Safeway Employee Reviews

One bully infested a culture of rudeness.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 8, 2016
Fortunately, the culture of rudeness turned out to be just an affiliation of my bullying relatives. Still, she made the workplace a havoc by taking too long to admit to the manager what she had been doing which lead to the manager not being too serious about preventing the bullying by her or an unusual customer who grasps cashiers' hands without letting go that one must struggle to wrench her hand away. Hence, he was frowned upon, but later settled down which was good to have since we are all working together for the benefit of the work team and business. Aside from this, Safeway can be a good place to start building skills: tactical e.g.register or stocking; multitasking; customer/people skills.
Pros
Benefits available
Cons
Need to check your schedule every few hours as it changes and you do not want to lose your job.
Great Pharmacy Environment
Retail Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 27, 2016
Excellent place to get started in the retail pharmacy career path. Pharmacists, technicians, and assistants all worked cohesively to ensure the best possible outcome in patient care.

The most enjoyable part of my job was coming in to work and knowing that something as simple as mixing a child's antibiotics could make a difference.
Pros
Excellent training, good atmosphere
Cons
Union controlled
Continued learning with productivity
Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, ABSeptember 6, 2016
Current work is more physically demanding. Quite strenuous considering the nature of the business. I enjoy working with several employees and find it more interesting to be acquainted with different people. I end my day knowing at least that i get to serve our customers with satisfaction and leave my work with a SMILE just as when i got started.
Pros
Unionized company with good benefits
Cons
too much liftings and bendings
Great overall!
Registered Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Frances, ONAugust 2, 2016
I am truly sad to be leaving the Safeway family. Relocating to Southern Ontario, I could not transfer to another Safeway. Awesome atmosphere, great communication between management and staff, amazing benefits.
Department manager was an amazing man who really cared for his staff and brought out the best in everyone. Great motivator and made sure to follow through with requests and policies.
Pros
Family situation oriented
Always productive and a great place to work especially with the kind of people there
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 19, 2016
I learned a lot working here. I obtained many different skills especially people skills and working with a many different people. The job was never too difficult but of course it had its challenges. Management was excellent other than the fact that you couldn't gain more hours on your schedule.
Pros
good benefits and great people
Cons
not felxible for changes in schedule
Just fun for people of they're on country
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 17, 2016
There is no chance to work for this company, specially when is running by people from India or Pakistan they only hire people from their country. Specially Saddle Ridge Location at Calgary AB.
I had bad experience when I applied there, and as a customer I notices the lack of customer service skills.
Pros
Lucky people who already have a job with good benefits
Cons
People with out consideration
Better than Nothing
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 2, 2016
The paychecks don't bounce and the schedules get put up regularly, which is more than I can say for my last job.

The union fees puts your pay below minimum wage...for nothing exactly apparent in benefits.

Managers intentionally schedule you to give you as few hours as possible and leave the store understaffed. You'll never get enough hours to qualify for any of the benefits, except maybe in summer.
Pros
Paid Breaks
Cons
Limited Hours, High Union Fees
The management culture within Safeway was very driven to succeed
PLANT OFFICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 26, 2016
Safeway was a very forward thinking organization in terms of policies and procedure's, such as Sarbanes Oxley as well as the Five S program.

My career began as a part time employee, working my way to Plant Office Supervisor managing a staff of three.

I learned to multitask and prioritize because of the nature of the business.
Pros
I had the opportunity to travel for training
Cons
Working Saturdays for inventory each month
very productive and fun place to work
Gas Station Attendant (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABMay 10, 2016
It is a great place to work. It can be very busy at times and other times very slow in the slow times there is a lot of cleaning and stocking to be done. I love the atmosphere and i love working with my co-workers as well as the customers that enter our store. There is always new things to learn on the job. when a till stops working to wrongly entered price amounts.
Pros
I get to work with great people, and there is always things to do to keep me on my toes.
Cons
I am not able to have a set schedule
Excellent work environment that prompot productivity and teamwork.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  West Vancouver, BCNovember 17, 2015
Outstanding culture with excellent management, that encourages employees, and maintain a friendly and creative work culture. Its a participation style management where employees are allowed to take initiative in accomplishing tasks and helping customers.
Loved it
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 15, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Safeway. Safeway was my very first official job. My co-workers were always a pleasure to work with. The part I enjoyed most about working for Safeway was the customers. I met and got to know so many kind and down to earth people. It feels really good to be able to go visit and have customers recognize and make good conversation you.
Enjoy working while get positive comments
deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 1, 2016
helpful management sometimes, co-worker provide helpful tips, customers are happy with my service. Now working at safeway very stressful. We cannot help customers as soon as possible. Because there are not enough employees to help them.
Pros
good benefit programm
Cons
stressful job
Good place to work but union environment
Shipping Dock Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary SEOctober 22, 2015
You work 81/2 hours a day. There is very minimal opportunity for advancement as there is a union. New employees do not have much chance of advancing into higher roles because senior employees get first call. Management is very strict especially with new employees.
Pros
You get BBQ every couple of months
Cons
Lots of heavy lifting and very strict deadlines
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 2, 2016
Provided customers the best shopping experience. One of the best teams in the industry to enhance one's skill set and advance career as it's the great place to be.
Pros
Cons
Less work hours as part time
Safeway
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABSeptember 10, 2016
Learned how to work efficietly with others, quality work and responsibility.
Learned some customer service skills if i was ever asked a question
Learned to keep a clean, stress free work environment.
There was no hard parts about the job.
Used those electronic stock guns
everyone i workedwith was nice
Pros
Walk to work, flexible hours, nice people.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABMarch 15, 2016
I enjoyed working at Safeway. I got along with my co workers. The management was good. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers.
Canada Safeway Ltd.
Cashier/ floral/ bakery (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 13, 2016
I enjoyed meeting the public and solving their concerns about day to day purchased and dilemas about products at Safeway. Moverover, I enjoyed the Team work environment established at Safeway and the team I worked with.
Pros
Perks such as gift cards, lunches and verbal feedback.
Cons
The only objection I had with Safeway was the lack of hours.
Productive place to work, many longterm employees
Senior Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 1, 2016
Various shifts available, mine allowed me to head out of the office mid afternoon.
I enjoyed multi-tasking the various claims assigned to me.
I was able to increase my knowledge portfolio to include pharmacy losses and transportation losses.
Pros
Early start to the day
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Nice and friendly, Clean Working Environment
Meat Cutter/Wrapper (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ABJanuary 20, 2016
I enjoyed working at Safeway. They have a great benefits package and willing to work around your personal life schedule. They gave me optimum training, and great customer service skills. I would work for Safeway Canada again if I was given the opportunity.
Pros
Free Snacks
Cons
Starting Wage is unappropriate.
stressful place to work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONJuly 13, 2016
A co-worker made me do all the work while she was cutting up her fruits, while i was doing my part of the job. She made me clean her dishes and whatever she used after her shift. Then after her shift I told her off, that i was stressed out, so she did it again later on. SUCKED!
Pros
nice people
Cons
lots of work