Safeway Employee Reviews

Safeway is my learning school.
Frontend Cashier and Grocery clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 23, 2016
Well, I don't have any bad experience but ya there were some hectic days when i was getting tired before my shift, though it was a good learning experience. I was working as a grocery clerk and I have leant how to put groceries that it looks good and properly arranged. How we order our groceries and how we decide the price and discounts. We change every end t the end of the month so it is long process.
The most enjoyable part of the job is my collegues. They teach me everything. They are always there for me to solve my problems, my doubts and the atmosphere of the work-place.
Pros
Have been learning about team work at work-place
Cons
Not really
Productive workplace where all employees looked after each other and were friends
Cashier, Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Camrose, ABSeptember 10, 2016
A typical day at work started with greeting customers and helping them find what they needed to find. I learned that hard work and dedication can get you a long way. The management at this establishment was really friendly and always encouraged you too do your best. My co-workers were extremely serviceable they always tried their hardest to please the customers. The hardest part of the job was not being able to satisfy the customers needs. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping out customers fill their needs and seeing them leave happy.
Pros
Fun environment to work in
Cons
short hours
Good environment, friendly staff, gave guaranteed hours, acomadated school and summer holidays.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABSeptember 15, 2016
A typical day at work consist of looking at our production shelf and determining what needs to be filled or if I'm on pizza duty, I would be checking to see what pizza's need to be filled as well. In the deli department, I interact with customers on a daily basis; whether it's weighing sandwich meat, serving salad, or making a sandwich for the customer.
Pros
Regular hours
Cons
Don't really have one, just would like to try something new
Continued learning with productivity
Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, ABSeptember 6, 2016
Current work is more physically demanding. Quite strenuous considering the nature of the business. I enjoy working with several employees and find it more interesting to be acquainted with different people. I end my day knowing at least that i get to serve our customers with satisfaction and leave my work with a SMILE just as when i got started.
Pros
Unionized company with good benefits
Cons
too much liftings and bendings
Overall, a pretty good place to work.
Baker's Helper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 17, 2016
I've only experienced their bakery department; however, I did get to interract with the other people in different departments during breaks.
The average day would simply be organised tasks of meeting the daily quota of production.
The bakery manager was great at keeping a schedule of what to produce on a daily basis.
The coworkers were varied, despite a majority being baker's helpers, were versatile in their productivity.
The hardest part of the job would be the occasional double shift from day to night.
Pros
Gained new experiences from a variety of people.
Cons
Double shifting from day shift to night shift
Develop life skills
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 11, 2016
Routine is not
the word I would use to describe a typical work day .Every day is a new experience .It is a learned skill to meet and greet a variety of people every day. This would include management as well as co-workers.The variety was both the most enjoyable as well as the most difficult part of any customer service position. The only person you can control is yourself and your interaction with all the different people you may encounter in any given day..
I have also found age to be a mellowing agent .
Great overall!
Registered Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Frances, ONAugust 2, 2016
I am truly sad to be leaving the Safeway family. Relocating to Southern Ontario, I could not transfer to another Safeway. Awesome atmosphere, great communication between management and staff, amazing benefits.
Department manager was an amazing man who really cared for his staff and brought out the best in everyone. Great motivator and made sure to follow through with requests and policies.
Pros
Family situation oriented
Always productive and a great place to work especially with the kind of people there
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 19, 2016
I learned a lot working here. I obtained many different skills especially people skills and working with a many different people. The job was never too difficult but of course it had its challenges. Management was excellent other than the fact that you couldn't gain more hours on your schedule.
Pros
good benefits and great people
Cons
not felxible for changes in schedule
Just fun for people of they're on country
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 17, 2016
There is no chance to work for this company, specially when is running by people from India or Pakistan they only hire people from their country. Specially Saddle Ridge Location at Calgary AB.
I had bad experience when I applied there, and as a customer I notices the lack of customer service skills.
Pros
Lucky people who already have a job with good benefits
Cons
People with out consideration
staff is very helpful and friendly
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 25, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of counting the self serve products in the bakery and recording the numbers in the book provided by the manager. Tagging products 50% off as needed according to the dates. Fill the self serve. All this needs to be done before the store opens at 8am. After that a bread order must be done before 9am. Then the bread wall must be filled and any special orders must be ready to go. finally a list is made and the frozen treats are taken out of the freezer and stocked on the shelves. If im the last one in the bakery i must make sure everything is packaged and the bakery freezers like the cake displays are working properly by taking temperatures, the bakery is clean and the ovens are off.
Pros
everyone is a team player
Cons
hard to take a break
Retail work, clean and classy, backpain
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 21, 2016
Your schedule is ready for about 3 weeks ahead so that was a good point.
Your day starts with your shift, and as a Cashier, after 3 is the busy hours, and after 8 gets quite.

