Safeway Employee Reviews

The managers threw you into the job with no training and expect you to figure it out.
HMR Clerk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC22 June 2017
Often times you would have to put in unpayed overtime hours to make up for the fact that there were a lack of workers in the HMR department. The new workers received little to no training and were expected to somehow train themselves.
Pros
It's close to the mall
Cons
Overtime
Productive environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 June 2017
This job was a great environment to learn and be trained in, the people who worked there where friendly and professional.
Serving customers was my favorite thing to do there, being able to connect with them and build a repor. The team is very efficient and was always ready to help and was readily available.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Very busy and crowded
not the best
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 June 2017
wasn't treated well
overshifted
wasnt a huge fan of the work either. too much memorization. Not enough actually knowing what you are doing. could be better now
safeway. mean people
cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 June 2017
I didn't work at safeway for long but I was very disappointed in the way people treated me, co workers and managers. People liked to talk a lot of rumours but I had one friend who got me through it until I had enough.
great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC15 June 2017
safeway atmosphere is great always friendly people
lovely customers and to this day I still shop at safeway
safeway is a great place to work at
they are always encouraging you
great job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2017
i have worked with Safeway for 7 years and its a wonderful place to work. The managers are amazing and the company is great. The only issue is the hours, other then that there are no complaints.
okay
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB15 June 2017
my typical day at work is standing for 8 hrs a day cashing.and listening to peoples complaints because most of the time there is no one at the desk to help .everybody is busy doing other things that really is not their job in the first place.i have learned to be very patient with customers.as far as management goes .most are good.the culture at safeway is get the customer in and out as fast as you can when its busy.i guess its because people are in a hurry all the time,the hardest part of the job is standing for so long on the concrete floor.even with anti fatigue matts.i like interacting with customers .but not all are very friendly,some are very rude.just because something is overpriced .they tend to take it out on the cashier.they have to understand that we are only human and sometimes make mistakes.
Pros
good wages and benefits.
Cons
long hrs standing .
good work enviroment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 June 2017
very friendly staff members to work with
I work as a cashier, scan items through till and load bags into customer cart

the enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people
Pros
Friendly management and staff
Cons
Not enough hours for part time staff. need more then 8 hours a week to live in Alberta
I have enjoyed my time working for Safeway
Produce Clerk (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK12 June 2017
My time at Safeway/Sobeys Canada has been a positive one. The staff have been an absolute joy to work with, as well as none of the positions have been very difficult to learn.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Wages
focused on making money
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC10 June 2017
Working there wasn't too bad and the staff was fun to work with. Management, however, was a pain to deal with, especially if you injure yourself. I had injured myself and instead of listening to my doctor's orders on allowing me to take time off, they put me on reduced hours and the alternate work they had me doing only made my injury worse. It was hard to alternate between customers and preparing food, but it was manageable most times. Not a lot of room to work and it was hard to get anything done in a single day.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Bad management
Great job while in school
Variety/Floor Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 June 2017
Good place for a student to work, with adaptable hours and part time benefits provided by the union. Great environment to work on people skills and room to grow into different departments of Safeway.
Good place as as a starting job
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Windermere, edmonton8 June 2017
Courtesy Clerk: Provided excellent customer service; assisted with client requests & offering cashier support, maintained a safe & clean shopping environment.
Deli Department
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON7 June 2017
A typical day at work usually includes coming in and serving customers within deli department. Cutting foods for salads, cleaning and maintaining a safe work environment.
Loved my job but did not like the new management
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 June 2017
Loved my job but did not like the new management. Loved that I had lots of work to do and was kept very busy. My co-workers in bakery were great and we all worked very well as a team.
Pros
Gave me different jobs to do so it wasn't boring
Cons
New management from Sobeys buyout not caring about employees. Talked down to us.
GReat
Deli production clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 June 2017
everu one is respectable i enjioyed it a lot. I learnt time management very diverse people of various cultures. Lifting and late night. The coupons for emploess.
Good job but not enough hours
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC2 June 2017
The job was interesting and good people worked there. However it was very difficult to get more hours. a typical week was only 12 hours of work. They did give regular pay raises although they were not very large
meh
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB31 May 2017
It was a pretty okay place to work. There really isn't much to say, i'm literally just filling this out because the site requires it. So I hope you enjoyed wasting your time reading this.
Good people, bad pay
Produce Clerk, Grocery Clerk, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 May 2017
Safeway is a good place to work part time for high school students or younger, but the pay starts way too low for anyone older with bills or school to pay for. You start off with low hours and it takes years to become full time. The best part is meeting and working with lots of different people.
Pros
Meet lots of people
Cons
Low pay, high work
fun workplace being deli-clerk at safeway
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Canmore, AB29 May 2017
My typical day at work included making sandwiches, cleaning the area, and selling products to customers. I had used the cash register due to having cashier experience. I learned how to test water and other substances required to clean with. Management was great! The hardest part of the job was just standing all through shifts, i am an active person so it was not THAT hard.most enjoyable apart of the job was meeting new customers daily fro mall around the world.
the best training I've ever had!
Pharmacy Assistant Trainee (Former Employee) –  North Edmonton, AB29 May 2017
busy but enjoyable is a typical day at work, learned a lot from co-workers as a trainee, everybody is nice from the manager to co-workers, co-workers were supportive and patient with a trainee like me.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
far from where i live

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval