Safeway Employee Reviews

Pleasant C0-Workers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB24 October 2016
A typical day as a cashier would involve:
Greet customers
Scan or register customers’ purchases
Accept payments from customers and give change and receipts
Bag or wrap customers’ purchases
Process returns and exchanges of merchandise
Answer customers’ questions and provide information about store policies
Help customers sign up for store rewards programs or credit cards
The management at Safeway are all pleasant and friendly
The hardest part of my job is minimum pay and currently working 12-16 hours per week definitely need more hours.
The most enjoyable part of my job is always being around other people, whether it be co-workers or customers, and constantly interacting with other people
Learning how to deal with people, how to talk to people and how to treat people with respect is a valuable skill that will carry me far in any career, and in my everyday life.
Pros
opportunity to get out, and interact with other adults
Cons
low hours and pay
A good company to start a professional career
Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB6 September 2016
I enjoy working knowing i am with good people around and i find it very rewarding to meet customers and assist them with satisfaction.The Management i work with are all team player, very compassionate and professional individuals. Treatment was fair and judgment on all cases are based on facts and governed by policies. The hardest part of my work is when employee/s assigned to work suddenly don't come to work and we have to work for their work or injure too much lifting and bending as things has to be done right away.
Pros
great compensation package governed by Union policies
Cons
too much lifitngs and bendings
Positive work environment.
Full-time Coffee Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 November 2016
After your probationary period (200 hours), you feel secure in your job. Raises are awarded according to hours worked, which add up fast if you are full time or cover shifts frequently.
Department hours are frequently cut. If you are part-time, your hours get cut first and there are not a lot of full-time positions available.If a slacker employee goes past their probation, you are stuck with them until they quit.
Pros
Nice coworkers and benefits.
Cons
Have to get a lot done in little time.
Fast paced and makes time fly
Night Stock /Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 January 2017
Working with friendly customers always a bonus
Always keep you productive so time goes by fast
Management can be very hard on staff
Pros
Discount on grocery items, $ .25 raise every March
Cons
Hard to move up in store
Overall disappointed in the lack of management
Deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 December 2016
I was not at all impressed with the Oliver square location. I was a part-time staff member and was only getting 30 hours, if that per week. I showed up every day and put everything I had into my work week, and was still made to feel as if I was just a cog that was unimportant. before finding a second job to meet the needs of my small family I gave two weeks notice and moved between the two jobs , when I missed the very last shift dew to the other job that was providing more hours and the same money with out the union fees , I didn't make it in, so I was put on a do not hier list.
So for all the effort that I put into the company and all the hard work that I did I feel that it was all for not.
Management was not well equipped to deal with it's team members and everything that became broken stayed that way for months at a time. Not one of the best locations to work for in my opinion.
freindly
Baker and Decorator (Former Employee) –  British Columbia12 November 2016
wonderful career and great benefits. Friendly people to work with and your wage goes up as to how many hours you work so automatic raises no having to ask for a raise. Union Job and contract is negotiated every 5-10 year. there is a really good medical and dental plan
Pros
good medical if full time
Cons
must be able to work fast in a high stress job
A simple job with strict rules
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB17 November 2016
Safeway was a decent place to work, decent pay, decent management, and decent hours. Great for if you're a student and need something with shifts that go till 11pm.
Pros
simple, and easy
Cons
long hours, and boring
An okay place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2017
The job its self is very easy, I wish that it was easer to move up in the work place but its all about seniority which means that there is very little possibility of raises, and better hours unless your willing to commit to working there your entire life
It's okay
Produce Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  British Columbia20 October 2016
Department mangers were great. Store management was not. They hire more people then they need but no one gets any hours as a cashier because they don't want to pay benefits for full time employees. If you need a part time job or are going to school its fine. If you need full time. Work as a clerk or in produce.
to many people protected by union.
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK11 January 2017
fun environment, but lots of lazy people who are protected by union. most work is done by a small group of people while others are slow to move. Could have been fixed with better managment
Pros
union based raises
Cons
lazy staff
Great overall!
Registered Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Frances, ON2 August 2016
I am truly sad to be leaving the Safeway family. Relocating to Southern Ontario, I could not transfer to another Safeway. Awesome atmosphere, great communication between management and staff, amazing benefits.
