Safeway

Safeway Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
fun job at safeway
cashier (Former Employee), Thompson, MBMay 3, 2015
At safeway i worked as a cashier. I learnt something as i learnt from Giant Tiger. There were all my friends working so it was fun over there. We all helped each other in bagging stuff and extra things to put away from there. There management is perfect. You can find things easily from the store.
Was a decent place to work.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Delta, BCMay 1, 2015
Safeway was a good company to work for, for a little while. However the management at my site was extremely poor and I eventually quit because of it.
Fun and productive working environment
Sales Clerk (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 28, 2015
My time at Safeway has been a enjoyable working experience. A regular day at work was to straighten out and organize the department. Once that is done, serving customers is a daily part of the routine.
everyone is happy
Baker (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 28, 2015
It is a fun place to work just not enough hours given to part time workers. I've learnt many things at Safeway as i started when i just finished school. The other employees are very friendly and easy to get along with.
its very productive and nice place to work
Meat Wrapper (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABApril 28, 2015
My Co-workers and managers are always there to guide and teach me about my work.
they always ask if I'm confused about something that i don't know at my work then right away they will help you so you can do your job properly.
Not the greatest workplace
Cashier (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 27, 2015
Pros: not really any
Cons: long periods of time standing, no incentives on groceries
Hard on your body, I learned their technology quickly and easily and how to deal with conflict or difficult situations with customers.
Management isn't very understanding.
My coworkers like to gossip but are overall nice.
The hardest part of the job is the standing, its hard to stand for such long periods of time.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be when us coworkers have a break and can minimally socialize, but when you get the more social customers you are able to have a good conversation and keep them happy as well.
people
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaApril 27, 2015
Pros: camaraderie
Cons: really can't think of any.
I had some of the best co-workers ever. I learned how to be the best at what I set my mind to. I am a people person and love working with the public. Management could of been more hands on but they do the best that they could. Cleaning up after someone else all the time is what I considered the hardest part of my job. Best part was the friends that I made.
It is a good workplace to gain experience and confidence
CASHIER (Current Employee), Thompson, MBApril 26, 2015
Pros: gift cards for efficiency during donations.
Cons: Unwanted and unnecessary interference of seniors . sometime un satisfactory schedule.
I enjoyed working at Safeway .I make a friendly relations with my customers and co- workers. It is a suitable place for new comers to gain confidence and to communicate the customers in healthy and friendly way.
Overall, Not Great.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), LloydminsterApril 26, 2015
The managers are not easy to talk to, booking days off was a horrid process that sometimes ended in getting in trouble for not showing up when I had the day booked off. We were disciplined for chating with our co-workers while preparing things. It was a simple job but they expected one person to be able to do a lot more than capable.
Good place to start off first job
Cashier/Bakery Clerk (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 22, 2015
Pros: Close to home, friendly co-workers
Cons: Hours get cut, inconsistent management
A usual day is occasionally busy with customers, allowing time to pass quickly. I learned the value of customer service and efficiency of providing quick service. The management is usually inconsistent of control, and while most of them are kind and understandable, others just don't provide you with what you ask for, even when you go out of your way to cover a shift.

The co-workers are all generally great, understandable, and overall friendly people. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with a customer that just delays the flow of the cashiers, holding myself back, and making other customers wait longer than they should. The most enjoyable part is being in the bakery and being able to help out customers as much as I can to their satisfaction.
the wellcoming
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 21, 2015
the most enjoyable job is the moment when your job is done nicely and perfectly .
Also when the co- worker and the manager believe in you
Unfortunately I was not impressed with this employment and employer.
Cashier (Former Employee), Regina, SKApril 14, 2015
Pros: Work and meet new people
Cons: Middle staff were very difficult to work with
I was not impressed with my employer. The middle staff made it very difficult to do a job well done. They were very critical.
Productive and friendly
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Fort st. JohnApril 7, 2015
Being in the deli was a lot of hard work,aswell as being very busy. I was constantly working on my feet for long periods of time. I learned something new everyday and, the management was super friendly. One of my favorite parts about working there was the fact that everyone was so friendly and welcoming. I had wonderful co-workers who would always help when needed, but the most challenging part would be to keep up to the costumers at times. We would have many rush lunch hours, and could become very over wehlming.
Tedious, brainless work
Cashier (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 7, 2015
Pros: Union
Cons: No benefits for part-time employees
Every day is the same. You get on a till, you must endure tens of snobby customers daily just to be yelled at by the supervisor at the end of the day. Co-workers are generally alright, however, the management is awful and disorganized. Smiling for six hours and pretending to be genuinely interested in a customer's life is definitely that hardest part. The most enjoyable part is going home.
High paced Environment, fun and challenging
Customer Service (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 7, 2015
Pros: Great team
Cons: night shifts
High paced Environment, fun and challenging. Excellent co-workers. Eventhough the work is somehow repetitive, every day there are challenging and different situations. Great opportunity to meet and deal with customerws from different multicultural backgrounds.
The job goes by fast and that makes you feel like you did something productive.
Cashier (Former Employee), St. Albert, ABApril 4, 2015
Pros: Free 15 minute coffee breaks were a bonus
Cons: I'm not a fan on how they schedule. It should be at least one month in advanced, rather than two weeks.
The hardest part of being a cashier was trying to go as fast as possible without making any mistakes to satisfy the customers. Also while keeping a conversation with the customer.
Very short staffed and with no regard for cleanliness
Part-time / Casual (Former Employee), 100 mile houseApril 3, 2015
Pros: good employees
Cons: Long hours, low pay wage
This work place was never cleaned to a proper standard for food services.
There was a limited time frame in which to complete tasks on the closing shift.
The rate of pay did not warrant the work performance or duties.

On the other hand the employees were a delight to work with and I got along with them all very well, We made our work day enjoyable regardless of the circumstances
competitive work place
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), ABMarch 31, 2015
Cons: long hours
I used to cook, clean and do closing shift.
I learned how to communicate with customers fluently, do group work. I learned more about cleaning and cooking food and how to find the correct temp for the cooked food.
Great environment to work in with great job security
Assistant Manager (Full-time) (Current Employee), Winnipeg ManitobaMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Environment
Cons: long hours
Very good company to work for. My experience in management has helped me become a better leader and to advance myself as a manager.
Productive, fun and challenging. (Fort St. John Location)
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee), Fort St John, BCMarch 27, 2015
Pros: staff parties and free lunches.
I would punch in, run to the back to start the unload, then grab carts and proceed to sort the order before stocking grocery shelves.
How to be more efficient, and how to write and place an order.
Management was great, friendly, and they were there when you needed advice or information.
Co-workers were excellent and fun to work with.
Hardest part of the job is predicting sales for the next day, and placing a solid replenishment order.
Working the order.

1 2 3 4 5

About Safeway

Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), a Fortune 500 company, is North America's second largest supermarket chain after Kroger Co., with, as – Read more