Safeway

4.1K reviews

Safeway Employee Reviews

It is a fast pace environment which for me is enjoyable.
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 5, 2013
If I'm opening up (at 5:00 am), all items that have an expiry date as of the next day (ie. today is the 5th, the expiry date on product is the 6th), are to be removed and 'distressed' (which means that they will be either thrown out or composted) and then marked with a reduced price of 50% for consumers to purchase. These reduced products are put out for half a day and then either thrown out or composted. Removing all 'expired' bakery goods and marking them with a reduced price takes approximately 2 hours. The hearth oven breads are taken out and displayed for purchase in the 'hut'. Once the reduced items have been dealt with and the 'hut' has been set up, the morning baked goods (bagels, french breads & muffins) are cooled enough to package and put out. This takes approximately half and hour to an hour. While these items are being packaged and put out, I'm also serving/assisting customers. After the morning baked goods have been taken care of, bread needs to be sliced and put out. A second worker usually starts about 8:30/9:00 am, at which time I would take my first break of 1/2 hour (this is considered my lunch break because I would punch out and then punch back in). After the lunch break, it would be packaging, slicing or assisting customers. Also would be taking cake orders or writing on cakes. Once all the packaging has been done, would assist wherever needed.

If doing a closing shift (11:30 am to 8:00 pm), the main job would be slicing, packaging, and stocking bread while serving and assisting customers. Slicing bread is approximately a 3-hour job. After the bread has
  more... been dealt with, assisting with any other baked goods that require packaging and stocking. The closer is usually on their own by 5:30 pm and then starts the clean-up. Clean-up entails removing any of the hearth oven breads for slicing and packaging. The 'hut' is wiped down as well as the slicers. The bagel bins are compressed and the bagel trays are washed and dried. The bun bins are then compressed and also wiped down. The majority of donuts are packaged and put out and the donut case is then wiped/washed. The floors are swept and the garbage is taken out just before leaving. While doing the above, customers are the first priority and must be served. All items that need to be done, is done in between serving/assistance customers.

Sometimes the most difficult part of the job is trying to get all the cleaning done when there are a lot of customers to assist. Organizing and multi-tasking is a feature that is used quite frequently. My co-workers and I work very well together. We cover each other and try to make sure that all areas are taken care of.

I enjoy the multi-tasking and trying to 'juggle' every aspect of the duties required. I'm happy when there is a lot of work to do and have no problem with having to work by myself and try and get things done. I enjoy serving/assisting people. It makes me feel useful and appreciated.
Pros
it is a very busy safeway and makes time go by fast
Cons
when there is more packaging then time to do, due to serving customers
The toxic culture was too much for me
Class 1 driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 5, 2015
You punch in, get your paper work and keys, get your truck, hook up to a trailer and deliver the skids to the various stores in Calgary and the surrounding area. Usually a driver will do a 2-4 trailers a night. Most of the shifts are afternoons, 4pm until 1am.
The work is generally clean, most stores have power jacks and most stores have great people whom you get to know and like. The driving is generally local and there are postings for out of town and over night runs but it takes time to get those postings. Its generally 5 days on and 2 off, some get 4 on and 3 off.
I found the work generally mundane and that I was under utilized. Its a pretty good gig if you don't want a challenge, to advance or work hard. The union contract pays time and a half after 8 hrs, double after 10 and double on call ins. Over time and call ins are very rare in an effort to slash expenses.
The management was challenging to work with. I don't think they have much education or training, a lot of people worked up from entry level jobs and scored the opportunity by being at the right place at the right time. They are great people if they like you. However I have had the chance to work with well educated industry leaders and I feel there is a lot left to be desired in this aspect of the company.
The co-workers are mainly senior citizens, close to retirement. I had the chance to meet many good people and make a few good friends too. There are some fantastic guys there and some not so fantastic. The median age is probably around 50. I think there were 3 guys under 40. About 30-40+
  more... guys over 40. So a good place for older, near retirement age people. I felt my co-workers and management were generally condescending towards me.
The most difficult parts of the job are the toxic culture and office politics. As well as unspecified goals and no positive feedback. Its generally a very negative place and the city drivers are treated terribly. Its never good enough, fast enough, smart enough. Yet there are no specific targets or objectives for people to reach for. There is no incentive structure here either. I've found most successful companies have at least some kind of incentive and post some objectives clearly. Not here.
The most enjoyable parts of the job were the steady and predictable hours. Everyone gets paid for the hours that they work which is only fair as some companies try to play games with drivers pay. I enjoyed being busy as it made the shifts go fast and getting to talk to people at the stores or at the warehouses. Being isolated as a long haul highway driver can be difficult so having some social interaction was good.
The company, in my own opinion, is at a cross roads. Its been bought up by Sobeys and they are looking at out sourcing the transportation unit to a third party, most likely Canada Cartage. The future looks very unsure to say the least.
Pros
Guarateed hours, dental, medical, pension, union
Cons
Weak management, toxic culture, bleak outlook, poor treatment of newer drivers
Fun and well-paced working environment
Meat Wrapper (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABJune 23, 2015
A typical day at work involved 2 15-minute paid breaks and a 30-minute unpaid lunch break. The beginning of my shift usually involved wrapping the meat that had not been wrapped and put out yet. At some point through out the day temperature logs would have to be taken. Constantly I would be checking how the meat shelves look, rearranging to make the products more presentable to customers. Near the end of the day, everyone else's shift is over, so it's just me. I would clean up the meat processing equipment as fast as possible, and then serve customers at the counter until 30 mins before closing. Then, I would close down the counter and store the products from the counter. One last check of the shelves and putting out any products in the backroom, and I was done.

