Safeway Employee Reviews

blah
Deli Food Attendant (Former Employee) –  Hinton, AB18 August 2017
boring place, staff isn't very friendly, management isn't the nicest to deal with. everyone always seems to be in a bad mood when you go shopping there
supply stocker (3 months volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC17 August 2017
This was my volunteer job during high school. I love the workplace culture in Safeway, my supervisor was a friendly lady. She was willing to teach me how to prepare products and organize them properly. Colleagues were also nice to work with.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Na
Safeway
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK17 August 2017
Half-decent place to apply. Seniority really takes a major part/role in this company. If you are a student, or need a part-time job, this would be perfect.
Pros
Market Mall
Cons
Terrible Management, Random set hours, Improper Training
Safeway Summary
Produce/Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON16 August 2017
I learned a lot from Safeway such as how to deal with customers and meet their needs. I also learned lots about how a business works, and what makes it run. Management was always friendly but given that we were usually short staffed it was rather difficult for them to meet your needs, that was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part is being able to work with your coworkers and make an entire department look great in very little time and having the customers appreciate that. Also being able to be trusted with the department by yourself is a great sense of responsibility and great way for me to prove my worth, which I have been told I did time and time again. Overall I enjoyed my time at Safeway thoroughly and will miss it.
Pros
Friendly customers, Air Miles, knowledge of produce, make your own task list
Cons
Inconsistent schedule and hours, department changeovers, new employee hired and fired everyday.
good
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MB13 August 2017
good company to work for the manager was great and was always there for you and the people where great as well good team happy customers as i worked in the gas bar
productive greta team spirit ,hard worker ,always on time and enjoy long working hours,easy going and very accurate.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2017
i had fun enjoy the staff and i learnt a lot .very good place to work and the management very descent and fun as well .my time there was full of work and i got offered so many hours of overtime.
Pros
enjoy work
A learning Experience
PROFESSIONAL FOOD CLERK (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 August 2017
I generally enjoyed working here as the staff and overall environment was supportive. However, my only concern was the rotating of new managers in which schedules were changed without notice. This occurred a few times but it was still a annoying problem!
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Rotating Managers
Friendly Staff
Starbucks Manager (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC5 August 2017
Very friendly co-workers and always willing to help! The downside is that the company works archaically and has no intention of evolution. The answer is always "always been done that way".
Pros
great staff
Cons
old fashion way to do everything
Safeway was a great first job !
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 August 2017
-uplifting environment
-equality
-health code up to par
-Great benefits
Pros
Great management
Easy
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB3 August 2017
Easy to learn, nice people to work with. they were able to work with my scheduel. Great managers, and nice customers. working there was a pleasure....
It was average
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 August 2017
Spent 7.5 years of my life with Safeway. Was hoping for more advancement opportunities than there were.

It was generally a flexible job with scheduling as long as you give them enough notice.
Used to be a very good place to work, but would not recommend now.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB2 August 2017
I've worked there for almost ten years and for the first five it was a really great place to work, really flexible with the hours(which it still can be, but perhaps too much), there was a great group of people I worked with throughout the whole store not just my(the deli) department. After year five it started slowly going downhill, probably due to lack of sales. Started cutting hours and too much shuffling around of full time staff with frequent manager swaps for poor reasons, poorly trained managers. My store especially seemed to have a lot of staff shuffled through and had hours drastically cut. You were consistently working short staffed and constantly rushing around. Nothing would ever get done due to business and no staff around but you would still be treated as if you weren't doing your job properly. Then after some time instead of that, more work would be forced on the more competent/capable employees thus giving us more work and higher expectations than other people. And this all got much worse after Sobeys bought out Safeway. So basically, five years ago, I would highly recommend a job at Safeway, but no longer.
long and tiring
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB1 August 2017
most of the time we were short staffed or improperly scheduled, forced to take on multiple tasks that may be to much for one person to do. management wasnt great help when we were short and sometimes expected improperly trained staff to take on some of the managers responsibility.
Pros
star bucks
Cons
no food discounts, hours were inconsistant
Has some solid people, but the pay, advancement, and expectations poor..
GENERAL CLERK / PRODUCE (Current Employee) –  Burnaby Heights, BC1 August 2017
Worked there for a year and have gotten a raise of $0.20 which is ridiculous this day and age!

They expect so much but lack the staff to do the job.

Only redeeming factor is that I had a few good coworkers that knew the struggle as much as me.
Pros
Can have decent coworkers
Cons
low pay, irregular hours, little to no advancement, high expectations with little feed back.
Review for Safeway
Cashier/Bakery/Floral Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC1 August 2017
A place for people who do not want to work hard and want to abuse their seniority. I worked with a bunch of them before. 4 employees stole groceries from the store and the store manager did not care about it at all! People were lazy but had higher seniority than me kept giving me her mid-night shifts and taking my shifts away.
was very Productive, fun and filled with kind hearted people
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB31 July 2017
Safeway was such a good experience overall. When I came in to work I was greeted by the employees all time. The management were very professional but were always kind when giving out instructions or tasks. The hardest part of the job was that the deli was always busy so there were tons of things to get done at all times and the best part was that every one of the employees always tried to keep a positive and supportive atmoshere.
Pros
lots of benefits
Cons
sometimes not enough hours
Fun people, fair employers
Cashier, Customer Service Desk, Self-Checkout (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 July 2017
Fairly busy store, always something to do. Management can relate to all employees. Cashing is an easy position, and people are easy to get along with.
A fun and interesting place to work
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB22 July 2017
I enjoy working at Safeway. There is opportunity to increase responsibilities and training.However hours are being cut and i am no longer able to continue working there from a financial point of view.
Pros
variety, excellent management, friendly co workers
Cons
variable hours, lots of evening and weekend, not many hours of work.
was great
Store Auditor (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC21 July 2017
was good place to work, nice people learnt alot was very educational
The job was an important one,
Our store personnel were very helpful in giving directions that I needed.
productive workplace
Cashier, Bakery and Floral Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC19 July 2017
Safeway was a fine job, not something I overly enjoyed but not something I strongly disliked. The hours were not great, but if you work there long enough they get better. Would recommend if looking for part-time work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval