Safeway Employee Reviews

Positive work environment.
Full-time Coffee Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 November 2016
After your probationary period (200 hours), you feel secure in your job. Raises are awarded according to hours worked, which add up fast if you are full time or cover shifts frequently.
Department hours are frequently cut. If you are part-time, your hours get cut first and there are not a lot of full-time positions available.If a slacker employee goes past their probation, you are stuck with them until they quit.
Pros
Nice coworkers and benefits.
Cons
Have to get a lot done in little time.
good job. keeps you busy.
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC11 October 2016
Typical day at work was setting up display and preparing self serve cases and cleaning. Helping customers and being good with customer service is essential. the people at this particular store in the seafood / meat department are top notch, quality people to work with. about an hour before close you take down display and sweep, mop the area and clean and sanitize. Never needing to work passed 6pm was very pleasing for work / life balance.
Pros
You get a paid coffee break every 2 hours of work. Union job.
Cons
Dull. Can be boring if you're used to outdoors, adventurous work.
Always great staff and memorable customers
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 November 2016
Always kept busy, never a dull moment. Great friendships made and tons of experience. Since the changeover of companies, it was a bit more difficult due to huge changes within. Training was available, but did not always apply to work needs. Over all it is an addicting atmosphere in the management type work. You're always on the go.
Pros
great teamwork
Cons
not a lot of free time outside work
Good environment, friendly staff, gave guaranteed hours, acomadated school and summer holidays.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB15 September 2016
A typical day at work consist of looking at our production shelf and determining what needs to be filled or if I'm on pizza duty, I would be checking to see what pizza's need to be filled as well. In the deli department, I interact with customers on a daily basis; whether it's weighing sandwich meat, serving salad, or making a sandwich for the customer.
Pros
Regular hours
Cons
Don't really have one, just would like to try something new
Productive workplace where all employees looked after each other and were friends
Cashier, Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB10 September 2016
A typical day at work started with greeting customers and helping them find what they needed to find. I learned that hard work and dedication can get you a long way. The management at this establishment was really friendly and always encouraged you too do your best. My co-workers were extremely serviceable they always tried their hardest to please the customers. The hardest part of the job was not being able to satisfy the customers needs. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping out customers fill their needs and seeing them leave happy.
Pros
Fun environment to work in
Cons
short hours
A good company to start a professional career
Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB6 September 2016
I enjoy working knowing i am with good people around and i find it very rewarding to meet customers and assist them with satisfaction.The Management i work with are all team player, very compassionate and professional individuals. Treatment was fair and judgment on all cases are based on facts and governed by policies. The hardest part of my work is when employee/s assigned to work suddenly don't come to work and we have to work for their work or injure too much lifting and bending as things has to be done right away.
Pros
great compensation package governed by Union policies
Cons
too much lifitngs and bendings
Continued learning with productivity
Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB6 September 2016
Current work is more physically demanding. Quite strenuous considering the nature of the business. I enjoy working with several employees and find it more interesting to be acquainted with different people. I end my day knowing at least that i get to serve our customers with satisfaction and leave my work with a SMILE just as when i got started.
Pros
Unionized company with good benefits
Cons
too much liftings and bendings
Typical day at starbucks
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC4 November 2016
A typical day at work for me includes making freshly brewed coffee, specialty drinks and preparing and stocking the snack case for the customers convenience. Making customers smile and happy about their purchase makes me happy that i'm doing a good job at what I do. I also clean and bus tables, stock the condiment area and upsell merchandise.
Pros
Free drinks, samples
Cashier/Checker
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
I really like meeting new people but I would say the hardest part is memorizing all the produce codes (but still trying to memorize) and the rude customers but I kept smiling and tried to maintain calm as much as possible. My old Safeway job at deli clerk didn't send my deli clerk training money to my bank account. I love this cashier job right now though
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Standing too long
Good work, not accommodating to personal schedule
Cut Fruits (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB26 October 2016
Good organised work environment. Management disagreed with each other passive aggressively, created an environment of gossip. co-workers were kind but turnover was high. the hardest part of the job was dealing with the passive aggressive environment and their inflexibility with my one day a week i needed off, but the work was enjoyable.
