Safeway
3,012 reviews

Safeway Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent Customer service skills.
Cashier (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKFebruary 22, 2015
I have worked for Safeway and very much enjoyed my position as a cashier. I have excellent work ethics and show great respect for Management and my Associates. Please review my resume and please do not hesitate to contact me if you require additional information I have very good people skills and enjoy the people I serve.(Customer Service)..
Harsh place to work
Cash Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: easy tasks, low work expectations
Cons: late nights, narrow job description, little use of employees ideas/suggestions
I found my experience at Safeway, although tolerable, uninspiring and rather negative. with little room for advancement, or cooperation between employees it became increasingly difficult to proceed with working there.
easy to work for
CASHIER (Former Employee), albertaFebruary 16, 2015
very flexible and easy company to work for, just don't like the fact that its union, and have to pay union dues. Other than that good company to be with, easy hours, good people
Flexible job
Cashier (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: nice coworkers
Cons: no benefits for part time workers unless 33+ hours for more than 13 weeks.
A typical day at Safeway consists of interacting with customers and keeping the point of sale systems clean and providing customer service.

I have extended my knowledge on the point of sale system and improved my customer service skills. I also learned to do Payroll on Sobey's Kronos/SAP system and previously Safeway's SSH system. In addition, I have also learned how to do minimal bookkeeping skills.

The hardest part of the job is when it gets busy and you have to balance several customers when there isn't enough staff to accommodate individuals. Or when difficult customers and theft occur.

