Safeway Employee Reviews

Positive work environment.
Full-time Coffee Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 November 2016
After your probationary period (200 hours), you feel secure in your job. Raises are awarded according to hours worked, which add up fast if you are full time or cover shifts frequently.
Department hours are frequently cut. If you are part-time, your hours get cut first and there are not a lot of full-time positions available.If a slacker employee goes past their probation, you are stuck with them until they quit.
Pros
Nice coworkers and benefits.
Cons
Have to get a lot done in little time.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MB13 January 2017
A typical day at work would be getting there 15 minutes early to change into my uniform and then going to clock in. I would ask where they would need me right away and then continue to do what they asked. After that i would spend my shift in a till helping customers. At the end of the day i would sign out and say goodbye to my co-workers while proceeding to get unchanged and go home.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
long time standing in one place
Always great staff and memorable customers
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 November 2016
Always kept busy, never a dull moment. Great friendships made and tons of experience. Since the changeover of companies, it was a bit more difficult due to huge changes within. Training was available, but did not always apply to work needs. Over all it is an addicting atmosphere in the management type work. You're always on the go.
Pros
great teamwork
Cons
not a lot of free time outside work
Fun environment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2016
One of the best jobs I had, the people and environment was awesome, the money and hours weren't bad at all in the beginning. Each month, my hours go shorter and shorter, and my manager didn't seem to care at all that I was having a hard time paying rent and living in general. my advice would to apply for full time, unless you live with your parents and don't mind working 4 hours a week.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Short hours
good job. keeps you busy.
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC11 October 2016
Typical day at work was setting up display and preparing self serve cases and cleaning. Helping customers and being good with customer service is essential. the people at this particular store in the seafood / meat department are top notch, quality people to work with. about an hour before close you take down display and sweep, mop the area and clean and sanitize. Never needing to work passed 6pm was very pleasing for work / life balance.
Pros
You get a paid coffee break every 2 hours of work. Union job.
Cons
Dull. Can be boring if you're used to outdoors, adventurous work.
Productive and friendly enviroment
ASSISTANT PRODUCE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC21 November 2016
I enjoyed working at safeway. I felt welcomed and my superiors continually supported my efforts to push further into the company. Overall if you have a solid work ethic you could build a solid career for yourself here.
Pros
Free lunches and coffee as well as friendly co workers.
Cons
District managers and other reviewers are a pain in some cases.
Typical day at starbucks
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC4 November 2016
A typical day at work for me includes making freshly brewed coffee, specialty drinks and preparing and stocking the snack case for the customers convenience. Making customers smile and happy about their purchase makes me happy that i'm doing a good job at what I do. I also clean and bus tables, stock the condiment area and upsell merchandise.
Pros
Free drinks, samples
Good work, not accommodating to personal schedule
Cut Fruits (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB26 October 2016
Good organised work environment. Management disagreed with each other passive aggressively, created an environment of gossip. co-workers were kind but turnover was high. the hardest part of the job was dealing with the passive aggressive environment and their inflexibility with my one day a week i needed off, but the work was enjoyable.
Good environment, friendly staff, gave guaranteed hours, acomadated school and summer holidays.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB15 September 2016
A typical day at work consist of looking at our production shelf and determining what needs to be filled or if I'm on pizza duty, I would be checking to see what pizza's need to be filled as well. In the deli department, I interact with customers on a daily basis; whether it's weighing sandwich meat, serving salad, or making a sandwich for the customer.
Pros
Regular hours
Cons
Don't really have one, just would like to try something new
Cashier/Checker
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
I really like meeting new people but I would say the hardest part is memorizing all the produce codes (but still trying to memorize) and the rude customers but I kept smiling and tried to maintain calm as much as possible. My old Safeway job at deli clerk didn't send my deli clerk training money to my bank account. I love this cashier job right now though
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Standing too long
Overall disappointed in the lack of management
Deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 December 2016
I was not at all impressed with the Oliver square location. I was a part-time staff member and was only getting 30 hours, if that per week. I showed up every day and put everything I had into my work week, and was still made to feel as if I was just a cog that was unimportant. before finding a second job to meet the needs of my small family I gave two weeks notice and moved between the two jobs , when I missed the very last shift dew to the other job that was providing more hours and the same money with out the union fees , I didn't make it in, so I was put on a do not hier list.