Productive and friendly enviroment
ASSISTANT PRODUCE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC21 November 2016
I enjoyed working at safeway. I felt welcomed and my superiors continually supported my efforts to push further into the company. Overall if you have a solid work ethic you could build a solid career for yourself here.
Pros
Free lunches and coffee as well as friendly co workers.
Cons
District managers and other reviewers are a pain in some cases.
Safeway is my learning school.
Frontend Cashier and Grocery clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 August 2016
Well, I don't have any bad experience but ya there were some hectic days when i was getting tired before my shift, though it was a good learning experience. I was working as a grocery clerk and I have leant how to put groceries that it looks good and properly arranged. How we order our groceries and how we decide the price and discounts. We change every end t the end of the month so it is long process.
The most enjoyable part of the job is my collegues. They teach me everything. They are always there for me to solve my problems, my doubts and the atmosphere of the work-place.
Pros
Have been learning about team work at work-place
Cons
Not really
Overall, a pretty good place to work.
Baker's Helper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 August 2016
I've only experienced their bakery department; however, I did get to interract with the other people in different departments during breaks.
The average day would simply be organised tasks of meeting the daily quota of production.
The bakery manager was great at keeping a schedule of what to produce on a daily basis.
The coworkers were varied, despite a majority being baker's helpers, were versatile in their productivity.
The hardest part of the job would be the occasional double shift from day to night.
Pros
Gained new experiences from a variety of people.
Cons
Double shifting from day shift to night shift
Develop life skills
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 August 2016
Routine is not
the word I would use to describe a typical work day .Every day is a new experience .It is a learned skill to meet and greet a variety of people every day. This would include management as well as co-workers.The variety was both the most enjoyable as well as the most difficult part of any customer service position. The only person you can control is yourself and your interaction with all the different people you may encounter in any given day..
I have also found age to be a mellowing agent .
safeway
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  2325 preston ave7 August 2016
I liked that I knew what was expected of me by the end of my shift but I could use my discretion on how to make sure it all got done. The hardest part is when everything was done and no customers were shopping because it was too quiet. I liked everybody that worked there, they seemed liked they cared about me if I was sick or not feeling well. I enjoyed being around the people and I was relieved when I got all the tasks done before my shifts ended.
Pros
close to home
Cons
not enough hours
freindly
Baker and Decorator (Former Employee) –  British Columbia12 November 2016
wonderful career and great benefits. Friendly people to work with and your wage goes up as to how many hours you work so automatic raises no having to ask for a raise. Union Job and contract is negotiated every 5-10 year. there is a really good medical and dental plan
Pros
good medical if full time
Cons
must be able to work fast in a high stress job
Great overall!
Registered Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Frances, ON2 August 2016
I am truly sad to be leaving the Safeway family. Relocating to Southern Ontario, I could not transfer to another Safeway. Awesome atmosphere, great communication between management and staff, amazing benefits.
Department manager was an amazing man who really cared for his staff and brought out the best in everyone. Great motivator and made sure to follow through with requests and policies.
Pros
Family situation oriented
Good staff and production along with supervisors
Order Picker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  1100 King Edward street27 October 2016
Will work any shift part time or full. Enjoy walking bowling golf baseball . Im a quick learner and get along with everyone. I would like to work in another productive and fun workplace
Pros
Worked around appointments with notices
Cons
All workable with superior supports put in place
Gained experience and excellent costumer service.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 September 2016
In my present job, i learned how to be responsible and extremely reliable. My costumer service skills improved and I connected with my costumers and realized how important it is to engage with every one, so they feel welcome and make them want to come back.
I grew an excellent friendship with my co-workers and supervisor, always was treated fair and welcome. It was always a fun day working with them all at once, but there is days where i work alone and have to work a lot more harder without help, but it wouldn't stop me from getting the job done. In a day of a shift is constantly standing, rushing and creating a great presentation. occasionally lifting, pulling and pushing. Definitely a fast paced environment which i didn't mind at all.
Pros
Buying the product i made and started eating healither
Cons
short shifts and low income
productive
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
As a cashier, whenever there used to be long lines up, all the employees were ready to help including managers. it was always a team work spirit.

I was even transferred to safeway Starbucks, on request asi wanted to experence a different division.
Pros
we celebrated any occasions with joint treats from the management & employees
Cons
there was no long hrs