Safeway Employee Reviews

Safeway is a good company to work for as long as you are fulltime and have seniority.
Variety operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 March 2017
Have worked for Safeway for 9 years and since sobeys has taken over here is no recognition for loyalty as well as they no longer have the same family feel they used to. They are more concerned with the finances now and expect the most amount of work done on the least hours they can manage without driving the departments into the ground.
Pros
After 32 hours consecutively receive benefits
Cons
Lack of help
Fast pace, but friendly workplace.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB13 February 2017
Safeway is a nice place to work at. The coworkers are great, the customers are great and just the overall atmosphere at Safeway is a pleasant one. It is very fast pace and you have to keep up with the everyday duties of the job, but your coworkers make it the best it can be and everyone just rolls with it and we get things done. This was my first job and I'm glad my first job was at Safeway. I grew a lot as a person and pushed me towards a different career where I can expand and show off my skills that I learned at Safeway.
regular pace at moving around the building
stocking shelves (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB25 January 2017
clock in on time as always, get started on sorting out food products for the shelves to be stocked. i also learned the basics of knowing where food product came from and knowing where its to be place in groceries store. getting to other in work area gave us all a chance to get to know one another in work area. i enjoyed the friendliness of fellow co workers and the convenient of making new friends.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MB13 January 2017
A typical day at work would be getting there 15 minutes early to change into my uniform and then going to clock in. I would ask where they would need me right away and then continue to do what they asked. After that i would spend my shift in a till helping customers. At the end of the day i would sign out and say goodbye to my co-workers while proceeding to get unchanged and go home.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
long time standing in one place
Early mornings, long hours and fast paced work.
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 March 2017
Working in stock and cake decorating, Bread slicing in the morning, packaging and putting out fresh stock with first in first out rotation.
Pulling and distressing items, taking orders and preparing them. Leaving notes of future orders to be completed, organization is a must! Independent and a team player!
Pros
Staff. scheduled breaks
Cons
Early mornings!
Work as General CLerk
GENERAL CLERK (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC27 January 2017
Work environment is good. I enjoy working there and learnt a lot. Management is good. I work mostly in the evening till closing, There are lots of work for me but I enjoy doing it, Wish the pay was a little better but no complains.
Pros
Gets shifts hourly whenever I am available.
Cons
Work load for me as I do two shifts in a day. Pay is less and no benefits for buy grocery there.
Fun! Like Family!
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK19 February 2017
Safeway is a good enterance job for people. The staff is very friendly and welcoming. Overall if you spend enough time their they will feel like family. There are many different possitions to enter in and move up to. But I feel like it should only be used like a starter job and not a career.
Pros
Great work enviroment, and free food sometimes
Cons
Gets Repetitive
Fun environment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2016
One of the best jobs I had, the people and environment was awesome, the money and hours weren't bad at all in the beginning. Each month, my hours go shorter and shorter, and my manager didn't seem to care at all that I was having a hard time paying rent and living in general. my advice would to apply for full time, unless you live with your parents and don't mind working 4 hours a week.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Short hours
I worked in the deli
barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 March 2017
Working in deli requires a lot of patience, and being able to handle meats. Safeway benefits were amazing, and although I found it difficult to meet people there was a lot of job security. The management really depends, I've had micromanaging in how to cut a sandwich in half to another who allowed me to work on different areas as needed.
Positive work environment.
Full-time Coffee Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 November 2016
After your probationary period (200 hours), you feel secure in your job. Raises are awarded according to hours worked, which add up fast if you are full time or cover shifts frequently.
Department hours are frequently cut. If you are part-time, your hours get cut first and there are not a lot of full-time positions available.If a slacker employee goes past their probation, you are stuck with them until they quit.
Pros
Nice coworkers and benefits.
Cons
Have to get a lot done in little time.
Always great staff and memorable customers
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 November 2016
Always kept busy, never a dull moment. Great friendships made and tons of experience. Since the changeover of companies, it was a bit more difficult due to huge changes within. Training was available, but did not always apply to work needs. Over all it is an addicting atmosphere in the management type work. You're always on the go.