So for all the effort that I put into the company and all the hard work that I did I feel that it was all for not.
Management was not well equipped to deal with it's team members and everything that became broken stayed that way for months at a time. Not one of the best locations to work for in my opinion.
Productive workplace where all employees looked after each other and were friends
Cashier, Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB10 September 2016
A typical day at work started with greeting customers and helping them find what they needed to find. I learned that hard work and dedication can get you a long way. The management at this establishment was really friendly and always encouraged you too do your best. My co-workers were extremely serviceable they always tried their hardest to please the customers. The hardest part of the job was not being able to satisfy the customers needs. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping out customers fill their needs and seeing them leave happy.
Pros
Fun environment to work in
Cons
short hours
freindly
Baker and Decorator (Former Employee) –  British Columbia12 November 2016
wonderful career and great benefits. Friendly people to work with and your wage goes up as to how many hours you work so automatic raises no having to ask for a raise. Union Job and contract is negotiated every 5-10 year. there is a really good medical and dental plan
Pros
good medical if full time
Cons
must be able to work fast in a high stress job
A good company to start a professional career
Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB6 September 2016
I enjoy working knowing i am with good people around and i find it very rewarding to meet customers and assist them with satisfaction.The Management i work with are all team player, very compassionate and professional individuals. Treatment was fair and judgment on all cases are based on facts and governed by policies. The hardest part of my work is when employee/s assigned to work suddenly don't come to work and we have to work for their work or injure too much lifting and bending as things has to be done right away.
Pros
great compensation package governed by Union policies
Cons
too much lifitngs and bendings
Continued learning with productivity
Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB6 September 2016
Current work is more physically demanding. Quite strenuous considering the nature of the business. I enjoy working with several employees and find it more interesting to be acquainted with different people. I end my day knowing at least that i get to serve our customers with satisfaction and leave my work with a SMILE just as when i got started.
Pros
Unionized company with good benefits
Cons
too much liftings and bendings
its a productive and nice place to work
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 December 2016
Safeway is a very nice invirment to work for the people that work there are very nice and resptful to all of the workers that work there and I think that is the main thing that you have to look out for when working at a job placement.
Pros
you are meeting people all of the time so thats nice
Cons
very long hours
Good staff and production along with supervisors
Order Picker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  1100 King Edward street27 October 2016
Will work any shift part time or full. Enjoy walking bowling golf baseball . Im a quick learner and get along with everyone. I would like to work in another productive and fun workplace
Pros
Worked around appointments with notices
Cons
All workable with superior supports put in place
Safeway is my learning school.
Frontend Cashier and Grocery clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 August 2016
Well, I don't have any bad experience but ya there were some hectic days when i was getting tired before my shift, though it was a good learning experience. I was working as a grocery clerk and I have leant how to put groceries that it looks good and properly arranged. How we order our groceries and how we decide the price and discounts. We change every end t the end of the month so it is long process.
The most enjoyable part of the job is my collegues. They teach me everything. They are always there for me to solve my problems, my doubts and the atmosphere of the work-place.
Pros
Have been learning about team work at work-place
Cons
Not really
Productive job and great learning experience
Safeway Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mission, BC5 January 2017
Safeway is a wonderful job for a first job.
I learned better people skills and communication skills and how to deal with upset customers.
I worked with friendly and helpful coworkers and they made it easier to do my job right while also helping with anything I needed.
productive
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
As a cashier, whenever there used to be long lines up, all the employees were ready to help including managers. it was always a team work spirit.

I was even transferred to safeway Starbucks, on request asi wanted to experence a different division.
Pros
we celebrated any occasions with joint treats from the management & employees
Cons
there was no long hrs