I learned that some jobs have to happen, and some jobs can wait. When it's just you and you can't put the job on someone else, and you can't work overtime, you have to decide what's important and what can wait.

Management was very good in my case. My meat manager took great care in getting me lots of hours and even got me out to other stores. My store manager was out on the floor lots, and I saw him quite a few times.

My co-workers were fun to work with, which always made the work easier. You had to be able to take a joke though, and all of us could give it as well as we could take it.

The hardest part of the job was cleaning up, because I am a perfectionist and I always wanted everything to be as clean as possible. I would always take way too much time cleaning up, and then be rushed to do other jobs before
  more... closing down.

The most enjoyable part of the job was either chatting with my co-workers or with customers. When people are friendly with you, talking about the BBQ they're going to have with the steaks they're buying, it just makes it easier to do your job.
Fun place to work while attending school
Cashier (Current Employee) –  18 ST 76 Ave SE Calgary AlbertaJanuary 17, 2014
In a typical day for a closing shift I am required to over see the work done by other cashiers as well as courtesy clerks. Keep them on task and maintain the shift schedual and break schedual. I also do cash pick ups from each till, audit certain tills throughout the eventing and perform closing dutys which include: bringing in all of the tills at the end of the night, changing our change machines as needed, shut down out Western Union system and print reports, counting the news papers for return, performing the store close in the computer system printing off reports and organizing them, counting tickets and calculating our sales for the day, arming cash office.
Since starting at Safeway I have learned quite a bit about the retail industry, coustomer service and some general knowledge about Safeway specific computer systems. I have learned how to enter payroll for the staff, how to instruct others in payroll, as well as how to give clear and concise instructions to those I work with.
The most difficult part of my job for me is the lack of regularity in schedualling I am hoping to find a job which is mainly performed on weekdays.
The most enjoyable part of my job is hard to choose; I enjoy interacting with customers and getting to know them, however I also enjoy working on my own in the quite of the office. My co-workers have made working at Safeway a lot of fun and I will be sad to leave however I feel that the irregular hours are not the proper fit for me any longer.
Pros
flexible hours were great for when i was attending university
Cons
weekend and evening shifts makes it difficult to spend time with family and friends
Steady, repetitive work. Co-workers are great
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 6, 2014
A typical day at work is pretty basic, serve customers, cut meat, make bulk salads, work on production, face shelves, etc..
Customers are generally well mannered and in good spirits, you get the odd grumpy and disgruntled customers, but for the most part you have more pleasant and happy then the unhappy.
I have learned a great number of things while I have been working in the deli. I have learned a lot on making tray orders and other bulk foods and how to present them in a pleasant and appealing manner. My skills with customers and co-workers have improved significantly and it continues to grow.
I do admit there have been a good number of days where it has not been the easiest to keep a smile on my face but, never to my knowledge, have I ever made a customer feel as though they were unwanted.
My boss is fair and easy to talk to about any issues I might have with my shifts or if I have any questions about what I would be working on.
I would have to say my co-workers are the best part of my job. They are all friendly and fun to work with.
I would say that there aren't really any difficult parts of my job. There are a few things that I have issues with, but those wouldn't have anything to do with work.
The most enjoyable part of my job is that whenever I get a customer that has a problem, or they cant find something that they are look for, and I am able to help them or make a solution and they leave happy. I find great pride when that happens!
Pros
flexible hours, good co-workers, friendly environment, good work
Cons
hour cuts, the odd grumpy customer
Great fast-paced environment to work in.
Service Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCSeptember 9, 2015
I enjoyed working at Safeway. The management and my co-workers were very nice. I did not have a problem with anyone there. I became good friends with a lot of my colleagues there.
A typical day at work was always good. It usually was quite in the morning and picked up around lunch time. I usually brought the carts in 3-4 times a day, depending on how busy it was. I always helped bag customer's groceries and helped customer's at the customer service desk. I also did all the garbage at the front of the store every night and took it to the back.
The hardest part of the job was all my responsibilities. I had so many things to do and I was always needed by someone. I was running all over the store trying to do so many things at once.
Even though it was very hard at times, I did enjoy it and I wouldn't have changed anything.

It became different when I decided to become a cashier as well. It brought on more responsibilities for me, but I was also able to do something different than my usual duties.
When I became a full cashier, my hours went down drastically. Sometimes I would only get 8 hours a week. But I knew that would happen when I became a cashier.
Other then the hours, I really enjoyed working there.
Pros
I
A solid place to work, where teamwork is a plus.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day at Safeway was starting your shift as you relieved the other cashier. You worked for 2 hours then got your first 15 minute break, though sometimes it could differ a bit and you might have to wait up to an extra 30 minutes before you got your break. Lunch was a half hour break usually would depend on the order of when who started, people who started at 8 am went first obviously. The last 15 minute break was around 2 hours after lunch. During the day you would simply put customers through your till in a polite and fast way. When you had no customers you would tidy up your till area and organize the front of shelf's in front of your till.

You learn how to better your communication skills, including people skills team work skills problem solving as well as how to handle money.

Management was fair for the most part, only one of the managers was unpleasant.

Almost every co-worker was nice and fun to be around. We all helped each other out.

The most difficult part of the job was when you had to deal with an upset costumer. Or the busy 2 hours from 4pm-6pm.

The most enjoyable aspect was simply working with people you got along with.
Pros
Friendly enviroment
Cons
Possible angry customers
Competitive starting wage with a workers union
Barista (Former Employee) –  Sherwood, ABNovember 27, 2015
Challenging at first but everyone is willing to help you learn and get comfortable with the workplace.
As a Starbuck's Barista working at Safeway, especially in slower locations, it is incredibly energy draining. Not because it's busy, but because you must stand around for hours just brewing and dumping coffee every 15 minutes. Due to health regulations, you are not allowed to have any personal items behind the count of the kiosk. Items include cellphones and other smart devices, books, and personal documents. This means a student may not read his books/study/do homework during the slow hours of the day. You are also not permitted to leave your workstation (the kiosk) without reason. Be expected to stand for 6-8 hours doing literally nothing. They do not hire directly into full-time, so there are no grocery benefits. and because it is not a corporate Starbucks's location, no benefits are given to barista's, full time or not.
On the bright side, all staff including part timers are required to join the worker's union UFCW. With standard benefits such as ADB.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
No benefits whatsoever for part-time employees
productivity, fun sense of community
Front line Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 1, 2013
Working at Safeway has the sense of community, co-workers and management are friendly, helpful, and supportive lending a hand when needed. Then there are the regular customers they come with a smile, sharing part of their lives events. For some customer this is an opportunity for a friendly chat.
Some of the duties are:
• give excellent customer service
• Keeping the working station clean
• Bag groceries
• Check for BOB
• Help in other department as needed
• Promote new products
I enjoy been in the service industry. I feel a friendly smile can enhance some one’s life.
My long term experience in the service industry has taught me how to meet and exceed each customer’s expectation with service that sell. I have assisted all type of customers in different settings. I realize that acquiring and maintaining loyal repeat business as well as spreading the word of a business through these loyal patrons is of the utmost importance in every company. Positioning a company for better exposure and greater marketability is a task that I have performed with success many times
Pros
friedely environment
A busy environment with a tv in the lunchroom
Order Assembler (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 20, 2014
I am a flexible member of the workforce. Depending on the shift I am working for the week I either assemble orders and am required to meet picking standards of 100%; forklifting on days I make sure product is available for the assemblers and on nights I must accurately put product away; loading trailers where I must make sure all product is accurately and safely loaded for each store on appropriate trailers then dispatch; independent shipper where I assemble orders for independent accounts and load on appropriate trailers by certain deadlines; night time receiver where I unload trailers, tag pallets of product that meet the standards for Safeway for the forklift to putaway and take care of paperwork. There is a lot more to each of these job duties and you may contact me if you have further questions.
I have learned that the more you learn is essential to new opportunities.
My co-workers are generally great and are the reason why my job is enjoyable.
The hardest part of my job is assembling as it is very physically demanding.
Pros
safety incentives, co-workers
Cons
management
fun and productive work place with great people.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 5, 2015
A typical day at work was serving as a Courtesy Clerk, I've had done allot of learning. Was to serve Costumers needs, Carry outs, Cleaning Shop, Returns, cleaning and putting away Buggies and Baskets, Helping other employees with there needs, taking and cleaning out Garbage through the whole shop, sweeping and picking up wet and dry spills with a mop or broom, shoveling Snow indoor entrances, sidewalks and ramps outside, and dealing with the needs from the boss, cleaning bathrooms. And the co-worker's was helpful with my questions and was there for me when I need them and easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was seeing and helping emergencies with costumers or employees, and dealing being outside with the - weather with high windshield, the most enjoyable was meeting new people with employees and customers, getting myself involved with the prostate Cancer, grabbing sponsors for the walk and run and running for prostate cancer, spending time with the employees in the lunchroom or outside of job. :)
Pros
free christmas dinners and the walk and run.
Cons
4-8 hours
Energetic workplace
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Smithers, BCJanuary 28, 2015