Pros
great teamwork
Cons
not a lot of free time outside work
Relaxed, but structured work environment. Fun, and competitive atmosphere.
Floral Clerk, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC24 February 2017
Steady work, either fast or slow paced. You're never without something to do on the job. Extremely wonderful management, and employees. Lots of fun, and learning new skills, while being able to pay your bills!
Pros
Warm atmosphere.
Cons
Not enough work at the time.
Life in the Deli Department
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON28 February 2017
- Hours get cut often ( I once went two weeks without getting even a 4-hour shift)
- Working a 6:00- 11:15 pm shift as a student can be very hard on you, I do not recommend.
- You will constantly smell of meat.
- Management shows little respect for part-time workers.
- You'll make a lot of friends and interesting people.
- Great selection of food to eat at your 15min coffee break (also Starbucks).
- Especially in the deli department, the working conditions are disgusting.
- You get most holidays off (Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Family Day, etc.) or get paid timeX2 for it.
- (personal opinion) the uniforms are so uncomfortable and ugly.
- Everyone is constantly in a rush so it can be a very stressful environment.
- They'll hire just about anyone, so if this is your first job I would definitely recommend it to get some work experience.
- You have a lot of responsibilities.
Pros
Extra pay for holidays, great first job
Cons
Bad overall environment
Overall disappointed in the lack of management
Deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 December 2016
I was not at all impressed with the Oliver square location. I was a part-time staff member and was only getting 30 hours, if that per week. I showed up every day and put everything I had into my work week, and was still made to feel as if I was just a cog that was unimportant. before finding a second job to meet the needs of my small family I gave two weeks notice and moved between the two jobs , when I missed the very last shift dew to the other job that was providing more hours and the same money with out the union fees , I didn't make it in, so I was put on a do not hier list.
So for all the effort that I put into the company and all the hard work that I did I feel that it was all for not.
Management was not well equipped to deal with it's team members and everything that became broken stayed that way for months at a time. Not one of the best locations to work for in my opinion.
Productive and friendly enviroment
ASSISTANT PRODUCE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC21 November 2016
I enjoyed working at safeway. I felt welcomed and my superiors continually supported my efforts to push further into the company. Overall if you have a solid work ethic you could build a solid career for yourself here.
Pros
Free lunches and coffee as well as friendly co workers.
Cons
District managers and other reviewers are a pain in some cases.
Great co-workers, not so great manager
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC16 February 2017
Enjoyed working here, co-workers were friendly, a lot of management was nice except for a few. Customers are usually seniors in Lynn Valley and are easy going and nice to talk to. The store is a bit old and needs a bit of a touch up, but I'm sure the seniors appreciate the old timey feeling it gives.
its a productive and nice place to work
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 December 2016
Safeway is a very nice invirment to work for the people that work there are very nice and resptful to all of the workers that work there and I think that is the main thing that you have to look out for when working at a job placement.
Pros
you are meeting people all of the time so thats nice
Cons
very long hours
Lots of demand for no pay
General Retail Clerk and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Trail, BC23 February 2017
I was in the produce department mainly. My tasks were simple: fill new produce, get rid of bad produce, order more produce to come in.
Safeway liked my no nonsense attitude and all of a sudden i was getting grocery/bakery/cashier shifts.
Pros
customer service
Cons
customer service
Friendly and easygoing
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, Cal30 January 2017
Working at Safeways has been very good, with flexible hours and friendly staff. All of the managers have been very helpful and accommodating and I would not mind staying on here if another job permits.
Pros
Flexible schedule, perfect for school
Cons
Can finish early, have little to do in last hours.
Typical day at starbucks
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC4 November 2016
A typical day at work for me includes making freshly brewed coffee, specialty drinks and preparing and stocking the snack case for the customers convenience. Making customers smile and happy about their purchase makes me happy that i'm doing a good job at what I do. I also clean and bus tables, stock the condiment area and upsell merchandise.
Pros
Free drinks, samples

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.