they have a clean workplace
Overall disappointed in the lack of management
Deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 December 2016
I was not at all impressed with the Oliver square location. I was a part-time staff member and was only getting 30 hours, if that per week. I showed up every day and put everything I had into my work week, and was still made to feel as if I was just a cog that was unimportant. before finding a second job to meet the needs of my small family I gave two weeks notice and moved between the two jobs , when I missed the very last shift dew to the other job that was providing more hours and the same money with out the union fees , I didn't make it in, so I was put on a do not hier list.
So for all the effort that I put into the company and all the hard work that I did I feel that it was all for not.
Management was not well equipped to deal with it's team members and everything that became broken stayed that way for months at a time. Not one of the best locations to work for in my opinion.
A simple job with strict rules
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB17 November 2016
Safeway was a decent place to work, decent pay, decent management, and decent hours. Great for if you're a student and need something with shifts that go till 11pm.
Pros
simple, and easy
Cons
long hours, and boring
Excellent company to work for; we worked hard but our efforts were appreciated.
Journeyman Baker/Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK and Calgary AB26 May 2016
Enjoyed my time there. Company was very accommodating during time I was dealing with elderly parents. Truly miss the people I worked with.
Pros
Benefits/training/opportunities for advancement.
Cons
Varied and sometimes demanding schedules.
Great training environment
Management (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC20 April 2016
Great management training within the company!
I have always loved this company however in recent years my view has begin to shift. However after 3 years at the same location with no hint at upward movement or even a location transfer my love for the company has begun to strain.
Pros
Compensation, training
Cons
Working hours, little room for advancement
Fast pace, but friendly workplace.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB13 February 2017
Safeway is a nice place to work at. The coworkers are great, the customers are great and just the overall atmosphere at Safeway is a pleasant one. It is very fast pace and you have to keep up with the everyday duties of the job, but your coworkers make it the best it can be and everyone just rolls with it and we get things done. This was my first job and I'm glad my first job was at Safeway. I grew a lot as a person and pushed me towards a different career where I can expand and show off my skills that I learned at Safeway.
Worst experience of my life; don't work here!
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 September 2016
Pros:

-Coworkers are generally pretty nice and helpful. They are what makes the job bearable.

-Most customers are kind people and the really friendly ones can make your day. It's nice to have people genuinely smile at you.

-It's unionized.

-Always hiring, even in the bad economy. They will literally take anyone. If you're in dire straits, then you can work for minimum wage and not freeze to death while you wait for even McDonalds or Walmart to give you a call.

Cons:
Where to begin... long rant ahead.

-Training was awful. They sent me to a store 20km away from the store I was to be employed at, which was ridiculous. The trainer was a nasty sexiest woman who took pleasure in knocking people down and then kicking them while they were down there. She only critiqued women who were training (particularly overweight women) and either ignored questions or got angry when you did ask. She wanted people to jump in with only a minute or two maximum of instruction, but if people made mistakes, she chewed them out. All-in-all, it was a miserable experience to be involved in. There were times I felt like throwing my uniform in the trash and quitting in a fantastical manner and this was only the first week. It got worse from here.
--You get treated much the same in your store (although your supervisor is unlikely to be as bad as the cruel egomaniacs that they have who do the training), only you're expected to do much more without ever asking for guidance.

-They expect you to know everything very early on (think within ten minutes of your first training day) and to not
  more... make any mistakes or inconvenience people by asking for assistance, particularly one-on-one assistance.

-They tell you to ask questions when you need help, but often times they ignore you.

-You work on your own very early on which is incredibly stressful

-The pay is terrible, there are no benefits, and the hours are really long.

-It hurts to be on your feet all day.

-Company rules and policies about things like earrings and other piercings, tattoos, hair colour, scruff and beards, social media, etc. are ridiculous and outdated. Having to believe in the brand without ever critically discussing it is incredibly wrong. No wonder safeway is losing tons of customers to Walmart.

-The store and breakroom are outdated; the lockers are all busted (and thus there are no safe places to store valuables), there are no windows, the chairs are uncomfortable, small and crowded fridge, etc.

-Management uses secret shoppers which is a really nasty thing to do, particularly to new employees who are just learning. I've seen people sobbing in the washroom from this treatment. It sucks to tell them about this practice that the company denies but clearly does. Most of these people quit within a month which results in extremely high rates of turnover and resulted in even more stress.

-Mean customers who act like you exist to wait on them hand, foot, and finger. Thankfully this is rare; you might get one person like this out of fifty during an eight hour shift.

-The store is dirty; greasy floors in the deli area (so bad that I almost slipped even with brand new non-skid shoes with grip tape on them) with tons of garbage on them and on the counters. Handwashing and proper glove procedure is rarely enforced and when you inadvertently make a hygiene mistake (which could have been prevented with proper reinforcement early on) that someone notices, they will be harsh in their treatment of you, be it a know-it-all customer or lazy supervisors who pick that one moment to humiliate you in front of others.

-They throw out a ton of food and keep the ovens on 24/7 which is terrible for the environment. No matter what I said, they were never willing to look at alternatives.

-Things were very disorganized. The clock in machine rejected people half the time, the schedule varied like crazy, there were always either too many or too few people working. There were never enough medium and large sized gloves. Breaks tended to be at random times and varied from shift to shift. Always tons of turnover which makes keeping up hard. Can't see the labels on the products which means that people who don't or can't memorize what products look like constantly have to ask customers for help which can be very annoying for them.

-This is petty, but the uniform is ugly and uncomfortable. I got a rash from where the seam rubbed my shoulder.
very fun job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 February 2016
I loved working in the Deli department at Safeway. I learned how to make many different salads, and pasta salads. I learned how to slice lunch meats and eventually knew how many slices equaled so much grams. I learned a lot about food safety and keeping things clean and sanitized. My co-workers were older and very particular, but were wonderful ladies to work with. The hardest part of working in the deli, was learning how to safely clean the meat slicer and cooking the whole chickens, as well as remembering all the codes to the products. The best part was learning how to make the Salads and prepping the display case
Pros
great hours and benifits
Cons
lots of work
Productive workplace where all employees looked after each other and were friends
Cashier, Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB10 September 2016
A typical day at work started with greeting customers and helping them find what they needed to find. I learned that hard work and dedication can get you a long way. The management at this establishment was really friendly and always encouraged you too do your best. My co-workers were extremely serviceable they always tried their hardest to please the customers. The hardest part of the job was not being able to satisfy the customers needs. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping out customers fill their needs and seeing them leave happy.
Pros
Fun environment to work in
Cons
short hours
its a productive and nice place to work
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 December 2016
Safeway is a very nice invirment to work for the people that work there are very nice and resptful to all of the workers that work there and I think that is the main thing that you have to look out for when working at a job placement.
Pros
you are meeting people all of the time so thats nice
Cons
very long hours
Fun! Like Family!
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK19 February 2017
Safeway is a good enterance job for people. The staff is very friendly and welcoming. Overall if you spend enough time their they will feel like family. There are many different possitions to enter in and move up to. But I feel like it should only be used like a starter job and not a career.
Pros
Great work enviroment, and free food sometimes
Cons
Gets Repetitive
Productive and fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 May 2016
I really enjoyed going into work and cleaning up and organizing everything as well as assisted with answering phones and filing. Run by awesome people, over all great place to work
Pros
free food, great salary, short days
Cons
far from my house
Always great staff and memorable customers
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 November 2016
Always kept busy, never a dull moment. Great friendships made and tons of experience. Since the changeover of companies, it was a bit more difficult due to huge changes within. Training was available, but did not always apply to work needs. Over all it is an addicting atmosphere in the management type work. You're always on the go.
Pros
great teamwork
Cons
not a lot of free time outside work
Productive and friendly enviroment
ASSISTANT PRODUCE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC21 November 2016
I enjoyed working at safeway. I felt welcomed and my superiors continually supported my efforts to push further into the company. Overall if you have a solid work ethic you could build a solid career for yourself here.
Pros
Free lunches and coffee as well as friendly co workers.
Cons
District managers and other reviewers are a pain in some cases.
Fun environment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2016
One of the best jobs I had, the people and environment was awesome, the money and hours weren't bad at all in the beginning. Each month, my hours go shorter and shorter, and my manager didn't seem to care at all that I was having a hard time paying rent and living in general. my advice would to apply for full time, unless you live with your parents and don't mind working 4 hours a week.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Short hours
fun place to learn
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 May 2016
This place was easy to follow tasks. The hours were reasonable. The staff were friendly. The benifits were awesome. I was happy to be offered extra hours or change in days to work if needed.
Pros
freindly place
Cons
far location
Gained experience and excellent costumer service.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 September 2016
In my present job, i learned how to be responsible and extremely reliable. My costumer service skills improved and I connected with my costumers and realized how important it is to engage with every one, so they feel welcome and make them want to come back.
I grew an excellent friendship with my co-workers and supervisor, always was treated fair and welcome. It was always a fun day working with them all at once, but there is days where i work alone and have to work a lot more harder without help, but it wouldn't stop me from getting the job done. In a day of a shift is constantly standing, rushing and creating a great presentation. occasionally lifting, pulling and pushing. Definitely a fast paced environment which i didn't mind at all.
Pros
Buying the product i made and started eating healither
Cons
short shifts and low income
Relaxed, but structured work environment. Fun, and competitive atmosphere.
Floral Clerk, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC24 February 2017
Steady work, either fast or slow paced. You're never without something to do on the job. Extremely wonderful management, and employees. Lots of fun, and learning new skills, while being able to pay your bills!
Pros
Warm atmosphere.
Cons
Not enough work at the time.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC21 December 2016
my typical day working at safeway was ringing the customers order through ad weather they wanted,bags or paper bags or even if they bring their own bag and sometimes the customers wanted their items delieverd
Pros
great staff