Safeway Employee Reviews in Canada

Safeway is my learning school.
Frontend Cashier and Grocery clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 23, 2016
Well, I don't have any bad experience but ya there were some hectic days when i was getting tired before my shift, though it was a good learning experience. I was working as a grocery clerk and I have leant how to put groceries that it looks good and properly arranged. How we order our groceries and how we decide the price and discounts. We change every end t the end of the month so it is long process.
The most enjoyable part of the job is my collegues. They teach me everything. They are always there for me to solve my problems, my doubts and the atmosphere of the work-place.
Pros
Have been learning about team work at work-place
Cons
Not really
Fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCAugust 23, 2016
The best part of the job was my co workers, they were all friendly and outgoing. Worst part was working so late, it closes at 12 so we were usually there until 1230.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Long Hours
Overall, a pretty good place to work.
Baker's Helper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 17, 2016
I've only experienced their bakery department; however, I did get to interract with the other people in different departments during breaks.
The average day would simply be organised tasks of meeting the daily quota of production.
The bakery manager was great at keeping a schedule of what to produce on a daily basis.
The coworkers were varied, despite a majority being baker's helpers, were versatile in their productivity.
The hardest part of the job would be the occasional double shift from day to night.
Pros
Gained new experiences from a variety of people.
Cons
Double shifting from day shift to night shift
Loved it
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 15, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Safeway. Safeway was my very first official job. My co-workers were always a pleasure to work with. The part I enjoyed most about working for Safeway was the customers. I met and got to know so many kind and down to earth people. It feels really good to be able to go visit and have customers recognize and make good conversation you.
productive work environment
Manager Trainee (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKAugust 12, 2016
physically demanding and rewarding job. I only want to leave because there is not many opportunities for growth and development past the stage I am already at.
Pros
great staff
Cons
no development
Develop life skills
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 11, 2016
Routine is not
the word I would use to describe a typical work day .Every day is a new experience .It is a learned skill to meet and greet a variety of people every day. This would include management as well as co-workers.The variety was both the most enjoyable as well as the most difficult part of any customer service position. The only person you can control is yourself and your interaction with all the different people you may encounter in any given day..
I have also found age to be a mellowing agent .
First Job
Checker (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAAugust 10, 2016
This was my first real job. It was not my favorite and it was very dull, but it's good for people who just got out of high school and need an easy job.
Awesome
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCAugust 5, 2016
Fun job, got to meet lots of new people. this job helped me stay busy

management was very kind and helped me out when i needed it

the hardest part of the job was being in the heat all day long

I enjoyed dealing with fruit
Pros
free lunches
Great overall!
Registered Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Frances, ONAugust 2, 2016
I am truly sad to be leaving the Safeway family. Relocating to Southern Ontario, I could not transfer to another Safeway. Awesome atmosphere, great communication between management and staff, amazing benefits.
Department manager was an amazing man who really cared for his staff and brought out the best in everyone. Great motivator and made sure to follow through with requests and policies.
Pros
Family situation oriented
Very friendly environment
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2016
Great place to work but the hours are not enough. A typical day is steady , I've learned how to deal with people more,work as a team mate,I've learned to focus more on the customers less on the staff from management.
Pros
Union benefit
Cons
Short hrs
Productive place to work, many longterm employees
Senior Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 1, 2016
Various shifts available, mine allowed me to head out of the office mid afternoon.
I enjoyed multi-tasking the various claims assigned to me.
I was able to increase my knowledge portfolio to include pharmacy losses and transportation losses.
Pros
Early start to the day
Cons
Short lunch breaks
staff is very helpful and friendly
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 25, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of counting the self serve products in the bakery and recording the numbers in the book provided by the manager. Tagging products 50% off as needed according to the dates. Fill the self serve. All this needs to be done before the store opens at 8am. After that a bread order must be done before 9am. Then the bread wall must be filled and any special orders must be ready to go. finally a list is made and the frozen treats are taken out of the freezer and stocked on the shelves. If im the last one in the bakery i must make sure everything is packaged and the bakery freezers like the cake displays are working properly by taking temperatures, the bakery is clean and the ovens are off.
Pros
everyone is a team player
Cons
hard to take a break
Productive, Efficient, Great Work Environment
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJuly 20, 2016
Great part time job with awesome management. Co-Workers get along well, all work as a team to accomplish joint tasks.
Pros
Flexible, Co-operative Boss, Great Supervisors
Always productive and a great place to work especially with the kind of people there
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 19, 2016
I learned a lot working here. I obtained many different skills especially people skills and working with a many different people. The job was never too difficult but of course it had its challenges. Management was excellent other than the fact that you couldn't gain more hours on your schedule.
Pros
good benefits and great people
Cons
not felxible for changes in schedule
Just fun for people of they're on country
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 17, 2016
There is no chance to work for this company, specially when is running by people from India or Pakistan they only hire people from their country. Specially Saddle Ridge Location at Calgary AB.
I had bad experience when I applied there, and as a customer I notices the lack of customer service skills.
Pros
Lucky people who already have a job with good benefits
Cons
People with out consideration
Safeway
Cook (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BCJuly 16, 2016
I found working at Safeway a very fun and interesting environment. The people I worked with were greta and so was management
stressful place to work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONJuly 13, 2016
A co-worker made me do all the work while she was cutting up her fruits, while i was doing my part of the job. She made me clean her dishes and whatever she used after her shift. Then after her shift I told her off, that i was stressed out, so she did it again later on. SUCKED!
Pros
nice people
Cons
lots of work
Canada Safeway Ltd.
Cashier/ floral/ bakery (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 13, 2016
I enjoyed meeting the public and solving their concerns about day to day purchased and dilemas about products at Safeway. Moverover, I enjoyed the Team work environment established at Safeway and the team I worked with.
Pros
Perks such as gift cards, lunches and verbal feedback.
Cons
The only objection I had with Safeway was the lack of hours.
Good place to be with good coworkers.
Gas Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 13, 2016
A nice place to be. Not much advancement where I was but I like dealing with customers & the hours were good. Working for the company was good. Ok Managment.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Problem Customers
Enjoyable woking conditions
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Frances, ONJuly 12, 2016
Safeway was a good place to work. It had a lot of in-house training dealing with the job. Co-workers were easy to get along with and were helpful with job training.
Pros
Co-workers, training, using different equipment