A typical day would include making quality drinks for customers, occasionally checking out items from the grocery store, cleaning equipment, restocking supplies, throwing out food past its safe period, and closing or opening the kiosk. Through working at the Safeway Starbuck's Kiosk I learned how to make a variety of drinks, how to operate a cash register, how to work in a fast paced environment, and how to multitask. My co-workers were energetic and hard working. They gave excellent customer service everyday. The hardest part of the job was the fast pace and efficiency. You had to take orders while making drinks, often working on several drinks at once in addition to cleaning up after yourself as you went. As you are alone at times you are under a lot of pressure to work quickly without flaws. This could be challenging at times, but at the end of the day it paid off. The most enjoyable part of my job was the smiles you would get from people when you made the perfect latte or the little conversations you might exchange.
Pros
never a dull moment, friendly co-workers
Cons
low pay, part time
A Slack job with slack workers
Produce Worker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 1, 2013
A typical day could include preparing and cutting vegetables, putting stock out on the floor, helping customers and other miscellaneous jobs.
I learned a great deal about different kinds of vegetables and fruits and how to tell if said vegetables and fruits are ripe or over-ripened.
Management was very strict, and did not allow any sort of real responsibility to be given to the 'grunts.'
The co-workers were all old and since Produce department only had one or two people working at once, I never really got to know many of them. The hardest part of the job was probaby answering the questions of certain customers. Some of the questions were just so random and strange it was hard to figure out an answer.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work by myself, have a set of goals and jobs I could pick and choose from (I often worked mornings, so first pick) and then I could cross them off as I go.
Pros
safeway is part of a union, so health care and dental suddenly costed me a whole lot less.
Cons
my manager was often depressed and once or twice lashed out at a few of my coworkers.
Safeway Deli Department
Deli Department Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 26, 2013
This company had no job security and no communication, I was hired in late may and soon found out that there were no hours. I found this out two weeks after not having any work that there were no hours to be given and that they had no promise of when there would be any at this location. I then went to human resources asking if there was another store that could use the help, unfortunately with the flood there was no work because they needed to accommodate the senior employees first. I never had any communication from my Department manager for several weeks. I contacted my Manager and we decided that it would be best if I were laid off due to lack of hours. Over all I do not believe that this is a good place for anyone out of school to start working due to lack of security, they make promises that there will be plenty of hours and that you will receive at least 15 a week but that is not a for sure thing.
Pros
good pay, friendly staff.
Cons
lack of hours, no job security or communication.
Great place for a first job.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCNovember 16, 2015
Overal, Safeway is a wonderful place for your first job. A typical day at work is like any other day, you have your good day's and you have your bad. I've learned that you're not always right, most of the time it's the machines mess up and not the customers cards. My co-workers are wonderful people to be around, they're always there to listen to your stories, and they really make your work ethic much better each time. The hardest part about the job is when you're very low on staff sometimes, and there's not a whole lot of people to handle the job correctly and you're left running around way too much. Best part about my job is getting to chat with strangers about their days, and getting to know your regular customers that come through your cashier till all the time. You get to meet new people among your co-workers and just expierence a great time.
Pros
great people, customers are loyal, managment is on point
Cons
open until midnight, long shifts for part time
overall.,..fun place to work...professionalism lacking in management/employee relations...co-workers generally easy to work with....
Meat Department Clerk/Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 29, 2014
....start the day with temp. checks...bb {best before} date checks...wrap and fill fresh meat counter...fill full service counter...various other duties as required by dept. manager...
....I learned a great deal about different cuts of beef, & pork...a great deal of seafood product knowledge....how to cultivate a superior work ethic...world class customer service...working as a team {most of the time}...
....management {at dept. level} usually helpful...obviously depends on personality variations...easy to work with {not for, with}...upper management too far removed from day-to-day dept. duties...did not liase too well with staff...co-workers were great...all depts....hardest part of the job; dealing with rude, unruly customers...
Pros
overall, good working environment, free lunches, cake on staff birthdays, and holiday meals.
Cons
...sometimes egos overruled professionalism...
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCApril 7, 2012
The most enjoyable part of the job was building the rapport with the customers. I loved talking to them and asking them about their day and making a friendly conversation with them while processing their orders. I also liked asking them the questions such as would you like car service - although not for all customers (even those who had light bags). I also liked telling them the benefits of signing up for an Air-miles card or for a Safeway club card. I truly believed it was beneficial or else I wouldn't have recommended it. I also liked fund-raising for certain charities such as Muscular Dystrophy because I really feel for those people who can't move their muscles and can't walk! I would personally never like to be in a position where I couldn't walk! So I enthusiastically raised a lot of money and once I was in the top three for raising the most money for that charity!
Pros
good management and team members
Cons
late nights
Very satisfactory workplace; team work is much encouraged and safety within the workplace. Dynamic management and job security and benefits..
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 22, 2012
A very challenging job, ensuring that customers are satisfied starting from greeting them; the stocks at the store are well stacked and well arranged.

Team work and safety consciousness are emphasised always. The management are dynamic and supportive, and the co-workers are very warm and amiable. Nothing in the job considered too hard except where the assignment of the day has to be at the cooler (cool room) and when the volume of the stock is very large and has to be completed within a specific time limit. Meeting people with a view to assisting them and accomplishing the assignment/task of the day can be very satisfying
Pros
prompt payment, and the associated premium; insurance coverage, and benefits; advancement opportunity
Cons
working night shift always.
Fast-paced workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 8, 2013
Being a cashier @ Safeway is fast-paced and the shifts go by very quickly; the other cashiers are fun to work with. Management is pretty good and are easy to talk to and get along with. Unfortunetly, since it's based on seniority, there isn't alot of room for advancement or increase in hours and they are very inflexible about working around my schedule (ie: my spouse is now working night shifts & we have no babysitter for late nights); since I'm unable to work late nights anymore, Safeway wants to cut my hours even though I'm not getting alot of hours.
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people working w/the friendly job. The hardest part of the job is all the shift work and never knowing what shifts you are working the following week (since they're never the same).
Pros
10% off discount on all safeway brands & friendly co-workers
Cons
shift work & inflexibility to work around your schedule
Productive, fun place to work; employees are friendly and very helpful
Cashier (P/T) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 5, 2013
Safe was a stable, productive place to work. For me, the hardest part of the job is standing on my feet for 4 - 8 hours depending on length of shift. The most enjoyable aspect was the people - co-workers, customers and management. Everyone is friendly, helpful, understanding and considerate of others. The customers for the most part are also friendly - if one is having a bad day, I would try to cheer them up. Several have commented on my happy outgoing disposition, my smile made their day more enjoyable.

Safeway has taught me different skills - professionally and personally. I have learned to be more in tune with people's feelings and have more respect. There is always someone who is more in need than yourself. Especially the elderly and we will all be there one day. Take each day as a gift and live it as if it were your last.