Department manager was an amazing man who really cared for his staff and brought out the best in everyone. Great motivator and made sure to follow through with requests and policies.
Pros
Family situation oriented
I enjoyed the people I worked with
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB26 October 2016
The people I worked with were great. I enjoyed the physical aspect of the job and how fast my shifts would go. I liked that I could book days off when I needed to.
Pros
raises every 500 hours
Cons
not getting enough shifts
Nice work place
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 November 2016
On shift I have to break down the order, then dispatch the order according to aisles where items go. Next, I will stock the items by ensuring a proper rotation.
Good Management
Nice co-workers
safety work culture
Always productive and a great place to work especially with the kind of people there
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 July 2016
I learned a lot working here. I obtained many different skills especially people skills and working with a many different people. The job was never too difficult but of course it had its challenges. Management was excellent other than the fact that you couldn't gain more hours on your schedule.
Pros
good benefits and great people
Cons
not felxible for changes in schedule
Productive workplace where all employees looked after each other and were friends
Cashier, Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB10 September 2016
A typical day at work started with greeting customers and helping them find what they needed to find. I learned that hard work and dedication can get you a long way. The management at this establishment was really friendly and always encouraged you too do your best. My co-workers were extremely serviceable they always tried their hardest to please the customers. The hardest part of the job was not being able to satisfy the customers needs. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping out customers fill their needs and seeing them leave happy.
Pros
Fun environment to work in
Cons
short hours
Good hours, room for advancement, not a bad job.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat11 May 2016
Typical days at work were simple, most of the tasks i was assigned were easy and quick. I learned how to operate a cash register, as well as increased exposure and practice in the customer service fields. Management was always positive and easy to get along with, however getting tough answers out of them proved difficult at times.
My co-workers were always helpful and easy to work with, they did whatever they could to help out one another. The hardest part of my job was getting tough answers out of management, they lacked grit and toughness in certain situations. They seemed too eager to please everyone at times and thus certain problems were left unfixed and not solved. The most enjoyable part of my job was the amount of trust I was given, I was able to work individually and indepenenatly when the situation called for it.
Pros
Lots of hours, flexible hours, good discounts, flexible break times, lots of room and opportunity for advancement
Cons
Lack of grit and tenacity from management
good first job
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 April 2016
I learned a lot about working in a retail environment, doing work both independently and as a team. A lot of opportunity to socialize, varied paces. I didn't always agree with management, but I enjoyed working with my co-workers, who were always friendly, and there were some opportunities to see them outside of the work environment.

the hardest part of the job is once you get used to it, it begins to feel a little monotonous, which can make being enthusiastic about work difficult.
the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to see my coworkers and my occasional opportunities to experience other jobs within the store.
Pros
good pay, good benefits, good community
Cons
monotonous, sometimes very slow pace
Great training environment
Management (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC20 April 2016
Great management training within the company!
I have always loved this company however in recent years my view has begin to shift. However after 3 years at the same location with no hint at upward movement or even a location transfer my love for the company has begun to strain.
Pros
Compensation, training
Cons
Working hours, little room for advancement
One bully infested a culture of rudeness.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 April 2016
Fortunately, the culture of rudeness turned out to be just an affiliation of my bullying relatives. Still, she made the workplace a havoc by taking too long to admit to the manager what she had been doing which lead to the manager not being too serious about preventing the bullying by her or an unusual customer who grasps cashiers' hands without letting go that one must struggle to wrench her hand away. Hence, he was frowned upon, but later settled down which was good to have since we are all working together for the benefit of the work team and business. Aside from this, Safeway can be a good place to start building skills: tactical e.g.register or stocking; multitasking; customer/people skills.
Pros
Benefits available
Cons
Need to check your schedule every few hours as it changes and you do not want to lose your job.
Always great staff and memorable customers
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 November 2016
Always kept busy, never a dull moment. Great friendships made and tons of experience. Since the changeover of companies, it was a bit more difficult due to huge changes within. Training was available, but did not always apply to work needs. Over all it is an addicting atmosphere in the management type work. You're always on the go.
Pros
great teamwork
Cons
not a lot of free time outside work