The people at Safeway are friendly and easily approachable, providing a comfortable environment.
good environtment
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 11, 2015
great people, always a busy location. not enough hours to survive on. therefore needing indeed to help me out find full time employment
decent place
Cashier (Current Employee), Stony Plain ABFebruary 10, 2015
Safeway is very inviting the people you will work with in my experience are very kind and patient. the only thins that gives me trouble are the miserable customers, other than that it is fun and a good place to gain experience and get money.
we make work what we want it to be come in with a positive attitude and your day will be good
cashier (Former Employee), edmonton albertaFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: meeting new people and helping others
Cons: not knowing how to cover some shifts due to short staff
a typical day would be come in and make sure all customers are satisfied if not possible try to find a solution if an empyloee does not come in cover the shift to the best of your ability or have someone come in early or stay later do what is needed to make the company work to its best ability.consult your management team to see if you need to cover the shift or if the production is down you do not need to.i enjoyed meeting new people everyday and makin their shopping exprience the best you can. i enjoyed my co-workers, but like most jobs there is tension among some
Not a career
2nd Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: flexible scheduling, helping people
Cons: lack of positive reinforcement, dead end job
I worked for Safeway for 14 years and could not advance past 2nd Assistant for the life of me. I jumped through every hoop that they presented (rural relocation, across the city, working holidays etc.) When they were sold to Sobey's they started closing stores which lead to me having to take a step back in the pecking order and take a pay cut. When they offered their employees that were making more than they were comfortable they offered a buy-out I jumped all over it. I had many instances where a promotion that I deserved was given to a female or visible minority with less experience and effectiveness. I would not recommend this job to anyone.
easy work
Cashier/Produce Clerk/Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), St. Albert, ABFebruary 4, 2015
I would go and stock fruits and vegetables, learned how to cash, management wasn't very good, was not a hard job, everything was simple
wish nights were longer
Generalist Clerk (Current Employee), Leduc, ABFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: freedom to get job done
Cons: not long enough need daytime position
I enjoy working nights, there is minimal supervision as the freezer section is my department. I go into work at 11:00 pm work until 7:30 am. I really like my job but am finding that when I get off, I come home watch tv until 3 or 4 in the afternoon. I am currently looking for a day time position to fill my early mornings to early afternoons.
friendly people
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: friendly
Cons: slow paced
It was a good experience for me while i was in school
but it wasn't fast paced for me i kind of felt like it was to slow
the people working there made it fun and always had good conversations. I was only 15 when i worked and it was for school our work experience program.
cashier
cashier (Current Employee), surrey bcJanuary 29, 2015
working at Safeway I love my co-workers management is poor does not seem to appreciate workers supervisors are great to work with very understanding the hardest part of the job is the constant change of hours and days scheduled. The most enjoyable is working with great people and great costumers.
great place to work
Journey Man Scaffolder (Former Employee), Fort mcmurrayJanuary 29, 2015
Cons: long hours
looks foward to going to work everyday, transporation provided to get u to the job site safe ,enjoys taking on new task, gets to meet lots of people. i give my all to better the company. we learn somthing new every day.
Energetic workplace
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee), Smithers, BCJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: never a dull moment, friendly co-workers
Cons: low pay, part time
A typical day would include making quality drinks for customers, occasionally checking out items from the grocery store, cleaning equipment, restocking supplies, throwing out food past its safe period, and closing or opening the kiosk. Through working at the Safeway Starbuck's Kiosk I learned how to make a variety of drinks, how to operate a cash register, how to work in a fast paced environment, and how to multitask. My co-workers were energetic and hard working. They gave excellent customer service everyday. The hardest part of the job was the fast pace and efficiency. You had to take orders while making drinks, often working on several drinks at once in addition to cleaning up after yourself as you went. As you are alone at times you are under a lot of pressure to work quickly without flaws. This could be challenging at times, but at the end of the day it paid off. The most enjoyable part of my job was the smiles you would get from people when you made the perfect latte or the little conversations you might exchange.
Fun Experience
Cashier/Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: paid weekly
Cons: no student scheduling
• Upholds and complies with company procedures, standards and policies in all situations
• Greets customers in a polite and friendly manner
• Demonstrates superior customer service in accordance with Safeway’s programs
• Process cash register payments by cash, cheque, credit card, gift card and debit
• Wrap and place merchandise in bags / carts
• Balance and reconcile cash at end of work shift
• Maintain cleanliness of check stands
• Stock various product in check stand area
Productive Fun workplace
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), calgary abJanuary 23, 2015
I truely liked this job as it was a very fun fast paced environment. I got to manage my employees, be in charge of ordering products, scheduling, having to deal with customers, be role a model, provide excellent customer service.
Enjoyable experience
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Fort Saskatchewan, ABJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: flexible hours, reasonable salary
I enjoyed working for SAFEWAY as a deli clerk and wouldn't have resigned if hadn't felt like exploring careers to get more experience.
Great place to work.
Sales Clerk/ File maintenance (Current Employee), Spruce Grove, ABJanuary 21, 2015
I really enjoy working in a retail establishment and Safeway is a great place to work. The management is exceptional,coworkers show positive attitude when at work. I am pleased with the overall atmosphere as an employee and as a full time shopper at Safeway.
Great experience
Cashier/File Maintence (Former Employee), Calgary AbJanuary 11, 2015
Removing all old sale tags. Great group of people to work with. Ensuring the proper pricing for the products. Working overnights was a challenge at first but got used to if pretty quick.
fun and productive work place with great people.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: free christmas dinners and the walk and run.
Cons: 4-8 hours
A typical day at work was serving as a Courtesy Clerk, I've had done allot of learning. Was to serve Costumers needs, Carry outs, Cleaning Shop, Returns, cleaning and putting away Buggies and Baskets, Helping other employees with there needs, taking and cleaning out Garbage through the whole shop, sweeping and picking up wet and dry spills with a mop or broom, shoveling Snow indoor entrances, sidewalks and ramps outside, and dealing with the needs from the boss, cleaning bathrooms. And the co-worker's was helpful with my questions and was there for me when I need them and easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was seeing and helping emergencies with costumers or employees, and dealing being outside with the - weather with high windshield, the most enjoyable was meeting new people with employees and customers, getting myself involved with the prostate Cancer, grabbing sponsors for the walk and run and running for prostate cancer, spending time with the employees in the lunchroom or outside of job. :)

1 2 3 4 5

About Safeway

Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), a Fortune 500 company, is North America's second largest supermarket chain after Kroger Co., with, as – Read more