Safeway Employee Reviews in Canada

Nice Place to Work
Night Manager/Food Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kenora, ONMay 25, 2016
Had a wonderful time and I learned many things about how a business operates. It allowed me to increase and polish my customer service skills.
i love stocking shelves
stocking shelves (Former Employee) –  Brooks, ABMay 25, 2016
i love learning about new products. meeting new co workers. my most enjoyable part of the jobs is working at your own pace.
Pros
free luches
Cons
need more hours
lost their way
food clerk (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 23, 2016
after 29 years safeway lost their care factor for their emplyees . the management lost touch with the emplyees and the bottom line was the only important thing . in reality the single most valuable asset to a company is their employees and the companies should treat them like they are an asset not an expendature.
Pros
full accomidations included
not a bad job, good work enviroment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 21, 2016
I enjoyed working here, I enjoyed working with my workmates, not much room for advancement but it was laid back and worth the time I took out of my life to go to work here
great job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Smithers, BCMay 18, 2016
this wasn't to hard to learn because of the great work environment,and the co-workers were very helpful with things i didnt know.
Best Job I've Had
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 17, 2016
Grocery & Retail are not my normal lines of work. I put my resume online and was contact by Safeway for an interview so I went. I passed the screening and was selected for hiring and eventual training.

The training process was smooth and well-oiled. I became a proficient cashier, nearly, and consistently, doubling normal sales in under 90 days. My speed, accuracy and mystery shopper reviews had opened doors into specialized positions.

As a file maintenance personnel, I had been given a lot more freedom to grow, manoeuvre, and be creative so long as it fell within the job parameters.

I sought work in the corporate sector but fell short in education. I pursued that education but lost my position. My education had opened further doors to which I pursued.
Pros
Hours, Benefits, Atmosphere, Structured, Secured
Cons
Co-worker drama, primarily a female job
....................
Department Manager Starbucks (Former Employee) –  Parkland Mall, Red Deer, ABMay 16, 2016
It was a job that I needed at the time although I would never become a lifer there. I put in hard working hours every day and tried to not get in people's way but all I got was yelled at.
Pros
unionized so there were breaks every 2 hrs
Cons
the management can be real jack donkeys (insert expletive here)
Better than Superstore judging from experience.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 12, 2016
Great Union.
Average coworker, some more than others.
Friendly Manger but not so friendly Assistant Manager at the time.
Miss working there sometimes beside the constant hassle.

Happy Retirement, Sir. :)
Pros
3.5/4 star
Cons
AM is not good person
Good hours, room for advancement, not a bad job.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Medicine HatMay 11, 2016
Typical days at work were simple, most of the tasks i was assigned were easy and quick. I learned how to operate a cash register, as well as increased exposure and practice in the customer service fields. Management was always positive and easy to get along with, however getting tough answers out of them proved difficult at times.
My co-workers were always helpful and easy to work with, they did whatever they could to help out one another. The hardest part of my job was getting tough answers out of management, they lacked grit and toughness in certain situations. They seemed too eager to please everyone at times and thus certain problems were left unfixed and not solved. The most enjoyable part of my job was the amount of trust I was given, I was able to work individually and indepenenatly when the situation called for it.
Pros
Lots of hours, flexible hours, good discounts, flexible break times, lots of room and opportunity for advancement
Cons
Lack of grit and tenacity from management
Productive and fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 11, 2016
I really enjoyed going into work and cleaning up and organizing everything as well as assisted with answering phones and filing. Run by awesome people, over all great place to work
Pros
free food, great salary, short days
Cons
far from my house
Very awesome team!
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 10, 2016
I really enjoy working for Safeway, you start off above minimum wadge which is nice, the training is great and the job itself is vrey fun if you enjoy interacting with people! However they canot provide newer employees with enough hours (only 10-15 a week) so a lot of students cant afford to only have the one job!
very productive and fun place to work
Gas Station Attendant (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABMay 10, 2016
It is a great place to work. It can be very busy at times and other times very slow in the slow times there is a lot of cleaning and stocking to be done. I love the atmosphere and i love working with my co-workers as well as the customers that enter our store. There is always new things to learn on the job. when a till stops working to wrongly entered price amounts.
Pros
I get to work with great people, and there is always things to do to keep me on my toes.
Cons
I am not able to have a set schedule
Not bad at all
Exceptional customer service to customers (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 9, 2016
it was not a bad place to work at the time. Friendly environment and very safe workplace.
Enough work hours too. Won't mind working for them again
Great, fun work space with enthusiastic co-workers
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCMay 4, 2016
The work environment at Safeway was enjoyable and safe. Everything was always organized and worked like a machine. Every day was busy but the great co-workers and management team helped relieve any issues that would emerge.
Busy fast paced environment
Calgary - Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 3, 2016
typical day

customer service
cleaning
handling money
handling food

I learnt how to handle food safely and how to work quickly
Pros
good co workers
Cons
long hours and low pay for hard work
always something to do
curtasy clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 3, 2016
Loved helping customers. Unlearned the correct way to sweep a floor. overall was a good place to work. didn't like working late hours.
fun place to learn
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 2, 2016
This place was easy to follow tasks. The hours were reasonable. The staff were friendly. The benifits were awesome. I was happy to be offered extra hours or change in days to work if needed.
Pros
freindly place
Cons
far location
great people to work with.
Deli and seafood clerk (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCApril 29, 2016
I enjoyed serving the customers and working with the great staff.I enjoyed preparing the food.This was a very high paced environment where we had to multitask.The hardest part was finding reliable staff.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
very physical work
productive,friendly coworker
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 28, 2016
working on a food service is not a joke..your dealing with food that everybody can eat.so it should be healthy and free from unwanted things or not good for the body.
co-workers is very friendly,we have different culture and we learn different things from each other.
Didn't work long enough to review
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 25, 2016
I wasn't working there long enough so I don't think it's fair to do a review. My short time their was enjoyable.Try it out see if you like it. Staff that I worked with are still there so that must say something..
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a