You will work weekends, if you choose not to, it is OK with them but you will not get good hours. So better to say Yes at the beginning then adjust your time in.

Scheduling is a good point of Safeway.

People are nice, as Safeway is expensive store, you dont see weird people come in and go, often,
Pros
Union
Cons
Insurance after 6 months of work
Loved it
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 15, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Safeway. Safeway was my very first official job. My co-workers were always a pleasure to work with. The part I enjoyed most about working for Safeway was the customers. I met and got to know so many kind and down to earth people. It feels really good to be able to go visit and have customers recognize and make good conversation you.
great workplace with SOME hardworking staff who were kind and knowledgable about the job and were very helpful
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCJune 23, 2016
a typical day at Safeway for me involves assisting costumers find items on the shelves (i memorized where everything is) carrying groceries out to their cars, cleaning bad messes in the store and in the parking-lot, dealing with the occasional thief or drunkard. we had alot of older customers i would walk them out to their cars and help them find there keys. on days when there is alot of backstock or a large orders i would help work the stock to the shelf and then organize the backstock.
Pros
.free lunches when you helped with volunteer work or store promotions.
Cons
drama, small break room, lack of privacy, lazy assistant managers, lack of staff, my food would be stolen from the fridge.
Gained experience and excellent costumer service.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 14, 2016
In my present job, i learned how to be responsible and extremely reliable. My costumer service skills improved and I connected with my costumers and realized how important it is to engage with every one, so they feel welcome and make them want to come back.
I grew an excellent friendship with my co-workers and supervisor, always was treated fair and welcome. It was always a fun day working with them all at once, but there is days where i work alone and have to work a lot more harder without help, but it wouldn't stop me from getting the job done. In a day of a shift is constantly standing, rushing and creating a great presentation. occasionally lifting, pulling and pushing. Definitely a fast paced environment which i didn't mind at all.
Pros
Buying the product i made and started eating healither
Cons
short shifts and low income
Safeway
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABSeptember 10, 2016
Learned how to work efficietly with others, quality work and responsibility.
Learned some customer service skills if i was ever asked a question
Learned to keep a clean, stress free work environment.
There was no hard parts about the job.
Used those electronic stock guns
everyone i workedwith was nice
Pros
Walk to work, flexible hours, nice people.
The management culture within Safeway was very driven to succeed
PLANT OFFICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 26, 2016
Safeway was a very forward thinking organization in terms of policies and procedure's, such as Sarbanes Oxley as well as the Five S program.

My career began as a part time employee, working my way to Plant Office Supervisor managing a staff of three.

I learned to multitask and prioritize because of the nature of the business.
Pros
I had the opportunity to travel for training
Cons
Working Saturdays for inventory each month
Canada Safeway Ltd.
Cashier/ floral/ bakery (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 13, 2016
I enjoyed meeting the public and solving their concerns about day to day purchased and dilemas about products at Safeway. Moverover, I enjoyed the Team work environment established at Safeway and the team I worked with.
Pros
Perks such as gift cards, lunches and verbal feedback.
Cons
The only objection I had with Safeway was the lack of hours.
Productive place to work, many longterm employees
Senior Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 1, 2016
Various shifts available, mine allowed me to head out of the office mid afternoon.
I enjoyed multi-tasking the various claims assigned to me.
I was able to increase my knowledge portfolio to include pharmacy losses and transportation losses.
Pros
Early start to the day
Cons
Short lunch breaks
very productive and fun place to work
Gas Station Attendant (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABMay 10, 2016
It is a great place to work. It can be very busy at times and other times very slow in the slow times there is a lot of cleaning and stocking to be done. I love the atmosphere and i love working with my co-workers as well as the customers that enter our store. There is always new things to learn on the job. when a till stops working to wrongly entered price amounts.
Pros
I get to work with great people, and there is always things to do to keep me on my toes.
Cons
I am not able to have a set schedule
An enjoyable but busy atmosphere.
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMay 28, 2016
A typical day of work used to be working with one or two other people on the weekend and working on your own for three hours out of a four hour shift on the weekend. It changed so that one was working by oneself for most of an eight hour shift on the weekend, leading to excess stress and making time management difficult.
While working with co-workers or working by oneself time management and efficiency were learned to enable one to make one drink in as little as thirty seconds.
Management in the kiosk was usually good. Upon switching to the downtown Red Deer location, the manager was careless about scheduling.
Co-workers were friendly and helpful.
The hardest part of the job was being scheduled to work alone on a very busy day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to taste test new drinks.